Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

.wav or .aif file opens in vlc but wont play in serato

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane Sixty-Two
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Res-Q 4:20 PM - 19 May, 2013
- Note that I have never seen this happen on a .wav or .aif file before.

-1- I drop and analyse in SL (offline player) a .wav file I got from a guy who ripped a vynil for me. This file plays fine in other players such as vlc.

-2- the .wav file shows up as corrupted (the file data is not in pcm format), and there is no wave form and of course no audio being played.

-3- I drop this .wav file in a daw to export it as a .aif file and try again.

-4- The new .aif file plays correctly on other players such as vlc.

-5- I drop and analayse the new .aif file into SL, this time no corruption sign, but still no wave form and of course no audio.

*I will upload both files so you guys can have a look.
Thx for the help.
5:10 PM, 19 May 2013
Res-Q attached a file: Love Is Not A Gamble.wav
Download· Permalink
6:15 PM, 19 May 2013
Res-Q attached a file: Love Is Not A Gamble.aif
Download· Permalink
deejdave 6:23 PM - 19 May, 2013
I am not saying that Serato is not supposed to play these files but I will say that VLC playing ANYTHING is never a good enough reason to assume they should. The reason being is VLC will play pretty much any file under the sun.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:18 PM - 21 May, 2013
Wav loads as corrupt with a flat line which represents no waveform / audio.

Aiff file doesn't appear as corrupt even after analyzing but it too has a line for a waveform which means no audio.

What if you convert one of those files to AAC or MP3?

Make sure you have a current version of Quicktime installed on your computer.
Res-Q 7:41 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Wav loads as corrupt with a flat line which represents no waveform / audio.

Aiff file doesn't appear as corrupt even after analyzing but it too has a line for a waveform which means no audio.

Yep Chad, that's exactly what I described above.

Quote:
What if you convert one of those files to AAC or MP3?

Make sure you have a current version of Quicktime installed on your computer.

Yes It works if I convert the wav to aac, but why would I want to convert to a lossy format, when I have an original lossless?
Dont get me wrong Chad, but ScratchLive is supposed to read .wav and .aif files, or at least it should show the .aif as corrupted. Either way reading or not there is a bug, either Serato should get a way to play these file, or mark the aif as corrupt.
pueblofunky 10:25 AM - 24 May, 2013
I think the problem is the "not in PCM format". Normally the codec is PCM/uncompressed.

Can you try foobar2000 1.2.6 and load the file into the library and let us know the content of the column "codec"?

Maybe you can try if foobar2000 can play the file.

Which software and settings have been used during ripping the vinyl?

I think Chad didn't mean to switch to a lossy format. He only wants to know the results of the test.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:35 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:

I think Chad didn't mean to switch to a lossy format. He only wants to know the results of the test.

This is true. It was more of an experiment. There have been some issues with wav files in the past. Serato has a better grasp on it but it had something to do with an extra number in the codec of the files and that extra number is what causes the issue.

Knowing that converting them works is good. I understand your desire to keep the wav but if you kepp the originals backed up somewhere, this allows you to play the music until the issue can be resolved.

Do be sure that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed. I will move this to a special section that will alert the serato tech team. They may have an update on this issue.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:51 PM - 24 May, 2013
Hey guys,

Just to confirm the situation here:

- The wav file is detected in Scratch Live as corrupted due to "not being in PCM format" going from the Scratch Live diagnosis.

- The Aif file behaves the same way a corrupt file normally would, however it not being flagged as corrupt. This is the bug, correct?
Res-Q 2:38 AM - 26 May, 2013
Hi Martin, yes correct
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:02 PM - 30 May, 2013
Ok thanks DJ Res-Q, not sure why this is happening, but glad you pointed it out.

I will now log this issue as a bug so hopefully someone can take a look soon and see what the deal is. Given the behavior of the .aif file in the player, it seems like it should definitely be flagged as corrupt.

BTW, have you seen any other files in your collection that do this? Where did these files come from?

Thanks again!
Res-Q 12:38 AM - 3 June, 2013
No I havent this in any of my files before.
The wav came from a friend who ripped it, and the aif comes from me after rendering the wav into aiff in a daw.
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:36 AM - 4 June, 2013
Ok thanks dude :)

I will close this thread now as a "bug logged" state, but post back up if you come across any other files with the same issue. Would be good to maybe have two or three, just for testing, but no need to go out of your way.

Cheers!