Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Drop outs and crashes

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJLacosteNYC 8:20 PM - 13 February, 2013
I've been using Serato Itch for 6+ months. I get a lot of sound drop outs and sometimes it just crashes and I have to restart Serato losing my recordings and play history :(

It happened with Allen & Heath DX controller so I bought Twitch and I still get the same problems. I have no problems with Traktor or DJay by Algoriddim. What's the problem???

I'm a pro DJ and need a reliable software. This should be more stable. What can I do???

Thanks for your help.
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:52 PM - 17 February, 2013
Hi DJLacosteNYC,

I'm sorry to hear of this. I have a few questions...
When you are playing are you hitting the limiter often? its the little light in the top right hand side of the screen. If its going red often you will have to lower your output level and adjust your trims. This is known to cause dropouts.

There are a few other things you can try here - serato.com

Let me know how you get along with that.

Matt P
DJLacosteNYC 5:42 PM - 19 February, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I occasionally do hit the limiter but i try to avoid hitting the red.
However, this doesn't seem to make any sense. Besides being a professional DJ I'm also a recording engineer. If Serato's limiter is causing drop-outs, that's a serious and poorly designed software defect. I use programs like Ableton with dozens of complex processing all running in real-time and many multiple tracks and only when I'm pushing my processor to the very limit do I get audio glitches. With simply only 2 tracks of audio running on a single bus limiter, I can't imagine why hitting the limiter would cause out-right audio drop-outs.
I could understand if there were distortion as that can happen if you drive any limiter too hard, but drop-outs??? should never happen. I already saw the link you posted for other ideas, tired that already, to no avail, and if I can't fix this I'm gonna have to ditch Serata for good. Also it's like a pause in the audio stream not really a glitch. It's as if someone pushed pause for a second. Again, major major software flaw.
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:40 PM - 19 February, 2013
DJLacosteNYC,

Ok, so we've established that your not pushing the limiter. What is your buffer setting at?
We are also in the process of bring the Twitch into Serato DJ, our new improved software platform. Which will be available as a free upgrade soon

Matt P
dylanrussell 9:42 PM - 20 February, 2013
Matt P,

Just curious, when do you think that will be?
DJLacosteNYC 9:53 PM - 20 February, 2013
Buffer settings are set to default 512. What should I try setting it to?
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:05 PM - 24 February, 2013
Hi DJLacosteNYC.

You can try adjusting it to 256 and see if that helps much, I was also wondering, are you using a usb hub at all?
I'm unsure of why you are experiencing these dropouts so regularly.. i assume you've analysed all your files and removed the corrupt ones right?

Matt P
11:00 PM, 10 Mar 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
DJLacosteNYC 1:31 AM - 19 October, 2013
Removed corrupt files, also rescanned and updated library.
Still having the same problem. It hiccups about once per gig.
My buddy also started using itch on macbookpro with the exact same problems.
This is pretty crappy.
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:07 PM - 28 October, 2013
Hi DJLacosteNYC,

We have updated to Serato DJ with the Twitch now, have you had a chance to try it out?

Get it here - serato.com

Matt P
8:05 AM, 12 Nov 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.