Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Using Mixed in Key with Serato Software

8:15 PM, 12 May 2013
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
Trinicapone 1:18 AM - 13 May, 2013
I use this all the time but thanks for the 11a & b tip!
Mankey Mickey 10:57 AM - 13 May, 2013
Does the "Update Custom "initial key" Tag" option work with .wav files?
DG FEKT 11:30 PM - 13 May, 2013
Quote:
Does the "Update Custom "initial key" Tag" option work with .wav files?

Yes it does, ive been using "MIK" for a while now and my sets have really made some heads turn. I think wav. Analyze faster than mp3... not too sure though due to most of my wav. Files are just melodie lines, sound fx or drumloops. But yes it does analyze and read wav. Files.
DG FEKT 11:39 PM - 13 May, 2013
This is also another great tool for using with your Instrumental or vocal only tracks. The vocals only tracks were a little tricky to begin with due to analyzing without a beat but you can always grab the bpm from the original track edit. This is one of the best tools I have ever used to date to help better my sets and knowledge of the key/note system.
Mallo 3:04 AM - 15 May, 2013
Not with any genre this work. I feel at the end of the day the BPM tells more, that the keys your playing in.
christoff 7:58 PM - 15 May, 2013
everytime i re log into serato dj i have to rescan my music becasue the key tags are empty,, any ideas
Rob-One 2:34 AM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
everytime i re log into serato dj i have to rescan my music becasue the key tags are empty,, any ideas

christoff, check this for Scratch Live serato.com

If you use other Serato sw, just do a search here on serato.com for "V2 database"
christoff 8:49 AM - 3 June, 2013
Ok it's serato DJ with a DDJ-SX

Thanks
christoff 8:59 AM - 3 June, 2013
Thank you for that. That was helpful I do how ever use my iTunes to make playlist not crates Will that way still work?
Dj CalyCaly 3:32 AM - 4 June, 2013
Does it work for videos too???
christoff 9:08 AM - 4 June, 2013
Rob-one, I did what was said in the tutorial. All my playlist are set up on I tunes, I don't make creates. When I looked for the V2 file I deleted both from my computer and off my hard drive I'm now rescanning 12,000 songs.
Rob-One 11:29 PM - 22 July, 2013
christoff: sorry I missed your last message here. Are you up and running again? (It's been about six weeks so I really hope so.)

Dj CalyCaly: I would think so, but I honestly do not know.
I think a forum moderator ought to weigh in on your question.
kreature 7:25 PM - 24 July, 2013
I use my ears. But thanks.
christoff 5:04 AM - 21 August, 2013
Hi rob-one yes I'm up and running :-) there was 2 x v2 date bases I deleted one and everything worked a treat. Loving the new effect as well
Nathan Cremona 12:22 PM - 17 October, 2013
For the 1A and 1B trick, why not just use "key is 1A" and make sure the "Match all of the following rules" box is checked.

Works a charm and takes less time to set up :)
PMYSKO 7:13 PM - 14 April, 2014
I was hesitant at first now I'm hooked.
tobias.jungnickel 8:18 AM - 8 May, 2014
Is there anybody who already created smart crates for every key to import?
clichequiche 11:22 PM - 11 September, 2014
I'm still hesitant, mostly because there's no "OR" option in Smart Crate rules. Why set up a crate just for tracks in the key of 1 when they can be mixed with 2's and 12's as well? If you just sort your library by key, it groups them all together, no?
tomnixon 12:38 PM - 13 September, 2014
I have a crate with a bunch of tracks in. I've analysed the MP3s with MIK and then run the rescan id3 tags process. The key isn't appearing in the track listings.

However, If I add the track again to the crate from the file browser, the key is present so I know the key is correctly in the MP3 file, it's just not being picked up by Serato. Any ideas? Thanks for reading.
tomnixon 12:52 PM - 13 September, 2014
Answering my own question here :)
Problem was that the tracks in the crate were actually copies of the unanalysed tracks made when they were imported into iTunes. So to fix this you can either analyse your whole iTunes music folder, or change the iTunes settings so it doesn't make copies of files when you import them. More info here: community.mixedinkey.com
Eugene.DJG 1:41 PM - 3 January, 2015
if i had bought the mixed in key software with the serial key numbers, but is a windows version.
can i used back the same serial numbers on macbook pro? or i need to purchase again for my macbook?
pls help.. thanks
regards,
Eugene DJ.G
tomnixon 2:11 PM - 3 January, 2015
I'd suggest posting this on the MIK community and you should get an answer.
DJ 3men2 Tampa 4:12 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
if i had bought the mixed in key software with the serial key numbers, but is a windows version.
can i used back the same serial numbers on macbook pro? or i need to purchase again for my macbook?
pls help.. thanks
regards,
Eugene DJ.G

you can sent the email to contact@mixedinkey.com explain the problem and they sent you a new serial # for mac but that cancel the another number...at no cost.
DJ Kolumbo 12:58 AM - 10 January, 2015
I have analyzed my files on Mixed In Key and ID scanned them on Serato DJ, but still do not see the Keys in my comments field. Any one have an idea what I missing? I am using a Mac.
PMYSKO 3:30 PM - 10 January, 2015
Quote:
I have analyzed my files on Mixed In Key and ID scanned them on Serato DJ, but still do not see the Keys in my comments field. Any one have an idea what I missing? I am using a Mac.

1. Launch Serato DJ.
2. In the top RIGHT corner of your Serato Library you have a little grey box with a triangle in it.
-- Click this box and a drop down menu will appear.
-- Select KEY from the list of options.
-- The KEY column will show up as a column in your Library window.
-- Now click the FILES button located just above your library window.
-- The FILES panel will open up, at the bottom of the files panel you will see "RESCAN ID3 TAGS" Click this. Serato DJ will scan your libraries ID3 tags
Cy Prian 8:33 PM - 12 January, 2015
Appreciated the lowdown club based mixing apps. Just thought it may be useful to also cover mixing software for audio mastering mixing jobs (such as the work done by redmastering.co.uk) as well.
Eugene.DJG 11:21 AM - 23 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
pls help.. thanks
regards,
Eugene DJ.G

you can sent the email to contact@mixedinkey.com explain the problem and they sent you a new serial # for mac but that cancel the another number...at no cost.

thanks & appreciated of you all support and guidance. :)
edilhernandez 1:28 PM - 27 June, 2015
Amazing post. I am having a problem with some tracks being 98 BPM after they are analyzed by Serato. I was told that having mixed in key analyze the files might fix the BPM, but it didn't :( Any thoughts on how to overcome Serato wrongfully analyzing the BPM? Thank you.
Ls4life 1:11 PM - 2 September, 2015
Can or will Serato key column show the key notation in the same format as on mixed In key camelot, i.e 1A or 7B? I do not see that happening. is there a way that the deck info can show the information on the "Comment" tag. since I do not see that the Serato Key tag show the key notation as in Mixed In Key, I would like to see the comment field show as part of the Deck Info. Anyone have a clue on this.
Phaedrus 11:33 AM - 14 September, 2015
Hello everyone, not sure if some explained this before but i ll ask anyhow. I created smart crates according to the key as in 1A, 3B exc but now when i download new tracks and do mix, analyse by serato, how do i get the right keys to the right crate? To cut it short, how do i update for example 1A crate with the new tracks in as well ? Whats the easiest way? Thanks
dj silver26 12:39 AM - 6 October, 2015
I was wondering if serato will give this mix in key software for free to serato dj users. This would be a great feature for future improvement of serato dj and it users
dunx 5:52 PM - 13 October, 2015
@ Phaedrus The Smart Crates should auto-update themselves, providing the 'Live Update' checkbox is ticked (this is at the bottom left of the Edit Rules box where you add the Rules), just add the new tracks to the main Serato library and they will appear in the correct Smart Crate too.
dunx 5:55 PM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
I was wondering if serato will give this mix in key software for free to serato dj users. This would be a great feature for future improvement of serato dj and it users

Serato seem to give all kinds of key manipulation a wide berth. The only feature I've seen supported is a key-lock of sorts (Master Tempo) which has zero info about what key the tune is actually in.

Presumably they'll release Plugins for a considerable price that provide these capabilities.
dj silver26 8:39 PM - 13 October, 2015
Thanks for looking at this but I have just discovered in 1.8 trials it automatically finds the key of the song when that track or folder analysis it cheers for this serato tech love it
warchild 4:46 PM - 22 December, 2015
When I create smart crate I must use not cammelot key but classical key. Is it correctly?
I use serato 1.8.1
Lombana 6:22 PM - 13 January, 2016
^^ @warchild Seeing the same issue here, verion 1.8.1 (1818994) and when attempting to load a SmartCrate for say [Camelot] 12A + 1A + 2A nothing gets populated, as soon as I setup the SmartCrate with all keys related to A Flat Minor or Abm 1A + Ebm 2A + Dbm 12A it will populate.

Wondering if this is intentional or a fix to use the Camelot tag should be in the works.
Lombana 5:33 AM - 15 January, 2016
Seeing another issue with this idea, can't create a smart crate based on an iTunes playlist, since most of my music is organized via iTunes that won't fly so extra sorting once in the smart crate such as a search for all albums name "club" is necessary. The rules can't be setup to create the crate based on the folders you created in iTunes :(
kratediggah 6:09 PM - 15 April, 2016
Quote:
^^ @warchild Seeing the same issue here, verion 1.8.1 (1818994) and when attempting to load a SmartCrate for say [Camelot] 12A + 1A + 2A nothing gets populated, as soon as I setup the SmartCrate with all keys related to A Flat Minor or Abm 1A + Ebm 2A + Dbm 12A it will populate.

Wondering if this is intentional or a fix to use the Camelot tag should be in the works.

I can acknowledge this issue, the matching for "key is 2A" wouldn't work but works for "key is eBm".

Is this a bug @serato?
ObliOne 10:58 AM - 22 January, 2017
HI guys, I know this is an old thread but wanted to post a quick way of organising your tracks by keys to make it easier to find rather than using "smart crates"

Now, this depends on how you organise your music really and how large your collection is but I always organise my normal crates by genre and sub-genre / style (i.e elctro house / vocal electro house / hard electro house etc).

Once you've done this and have used mixed in key to tag the camelot keys into the "key" column in serato you can simply click the column header in serato and it will organise them quickly for you so you have all the 1A's then 1B's then 2A's then 2B's and so on so its a pretty quick way to find the right key and just progress through your collection harmonically.

But like I said it depends on how you organise your collection
DJ Tobander 4:21 PM - 15 June, 2017
Here's a list of the ten most common harmonic transitions using Mixed in Key:

1. HARMONIC MIX (SAME KEY)
Example: 12A -> 12A

2. ONE PITCHUP/DOWN (KEYS SIDE BY SIDE)
Example: 12A -> 1A

3. MAJOR AND MINOR SWITCH
Example: 12A -> 12B

4. ENERGY BOOST (ADD 7)
Example: 12A -> 7A

5. DOUBLE ENERGY BOOST (ADD 2)