DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What is "Ratchet" music?

Djaward 11:15 PM - 27 December, 2012
Confused when people at the club request "RACHET MUSIC"
What the hell is it?
djvtyme85 11:23 PM - 27 December, 2012
anything in the 60 - 72 bpm range made by a "gangster" or "hustler" or "trap" rapper guy that talks about poppin booty
djvtyme85 11:24 PM - 27 December, 2012
example # 1 Watchwww.youtube.com
ced_so_thoed 11:36 PM - 27 December, 2012
ay
it's a new way to say something is ghetto which is the old way of saying that's what black people do.
yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:36 PM - 27 December, 2012
Quote:
ay
it's a new way to say something is ghetto which is the old way of saying that's what black people do.
yep

^this
sixxx 11:40 PM - 27 December, 2012
Racket music is just garbage music with a new name. nm
dj_soo 11:56 PM - 27 December, 2012
I'm assuming it's like "trap" before all the nerdy, suburban, white kids took the name and turned it into the new dubstep.
@WhoDjRu 11:58 PM - 27 December, 2012
Ratchet music is nigga music, Like All Gold Everything, Pop that, usually like Tyga, Cheif Keef..
Hype music that brings out the little nigga everyone has in them lol
@WhoDjRu 12:01 AM - 28 December, 2012
Got some in this mix, Bitches love Sosa.
Watchwww.youtube.com
djatrain@hotmail.com 12:11 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
ay
yep

Damn I must be in the future or missing that we call started calling it Ratchet. Have the people started saying Turnt up yet. Or do I have to wait on another 2 years before mainstream start saying that. LOL

Well I can tell you what not to play. No Top 40 corn ball so called hip hop. Flo Rida, LMFAO or just anything over 100 bpm. Women want to pop their box to 99 bpm.

If you really want to get gully and play some low ball gutter shit, get a couple of cds from cats that you know done dirt, like ran up in a store and murked somebody over 30 bucks or sell work. They will rap about it. You can play it and they will call that Ratchett. Ta daaaaaaaaaa.
the_black_one 12:19 AM - 28 December, 2012
ratchet or whatever you fucks call it sucks!!! thank you and good bye
sixxx 1:05 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Ratchet music is nigga music, Like All Gold Everything, Pop that, usually like Tyga, Cheif Keef..

lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:05 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Racket music is just garbage music with a new name. nm

did you just invent a new genre cause we talkin about RATCHET
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:06 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
I'm assuming it's like "trap" before all the nerdy, suburban, white kids took the name and turned it into the new dubstep.

lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:06 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:

ok RU is now our official source for whats goin on with these damn kids these days
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:07 AM - 28 December, 2012
mabye this will clear it up

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:08 AM - 28 December, 2012
oh and juicy J in bandzll make her dance

Bend it over, Juicy J gon' poke it like wet paint
You say no to ratchet pussy, Juicy J can't
Racks errwhere, they showin' racks, I'm throwing racks
In the V.I.P, rubber on I’m stretching that
Rich niggas tippin', broke niggas lookin'
And it ain't a strip club if they ain't showin' pussy
DJRemixEnt 1:10 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

ok RU is now our official source for whats goin on with these damn kids these days

i almost spit my water out all over my imac... yo Bezzle, if i fuck my computer up...im sendin you the bill
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:11 AM - 28 December, 2012
lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:12 AM - 28 December, 2012
RU = Ninos the second
the_black_one 1:12 AM - 28 December, 2012
LOL @ NIGGA MUSIC!!!
Papa Midnight 1:43 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Is that before or after he steals other peoples mixes again (These forums forget NOTHING), or after he DJs for free?

I guess he is the source for these things...

BTW Bezzle -> serato.com <- :P
DJ Eighty 8 1:58 AM - 28 December, 2012
Playing this music is like using a "controller".....you will conform! Here in Philly it's in HEAVY rotation and I just give the people what they want. I actually like some of the shit cause when your system is right this "ratchet" aka "Nigga Music" goes hard and gets low. It is what it is.....and the Bitches WILL make that shit pop when these tracks come on!
Jairen 2:04 AM - 28 December, 2012
Wow, this is sad...

"Ratchet" music...c'mon now.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:22 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is that before or after he steals other peoples mixes again (These forums forget NOTHING), or after he DJs for free?

oh i didnt forget lol, i just wrote up a how to dj guide for him like 30 minutes ago lol
@WhoDjRu 2:36 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How am I doing now Watchwww.youtube.com
Or are you not going to respond when I took some critique and got better.
ced_so_thoed 2:42 AM - 28 December, 2012
ay
the way I grew up is: Pop, Top 40, Country = white people. Hip hop, rap, r&b = black people. Now of course you have intermixing of the two just as you have black men with white girls but that's what the demographics are. Look at the billboard. Urban billboard is full of mostly black artists. Country billboard is full of white artists. Most people you find in the country are white. Most people you find in urban areas are black or some type of ethnicity other than white. Not saying that blacks can't jam top 40 and whites can jam r&b. But that is how it is drawn up in the simplest way to break it down. Ratchet music is just another term for hip hop that is mostly concerned with dirty dancing with no morals with slow bpm or in some cases fast but the subject is raunchy, one night stand, type of behavior.
yep
FighteRanger 4:22 AM - 28 December, 2012
The music video of "all I want for my birthday is a big ......" is a Good example of ratchet
the_black_one 4:23 AM - 28 December, 2012
instead of ratchet music it should be called rancid music!!!
Papa Midnight 4:39 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to admit this freely: I did not get past the first 13 seconds when I heard that same annoying drop that I heard on your first mixes posted here.

The "Wifey's Favorite DJ" drop, I'll let go - though it doesn't do well standing alone. It would be best with an instrumental behind it. That's just my own personal opinion. The "I love you DJ Ru" one just annoys me. I'm not sure what it is about it - whether it's the voice, the fact that it plays back to back, the tone, the pitch, etc. - but it annoys me to no end. Could not get through it, I am sorry to say.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:43 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to admit this freely: I did not get past the first 13 seconds when I heard that same annoying drop that I heard on your first mixes posted here.

The "Wifey's Favorite DJ" drop, I'll let go - though it doesn't do well standing alone. It would be best with an instrumental behind it. That's just my own personal opinion. The "I love you DJ Ru" one just annoys me. I'm not sure what it is about it - whether it's the voice, the fact that it plays back to back, the tone, the pitch, etc. - but it annoys me to no end. Could not get through it, I am sorry to say.

its the back to back to back that gets annoying
BERTO 4:47 AM - 28 December, 2012
Daktyl 7:00 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i almost spit my water out all over my imac... yo Bezzle, if i fuck my computer up...im sendin you the bill

i just still can't get over the fact that he scratches on the "needle" side of the record....
Papa Midnight 7:12 AM - 28 December, 2012
Still?!
dj poisonous handz 7:16 AM - 28 December, 2012
anything by juicy j
dj poisonous handz 7:18 AM - 28 December, 2012
music that makes you do this Watchwww.youtube.com
the_black_one 7:29 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
music that makes you do this Watchwww.youtube.com

nasty
ta2423 8:41 AM - 28 December, 2012
Shit no wonder why everyone gives me the stank eye when I drop Ratchet music.
I wondered why they wanted their tips back. Watchwww.youtube.com
Jairen 11:11 AM - 28 December, 2012
I'll probably be the minority here, but I'll take this any day over any type of "ratchet" music.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Mr. Goodkat 11:21 AM - 28 December, 2012
this reminds me of a 2 things

couple years ago dude rolls up and says, 'hey man, you know what you need to play? Some swag rap.'

'what?'

'some swag rap?'

'ok'

i assume he was talking about rapping in the pretty boy swag style, which i think travis porter did as well.

then there was the guy in the 90s that asked what i was looking for in a record store and he said, 'is that some weed rap?'

i dont really think ratchet music exists, its just a popular term(ratchet) that got made up in some peoples heads and on the internet. but i could be wrong.
SELECT 1:53 PM - 28 December, 2012
Trap music aka Rachet Music lol. Am I wrong? Love playing it btw.
djatrain@hotmail.com 8:40 PM - 28 December, 2012
Hurry up guys, I am doing a party in the Ratchet part of the Chi tonight. I need all the new Ratchet songs, if they are not Ratchet I don't want them. LOL

What up M BeeeeezzzzzY
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:33 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Hurry up guys, I am doing a party in the Ratchet part of the Chi tonight. I need all the new Ratchet songs, if they are not Ratchet I don't want them. LOL

What up M BeeeeezzzzzY

Lol i gave you a shout out in another thread JUST before seein this lol. Whats good homey, u still holdin down the chi
DJ Ness Nice 9:41 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:

Lil Mouse - Get Smoked
Young Scooter - Columbia
ASAP Ferg - Work
dj poisonous handz 10:16 PM - 28 December, 2012
set starter Watchwww.youtube.com
djatrain@hotmail.com 10:30 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

What up M BeeeeezzzzzY

Lol i gave you a shout out in another thread JUST before seein this lol. Whats good homey, u still holdin down the chi

Chillin hard, trying to get away from playing this new thing they call "Ratchet" music. That crowd fight waaaaayyyy too much for me. Fights then the guns come out. Not trying to get shot or see anyone shot.

I see you might Battle some dj M Beeeeezzzzzyyyy. What's good with that?
And You guys know I was just playing with I need some ratchet music? These are jokes, I kid I kid.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:39 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What up M BeeeeezzzzzY

Chillin hard, trying to get away from playing this new thing they call "Ratchet" music. That crowd fight waaaaayyyy too much for me. Fights then the guns come out. Not trying to get shot or see anyone shot.

I see you might Battle some dj M Beeeeezzzzzyyyy. What's good with that?
And You guys know I was just playing with I need some ratchet music? These are jokes, I kid I kid.

Man everyone wants to battle tha kid lol!
djatrain@hotmail.com 10:40 PM - 28 December, 2012
Is he any good?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:43 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Is he any good?

Hell ya...at trolling lol!
R-Tistic 11:40 PM - 28 December, 2012
Eh....

In L.A., "Trap" and "Ratchet" are different.

You might call a "Bandz' make her dance" "Pop that" and "Birthday song" Ratchet...but you wouldn't call "Mercy" "I'm a boss" or "BMF" Ratchet. "All gold everything" is arguable.

Now, we mainly refer to it as the new L.A., maybe Bay songs, primarily the DJ Mustard, YG, Tyga, Problem type songs. And it's usually in reference to songs that are sexual, and aimed toward making women/strippers dance vs the drug and gun talk.
the_black_one 11:49 PM - 28 December, 2012
lets just call it nigga music..... for real
DJ'Que 12:39 AM - 29 December, 2012
I was just about to say wow no R-Tistic but yeah its what he said. it all can from joe mosses song I do it for the ratchet's. meaning ghetto, skank, females coming to the club in hooker clothing that will dance like there ready to fuck or suck. we call it figurehoa. most club now are banning these song cause 90% of the time it starts a fight.
the_black_one 12:42 AM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:
I was just about to say wow no R-Tistic but yeah its what he said. it all can from joe mosses song I do it for the ratchet's. meaning ghetto, skank, females coming to the club in hooker clothing that will dance like there ready to fuck or suck. we call it figurehoa. most club now are banning these song cause 90% of the time it starts a fight.

like i said...... why do we need to break this shit down so much???? it's nigga music
R-Tistic 1:45 AM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

like i said...... why do we need to break this shit down so much???? it's nigga music

Too generic.

I mean, the whole "Ratchet" term is gettin way too played out and overused anyway. But even in a DJ'n context, it makes sense.

It sounded funny, but first time I really thought about it is when my girl DJ Peazy B was doin a spot...her hyper ass homegirl came to her and said "man, I feel like actin up, play somethin ratchet!" She played "I'm a boss" and the girl came back and said "that ain't ratchet, that's hood!!!" and we both felt like "oh....OHHHHH!!!!!!"

And if you think about it, even going back to Luke's days, there's been a division between three main types of Rap in the club...the hood songs, mainly for the guys and hood guys of course....the "ratchet" songs that were catered to the women/girls dancin and shakin ass, and then the straight commercial songs that won't get love in a hood spot, but cater to both sexes and usually don't have as much staying power. And of course, songs overlap and may go in to two or even all three categories.

So going back to the 90's....the "Hood" songs would be Onyx, Down 4 my N's, No mo play in GA, BMF....the "Ratchet" would be Doo doo brown, Scrub da ground, Get it ready from Jubilee, Rack city, Back dat azz up. The Commercial would be Give it to me (Jay), Nelly "E.I.," Niggas in Paris, Juicy.

Might sound like a lot to list out, but you gotta at least have it in your head and know what will work where and when. Some spots, you shouldn't play a single commercial song, while some, you shouldn't play a single hood or "Ratchet" song.
djcrap 11:09 AM - 29 December, 2012
so would these qualify as Ratchet

1 .Watchwww.youtube.com

2. Watchwww.youtube.com

3 Watchwww.youtube.com
djcrap 11:10 AM - 29 December, 2012
^^^^ lmao i will just stop there for now
the_black_one 6:30 PM - 29 December, 2012
Man.... I had not seen that Luda video.. Them girls are fiyyyyyyya
djatrain@hotmail.com 3:17 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
Man.... I had not seen that Luda video.. Them girls are fiyyyyyyya

Yessssss yesssssss Yesssssssssssss Lawwwwd Speak on it the_black_one

Did you see the chick put her leg over her head and make that box twerk? That is talent right there. LMAO
DJRemixEnt 11:54 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
Did you see the chick put her leg over her head and make that box twerk? That is talent right there. LMAO

Im sure she makes her father very proud...

Father 1: "My daughter is a lawyer"
Father 2: "My daughter is a middle school teacher"
Father 3: "My daughter is a licensed practical nurse"
Father 4: " Well, my daughter works at lollipops and can pussy pop on a handstand"

smdh...lol
Papa Midnight 1:04 AM - 31 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Father 4: " Well, my daughter works at lollipops and can pussy pop on a handstand"

smdh...lol

I'm gonna go ahead and say it because we all know it's true...

You assume the father is there.
Hell, for that matter, you assume she (and/or her mother) knows who the father is...
Watchwww.youtube.com
spicaly 9:18 PM - 1 January, 2013
my buddy posted this, good collection of "ratchet"

www.mixcloud.com
ced_so_thoed 1:36 AM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

smdh...lol

ay
some father's don't know especially if she tells him that she's a "model." And in another argument, you mean to say all the women you ever fucked with were good wholesome ladies? No one night stands? No woman with the crazy sex activities? Yeah.
yep
the_black_one 1:55 AM - 5 January, 2013
i almost shot this guy in the face for wanting me to play "RATCHET GIRL"
DJ Reflex 3:17 AM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:
i almost shot this guy in the face for wanting me to play "RATCHET GIRL"

Dude, that's ratchet!
DJ SPAIR 4:57 AM - 10 January, 2013
TheComposerDudeJB 7:42 AM - 21 January, 2014
And you guys are DJs?? man Ratchet Music originated within the jerk music culture out in Southern Cali, ratchets are what the yung generation were calling yung emales with questionable morals, they used the term so frequently in their songs that the chicks started identifying themselves as ratchets in their own music as well. where some people see being ratchet as negative this generation of kids saw it as a positive thing. Of course i a grammy winning artist like Juicy J uses the term ratchet it goes viral but ratchet music has been popping in Southern Cali for several years. Aren't DJs paid to play music that people like to hear and dance to? I don't like a lot of sub-genres of music but I get paid to deliver a product that my clientel wants...I'm just saying
TheComposerDudeJB 7:52 AM - 21 January, 2014
Trinidad James is not ratchet music thats trap music, Tyga now that's ratchet music, but mind you Tyga was a jerk music artist from Cali that signed to Yung money, Trap music and ratchet music are not the same the Trap is a representation of music made by former or wanna be drug dealers being that a Trap is a Dope house or "TRAP HOUSE" that you're locked in selling dope to customers and trapped in when the "ONES" kick the door in, racthetness deals with the sexual immorality of certain individuals
TheComposerDudeJB 7:55 AM - 21 January, 2014
R-Tistic 3:40 PM - 28 December, 2012
Eh....

In L.A., "Trap" and "Ratchet" are different.

You might call a "Bandz' make her dance" "Pop that" and "Birthday song" Ratchet...but you wouldn't call "Mercy" "I'm a boss" or "BMF" Ratchet. "All gold everything" is arguable.

Now, we mainly refer to it as the new L.A., maybe Bay songs, primarily the DJ Mustard, YG, Tyga, Problem type songs. And it's usually in reference to songs that are sexual, and aimed toward making women/strippers dance vs the drug and gun talk.
Quote· Report· Permalink

Yeah like that kinda sorta
TheComposerDudeJB 8:21 AM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
so would these qualify as Ratchet

1 .Watchwww.youtube.com

2. Watchwww.youtube.com

3 Watchwww.youtube.com

Even though that music is about "bitches" strippers etc.. the style or type o beat isn't ratchet music you would have to know something about that jerk style music and cats like YG, Jazz Lazer, Tayf3rd, Ty$, T Lanes, TeeFlii

1. Watchwww.youtube.com
2. Watchwww.youtube.com
3. Watchwww.youtube.com
4. Watchwww.youtube.com
5. Watchwww.youtube.com
6. Watchwww.youtube.com

Now this is really ratchet music most of these kids put this music out without major distribution or record deals and the have crazy fan bases and turn up every show or function they are at and they mix it up with industry cats as well who in turn borrow their swag their sound and their lingo and terminology but industry cats have allways went to that street element in order to get that raw natural energy and sound and polish it up and make money from it, thats just the way it goes but i your people want to hear this then they have some type of exposure to it give it to'em
HighGrade562 9:48 PM - 21 January, 2014
If you have any respect for Hip Hop you will delete any files that contain "Ratchet" music. If someone requests "Ratchet" music in the club you will tell them you have no idea what that is. Just to be safe you should erase anything on your hard drive with under 75bpm's.
BIGG BEAR 10:46 PM - 21 January, 2014
Is it RATCHET or RAT-SHIT
 6 10:50 PM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
If you have any respect for Hip Hop you will delete any files that contain "Ratchet" music. If someone requests "Ratchet" music in the club you will tell them you have no idea what that is. Just to be safe you should erase anything on your hard drive with under 75bpm's.

+1
MarkOfOdessy 4:42 AM - 22 January, 2014
I seen this and had to give my 2 cents. There's about 3 high schools you can't play anything at but "Ratchet" music so it's really popular these days, but will fade out like anything. Anyways, two must plays are going to be Yike In It - 99% and Booty Me Down - K Stylis.
d:raf 4:55 AM - 22 January, 2014
I blame the 2 Live Crew.