DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

jumping around/clapping hands/taking photos/adding fb ppl/talking bullshiton mic

BIGG BEAR 2:52 AM - 24 April, 2013
I'm sick of it! play the fucking music and put it together properly,then when you can do that charge as much as you can for your services.
Cause most of these venues don't give a fuck about you in the long run.
What do you think?
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:55 AM - 24 April, 2013
Depends on what type of gig you are playing.....

Honestly, here in the Caribbean you have generally two types of Gigs.... I like to categorize them as

1) Dance

2) Jam

Similar to North East Coast USA (NYC,NJ,Philly)

In a Dance you are letting the songs play out, mixing, making little comments here and there on the mic but mainly letting people do their own thing, dance the night away. Lounging and relaxing.

Now in a JAM however, YOU the DJ, you are the MAIN attraction. You are the star and you MUST bring the energy. Songs are mixed very fast, there is alot of micing and you are actively engaging the crowd. The crowd feeds off your energy not the other way around. You average song is mixed out and in after about 20 to 30 seconds, maybe a minute if you have a long story that goes with the song.

So there you have it. You can bring that "Dance" mentality to a "Jam" and you will be an Early Warm DJ..... Get people comfortable and get them buying drinks, but you will not be playing after 1:00am when we start taking the energy levels up.

And Vise Versa, You can't bring the "Jam" mentality to a "Dance" and expect not to get booed out.

Need to be adaptable.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:58 AM - 24 April, 2013
There are actually alot more... You have Bands that play with DJs in between. You have DJs that open up for artists.... but those two I mentioned above are easiest to explain...
DJ Sergio B 8:20 AM - 24 April, 2013
Plus - traditionally - a DJ usually came with an MC as a package. The MC would be the kat keeping the crowd involved - and at points keep them involved with what the DJ was doing when putting together music. The current high level pair is Jazzy Jeff and Skillz.

What you're complaining about become an advantage to a DJ who can also do the mic work - knowing when to talk to your crowd - rocking with them while listening and preparing the next transition - clapping when a crowd pops off - and generally showing a crowd you're behind the music and love the music you play. Makes your show personal.

It is a much better option than being DJ Stoic ... DJ "I'm not going to acknowledge the crowd I'm playing for".
SeriousCyrus 8:37 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
It is a much better option than being DJ Stoic ... DJ "I'm not going to acknowledge the crowd I'm playing for".

I get it, but also, I'm with the OP, I can't stand clubs where the music stops all the time or ducks out so some egoist can tell me to have a good time.

On the whole, it's not a problem, some clubs do it one way, some another, I just don't go to the places that do.
DJ Sergio B 9:12 AM - 24 April, 2013
Yeah that would def. be someone doing it wrong. I'm not speaking on those who do it in excess - anything in excessive dosage is bad - the music comes first - everything thing else is like seasoning.

- Loop Rolls
- Cutting over every track
- Filters
- Sample Drops
- EFFECTS (including echo out abuse)

all those things are right up the same alley - but together - and where it enhances the music / show - they are powerful tools.

Hell, even water can kill you in excess.
pdidy 9:54 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:

Honestly, here in the Caribbean you have generally two types of Gigs.... I like to categorize them as

1) Dance

2) Jam

In a Dance you are letting the songs play out, mixing, making little comments here and there on the mic but mainly letting people do their own thing, dance the night away. Lounging and relaxing.

Now in a JAM however, YOU the DJ, you are the MAIN attraction. You are the star and you MUST bring the energy. Songs are mixed very fast, there is alot of micing and you are actively engaging the crowd. The crowd feeds off your energy not the other way around. You average song is mixed out and in after about 20 to 30 seconds, maybe a minute if you have a long story that goes with the song.

So there you have it. You can bring that "Dance" mentality to a "Jam" and you will be an Early Warm DJ..... Get people comfortable and get them buying drinks, but you will not be playing after 1:00am when we start taking the energy levels up.

And Vise Versa, You can't bring the "Jam" mentality to a "Dance" and expect not to get booed out.

Need to be adaptable.

true story......

I prefer jams myself but dances are cool.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 11:03 AM - 24 April, 2013
It really depends on how I feel.

Some days, I prefer to play at a Dance. It gives me more creativity in my mixing and IMO it takes more technical skill then crowd engagement skill.

Playing at a Jam, you are not trying to pull off the best mixes but the challenge is keeping the crowd engaged and the energy level at an all the time high.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 11:04 AM - 24 April, 2013
I usually keep a balance. Some days I prefer a Dance, some days I prefer to play to a Jam.
pdidy 4:29 PM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
I'm sick of it! play the fucking music and put it together properly,then when you can do that charge as much as you can for your services.
What do you think?

I think you should stop caring about what other people are doing and use that energy to focus on you......
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:16 PM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
What do you think?

I think you should stop caring about what other people are doing and use that energy to focus on you......

Gotta agree with tha pete on this one, when it boils down, in the end your an entertainer....ENTERTAIN!
DeeJay*CASPER 6:01 PM - 25 April, 2013
Quote:

1) Dance

2) Jam

Need to be adaptable.

thats a great way of putting it…..

in DC its called 'Cabaret' and 'Downtown' styles
Dj Rehab 6:18 PM - 25 April, 2013
There's a time and place for all of it