Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Song Playing Backwards and Distorted

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Dj Nyze 5:32 AM - 13 August, 2008
Hello guys well ive been using serato for many years now love it ! thx for this great program. Ive encountered a weird problem that i never came across ive replaced the rca's on my turntable Technic sl1200. the problem is when i connect my SSL Box all my wires are connected corectly i get a distorted sound and my song keeps going backwards! now i did try switching around the rca's still nothing i thought it would of been my needle so i put another still nothing changed record and still no succes but when i play normal records and plays lound and clear any suggestion please im out of ideas!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:12 PM - 13 August, 2008
what do your scope views look like?

usually when your track is spinning backwards, the RCA cables are switched up. I would start on the table you just had the RCA cables fixed on. If white is into white and red is into red, try reversing that, white into red ect.

What does the tracking bar above the ABS / REL / INT show? All grey, any red?
Dj Nyze 7:52 PM - 13 August, 2008
half red ! no gray ..the scop shows a green line .. and i did try reversing the rca's..?
Dj Nyze 7:59 PM - 13 August, 2008
what i dont understand is when i play normal records it works fine and signal is good on right and left channel
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:46 PM - 13 August, 2008
a line in the scope view indicates one side is missing or weaker than the other. Possible causes can include, dirty record, dust on needles, worn needles, bad connection to tone-arm, bad tone arm, bad cables, bad inputs / outputs ect.

in the set-up / hardware tab, do you have phono selected as your "audio input level"?
DJ MykChek 6:59 AM - 14 August, 2008
DN Nyze,

I had this problem too. And it started happening just when I was about to start my set at the club. i did the "switch" rca's thing and it didn't work.

I switched the needles and that appeared to fix it. Try switching your needles (put the left needle on the right tt and the right needle on the left tt) If it happens again with the other tt, then it's your needle.

I think my 44-7 went bad, bought a new one, and it's been ok.
Dj Nyze 12:36 AM - 15 August, 2008
thx guys it was just a bad sodering inside the turntable with the rca's they were kind of touching eachother so it created a mono output!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:42 PM - 15 August, 2008
good find. The importance of checking your scope views is highlighted by this example. Glad to hear it's looking good.