DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

who is the most overated dj? who deserves the hype?

roctakon 6:31 AM - 6 February, 2006
There have been no intresting threads in a wile, so lets get it poppin...

Best---Louie Vega, Timmy Regisford, Dj Riz

worst---man I cant say but there are a lot of em....
nickel 6:35 AM - 6 February, 2006
I really don't think eric cubichi derserves any hype... his sh..t is wack!!
DJMark 6:36 AM - 6 February, 2006
best: Louie Vega and Danny Tenaglia (I would vote a tie for the two of them).

worst: a tie between Tiesto and whoever the first person was to hook an iPod up in a club and pretend to be a DJ.
t. mallis 6:36 AM - 6 February, 2006
roctakon did u start this discussion?
t. mallis 6:38 AM - 6 February, 2006
roctakon i think u started this discussion so stop being a little bitch and talk some sh!t who is overated???
DJMark 6:40 AM - 6 February, 2006
Quote:
roctakon did u start this discussion?

Oh, God...please not another one of these.... :-(.
t. mallis 6:46 AM - 6 February, 2006
mark dont hate on tiesto cause nobody wants to hear u dj...
Brandon Fisher (BLF DJ Supply) 9:54 AM - 6 February, 2006
Tiesto is good but I think Paul Van Dyk is better. Most overrated thats a good question.
djHSL 12:31 PM - 6 February, 2006
Tiesto is lucky he is a good looking guy.

I've watched him perform, live and on video, and most of his DJ-ing is performance dance rather than musical artistry.
youngego 1:51 PM - 6 February, 2006
Best: DJ Tanner (Full House) / Djay (Hustle & Flow)

Worst: DJ Qualls (Road Trip) hands down.....
youngego 1:55 PM - 6 February, 2006
Nickel, Cubiche doesn't have to be good, he is bangin Jamie Pressley and he is on the radio. He also had a shiny watch on the last time I saw him, and he wears Chrome Hearts, just like Wilmer does. Get it together five pennies short of a dime.
nik39 2:08 PM - 6 February, 2006
All I can see is hate. *yawn*
DJ GaFFle 4:35 PM - 6 February, 2006
Best: DJ SW1 (from In Living Color)
Worst: DJ A-Trak, Qbert, Cash Money, Roc Raida, Alladin and Jazzy Jeff

:)
GoodVibez 5:05 PM - 6 February, 2006
Quote:

Must be under the influence
s42000 5:57 PM - 6 February, 2006
Quote:

LOL ....

Dj SW1 ????????? ... Now thats some repugnant sh!t right there.
t. mallis 6:26 PM - 6 February, 2006
u guys cant excpect battle dj's to rock a club..these guys have not left there bedroom in like 10 years, they are prisoners of there own obsession to scratch..Worst: DJ A-Trak, Qbert, Cash Money, Roc Raida, Alladin and Jazzy Jeff.. i too agree these guys can not play a club except for jazzy jeff he could probly put every dj on this message board into an early grave..
earwolf 7:03 PM - 6 February, 2006
u got gaffled
Likwid 7:12 PM - 6 February, 2006
haha SW1 -- good ol' Shawn Wayans.

All those battle DJs (Qbert, A-Trak, Roc Raida, Jazzy Jeff) are ill. They're not club top 40 DJs, but they are probably the most skilled DJs out there.
DJ Evil One 7:22 PM - 6 February, 2006
i loved how SW1 would act like he was speeding up the record to get to the right tempo and then start dancing behind the tables.

now THAT is djing!
mister iLL 7:26 PM - 6 February, 2006
craze can out-battle anybody AND rock a club no problem.
nickel 9:01 PM - 6 February, 2006
youngego
are you implying that cubiche has meraculously over the years got him name out there enough, to not even have to be good any more (not that he ever was...)
roctakon 9:57 PM - 6 February, 2006
Craze can rock some dance music raver shit but I really dont see him djing in a hip hop club.....

also being a skilled battle dj does not make you an all around skilled dj. Thats just one area, to be an all aroud dj you need to be dope at more than just one thing, I've seen djs rock harder than some of the best battle dudes, without ever scratching, just mixing cleanly....

You put that dj booth up where no one can watch and its a whole different game.....
playing well in a club takes years of experience just like doing battles and for the most part battle dudes CAN NOT hold down clubs......

Why do you think that so many battle djs you heard so much about a few years ago are not doing shit now......

Name me more than 3 battle dudes that are touring the club world and doing full sets.....

Hell Name 1......

there arent any Except maby a-track but he is on some hipster shit and not really doing the real club circut. Try playing some Dip set in a club with models and celebs and see what happens buddy.....(not to diss a trak I think he is the best beat juggler of all time)
and enferno from dc does clubs but he did clubs before he did battles so hes got roots in it...

Whats really at the bottom of it is NO ONE gives a shit about DJ battles anymore, they are corny, and the djs in em are usually carbon copies of the people who pioneered it all... Except merg thats my man but I would never ask him to fill in at a club for me....
DJUnknown 10:04 PM - 6 February, 2006
errrr, Jazzy Jeff can rock clubs
roctakon 10:06 PM - 6 February, 2006
Jazzy Jeff not a battle DJ ........
DJUnknown 10:07 PM - 6 February, 2006
J Rocc
DJUnknown 10:07 PM - 6 February, 2006
Jeff was a battle DJ
DJUnknown 10:09 PM - 6 February, 2006
I do see your point though.
shmok1 10:10 PM - 6 February, 2006
eeerrrr guys are you serious?? you're comparing apples to bananas. stop hatin.

i like apples better.
djrocket 10:17 PM - 6 February, 2006
Best: I like Kid Capri, Jazzy Jeff, Cash Money, Skribble, and Master JMJ
over rated... I don't think most of the popular dj's are over rated. They got well known for a reason. I just don't think you make a name for yourself and suck. I think you may not like them, but to say they suck is a different story all together. With that said and I don't want to hate, but for the sake of this topic over rated would prob be DJ Clue, and Funk Flex

I think they all represent in they're own way.
roctakon 10:28 PM - 6 February, 2006
Um yea jeff did battles true. But when talking about "Battle DJ's" its reffering more to the post q-bert ISP times..... Back in the NMS and Early DMC days it was not its own subculture its was hip hop djs who competed... What I think we are all talking about is the modern type of battle dj....

J Rocc was NEVER A BATTLE DJ.... He cant even do a simple scratch.... but he can do a party....

I dont think its compairing apples to bananas, ITS JUST A FACT.... JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE CAN WIN A CONTEST LIKE DMC DOES NOT MAKE THEM AN ALL AROUND GOOD DJ. JAZZY JEFF IS AN ALLAROUND GOOD DJ. BUT JUST BECAUSE SOMEBODY WINS A CONTEST THAT DOSEN'T MAKE EM THE BEST DJ THAT MAKES EM THE BEST CONTEST WINNER.
DJ GaFFle 10:32 PM - 6 February, 2006
The title of this forum was "who is the most overated dj? who deserves the hype?"...I don't see anything specifying CLUB or BATTLE.

The guys I mentioned as my worst are my favorite battle DJ's. As far as clubbers, I like any DJ that can rock the crowd (with his music and NOT his mouth). I dislike LOUD-mouth Flex/Cluemenati-style DJ's (I also think they ruined the art of good mixing and blends - just my opinion).

For the record, Cash Money is NasTy in the club on a hip-hop set. I haven't heard him in a while though.
nik39 10:47 PM - 6 February, 2006
Pure haterism and shouting in this thread. What a waste of time.
DJ GaFFle 10:54 PM - 6 February, 2006
I ain't shoutin' H8trism against Flex and Clue (maybe, but I think they suck and I don't like their styles...or mixtapes)
nik39 11:20 PM - 6 February, 2006
Well at least you are not shouting ;) I cant understand why people think that using uppercases makes their opinion more right. Like redman said, whuteva man.
roctakon 11:39 PM - 6 February, 2006
HI IM USING CAPITAL LETTERS OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!

YOU ARE THE WORST PC GUY OUT HERE. WE ARE HAVING A DISCSSION YOU ARE NOT A MODERATOR, THIS IS NOT AN AOL CHAT ROOM LIKE THE ONES U GO IN TO MEET YOUNG BOYS SO CAPTIAL LETTERS DONT MEAN ANY THING. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT READ THE THREAD. DO YOU HAVE AN OPINION MR 39? IF SO SHARE IT IF NOT FEEL FREE TO F--- OFF!

WHATS WRONG WITH A LITTLE SHIT TALKING, IF WE WERE ALL LIKE OH MAN EVERY BODY IS SO GREAT I LOVE ALL DJS BLA BLA. IT WOULD BE A BORING WORLD. I CAN 100 % BACK UP ANYTHING I SAY WITH SKILLS. SO IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT.... BUT IM NOT EVEN TALKING TRASH IM STATING FACTS...... FOR THE MOST PART BATTLE DJS ARE NOT USUALLY (THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS) COMPETENT NIGHTCLUB DJS.....

ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN BOOKING DJS OR WITH NIGHTLIFE EXPERIENCE WILL AGREE WITH ME.....

I HAVE NEVER SEEN YOU POST ANYTHIG OTHER THAN POLITICALLY CORRECT POINTLESS DRIBBLE!!

I CHALLENGE YOU TO NAME TWO REALLY GOOD DJS AND TWO REALLY OVERATED DJS IF NOT PLEASE START GOING TO

WWW.HAPPYFUCKOFFLANDWHEREEVERYBODYLOVESEVERYBODY.COM

INSTEAD OF THIS SITE.....

ON A SIDE NOTE PLEASE DONT BAN ME, BECAUSE YOU KNOW HOW ANNOYING THIS 39 GUY IS.
djHSL 11:42 PM - 6 February, 2006

That link didn't work ... could you post again?
LoKey 11:42 PM - 6 February, 2006
Here's a lil' story about DJ Skribble. You might've seen him DJing for MTV's spring break shows and for my NY peoples, he used to be on Hot97.

There was a party at my college around 98 or 99 that he was supposed to be spinning at, but he was late. His apprentice/junior parter/backup dude was on time, so he held down the party (pretty well). When he finally got there almost 2 hours later, he got on the decks and said 'wassup' to the crowd, and just like loveable New York peoples, we booed him. Alot. And he was like "Oh, yawl wanna boo??" And then he proceeded to rock the muthaf&@#ing house. I mean were were pissed that he was late and didn't wanna party to his set, but when he got on, he was that good. He even did a beat-jugglin set with his parter guy, and the crowd ate it up.

Skribble is one cat who deserves his fame. I had only been spinning for about a year at that time, but thats when I realized what a skilled DJ really was.
anewsome 11:43 PM - 6 February, 2006
@nickel - I am doing a gig with Eric Cubiche on Friday so I will let you know if he is over rated and whack or if he deserves the hype. You know I am keeping it real.
roctakon 11:48 PM - 6 February, 2006
there we go..... thats what im talking about this is an intresting thread, not just, THIS:

OH WOW TTM57

YEA NEAT TTM 57

YEA UM WHERE SHOULD I BUY MP3'S?

UM iTUNES STORE DUDE

UM THANKS...

LETS KEEP THIS THREAD GOING...
DJ Yaz 11:54 PM - 6 February, 2006
Nik, Let them talk some trash. It's harmless, and mildly interesting. They are just trying to stir things up because they are bored. So let em... I don't mind reading it.
Revolutionary 11:57 PM - 6 February, 2006
You have obviously not read the Terms and Conditions, roctakon.

Or in your native language
YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY NOT READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, ROCKATON. (OMG)
nik39 12:22 AM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:
I CHALLENGE YOU TO NAME TWO REALLY GOOD DJS AND TWO REALLY OVERATED DJS IF NOT PLEASE START GOING TO

Good DJ: Me, myself and I.
Bad DJ: Go and figure. Hint: I think the DJ's caps key got stuck.

Quote:
I HAVE NEVER SEEN YOU POST ANYTHIG OTHER THAN POLITICALLY CORRECT POINTLESS DRIBBLE!!

Let's assume you read enough posts from me to be able to judge accordingly, then only conclusion which someone could draw from that sentence is, that you cant read.

Why is it that you want to fight all the time?
DJUnknown 12:27 AM - 7 February, 2006
Overrated---Funkmaster Flex (living off early to mid 90's name, DJ Clue(living off exclusives)

Rockaton, are you the same Rockaton that was in DC that they were comparing to Ceelo, if so you got skills.
roctakon 1:13 AM - 7 February, 2006
yea thats me Ive beel living in NY for the past four years, and that is really great to hear....

Thanks Man....

I like talking trash but its all for fun....

As for Flex he is like a human Cartoon str8 up joke......

I dont wanna fight all the time just killing time, fucking around, im sure u hold it down I just like causing a rukus!
nik39 1:15 AM - 7 February, 2006
If Flex is a joke, whats Tony Touch then? I've seen him live once, and I couldnt believe that I paid the entrance fee just to see this guy doing such a wack shit.
bush 2:10 AM - 7 February, 2006
Is this you there with the big trophy?

images.google.co.uk
bush 2:12 AM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:
Craze can rock some dance music raver shit

He cant, ive heard some of his drum and bass sets, they sucked.
roctakon 4:19 AM - 7 February, 2006
yea thats what im taklin about some shit talking......

Yea thats me about 6 years ago....

And Yea I was not the best battle dj....

Nik 39 talking some real shit!!!!!
prof. rockwell 7:24 AM - 7 February, 2006
There is a certain amount of ignorance I'll tolerate, but the garbage being passed off as knowledge in this thread and on this board is unfathomable.

Roctakon - when are you gonna take your head out of your ass and think before you speak. J-Rocc not a battle DJ who can't do a simple scratch? He actually has participated in many battles, and while he is not Babu or Melo-D, he can cut. You've admitted in the past that you don't really know much about the LA scene, so keep your trap shut about things you don't know about.

two really good DJs: Doc Martin, Cut Chemist,
two really overrated DJs: Roctakon, Chloe Sevigny's brother

three good battle djs that also are good club rockers: Shortkut, Cash Money, Rob Swift

and define a 'real' club. Are we talking about big ass jiggy spots that only celebrities and the people who wish they were celebrities go to? Or are we talking about real clubs that real people who are doing real things go to?

Jiggy spots only go off on weekends, and real clubbers know that weekends are for amateurs.

And everyone baggin on good DJs based on seeing them once? I'd like to ask you how many times you've had a so-so set. When you're playing out as often as some of the cats listed in this thread, you're bound to have an off night here and there. No one bats 1000. no one.
JohnDP1 8:54 AM - 7 February, 2006
there is a post on the Allen&Heath Xone Forum that states that Tiesto did not have his mixer a Xone 92, plugged in during his DVD concert of 2005.

All the lights on the mixer where off and as a owner of a Xone 92 myself I can tell you that the Xone lights up like a Christmas tree during use...
GoodVibez 10:24 AM - 7 February, 2006
I have seen Craze rock at a top 40 club in cincinnati and everyone ate it up.I also seen Roc Raida jam out at a rave before Dieselboy and everyone seemed to have a good time.Seen Questlove in Miami during the Winter Music Conference on a yacht last year and he played really well.
roctakon 12:25 PM - 7 February, 2006
I would agree cut chemest is dope...

Paul Sevigny is a friend and he may not be the most skilled dj but he does play dope music...
Also He dosent even really dj anymore....

At least Im rated enough to be overrated....

I'll take being overrated and Paid and djing 5 nights a week at top clubs to being broke, Living deep in brooklyn, and djing once a month at a shitty bar for 100 dollars and free drinks any day of the week.

Lets face facts Ive been doing this

If you want send me a copy of one of your mixes and if its decent I can get you some gigs. Im not joking ether if you want a couple of decent paying gigs I can hook you up, I can see you dont have any. No Stones Throw records on the mix please, you know play some party shit.....
GoodVibez 12:55 PM - 7 February, 2006
DJ Shadow
concorde_pilot 1:18 PM - 7 February, 2006
:o :o
lame thread... just hating
Likwid 2:17 PM - 7 February, 2006
Whats the difference that there arent too many battle DJs that rock the club scene? Thats not what they do; stop hatin on it.

There arent any club DJs that can rock the battle scene, so whats your point? Just cause theyre battle cats doesnt mean theyre not some of the illest DJs out there.
LoKey 3:50 PM - 7 February, 2006
I been to Funk Master Flex, Clue AND Tony Touch parties and they all rocked, especially Flex. I'll admit he was much better in the 90's (but then again what about Hip-Hop wasn't better in the 90's?), but trust, he was dope.
And Clue might've fallen off, but he straight up revolutionized the whole mixtape game to what it is today. When I was in high school, Clue (cassette)tapes were like crack all over NY. The mom & pop joints couldn't keep 'em in stock and the bootlegs sold for as much as the originals(five bux). This is back when he actually scratched, cut and blended on the tape. He might be a large commercial cat now, but he's one dude who made his name on the streets.
And Touch, I been to a few of his parties and they were all pretty tight. he was the first one in the states to rock with that Ben Ari violin chick around 2000. The dude's a legend for a reason.
DeezNotes 3:51 PM - 7 February, 2006
What about the DJs that get the hype because of their name? A party can be hype because people are amped over the "stardom" rather than the set. Some of these well-known DJs can get away with a lot of shit based on their name alone. Where if an unknown DJ did some shit like that, they would get boo-ed.

I heard a story where Kid Capri played an instrumental by mistake, picked up the needle, got on the mic and said "my bad, I played the wrong version" and when he played the vocal everybody went nuts. Now, I wasn't there, so I can tell you how the shit was executed... and I think that Kid Capri's gift is more the mic than the tables (nowadays), but let "DJ From Down the Street" do that shit and see where it gets him.
LoKey 4:00 PM - 7 February, 2006
A name alone don't get you fame. To the general public, a DJ ain't much more than a human jukebox. And it's hard to tell one DJ from another especially if people want to party, they're gonna get down no matter who's behind the tables. SO if a DJ can stand out and make a name for him/herself, they must be doing something right (or have big breasteses).
DeezNotes 4:09 PM - 7 February, 2006
I love titties. But I got more respect for Jazzy Jeff who is still doing mobiles and rockin' the hell out of his parties after being a DJ for so many years. I used to love listening to Celo, but after a while his radio show consisted of him dropping the "bomb" 40-50 times over him talking. No music, just him hating on the other stations. I respect Celo, cause he's a dope DJ. I guess as a DJ, I want to hear him DJ like he did before he was a Pit Bull.

I guess when it comes down to it, DJs have more than one audience. 2 of those are DJs and then there's everybody else. Us DJs look and listen differently, and in some cases what we think don't really matter that much. I respect Jeff, because he holds it down for us DJs AND the crowd. I respect any DJ that can accomplish this. I refuse to buy a mixtape that ain't mixed and got a bunch of yelling with that damn echo echo echo echo echo echo echo
DJUnknown 5:07 PM - 7 February, 2006
Yeah that bomb ishhhh and the talking is irritating I think he picked up that bad habit from when he went to NY for a while (no offense NY---lol), but when he's actually djing dude is talented, he could mimic the cuts so well on a record that it was sound like two records playing at the same speed (flanging). Anyway, Gary (DJ Book) holds it down nicely on PGC. the few times I did hear him.
DeezNotes 5:13 PM - 7 February, 2006
Word. Props to Book. He fills that spot nicely.
anewsome 5:59 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:
there is a post on the Allen&Heath Xone Forum that states that Tiesto did not have his mixer a Xone 92, plugged in during his DVD concert of 2005.

All the lights on the mixer where off and as a owner of a Xone 92 myself I can tell you that the Xone lights up like a Christmas tree during use...

Dude, are you saying that Tiesto did a Milli Vanilli at a concert? As crazy as it sounds that this might have really happened,.. even crazier is that I believe it.
anewsome 6:04 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:

And everyone baggin on good DJs based on seeing them once? I'd like to ask you how many times you've had a so-so set. When you're playing out as often as some of the cats listed in this thread, you're bound to have an off night here and there. No one bats 1000. no one.

I am going to have to agree with this. I had a rare off night last Saturday night. Just wasn't feeling it for some reason. Luckily DJ Boogi was there to pick me up, he killed it. But this dude is right,... no one can have an outstanding set every single night. Well,.. I take that back. If you do the same set every night and it's the set you've practiced 100 times then I guess it will be bangin every night but that shit only works if you play somewhere different every night. Residents can't do that shit.
prof. rockwell 7:00 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:

I'll take being overrated and Paid and djing 5 nights a week at top clubs to being broke, Living deep in brooklyn, and djing once a month at a shitty bar for 100 dollars and free drinks any day of the week.

Lets face facts Ive been doing this

If you want send me a copy of one of your mixes and if its decent I can get you some gigs. Im not joking ether if you want a couple of decent paying gigs I can hook you up, I can see you dont have any. No Stones Throw records on the mix please, you know play some party shit.....

I think it's hilarous that everyone thinks I'm elitist for asking if folks actually have records or not, and you can get away with crap like this. Not everyone wants to be a rockstar playing for coked out starfuckers.

But for real, I just may take you up on your offer just to surprise you.
t. mallis 1:00 AM - 8 February, 2006
roctakon you are out of controlll!!!!!!keep it up,
but stop fronting like u are getting dudes jobs, just tell him u need a new mix cd to play from 11-12 to keep the bartenders and managers entertained..
anewsome 1:13 AM - 8 February, 2006
Classic! Yeah, I can get you some jobs too. Just send me some mixtapes. I only accept mixtapes without DJ drops on them.
nik39 1:49 AM - 8 February, 2006
HAha =) Where can I apply? I want to be down. Holla.
funk21 5:14 AM - 8 February, 2006
It seems that most of the discussion is on hip hop DJ's and to tell you the truth I haven't seen to many. Most of the Battle DJ's I've have seen have been in a Battle contest situation so I took it for what its worth-it was good by the way. Of the DJ's I have heard playing Hip Hop/Break Beats tops would be:

Kid Koala
Coldcut
DJ Krush
Fat Boy Slim(yes, Norm Cook can really rock it)

D&B

Jumping Jack Frost
Blame
LTJ Bukem
L-Double

House

Brett Johnson
Mark Farina
Derrick Carter

Tech-House/Techno

Tiga
Steve Bug
Jesper Dahlback
Richie Hawtin

Most Overrated

DJ Rap-If she wasn't beautiful she'd be nothing-really bad producer too!!!

Anne Savage-Lay off the blow and drinks, take some pride in your work

Tiesto-Lame Lame Lame

David Morales-Okay I know the guy can rip shit up but the last few times I've seen him I've been so disappointed.

Armand Van Helden-Your a house DJ not a hip hop DJ. People who know who you are go because they want to hear you spin house.
germanbaboon 5:32 AM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Tiesto is good but I think Paul Van Dyk is better. Most overrated thats a good question.

Ok in all honesty, this may raise controversy. But look at it. Paul van Dyk does mix better, but what does he do with every track he gets? He remixes it. This isn't to say that the "paul van dyk" sound he creates is bad. But ask yourself, how hard is it to mix two paul van dyk songs? or two tiesto songs? or two andy moor songs? His whole set is composed of those. I try to stray far away from even getting two of the same remixers close to one another in a set. my 2 cents.
Brandon Fisher (BLF DJ Supply) 5:51 AM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Ok in all honesty, this may raise controversy. But look at it. Paul van Dyk does mix better, but what does he do with every track he gets? He remixes it. This isn't to say that the "paul van dyk" sound he creates is bad. But ask yourself, how hard is it to mix two paul van dyk songs? or two tiesto songs? or two andy moor songs? His whole set is composed of those. I try to stray far away from even getting two of the same remixers close to one another in a set. my 2 cents.

This is true its very easy 2 mix their tracks together.
anewsome 6:00 AM - 8 February, 2006
One of these days I am gonna start a flame war by saying that electronic dance music is infintely easier to mix than hip-hop. I mean, if I was really going to state how I feel about the difficulty of mixing two records together, I might say that the steady 4/4 beats, 2 minute intros, buildups, breakdowns, mixout spots and so on make emd easier to mix,.. but I won't say that. Much respect to emd dj's. Even if your tracks are all pretty much tailor made for mixing.

That's not a flame war I want to start today. But if I did want to,.. seriously. Who would disagree?
anewsome 6:01 AM - 8 February, 2006
emd = edm (or electronic dance music). vodka fingers got me craaaazy.
germanbaboon 6:11 AM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
One of these days I am gonna start a flame war by saying that electronic dance music is infintely easier to mix than hip-hop. I mean, if I was really going to state how I feel about the difficulty of mixing two records together, I might say that the steady 4/4 beats, 2 minute intros, buildups, breakdowns, mixout spots and so on make emd easier to mix,.. but I won't say that. Much respect to emd dj's. Even if your tracks are all pretty much tailor made for mixing.

That's not a flame war I want to start today. But if I did want to,.. seriously. Who would disagree?

I would definitely agree with you, being a trance dj. Rap/Hip-Hop is a mess of shyte to me. It makes no sense to me. I enjoy it, but not that much, not enough to DJ it. Although it may take more skill to dj rap/hip-hop. IMO, the music lacks substance. I mean, when do you get to a point in your musical career [being the musician you are] when you start making songs about jewelry on your teeth [i.e. grillz] or making a girl "twert some". I DJ trance more for the passion I have for that particular genre of music more than the prestige and skill of dj'ing it. Don't get me wrong, I give up "mad props" to all those rap/hip-hop dj's. And i envy them in the ways and knowledge of the music. But I think maybe two seperate worlds? I'd go out on a limb, because I believe this is true of some trance and say it is the classical music of our day. my 2 cents again.
nickel 8:01 AM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
@nickel - I am doing a gig with Eric Cubiche on Friday so I will let you know if he is over rated and whack or if he deserves the hype. You know I am keeping it real.

thanks for looking out :) wut club?? if you don't mind me askin...
JohnDP1 8:09 AM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Dude, are you saying that Tiesto did a Milli Vanilli at a concert? As crazy as it sounds that this might have really happened,.. even crazier is that I believe it.

yes, the guy who wrote that post said he watched the DVD frame by frame and no lights ever went off on the mixer.
nickel 8:09 AM - 8 February, 2006
from prof. rockwell:And everyone baggin on good DJs based on seeing them once? I'd like to ask you how many times you've had a so-so set. When you're playing out as often as some of the cats listed in this thread, you're bound to have an off night here and there. No one bats 1000. no one.

very valid point.. i won't judge a dj unless ive heard him "3" times or if he specificly stole a certain mix that i recognized thats not his.
DJMark 8:48 AM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yes, the guy who wrote that post said he watched the DVD frame by frame and no lights ever went off on the mixer.

After seeing a bit of a Tiesto video a year or two ago, I suspected something like that might be going on and no lights on a Xone 92 certainly does sound like damning evidence to me.

I think of Tiesto as the Pat Boone/Fabian/Shawn Cassidy of our time...entirely riding on looks.
bush 11:41 AM - 8 February, 2006
Tiesto is ugly though, his head is huge.
DJMark 12:42 PM - 8 February, 2006
He does nothing for me either, no accounting for taste. He doesn't seem to be aging gracefully, I'll say that.

Whatever, Jerry Bonham from San Francisco is a much better DJ for trance music...both technically and in terms of music selection.
bush 1:04 PM - 8 February, 2006
He marketed himself well, fair play to him I say. He made some big tunes too dont forget.
prof. rockwell 1:53 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:

I wouldn't. I got into this exact same argument with the house DJs where I work at. Their argument was that dance music is harder to mix because they have to hold the mix longer than in hip hop.
bush 2:00 PM - 8 February, 2006
Who cares which is easier? No one plays the music they play cos its easy to mix, they play it cos they like it. Just get on with it.
germanbaboon 2:53 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:

I wouldn't. I got into this exact same argument with the house DJs where I work at. Their argument was that dance music is harder to mix because they have to hold the mix longer than in hip hop.

There is valid argument here. But I don't think house/techno overall is harder to dj than rap/hip-hop. definitely takes more skill to dj rap/hip-hop. you may have to hold the mix longer in house/trance, but you have to be very quick and active while dj'ing rap, there is not a lot of time to mess around.
anewsome 4:58 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for looking out :) wut club?? if you don't mind me askin...

www.owlus.com

Some Orange County ish. Eric Cubiche and Arabian Prince is coming out for this one too,... and me of course.
GoodVibez 5:01 PM - 8 February, 2006
I rock Drum and Bass and Old Hip Hop and I would have to say that for me it is a equally just as hard. DnB is alot faster and when you drop and double drop and then start skratchin that takes skill. Where Hip Hop is much slower and you do have to mix a lil faster and not mix to many verses into another for a horrible mix of words.It is what it is and as long as you love what you're doin who cares what is harder or which one is'nt.As long as there is effort thats cool wit me.I am even starting to get into new skool breakbeats to be more diverse.

respekt
nik39 5:25 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
you may have to hold the mix longer in house/trance, but you have to be very quick and active while dj'ing rap, there is not a lot of time to mess around.

Exactly.
bush 6:13 PM - 8 February, 2006
Tell that to the likes of ben sims who play 4 decks
nik39 6:42 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
you may have to hold the mix longer in house/trance, but you have to be very quick and active while dj'ing rap, there is not a lot of time to mess around.

Exactly.

I correct: Exactly, if you use only two decks and not additional equipment.

Happy now? :)
bush 8:33 PM - 8 February, 2006
But even when your playing techno on 2 decks you dont have time to stand around, listen to any good techno dj and he will be playing at least 25 tunes an hour minimum.
nik39 9:01 PM - 8 February, 2006
Hm, my experiences are different. 25tunes an hour is a good performance if you spin hiphop. The elec. djs I have seen so far they can probably spin a whole night with one record box crate, normal size. Good Hiphop djs use much more records, from my (!) experience.
anewsome 11:15 PM - 8 February, 2006
ahem. some hip-hop djs in the club only play songs for 30-45 seconds each, tops. i think someone has convinced them that the more records you play during your set, the better you are. i am not making this up either. 30-45 seconds tops.

at my nye party there was another dj in the other room, a girl friend of mine said "the music was ok in that room but everytime i heard a song i liked and went to dance, by the time i got to the floor the song had changed". i had to explain to her that this dj must think he's really good because he plays 100 songs in an hour.

me personally, i like to let a jam ride for at least 2 minutes unless it's a transition record. catch a verse or two and at least a little hook and maybe mix out on the hook but a lot of r&b/crossover records have a rap or something interesting toward the end so i'll usually let that play thru too.
DJBlisk 12:02 AM - 9 February, 2006
I hate dudes who play 2 seconds of a record. WTF? you schizo or something?
germanbaboon 12:16 AM - 9 February, 2006
Quote:
But even when your playing techno on 2 decks you dont have time to stand around, listen to any good techno dj and he will be playing at least 25 tunes an hour minimum.

this isn't true of trance. techno maybe. [yes there is a difference] but the way trance is composed is way different. it's much longer. if you are a good trance dj and you know where you want your mix to go and what the next song is going to be, you may have some time to spare. but you should be using as much time as possible to mix it as synchronized as possible. of course this all useless if you don't start the mix with a good release.
germanbaboon 12:20 AM - 9 February, 2006
Quote:
ahem. some hip-hop djs in the club only play songs for 30-45 seconds each, tops.

this may take really good multitasking skills as a dj. but as far as pleasing the crowd, is that really being a skilled dj? i think this 30-45 second idea is how people who don't know good music listen to good music. i have one friend who has horrible taste in music. basically it's any song that has swearing or some sexual innuendo to it. but he won't even listen to the whole song, it's like 30 seconds and then he hits next track. maybe more and more people are getting like this? and if that's what the crowd is like, then that sort of dj would be pleasing the crowd.
bush 12:29 AM - 9 February, 2006
Quote:

this isn't true of trance

True dat, theres time to go for a piss between mixes in trance.
chau 12:40 AM - 9 February, 2006
i think dj roctakon rocks out cuz he left lil ol dc to do big things hah! he djed a couple of times fer us little asian people and changed our lives forever.
roctakon 1:06 AM - 9 February, 2006
YO YO chau what up!!!!! Whats Good!!! PM ME!
roctakon 1:06 AM - 9 February, 2006
YO YO chau what up!!!!! Whats Good!!! PM ME!
Frostino 1:39 AM - 9 February, 2006
Chau sucks as a party DJ because he doesn't have Camp Lo - Luchini. If he did, I'd get laid more.

I bet Roc would play it. haha
t. mallis 4:08 AM - 9 February, 2006
if roc played camp lo at any of his weeklys they would probly not ask him to play the following week...
RaneDJNZ 4:45 AM - 9 February, 2006
Super Greg is da number one! zmax.org
anewsome 5:54 AM - 9 February, 2006
dude. i thought chirpflare was gone!

for those that don't know,.. Super Greg = chirpflare
DeezNotes 5:58 AM - 9 February, 2006
Hey, the original Super Greg web page! That brings back memories.

If you haven't done it already: www.monobrow.com
custom_1 1:51 PM - 9 February, 2006
Dj chirpflare
smushparker 5:45 PM - 9 February, 2006
Quote:
ahem. some hip-hop djs in the club only play songs for 30-45 seconds each, tops. i think someone has convinced them that the more records you play during your set, the better you are. i am not making this up either. 30-45 seconds tops.
me personally, i like to let a jam ride for at least 2 minutes unless it's a transition record.

unless its a current hot record or an early set, i "quick-mix" a lot during parties, usually going a verse into a song and then mixing out during the chorus or breakdown. people are sort of ADD, even when they are drunk, also, not everyone appreciates the same songs or genres. so give them a taste, and before they complain or get sick of something (which is typical with playing party-type music), i'm already into the first verse of the next song.

by the way...i think this style does much better in the trendy mainstream clubs than with a more hip-hop crowd. the latter wants to hear a lot of new shit and the former knows less about whats new and wants to just hear songs they know and can sing to all night. that being said, u can only hear "don't stop til you get enough" so many nights. thats why i say, one verse in, next song.
anewsome 6:08 PM - 9 February, 2006
smush,, are you an LA Laker?
smushparker 6:50 PM - 9 February, 2006
yes, but since kobe gets all the shine, i thought i'd try making a name for myself with djing.

ha, this board got spoiled with celebrity screen names ='ing real names(45 King, Green Lantern, etc.).
anewsome 9:02 PM - 9 February, 2006
hmm. i'm confused then. why would someone call themselves smush parker if he wasn't. I think I'll change my name to DJ Conan O'Brien.
DJ Evil One 9:08 PM - 9 February, 2006
i'm really michael jordan.
parke02 11:58 PM - 9 February, 2006
most overrated dj is by far qbert.

wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overated
hologram 1:44 AM - 10 February, 2006
Wait who said J Rocc wasn't a battle DJ?

I was the working at Glam Slam LA during one of the battles he entered in like the mid 90s. He is most definitly a capable battle DJ. I remember he was pissed because he thought we cut his set short. I had to show him the time on the DAT tape machine to prove to him we didn;t cut him short.

Come on guys get your facts straight.
hologram 1:51 AM - 10 February, 2006
Oh and Qbert was rockign parties for Legend as a guest DJ at the Variety arts center in LA in the mid 90s too. He can most definitly do club sets.
DJGeeve 3:15 AM - 10 February, 2006
DJ Lil Pete is my hero......
DJ KAST UNO 4:33 AM - 11 February, 2006
wow..this post is comedy..lol...
DJ KAST UNO 4:33 AM - 11 February, 2006
wow..this post is comedy..lol...
pokerface 11:13 PM - 11 February, 2006
Who deserves the hype........In NYC DJ Ace and DJ Goldfinger used to kill it- haven't heard them in a year or two though.
dj floss one 1:50 AM - 12 February, 2006
i'm lovin the shit talking.

best: dj riz, kenny dope on versatility, anoyone who can rock a serious nyc club that isn't full of people with taste and patience.

worst: no comment
Jay-P 5:23 AM - 14 February, 2006
Jrocc did battles back in the day....Team competitions with the Beat Junkies. Qbert was doing mobile gigs for years. Whoever said that must be 16yrs old. Do some homework, a lot of these guys paid their dues when a lot of newschool DJs were still playing in the park.

I dont want to hate but to me the most overrated DJs are a lot of the over paid house DJs out there. I think most experienced HipHop DJs can easily mix electronic music with little practice. lol.
DJ KAST UNO 5:56 AM - 14 February, 2006
by the way..i was at aer last thursday for a little bit..and on the way out i heard that it was roktacon spinning...tru? if so...good shit...you were doing your thing...
roctakon 8:07 AM - 14 February, 2006
Yea that was me.... I was good untill I saw Riz and choked... Ha Ha Riz Lurking is the best way to make a dj nervous and choke, he is the man.....
DJ KAST UNO 6:29 PM - 14 February, 2006
lol...niiice...i saw him coming in while i was on the way out...lol
Alixx J 7:15 PM - 14 February, 2006
Worst DJ: Frank Bruno!!! Used to be the most famous heavyweight boxer in the UK and tried dj'n for a while, saw him at the syndiacate superclub, he got confused which cd was playing and pressed cue on the wrong side not once, but twice! then when he figured that out, he went and played a the same song three times in half an hour... probably alzheimers from all the punches...

I just cant believe that they let him play at one of the biggest clubs in the UK cos of his 'celebrity' status.
I was a sucker to pay to see that haha! embarrassingly painful to watch...
earwolf 1:27 AM - 15 February, 2006
LOL Alixx!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:00 PM - 7 January, 2011
bump
djcrap 8:27 PM - 7 January, 2011
dj Pauly D is the most overrated....lol
BERTO 8:27 PM - 7 January, 2011
Klutch and Chachi are sick
DJN1X0N 8:37 PM - 7 January, 2011
DJ pauly d, have you ever heard him scratch? horrible.
AN!M4T0R 9:39 PM - 7 January, 2011
Pauly d is the sickest dj on the 1s ands 2s no buddy be for him and know 1 af-ter hIm willl be as good turntablest as him noe what I am saiing

Allz uz guyzzzz iz iz haterz
The Real DJ Pauly D 9:41 PM - 7 January, 2011
Thanks bro!!
jevo9 2:02 AM - 8 January, 2011
Quote:
Thanks bro!!

the sad thing is this fool acts like its the real pauly d! lol dream on sucka
DJ Remy USA 3:41 AM - 8 January, 2011
sickest DJs

DJ danny S I havent heard a guy that kills it like he does.

Worst DJ

to many to name but you know who they are
DJ Remy USA 3:42 AM - 8 January, 2011
oh yea and Revolution kills it on the scratchin
DJ Remy USA 3:43 AM - 8 January, 2011
oh yea and DJ angelo he taught me how to cut so I gotta big him up
DJ Alkemy 4:43 AM - 8 January, 2011
Mr Thing is so underated on the cuts.
dj shadow from detroit 9:56 PM - 3 June, 2012
dj skribble is overrated.but has done alot . but in my opinion did not impress me at all. i expected way more.
djvtyme85 10:42 PM - 3 June, 2012
I've seen scribble rock a crowd, you buggin
jwagner 12:26 AM - 4 June, 2012
^

Watchwww.youtube.com

sorry bud he sucks.

in a 8 min video that was supposed to be him killing it, he did wack scratching over a preproduced beatclans beatbreak frank sinatra--> empire state of mind transition.

The rest of it was wack slam ins of shitty mash ups that he should have been doing live with and acapella and instrumental to at least give off something that represented talent.

Just my opinion, I'll give credit where credit is due. There's at least 100 djs on this board that are better. Gotta give it up to his hustle tho, if people wanna book you, might as well take it, I respect that.
DJ Remy USA 1:35 AM - 4 June, 2012
Yall need to realize skribble has been around since a lot of you were shittin in diapers. He has proven to be dope as hell. Now he may be getting old and not be as creative as he younger skribble but saying he sucks is kinda disrespecful at least to me it is
DJ GOOK 1:46 AM - 4 June, 2012
^^ I agree
djvtyme85 2:30 AM - 4 June, 2012
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So I cant say its "disrespectful" I can say I my opinion is he is a legend in his own right. I have seen him rock a crowd in person and I respect him. There no such thing as a perfect set in my opinion and a lot of what I see on the web is never my basis of judgement.
Nicky Blunt 2:36 AM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
Mr Thing is so underated on the cuts.

+1 Mr. thing is naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty!!!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:59 AM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
^

Watchwww.youtube.com

sorry bud he sucks.

in a 8 min video that was supposed to be him killing it, he did wack scratching over a preproduced beatclans beatbreak frank sinatra--> empire state of mind transition.

The rest of it was wack slam ins of shitty mash ups that he should have been doing live with and acapella and instrumental to at least give off something that represented talent.

Just my opinion, I'll give credit where credit is due. There's at least 100 djs on this board that are better. Gotta give it up to his hustle tho, if people wanna book you, might as well take it, I respect that.

lol @ postin a promo vid in a guitar center as if it was his breakout gig
djdalite 4:16 AM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
Yall need to realize skribble has been around since a lot of you were shittin in diapers. He has proven to be dope as hell. Now he may be getting old and not be as creative as he younger skribble but saying he sucks is kinda disrespectful at least to me it is

+1 him in young black teenagers and i remember him and noodles on mtv showin people off the street how to cut, then they would do there thing (dope) - then the mtv spring break around the world with him spinnin was dope.

point in case - dood deff has skillz - he's old im sure a lil burnt out, a lot of alcohol and annoying patrons takes its toll

hes commin to my club in a few weeks or so i guess i can give yall an update on his mixin skillz
BERTO 4:35 AM - 4 June, 2012
If seen skribble fucking kiiiiiiilllllll it hisnuse of the efx 1000 in his live sets makes shit crazy!
BERTO 4:35 AM - 4 June, 2012
His use*
DJ Tecniq 4:52 AM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
dj skribble is overrated.but has done alot . but in my opinion did not impress me at all. i expected way more.
Skribble over rated..no way he deserves to be in the spotlight --> Watchwww.youtube.com now however...i will agree that since this digital age he has lost alot of his creativity. To be quite honest I think he wings alot of his sets.
DJ Tecniq 4:59 AM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
^

Watchwww.youtube.com

sorry bud he sucks.

I have to agree this was pretty horrible..why i said he prob even winged this set with little to not planning...i have that exact same mashup..personally i think it's quite cheesy.
dj shadow from detroit 7:51 PM - 4 June, 2012
he just played with me saturday night. im not saying he sucks. im stating my opinion and the 2 hr set he played i was not feeling. and i wasnt impressed ( i respect his hustle and accomplishments )

i expect a top 100 dj to do more and to do some stuff i have never seen before. much respect to him. i would never pay to see him dj and ontop of that he was an asshole. he jumped on my tables which before the gig i said he could no problem. he wasnt talkative never a thank u for making this possible or anything.... i thought for sure he would be better then that.
Dj Shamann 8:06 PM - 4 June, 2012
I've never seen him play but I know his name rings out, and from videos like that MTV one there's no way you can sit there and say the dude sucks LOL

Maybe he's lazy in his old age or just doesn't care to do a DMC style routine when booked at a Top 40 club, but the guy doesn't "suck".

Whether he's an asshole or not is a different story, I'll leave that to those who have been around him.
bicedidit 9:09 PM - 4 June, 2012
skribble is nasty.
your buggin

funk flex is nice but is def over rated.
DJ GaFFle 11:01 PM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
he just played with me saturday night. im not saying he sucks. im stating my opinion and the 2 hr set he played i was not feeling. and i wasnt impressed ( i respect his hustle and accomplishments )

i expect a top 100 dj to do more and to do some stuff i have never seen before. much respect to him. i would never pay to see him dj and ontop of that he was an asshole. he jumped on my tables which before the gig i said he could no problem. he wasnt talkative never a thank u for making this possible or anything.... i thought for sure he would be better then that.

Misquote anyone?
DJ Remy USA 11:52 PM - 4 June, 2012
ok you talked me into

Quote:
Quote:
he just played with my balls saturday night. im not saying he sucked them. im stating my opinion and the 2 hrs he played with my balls I was not feeling it and i wasnt impressed with his head game either ( i respect his sex game tho )

I didnt know you and skribble were tight like that.
Joshua Carl 12:41 AM - 5 June, 2012
Ive stood 2 feet from skribble, and even set up his (be it a shit load of gear) rig for him.

dude holds it down on the real though.

and while Im certainly not on his Iphone contacts list, everytime Ive been in the same spot as him
he has taken a minute, and gone out of his way to shake my hand and say whats up...that goes a long waaay in my book.
its easy with his long list of accolades in our realm to walk around like a doosh, but he don't.

plus he can chug a 40 of apple juice while spinnin and not need a piss-break record...
djvtyme85 2:57 AM - 5 June, 2012
Lol at the apple juice
dj shadow from detroit 4:00 AM - 5 June, 2012
like i said just my opinion.
dj shadow from detroit 4:03 AM - 5 June, 2012
all the other comments are really not needed. this forum is about opinion's. just saying not really feeling what he did. you have to understand i come from a background of djs from detroit. with that being said im saying detroit djs are on another level whether they are older or not. i expected alot more.