Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Feature Request: Ability to select multiple crates

billynoah 2:51 PM - 5 January, 2013
As the title says I would find it greatly useful to have the ability to select multiple crates for both searching and for library management. Would like to be able to shift or option-click in order to select multiple crates for repositioning, searching or deletion.

Sometimes I would like to search for a tag across multiple crates, but not my entire library.

Also, wouldn't it be nice to drag, or delete several crates at once? Recently i wanted to delete some old crates - approx 30 of them, and then move another set of them into a sub crate. would have been much easier to do this kind of thing if i could select more than one at a time, especially when i have to scroll down the bottom of a list and back up again many times in a row.
Davemulh 8:38 PM - 10 February, 2013
I would also like to see this in future updates. Any word from serato guys on this?
selkie 3:24 PM - 12 February, 2013
That would be very helpful!

That's why I prefer tags to crates. You can tag a song with multipe tags (i.e. hiphop and club and clean) and you can search for any combination of such tags (i.e. club and clean and extended). And you can tag a song in any tag editor... So if I move my mp3 I don't lose that information.

The obvious problem is that it's a hassle to write those searches, that's why I use codes instead of full tags (h+ instead of hiphop and c+ instead of club) in that same line of thought I have tagged h++ my favorite hiphop and c++ my favorite club selection, so if I search h+ I see both h+ AND h++ songs.

Cheers!
billynoah 1:59 PM - 10 March, 2013
yeah selkie, good idea. i do lots of similar things. but something i also do is keep archives of every live set i ever do as playlists - which is something i recommend btw. makes it easy to build a crate of 1000+ songs that i commonly play out of the 100,000+ in my library. the software's responsiveness is way snappier filtering search results in a 1000 song crate vs a 100,000 song crate. but at the end of the year i now have over 50 sub crates that i' like to be able to move around to re-organize things. too bad i gotta click on them one by one.

i crate is effectively a folder. and imo, there's no good reason to not allow a user to select multiple folders for library maintenance.

as an aside, i'll point out that there are certain kinds of things you simply cannot do with tags. for instance, suppose you'd like to quickly see a list of songs r&b songs between the years 1985 and 1995 and you'd like to sort them by tempo. if this is the way you tend to play, as i do, you need to make crates.
DjGravityTampa 12:39 AM - 21 December, 2013
I second the motion for the ability to select multiple crates.
DJOfFy 11:59 AM - 10 December, 2014
+10000
Dj. SP 12:04 AM - 19 February, 2015
Please this would be a life saver
Kalus 5:18 PM - 4 March, 2015
PUSH! +1
DJKMD25 6:43 PM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
...suppose you'd like to quickly see a list of songs r&b songs between the years 1985 and 1995 and you'd like to sort them by tempo...

+1
Absolutely @billynoah. I play in a similar fashion. Boolean search capability would help with the above scenario too (e.g. R&B AND 1985 OR 1986 OR 1987...) But the ability to select multiple crates/playlists makes it THAT much easier and the added perk of being able to delete/manage them as you described.

Let's go Serato! I can't imagine this would be very difficult to implement. But I could be wrong ;-P
Kittmaster 8:06 PM - 7 May, 2015
Um......ITCH is no longer supported or built for......not sure why your asking for new features.
DJOfFy 4:27 PM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:
Um......ITCH is no longer supported or built for......not sure why your asking for new features.

This feature needs to be also on SDJ
Kittmaster 1:20 AM - 10 May, 2015
Sure, I understand......but ITCH will never ever see it.... just seems like a lot of energy for something that is EOL
BlaxSociety 3:01 AM - 5 June, 2015
+1
kry^p 11:09 PM - 22 December, 2016
+1

As moving crate with sub crate made double copy, selecting all the sub crate with this multiple selection will save my time!
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:37 AM - 23 December, 2016
+1 on ability to select multiple crates for search purposes and moving.
kry^p 9:36 AM - 23 December, 2016
This topic is open since 4 years!
Multi selection is a basic feature of a software...
TomStoffer 8:47 PM - 30 March, 2017
Hey team Serato, first time checking in for a while, suprised to see Team Horus hasnt been on the case for this one yet!
DJwhizkid 9:29 PM - 21 May, 2017
+1 here.
BigBintheAV 2:42 AM - 10 October, 2017
Does anyone know if this was part of the 1.9.9 update? This would be very helpful cleaning up your Crates.
DjSyndic8 8:48 AM - 11 October, 2017
should've post it in this section > Serato Software Feature Suggestions ------>serato.com
L'Phonik 12:47 PM - 4 September, 2018
God please can we have this. Library Crate Management is so so painful. Your product has been around for 15 + years now we need more efficient ways to manage our building crate collections - thanks for the consideration
DjSyndic8 1:19 AM - 5 September, 2018
Quote:
God please can we have this. Library Crate Management is so so painful. Your product has been around for 15 + years now we need more efficient ways to manage our building crate collections - thanks for the consideration

get to know this lil App for the time being... code.google.com
E11World 5:30 AM - 17 October, 2021
This was asked in 2013 and still not implemented. It's almost too basic not have as if devs went out of their way to actually make this not be possible.
Marv Incredible 10:32 AM - 17 October, 2021
Quote:
As the title says I would find it greatly useful to have the ability to select multiple crates for both searching and for library management. Would like to be able to shift or option-click in order to select multiple crates for repositioning, searching or deletion.

Sometimes I would like to search for a tag across multiple crates, but not my entire library.

Also, wouldn't it be nice to drag, or delete several crates at once? Recently i wanted to delete some old crates - approx 30 of them, and then move another set of them into a sub crate. would have been much easier to do this kind of thing if i could select more than one at a time, especially when i have to scroll down the bottom of a list and back up again many times in a row.

+1