Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Any DDj Sx users regret the purchase?

Davideon 6:27 PM - 27 December, 2012
Im most likely going to buy a ddj-sx when they finally arrive in the UK. But have been going back and forth between it and the S4. Have any of you come from an S4 and regretted it?
DJ Baby Raj 8:17 PM - 27 December, 2012
Hell no and I came from the NS6 and S1. SX is king!!
pdidy 8:44 PM - 27 December, 2012
the only regret you may have is the laptop your using. The right laptop is the Key.
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:22 PM - 27 December, 2012
Hi BBD,

I'll move this to the general discussion area so more people can jump in and help you out :)

Regards
9:22 PM, 27 Dec 2012
Discussion moved to Serato DJ General Discussion
TheGreek 11:13 PM - 27 December, 2012
the only reason to buy an s4, would be better portability. All the other stuff is bs. You can do controllerism on the SX. I been using serato for a long time now, and I am pretty happy with their support and products. If you want a controller that is similar to a djm900+ cdj900 x 4, then this is your answer. If you don't care about build quality, portability is a must, or use 90% of native instruments addons, then spend a lil more money and get the best.

Think of it like this: You want the Audi, or the VW. They both do the same things, but there is something about the Audi that makes you feel happier inside.
saNppa 6:08 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Any DDj Sx users regret the purchase?

I still have NS6, but I'm trying to get along with SX. It has good sides, while software gives me major headaches. I'm trying to deal with it, learn live with it and I sure am waiting for fixes. If I'd knew all the facts before buying... but it's already here. Since I still have some faith in Serato, I'm not selling it.

Quote:
the only reason to buy an s4, would be better portability.

I'm a serato user all the way, but let's face the fact; You can map Traktor, Serato you can't. I've heard, it's coming some day, but today it isn't helping me.
Davideon 10:27 AM - 28 December, 2012
Coming from a backgroiund of 1210s, before moving onto CDJ1000mk2s and Denon DNS5000s (with DJM, Xone and Ecler mixers), would it be strange uaing the S4 (even though it has jogs), or would it be pretty straight forward? Ive used an RMX just to try out digital DJing, and am not a fan at all of having to use shift functions.

One thing I simply can not fathom is these controllers with out Jogs. that to me is just alien.
Jam-Master Jake 10:52 PM - 28 December, 2012
I was the same way until I bought a Twitch. Everything just clicked for me...it's a badass controller. I got tired of it after a year, so I stuck it in the backpack as my backup and bought a DDJ-SX. I DO NOT REGRET BUYING IT. It's an amazing machine...with some flaws, of course. All-in-all, it's the best controller I've yet owned, and I've owned a Vestax VCI-380 (hated it), Numark NS6 (nice, but problematic), NS7FX (bad-ass--just getting old and limited), and Native Instruments S4 (nice, but made of plastic and had some issues/limitations that I couldn't stand).

The DDJ-SX has the 8 performance pads, heavy-duty construction, and large jogs (not very good for spin backs). The S4 has tiny jogs, no pads, only 4 cue-point buttons (it might be possible to trigger all 8 cues off the 4 buttons, but I never figured that out), and it's not built heavy-duty. Nonetheless, the S4 is a very popular controller.

If you can test each one, I recommend doing so. That ought to help you make your decision.
saNppa 10:57 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
Numark NS6 (nice, but problematic)

I'd like to hear more about that.
Jam-Master Jake 11:13 PM - 28 December, 2012
I had THREE defective NS6 units in 6 weeks. The first had the headphone jack fail, the second had the sound card/pre-amp fail (music would play fine and then suddenly the sound would be replaced by a HORRIFIC white-noise screeching that could only be resolved by turning off the unit and turning it back on), and the third one had buttons failing all over the unit and the output meter quit working. That was it. I returned the third one for a complete refund and bought my Twitch. Besides the fact that it's weak (USB powered), it kicks ass and cost less than HALF the cost of an NS6.

I had an NS7FX fail on me too...one of the motors failed and the sound card/pre-amp was giving me trouble (volume would cut in half for no reason and you couldn't get it to come back unless you turned it off and then back on). That's what led me to the NS6.

After FOUR Numark product failures in about 10 weeks, I swore off Numark for almost a year. I finally just picked up an NS7FX on closeout ($800) and I will play with it. If it gives me grief, I'll probably never buy another Numark product again. They make great products...when you get one that's not defective. I know 3 music stores who used to deal Numark products but stopped due to all the defective units they were getting returned (about 50% of the units sold).
djianl 1:56 AM - 29 December, 2012
Yeah... I returned mine!

Going to wait for the Mk-2
djvuuk 2:48 AM - 29 December, 2012
Best controller hands down, and I owned NS7FX (still feel bad I had to let it go), NS6, and Pioneer DDJ-S1.
diezdiaz 4:08 AM - 29 December, 2012
no regrets here
JDforKing 4:46 AM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:
Best controller hands down, and I owned NS7FX (still feel bad I had to let it go), NS6, and Pioneer DDJ-S1.

What makes this controller better than the ns6?
DJ Baby Raj 8:59 AM - 29 December, 2012
The smell.
Jam-Master Jake 12:26 PM - 29 December, 2012
Pads, 8 cue-point buttons (on the pads), better autolooping capabilities, slicer, better control layouts (in my humble opinion), current Serato DJ compatibility NS6 is still several months away), etc. The only thing the NS6 does better than the DDJ-SX--again, in my humble opinion--is the jogs. They are more loose than the SX, and they allow you to do long spin backs. Otherwise, I think the SX trumps the NS6 in just about every way.

BOTH are good units, however. There are many NS6 users out there who will happily remain with their units, and I say good for them. I doubt you'll see anything major come out from Numark this year to replace NS6. We might see an NS8-type concept, but I have my doubts on that. I figure the MPC-DJ will launch sometime next year if Numark decides to press it into production.
Gilbz 1:19 PM - 29 December, 2012
Long time user (7years) of VDJ and using various controllers and mixers.

Just came from the Denon DN-MC6000 using VDJ to the SX using Serato.

Takes some getting use to software and controller wise but I have no regrets.
Works flawlessly and for me it's like going back to using Technic decks as I don't use any of this beatgrid malarky! ;-)
TheGreek 12:31 AM - 30 December, 2012
Just go and buy it man. I spilled jack and coke on mine, and that shit still works! I gotta take it in to fix the buttons (some of them became sticky and dont click right), but everything still works flawless! Pioneer is worth the extra money, as is serato
DJ Baby Raj 4:20 AM - 30 December, 2012
Jack and come! Damn that sucks. My biggest fear!
DJ Baby Raj 4:21 AM - 30 December, 2012
Lol coke*
Dsx2 7:06 AM - 30 December, 2012
im regretting it for one reason

seratos bpm analysis is fucking terrible, i havnt had one song load with correct bpm/beatgrids whilist virtual dj never had this problem
Dave The One 7:25 AM - 30 December, 2012
I absolutely do not regret it. I had an NS6; DDJ SX is definitely much better. I didn't do spinbacks on the NS6 so i could care less about spinbacks on the DDJ SX. Loop rolls are automatic on the DDJ SX no need to use shift button. The slicer kicks ass. The pads beat the cue buttons on the NS6 hands down. Slip mode allows for some great combinations with cue points, scratching and deck stops. Velocity sensitive pads very responsive. Dual deck mode great for scratching and cue point juggling. The jogs are fantastic, I definitely like them better than the NS6 jogs.

Pioneer did a fantastic job!
thephatbuddhist 10:59 AM - 30 December, 2012
I've had my SX now for about a month, came straight from an S4...

SX is soooo much better than the S4 in every way, however Serato DJ is still an inferior product compared to Traktor...

As Dsx2 says, BPM analysis is horrible.... Sampler is a waste of time (could be awesome) and Serato DJ still has too many bugs...

Once NYE's over I'll be going back to Traktor, probably the Z2 with 2 1200's...

Just my experience and thoughts...
salsadj 8:14 PM - 31 December, 2012
Went from the A&H XONE:DX to the NS6 to the SX. No regrets jumping to the SX whatsoever.
DJ Aaron_SA 8:53 PM - 1 January, 2013
Moved from S1 to VCI-380 and back to S1. Now I have the SX...works well. No regrets. Yes, there are bugs but its to be expected. As long as my unit doesn't freeze during a gig, I'm happy. The key is reliability and ease of use.
DJSX 9:27 PM - 1 January, 2013
Moved from Pioneer 1000's MK2 and the transition is just so smooth, first of all, Pioneer are not just some big hyped DJ brand for nothing, the quality you get with them is best to none, I love my DDJSX and it is by far the best controller out there if you want professinal club quality controller, as for Serato DJ, good start, sure there is more improvements to come, first time using Serato for me, I love the simplicity, although a few things here and there need sorting, overall, I LOVE IT
irieproductions 2:00 PM - 2 January, 2013
My only regret with the DDJ-SX is the way they layed out the pitch controls, i have made mistakes sooooo many times haha when trying to nudge the platter and hitting the pitch slider, i hate sooo much this layout but with practice you get used to it im sure and avoid accidents.

I suspected this when i saw the unit the first time but the pros of the unit are so many compared to the cons that i think i can just be more careful and avoid fuck ups.

the only other complaint is that serato still has not fixed the browsing knob to make it expand the crates so this also slows down my workflow having to reach to the trackpad to expand crates. (this will get fixed via a software update so no big deal)

The third thing that annoys me a little bit is that the talkover feature of the unit is just not for rocking the mic all night, this might work for some wedding announcements or shit light that but not for being on the mic all night long. The audio ducks wayyy too much almost to mute when you speak on the mic. If pioneer could provide a way to adjust the amount of -db via a firmware update would be awesome!
Gilbz 2:04 PM - 2 January, 2013
Agree with the Mic talkover, if we can manually adjust this on setting I would use this feature!
DjBoozie 3:31 PM - 2 January, 2013
I like the unit itself but I'm starting to get a little pissed with the flaws in the software.. I do a internet show and last night I notice a few stutters and drop outs in the audio.. which is so frustrating to me.. I decided to delete the program and reinstall it hoping that might fix the problem. It's nice to have the option of either using it with Serato Dj or just regular ole SSL (Plug and play that is). The lay out on the unit is some what of a tight fit but that would just take some getting use to.. Oh and one other feature would be nice.. I have the s1 and I loved the way the cue would automatically switch sides when the track was loaded.. Bringing that would be awesome!!!
DjBoozie 3:47 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:

seratos bpm analysis is fucking terrible, i havnt had one song load with correct bpm/beatgrids whilist virtual dj never had this problem

I would suggest your download SSL analyze your file in it and it would have them set right. The SX reads the same library as SSL
deejdave 11:06 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
I had THREE defective NS6 units in 6 weeks. The first had the headphone jack fail, the second had the sound card/pre-amp fail (music would play fine and then suddenly the sound would be replaced by a HORRIFIC white-noise screeching that could only be resolved by turning off the unit and turning it back on), and the third one had buttons failing all over the unit and the output meter quit working. That was it. I returned the third one for a complete refund and bought my Twitch. Besides the fact that it's weak (USB powered), it kicks ass and cost less than HALF the cost of an NS6.

I had an NS7FX fail on me too...one of the motors failed and the sound card/pre-amp was giving me trouble (volume would cut in half for no reason and you couldn't get it to come back unless you turned it off and then back on). That's what led me to the NS6.

After FOUR Numark product failures in about 10 weeks, I swore off Numark for almost a year. I finally just picked up an NS7FX on closeout ($800) and I will play with it. If it gives me grief, I'll probably never buy another Numark product again. They make great products...when you get one that's not defective. I know 3 music stores who used to deal Numark products but stopped due to all the defective units they were getting returned (about 50% of the units sold).

This has been the case with Numark since the beginning. Numark to me is in the same category as Gemini. I am actually surprised there are some people out there that give Numark a first chance let alone three chances.
deejdave 11:49 PM - 2 January, 2013
As for my personal take on the DDJ-SX........................

Background: Over a 15 year span I.........

Started on 1200's / Rane mixer

Moved to CD Players (American Audio Pro Scratch 2, Numark Axis 8, Denon DN-S1000's, Denon DN-S3500's, CDJ-1000mk3's)

Went to Controllers: Vestax VCI-300, Pioneer DDJ-S1.

Currently I use either CDJ-900's w DJM-800 / 1200's w DJM 800 / or the DDJ-SX.

-I love the DDJ-SX. There are some flaws as I have had the audio dropout issue, The platters are kind of tight for my taste, and a few other small issues but I have 100% confidence that Serato/Pioneer will sort these issues out. I am clearly a Pioneer man but I also have loved Rane products long before Serato.
LaDjkaoz 12:33 AM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

What makes this controller better than the ns6?

is a pioneer... i had a numark midi controller but i was lucky to experience problems while the waranty period, so I got a denonhd2500 work great, but after several years the bottons rip... i when throug 3 midi controlers while my pioneer mixer keeps goind no a single problem.. (the midi dac 1, 3 and denon hd2500 still work but have lil problems)

Nice V7s i was about to go with those. thank god I did wait..
LaDjkaoz 12:44 AM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Agree with the Mic talkover, if we can manually adjust this on setting I would use this feature!

I agree the talk over is abit to agresive on the volumen..
irieproductions 9:34 PM - 3 January, 2013
another thing that could be improved is a slight delay that occurs between holding the jog wheel and releasing it. if you are scratching you need to give it a little push forward or you fall out of beat.
djkrazyleo 11:40 AM - 4 January, 2013
big deal breaker.
damehype 3:05 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
another thing that could be improved is a slight delay that occurs between holding the jog wheel and releasing it. if you are scratching you need to give it a little push forward or you fall out of beat.

New firmware seems to have fixed that for me.
irieproductions 6:41 PM - 4 January, 2013
i have the latest one as well and there's still a noticeable delay when releasing the jog wheel, i have it also at the lowest latency and i don't get any dropouts.
DJ Baby Raj 7:21 PM - 4 January, 2013
Sorry man. I don't have that problem if anything it's the most responsive controller I ever owned.
pdidy 7:26 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Sorry man. I don't have that problem if anything it's the most responsive controller I ever owned.

are you a scratch dj ?
DJ Baby Raj 7:28 PM - 4 January, 2013
Yes.
DJ Baby Raj 7:51 PM - 4 January, 2013
The only issue is this happen twice. During a set the controller would freeze and becomes responsive. The music still plays but the controller won't respond to your touch until you power cycle it.
DJ Baby Raj 7:51 PM - 4 January, 2013
*unresponsive.
Dave The One 8:15 PM - 4 January, 2013
Played mine in excess of 5 hours live; no freezes hardware or software.

All music is on external 7200 rpm USB 3.0 drive; I use it both on USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. Mac Osx and Windows 7. No problems.

So far it's bulletproof playing live.
LaDjkaoz 10:20 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
The only issue is this happen twice. During a set the controller would freeze and becomes responsive. The music still plays but the controller won't respond to your touch until you power cycle it.

YES, In new years eve i was djing for the family and after two hours the software kind of freez but i touch noting and after a few sec it keep working it this this like 3 times over night and olso on the last hour the wave forms played as it was in slow motion no idea why... i was only djing mp3s no video, but then again ididnt care cause i was using this lappy(13inch i5,4Gram) not my dj sistem(21inch,I7 2600k,16Gram nvidia wiresless gtx480 video card)
yes the system still have some bugs that need to be resolve but stil the ddj sx is a good controler... wish i could map it to my old software (pcdjvj)im so used to it...lol
Dave The One 10:23 PM - 4 January, 2013
My HP Envy 14 Sandy Bridge Beats edition 2.2 quad core w 8 gigs ram works great; no freezes
LaDjkaoz 10:35 PM - 4 January, 2013
i laugh when people say if you used serato you got to use an apple laptop.. LOL...
pdidy 11:37 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
i laugh when people say if you used serato you got to use an apple laptop.. LOL...

Anyone who says that is a fool because windows PC's can work great. The only issue with windows pc is there is no standardization like mac. For example, I can tell someone to get a 2011 macbook pro and it will run all versions of serato no questions asked and no need to check specs. This can not be done with windows pc due to variations in brands , hardware, Drivers and millions of different configurations. But if one is willing to do a bit of research and is good with manually configuring pc's they can achieve great results like a Mac.
pdidy 11:40 PM - 4 January, 2013
Back on topic (no windows pc debate)
DavidBuHau 1:05 AM - 5 January, 2013
Making sure your laptop has enough oomph is crucial here. Their "minimum system requirements" are an absolute joke, you will not have a good experience on core2 machine at 2.4... i suggest something with an i5 or better.
MusicDan 4:47 AM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
Making sure your laptop has enough oomph is crucial here. Their "minimum system requirements" are an absolute joke, you will not have a good experience on core2 machine at 2.4... i suggest something with an i5 or better.

Funny, I use a 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of Ram on my MacBook (not pro) and it works GREAT!!!
damehype 8:12 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
i have the latest one as well and there's still a noticeable delay when releasing the jog wheel, i have it also at the lowest latency and i don't get any dropouts.

Maybe your fingers are a bit clammy and sticking to the jog wheel surface. Turn sensitivity down a bit to between 9-10
DeeJayFanatic 2:52 PM - 6 January, 2013
I think my only regret is more with the quality of sound; which I don't believe is any fault from the SX.

This is the best controller I've ever used, but I don't think SDJ has the same sound quality as Scratch Live or even Itch. But maybe it is hardware..don't know.... Would be nice if the SX worked with Itch to do a comparison of Itch vs DJ.
saNppa 7:07 PM - 6 January, 2013
Quote:
Would be nice if the SX worked with Itch to do a comparison of Itch vs DJ.

I'd like that too. Because of functionality. I'm just waiting Serato to bring SDJ to the level with Itch... and beyond. If they want, they can.

Friend of mine who comes fron the world of Traktor just bought SX after one week he was totally fed up with SeratoDJ. Since I have background with Itch and SDJ, I showed explained how and why things happen here. Many issues were ckeared, but he wasn't very happy about SDJ. Let's see will he go with Traktor with SX.
LaDjkaoz 8:26 PM - 6 January, 2013
Hmm i only had used my ddjsx @3felipe gigs and had a few isues. But just like... many dj softeares and controllers eventually all the bugs will be fix and the funcions tune...
Still not regreat it.
Dominic Carter™ 11:25 PM - 8 January, 2013
The Pioneer DDJ-SX wins again...As much as I would prefer a pair of Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus combined with a DJM-900 Nexus, it's really hard to beat the SX for mobile gigs/last minute equipment requirements & general practicing. It's positives outweigh it's negatives. It's a lightweight all in one setup which has inputs/outputs on a professional level. Super versatile piece of DJ equipment.

Optical media is dead. Hence the reason why apple and a lot of other companies are leaning towards not even having that option in their desktop & laptop computers. There will be a lot of people that knock the controller but out of all the ones in question there currently isn't any other product that beats the SX in terms of look & performance. It is the only controller that comes the absolute closest to having what other people call "the real thing". I would love to see USB stick functionality on the next model...as well as rekordbox capability... but knowing Pioneer & most other companies...they never want to have the "ultimate" all in one machine. They have to cater to multiple markets. P.S. I returned my original SX. Bought it again a month later. Thought about returning it again & grabbing CDJs but just can't get myself to do it/justify 6K on something optical media based. But I know I have to eventually because the places I play around the world use CDJs or 1200s... *sigh
StevenWayne 12:15 AM - 9 January, 2013
Quote:

this happened to me two different times. luckily, it was at home while i was breaking the unit in. this would be very scary in a real gig enviroment
DJ Baby Raj 12:33 AM - 9 January, 2013
Update... Had a another 5 hour gig, this time no freezes so it's weird... Ran perfect!
Asu 2:59 AM - 9 January, 2013
Quote:
I've had my SX now for about a month, came straight from an S4...

SX is soooo much better than the S4 in every way, however Serato DJ is still an inferior product compared to Traktor...

As Dsx2 says, BPM analysis is horrible.... Sampler is a waste of time (could be awesome) and Serato DJ still has too many bugs...

Once NYE's over I'll be going back to Traktor, probably the Z2 with 2 1200's...

Just my experience and thoughts...

NO REGRETS AT ALL...

I have both serato & traktor....traktor has some extra tweaks that many of us like but serato has the best library management & i've been blown away by the sound quality of
serato DJ + DDJ SX combo to the point of not bothering to eq the sound...yes thats how good it is...serato still sounds good even offline...used the DDJ-SX + Serato new years eve and many that know me said that was my best Djing in the last few years...the SX takes you beyond DJing into performance if u wish it :-)
Asu 3:05 AM - 9 January, 2013
Quote:
Update... Had a another 5 hour gig, this time no freezes so it's weird... Ran perfect!

you know what my first night out with the SX at a house party,software did freeze and crash,the files playing weren't corrupt but i did find some other corrupt files in the library...removed them and second time around we did a 7 hour gig newyears eve and no crash...maybe that helped...but serato needs to work on this asap...corrupt files shouldn't crush the software...they should just be prevented from loading in the first place...traktor has this down :-0
Dave The One 3:29 AM - 9 January, 2013
Quote:
The Pioneer DDJ-SX wins again...As much as I would prefer a pair of Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus combined with a DJM-900 Nexus, it's really hard to beat the SX for mobile gigs/last minute equipment requirements & general practicing. It's positives outweigh it's negatives. It's a lightweight all in one setup which has inputs/outputs on a professional level. Super versatile piece of DJ equipment.

Optical media is dead. Hence the reason why apple and a lot of other companies are leaning towards not even having that option in their desktop & laptop computers. There will be a lot of people that knock the controller but out of all the ones in question there currently isn't any other product that beats the SX in terms of look & performance. It is the only controller that comes the absolute closest to having what other people call "the real thing". I would love to see USB stick functionality on the next model...as well as rekordbox capability... but knowing Pioneer & most other companies...they never want to have the "ultimate" all in one machine. They have to cater to multiple markets. P.S. I returned my original SX. Bought it again a month later. Thought about returning it again & grabbing CDJs but just can't get myself to do it/justify 6K on something optical media based. But I know I have to eventually because the places I play around the world use CDJs or 1200s... *sigh

^

You're a brave man; I could never give up the DDJ-SX; I recently came into a bit of money that leaves me room to make a purchase like the djm 2000 nexus mixer and cdj2000 nexus without tapping into savings and i'm sorry but as good as those pieces are; they are not worth that kind of money. The slicer on the djm 2000 nexus is straight killer though; as are the triple effect modes; it is a beast of a mixer. 1000 less on each piece and i'd get everything ASAP and still keep my DDJ-SX.

On a side note I took the DDJ-SX into ableton live as my sound card/midi controller. Used Ms. Pinky M4L/VST; wow! All I can say is that Akai fu-cked up not releasing the mpc dj; it gave pioneer time to come out with the ddj sx and it's a wonderful addition as a DAW hardware component alongside my mpd 32, Novation Launchpad, LPD8 and Axiom Pro 49. I wish the Led's from center platter would illuminate when using with Ms. Pinky though and the pads seem to be set to middle c as the first note for the drum kits in ableton; wish there was a way to change it, I'm still exploring having lots of fun.
DjBoozie 4:28 AM - 9 January, 2013
Love the controller.. But the program sucks balls asses for real... Shouldn't have to spend 1k bucks to step back from Itch... This shit is pissing me the fuck off for real
djkrazyleo 4:34 AM - 9 January, 2013
I feel your pain.
Deejay Silence 3:10 AM - 11 January, 2013
i got 1 problem with the ddj sx...

when i touch the platter & move it back and forth (eg. scratching) the sound quality gets pour and some like effected/distortted....

everything else works great.

anyone???
will22 11:04 PM - 11 January, 2013
i dont see why serato/pioneer combo could not release a "centre piece" for the ultimate stereo set up ...... meaning being able to use timecodes fpr tt or cdj's ! And sorry Serato but you guys need to catch up with NI or you will lose more customers . the things they have brought out and one program to control everything .
But in saying this im getting my ddj-sx very soon (cant wait) and will continue to use serato .
SH3PARD 1:55 AM - 12 January, 2013
Quote:

this is the most disappointing fact of the DDJ SX so far
phatbob 2:22 AM - 12 January, 2013
I added 67 new tracks to my library today.

I had to adjust the grids a little bit on 3 of them.

Not a bad hit rate as far as I'm concerned.
phatbob 2:29 AM - 12 January, 2013
And also, VDJ grids are fixed tempo, they can't handle any variables in bpm. Screw that...
deejdave 11:46 PM - 12 January, 2013
Quote:
i dont see why serato/pioneer combo could not release a "centre piece" for the ultimate stereo set up ...... meaning being able to use timecodes fpr tt or cdj's ! And sorry Serato but you guys need to catch up with NI or you will lose more customers . the things they have brought out and one program to control everything .
But in saying this im getting my ddj-sx very soon (cant wait) and will continue to use serato .

They probably dont do that because Rane has that market covered and being it is Rane that released Serato it may be an area that has been perfected. FYI they had this way before Native Instruments whom you seem to think they are trailing. As a matter of fact i have no idea whether you truly mean "Ultimate Stereo Set Up" or ultimate Serato setup. Serato may have some areas that are not exactly like Traktor but IMO that is one of the main reasons I stick them. Serato has the areas which some take for granted such as reliability and tech support that Traktor seems to never have heard of.

Quote:
I added 67 new tracks to my library today.

I had to adjust the grids a little bit on 3 of them.

Not a bad hit rate as far as I'm concerned.

I have no issues with the way Serato's BPM detection / Grid analysis system is working either. I notice that when I have an issue with a particular track almost every track from the same source (website) has the same issue. When a 320 kbps or higher quality track is analyzed I almost always have no issues.
ivan zilch 9:00 AM - 13 January, 2013
i love the DDJ-SX hardware

i just think that the Serato DJ software is still far from reaching its prime state and its pulling the whole thing down

Im a former SL1 (scratch live) user who jumped to Traktor Scratch years and years ago due to their wealth of extra features added to Traktor at a much rapid rate

now testing the Serato waters again - not much has changed, while Traktor has recently added super awesome macro FX, really awesome sample decks etc, Serato... feels the same, and Serato DJ - feels like its not 100 percent done

just my 2 cents
SH3PARD 11:20 AM - 13 January, 2013
i feel VERY STRONGLY Serato DJ has what it takes to take over ..

just some small bugs to work out and then start adding the SHINY stuff
ivan zilch 6:08 PM - 13 January, 2013
i understand that technically (hardware wise) - the ddj-sx is able to do timecode (with its built in sound card and standalone mixer interface)

but this is not (and will never be?) possible due to Serato's contract with Rane in regards to timecode control

what a shame! imagine that - built in 4 channel serato timecode control with the DDJ-SX, that would bring a lot of people into Serato!

of course at the same time rane is gonna lose a huge chuck of their revenue if this were to happen...
will22 9:42 AM - 20 January, 2013
They probably dont do that because Rane has that market covered and being it is Rane that released Serato it may be an area that has been perfected. FYI they had this way before Native Instruments whom you seem to think they are trailing. As a matter of fact i have no idea whether you truly mean "Ultimate Stereo Set Up" or ultimate Serato setup. Serato may have some areas that are not exactly like Traktor but IMO that is one of the main reasons I stick them. Serato has the areas which some take for granted such as reliability and tech support that Traktor seems to never have heard of.

Sounds meaner than i meant , ive used serato much more and happy with its simplicity , ive only had 1 problem ( destroyed some wav files with itch 2.1 ) no biggie though . All i meant was maybe with a large controller like the ddj sx maybe there could be a version that could incorparate cdjs/tts that were controlable from the software is all :) otherwise im happy
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:55 PM - 20 January, 2013
Quote:
And also, VDJ grids are fixed tempo, they can't handle any variables in bpm. Screw that...

For now........
Spinz4life 3:16 AM - 30 January, 2013
Has anyone transitioned over from Scratch Live hardware to the DDJ SX and regret the move?
Sorry if this has been asked but I am considering this move, selling off my 61 and TT's and going the DDJ SX route.
Jam-Master Jake 3:36 AM - 30 January, 2013
It's funny, because I'm considering doing the opposite! (Keeping my SX or selling it for a new NS7 II of course.) I'm chewing on buying 2 Denon SC-3900 controllers and a Rane Sixty-Two to go to more of an "old-school" approach. I'd run SSL and a controller for more advanced FX of course. :)
Spinz4life 3:44 AM - 30 January, 2013
Jam-Master Jake, have you owned turntables or CDJs before? Scratch Live? if so do you prefer those to the DDJ SX/Serato Dj?
WhattaMac 6:21 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Has anyone transitioned over from Scratch Live hardware to the DDJ SX and regret the move?
Sorry if this has been asked but I am considering this move, selling off my 61 and TT's and going the DDJ SX route.

I have been using Scratch Live /Rane 68/CDJ 900/2000s in Native HID since the CDJs have supported HID and have had the DDJ-SX since launch and use both weekly.

1) Scratch Live/68/CDJ in HID is my first choice, Scratch Live has some seriously better ergonomics than DJ and HID on the the "large" CDJ platter is spot on, downside - EXPENSIVE!!

2) DDJ-SX is an excellent piece of hardware and I love everything about it, quality, platter feel, pads, however Serato DJ software needs some minor tweaks to make this perfect. Upside - LOT less money and very similar performance.
Jam-Master Jake 6:59 AM - 30 January, 2013
Spinz4life, I started out as a vinyl guy on a pair of 1200s and a DJM-600 spinning trance and progressive house back in the late 90s before leaving the scene (and selling my gear) in 2003. I returned to the scene 2 years ago as a radio jock and a little over a year ago in bars/clubs/mobile with a digital DJ controller and Serato Itch. I'm now kind of "Itching" to get back to conventional gear--CDJ 900/2000 Nexus or the Denon SC-3900 vinyl controller with a mixer--for mobile gigs and for practicing at home for when I break into the bigger clubs again. I have no desire to go back to the "old way" of lugging 1200s and vinyl/CDs around again for bar/club gigs. I LOVE digital DJing with Serato and my laptop...but I miss the old days of vinyl. Hopefully that makes sense. I have absolutely zero experience with Scratch Live to this point.

I WILL say this: the DDJ-SX is an excellent piece of gear that suffers from some flaws. It's affordable (about 1/5th to 1/6th the cost of the conventional gear I'm looking at buying), but it doesn't offer the vinyl experience I miss. This is why I'm going to hold my horses and decide if it's worth it for me to drop $4500-$6000 on conventional media players/mixer/SSL, or if I should just drop $1500 on a Numark NS7 II and stick with that. Coming from vinyl, I don't CDJs/controllers hold a candle to the feel of a spinning platter of vinyl. I'm also hoping to teach myself how to really scratch well, and the thought of trying to teach myself on CDJ/controller platters makes me slightly nauseated. :)
WhattaMac 7:15 AM - 30 January, 2013
@ Jam-Master Jake

I have been playing since 91 and came up similar... You owe it to yourself to try SSL and the CDJ in HID... - SICK!!

I would say the Denon SC 3900 but alas no native HID.... try it with SSL and Timecode CD but it will probably be a deal breaker...

IMO: Scratch Live is considerably a better, more stable, more developed program than DJ.
It really is considerably better than DJ..
WhattaMac 7:17 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
@ Jam-Master Jake

I have been playing since 91 and came up similar... You owe it to yourself to try SSL and the CDJ in HID... - SICK!!

I would say the Denon SC 3900 but alas no native HID.... try it with SSL and Timecode CD but it will probably be a deal breaker...

IMO: Scratch Live is considerably a better, more stable, more developed program than DJ.
It really is considerably better than DJ..

Also, if you end up back in the large clubs, you are probably going to be using CDJs.....
Spinz4life 7:50 AM - 30 January, 2013
Thanks for the input guys, I think i'll stick with my 61 and TT's. I thought about getting some 3900's but if I need the spinning platters I already have my TT's. I'll probably get the DDJ SX at zzounds using their payment plan, that way I can have the best of both worlds.
ivan zilch 9:38 AM - 30 January, 2013
update:

i still love the ddj-sx hardware but boy the updates are REAAAALLY slow

i think serato must be working on overtime at the moment trying to rush support for all the intro controllers and the itch controllers

the DDJ-sx still is missing the 6% pitch range and 2 decimal bpm, it was requested heavily on the request page yet there is no indication whether the people from serato are listening or not
SH3PARD 10:32 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
update:

i still love the ddj-sx hardware but boy the updates are REAAAALLY slow

i think serato must be working on overtime at the moment trying to rush support for all the intro controllers and the itch controllers

the DDJ-sx still is missing the 6% pitch range and 2 decimal bpm, it was requested heavily on the request page yet there is no indication whether the people from serato are listening or not

+1 on this ...

im very upset
Dj Poole 6:29 PM - 31 January, 2013
SX = 24 years waiting for this
Dj Poole 6:31 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:

pre-ordered, pciked up Oct 31, no regrets
I already have video... so I'll prob sell the voucher
Dj Poole 6:31 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

pre-ordered, picked up Oct 31, no regrets
I already have video... so I'll prob sell the voucher
Jam-Master Jake 6:53 PM - 31 January, 2013
I'll have to check out SSL, but I have to hijack for one quick second and ask what HID is exactly? I understand that it means certain Pioneer gear now provides native timecode support with SSL and frees you from the Serato timecode CDs, but what exactly IS it?
deejdave 3:20 AM - 1 February, 2013
Simply put it means the CDJ natively support Serato and no Timecode or MP3 file needed.
raequan 4:31 PM - 1 February, 2013
Quote:

i did the opposite got the sx first then bought cdj 850's for the HID in SSl whell not really

it goes like this first was SSL and 1200's, Hc1000, then SSL and 3700's then SSL Denon mc6000, ddj sx and now SSL -850's.. will forget the other controllers i bought .

the SX and the 850's are my go to gear right now.
AXs 3:03 AM - 25 February, 2013
I must admit that i'm happy with the DDJ-SX. The SX is my second controller. Coming from the MixTrack Pro (just two months ago) this is a major upgrade. Stepping into the digital DJing age is scary when you've been using 1200's for 15years. The part is the DDJ-SX allows me to use my 1200's thru its mixer. I'm now in the process of using the SX Mixer and 1200's with other softwares . Nothing against Serato which offers a lot of great features just getting the most out of the SX by pushing it to the limits.
dj-freestyle 5:44 PM - 25 February, 2013
Denon 3900 has same thing , no cds needed but the hid for 2000 is alot mor einfo on the screen is the difference. you can load track and scroll same on 3900 but with 2000 you see your lib on the screen on the deck. they are really nice. I love my 3900's to death and love the hybvrid mode with them but hid for 2000 is really dope. plus and minus to both
Fofinho Dj 8:31 AM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:

Yes, you can using Manual Bpm
LSDeeJ 11:56 PM - 11 March, 2013
Picked up my SX today as there has been a pit of a shortage / delayed delivery here in the UK. I'm a CDJ / Traktor user and have to say Serato-DJ looks and feel a bit basic compared to Traktor but all of the main functional elements seem to be the same.

One thing that is giving me grief is the delay from releasing the job wheel during a scratch. As someone mentioned above you have to give it a little push which is going to end up annoying the hell out of me.

Latency set to minimum and it's still noticeable occasionally. I hope this is gonna get fixed during the next release?

Other than that so far so good.
damehype 6:34 AM - 12 March, 2013
Quote:
Picked up my SX today as there has been a pit of a shortage / delayed delivery here in the UK. I'm a CDJ / Traktor user and have to say Serato-DJ looks and feel a bit basic compared to Traktor but all of the main functional elements seem to be the same.

One thing that is giving me grief is the delay from releasing the job wheel during a scratch. As someone mentioned above you have to give it a little push which is going to end up annoying the hell out of me.

Latency set to minimum and it's still noticeable occasionally. I hope this is gonna get fixed during the next release?

Update your firmware.
LSDeeJ 11:35 PM - 13 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Update your firmware.

Yup tried that - I'm on 1.05 and still the same issue. It's the capacitive jog wheel tuning. I'm not convinced by them. I'm running an i7 Win 7 Laptop with 8GbRam - there are no latency issues, it's definitely how the wheel registers my hand on or over the jog wheel. Not impressed.
damehype 12:09 AM - 14 March, 2013
I have no jogwheel latency. OS 10.6.8. My sensitivity is set at around 9 o'clock
LSDeeJ 8:10 AM - 14 March, 2013
Its not a latency issue that im experiencing. I its a hardware problem and its not going to go away. Basically the device registers my hand as touching the platter when its hovering about an 1/4 of an inch above it regardless of what setting I dial it to. This in turn means that I have to lift my hand further away from the platter to release the scratch. Its the same on another unit I have tried and that is plain annoying. I have no idea why pioneer chose to use touch sensative wheels over a basic mechanical set up. The touch sensitivity adds no value and will end up annoying a lot of scratch djs. :( I think mine will be going back.... :(
phatbob 8:25 AM - 14 March, 2013
Quote:
Its not a latency issue that im experiencing. I its a hardware problem and its not going to go away. Basically the device registers my hand as touching the platter when its hovering about an 1/4 of an inch above it regardless of what setting I dial it to. This in turn means that I have to lift my hand further away from the platter to release the scratch. Its the same on another unit I have tried and that is plain annoying. I have no idea why pioneer chose to use touch sensative wheels over a basic mechanical set up. The touch sensitivity adds no value and will end up annoying a lot of scratch djs. :( I think mine will be going back.... :(

That is definitely the sensitivity setting. Try 10 o'clock.
LSDeeJ 9:59 AM - 14 March, 2013
Yeah, I've tried that, nothing seems to work, 1/4 of an inch is the closest I can get it. The annoying thing is that sometimes it works perfectly but the majority of the time if I don't lift my hand away completely the scratch pauses before its released. Such a shame because the rest of the unit is pretty much perfect. It would be great if there was an option to turn off capacitive mode and just use standard mechanics. :)
dj-freestyle 3:14 PM - 14 March, 2013
Have you tired plugging it into a different outlet in another room. some people have experienced this with ground issues alos make sure its flat.
LSDeeJ 4:33 PM - 14 March, 2013
I have also tried this with differing degree's of success. Are you telling me that you don't even get the tiniest delay when you lift your fingers off the platter sometimes?

I find it happens mainly during complex scratches that require a tiny lift off. (if that makes sense?) Maybe - it just aint Vinyl - and I should be grateful - but I was expecting better? :(

But seriously - touch sensitive platters are a Baaaad idea.
phatbob 5:16 PM - 14 March, 2013
Quote:
Are you telling me that you don't even get the tiniest delay when you lift your fingers off the platter sometimes?

Feels a lot more like vinyl to me than controllers which get up to full speed instantly when you lift your fingers.

A record on a 1200 doesn't get immediately up to speed unless you give it a push. Likewise the SX and CDJs. Much more comfortable to transition between IMO.
Johnny Cinco 5:18 PM - 14 March, 2013
I too have NS6 and NS7 but recently got my SX a weeks ago and love it including the nice enhancements they have done with Serato Dj. I did however have to increase audio buffer size to 1024ms since im running video on my Mac i7 2.4ghz. Also, those of you interested in automating the adding of first cue point in itch/Serato DJ see my article at serato.com.
dj-freestyle 5:25 PM - 14 March, 2013
I get such a minute lag that now after using it for months i dont even notice it. Its a controller not a technic or a 3900 so i expect a minute lag but its so small that once you practice muscle memory takes over and i can blend just like a 1200 and scratch wise its a controller. lol lol.
vboyd666 7:05 PM - 14 March, 2013
Nope, went from a Rane 68 with CDJ's to the DDJ-SX. No regrets what so ever. Love it.
vboyd666 7:10 PM - 14 March, 2013
All I can recommend is get/use a fairly new (within 4 years) MacBook Pro. I am a computer tech by day and I can guarantee you that 99% of everybody's issues on these forums are because they are using a sub-par computer or a windows computer or a virus infected computer or something else computer related or some combination of what I've listed.
Johnny Cinco 7:21 PM - 14 March, 2013
Quote:
All I can recommend is get/use a fairly new (within 4 years) MacBook Pro. I am a computer tech by day and I can guarantee you that 99% of everybody's issues on these forums are because they are using a sub-par computer or a windows computer or a virus infected computer or something else computer related or some combination of what I've listed.

I agree as I too am in the tech field and have assisted other DJs just to find out their PC/Mac is at fault.
LSDeeJ 9:43 PM - 14 March, 2013
Quote:

With respect I don't think it has anything to do with my laptop. It's the capacative technology built into the jogwheel that's the issue. I too work in IT and pay little notice to claims that Apple are any better than any other manufacturer of mass market lap top computer systems. (again - no offence intended)

That is not to say that Serato couldn't be tweaked to work with OS slightly better than Windows, but that's a different argument.

However - The same issue is apparent when I hook up the DDJ-SX using my wife's 2012 i7 MPB. So I don't think it's anything to do with the platforms I have available.
vboyd666 10:02 PM - 14 March, 2013
LSDeeJ: I know the issue that you are having. I don't think it is laptop related. I'm no scratch master, but from what I've seen, I have seen no lag if you release your platter on the forward push of your movement.

My post was just a general post. I was not commenting on any of the posts in this thread, more on the posts of the forum in a whole. I actually didn't read any of the posts in this thread until your response, I had to scroll up to see what you were talking about.
LSDeeJ 10:13 PM - 14 March, 2013
Arrghh NP, okay - Well, I'm pulling my hair out here, I really wanted to LOVE the SX but I think I may have a faulty unit. :(

Everything else about the unit is way superior to anything else I have seen on the market. Sound quality is also pretty damn good as well. It'll be a shame to turn it away.

The problem is if I return it. I'll likely have to wait another 8 weeks to get a replacement so I'm reluctant to give up and admit defeat this soon.
dj-freestyle 10:30 PM - 14 March, 2013
It has to just be total luck because i heard all the same things with the ns6 and i never had any of the issue some people did and none with the ddj so it must just be pure luck. I mean that seriously. Must be luck. I really have no huge computer skills and both just worked great . I feel bad for the djs who it doesnt. Thats a awful feeling
vboyd666 10:59 PM - 14 March, 2013
dj-freestyle: Totally agree.

LSDeeJ: Can you work with the place you bought it from and have them order in another one for you and take back the one you have when that one comes in? Or have you tried calling Pioneer and get an RMA and see if they will directly ship you out a new one? Don't know if that's how they work, but worth a shot (phone call).
LSDeeJ 11:23 PM - 14 March, 2013
^^ Yeah I'm going to have to give the store I bought it from a call first. I'm like 4 days in to my 7 day distance sales purchase, so I shouldn't have any issue returning the item, but, your right, I'd rather work with the seller or Pioneer to get another unit checked out ahead of shipping a replacement etc.

My gut feel is that I might just admit it's the wrong controller for me. I'm way too sceptical about the touch sensitive tech.

Again, I want to like it - but a tainted first experience, often ruins the chance of ever really liking the item long term
vboyd666 6:16 PM - 15 March, 2013
I know what you mean about first experiences. Whether you stick with the DDJ-SX or not, that's your call. I personally take it for what it is. A new piece of hardware that needs to work out some kinks. Just like anything else that you purchase when it's the first generation. You get the latest and greatest, but the trade off is that you are now officially a beta tester.
Certified Quality Entertainment 6:36 PM - 15 March, 2013
Very true...and same goes for all equipment.

Maybe I'm just lucky but everything for me has been rock solid (knock on wood). No issues with anything hardware or software. But you have to think for the amount of units sold (15-20,000 probably). Very small percentage of people have problems.
dj-freestyle 8:03 PM - 17 March, 2013
My 62 z trip will be here monday so i better be careful saying that. lol lol. Ill have issues all the sudden
djambesa 12:25 AM - 22 May, 2013
wish RANE would come up with a controller, always been a fan of RANE mixers!
damehype 9:25 PM - 22 May, 2013
Quote:
wish RANE would come up with a controller, always been a fan of RANE mixers!

If I had a dollar for every time someone said this.... Please folks, give it up
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:49 PM - 22 May, 2013
If they made one it would prob be a flop lole the Rane 68, that mixer was way to pricey and the off centre faders did not go down well or the rock hard buttons.

Rane has not made cd players ect so they prob would not be very good.

There king at making scratch mixers.
djambesa 1:24 AM - 23 May, 2013
Never giving up on Rane, sorry Kiddo
deejdave 1:42 AM - 23 May, 2013
Agreed a Rane controller would have a killer mixer section with two (probably useless) mediocre attempts at control surfaces at either side.
pajtim 10:53 PM - 23 May, 2013
Pioneer DDJ-SX is the most fantastic dj controller so far.I own it and I'm really happy with it's perfomance.I had the DDJ-S1 before I got this controller and I did like it,but honestly the DDJ-SX it's superior.
djambesa 3:16 AM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:
Agreed a Rane controller would have a killer mixer section with two (probably useless) mediocre attempts at control surfaces at either side.

agreeee
damehype 3:19 AM - 25 May, 2013
Rane is not making a controller. Give it up
djambesa 9:34 PM - 31 May, 2013
Quote:
Rane is not making a controller. Give it up

never giving up on Rane!!!
WhattaMac 7:02 AM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
If they made one it would prob be a flop lole the Rane 68, that mixer was way to pricey and the off centre faders did not go down well or the rock hard buttons.

Umm, I love my 68 (have 2 of them) and have zero problem with the center faders location and the cue buttons work fine for me..,, just saying..

And we are not talking about "CD players" we are talking about controllers. If Pioneer made "separate" controllers that were the same physical size as their CDJ 2000s with no CD player built in (which lets face it for digital DJ's, what's the point) that cost $1000 less, I am sure they would sell like CRAZY!

The reason why the DDJ-SX is such a great piece of gear is that in a lot of ways it is the controller that is closest to getting 2 Pioneer CDJ's running in native HID in ScratchLive without having to drop over 3-4k$. Only issue is Serato DJ isn't ScratchLive... It's close.

My main system is Rane 68 and 2 Pioneer CDJ 2000s in native HID and honestly I don't miss 1200s even remotely, they perform flawlessly and I have NEVER had an issue in the last 3 yrs. BUT, this is an expensive option that can only be justified by doing lots of gigs and getting paid well.. Weekend mechanic = Craftsman Tools. Professional Mechanic = Snap On Tools...

If Rane were to make a controller they could actually make a killer one, don't kid yourself.
deejdave 9:09 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Umm, I love my 68 (have 2 of them) and have zero problem with the center faders location and the cue buttons work fine for me..,, just saying..

And we are not talking about "CD players" we are talking about controllers. If Pioneer made "separate" controllers that were the same physical size as their CDJ 2000s with no CD player built in (which lets face it for digital DJ's, what's the point) that cost $1000 less, I am sure they would sell like CRAZY!

The reason why the DDJ-SX is such a great piece of gear is that in a lot of ways it is the controller that is closest to getting 2 Pioneer CDJ's running in native HID in ScratchLive without having to drop over 3-4k$. Only issue is Serato DJ isn't ScratchLive... It's close.

My main system is Rane 68 and 2 Pioneer CDJ 2000s in native HID and honestly I don't miss 1200s even remotely, they perform flawlessly and I have NEVER had an issue in the last 3 yrs. BUT, this is an expensive option that can only be justified by doing lots of gigs and getting paid well.. Weekend mechanic = Craftsman Tools. Professional Mechanic = Snap On Tools...

If Rane were to make a controller they could actually make a killer one, don't kid yourself.

I Mostly agree with your logic although IMO I DO NOT believe Rane would make an effective controller. Minus the optics & motors thats all a CDJ is. A controller. Pioneer is having a huge success with controllers because they have essentially been doing it for years because of this fact. The similar feel to the CDJ is not just a coincidence. It's just how they do things. I feel Rane knows this and they are leery to join in the controller game because of this.They do make a killer mixer but I think it is wishful thinking that they would be able to add anything new or innovative to controllers at this point that hasn't already been done. Many companies have had their success & failure products that lead them to where they are today. In the end it's all experience that led them to their current products today. Rane would now be making a first attempt at something that others have almost perfected. How many people would be willing to take the chance with a new product that may or may not perform all while (with Ranes track record) probably costing twice as much as their current controller.

Again this is just MY opinion so don't take this as an attack. Until it does/doesn't happen we will never know.
dj steph 12:04 PM - 10 June, 2013
Man, I'm an ex-S2 and loooong time Traktor user. I switched to Serato because of the video, and I must say the SX is an additional reason why I switched. Though I'm still not 100% familiar with Serato, this hardware has serious features. We speak pro, rick solid and good-looking equipment. Something that was def missing with my S2..
WhattaMac 1:03 AM - 11 June, 2013
Ever since the firmware update that "fixed" the mic input I am very happy with my DDJ-SX!
i am considering getting another one, just waiting for price to come down a little. I really don't know how N.I. gets so many people to buy S2/S4 controllers.. Cheap plastic toys really and no video support in Traktor... Fail...
Mike from Chicago 7:24 PM - 17 June, 2013
I love my SX, but investment that I've made in years. I came from S1 to NS6 to SX.
The SX is a substantial difference. Just wish Serato DJ had a few things that SSL & ITCH had like +10% pitch for instance.

Love the controller Functionality!!!!
alowflyingpig 2:19 AM - 2 August, 2013
I'm in love with my SX. Strted with vinyl then CDJ's now the SX and love it to bits. Opens the door to much more creativity than ever before.

Only issues was 'user error' when installing/starting for the first time but since then (touch wood) all is a.ok!!

I've recommened this to a few people thus far as I can't fault it.
DjCity 5:56 PM - 2 August, 2013
Regret is not the right word.

I have the Numark NS6. I love it's performance. I love how it sounds. I love it's work flow. The NS6 is an amazing machine coupled with itch.

I tried my NS6 on Serato DJ and was totally disappointed.
The work flow is not functional and it sounds bad, distorted and overdriven.

I also have a Pioneer DDJ SX. It's work flow is not as well laid out as the NS6. The pitch fader (left deck) is too close to the platter and mixer, the strip search is too close to the platter and the fx's and the pads are very sensitive. It's too easy to accidentally trigger something. (Wish they were above the platter instead of beneath).

I wish there were dedicated cue triggers instead of the multifunction triggers. It's easy to forget that you are in slicer or sample when you want to hit or set a cue point.

Sound:
Numark NS6 sounds great with itch but it sounds bad with Serato DJ.
SDJ louder than itch but it's distorted sounding and overdriven when used with the NS6

The Pioneer DDJ SX sounds completely different on Serato DJ than the NS6 does.
The DDJ SX sounds good. It's crisp, clean and sharp. The DDJ SX does not sound overdriven at all. No distorted signals. DDJ clips too easily though (limiter light).

The Numark with Itch is a winner. The Numark with Serato DJ does not work well and sounds bad. It sounds loud but bad.

The Pioneer DDJ SX is close to being great except for the things I mentioned.
Serato DJ is the only option for the Pioneer.

These are my findings and my opinions.
pajtim 11:17 AM - 23 August, 2013
Pioneer DDJ-SX is the best controller I've used till now.I'm really happy with it.
DJ EXODUZ 8:48 AM - 2 September, 2013
With each day passing more controllers roll out, for all us hailing the sx, soon better controllers like ns7mk2 will drop ya jaws. Doesn't matter what controller u use as most people won't even use every function in 2years. Use what ever is comfortable. Stop wasting time ranting on drawbacks and learn the positives. There will never be a perfect Dj gear
deejdave 3:25 PM - 2 September, 2013
I agree somewhat in you general idea but specifically disagree as the ns7MKII (if ever released) may introduce new features but its build will be inferior to the SX being who built it. Numark gear will never drop my jaw................. just sayin LOL carry on.
Ragman 12:29 AM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
I agree somewhat in you general idea but specifically disagree as the ns7MKII (if ever released) may introduce new features but its build will be inferior to the SX being who built it. Numark gear will never drop my jaw................. just sayin LOL carry on.

I disagree with your disagree. I think the NS7 II will be badass. I'm already diggin the hi torque platters carried over from the NS7 and the features like the touch sensitive filtering knobs are gonna be sweet. And as far as the build you may hate on Numark for past mistakes but the NS7 series is built like tank. That has never been in question.
DJ EXODUZ 6:16 AM - 3 September, 2013
+1 for ragman and by Oct this beast ggonna drop
SG SOUNDS 12:38 PM - 3 September, 2013
Anything numark drops bet your life pioneer will drop something better....
pajtim 1:19 PM - 3 September, 2013
I love my DDJ-SX more & more everyday !
SG SOUNDS 1:46 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
I love my DDJ-SX more & more everyday !

I sleep with mines at night...
Ragman 11:42 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
Anything numark drops bet your life pioneer will drop something better....

You will never hear me say one company is better than the other. Numark and Pioneer don't even really compete with their flagship product lines. They both cater to two different DJ styles and taste. Now Denon hats off to that company as they're the only DJ company that offers flagship products that is either static or rotating platter. And both products are solid.
spdandpwr 11:49 PM - 3 September, 2013
I am on the fence with mine. Part of me says I should've went with an SL2: more realistic vinyl emulation and more stability. And the other part enjoys all the neat features, particularly multi-deck control...oh yea, and searching for tracks with the the file search menu is easier with serato scratch live, as I could just type the names of the song, can't do that with Serato DJ.
DjCity 11:53 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
searching for tracks with the the file search menu is easier with serato scratch live, as I could just type the names of the song, can't do that with Serato DJ.

Why not?
I do that all the time on Serato DJ and itch.
pdidy 11:58 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
searching for tracks with the the file search menu is easier with serato scratch live, as I could just type the names of the song, can't do that with Serato DJ.

Why not?
I do that all the time on Serato DJ and itch.

He must be new here...........lol Yet, just joined today.
spdandpwr 12:29 AM - 4 September, 2013
I know there is a search bar, but if you're navigating through folder menus, my laptop buttons are hot keys for the tracks that are playing, even if press the shift and/or tab key.

I'll look at the tutorial if I'm missing something here. By the way, is this something that I'll find in the tutorial: when I use the directional areas to shift though browser menus, the viewer doesn't shift back over to the left when I collapse a menu

Regardless of these learning the software quirks, my Macbook and PC laptop don't like the DDJ-SX. Some people say that upgrade to 10.8.5 fixes my issue with the unit freezing, but the official beta release notes do not mention anything about usb fixes.
deejdave 7:18 AM - 5 September, 2013
pioneerdj.com

Yay Pioneer!!
deejdave 7:30 AM - 5 September, 2013
Keep your Numark................ NSwhateva!! Pioneer DJM-900SRT, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus & a Pioneer DDJ-SP1........................... Now you're all in big trouble!!! God I love life!!

Looks like the DDJ-SX will be my backup Serato DJ controller. Anyone know if the DJM-900SRT will be supporting Nexus features?
Davideon 7:36 AM - 5 September, 2013
So the sp1 can be added to existing dvs systems to give the features of the ddjsx. Fine, but just how do existing ddjsx users get the features of dvs?

In 2014 will we be able to have 1210s hooked up to the pc via sl2, with the output of the vinyl controlled virtual decks coming through the ddjsx?
deejdave 8:20 AM - 5 September, 2013
If wished but it would render the DDJ-SX redundant................. I think. That sure is a setup predicament. In that scenario it would make much more sense to be able to add the 1200's to the DDJ-SX and use the SX as a soundcard.

I would also assume most people with the SX do not have turntables or at least that is Pioneer/Serato's thought process. Either way what do they care it's more money in their pockets right? I mean in my case I would gladly put my DDJ-SX tp the side and go with the DJM-900SRT due to the color FX, X-Pad, Quantize, P-Lock faders (one of my biggest TBH as I send my faders flying quote frequently on my SX LMAO), professional look/feel & more advantages so it is not an issue but I do feel it will be for others. To be honest with the addition of the SP1 I woud be greatly limiting myself by using the DDJ-SX over the DJM-900SRT/CDJ setup. The ONLY advantage would be the portability...................... literally that is it except MAYBE the larger sampler volume fader as the SP1 has a fader that seems half the travel distance.
Ultimate Patu 8:59 AM - 5 September, 2013
Reading hear, I'm persevering at present but here are some reasons I find the DDJ-SX annoying...compared to my old DDJ-S1 or CDJ-1000's and Xone92 setup.

1) The up faders are too stiff/heavy so you cannot 'throw' the fader up
2) The pitch slider is too close to the platter and is very light and is very easily knocked when you are nudging the platter = disaster mid mix!!
3) The pitch change accuracy is terrible compared to the CDJ-900, 1000, 2000 or DDJ-S1 (though I believe this is a software issue causing widespread grief - not Pioneer issue)
4) Headphone volume control on the front edge isn't ideal
5) Why are all the knobs rubber except the filters??
6) The HP and LP filter knobs are immediately below the low freq knobs. When you are watching the laptop screen it's easy to start messing with the filters by accident...thinking it's the low freq.

Some of these are just learning to do things differently, but you shouldn't have to avoid using a feature a certain way because you'll knock something else if you do... I think Pioneer have tried to cram too much into one console and the result is that it's cramped..

Lot's people here like it so I'm sticking with it for now...
tristraum 1:43 PM - 5 September, 2013
I looked at it. But bought the Denon 6000 because it was half the size and made out of metal. The Pioneer controller is freaking huge. I thought the concept of controllers was to get away from needing CDJs and a mixer.. and what do they make? A controller the size of those three pieces of gear.

I love PIONEER. Really I do.. and I love my CDJs.. but what I really want is a Pioneer CDJ-like controller in a 19" rack mountable configuration that works with any software. Let the software choose the controller in settings the same way we can use any cd player or turntable. The whole licensing thing making some controllers work this or that is just a power play. come on people. The music industry created MIDI for a reason. To make all instruments talk to one another from different manufactures. So, dj gear should follow this model and make all stuff talk to one another. This was figured-out in 1985 with MIDI.. Rane, Pioneer, Numark, Native Instruments.. play nice.. and DJs will decide what platform and software to use.. not be arm twisted into a few choices based on your contract with whomever. I switched from Serato to Traktor because of a controller preference. And while I love the action on the new Pioneer SX box, it's just too big and plastic crap for me. End of rant.
AustinG 1:48 PM - 5 September, 2013
DDJ-SX was ok. I've used/owned damn near every kit released. I gig'd with the NS7 for 2 years, no problems. DDJ-SX and SDJ was hit or miss. I never had anything major happen during a gig... I sold the SX while I could still get a good return on investment. SX and NS6's are like toys to me. Only good part about them is the idea and the weight. Other than that, they're junk. Ns7II will be the closest thing to a perfect controller when it drops.
deejdave 8:21 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
DDJ-SX was ok. I've used/owned damn near every kit released. I gig'd with the NS7 for 2 years, no problems. DDJ-SX and SDJ was hit or miss. I never had anything major happen during a gig... I sold the SX while I could still get a good return on investment. SX and NS6's are like toys to me. Only good part about them is the idea and the weight. Other than that, they're junk. Ns7II will be the closest thing to a perfect controller when it drops.

Possibly. But then again your talking about the lesser of evils. I love my SX but it is a toy compared to my nexus setup....................... EVERY controller is for that matter. The ONLY thing the SX had over my main rig was SDJ. With yesterdays news that will come to an end. Numark would not even dare to try and come up with a comparable setup. This is also out of even Denon's league. I truly feel this changes everything. For me at least this is a complete fact. three letters S-R-T means an entire overhaul for my main rig and the DDJ-SX becomes backup gear at best. The SP1 takes EVERY feature the SX has over the nexus rig and applies it to the Nexus rig.

NS7 = Cool
DDJ-SX = Cooler
NS7II = even cooler
DJM-900SRT, CDJ-2000 Nexus, DDJ-SP1 = Although in some ways not directly comparable - BY FAR THE COOLEST.
Futuretek 8:31 PM - 5 September, 2013
The SX is the best controller right now. The only thing that I wish it had was midi control when when using it as just a mixer. That way you could still run video seamlessly while using Scratch Live.
Asu 11:22 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

this is the most disappointing fact of the DDJ SX so far

you need to set the proper range guys...this has been covered over and over...set the proper range say 68-135 and you'll be alright...anything that's outside this range will be half the proper BPM or double the right BPM...at this point double click that doubled or halved BPM....hold down ALT & + or - key to double or halve that out of range BPM to what it should be...problem solved :-)
Asu 11:31 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:

you're not even serious...you dare disrespect a controller like a DDJ-SX and call it JUNK!!!!...i bet you can have the new gear and you'll still get smoked by someone mixing/scratching on a SX...but seriously dude...respect the gear/R&D and hard work that goes into making these products...you may not like it but it ain't junk...

all this gear DJM-900SRT, CDJ-2000 Nexus, DDJ-SP1 = DDJ-SX for any DJ...while playing what can you do with the new setup one can't do on the SX??? seriously....Junk??? that was uncalled for dude...respect the gear!
deejdave 6:14 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
all this gear DJM-900SRT, CDJ-2000 Nexus, DDJ-SP1 = DDJ-SX for any DJ...while playing what can you do with the new setup one can't do on the SX???

1.) Run Traktor
2.) Run Rekordbox
3.) Use the DJM-900SRT's color FX
4.) Use the DJM-900's X-pad
5.) Use the digital connections
6.) Use the wi-fi features of the Nexus CDJ's
7.) Jog Wheel improvement
8.) Lose all of the DDJ-SX issues (Crossfader, Mic issues, etc.)

........................ want me to go on? Because I can.
deejdave 6:19 AM - 6 September, 2013
I'll go step further and reverse. Name ONE thing the DDJ-SX that the DJM-900SRT, CDJ-2000 Nexus, DDJ-SP1 setup can NOT do.

Please keep in mind I have The DDJ-SX, the Nexus setup, and WILL have the SRT setup and I love them all (w the exception of the SRT in which case is a WILL love scenario). I DID NOT call the DDJ-SX Junk and as a matter of fact said it was better than the NS7 IMO so I'm not sure why you said " seriously....Junk??? that was uncalled for dude...respect the gear!."
funkthepunk 9:57 AM - 6 September, 2013
@deejdave offcourse SRT + cdj2000nexus + ddj-sp1 will kill out all the shit of all modern dj equipment... but how much it will cost? Like 7000$ ? In terms of pricing and functionality ddj-sx is way far at this moment
AustinG 3:13 PM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

you're not even serious...you dare disrespect a controller like a DDJ-SX and call it JUNK!!!!...i bet you can have the new gear and you'll still get smoked by someone mixing/scratching on a SX...but seriously dude...respect the gear/R&D and hard work that goes into making these products...you may not like it but it ain't junk...

all this gear DJM-900SRT, CDJ-2000 Nexus, DDJ-SP1 = DDJ-SX for any DJ...while playing what can you do with the new setup one can't do on the SX??? seriously....Junk??? that was uncalled for dude...respect the gear!

You're right, a lot of time went into building the SX. I wrote my review wrong. It should've read - compared to the NS7, the SX is JUNK (mostly because of the platters and layout of things).

Numark's controllers are made just as good as Pioneers'. The Akai pads will be dope on the NS7 II plus they listened to us testers with making the strip search as far away as possibl. The SX is revolutionary but it fails from a turntablists perspective.
AustinG 3:20 PM - 6 September, 2013
And to answer the OP, yes, I very much regretted my DDJ-SX purchase.

My weapons of choice are still 1200's/CDJ's, Rane mixer or 800/900, Z2, or NS7 (Running Itch)... Don't know what to expect with the whole SDJ changeover, I'm still on the fence.

Asu, I will use one turntable and still f you up. But I'll get flamed if I call you out for a battle so just let me know...
Futuretek 3:42 PM - 6 September, 2013
As a turntable I can see why you'd hate pretty much any controller except the NS7, it's like being a sports car guy and having to rate how a F-150 drives. I still have and actually rather my turntables better but in most situations ( wont even bring back the argument that they should make only one program, and how a controller should be able to use a turntable as an input) but this is quality gear and in the right hands can shut any place down just as well as anything else out there.
deejdave 8:46 PM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
( wont even bring back the argument that they should make only one program, and how a controller should be able to use a turntable as an input)

Wait, What?? Serato DJ will be the ONLY serato software and MOST controllers have an option for TT's as inputs.
pajtim 10:38 PM - 6 September, 2013
I don't really get it.Why someone keeps complaining about Pioneer DDJ-SX,it's a great gear.I use it from 3 months and I'm really satisfied with its performance.The audio quality coming from this controller is brilliant.My pioneer DDJ-SX keeps paying me back almost everyday. :)
funkthepunk 8:40 AM - 7 September, 2013
deejdave
I guess what he mean is DVS input support

pajtim
I agree with you.. ddj-sx rocks my socks
Futuretek 2:09 PM - 7 September, 2013
Yes, I was talking about DVS. Funny, I just saw that announcement! I guess I'm getting half my wish after all! If they were planning this move for the past 3 years and the SX cant handle it, I'd be pretty disappointed. Fingers crossed.
AustinG 2:23 PM - 9 September, 2013
Quote:
I don't really get it.Why someone keeps complaining about Pioneer DDJ-SX,it's a great gear.I use it from 3 months and I'm really satisfied with its performance.The audio quality coming from this controller is brilliant.My pioneer DDJ-SX keeps paying me back almost everyday. :)

What did you learn to spin with first? Or, Is this your first setup?
spdandpwr 3:32 PM - 9 September, 2013
I sold my DDJ-SX. I miss it, but had stability issues with the dang macbook air.
pajtim 6:27 AM - 10 September, 2013
What did you learn to spin with first? Or, Is this your first setup?

For five years I've used Pioneer Cdj-400.They were great cd players,then I bought Pioneer DDJ-S1 which good,then the DDJ-SX came out and I couldn't resist to it.I have a macbook pro 15" that I use with it,it's wonderful how these two buddies do the job in a perfect way.
spdandpwr 2:50 PM - 10 September, 2013
Here's how my equipment progression panned out:

- Started of on wax in 2004
- implemented cdjs in 2006 (2 turntables and a cdj)
- used SSL with turntables / cdj decks (some clubs had technics cd players) in 2007 and been doing that ever since

Right now, I want to use the DDJ-SX and am willing to buy a new computer in order to have it run flawlessly (brand new MacBook Air and old Acer can't handle the software), but the sound engine needs to be tweaked. Literally, I feel like the DDJ-SX was perfect and I had a blast playing out until the unit would freeze...but like I said, they need to fix the sound... I just feel that SSL nailed it -- wondering if it used proprietary tech from Rane / Serato engineering and thus they can't really use it in SDJ since it's no longer a Rane tech.

Right now I am debating if I should keep my turntables and get an SL2...I am just tired of two deck mixing.
pdidy 3:33 PM - 10 September, 2013
Quote:
I sold my DDJ-SX. I miss it, but had stability issues with the dang macbook air.

im using a 2011 macbook air and it works flawlessly. Which mba were you using ?
spdandpwr 3:47 PM - 10 September, 2013
13-inch, mid 2013 MacBook Air

1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB
OS X 10.8.4

Not sure why it's not working right. Songs were on a 2 mb usb stick (and crashed) and on a 500 GB Hard drive and crashed.
pdidy 4:24 PM - 10 September, 2013
Quote:

1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3
OS X 10.8.4

Not sure why it's not working right. Songs were on a 2 mb usb stick (and crashed) and on a 500 GB Hard drive and crashed.

Just as I thought, There is a known issue with the new MacBook Air using haswell processors. It is very important that you do you research BEFORE buying a new laptop.

Read this, there appears to be a fix.
serato.com
serato.com

Quote:

The problem (stability issue) was the macbbok air using haswell processors, NOT the ddjsx that you sold.
spdandpwr 4:29 PM - 10 September, 2013
^right, my is supposed to suggest that it was a user-end issue (computer) and not the hardware / software
spdandpwr 4:31 PM - 10 September, 2013
But, to that point, the new macbook pros are rumored to be incorporating the haswell processors so this issue is going to be more widespread as the new macs roll in. Fortunately, this computer is free, so I'm not worried about it not working on this computer.
LaDjkaoz 11:51 PM - 13 September, 2013
I was very happy untill I star using the mic... I used a ddjm3000 for ovr a decade and the mics on that mixer are great, I had pro singers using them and love them however the mics inputs in the SX are useless, when theirs a signal in the mic the there line lever drops a bit, this make it imposible for a signer to sing along his instrumental track, the sound is not natural sound muddy((after the firmware update, and If I knew the FXs are not mic assignable most likely I wouldn't buy it but I find out too late. not to mention the bugs in serato.... but whats done is done.. Pioneer let me down this time..... :,(
pajtim 8:14 AM - 14 September, 2013
Hi everybody on the forum !

I I've been using the Pioneer DDJ-SX for 4 months and I'm not having any issues with it.
The microphone is working great and everything else.I've heard that someone is having trouble with the mic input on the DDJ-SX but mine is working quite well.

Regarding to macbook pro guys,there's no doubt that apple makes the best computers.I own a macbook pro 15" early 2011 with 16 Gb ram and it works like a charm.I've had windows laptop before using with the DDJ-SX and they are nothing compared to a mac.
AustinG 6:18 PM - 15 September, 2013
Quote:

I I've been using the Pioneer DDJ-SX for 4 months and I'm not having any issues with it.
The microphone is working great and everything else.I've heard that someone is having trouble with the mic input on the DDJ-SX but mine is working quite well.

Regarding to macbook pro guys,there's no doubt that apple makes the best computers.I own a macbook pro 15" early 2011 with 16 Gb ram and it works like a charm.I've had windows laptop before using with the DDJ-SX and they are nothing compared to a mac.

Have you ever used another setup with a mic? Honestly? The mic defect on the SX was one of the few major reasons why I hated my SX purchase.
pajtim 2:39 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Have you ever used another setup with a mic? Honestly? The mic defect on the SX was one of the few major reasons why I hated my SX purchase.

When I had the DDJ-S1 I used another mixer for the mic setup.The microphone quality on the DDJ-S1 was really poor.Now that I use the Pioneer DDJ-SX the mic quality is really great and don't need another mixer anymore for the microphone
pajtim 2:53 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:

1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3
OS X 10.8.4

Hi ! Before I've used a macbook air with the DDJ-SX and it worked perfectly.It was early 2011,core i7 1.8 GHz,4 gb ram.Never had any problem with it.Now I've got a Macbook Pro 15" early 2011,core i7 2.2 GHz,graphic 1 Gb dedicated,I've switched from 4 Gb to 16 Gb ram.I've had a lot of work this summer,mostly weddings and never had a single issue till now.Bless apple,it gets the job done.
DJ freestylefrenzy 2:55 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
But, to that point, the new macbook pros are rumored to be incorporating the haswell processors so this issue is going to be more widespread as the new macs roll in. Fortunately, this computer is free, so I'm not worried about it not working on this computer.

You guys should be alright now..

I have been one of many with 2013 MBA haswell and I had the vci 380. basically SDJ and haswell 10.8.4 OSX did not play nice..

Apple just released 10.8.5 and NOW it is okay. that is a first hand experience
Manny C dot com 5:06 AM - 19 September, 2013
LaDjkaoz 5:50 AM - 24 September, 2013
I was one of the early bird to pre order it...
my pioneer DDJ SX MIC sucks unfortunally,,, good thing is that shure is ther for us... I boug a personal mixer now I have 4 mics and the audio of the mic is fantastic...
I miss my old pioneer DJM 3000, 3 mics that work, EQ on all mics and FX assign... not like the FX on the ddj sx that aren't mic assign...
Quipsilon 10:47 AM - 26 September, 2013
Quote:

yea it's freaking annoying but you do realize it's due to the beatgrid right ? you just gotta fix the beatgrid and it should be right. At that point you just have to decide if it's reading it in half time or not or double and fix it to the one you want.
Quipsilon 10:52 AM - 26 September, 2013
Quote:
I looked at it. But bought the Denon 6000 because it was half the size and made out of metal. The Pioneer controller is freaking huge. I thought the concept of controllers was to get away from needing CDJs and a mixer.. and what do they make? A controller the size of those three pieces of gear.

I love PIONEER. Really I do.. and I love my CDJs.. but what I really want is a Pioneer CDJ-like controller in a 19" rack mountable configuration that works with any software. Let the software choose the controller in settings the same way we can use any cd player or turntable. The whole licensing thing making some controllers work this or that is just a power play. come on people. The music industry created MIDI for a reason. To make all instruments talk to one another from different manufactures. So, dj gear should follow this model and make all stuff talk to one another. This was figured-out in 1985 with MIDI.. Rane, Pioneer, Numark, Native Instruments.. play nice.. and DJs will decide what platform and software to use.. not be arm twisted into a few choices based on your contract with whomever. I switched from Serato to Traktor because of a controller preference. And while I love the action on the new Pioneer SX box, it's just too big and plastic crap for me. End of rant.

Nah trust me the reason controllers are so populalr is the price range, you get everything for the price if not less than the price of one mixer.
WarpNote 2:46 PM - 26 September, 2013
Quote:
Nah trust me the reason controllers are so populalr is the price range, you get everything for the price if not less than the price of one mixer.

^ This! ^
AustinG 3:25 PM - 26 September, 2013
^^ so what you all are saying is that you are a budget DJ? Hey, whatever works. Don't ever expect to be taken seriously. I'll use my controllers for simple gigs. My 1200's are still my choice of weapon for when it counts.
Quipsilon 3:39 PM - 26 September, 2013
Quote:
^^ so what you all are saying is that you are a budget DJ? Hey, whatever works. Don't ever expect to be taken seriously. I'll use my controllers for simple gigs. My 1200's are still my choice of weapon for when it counts.

When it counts you use what WORKS for you, not what is most expensive. As a dude who's been djiing for about 6 years, I DIDN'T grow up and become accustom to the feel of 1200 vinyl. And with that being said, there's nothing a turntable can offer me for a live gig where I'm spinning, that a controller such as the SX can't besides real vinyl, and I'm not a turntablist, I'm a DJ, so I don't need that. In fact, there are many features controllers consist of that 1200's do not.
Quipsilon 3:51 PM - 26 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

When it counts you use what WORKS for you, not what is most expensive. As a dude who's been djiing for about 6 years, I DIDN'T grow up and become accustom to the feel of 1200 vinyl. And with that being said, there's nothing a turntable can offer me for a live gig where I'm spinning, that a controller such as the SX can't besides real vinyl, and I'm not a turntablist, I'm a DJ, so I don't need that. In fact, there are many features controllers consist of that 1200's do not.

I'd also like to respectfully add in that I believe that as a DJ, not a turntabist, if you can't obtain seriousness through a piece of equipment as capable as the DDJ SX and others of the like, it ISN'T your equipment that's the problem. It's about the MUSIC, and mixing it well enough, not about whether you're using the new hottest all in one unit or something that started development in the 70s.
AustinG 5:07 PM - 26 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd also like to respectfully add in that I believe that as a DJ, not a turntabist, if you can't obtain seriousness through a piece of equipment as capable as the DDJ SX and others of the like, it ISN'T your equipment that's the problem. It's about the MUSIC, and mixing it well enough, not about whether you're using the new hottest all in one unit or something that started development in the 70s.

Fair enough... keep justifying that for yourself. Then again, if you haven't progressed to club standard in 6 yrs you probably never will.
deejdave 6:38 PM - 26 September, 2013
Kind of both true. The standard is STILL TT/CDJ's at clubs (at least in NY) but I AM seeing the controllers being more accepted at a slow pace. The Hamptons & the city are still CDJ/TT but Fire island & long island are seeing more & more controllers from the youngn's (and even some veterans) but at the major events they are nowhere to be found. I am not sure if this will ever change but if it did we need to accept it as its part of progress. There IS NO denying a controller is WAY more capable than a pair of TT's. As a matter of fact aside from scratching there are few other areas in which they excel over controllers.

To each his own. Just remember anyone brave enough to enter the pro arena with a controller KNOWING there is a risk of ridicule MUST know what he/she is doing. You can't deny skill. If DJ A hops on the TT's and does mediocre set and DJ B walks in with his controller and tears it up his controller will soon be forgotten and the ONLY ridiculing at that point will be DJ A and only by reason of defense. In the end making fun of a DJ who was not around when TT's (let alone CDJ's) where THE ONLY solutions is not the way to go. It only brings up questions like "what are you so afraid of?" If a DJ is willing to do his thing knowing it's not the norm it could be a laughing matter but in SOME cases is known as INNOVATION. It is for each of us to choose our own paths and as long as we are informed or the pro's & cons I say either way is a wise path as long as it makes you happy. Let's be honest MOST of us will not make millions on this so short of paying some bills & trying to hack out a living the "happiness" factor is all we have.
Manny C dot com 11:35 PM - 26 September, 2013
This is getting way off topic, people.

i.imgur.com
pdidy 12:27 AM - 27 September, 2013
AustinG started it.....lol.
www.tomontech.com
The Diplomat 8:23 PM - 29 September, 2013
The majority of my mobile DJ associates own the DDJ SX but I do not but I played on the SX. They love it but all agree that the one issue is the mic pre-amp sound quality. We should all wonder why an elite controller with an elite price has a below expected mic pre when cheap mixers under $200 have mic pre amps that sound better. If you plan on using the mic a lot with an SX, buy/use a separate 2-chn mic mixer (under $200). Since Pioneer has a rep for great mixers, I wonder what angle they are working. Stepping back to look at the big picture, most of you ignored Tristraum's 9/5/2013 comment. I agree with him in that if a controller is as large as the DDJ SX (or any similar sized controller), why not just stick with your CDJs? I still use timecodes with CDJs. I do not have the fever to just spend money for the lastest/greatest when the pro audio equipment industry is hustling DJs. If it is not broke, don't fix it. Stick with what you have until it is close to punching out. I would buy the SX if it were smaller; a giant controller just doesn't make sense to me. When my old CDJs punch out or act funny, I'll likely buy the 900s (the 2000s are over priced). Peace!
Quipsilon 2:17 AM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fair enough... keep justifying that for yourself. Then again, if you haven't progressed to club standard in 6 yrs you probably never will.

On the contrary no justification is actually needed, and I just graduated high school but a year ago therefore progressing to $3500 worth of equipment is a bit harder at my age when you're dumping all your working money into college.... Nonetheless, in an effort to remain on topic my sx should ship sometime this week so I can give y'all my own opinion :)
deejdave 2:26 AM - 30 September, 2013
@ Quipsilon. I always dreamed of having the latest & the greatest in DJ gear. Back when I started at 15 yrs. old it just wasn't in my cards either. Now I am 30 and able to get any end everything I ever want. This comes from years of hard work. Do the right things, keep your nose clean and you will too. That being said I do mean any & everything so that includes my DDJ-SX. Let people say what they want but as a man of many options I would NEVER get rid of my DDJ-SX at this point. When talking about firepower Vs. Mobility (A life motto I learned from nutnfancy via the TnP Project) there is nothing better IMO!! You're gonna love it.
E11World 5:00 PM - 17 April, 2014
I regret buying it mostly just because of the way the pads work. Only 6 and mirrored what the hell is that?
This is the way I like to perform and I thought this was going to have better integration.
DJ Eddie mixing & drumming in Vancouver Watchwww.youtube.com

Anyway, here's a list of things I hope they fix/update ASAP
serato.com
pdidy 5:16 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
I regret buying it mostly just because of the way the pads work. Only 6 and mirrored what the hell is that?
This is the way I like to perform and I thought this was going to have better integration.

serato.com

maybe you just need some practice Watchwww.youtube.com
E11World 5:44 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

serato.com

maybe you just need some practice Watchwww.youtube.com

Nice video thanks for sharing but that's not my point. I bought the DDJ-SX mostly so I don't have to bring my Yamaha DTX Multi12 and so I can use one device for all my performing and not being able to use 10 pads makes me regret buying it a little.

I'll upload a video showing something like what you sent in a couple of weeks so you can check it and see if I need practice. We all do but I hope you get my point.
pdidy 5:58 PM - 17 April, 2014
But why would you buy the ddjsx if it doesnt have the features you require ?
E11World 6:25 PM - 17 April, 2014
I thought I could use 8 pads on each side all at the same time (16 sounds). Even though I saw many videos and threads, non mentioned this.
damehype 6:59 PM - 17 April, 2014
Put in a feature request for it. I think that would be cool to allow two independent banks simultaneously
pdidy 7:05 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
I thought I could use 8 pads on each side all at the same time (16 sounds). Even though I saw many videos and threads, non mentioned this.

Well that would make sense because vids focus on what the unit can do....not what it can't do.
pdidy 7:06 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
Put in a feature request for it. I think that would be cool to allow two independent banks simultaneously

Yep
E11World 7:08 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yep

I already did right here serato.com
Joe Fresh 7:10 PM - 17 April, 2014
Been a DDJ-SX owner since day 1.

Not a single regret.
Wizzu 7:21 PM - 17 April, 2014
[quoteThey love it but all agree that the one issue is the mic pre-amp sound quality. uH? I don't. This mic preamp problem borders on urban legend. I for one find no difference in sound with my various mics, between them plugged into my mixers (Allen & Heath, Yamaha, Alesis) or plugged into my DDJ-SX. No difference at all. Clear, clean and articulate all the time.

People like to say and repeat things like that, but where is the real-world test showing that there is anything wrong with the DDJ-SX mic preamp? All I see is people talking without backing their claims with any kind of basic evidence (A/B comparisons, measurements...)
pdidy 8:27 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
[quoteThey love it but all agree that the one issue is the mic pre-amp sound quality. uH? I don't. This mic preamp problem borders on urban legend. I for one find no difference in sound with my various mics, between them plugged into my mixers (Allen & Heath, Yamaha, Alesis) or plugged into my DDJ-SX. No difference at all. Clear, clean and articulate all the time.

People like to say and repeat things like that, but where is the real-world test showing that there is anything wrong with the DDJ-SX mic preamp? All I see is people talking without backing their claims with any kind of basic evidence (A/B comparisons, measurements...)

Incorrect, the issue is/was real ....you were simply lucky enough not to be affected by it..I'm not sure if pioneer fixed it yet.
forums.pioneerdj.com
popnwave 8:37 PM - 17 April, 2014
Love the SX, simplified my setup w/ adding some features I didn't have the room to set up.
pdidy 10:21 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Incorrect, the issue is/was real ....you were simply lucky enough not to be affected by it..I'm not sure if pioneer fixed it yet.
forums.pioneerdj.com

So in technical terms pioneer choose to change the mic input level / input impedance (DJM800 is -52 dBu/3k♎ vs DDJ SX -52dBu/10k♎). This therefore made a lot of mics incompatible with the ddjsx while some were unaffected depending on mic impedance.
Wizzu 5:21 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
So in technical terms pioneer choose to change the mic input level / input impedance (DJM800 is -52 dBu/3k♎ vs DDJ SX -52dBu/10k♎). This therefore made a lot of mics incompatible with the ddjsx while some were unaffected depending on mic impedance.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the link BTW.

So it's not a sound quality issue per se, it's a compatibility issue because of a too "hot" input, which results in distorsion, right? Explains why I didn't get it, reading people complain about the "sound quality"... from their point of view I understand now.

I think it would be very useful to have a compilation of [compatible] vs [not compatible] mic models, do you know if anyone started such a list? I'd like to contribute.
pdidy 9:40 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I stand corrected. Thanks for the link BTW.

So it's not a sound quality issue per se, it's a compatibility issue because of a too "hot" input, which results in distorsion, right? Explains why I didn't get it, reading people complain about the "sound quality"... from their point of view I understand now.

I think it would be very useful to have a compilation of [compatible] vs [not compatible] mic models, do you know if anyone started such a list? I'd like to contribute.

It's quite possible that this May have been fixed but I can't say for sure and it was our forum members that came up with a fix/work around to get it work better this a mic attenuator. (No thanks to pioneer) see vid for more info.....

Watchm.youtube.com
pdidy 9:45 AM - 18 April, 2014
Edit: working better with
Wizzu 10:22 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
It's quite possible that this May have been fixed

According to Pioneer this issue has been fixed with firmware 1.05, in... february 2013.
Quote:

Ver.1.02 -> Ver.1.05 (19 February, 2013 Update)
- Improved the operability of the performance pads in the SAMPLER VELOCITY MODE.
- Reduced audio distortion which may occur with excessively large microphone input.

My DDJ-SX came with firmware 1.07 (bought august 2013), this could explain why I never experienced anything wrong with the mic inputs.

Which begs the question: are there people still complaining *now* about the mic input? And if so which firmware version are they running? Would the issue just be an old/fixed one, that merely gets repeated on the net long after there's not more reason to (like so many obsolete stuff repeated on the net)? Mmmmhhhh....
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:03 AM - 18 April, 2014
If you read it says "REDUCED" not fixed! As it is a hardware spec! And the issue is still there! Again some ppl think it sounds fine and other use mics that spec match. Sm58s are what have the biggest issues. There is a very long thread on this subject!
pdidy 11:07 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
It's quite possible that this May have been fixed

According to Pioneer this issue has been fixed with firmware 1.05, in... february 2013.
Quote:
Ver.1.02 -> Ver.1.05 (19 February, 2013 Update)
- Improved the operability of the performance pads in the SAMPLER VELOCITY MODE.
- Reduced audio distortion which may occur with excessively large microphone input.

My DDJ-SX came with firmware 1.07 (bought august 2013), this could explain why I never experienced anything wrong with the mic inputs.

Which begs the question: are there people still complaining *now* about the mic input? And if so which firmware version are they running? Would the issue just be an old/fixed one, that merely gets repeated on the net long after there's not more reason to (like so many obsolete stuff repeated on the net)? Mmmmhhhh....

There will alway be those ignorant people who regurgitate misinformation for unknown reasons. A lot of these people just like to complain for the sake of complaining.

Then there's the possibility that this fix did not work for everyone. . I have not researched this recently so I can't confirm. Did I mention pioneer initially denied there even being an issue while blaming the users for improper use.....smh
pdidy 11:20 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
If you read it says "REDUCED" not fixed! As it is a hardware spec! And the issue is still there! Again some ppl think it sounds fine and other use mics that spec match. Sm58s are what have the biggest issues. There is a very long thread on this subject!

And the 58 just so happens to be the most popular mic ever.

This then validates reason for the ongoing complaints.

Reduced and fix are quite different......
Wizzu 11:20 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
. Did I mention pioneer initially denied there even being an issue while blaming the users for improper use.....smh

That's so not their style.

Just bing ironic of course... ;-)

I guess this has to do with the japanese corporate culture. Which has good sides (wanting to be proud of making excellent products so going to great lenghts to achieve excellence) and bad sides (denial of failure and imperfection, even the slightest ones).
Wizzu 11:30 AM - 18 April, 2014
SM58? Happens to be my main mic (no surprise there). And zero issue for me... baffling!

I'd also be curious as to which input these mics are plugged in as well (channel 3/XLR or channel 4/6.3 jack).... I for one always use the channel 3/XLR input for my "regular" mics. Using the 4/Jack input only for AKG transmitters.
Wizzu 11:31 AM - 18 April, 2014
I meant AKG receivers. :-o
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:36 AM - 18 April, 2014
there is a HUGE thread on this please go read it and not drag all this up again here! it has been talked to death! and the spec just does not match for an sm58 full stop. if YOU think yous sounds fine then wicked good on you.
Wizzu 11:47 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
there is a HUGE thread on this please go read it and not drag all this up again here! it has been talked to death! and the spec just does not match for an sm58 full stop. if YOU think yous sounds fine then wicked good on you.
No need to be like that...

I didn't drag the topic here, others have. I just replied.

And I don't "THINK" my SM58 works fine with my DDJ-SX. It simply does.
I just made the comparison again with my Allen & Heath FX10, zero difference in sound.

Specs do not match for SM58? Could you at least point to the source of this "info"? Still skeptical.
Wizzu 1:19 PM - 18 April, 2014
... as it does in a regular mixer.
Wizzu 1:21 PM - 18 April, 2014
Mispost. Sorry. I just lo
Wizzu 1:22 PM - 18 April, 2014
Damn! My browser is playing games on me, sorry for the dadaist spam, lol...