DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

anyone switched from traktor to serato?

BIGG BEAR 8:46 PM - 24 January, 2013
Been using traktor for a few years,Im thinking of buying skratch live for a change and it looks a bit more fun to use,Has anyone made this switch and how did you find serato after using traktor? Also is it possible to make the font size bigger in serato to save having to squint at the laptop?
blackavenger 9:01 PM - 24 January, 2013
It's funny, there are a lot of kats on here thinking the opposite...haha.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:30 PM - 24 January, 2013
Ironic yes i really do think
Laz219 10:53 PM - 24 January, 2013
Pretty sure Ctrl +/- changes the font size. It can definitely be done, just not sure if that's the key command.
AlexC. 5:39 AM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Been using traktor for a few years,Im thinking of buying skratch live for a change and it looks a bit more fun to use,Has anyone made this switch and how did you find serato after using traktor? Also is it possible to make the font size bigger in serato to save having to squint at the laptop?

I switched...and for some reason serato (ssl) just feels a lot less constrained & more intuitive. Find myself more focused on the music itself rather than the software. its def more fun as well imo. Can't really explain why though...but im sure the layout has a lot to do with it (for me it just looks a lot sleeker than traktor as well).

And yes ctrl + increases font size.
Daniel Ventura 7:32 AM - 28 January, 2013
don't do this!

me and many other collegues are switching from ssl to traktor at the moment.
sadly ssl is technically outdated and serato don't care bout loyal scratch live customers.

you don't have:

- a proper keylock (for years now) -> traktor has it
- proper hid implementation for cdjs -> traktor has it
- the ability to use different soundcards (like djm 900, cdjs etc) -> traktor has it
- no coverart for flac -> traktor has it
- no midi out (for years now) -> traktor has it

and there are more points...

just stay with traktor ssl is loosing the market more and more...
DJ Eighty 8 10:50 AM - 28 January, 2013
Getting my popcorn ready...........^^your gonna get torched!
boi pickup 11:42 AM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Getting my popcorn ready...........^^your gonna get torched!

agreed! hahaha. traktor users are you ready, serato users are you ready.

LET'S GET IT ON!
Daniel Ventura 11:49 AM - 28 January, 2013
i'm still a serato user (since more than 8 years) so i know what i'm talking bout ;-)
DJMark 12:41 PM - 28 January, 2013
Switched from Traktor to Scratch Live in 2005.

I see zero reason to consider switching back. I hear Native Instruments support and forum-administration are both as shitty as ever.

If I didn't actually know how to DJ, of course, I might feel differently.
Daniel Ventura 12:43 PM - 28 January, 2013
in 2005 serato was the leading software no doubt :-)
blackavenger 12:46 PM - 28 January, 2013
You know, I believe that you use what works for you, and like the OP, ScratchLIVE has been letting me down for years now, with the exception of FLAC support, which literally took 7 years to implement! There hasn't been one exciting (barring the afore mentioned) feature update in about 2 years!!! The SL4 was the last exciting thing that I can remember, and even that was something that required you to spend $800 to take advantage of.

I remember when exciting features were being popped out on the regular......with just about every version release. So, I agree w' the OP, if you are the type of DJ that likes to be challenged into new and "exciting" frontiers, then perhaps other DVS' are the way to go.

I have owned ScratchLIVE since late 2005, and will never sell my SL3 just in case Serato decide that it matters to them again. But, I too have started exploring other avenue which is Tractor Scratch, because at least they are still in "innovator mode", and are pushing out fresh, exciting, and useful features on the regular.
blackavenger 12:48 PM - 28 January, 2013
Not the OP, I was agreeing w' Daniel Ventura.
Daniel Ventura 12:50 PM - 28 January, 2013
word :-)
DJMark 12:57 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
in 2005 serato was the leading software no doubt :-)

Not according to NI fanboys at the time...

Same as it ever was.

There's plenty of features I'd like in Scratch Live (some of them no doubt too esoteric for 99.9% of the market), and I'm not particularly pleased that development resources at Serato have obviously been diverted to the kiddie/controller market for some time (though the economic logic is clear enough).
blackavenger 1:15 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
There's plenty of features I'd like in Scratch Live (some of them no doubt too esoteric for 99.9% of the market)

You know, I just have to mention this.... outside of the DJ world, Serato are known for the
amazing Time-Stretching software, "Pitch & Time". Many, many moons ago, there was a campaign of begging/threatening/pleading w' Serato to take some of that Time-Stretching prowess and deliver the best KeyLock that the DJ world had ever seen. Serato kept making excuses, stating that they would eventually get around to it, but NOTHING ever became of it!|

Now Serato are the makers of introductory DJ software. Do you really think that a kid who purchased the WeGO can recognize, let alone care whether the KeyLock is crap or not? Well, I'll answer my own question.....they can't, and CERTAINLY won't!!

So guess what Professionally Inclined DJs? You take the back seat to amateurs yet again!!

And some of you guys wonder why us longtime users are less than satisfied with this aging product, and are looking elsewhere??

Perhaps some of you should admit yourselves amongst the ranks of the WeGO clueless?!?
Chris Deluxe 2:46 PM - 28 January, 2013
After 2 years of traktor, i switched to serato in 2009 and never looked back.
I use my product professionally, i front of crowds, who want to hear music, without 5 flangers over it while i play 3 acapella's over the beat with compressors.
I enjoy watching the 4 deck synced loop traktor movies on youtube, but i can't find any use for it in front of a regular crowd, all night long.
Daniel Ventura 2:49 PM - 28 January, 2013
but that "simple" style is also possible in traktor? i'm new to traktor but i'm exactly doing what you described... nearly every weekend in the clubs, no playing around with sync or effects, just "simple" deejaying. works the same way as in ssl ...but better :-)
DjWoody 2:59 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Switched from Traktor to Scratch Live in 2005.

Traktor (Final Scratch) in 2005 was nothing like the Traktor of today. I too switched from Traktor to SSL in 2005. However, I also own it's current incarnation but I rarely use it. Why? Convenience & Serato Video. Serato is everywhere so I rarely take my box out. But if I know ahead of time that a venue has a Traktor box (Audio 8, 10, etc), I'll use it.
blackavenger 4:58 PM - 28 January, 2013
Just to be clear, Traktor never even seemed like a viable replacement to me until' 2.5, with the introduction of those awesome Remix Decks! Those Remix Decks are what I had always wished that the SP-6 would become......I asked Serato for that type of functionality even before the SP-6 actually came out, so I consider this Serato's fault for COMPLETELY dropping the ball on this. Hey, they were content w' the SP-6 being used for Airhorns, and DJ Name Drops....so Traktor left them in the dust as a result!

I mean, there were other things that had me curious about Traktor over the years: Superior KeyLock, FLAC Support, Traktor Effects on Standard Vinyl through Live Input, Amazing/Diverse/Customizable Internal Effects, and GUI Customization. But again, once the Remix Decks were a reality, I could ignore Traktor no more!

Listen, I have been using Traktor Pro 2 w' my NS6, so I hadn't fully committed yet. I was holding out for/hoping that the rumor mill was true regarding the SeratoDJ/ScratchLIVE merger. If ScratchLIVE had a Soft-Sync'd SP-6, it would be nearly identical to The remix Decks within Traktor. But alas, nothing came from those rumors. Now, I have little reason to doubt that the merger will eventually happen, but frankly after waiting sooooo loooong, I am just sick of it already. I'll try it out once Serato come to their senses, and realize that they started off as a provider of Professional DJ Software, not a rival of Mattel!!!
Daniel Ventura 5:12 PM - 28 January, 2013
that's it most of us were loyal to serato...but we're sick of waiting...
DJ GOOK 5:38 PM - 28 January, 2013
stability is the number 1 thing in djing. Everybody is waiting for updates. What do you need an update for now. Then when they give you all the bells and whistles, then you all cry about how Serato is not stabil. Please stop crying. You never updated your turntables
Daniel Ventura 5:43 PM - 28 January, 2013
nobodies' crying in here, other software is stable too even the 2nd class software like vdj or mixvibes are rock stable these days. stability is a base for every dj software these days.
traktor for example is stable too and has the features. where is seratos problem?
DJ GOOK 5:49 PM - 28 January, 2013
we do not need all the bells and whistles :)
the_black_one 6:16 PM - 28 January, 2013
You all sound like you need to remove the sand out of your viginas.
ral 7:15 PM - 28 January, 2013
serato scratch live, we need
- cd crash fix
- pitch n time plugin
- bridge update for ableton 9
- do not remove mix emergency support for video djs
- please, no auto stink in scratch live, the bridge will do (and traktor, serato dj, etc)
Mr. Goodkat 7:28 PM - 28 January, 2013
- a proper keylock (for years now) -> traktor has it --- if i was playing real records, wouldnt have it anyway.
- proper hid implementation for cdjs -> traktor has it -- don't need hid
- the ability to use different soundcards (like djm 900, cdjs etc) -> traktor has it -- nice but not a problem for me.
- no coverart for flac -> traktor has it --- no cover art for flac, ---- non factor, worst 'reason'ive ever heard.
- no midi out (for years now) -> traktor has it -- don't need

and there are more points... ---> need more points, 2-3 points that 99% aren't using not enough reason to switch, unless you need a cheaper option.

just stay with traktor ssl is loosing the market more and more...(losing)

heres my upsides to trakor.

time code is better, not even a contest, just turn off the power down a tt.

sound is more colored - not always a good thing, but some files definitely improve, i still think

serato's sound can be great, its just really obvious when a file sounds bad.

remix loops are better than sp-6, unless you just want 6 phrase sampler spots(which is really all i need)

you can dj within your laptop or computer, without a ext. sound card. kinda cool for sitting around figuring out going through tunes.

sync- and actually they have 2 modes, beat(lines up with grid) and tempo(makes the tempo of the incoming song the same as the last one) either one would be a feature plus in ssl i(f there is an on/off button)

efx are better, great for edm sets.
------
why i dont like traktor

simple things like having your itunes library not having key lock column.

i like the ability to see tracks played in color. not available in the itunes library in tsp

the control vinyl is not the same quality as the new ssl cvs

midi is easier to set up than in traktor.

vertical or horizontal wav files display in ssl

greater chance that a serato box will be found in a club or dj set up than a traktor sound card.

i dont really use internal efx much, so a pio mixers efx are fine for me.

ive had 2 crashes in ssl since 06 and both were to due to corrupt files. last one was in 08ish and ive played around 1200+ paid gigs with ssl.
blackavenger 7:55 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
- a proper keylock (for years now) -> traktor has it --- if i was playing real records, wouldnt have it anyway.
- the ability to use different soundcards (like djm 900, cdjs etc) -> traktor has it -- nice but not a problem for me.
- no coverart for flac -> traktor has it --- no cover art for flac, ---- non factor, worst 'reason'ive ever heard.

Just because "you" don't want/need those features doesn't mean there arent hundreds of peeps that do. I know quite a few people (someformal members of this forum) that have ditched ScratchLIVE long ago in pursuit of the features You and I have entioned.mentioned.

It cannot be denied that there was a certain string of releaes that Serato had (which lasted years) where they were bringing madd innovation to DVS. So too it cannot be denied that for some reason Serato has become stale on that innovation front.
Dj Nyce 8:22 PM - 28 January, 2013
you guys saying scratch live doesn't need bells and whistles are crazy.

scratch live needs

-midi out
-rane 62 should not be crippled when scratch live is running
-some sort of file management update
-smart crates that aren't stupid

and what the hell happened to faster development for serato video?
the_black_one 8:25 PM - 28 January, 2013
1) I NEED midi out badly
2) the key lock is what it is
3) HID on CDJ 2000 blows
4) Serato video blows.... **** CUE IN ME*******
5)the cd insert issue should be fixed like 4 months ago.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:31 PM - 28 January, 2013
I dont think being able to eject a cd without my laptop exploding is to much to ask in 2013
the_black_one 8:39 PM - 28 January, 2013
Im still on 2.3 just because of the cd issue.

Is also fucking ridiculous that a CDJ 2000 fucking skips in HID mode
Mr. Goodkat 9:07 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Just because "you" don't want/need those features doesn't mean there arent hundreds of peeps that do. I know quite a few people (someformal members of this forum) that have ditched ScratchLIVE long ago in pursuit of the features You and I have entioned.mentioned.

It cannot be denied that there was a certain string of releaes that Serato had (which lasted years) where they were bringing madd innovation to DVS. So too it cannot be denied that for some reason Serato has become stale on that innovation front.

true, but flac files having cover art? thats stretching a bit.

if this guy was really into using all the things that TSP has that SSL doesnt, he wouldnt be asking about switching in the first place.
blackavenger 9:21 PM - 28 January, 2013
HID (that "used" to work), KeyLock, and MIDI-Out are all pretty important.....and you'd be surprised how many peeps on this forum do want/require FLAC Cover Art. Though, I'll admit, it's a non-issue for me too.

But, whatever, I've made my points. Serato need to step it up!!
Personally, I don't care anymore. I've made my decision to
buy Traktor Scratch. I've been using it for months now, and can
live w' it's shortcomings, more than I can Serato's.

As I said, I'll keep my SL3, but the NS6 is going bye-bye.....If I
should decide to get another controller, I'll get the VCi-400, as it's
fully compatible w' both SeratoDJ & Traktor.

I'm never "devoting" myself to another company like I did w' Serato...
that shit is stupid! If one doesn't deliver, then perhaps the other will.
Mr. Goodkat 9:28 PM - 28 January, 2013
i understand the frustration. I'm using both right now and have the z2 mixer. to bad you arent in my area, i have a complete a10 for sale(got it cheap, have the mixer).

still some little things in traktor that i want as well as ssl, so the little things kind of even out for me, with ssl being quicker and easier. if i only played all house/techno gigs, switching would be a no-brainer.
blackavenger 9:53 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
if i only played all house/techno gigs, switching would be a no-brainer.

I only play Deep/Tech House, Minimal, Drum n' Bass, Dubstep, & UKGarage when I play out.

The Golden-Era HipHop that I love playing is for home sessions only....Sadly, I haven't managed to find a bar/club that wants to hear it exclusively. They always want that contemporary garbage to accompany it, which I refuse to play.
blackavenger 9:57 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
I'm using both right now and have the z2 mixer

Actually I was considering the Z2. That, or the Denon DN-X1600.
How do you like the Z2? You think it's convenience outweighs it's
shortcomings, and current problems?
DJ Eighty 8 10:38 PM - 28 January, 2013
Do "Serato People" go in to Traktor's forums and have this back and forth debate? If your switching, why not just do it and keep moving. Should I go on Ford's website and compare them to Chevy? I mean your on Serato's main forum shitting on something that "most" don't have an issue with. Yep, Serato needs to get their heads outta their asses on some things, but it doesn't hold me up on DJin' on any given night. If I want Traktor then I'll buy Traktor, but I like Serato and I don't want them to be like Traktor. I just want them to keep the damn thing stable cause this shit crashes with my 62 if I do the wrong shit. I sometimes hate all of the extra shit cause it seems to weigh Serato down and I find myself not using half of that shit anyway........
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:41 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Do "Serato People" go in to Traktor's forums and have this back and forth debate?

Traktors forums dont foster original thought or debate
DJ Eighty 8 10:44 PM - 28 January, 2013
When N doubt............listen 2 Bezzle!
blackavenger 10:57 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Do "Serato People" go in to Traktor's forums and have this back and forth debate?

Traktors forums dont foster original thought or debate

Actually, that's not true at all....I've seen several positive posts about things that Serato does better than Traktor, on Traktor's forum.

I think it's a positive thing to hold Serato accountable for their mishaps. I also think it's positive to compare Serato & Traktor as they are the 2 Top Dogs in the DVS game, and
if either hopes to garner their competitor's market share, then they need to be made
aware of each others strengths compared to their own.

I only want Serato to get good again. It's the same tired position I've held for many years. And you know what? For all the bullshit I've endured w' them, I am entitled to a little
venting.
DJ Eighty 8 11:07 PM - 28 January, 2013
I'm down with VENTING and not BASHING because Serato is STILL the SHIT! I agree with you on some of the things that you said, but it took Traktor a minute to get their shit right too and I still know people that want MORE(why I don't know?) from them too. I vote Rane doesn't let Z-Trip design another mixer.........?
Mr. Goodkat 11:16 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

its a nice mixer, great with traktor and great for the price. got a replacement xfader, and have been cool with it ever since. you know the face plate issues, but thats only aesthetic, and is not the end of the world to me.

ive actually been running through serato through it on occasion and i really like the sound of it with serato(although the filter is kinda harsh).

over the last 6 years all my gigs(save 10-20 here or there on a 900) have been through a rane ttm 57 or Pioneer 800. i think this mixer sounds better than a ttm and on par or better with an 800. which isnt going to impress any audiophiles, but i personally thought at that price point, that would be a huge weakness.
blackavenger 12:53 AM - 29 January, 2013
Thanks, Mr. Goodkat
Laz219 1:28 AM - 29 January, 2013
Obviously a lot of people always like to have new features to play with, and I've always enjoyed seeing what was coming out in the next major point release. In retrospect though, I rarely use these features. I don't use the SP-6 (and still wouldn't really even if it had all the features people want from it) I only use DJ-FX for echo out (not really interested in layering 5 effects over eachother)
For a lot of people I think Serato is just fine because all we really want is a clean interface, easy track sorting and stability.
I haven't come across the 'crash on CD eject' issue but that is the only thing that has really been mentioned that I'd personally have major issues with because I consider that a core function of SSL.
Will08272 2:33 AM - 29 January, 2013
I placed a order on a z2 looking forward to it, ill mess around with traktor a bit more didnt come away to impressed on first go around, will be picking up an sl2 to go along with it.
Mr. Goodkat 5:23 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
Obviously a lot of people always like to have new features to play with, and I've always enjoyed seeing what was coming out in the next major point release. In retrospect though, I rarely use these features. I don't use the SP-6 (and still wouldn't really even if it had all the features people want from it) I only use DJ-FX for echo out (not really interested in layering 5 effects over eachother)
For a lot of people I think Serato is just fine because all we really want is a clean interface, easy track sorting and stability.
I haven't come across the 'crash on CD eject' issue but that is the only thing that has really been mentioned that I'd personally have major issues with because I consider that a core function of SSL.

thats kinda how i see it. this guy is originally asking about a simple switch. if he said he needed synced remix decks and crazy effects, i would say stay. but if you just want to dj, like you would dj with records or cds with a traditional mixer, seems like ssl is the way to go imo.
BERTO 6:06 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
don't do this!

me and many other collegues are switching from ssl to traktor at the moment.
sadly ssl is technically outdated and serato don't care bout loyal scratch live customers.

you don't have:

- a proper keylock (for years now) -> traktor has it
- proper hid implementation for cdjs -> traktor has it
- the ability to use different soundcards (like djm 900, cdjs etc) -> traktor has it
- no coverart for flac -> traktor has it
- no midi out (for years now) -> traktor has it

and there are more points...

just stay with traktor ssl is loosing the market more and more...

Im a die hard ssl user, but i cannot deny this is happening more and more. Djs are switching over, i still have faith though
Daniel Ventura 7:51 AM - 29 January, 2013
ok, sorry for that FLAC coverart thing it's really not that important.
but to extend the list:

serato has NOT:

- a usable sample Player (synced) (for years now) -> Traktor has it
- a way to simply eject a CD without fucking up -> Traktor has it
- proper plug n play routine with their highest class soundcard (SL4) -> Traktor has it
- etc.

serato has:

- a rock solid dvs System for turntables -> Traktor has it too

...not more or less...

maybe i'm wrong because i'm new to Traktor but never heard from or experienced such oder equal issues from Traktor side. For sure every Software has it's flaws but not in that way.

it simply works with the mentioned Features?

Here in germany you'd rarely find dj booths with preinstalled sl deviced.
but nearly every Club has a djm 900 and/or cdjs with their integrated soundcards for use with Traktor.
And serato stuff sales are falling constantly in two big music equipment suppliers in germany i got good connections to.

they're always telling us to wait wait wait but i'm sick of waiting for years now for such "simple" features which are available on the market already.
my personal deadline was the namm Show...nothing happend so i'm switching.
But as said, i'd never sell my sl3, i still have the hope that serato comes back someday.
and i'm willing to pay for proper, regular updates.
PorkyG 8:35 AM - 29 January, 2013
Get both, no need to limit yourself.
PorkyG 8:39 AM - 29 January, 2013
Oh and If you plan on using video, you'll want Serato but like I said don't limit yourself if you have the means to own both then you should.
WarpNote 8:44 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
Roll back a dot release? And if all booths have cdj's anyway, why would I need to insert the CD into the computer at all? New generation Macs don't come with CD players in the first place...

For events nowadays, I just tell the clients to bring a USB key with the special tracks they need for any "performance"...

Quote:
- proper plug n play routine with their highest class soundcard (SL4)
What's wrong with the SL4 connection? At least on my computer, it will normally remember what usb channel goes to what deck, same thing for the 68 mixer...

The one thing I really don't like with Traktor is the library, and lack of prepare window...
blackavenger 8:46 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
my personal deadline was the namm Show...nothing happend so i'm switching.
But as said, i'd never sell my sl3, i still have the hope that serato comes back someday.
and i'm willing to pay for proper, regular updates.

WORD!!!
Dj Nyce 3:10 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Roll back a dot release? And if all booths have cdj's anyway, why would I need to insert the CD into the computer at all? New generation Macs don't come with CD players in the first place...

For events nowadays, I just tell the clients to bring a USB key with the special tracks they need for any "performance"...

Quote:
- proper plug n play routine with their highest class soundcard (SL4)
What's wrong with the SL4 connection? At least on my computer, it will normally remember what usb channel goes to what deck, same thing for the 68 mixer...

The one thing I really don't like with Traktor is the library, and lack of prepare window...

i don't play cd's on my laptop anymore (there is a hard dirve installed in its place). but i can see why this needs to be available and why it won't work in some club situations. in the club the cdj's are wired to sl 4, the sl 4 to the mixer. you have to rewire the cdj's to play through the mixer if the sl box doesn't have the external power supply or you are switching laptops.

bottom line is this is a simple function and we shouldn't have to be worrying about simple functionality in 2013 a la midi out.
DJ Matty Stiles 3:54 PM - 29 January, 2013
I myself am more than satisfied with Serato The only thing I would want them to do is to sync the SP-6 to compete with the Remix decks of TS. For me it's too much fuss having ableton running at the same time. I still have hope - if they can sync the SP-6 with sera to DJ they can do it with scratch live
WarpNote 9:13 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
in the club the cdj's are wired to sl 4, the sl 4 to the mixer. you have to rewire the cdj's to play through the mixer if the sl box doesn't have the external power supply or you are switching laptops.

I agree, in a few situations it might be an issue. However, in my experience, its very rare. As long as aleast one of the laptops are powered on, and connected to the box, you'll be able to play in thru mode. Just make sure there are 2 usb cables plugged into the SL4 at all times.

If anything, this is an area where SSL (using SL4/62/68) is better than Traktor IMO...
blackavenger 9:22 PM - 29 January, 2013
^ I absolutely agree ^

When perusing the Traktor Forum & DJTT Forum, that is the single
most requested feature for Traktor that I see......(2) USBs like Serato has!
forty 10:46 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
in the club the cdj's are wired to sl 4, the sl 4 to the mixer. you have to rewire the cdj's to play through the mixer if the sl box doesn't have the external power supply or you are switching laptops./quote]

If the mixer has digital inputs on the channels, you could connect the output of the CD's with a SPDIF cable.

Alternatively, a simple set of splitters on the CDJ outs with a set of RCA's feeding the SL4 inputs and one feeding the line inputs on the mixer would solve the problem.
forty 10:47 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
in the club the cdj's are wired to sl 4, the sl 4 to the mixer. you have to rewire the cdj's to play through the mixer if the sl box doesn't have the external power supply or you are switching laptops.

If the mixer has digital inputs on the channels, you could connect the output of the CD's with a SPDIF cable.

Alternatively, a simple set of splitters on the CDJ outs with a set of RCA's feeding the SL4 inputs and one feeding the line inputs on the mixer would solve the problem.
echa1945mf 12:40 AM - 30 January, 2013
use to be in traktor, moved to SL for its stability , but since the 2,5 traktor stability has way improved ... now i use both
DJ Reflex 1:11 AM - 30 January, 2013
This debate could go on for a long time... as it should.

We have two systems for what we do as DJs. Each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Asking both systems to have the other one's features is like asking Burger King to start making the Big Mac. People choose what system they want based on the features they need. It's been a while since I've used Traktor (it was full of bugs back then and very unstable), and I've been using SSL since it came out. Some features I use, and others I don't (like most of the posts above).

I say continue the debate and let the competition dictate how advanced, or how simplistic, SSL and Traktor can develop. Who knows, maybe a third contender will rise to the ranks and we'll be having this discussion on a new forum...
eugguy 1:59 AM - 30 January, 2013
I'm still in love with Serato. I've also got Traktor and a S2 controller. I've played around with Traktor Scratch. Serato keeps it simple and fun. It's been a stable ride for me. Only one crash at a sorority formal, but it was due to my computer at the time. I was running a p.o.s. dell. Luckily I always have a backup plan, the event was saved. There are improvements that can be made. But to me, it is nit-picking. Traktor has too many bells and whistles to be honest, and I play 100% house music.
blackavenger 2:00 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Burger King to start making the Big Mac.

Bad example, because Burger King did sorta' make a Big mac ;-)

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese......just no center bun.

1.bp.blogspot.com

So you see, they could adopt eachothers features, just give them their own twist ;-)
eugguy 2:02 AM - 30 January, 2013
I would love an empath rotary mixer ttm57 style. A hybrid rotary mixer would make my day.
blackavenger 2:05 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Serato keeps it simple and fun. It's been a stable ride for me. Only one crash at a sorority formal......Traktor has too many bells and whistles to be honest, and I play 100% house music.

Sorry, homie, but those two statements don't add up :-)
Dj Nyce 3:20 AM - 30 January, 2013
my bad i meant sl 2. in the case of the sl 4/62/68 this is a non-issue.
Laz219 6:23 AM - 30 January, 2013
Completely forgot the reason I have never seen the crash on CD eject is because Thru mode works perfectly whenever I've had to play a CD.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:03 PM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Apparently qberts using the z2 now
Mr. Goodkat 8:40 PM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Apparently qberts using the z2 now

i love rane mixers, and am not gonna doubt their quality, build, or feature sets.

that being said, 800$ is hard to beat for the 2z with xlr, 1/4'', and rca outs and built in sound card. esp with the price of the 61/62.
blackavenger 8:50 PM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
i love rane mixers, and am not gonna doubt their quality, build, or feature sets.

that being said, 800$ is hard to beat for the 2z with xlr, 1/4'', and rca outs and built in sound card. esp with the price of the 61/62.

This.

But I am also contemplating the Denon X1600. I mean, it has MIDI galore, on board Effects, a built-in soundcard, super-accurate VU meters, outstanding sound quality, great build quality, and is Traktor Scratch Certified....oh yeah, and just about the same price too.

It's sooo hard to decide which one to get.
the_black_one 9:24 PM - 30 January, 2013
The thing with Rane hardware is that it core and asio drivers so u can use the hardware for many programs. You can use Rane hardware with traktor, abelton, ect..... Having Rane hardware gives you the most options.
phatbob 9:27 PM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
The thing with Rane hardware is that it core and asio drivers so u can use the hardware for many programs. You can use Rane hardware with traktor, abelton, ect..... Having Rane hardware gives you the most options.

Same applies to all the Traktor hardware too though. That's not a USP.

I'm not using Traktor at gigs so I mostly use my Audio 6 with Ableton for the Bridge.
the_black_one 10:59 PM - 30 January, 2013
You can't use ni sound cards with serato
phatbob 11:05 PM - 30 January, 2013
You can't use Rane devices with Traktor Scratch, either.
Mr. Goodkat 11:41 PM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
You can use Rane hardware with traktor, abelton, ect..... Having Rane hardware gives you the most options.

you still have to have a sl box. what do you mean?
the_black_one 1:11 AM - 31 January, 2013
If you have a Rane interface you can use the asio or core drivers for other programs other than serato. I can use a sl3 with traktor........not time code. So basically having that interface gives u access to both major programs rather than having any other sound card and not having access to serato
blackavenger 2:16 AM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
So basically having that interface gives u access to both major programs rather than having any other sound card and not having access to serato

Yeah, but you still don't have access to Traktor Scratch. I would rather have either an interface each by themselves w' a non-DVS mixer, or a DVS specific mixer with the competitor's interface as an add-on for versatility, along with another interface so I don't have to bring out the mixer if I don't want.

Let's compare:

Rane 61 (new) $1,400 + Traktor Audio6 (used) $150 + SL3 (used) $400 = $1,950

NI Z2 (new) $800 + SL3 (used) $400 + Traktor Audio6 (used) $150 = $1,350

Which one do you think is the better deal?
DjWoody 4:00 AM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:

Let's compare:

Rane 61 (new) $1,400 + Traktor Audio6 (used) $150 + SL3 (used) $400 = $1,950

NI Z2 (new) $800 + SL3 (used) $400 + Traktor Audio6 (used) $150 = $1,350

Which one do you think is the better deal?

If you have a Z2 why would you need an Audio 6? That defeats the purpose of the Z2.
blackavenger 4:17 AM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
If you have a Z2 why would you need an Audio 6? That defeats the purpose of the Z2.

Not at all. So you've "always" been able to bring whatever equipment you wanted to a party/gig? I've played at plenty of parties where the promoter wasn't having any of that. They were tolerant of peeps bringing their own Soundcard Interfaces, but weren't down with you bringing out your 57.

The whole time that I owned my 57, I also owned an SL3.....for situations just like that.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:40 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
If you have a Rane interface you can use the asio or core drivers for other programs other than serato. I can use a sl3 with traktor........not time code. So basically having that interface gives u access to both major programs rather than having any other sound card and not having access to serato

Unless you have an sl1 :(
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:43 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Not at all. So you've "always" been able to bring whatever equipment you wanted to a party/gig? I've played at plenty of parties where the promoter wasn't having any of that. They were tolerant of peeps bringing their own Soundcard Interfaces, but weren't down with you bringing out your 57.

The whole time that I owned my 57, I also owned an SL3.....for situations just like that.

But still why would you need an audio 6, also alot of us already have a rane soundcard so the z2 is the better choice
Dj Nyce 4:05 PM - 31 January, 2013
if you have the z2 there isn't a need for an a6. i would only get the a6 if you were using a pioneer or rane mixer.
blackavenger 4:06 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
alot of us already have a rane soundcard so the z2 is the better choice

That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
But still why would you need an audio 6

To mimic this same situation, but w' the opposite DVS.......

Quote:
So you've "always" been able to bring whatever equipment you wanted to a party/gig? I've played at plenty of parties where the promoter wasn't having any of that. They were tolerant of peeps bringing their own Soundcard Interfaces (Audio6), but weren't down with you bringing out your 57 Z2.

The whole time that I owned my 57 Z2, I also owned an SL3 Audio6.....for situations just like that

.......I don't get why you don't understand this?
blackavenger 4:19 PM - 31 January, 2013
Say you got booked for a party. okay, The promoter says you can't bring out your mixer (Z2/57) because they don't want you mucking w' the setup...they don't even want to provide you with a channel on the board for you to hook up your mixer to. okay. In that situation, you can only play at this party if you have an Audio Interface (SL2/3/4 or Audio4/6/8/10) to' hook up to their existing mixer. If all you have is your Z2 or 57SL then you are SOL to play at the event. Understand now?

If you current Serato (SL2/3/4) owners bought a Z2 to use, but also practiced with, and enjoyed using Traktor Scratch, and let's say you wanted to use Traktor Scratch at this party you were booked for, then you would have to buy a used/new Audio4/6/8/10 to play out with.
Dj Nyce 5:58 PM - 31 January, 2013
ahh. i see your point now. i guess you would carry the a6 in the same manner that most people carry their sl boxes with them.
DjWoody 8:52 PM - 31 January, 2013
I can't even remember when was the last time I used my SL1 or my Audio 8 for all that matters. Everywhere I play has one is already installed. But either way, I do exactly what he says and carry my SL box with me when I play at new venues.
WarpNote 12:06 PM - 2 February, 2013
After spinning on SSL for about 6 years, I haven´t been to a single club that have an SL box installed, a few 57´s that´s all. Its mostly Pioneer and a&h where I´m at...
BIGG BEAR 10:48 PM - 3 February, 2013
Same here in the uk never seen a serato box in a club,one of the advantages of traktor scratch is that you use it with an audio 8/10 etc,but if you just wanted to use a controller on its own for a gig you can use any soundcard you want, you're not restricted to an Ni soundcard unless you're using timecode.
The reason for me to consider the switch,well not really a switch as I would use either or depending on what I felt like, is simple,download one piece of software then its plug and play with a serato box at least thats how I understand it anyway?

I also like the prep window in serato traktor could do with this function! there is a workround in traktor but its not as straight forward.
I like using more than 2 decks mainly for acapellas and stuff even with traktors 4 decks I dont use this function as often as I did when I used to play on 3 cds and I think this is something software makers need to look at,you only have one crate open at a time and I dont like flipping between crates wheras with cds you would dedicate one deck for acas and have the aca cds in a pile next to that player.
In software I would like to have the option to have 2 crates or playlists open at the same time.
Anyone got a workround method for this?

I know you can do more in traktor but lets be honest for most gigs most of us mix one song into another rinse and repeat and maybe use a few effects,the sync thing dos'nt worry me anymore! it keeps 2 tracks in time but it won't tell you the best place to mix,it won't pick the next tune,its just a tool and anyway I learned to mix 20 odd years ago on belt drive turntables so it's not an issue either way for me, other than some newbie wannabe djs can perhaps string together a half decent mix that they would'nt otherwise be able to do.
In this game we always had chancers the mobile DJs who would start up in November and finish for the year on the 1st of Jan,the ex celebs or sportsmen who would suddenly become djs and take work off the proper pros.the venus throwing dj competitions on a regular basis to get free djs.I just wish there was'nt as many of the fuckers!
blackavenger 3:39 AM - 4 February, 2013
Quote:
I like using more than 2 decks mainly for acapellas and stuff even with traktors 4 decks I dont use this function as often as I did when I used to play on 3 cds and I think this is something software makers need to look at,you only have one crate open at a time and I dont like flipping between crates wheras with cds you would dedicate one deck for acas and have the aca cds in a pile next to that player.
In software I would like to have the option to have 2 crates or playlists open at the same time.

The only thing I can think of is to load up all 24 slots on the SP-6. It's not exactly what you have in mind, but it is at least a work-around.
blackavenger 3:40 AM - 4 February, 2013
Or if you currently have Traktor, get an F1, and then you would have 64 samples/accapellas to work with.
dj_soo 9:37 AM - 4 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The only thing I can think of is to load up all 24 slots on the SP-6. It's not exactly what you have in mind, but it is at least a work-around.

you can also grab a midi controller with some sliders and map SP6 pitch faders and pitch bends to the sample banks and beatmatch with those.
Marv Incredible 9:51 AM - 4 February, 2013
Quote:
you can also grab a midi controller with some sliders and map SP6 pitch faders and pitch bends to the sample banks and beatmatch with those.

I tried that with an APC40. Messy.

I have to say, NI got it pretty much spot on with the remix decks and remix deck sets especially. Sadly it seems Serato have fallen behind NI with their sample player in the same way they have to ME with their video plugin.
blackavenger 2:09 PM - 4 February, 2013
^ Yup ^
DJ Remy USA 2:45 PM - 4 February, 2013
Quote:

CDJs have always skipped with DVS to me maybe its just my settings tho
the_black_one 5:46 PM - 4 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Crash when insert cd into computer and in Hid mode the cdjs skip
Daniel Ventura 11:41 AM - 5 February, 2013
thats scratch live :-D
DJ Remy USA 12:33 PM - 6 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Crash when insert cd into computer and in Hid mode the cdjs skip

who uses CDs anyways its all about controllers and button mashing
blackavenger 12:57 PM - 6 February, 2013
Quote:
and in Hid mode the cdjs skip..................its all about controllers and button mashing

Ummm???
Laz219 1:30 PM - 6 February, 2013
In retrospect, it seems like the OP is trolling. If that is the case.
Working well
JD 2:21 PM - 6 February, 2013
I switch back and forth every couple of months... Serato is great for straight mixing with an occasional effect or sample thrown in... Traktor is great for its sound quality, effects and customization. The one thing I like better in Serato is its simplicity, its search feature is faster and precise but if you have your crates in check, then it wont matter.
JD 2:34 PM - 6 February, 2013
But at the end of the day, people just wanna hear good music without the DJ f'ing around with it..
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:05 PM - 6 February, 2013
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:05 PM - 6 February, 2013
^perfect traktor controller
DJ Quartz 3:21 PM - 6 February, 2013
I was on Traktor after the Pre-Final Scratch Days, FS2, Traktor DJ Studio, Traktor Scratch (After the Scratchamp 2 was ditched), Traktor Scratch Pro, Traktor Scratch Pro 2

I switched to Scratch Live January 2012 testing with an SL3 and then moved to the 57SL after my 7 testing period.

I haven't looked back since, even though they have released new versions and hardware.

Especially since I wanted to start doing visualizations and Traktor didn't have the capability to do so.

Now just to switch to a Macbook Pro for good video performance.
DJ Quartz 3:48 PM - 6 February, 2013
Meant 7 day testing period.
Dj Nyce 4:16 PM - 6 February, 2013
final scratch...wow. that shit sucked balls. i had the round scratch amp and that big ass one.
DJ Quartz 5:54 PM - 6 February, 2013
Yep had both
DJ Quartz 5:55 PM - 6 February, 2013
Traktor Final Scratch was actually pretty good at time after they fixed the slow start issue when scratching.

I think they patched it in version 1.1.4, ha ha ha

Gosh that's horrible to even remember that.
DJ Quartz 6:02 PM - 6 February, 2013
I was actually going to switch to Scratch Live back in 2004 after the Stanton/NI fiasco started to get old.

But the features they had at the time were great.
shamethedj 6:48 PM - 6 February, 2013
Like DJ Quartz I ran Traktor from the start with all the upgrades including the Stanton/NI fiasco when I had to sell my Mac for a Windows machine to keep going. I well never trust them again after that nonsense.

I still have a copy of TSP 2 and give it go now and again but ALWAYS end up frustrated. All the great videos and demos rely on a lot beatgridding and preparation. We do not see all the time and work taken by the DJs using Traktor to display all it's best features. Techno DJ Ritchie Hawtin actually paid one of his crew (Magada) do do alot of his boring prep work.

The lack of a flexible beatgridding / warping facility makes it nearly useless with old funk, hip-hop and stuff ripped off vinyl. Been DJing now for 25 years and the old stuff will always be my most important music no matter what micro genre pops up.

If you want to spend a large part of your life beatgridding and preparing tracks, then knock yourself out. If you want to play your music and enjoy your life then use Serato.

Yes there are a few minor things that could improve (like everything in life), but the package is sound.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:50 PM - 6 February, 2013
Quote:
Like DJ Quartz I ran Traktor from the start with all the upgrades including the Stanton/NI fiasco when I had to sell my Mac for a Windows machine to keep going. I well never trust them again after that nonsense.

I still have a copy of TSP 2 and give it go now and again but ALWAYS end up frustrated. All the great videos and demos rely on a lot beatgridding and preparation. We do not see all the time and work taken by the DJs using Traktor to display all it's best features. Techno DJ Ritchie Hawtin actually paid one of his crew (Magada) do do alot of his boring prep work.

The lack of a flexible beatgridding / warping facility makes it nearly useless with old funk, hip-hop and stuff ripped off vinyl. Been DJing now for 25 years and the old stuff will always be my most important music no matter what micro genre pops up.

If you want to spend a large part of your life beatgridding and preparing tracks, then knock yourself out. If you want to play your music and enjoy your life then use Serato.

Yes there are a few minor things that could improve (like everything in life), but the package is sound.
do they not have auto beatgridding yet or is like ableton where its auto but needs editing?
Dj Nyce 7:18 PM - 6 February, 2013
you don't have to use beat grid at all. beatgrid is only important for beat accurate cue, loops, and sync.

during my current testing i haven't set any grids at all. traktor has been 100% accurate, but i haven't saved anything because i any tracks to the collection (using itunes). i can mix manually without the beatgrids no problem.

same with serato. you can totally ignore the beatgrid.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:19 PM - 6 February, 2013
Quote:
you don't have to use beat grid at all. beatgrid is only important for beat accurate cue, loops, and sync.

during my current testing i haven't set any grids at all. traktor has been 100% accurate, but i haven't saved anything because i any tracks to the collection (using itunes). i can mix manually without the beatgrids no problem.

same with serato. you can totally ignore the beatgrid.

Ya but i enjoy alot of looping in my sets
Dj Nyce 7:26 PM - 6 February, 2013
you can still loop without beatgrid being set or correct. it will just be a manually process to get the in/out 'on beat'.
DJ Reflex 2:42 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
you can still loop without beatgrid being set or correct. it will just be a manually process to get the in/out 'on beat'.

Had to do that back on the Dual CD Decks anyways!
DJ DisGrace 2:46 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Now that required some practice!
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:48 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now that required some practice!

Lol i miss my cmx3000
Laz219 2:59 AM - 8 February, 2013
I actually used one of those not long ago, place was still using them as hire gear and it was all they had left.
Using a rack mount after so long of standalone felt strange. I still enjoyed playing on them but.

I never really thought about all the people that soon will be like "what? you had to manually push In and Out? How did you know when? They didn't have waveforms right?"
I still think manually looping is a lot more accurate,
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:12 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
I actually used one of those not long ago, place was still using them as hire gear and it was all they had left.
Using a rack mount after so long of standalone felt strange. I still enjoyed playing on them but.

I never really thought about all the people that soon will be like "what? you had to manually push In and Out? How did you know when? They didn't have waveforms right?"
I still think manually looping is a lot more accurate,

ironically the 3000 had auto sync...PRE DVS lol
Laz219 3:16 AM - 8 February, 2013
I never even really noticed that button (which is odd considering it's massive)

So all the people bitching about the CDJ-2000 Nexus, should actually be bitching about the CMX-3000.
What is an 'emergency loop'?
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:04 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
I never even really noticed that button (which is odd considering it's massive)

So all the people bitching about the CDJ-2000 Nexus, should actually be bitching about the CMX-3000.
What is an 'emergency loop'?

ya, when i was learning to use them the FIRST words outta the dudes mouth before anything else was "dont ever let me see you using this button" lol

the emergency loop its basically an early version of the auto loop, if your running outta time and havent found a song or next cd you can hit that button and it auto loops the end of the song
Laz219 5:53 AM - 8 February, 2013
That is actually a good feature. The amount of times I have quickly hit a cue point or something because I forgot how short a track was. It's like the flintstones version of it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:56 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
That is actually a good feature. The amount of times I have quickly hit a cue point or something because I forgot how short a track was. It's like the flintstones version of it.

it works well if you have a track with some inst at the end...kinda embarrasin if theres words randomly being looped lol
Lucash21158 2:27 AM - 6 June, 2013
I just recently switched from Traktor scratch pro using Stanton St-150's and a traktor z2 mixer to a really basic DDJ-SX. There's a MAJOR difference between Traktor and Serato DJ that for some reason nobody ever talks about and I think is often misunderstood. Traktor does NOT have a flexible beat grid. I know I know blah blah blah you can set beat grid markets etc etc but if you mix a lot of live or band music (which I do) you just can't sync it up properly with Traktor. Serato DJ has a wonderful flexible beat grid that makes mixing stuff like live funk tracks a breeze. If all you mix is EDM then this is a non issue but if you're trying to tighten up a big variety of music then it's Serato all day in my opinion!
the_black_one 4:28 AM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
I just recently switched from Traktor scratch pro using Stanton St-150's and a traktor z2 mixer to a really basic DDJ-SX. There's a MAJOR difference between Traktor and Serato DJ that for some reason nobody ever talks about and I think is often misunderstood. Traktor does NOT have a flexible beat grid. I know I know blah blah blah you can set beat grid markets etc etc but if you mix a lot of live or band music (which I do) you just can't sync it up properly with Traktor. Serato DJ has a wonderful flexible beat grid that makes mixing stuff like live funk tracks a breeze. If all you mix is EDM then this is a non issue but if you're trying to tighten up a big variety of music then it's Serato all day in my opinion!

so serato dj sync is better????
Mr. Goodkat 7:53 AM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:

just one of the many upsides ssl has over ts2. ts2 is cool, but its still way off.
Daniel Ventura 8:20 AM - 6 June, 2013
many upsides??? Traktor is way better than ssl...there is no point in which ssl is better than Traktor. i switched to ts2 after 8 years with ssl and it is waaaay better. German Software engineerign vs nz ;-) there's a constant move Forward in ts. ssl is a good Vinyl Emulation Software not more or less.
Mr. Goodkat 8:27 AM - 6 June, 2013
maybe all people want is a dvs?
Daniel Ventura 8:39 AM - 6 June, 2013
can't be "all people" ts2 is market leader and has a rock solid dvs System too beside of many other Features like proper hid Integration in cdjs, soundcards in pioneer Mixers, Remix decks etc.
1200LTD 12:38 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
can't be "all people" ts2 is market leader and has a rock solid dvs System too beside of many other Features like proper hid Integration in cdjs, soundcards in pioneer Mixers, Remix decks etc.

Serato - investment wise.. vinyl... box... mixers...

Check your Traktor gear and vinyl on the 2nd hand market... =)

Traktor is always on Sale! why???
Daniel Ventura 12:43 PM - 6 June, 2013
simply because it's cheaper and the market is full with Traktor gear and they release new gear constantly ;-)
Djkom 2:26 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Serato - investment wise.. vinyl... box... mixers...

Check your Traktor gear and vinyl on the 2nd hand market... =)

Traktor is always on Sale! why???

Pioneer gears are in the same case!!! A lot of 2nd market to not tell that is the top one...
2nd market has nothing to do the quality! it's just a matter of reselling price!
If a product is really bad there will be no 2nd market for it ;)

BTW I'm more and more interested by N.I, I have the felling they will be the new first reference/leader in the dj market...Why? because they invest a lot on new stuff, they want to be at each level of dj gears (controllers, mixers, music production, software...and i quite sure they will make a media player soon also) and their products are really well designed...
They just need to change 2 or 3 things (UI, library management..etc) to make serato users moving to traktor then it will be the new big monster!

German quality my friends!!!
jprime 4:40 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:

Nothing but problems with Traktor. Glitchy, buggy, I couldn't use it in a club environment with those risks.
SSL has just been miles more stable for me. Not to mention the handful of other DJs in my area I know who have had the same experience.
jprime 4:41 PM - 6 June, 2013
I am curious though, how you got the sales numbers from both Traktor and Serato to compare and indictae which one was the market leader.
I would think this kind of information would be locked down by each company respectively.
Daniel Ventura 4:50 PM - 6 June, 2013
never had any technical Problems with Traktor or ssl, i'm playing in Clubs nearly every Weekend. i can only speak for Germany, i've good connetcions to 2 big Music stores and all are telling same, Traktor sales are way higher than serato. the only
thing that really sells from serato is the sx. the rest of their products is insignificant. there was a time years ago when ssl sales were good, but that's looong ago :-)
Daniel Ventura 4:52 PM - 6 June, 2013
btw, nearly all DJs in my area are using Traktor and there are no Major stability Problems etc. but you definitely have issues when using serato in hid mode with cdjs :-P
jprime 5:14 PM - 6 June, 2013
So you're only talking about 2 music stores. Man, I'm not trying to troll at all - in fact I really like Traktor features and would love to take it for a spin - but you have to be honest; Data collected from 2 music stored does not constitute a market leader.
I feel it's a stat pulled out of thin air.

Again - I'm not hating, I look forward to the day I can control 2 decks in serato with controller/buttons and 2 decks via DVS - which to me looks like a possibility in Traktor :)
djsmuve415 5:41 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
btw, nearly all DJs in my area are using Traktor

yeah, one very important fact you all need to pay close attention too here - he's from GERMANY! If you put 10 German dudes in a room & then ask them "alright, who in here spins open format"? then stand back & watch amusingly as they all look at each other with befuddled looks. why this thread and discussion continues to drag on is beyond me, cuz its been pretty cut & dry now for some time - USA = mainly open format DJ's. land of the never ending weddings, private events & clubs spinning Kesha to Drake. Overseas = Traktor. sure, the percentages might be changing a bit here & there, but not dramatically yet.
Daniel Ventura 8:18 PM - 6 June, 2013
im writing about open format DJs! in my area the only ones with serato are the rnb/hiphop guys.
jprime 8:47 PM - 6 June, 2013
In my area everyone wears BrandX, therefore BrandX is the global market leader.
Daniel Ventura 9:00 PM - 6 June, 2013
believe it or not ;-) traktor sales are way ahead of serato sales. talk to salesmen/distributors of different (big) music stores in europe for example at the german "musikmesse". you can also talk to technicans in event business. Traktor is the common tool.
DJMark 9:04 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
believe it or not ;-) traktor sales are way ahead of serato sales. talk to salesmen/distributors of different (big) music stores in europe for example at the german "musikmesse". you can also talk to technicans in event business. Traktor is the common tool.

McDonalds' global sales are through the roof, yet their "food" is pure shit.

Anyone relying on "sales" "statistics" as a benchmark of quality is a fucking moron.
Daniel Ventura 9:05 PM - 6 June, 2013
btw i'm NO Traktor fanboy i just decided to Switch to the more innovative tool after 8 years, again: serato is a very good dvs System never got Problems with it, but when it Comes to more it is unusable :-( sad but true.
DJMark 9:18 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
btw i'm NO Traktor fanboy i just decided to Switch to the more innovative tool after 8 years, again: serato is a very good dvs System never got Problems with it, but when it Comes to more it is unusable :-( sad but true.

Traktor had more features than Scratch Live in 2004-2005. Big Fucking Deal already.

Traktor was buggy and glitch-prone (three different laptops, both Mac and Windows...numerous sound cards ranging from moderately-priced to expensive...same results). I keep hearing similar stories to this day.

Native Instruments' "support" sucked then and still sucks. Often complete dishonest denials of well-known (to users) issues.

Native Instruments' user forum sucked then and still sucks (just try having a conversation over there that's a reciprocal version of this one LOL LOL LOL).

Native Instruments' gear is toy-level made-in-China plastic garbage.

Traktor's UI was disorganized and butt-ugly in 2005 and it's even more butt-ugly and disorganized in 2013.

Not Interested.
Mr. Goodkat 9:24 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:

you took that really literally. maybe what(didnt mean all as every person) they want is a dvs system. or one that does video.

i kinda like traktor, but whether the fanboys can admit it or not, its doesnt do that much more. and in some areas it does more things that people dont use. its like a car with seat warmers in a tropical area.
jprime 9:44 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
believe it or not ;-) traktor sales are way ahead of serato sales.

Again, you have no data to back up this statement

Quote:
talk to salesmen/distributors of different (big) music stores in europe for example at the german "musikmesse". you can also talk to technicans in event business. Traktor is the common tool.

i think that would be a great way to collect data to back up your statement! However - I would think you'd need to collect information from distributors worldwide to backup a statement like " ts2 is market leader." Not just in one country.
You've only talked to 2 big music stores. I just don't believe everything I hear, and frankly can't believe that anyone would.

Now... :) again, for all I know Traktor sales may double ssl / sdj product sales. I'm also no die hard fanboi, nor am I trying to instigate some flamewar over it ;). Both are great products...I'm just saying I'm not taking flippant remarks for fact. What I am hearing is strictly your opinion on the subject.
Laz219 11:38 PM - 6 June, 2013
I always figure the people reeling off 'traktor has this, and this, and this' would rarely if ever actually use all those features. Whenever I've seen it used, it's been used just to mix back and forth, maybe with a few FX.
I'd rather a clean interface and simple library management,
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:46 AM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
I always figure the people reeling off 'traktor has this, and this, and this' would rarely if ever actually use all those features. Whenever I've seen it used, it's been used just to mix back and forth, maybe with a few FX.
I'd rather a clean interface and simple library management,

Very true im fasinated by the remix decks but in reality id much rather perfect a remix in ableton snd just play the track
blackavenger 10:50 AM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
Traktor was buggy and glitch-prone (three different laptops, both Mac and Windows...numerous sound cards ranging from moderately-priced to expensive...same results). I keep hearing similar stories to this day.

This is such a moot point these days. If you are still having problems w' either DVS, then you need a better, more capable laptop.
Laz219 10:54 AM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

This is such a moot point these days. If you are still having problems w' either DVS, then you need a better, more capable laptop.

This is what I always used to think when I was running SSL+Windows. People used to always be telling me I was crazy not to have a mac, yet I ran SSL on 4 different laptops and never had a single issue.
Ended up with a mac because my laptop was stolen and I figured insurance may as well replace it with the 'recommended'
blackavenger 11:57 AM - 7 June, 2013
All I know is that SSL, SDJ & Traktor run flawlessly on both of my machines. Can't say the same for ITCH, however. It ran great on the Mac, but on my Win7 machine, it was horrible!
DJ Quartz 2:15 PM - 7 June, 2013
I switched to Serato Scratch Live & Itch from the Traktor platform back in Jan 2012 and it was the right choice.

I was tired of being a tech vs being a DJ and the Serato platform definitely allows me to do this.

SDJ is not fully complete for the NS7 platform so I had to go back to Itch 2.2.2 for various reasons.

HOWEVER, I do like the SDJ gui and it runs very very smooth like Itch 2.2.2. So I'm looking forward to doing the switch in the near future.

What I would really like to see is one platform for vinyl control and controller platform. Switching between two applications is becoming redundant now.

Being able to connect my mixer and turntables and then switching to my NS7FX platform without having to close and launch another application would be BUTTER.
1200LTD 7:20 PM - 7 June, 2013
Traktor - Just click SYNC! =)
ncneo 7:43 AM - 22 June, 2013
i did the switch from Taktor Scratch PRO 2 to SSL 3.

I did it last year because I wanted to have more options of mixing, a nice software and because so many people said: "SSL is the best DJ Software you will find".

... ok so i tested SSL 3 exactly, but after 2 weeks of intense testing I immediately switched back to Traktor.
Traktor has more functions, is not less intuitive and is much more flexible as the dusty ssl software. Sorry to say it so hard, but i can't find any reason for switching from Traktor to SSL.

- More reliable? --> i've been using traktor scratch pro since 2008 and at the moment Traktor Scratch Pro 2 ... i never had a crash
- easy to use? --> all functions of traktor and the GUI are optional! You don't have to use it. The piont that ssl can't offer you some features and traktor is offering you to much is not a positive value
- price --> a SSL 3 box coasts 700€ and you get 3 stereo outputs .... a Native TSP2 Audio 10 coasts 499€ and you get 5 Stereo outputs (and the sound nearly the same ...)
- TimeCode: Is more advanced in Traktor, you will recognize it when making realy slow movements with the vinyl! SSL does not recognize that you are moving the vinyl while Traktor does (is not that important in the daily usage, but its annoying somehow)

Well generally spoken: Traktor has definitly passed Serato since the release of the remix decks ... i can't find a point why someone should switch to sera to.
Daniel Ventura 7:51 AM - 22 June, 2013
Word! So true!
blackavenger 11:11 AM - 22 June, 2013
Quote:
TimeCode: Is more advanced in Traktor, you will recognize it when making realy slow movements with the vinyl! SSL does not recognize that you are moving the vinyl while Traktor does (is not that important in the daily usage, but its annoying somehow)

That's not true at all. Performance Series Vinyl put Serato on top. I have tested both extensively, and I simply do not agree at all!!!

But I have to agree with you on everything else. However, with that said, for the past year I have used Traktor Scratch/Pro 2.6 more than Itch/SDJ or ScratchLIVE, and yet as far as off the cuff mixing is concerned, I still prefer the Serato universe. But Traktor does have WAAAAY MORE options & features than any Serato software product. SeratoDJ is catching up, but not fast enough.
Mr. Goodkat 6:37 PM - 22 June, 2013
you can slowly move the record (or just turn the power off and melt down) in traktor and ssl and tell the time code is better in ts2.
forty 9:53 AM - 23 June, 2013
Quote:
That's not true at all. Performance Series Vinyl put Serato on top. I have tested both extensively, and I simply do not agree at all!!!

Quote:
you can slowly move the record (or just turn the power off and melt down) in traktor and ssl and tell the time code is better in ts2.

Goodkat is correct.

The PSV is better, but it still breaks the audio on extremely slow movements. The Traktor vinyl does NOT do this.

I prefer SSL as well, but the timecode does perform better in Traktor at very slow movements.

I do wonder though if it's the timecode frequency or purely how the software interprets it. I'm not a coder by any means, but I would assume there has to be a defined point where the software itself won't interpret the timecode. So say it's moving really slowly and the pitch of the timecode frequency is at 30Hz, perhaps SSL ignores anything under 40Hz where Traktor will keep tracking the signal down to 20Hz.

These numbers are purely hypothetical, but it is something to consider in regard to how each software reacts to the timecode.
ral 12:46 PM - 23 June, 2013
i have traktor pro 2.5 and i just open it once
DJ JLM 1:29 PM - 17 July, 2013
I switched from the tractor audio 6 to the sl1 because of the ease of use serato provided and the reliability, i was getting alot of audio dropout with a macbook pro and the a6 and also the bpm was off 90 % of the time for me, maybe this is unusual but i did not enjoy djing with traktor, i switched and am not looking back!
Mr. Goodkat 8:18 PM - 17 July, 2013
ever thought that ssl timecode is never gonna get better because the controllers are coming? even though i still love ssl in usablility, every time i use one or the other and i just turn off the deck, letting it melt down, i just think, why does TS2 sound so much better. maybe it doesnt make any difference, but it sure seems like it would.
DJ JLM 8:24 PM - 17 July, 2013
goodkat, put a traktor vinyl and use it with serato and youll see why, theres alot more points on the vinyl, but honestly if thats the only reason you find to switch, don't! i switches FROM traktor and am loving serato
DJ Quartz 8:25 PM - 17 July, 2013
It's a combination of setting up, calibrating.

You can get the same performance on the Serato side as well. Especially since the +6b increase on the performance pressings.
DJ Quartz 8:26 PM - 17 July, 2013
+6db i meant.
DJ JLM 8:27 PM - 17 July, 2013
Havent tried the performance pressings, are they worth the extra money?
DJ Quartz 8:34 PM - 17 July, 2013
For me personally, yes and recently new control records have the new 2.5 noisemap as well now.
DJ JLM 8:37 PM - 17 July, 2013
alright, Ill be trying them out in the near future then, because my sets incorporate alot of scratching.
Mr. Goodkat 11:02 PM - 17 July, 2013
is noise map new in 2.5?
blackavenger 12:42 AM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
is noise map new in 2.5?

I don't think so. I thought they've been using that technology for a while now.
BIGG BEAR 12:47 AM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
bpm was off 90 % of the time for me,

This is very strange never heard that before!
Can you go into more detail please?
DJMark 1:33 AM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
is noise map new in 2.5?

The noisemap is the same on the CV 2.5 records (and the "performance" records), the vinyl was just mastered louder.

Biggest improvement I see is more immunity to bass and other things vibrating/jolting the turntables.
Rdent 3:28 AM - 18 July, 2013
all i got from this... and specially with serato's latest release is......................................

they are almost up to date with the rest of the dj software companies. i think serato finally realize that yes time code is their main market....... but there is more money in the controller, fully digital dj market (after all companies are all about the money). so i hope this serato dj and scratch merger happens sooner then what i am expecting. that be pretty cool but above all Logical.
DJ JLM 7:04 AM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
bpm was off 90 % of the time for me,

This is very strange never heard that before!
Can you go into more detail please?

sure, when analyzing the tracks most of them would show up as doubles or half of the bpm provided by franchise. Some were completely wrong all together and the beatgrids were entirely wrong as well, i feel that had something to do with the bpm errors. If the bpm wasn't wrong it was extremely accurate. Do you use traktor? Have you ever had it say 140 bpm in the library and when you load it on the deck it say 70? Thats how almost every track was showing after re analyzing multiple times, other than that ive also gotten ridiculous bpm's for no apparent that didnt actually correct themselves when loaded into a deck!
DJ Quartz 5:50 PM - 18 July, 2013
^ You have to be careful when you're setting the BPM range.
DJ Quartz 5:51 PM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
The noisemap is the same on the CV 2.5 records (and the "performance" records), the vinyl was just mastered louder.

Biggest improvement I see is more immunity to bass and other things vibrating/jolting the turntables.

This as well

Not to mention the they slide and feel really good to scratch, beat juggle, rapid spins, etc.

They just feel really good I find also.
DJ JLM 6:23 PM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
^ You have to be careful when you're setting the BPM range.

Yeah thats what i hated doing. but even when i did there would be times its wrong, Traktor seems to hate hiphop lol never got a house track wrong lol.
XCAKID 7:40 PM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
You know, I believe that you use what works for you,

^^^ THIS

I use Scratch Live with my TT's. Let's face it nothing beats SSL for vinyl timecodes and yes I have tried Traktor. It was my first software.

For Broadcasting, MIDI controller, CDJs and Videos I use Virtual DJ. VDJ is native to 99% of MIDI/HID dj device out there. Having broadcast client (which Traktor has also) built in is really helpful if you broadcast to radio or internet streams. And I have not found anything that beats what VDJ offers when it comes to video. ME is close.
BIGG BEAR 10:06 PM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
sure, when analyzing the tracks most of them would show up as doubles or half of the bpm provided by franchise. Some were completely wrong all together and the beatgrids were entirely wrong as well, i feel that had something to do with the bpm errors. If the bpm wasn't wrong it was extremely accurate. Do you use traktor? Have you ever had it say 140 bpm in the library and when you load it on the deck it say 70? Thats how almost every track was showing after re analyzing multiple times, other than that ive also gotten ridiculous bpm's for no apparent that didnt actually correct themselves when loaded into a deck!

If it reports 140 bpm when it should be 70 you just click the buton which halves the bpm and if its the other way round the button that doubles the bpm.
Sometimes when you analize lots of tracks at once it can report some unusual bpm results,if you then load the track into a deck and have the grid box selected just click the auto (grid) box in the right corner this should fix it.
Also under file managment in the preferences set the mim max bpm range for beatgridding to 70-190 bpm that should get you decent results for all types of music,although if you just play tunes between say 70-100 bpm just set that as the range.
I think the thing with traktor is that initially it looks simple just decks and a browser but when you start using it there is a bit of a learning curve as you work out how traktor likes to do things.
DJ JLM 12:23 AM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
If it reports 140 bpm when it should be 70 you just click the buton which halves the bpm and if its the other way round the button that doubles the bpm.
Sometimes when you analize lots of tracks at once it can report some unusual bpm results,if you then load the track into a deck and have the grid box selected just click the auto (grid) box in the right corner this should fix it.
Also under file managment in the preferences set the mim max bpm range for beatgridding to 70-190 bpm that should get you decent results for all types of music,although if you just play tunes between say 70-100 bpm just set that as the range.
I think the thing with traktor is that initially it looks simple just decks and a browser but when you start using it there is a bit of a learning curve as you work out how traktor likes to do things.

You start to get used to it after a while without a doubt but even then if you want the features that most people switch from serato to traktor for your going to be spending a lot of time messing with settings. And while i'm on settings that menu is the hardest thing to search through, i would spend like 3 minutes looking for 1 little specific option, I didn't take advantage of all the features in Traktor but really like the simplicity of serato! Never could find out where to load drops like the sp-6 in serato. And I didn't know there was a double and halving button, ill look into that while i still have traktor!
DJ JLM 12:23 AM - 19 July, 2013
And I had My range set to 70-190 i believe.
MusicMeister 6:04 AM - 20 July, 2013
You know, I used to get into these debates and go back and forth but the more software I used the more I realized that there wasn't any of them that are perfect.

I still use multiple software depending on what I'm doing at the time... and not all of it's DJ software either.

I've used everything from dJay on an iPad to midi controllers from multiple manufacturers, to cd players, media players, and yes, even turntables. I've also used multiple setups with various mixes of these are well.

In the end, it's not the 'tools' that make the mix great - it's the talent.

I just want great stable tools that have the features I need at the time... and everything has some sort of limitation.

But here's what I do know... I really like the remix decks in Traktor. I'm still looking for a DJ software package that allows me to use beat markers and warp tracks on the fly or play them back unwarped like Torq did. :) (Mixmeister Fusion also did this, but it's dying out faster than Torq! - Fusion won't work OS X after 10.6).

I've been using Cross for video and I've been real happy with it for the basics, but it's not as feature rich as Motion Dive.tokyo but MDT is all but dead as well, also not working after 10.6, but the drivers aren't available for the controller after Windows XP either.

I'm still waiting for my interface to show and get up to speed on Serato's latest features but there are multiple products because not every product is 'perfect' for every person.

That being said, Traktor is pretty nice but it does take some getting used to since the work flow can be a little unusual at first...
MusicMeister 6:11 AM - 20 July, 2013
But in all honesty, the biggest issue in moving software means re analyzing the tracks and setting up cue points all over again. I wouldn't consider this a small undertaking for a typical working DJ with even a moderately sized library.

However, you can sync that information between Traktor DJ on the iPad and Traktor on the computer so there is some flexibility in when and where you analyze tracks. It's similar to how RekordBox works with the Pioneer CDJ2000 Nexus setup only it uses Dropbox to pass the info back and forth.

There are some great things happening in the industry in both software and hardware.... :)
Mr. Goodkat 9:13 AM - 20 July, 2013
traktor sounds really good out of the pioneer 900.
Daniel Ventura 2:36 PM - 20 July, 2013
agree, especially over the spdif Outs, ich can drive 1,5ms Overall latency in Traktor with both cdjs connected on a core2duo :-) really love this setup
Daniel Ventura 2:40 PM - 20 July, 2013
and WITHOUT skipping like in crappy serato :-P
DJ JLM 2:41 PM - 20 July, 2013
1.5 ms is your software latency not overall
Daniel Ventura 5:01 PM - 20 July, 2013
Traktor says 1,5ms Overall latency

Processing 1,5 - Output 0,0 - Overall 1,5

it runs on the lowest choosable latency on pioneers asio Setup.
SAYEH* 9:30 PM - 22 July, 2013
Has anyone taken a look at the Serato Remote yet? It seems like it would answer the prayers of most SSL users (with the exception of lag and interface issues). I use it with a Vestax controller (b/c I'm a starving college student) but I saw it used at a rave over the weekend with SSL, and it was pretty sweet to say the least.
iLLaNOiZe 6:51 AM - 24 September, 2013
I have recently switch from Traktor to Serato. I never thought I would ever do but I did. I wanted to test Serato because before that I was totally biased towards Traktor. I have the Traktor audio 10 blah blah blah and for a long time I still never could just become comfortable with the system and I have owned it since just after they upgraded the audio interfaces from the audio 8 to audio 10. Don't get me wrong its a great system but I have always felt that Traktor is more geared toward house music instead of hip hop not discrediting that it is can handle it but in my experience it was kinda ehh. I finally got the funds to buy the SL4 to start my own tests and review process and Serato just pulled ahead. I know Traktor has sync and don't get me twisted I have an extensive real vinyl collection but I started to use that damn sync button and just totally relied on it but once I got on Serato it got me going again having to beat match and got me more involved with djing again.
They are both respectable pieces of software but Serato stole my heart. The only thing that I would say Traktor has Serato beat is on their FX section. I'm telling you it is ridiculous! There was only one thing that killed it for me as far as FX go when it comes to Traktor and it's it delay. No matter what I tried I could never turn it on and let the tail fade out. It would just keep going and going and that would irritate the hell out of me. Yes I could hit the off button but then the tail would end rather quickly and not have that smoothness that I think is pleasant for both the DJ and the audience. I would have liked the tail to fade out the same as if it were a Pioneer DJM-700-900 mixer and not have to keep pushing nobs or hitting buttons to acheive that smoothness. But that still leads back to me feeling that Traktor is geared toward EDM DJ's not that I have anything against EDM music, hell I'm from the mecca of house music, but who the hell is going to use a lot of those FX in a hip hop set? Well...... maybe I really would not know.
All I can say is before you buy make sure you can find a way to test them out. I know it is becoming harder and harder to find places to be able to test things out before you buy and I really dislike it but it is what it is. I am currently in the market to buy some new turn tables. Yes I know Technics are the best and I do own a pair however I am into turntablism and for me I would like a large pitch range. I have a lot of Scratch Science vinyl and they cut them at a high speed so Technics pitch range is not sufficient. Right now I am looking at the Stanton STR-150 and the Vestax PDX 3000 MK2 and it's hard form me because I want a hands on feel before I make a purchase that large! I called my local guitar center and they don't have those turn tables on display for use. Any feedback would be helpful. Peace, Practice, and Enjoy
nik39 7:02 AM - 24 September, 2013
Quote:
Traktor says 1,5ms Overall latency

Processing 1,5 - Output 0,0 - Overall 1,5

it runs on the lowest choosable latency on pioneers asio Setup.

BS.

Even with DVS they claimed to have 1.5ms. I have measured it. 14ms with TSP 2.something.
Niro 10:04 AM - 24 September, 2013
Nik, are you saying I should not believe everything I read. Please don't let it be.
nik39 11:44 AM - 24 September, 2013
It depends. You can always believe me. For real! Believe me!
Asu 4:47 PM - 1 October, 2013
I Switched from traktor to serato because of video and Serato generally being a smooth operator lol....with Serato DJ...it's even better/more features+more of a standard in Clubs here in the US
crumbla146 4:27 PM - 25 November, 2013
hi looking at either a traktor audio 8 or serato sl3, both 2nd hand/ 275. so its one or the other. looking to mix dnb mostly, but other genres too. WHICH ONE IS BETTER! any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:34 PM - 25 November, 2013
Quote:
hi looking at either a traktor audio 8 or serato sl3, both 2nd hand/ 275. so its one or the other. looking to mix dnb mostly, but other genres too. WHICH ONE IS BETTER! any help would be greatly appreciated!

If your into dnb you could probably just buy a rock tumbler for like $25 or so
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:35 PM - 25 November, 2013
crumbla146 4:37 PM - 25 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

If your into dnb you could probably just buy a rock tumbler for like $25 or so

thanks for that advice! but seriously will one be better than the other?
blackavenger 5:13 PM - 25 November, 2013
It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to mix, then the SL3 is sufficient. If you think you want to get into Ableton Live-esque clip launching, then you might want to go with Traktor.

The only person who can answer this question is you. Watch some videos on Youtube. Hype uses ScratchLIVE, and Andy C. Uses Traktor.....you following the logic?
Asu 10:05 PM - 26 November, 2013
Traktor is good but Serato is just amazing...responds a touch faster than traktor...i have an easier time with Serato...but that's just me...i switched from Traktor to Serato and i'm honestly happier
dj_soo 12:44 AM - 27 November, 2013
Quote:

do you want to use traktor or serato?
djrockwell 5:15 AM - 21 December, 2013
here is my story

My first mixer was the ttm57. After about a year it I got tired of the poor midi capabilities and traded for a traktor z2. Traktor was hard to learn at first, without a beat grid. For the first time I was forced to use my ears to adjust my mix. I improved...slowly, with that good old serato beat grid always in the back of my mind. Eventually I broke down and bought a rane sl2. Here's the twist: I hated it! I certainly did not expect this but, I have performed extensive side by side comparisons and Traktor definitely produces a much better sound BY FAR. Better scratching also! If you don't believe me play on traktor for a year and try to switch back, then let me know what you think. But lets face it, serato is pretty much running the show around the U.S. Honestly, I'm a huge fan of both RANE and Native instruments hardware. But I would prefer the latter.
the_black_one 6:28 AM - 21 December, 2013
Quote:
here is my story

My first mixer was the ttm57. After about a year it I got tired of the poor midi capabilities and traded for a traktor z2. Traktor was hard to learn at first, without a beat grid. For the first time I was forced to use my ears to adjust my mix. I improved...slowly, with that good old serato beat grid always in the back of my mind. Eventually I broke down and bought a rane sl2. Here's the twist: I hated it! I certainly did not expect this but, I have performed extensive side by side comparisons and Traktor definitely produces a much better sound BY FAR. Better scratching also! If you don't believe me play on traktor for a year and try to switch back, then let me know what you think. But lets face it, serato is pretty much running the show around the U.S. Honestly, I'm a huge fan of both RANE and Native instruments hardware. But I would prefer the latter.

cool story bro

NM NH
Mr. Goodkat 9:59 AM - 21 December, 2013
Quote:
here is my story

always thought traktor made you 'dj' by ear more than traktor. The sound thing is subjective, traktor is a little sweeter to my ear (eq'ed), but it does seem like ssl to me is more like a good studio monitor, very flat which can be eq'ed by the mixer, like it should be. that sweetness in traktor can lead to some tracks sounding too hott, especially with some of these songs. And using the limiter in ts2 flattened my sound so much, a club owner asked why the bass sounded funny.

Also think you are right about the time code being tighter. just turn off the power on ssl and ts2, its ovbious. Still, i dont think it overly affects performance overall, because ive seen people do crazy things on both and they sounded fine on either system. NI does have the edge in the hardware and own brand solutions hardware controller. I still use an x1(think its the best controller for ssl personally), and thought about getting that Pioneer controller. As cool as it looks, its just way too bulky, but at least its a step in the right direction in being aimed directly at at Serato product.

was hoping sdj would get close to feel/look of ssl or technical and efx of traktor. really didnt get there at 1.6, maybe in a few years, but not really even a contest right now.
Mr. Goodkat 10:00 AM - 21 December, 2013
''always thought traktor made you 'dj' by ear more than ssl.''
Mr. Goodkat 10:02 AM - 21 December, 2013
''always thought traktor made you 'dj' by ear more than ssl.''
gfella 5:53 PM - 21 December, 2013
Quote:
For the first time I was forced to use my ears to adjust my mix.

No comment.
Quote:

Eventually I broke down and bought a rane sl2. Here's the twist: I hated it! I certainly did not expect this but, I have performed extensive side by side comparisons and Traktor definitely produces a much better sound BY FAR. Better scratching also! If you don't believe me play on traktor for a year and try to switch back, then let me know what you think. .

Had a Z2, and while this mixer was a downgrade for me( not including the hardware faults and bugs), coming from a 909 and 56, it sounded pretty good like most N.I. cards.
But prefered the sl2 with my Rane 56, sounded better to me.
The Rane 61/62 also sounds better than the Z2, especially on big systems, but it's apples and oranges and a big price difference.

Also when you connect your sl2 to the z2 you add latency and extra A/D D/A conversions which can degrade the sound.
Traktor vinyl was a bit better for scratching but Serato released the performance series which are on par if not better, just try it.
I still have traktor with the audio 8, x1 and f1 but I hardly use it, just like the rane 62 better.
But I'm Rane biased;)
djrockwell 7:57 AM - 22 December, 2013
Quote:
Traktor vinyl was a bit better for scratching but Serato released the performance series which are on par if not better, just try it.)

getting lym cv 2.5 vinyl for Christmas! i hope you're right but If EQ alone can get me the traktor sound i certainly need a lesson
djrockwell 8:10 AM - 22 December, 2013
Quote:
Also when you connect your sl2 to the z2 you add latency and extra A/D D/A conversions which can degrade the sound.)

I'll be borrowing a 57 (happy medium?) to test this theory
gfella 12:47 PM - 22 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Also when you connect your sl2 to the z2 you add latency and extra A/D D/A conversions which can degrade the sound.)

I'll be borrowing a 57 (happy medium?) to test this theory

If you connect the sl2 to a 57 you add latency and extra A/D D/A too since this mixer is digital.
You need a analog mixer for best results with a standalone box, or use a mixer with a soundcard build in it.
Never played on a 57 so I don't know how it sounds, maybe the z2 sounds better, can't comment on that.
When you get the performance series you may have too change the sensivity of your phono cards in the setup panel.
Asu 1:27 PM - 22 December, 2013
57s issues maybe related to the fact that it's sound card was only 16 bits deep @ 41kHz.

NI sound cards have been USB 2.0,24-bit, 48 kHz for a long time.

This may have influenced Rane towards impring the tech in the old mixers and SL1

Now days,i can't really tell a difference with a good sound system and all this new gear :-)
BIGG BEAR 4:13 PM - 22 December, 2013
So I recently started to use timecode with traktor which I have used for ages.
Really enjoying using my technics again.
Using cdjs in relative mode with timecode cds I was quite suprised to find that the cue button still works and I can use the hotcues and loops on the actual cd player as well,do these features still work in serato in rel mode?
DJ Irv 6:05 PM - 22 December, 2013
Tracking on Traktor scratch is better than SL even if you have SL timecode 2.0 vinyl. I've tested this out in clubs. The louder SL 2.0 vinyl helps but i think SL just interprets bass as timecode and the new vinyl doesn't help the drifting when the needle is sitting idle on a stopped record in a big club. Again, i tried this last night. Traktor timecode just uses higher frequencies so bass vibrations are less of a problem although there is drawback to this like fast cuts are harder to track but, I have not seen this in practice. Both work very well though and my SL 2.0 vinyl was improvement.

The Z2 sounds way way way better than my 57SL but, that is not a fair comparison. The 57SL was made 8 years ago and the Z2 is new technology. My 57SL still works as well as the day I bought it and that is a testament to Rane quality. I have yet to use a SixtyOne or SixtyTwo. The specs on the DAC's for the Sixty series sound amazing. I need to play with it at my regular spot to be able to compare it but, I don't doubt it sounds good.

Now, Traktor takes getting a lot of getting use to. Where ScratchLive you can learn very easily. It's a preference thing for everyone and I respect people who use either.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:30 PM - 22 December, 2013
Quote:
Using cdjs in relative mode with timecode cds I was quite suprised to find that the cue button still works and I can use the hotcues and loops on the actual cd player as well,do these features still work in serato in rel mode?

VDJ has this to but they call it "Smart Relative". So if I hit my cue button the track starts over or if I start the timecode over on the cdj the track returns to the beginning where as with Serato I would have to have a cue point in order to start over cause even if I started the timecode over the track would just start from where it was.

But yes cue points and loops work in REL mode with Serato, just wish the track would start over when I started the timecode from the beginning like VDJ does.
gp1182 4:46 AM - 30 December, 2013
Well, I am not attempting a switch from Traktor to Serato, as I have used Traktor for years and have no complaints.

So which do I prefer?
well I took my laptop to a store and connected to the new pioneer ddj whatever you call it (the one with four decks).

In my opinion, I would rather rock Traktor with my S4 then Serato with that Pionner.
You cannot do with Serato, the things that you can do with Traktor. Not even close!

Reason 2: all that fussiness about instability with Traktor...Well!, I have used Traktor over and over and I have yet to experience all these instability issues people keep complaining about.

Reason 3: Traktor isn't hard to learn as people portray it to be. People are just used to things working at the snap of a finger.

Nonetheless, since club owners get weird when it comes to touching their main set up, and since I have never ever even looked at Serato, I figure, and since it was on sale for 50% off I figure, well! let me try this Serato DJ and experience why everyone keeps saying Serato is better than Traktor.
And so I reached a few problems...

problem one: I have a Traktor S4

problem two: I am not in a mood to invest 1000 dollars in a controller.

problem three: I will not sell my S4 to buy some other crap just to use Serato.

So my solutions are these.

Solution one: Get the S4 to fully control Serato.

Solution two: Sell Traktor S4 and get some other controller.

Solution three: Find a person to trade my Traktor S4 with their controller.

Solution four: Stick with my Traktor set up and give away the Serato Dj.

Quite honestly, Serato and Traktor are both excellent. One just does more effects and little gadgets then the other. The Truth relies on who is a real Dj and who is a fake wanna be DJ.

BTW, is there any way to fully control Serato with a Traktor S4???
There must be a way.
dj_soo 5:46 AM - 30 December, 2013
Quote:

no, but you can control traktor with serato controllers.
Asu 8:25 PM - 30 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

no, but you can control traktor with serato controllers.

traktor is king when it comes to effects no doubt...Serato is more fluid,Club Standard in much of the world,better library management & ability to do Video is huge now days either with Serato Video or Mix Emergency.

Love Traktor too because it's cheaper to just go out and mix but i switched because of the all in one Solution that is Serato.
BIGG BEAR 12:18 AM - 29 January, 2015
Old thread becomes relevant again.NI seem to be going through a phase of pissing off their own customers so I wonder what your opinions are now.
How good or bad do you rate serato dj?
Is there a way to use it with a small form controller for small gigs the same as say traktor with an x1.
In order to have the ability to use both a controller and or timecode what would the outlay be?
Anyone using it with both timecode sometime and controller the other time?
Any major bugs or stability issues?
blackavenger 2:54 AM - 29 January, 2015
This is the answer to all of your questions, Bigg Bear......

www.akaipro.com
Asu 1:42 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
Old thread becomes relevant again.NI seem to be going through a phase of pissing off their own customers so I wonder what your opinions are now.

yeah i saw that coming years ago when i switched...Serato fulfills all kinds of needs
blackavenger 2:01 PM - 29 January, 2015
I still like, and still use the F1s w' Traktor's Remix Decks.........Serato haven't gotten that right yet. Though, I do look forward to the day when the SP-6 can compete w' the Remix Decks.
Mr. Goodkat 8:28 PM - 29 January, 2015
flac art support, remix decks
blackavenger 9:20 PM - 29 January, 2015
Haha, you're so funny, Mr. Goodkat!!
Mr. Goodkat 9:31 PM - 29 January, 2015
:P
Daniel Ventura 9:02 AM - 30 January, 2015
2 years ago i switched from serato to Traktor because of bad implementation on cdjs on ssl/sdj (been on ssl since day first of sl1 release).
Now, since the clubkit was announced and so there is no more need of this sucking external soundcard when using hid mode i'm considerung switching back to serato when it Comes to cdjs (when playing dvs i still use ssl because it's way better than Traktors dvs i think).
I'm still fearing the stability of sdj (never got any Problems in all those years with ssl under Windows) since several reports here.
What i will miss is remapping of hid devices (cdjs) like it is possible in Traktor, but thats not that important for me like using internal soundcards of the devices (mixer or cdjs soundcards with spdif Outs).
gfella 3:31 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
i'm considerung switching back to serato when it Comes to cdjs (when playing dvs i still use ssl because it's way better than Traktors dvs i think).
).

Lol, first you are saying german software is better then new zealand software.
Serato is crappy, and all over the forum saying how much better Traktor is.
Maybe in your case it is, but saying that you want eventually switch back to Serato, might lose you some credabillity after your statements, who is gonna take you serious.
I have SSL from the beginning and TSP since 2007, but you don't see me bad mouthing one and then considering too switch back, how does that look?
Use what you like to use, but do you get my point?
blackavenger 4:58 PM - 30 January, 2015
Yup, I use both as well. However, I still want the sp-6 to operate like the remix decks, because if they do, I can ditch Traktor altogether.
Daniel Ventura 5:24 PM - 30 January, 2015
the thing that made me switch (partially) to Traktor was (is) the really good hid handling of cdjs (free mappable, use of internal soundcards, no skipping bug, etc).
as said, when it comes to dvs i would never play with other software than serato. but since ca 4 years i'll play more on cdjs in hid mode (never had any problem with it with Traktor...but with ssl, fucking external soundcard, skipping bug etc.) so i considered to switch to the better Software (for cdjs).
development of serato has gone foward and now the cdj handling is way better than in ssl and there is the upcoming club kit.
thats nearly all i ever wanted/needed from ssl. ditch the damn external soundcard and the rewiring etc since in all clubs i play are 900nxs Mixers and cdjs with internal soundcards - thats what i need.
Traktor has Chosen to go another way which is not mine, i never liked the ni dj hardware, what i like(d) on Traktor is the openess to suppport the main pro gear from pioneer with a really good hid implementation...that times have gone now (eg lack of Support for cdj900 nxs) and ni seems to support only there own gear with hid.
thats not what i want...so im changing (back) to the software company which fits to my needs and that seems so be serato for the Moment.
nothing special on it, strategies are changing, development goes on and on, and so the users can do their choices.
DJ Irv 7:25 PM - 30 January, 2015
Funny, I think Traktor's DVS is pretty on point. The only really difference between SSL and Traktor's DVS is that Traktor's tends to drift less in loud clubs.
Mr. Goodkat 7:29 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
Funny, I think Traktor's DVS is pretty on point. The only really difference between SSL and Traktor's DVS is that Traktor's tends to drift less in loud clubs.

personally think its tighter and sounds better thats just me
Daniel Ventura 7:33 PM - 30 January, 2015
personally think serato is a Little bit more direct with dvs, more that Vinyl Feeling, hard to explain, but thats my personal opinion. i also think Traktor is sounding a Little better than ssl too but that may have changed with sdj, the pitch n time keylock is just awesome from sdj (but seems to be somehow Little bit Buggy).
gfella 8:22 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:

Serato's noisemap acts just like real vinyl when you touch the turntable you get feedback, in Traktor this does not happen.So in loud environments where the booth is not good isolated Traktor can perform better.
Not really a fan off autocalibration, but I do like the option too view the scopes in the decks, so you can always see in what condition your vinyl is.
gfella 8:36 PM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:

personally think its tighter and sounds better thats just me

Traktor's soundengine is a bit coloured which alot of people like, bit more bottom end and the highs are a bit rolled off when compared to SSL.
N.I. soundcards in general sound good.
Traktor's timecode is pretty tight, but I find the performance series just as good.
Maybe because Traktor vinyl is not as heavy as Serato vinyl it feels tighter?
Mr. Goodkat 11:50 PM - 30 January, 2015
just power down sdj and ts2 with a song on ie melt down. theres def a difference.
gfella 12:30 PM - 1 February, 2015
Yep, on SDJ you will notice the difference in powerdowns and even the brake cuts off fast.
In SSL you can do powerdowns but you need to turn off keylock and use performance vinyl, since the signal on the vinyl is louder which means better tracking, adjusting treshold helps too.
With Traktor vinyl in most cases you don't have to turn off keylock and powerdowns just sound better due the 2khz carrier, which means better tracking at slower speeds.
Laz219 3:05 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Serato's noisemap acts just like real vinyl when you touch the turntable you get feedback, in Traktor this does not happen.So in loud environments where the booth is not good isolated Traktor can perform better.
Not really a fan off autocalibration, but I do like the option too view the scopes in the decks, so you can always see in what condition your vinyl is.

I've rarely used traktor, the few times I have I actually found the live read of the scopes distracting. The idea seems good to me, but I just find scopes are usually more useful for significant problems (ie channel missing) than simple stylus/record wear. Although admittedly, I have loaned fresh CVs to someone more than once who didn't realise how worn their records were, but with a glance at the scopes I could see the issue.
Saying that though, I think if you're going to use DVS professionally, you should learn to recognise scopes by sight and should be able to see/feel CV wear before its a significant problem.
DJ Madd Hatter 12:52 PM - 7 March, 2015
I've been using Serato for close to 10 years now, and I've dealt with occasional crashes since the beginning, But when I'm having to keep a song cued in MixMeister at all times, so I can cover Serato's inevitable crash, it's hard not to consider other options. And after dealing with Serato crashing three times in one night, I simply could not pass on the virtually-new Traktor controller I stumbled across in a local pawn shop not a week later.

Still, this is not an endorsement for Traktor. I'm not picking it up until next week, and I'm fully aware I could be making a strictly lateral movement in stability here . . . or worse.

That's why I'm here: I'm looking for you guys' thoughts, strictly on the issue of stability, particularly as it pertains to library size. I have never seen any hard data on the issue (granted, the fact that I have never looked might play a role in that). Simple logic suggests that search times will increase as the number of files increase, and my experience definitely backs that up. But I would think that, once a track has been found and loaded, I should not see an uptick in performance issues just because the number of tracks NOT being used has increased. But Serato's performance does seem to be directly related to the size of the library from which it is playing. What it boils down to is this: Serato seems to be simply unable to support my music colection.

The question now is: Will Traktor be any better?

Thoughts...?
DJ Irv 1:53 PM - 7 March, 2015
Questions for you?
Music Library size and amount of tracks?
File types?
Serato version?
Operating System?
RAM?

The problems you describe don't really sound typical of ScratchLive but, I do understand that library size can be a problem with Serato DJ. Serato DJ addressed library size in a current release.

I use both Traktor and Serato. I have no problem using either. Why don't you download Traktor and play with the demo before making any rash decisions. Traktor is a little complicated so it's a bit of learning curve.
BIGG BEAR 9:34 PM - 10 May, 2015
Quote:
I still like, and still use the F1s w' Traktor's Remix Decks.........Serato haven't gotten that right yet. Though, I do look forward to the day when the SP-6 can compete w' the Remix Decks.

@blackavenger I've messed about with the remix decks a bit although never with an f1.
For playing house or pop/dance gigs I kind of scratch my head a bit about how it will really enhance a set.
How are you using the remix decks?
blackavenger 2:48 PM - 11 May, 2015
When I play Deep Dubstep/Future Garage, or Drum n' Bass, I like to go into sample routines (sequences) where I add vox, basslines, and drum loops/one shots to break up the monotony of straight mixing. It's fun. Especially when you can build the mixing up to a theme that is represented in the routine.

You're right though, I can't imagine how Remix Decks would be used in Pop/Hip-Hop. But I could see doing the same thing with House. Though, I've never really felt the need for that much power whilst playing House. With House, I find the SP-6 to be more than sufficient. Techno, on the other hand, would utilize the Remix Decks nicely. Techno isn't very dynamic, so beefing up those broken down sounds with samples/loops, etc., is where the Remix Decks really shine.

I hope I answered your question.
BIGG BEAR 7:51 PM - 20 May, 2015
Quote:
When I play Deep Dubstep/Future Garage, or Drum n' Bass, I like to go into sample routines (sequences) where I add vox, basslines, and drum loops/one shots to break up the monotony of straight mixing. It's fun. Especially when you can build the mixing up to a theme that is represented in the routine.

You're right though, I can't imagine how Remix Decks would be used in Pop/Hip-Hop. But I could see doing the same thing with House. Though, I've never really felt the need for that much power whilst playing House. With House, I find the SP-6 to be more than sufficient. Techno, on the other hand, would utilize the Remix Decks nicely. Techno isn't very dynamic, so beefing up those broken down sounds with samples/loops, etc., is where the Remix Decks really shine.

I hope I answered your question.

Yes it does thanks very much.
djrockwell 12:28 AM - 2 June, 2015
I've spent a great deal of time on both sides of the coin. traktors "colored" sound won it out for me but I kept my sl2 and I regularly switch to stay proficient. it all comes down to preference but I do believe that traktors vinyl control is more accurate.
1200LTD 2:38 AM - 20 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
i'm considerung switching back to serato when it Comes to cdjs (when playing dvs i still use ssl because it's way better than Traktors dvs i think).
).

Lol, first you are saying german software is better then new zealand software.
Serato is crappy, and all over the forum saying how much better Traktor is.
Maybe in your case it is, but saying that you want eventually switch back to Serato, might lose you some credabillity after your statements, who is gonna take you serious.
I have SSL from the beginning and TSP since 2007, but you don't see me bad mouthing one and then considering too switch back, how does that look?
Use what you like to use, but do you get my point?

Good Point! 😀😀😀