DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 Linear Crossfader Setting?

Andrei Matei 7:47 AM - 30 March, 2013
Hey Guys,

On the old Rane 56 and 56s models, the crossfader had a full-linear option when setting the curve full-slow. On the 62, even full slow causes a track to cut in too quickly when doing slow, smooth mixes. It is not linear. I've already played with the countour controls of the crossfader of course. Does anyone at Rane, or on these forums know what changed and if there is a way to adjust this further?

Thanks in advance.

Andrei
Joshua Carl 1:43 AM - 1 April, 2013
thats pretty much the way it is. (the knobs on the front of the mixer)

alot of guys i know have leaned to using a subtle combo of the EQ, Gain and Filter to gain
more precise control of the levels while blending.
Andrei Matei 12:14 AM - 2 April, 2013
Thanks Joshua. You are spot on. I had a chance to talk to Raphael at Rane today and he confirmed the curve is indeed a bit different on the 61/62 than it was on the older 56/56s. He mentioned they are requesting a firmware update from the engineers on it but it may be a few months out if they can tweak it.

I bet the engineers designed it like this to remove the crossfader "dip" in the middle that others complained about on the older models. But, for those of you who mix "weirdly" (like me) and transition with the crossfader at times, its a big bummer.

Since there is no exact ETA yet, I guess I'm returning the new 62 until the firmware hits. Bummer because everything else is so perfect on the unit and the workflow is so nice. I suppose this is just a bigger deal to me and my style then it is to most others.
Andrei Matei 3:54 PM - 2 April, 2013
Joshua or Rane crew: Would you guys happen to know what the 68 crossfader is like? Closer to the 62 or to the older 56s with the full linear on slow? Thanks in advance.
wadup 5:06 PM - 2 April, 2013
have you thought about installing a innofader?
Andrei Matei 6:27 PM - 2 April, 2013
Wadup: that's a really interesting idea which I hadn't thought about yet until you brought it up. Thank you. Any idea if this would solve the issue? The issue is firmware-related (verified by swapping a line fader with a cross fader) and also spoke again to Chad at Rane about this. It's something that's a priority for them to fix in an upcoming firmware release.

It looks like the Innofader site is down: cl.ly so I tweeted them to see how to best get ahold of them to talk.

Has anyone here put an innofader in their 62 or 61? I wouldn't normally consider doing this since I love Rane faders, but would be more than happy to in this case, if it solves the issue and makes it more 56/57-like.
wadup 2:14 AM - 3 April, 2013
the innofader is great...same quality if not better than than the rane faders.you can adjust the cut in as well as the curve to your liking...highly recommended
Andrei Matei 2:55 PM - 3 April, 2013
Wadup, thank you! I did read through all of this: www.audioinnovate.com (now that the site is working again) and I wrote a note to Elliot to ask about how the Innofader Pro works with the mixer firmware (since this seems to be a software issue).

Do you have the Innofader in your 62? Did you do it for sharper cuts or smoother mixing? If so, were you able to have a full-linear crossfader setting on full-slow? Did it line up and mount perfectly with the only mods being re-wiring your connectors?
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:46 PM - 3 April, 2013
All the magnetic faders on all Rane mixers have identical curves and, yes, its linear when the curve is set to slow.
I verified this by talking to the engineer who designed all of these mixers.
Quote:
The issue is firmware-related (verified by swapping a line fader with a cross fader) and also spoke again to Chad at Rane about this.

What happened when you swapped a line fader with the X fader?
If all faders are acting the same than you have an issue with the contour adjustment on your mixer. Unfortunately you would need to send your unit in for service if that is the case.
Andrei Matei 2:31 AM - 4 April, 2013
Hey Zach, how are you, man? Thanks for spotting this thread. I appreciate it! The faders themselves are indeed all identical, just as you mention. When I swapped a line fader with the crossfader, nothing changed. The new line fader (old crossfader) was indeed now linear and the "new" crossfader was still quite sharper on slowest setting than older Rane mixers.

I don't believe I have an issue with the 62 itself since I rented a 61 from my local rental place to test and it also behaved identically. I confirmed and tested things side-by-side with my 56s and a friend's older 56. Both of these models had the expected slower/smooth linear crossfader I've been used to. I can attempt to make a video if helpful.

A couple of the guys on your team noted that they have observed this behavior and its something that is potentially being addressed in an upcoming firmware update. I love the mixer so much - its perfect for me - but I just wish the crossfader behaved as older models, so I *may* attempt the innofader mod. It just seems such a shame since the stock Rane faders are so nice.

I spoke with Elliot at Innofader and it sounds like this will be the workaround for me (at least in the short term) but I'm a bit sad to have to rewire my shiny new mixer. :/
Andrei Matei 4:34 PM - 4 May, 2013
Just wanted to give everyone an update on this since too many people never come back to posts to let others know what they decided on. I ended up getting wet feet and not doing the Innofader mode. I just wasn't certain it would fix it since this is a firmware, not hardware issue. Had I tested it, and it not worked, I wouldn't have been able to return the Innofader.

I did get a chance to test a 68 as well and it too had the same behavior in the latest firmware as the 61/62. It seems that the crossfader curve settings are identical across all of Rane's digital mixers. I hope it can be modified soon to have a slower slow setting, like the Rane analog mixers, Pioneer Mixers, Allen and Heath mixers, etc.

I'll keep you guys updated as I find out more and hope Zach and team can update us as news about the updated firmware becomes available. Also, I'd love to help beta test, if additional testers are needed. :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:28 PM - 6 May, 2013
I'm beginning to think the difference you are seeing between the new and old faders is simply because the new faders are all 45mm and the older ones (depending on the model number) are 60mm.
60mm is obviously going to give you a longer throw.
The slow fade on our 45mm magnetic faders is as slow as it can get and is linear. There will not be any firmware coming out to "fix" it as its not broken.
Andrei Matei 7:25 PM - 6 May, 2013
Zach,

I understand its not "broken" from your perspective. I respect that. But when two other folks on your team confirm they have seen the issue and a fix is being discussed/prioritized/worked-on, that confuses me.

At this point, I don't care to argue or record videos to demonstrate anything further. I'll just keep my 56 and be happy. I was just trying to be helpful.

Andrei
Andrei Matei 7:29 PM - 6 May, 2013
PS. When you have the same volume in the middle of crossfader as on one end, it is NOT linear. The old "dip" in the middle, when on slow, is linear, as I understand it. All mixers have that on the slowest setting and you can adjust up from there.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:57 PM - 6 May, 2013
We definitely appreciate the feedback:) The fader on the 56 is the exact same fader that is on the 56, 57, Sixty-One, Sixty-Two, and Sixty-Eight (aside from a difference in the carrier on the new mixers but which wouldn't effect the curve at all).
This fader is linear and will apply a smooth fade (regardless of the mixer you are using).
If your mixer is not doing this than there is something wrong with your unit.

Let me know if you'd like send your unit in and we'll go from there.
Andrei Matei 2:54 PM - 8 May, 2013
Thanks Zach. Since I've observed the same behavior on all of the new Rane Digital mixers (I still need to test the older 57 too), I don't wish to send my 62 in. I believe it to be to spec, despite the differences I'm seeing. I'll sit tight on it and use the 56s for now w/ my X1. If time allows in the future, I'll record a demonstration and forward it along.
Andrei Matei 11:05 AM - 23 December, 2013
Hey Everyone,

Anyone happen to know if the latest 62 firmware has adjusted anything with the CF curve? I don't have my 62 any longer but will buy a new one if changes have been made!

Thanks in advance!
Andrei Matei 11:17 AM - 23 December, 2013
Never mind. Was answered in another thread. No changes at this time, even with Serato DJ 1.6. I'll keep waiting/hoping. :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:54 PM - 8 January, 2014
I still don't believe there is any general issue. This sounds like an issue with your particular unit. The curve is identical as the 56. Its the same exact fader.
Andrei Matei 4:07 PM - 6 November, 2014
As I mentioned in another thread, over the past year, I've naturally just converted to using up faders for blending so its no longer an issue. I've re-purchased a new 62, and am quite happy with it.