Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Feature Request: Watch Folders / Automatic Crate Updates

Ta-Bar-Nick 3:15 PM - 20 April, 2013
Dear Sir or Madame,

I would like to request a feature that I others may have requested in the past.

The feature would be called watch folders. One would create a special crate using the feature and link it to a folder in the file system of the computer. The crate would populate with the initial link. When new music is placed into the filesystem folder the crate would automatically see the change and update the crate.

Every time I get new tracks I file them in a GENRE folder in my hard disk. I then have to update the crates in ITCH with the newly added tracks. This is getting to be annoying and wastes my time.

Nick
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:28 PM - 25 April, 2013
Hi Ta-Bar-Nick,

Great suggestion! I think you are one of many that would like to see this. I'm going to put it in the feature request area to get it the attention it deserves.

Matt p
10:28 PM, 25 Apr 2013
Discussion moved to Serato DJ Feature Suggestions
djant0001 6:24 PM - 29 April, 2013
I agree, this request should be considered and implemented ASAP. It is not acceptable to have to manually remember to update crates every so often so you don't miss some of the newer tracks.
Ta-Bar-Nick 3:17 AM - 20 November, 2013
Hi Matt P,

Has there been any progress regarding this new feature request?

Nick
Ta-Bar-Nick 1:04 PM - 21 July, 2014
HELLO!?

Has there been any progress on this feature request?

Nick
musiclee 1:42 PM - 21 July, 2014
you mean you want dynamic crates?

ye, simple feature that should have been there long ago.
a feature which other DJ programs already have :-)

it's time consuming and tough to drop files into my folders, and then try to figure out which 20 of those 2,000 files in that crate are the new ones
Ta-Bar-Nick 1:55 PM - 21 July, 2014
ya sure... Dynamic Crates.

What ever you want to call it.

Well the "new files in crate" has a solution. You can enable a column in your crate that shows the date it was added to the library. Then you sort by addition date.

I really want the automatic addition feature.

Nick Szabo
Rickjaay 2:13 PM - 21 July, 2014
+1
musiclee 2:20 PM - 21 July, 2014
best to add that feature and keep it as an option in settings for those who want it to stay as is :-)

i want dynamic updating, but of course others may not..
Ta-Bar-Nick 2:25 PM - 21 July, 2014
I would make it as a 3rd type of crate.

Currently there are 2:
Regular
Smart

There should be a 3rd for this option.

In its simplest form 1 dynamic crate would map to one folder in the file system.
It would be better if 1 dynamic crate would map to multiple folders in the file system.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:54 PM - 21 July, 2014
Hi all,

this sort of exists already, in a simpler form.

There is a folder called Auto Import in your home/_Serato_/ folder.

Cheers
Karl
Ta-Bar-Nick 1:30 PM - 28 July, 2014
Hi Karl,

I used the auto import feature you mention. Unfortunately the folder only exists in the "My music" folder drive of my PC/windows computer. I use an external hard drive with my music collection and its own serato library. This drive is taken on the road and put on my MAC. I guess I could re-map the "my music" folder to the external hard drive. I believe that windows will freak out when the "my music" folder is not present when the drive is disconnected. Windows will then re-create a new one in the default C:/ location and I will then need to and manually change it back to the external drive.

Your system would require all my music to be inside the _serato_ folder which is not very neat.

Finally, The feature does not import a folder when the name already exists in the imported folder. So, if I have a folder called "house music" which I imported last week and try to auto import another folder with the same name it will not do it. This is not very useful to me.

Nick Szabo
Ta-Bar-Nick 1:32 PM - 28 July, 2014
Any chance this feature will make it into the next SERATO?

I raised this issue over a year ago and there are others that want the feature too.

Nick
Ta-Bar-Nick 1:24 AM - 1 September, 2014
HELLO!?

Has there been any movement on this feature request?

MATT P , Karl Y

Nick
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:58 AM - 2 September, 2014
Hi Nick,

no announcments to make at this stage, sorry.

Another workaround I can propose is to use iTunes, which can auto-add music I believe, and Serato DJ can in its turn read the iTunes library
support.apple.com

Cheers
Karl
Ta-Bar-Nick 12:37 PM - 11 June, 2015
Hello Developers.

MATT P , Karl Y

Nick
deejdave 1:07 PM - 11 June, 2015
Auto Import.............

serato.com
Denne 6:19 PM - 11 June, 2015
Quote:
Auto Import.............

serato.com

imho pretty much useless. I want to select specific folders because my music on my pc is organized in a specific way.
deejdave 1:25 AM - 12 June, 2015
I hear ya but in the meantime.............. it's a start and I only posted in hopes it could help anyone while they wait for this feature.
DJRendyLV 2:12 PM - 12 June, 2015
I am also interested to use this feature in Serato DJ....
Ta-Bar-Nick 7:20 PM - 23 July, 2016
BUMP!

Hey developers!

Nick
DJ Ravien 8:53 AM - 25 July, 2016
I really don't understand why they cant allow users to simply select which folder they want to use for auto-import at the very least instead of it being hard coded. I really do not want to add extra levels of folders to access my music. I have to admit I have slowly become more skeptical of seratos coding abilities.