DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Cue Point Lights not lighting up

YZ 7:30 PM - 2 February, 2013
I've noticed on 3-5 occasions (about an hour into set) where my cue lights stopped working on either channel. The lights are dimmed even though there are cue points set. I think this is a software bug or something. The cue points still work it just doesn't reflect on the mixer that a cue point exists.

Anyone else seeing this?
Frankie Glasses 8:01 PM - 6 February, 2013
Sure your not in SP-6 mode?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:05 PM - 7 February, 2013
Hey YZ,

What mixer are you referring to?
Anatoly Ice 6:17 AM - 8 February, 2013
Had same problem on 62. When Sound loaded into deck, and I accidentally switch to phono mode, and then back to USB A (or B), cue lights stopped working. It's not contsnt issue, but from time to time it's happening
YZ 7:27 PM - 8 February, 2013
Hey Zach, I'm referring to the 62 and I'm sure I'm not in SP-6 mode. There is definitely some sort of bug. Just need to figure out what triggers them to stop working, maybe something Ice just said.
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:43 PM - 13 February, 2013
Quote:
Hey Zach, I'm referring to the 62 and I'm sure I'm not in SP-6 mode.

Its not that you would be in SP-6 mode its that you would press the samples/cue button and then press one of the 2-5 cues which would jump you into a different layer.
When this happens again get our your camera phone and shoot some video.
My guess is all you have to do to fix it is to get back to group 1 by holding down the Samples/Cues button and pressing Cue 1.
YZ 9:05 PM - 13 February, 2013
If that was the case AND if I was in a different group, then why would the cue points still work?
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:04 PM - 13 February, 2013
Hm.. yes.. sorry.. good point. What firmware version is installed on the mixer and what version of SSL are you using?
YZ 7:24 PM - 14 February, 2013
sorry, don't have the firmware in front of me but I know it's up-to-date with the latest (as I'm always keeping it up to date). I check every week before I gig. Running Mountain Lion OSX i5 with 8GB ram
YZ 6:12 PM - 18 February, 2013
Happened again Zach, any help is appreciated. It happens randomly as far as I can tell, whether there is a combination of things before it happens (that I'm doing) is beyond me.

The only consistency I'm seeing (it seems like) is that it's happening on the left deck. I checked current software/firmware and it says I'm running the latest.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:01 PM - 21 February, 2013
What do you have to do to get the cues to work again?
Can you take a video the next time it happens and send it to me?
I'd like to show it to the engineers.
If so, please take footage of the Setup screen showing the version of the program as well as all the various tabs.
Also, please verify the firmware version installed on the mixer by looking in the Hardware tab of Setup.
You can email me the video at zachs@rane.com.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:49 PM - 22 February, 2013
Quote:
If that was the case AND if I was in a different group, then why would the cue points still work?

If you are in a different group (2-5) your cues will still work but they will not be lit up.
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:00 PM - 26 February, 2013
Yes.. Chad is actually correct here.
If you switch to a different group the controls within that group will retain the same function as group 1 until they are reassigned.
YZ 3:00 AM - 5 March, 2013
I will check to see if that's what happened. I'm surprised (if this is the case) that nobody else has had the same issue. It seems to easy to change on accident.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:42 PM - 5 March, 2013
People definitely have had this issue which is why I assumed you were as well.
Just forgot about the cues still working when in a different group.
The original functions should still work until they get reassigned.
The lights should also light up but Serato needs to fix something on their end in order for that to happen.
DJ Louis V 11:33 AM - 10 April, 2013
Hello Zack I am having the exact same problem as YZ is mentioning. My cues and sp-6 will go out randomly during a gig. The buttons will resemble as if there is not anything linked to them. It mainly happens on the left side and then none of my drops or cues will work. The only way I found to fix it is to cut the mixer off and turn it back on but that's not a possibility during a gig. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:49 PM - 10 April, 2013
My suggestions above fixed YZ's issue... are you sure you aren't dealing with the same thing?
DJ Louis V 11:30 PM - 10 April, 2013
Ok cool ill try that and see if it fixes my problem. Just to clarify its a problem with serato that messes up when you switch to different panels for to SP-6
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:35 PM - 11 April, 2013
It isn't a problem at all. Its how the mixer was designed.
If you hold down the Cues/Samples button and press on 2-5 cues for either side it will put you in a different MIDI layer.
BrianThomas 6:21 AM - 14 April, 2013
I am having the same exact problem. I've used the mixer twice (Friday & Saturday) about 2 hours in on Friday night I lost the lights and the samples and cues on the left side. Tonight I lost them after an hour. I haven't been able to try and shut off the mixer and turn back on. Everything still works but the lights do not light. I also noticed I've lost the lights showing I am in loop or loop roll but both these buttons still perform the correct functions.
Niro 9:19 PM - 14 April, 2013
Sounds like you're in a different layer. You need to be back in layer 1
BrianThomas 9:21 PM - 14 April, 2013
I'm going to try and change layers. Hope it works. Sorry, I sent my original post from the club i was working at. Now that I've read all of the above I will try the layer change.
YZ 6:13 PM - 9 September, 2013
Just to close the loop on this guys. It's actually not a "hardware or software" thing. It's more of a "design error" in my eyes. The way I use the mixer (and others obviously) is that it's way too easy to accidentally switch groups. I'm guessing they can fix this by simply requiring you to hold down the group button or something.

To this day if I select the #5 button right to the left of the middle group button... if I'm not extra careful I'll hit group and then 5 at the same time and it blanks out the entire left side of buttons until I change it back to group 1. You can make a custom group however (in my case) you can't map the back button to work properly like it is in default mode so it's just one of those wait and see things for me.
DJ Dave Villa 3:21 PM - 14 February, 2014
I have a rane sixty eight. The same thing happened to me last night and last weekend. What do you mean by groups? i don't think there is a change layer option for the four channel mixer while using 4 decks. I really don't understand why the lights on the mixer don't light up. They don't even stay half lit when there are no ques in the slots. Throughout my set last night on either side randomly the que bottons would gain functionality and then out of nowhere stop working completely, then a half hour later it would work again. This is extremely frustrating. So can someone explain to me what you all are talking about with these "groups" so i can try to better understand what the fuck is going here. I was spending a lot of time trying to figure this out and i am convinced that this is a software issue. Everything works fine in scratch live but no serato DJ. I also noticed that I can't assign a specific deck on my CDJ 2000s nexus when I USB connect them to serato DJ. It automatically chooses the deck for me. While the CDJ issue isn't such a big deal it could be frustrating down the line and its a feature that I did have in scratch live. I feel like theres something else that bothered me about the Serato DJ software but i can't quite remember right now, I was a little wasted last night. Anyway, what can I do about this rane sixty eight issue with the ques not working?? this is making me not want to use Serato DJ at all
Ziggenpuss 12:56 PM - 23 February, 2014
On a 68 as well and same problems here... It's software/firmware update related as SSL was
fine no problems.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:57 PM - 5 March, 2014
The 68 with SDJ has many issues.. including lighting issues.
I would suggest not using the 68 with SDJ until these issues are resolved.
Hopefully this will be in 1.6.1 which will be out very soon.
DJ FlowJay 6:50 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
The 68 with SDJ has many issues.. including lighting issues.
I would suggest not using the 68 with SDJ until these issues are resolved.
Hopefully this will be in 1.6.1 which will be out very soon.

Sadly it´s NOT in 1.6.1., just checked for this lighting issue:(
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:58 PM - 25 March, 2014
Yes.. this is unfortunate.
I'm not sure where this is on the "things to do" list but we (Rane) is hoping this is sorted asap.
DJ FlowJay 7:02 PM - 25 March, 2014
Thanks in advance Zach. Big Up to the team for the Serato-Video Update!!!
Nathan Looney 3:39 PM - 11 April, 2014
Yes still an issue on the Rane 68 and I also informed them of this issue when beta testing the Rane 68 with SDJ. The cue points are still there just doesn't register on the mixer and it is random when it happens.

You can load a song in either deck and not show cue points lit up but load the same track on the other deck and lights, but not all time. Really random!

I am sure it will get worked out soon, though on the 64 no issues.

But I know the 64 was designed around SDJ but it does baffle me why they didn't design it to work with both programs.

I know SSL will soon go away but f they can convert all of their older mixers to work with SDJ it would seem they could make the 64 work with SSL.

Yes, I know it would be a lot of work in programming but I think a lot of us would actually pay to have that options.
Dj 2 Cool C 2:24 AM - 15 September, 2014
Hey Zach.

Had the issue with the left side only cue points not lighting up last night like the other users... the other thing I had that I didnt see on this thread, was the lights on the left side loop (green) and the engage button were not working either. All of the functions were working, but no lights. Have not turned back on and tried again yet... Wondering if anyone else has had this part too...

Thanks.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:03 PM - 15 September, 2014
2 Cool C,

What version of firmware do you have installed?

You'll find this by opening up the Sixty-Two's preference pane via System Preferences or the Control Panel (PC).
DJ WaffleHouse 5:52 AM - 17 September, 2014
Hey, I am having a similar problem:

When I press cue point #4 on the right dicer, the channel 1 Delete button turns orange until I release the dicer button, and then the led on the Delete button goes out completely

Also the same thing happens when I press cue point #5 on the right dicer, but this one makes left channel Cue #5 button light up orange, until I release it, then the led shuts off completely. And although the button isn't lit up, it still works normally.

The only way I can seem to get everything lit up again is to press the Delete button on the mixer, as if i was going to delete a cue point.

I am positive that I don't have any midi presets that are loaded, and I have the mixer midi output turned off.

I am using SSL 2.5.0 & my Rane mixer firmware is 2.2.1
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:24 PM - 17 September, 2014
Wafflehouse,

It sounds like you have a MIDI conflict happening.
Do this:

Shut down SSL.
Open the _Serato_ folder within the Music folder on your internal drive.
Open the MIDI folder.
Delete the autosave.xml file and any other MIDI preset files in there.

Now open SSL and see if you still have that problem.

If so, please start a new help request and we'll help you there.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 7:09 AM - 22 September, 2014
Hey all,

If you haven't already, I'd suggest try Serato DJ 1.7.0, as it contains some improvements around MIDI and the Sixty Eight.

Quote:

Additional controls available for MIDI mapping on Rane Sixty Series Mixers:
Rane Sixty-One: All controls
Rane Sixty-Two, Sixty-Four and Sixty-Eight: FX section (all layers), Mixer section [EQ's, faders] (all layers), Mic (all layers), All controls (secondary layers)
(serato.com)

What Zach Said is a good idea too, as a corrupt MIDI mapping file can cause some issues.
If that doesn't help, the best way to get some help with this issue is to hit up our support team by opening a help request here; support.serato.com
They are best equipped to take a look at the issue and try to find a solution for you, put as much detail as you can into the help request and they will get back in touch with you as soon as they can.

Cheers!
DJ FlowJay 3:09 PM - 7 October, 2014
Quote:
Hey all,

If you haven't already, I'd suggest try Serato DJ 1.7.0, as it contains some improvements around MIDI and the Sixty Eight.

Quote:
Additional controls available for MIDI mapping on Rane Sixty Series Mixers:
Rane Sixty-One: All controls
Rane Sixty-Two, Sixty-Four and Sixty-Eight: FX section (all layers), Mixer section [EQ's, faders] (all layers), Mic (all layers), All controls (secondary layers)
(serato.com)

Hey Karl Y,

we got some help in another thread i can´t find it now:

Go to System Settings(i´m on a mac), 68 panel, UNCHECK THEN CHECK AGAIN button backlight and it works again. that´s the workaround for now,perhaps you other guys missed this

Quote:

What Zach Said is a good idea too, as a corrupt MIDI mapping file can cause some issues.
If that doesn't help, the best way to get some help with this issue is to hit up our support team by opening a help request here; support.serato.com
They are best equipped to take a look at the issue and try to find a solution for you, put as much detail as you can into the help request and they will get back in touch with you as soon as they can.

Cheers!
Serato, Support
Karl Y 3:34 PM - 7 October, 2014
Hi DJ FlowJay

thanks for the heads up.

Good to know there is a workaround :)

Cheers

Karl
DJ FlowJay 10:54 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
Hi DJ FlowJay

thanks for the heads up.

Good to know there is a workaround :)

Cheers

Karl

no problem
merahhj 12:48 PM - 12 April, 2017
Same prob using Serato dj but so far. My work around has been open device panel then close it, my lights come on right away. Serato should fix this if they sat they support this device
YZ 6:51 PM - 12 April, 2017
Zach is no longer :( He was a good employee of Rane.
djkinesse 5:25 PM - 28 January, 2018
Hey, I have a Rane 61, and before last night I’ve never had any problems since I got it when it first came out years ago. Last night I plugged in, and none of the lights came on however when I plugged it into my laptop, the blue light that recognizes the laptop came on. But there is no Audio coming from the mixer.. does anybody have a clue as to what is going on???