Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato DJ is not reading my iTunes library

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark Mixtrack Pro
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJPhillyB 5:52 PM - 26 December, 2012
I just got Mixtrack Pro and installed DJ Intro and it recognized my Itunes library/playlists with no problems.

I purchased and upgraded to Serato DJ and upon opening the software, I see the message "iTunes library not found".

I also have Scratch Live and my Itunes library is recognized there without any problems.

I've followed one of the suggestions to select all my songs in iTunes and select "Get Info".... no change.

Then I created a new iTunes Library.xml file and imported all the songs from the original xml file... no change in Serato DJ. However, no when I go back into DJ Intro, I'm getting the following error and the software locks up on me and shuts down: "Not enough storage is available to process this command"

Here are my PC specs -> PC Intel Core(TM) i7 2.30 GHz 8GB ram

Any recommendations?
DJPhillyB 5:53 PM - 26 December, 2012
Btw, my OS is Windows 7 64 bit - sp1; not 32 bit.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:40 AM - 31 December, 2012
Hey DJPhillyB,

Thanks for your information. Do you use an external drive for your other files or to store your iTunes music?

Do you think you could send your iTunes Music Library.xml file to me? You can use the "attach a file" button on this help request.

Thanks
10:14 AM, 31 Dec 2012
DJPhillyB attached a file: iTunes Library.xml
Download· Permalink
DJPhillyB 10:42 AM - 31 December, 2012
Hey Martin,

Thanks for replying to my help request.

I've attached the file as you requested. I think I may see a couple of potential problems.

1.My library file is named "iTunes Library.xml", not "iTunes Music Library.xml" as you requested. I do see a "Copy of iTunes Music Library.xml" in the same directory, but it has a created & modified date of 6/30/2011.

2. I just realized I have a "iTunes" folder AND a "iTunes1" folder. The "iTunes1" folder was created on 12/24/2012. That's around the time I rebuilt my Itunes Library following the directions on found on another Serato thread.

Some other observations:

A couple of years ago, I shifted my personal file management of my music and let iTunes copy and organize my music files/folders. It seems 99% of my music is under the 'iTunes' folder in the directory of [../Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music].

Meanwhile, music I've added to the Itunes library in the past two days is appearing under the 'iTunes1' folder in the directory of [..Music/iTunes1/iTunes Media/Music].

Not sure if any of these things is what's causing Serato DJ to not see my ITunes library, but Serato Intro and Scratch Live are still readying the library with all my music (old and new). Keep in mind, Serato DJ is crashing while reading the iTunes library.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
DJPhillyB 10:42 AM - 31 December, 2012
Hey Martin,

Thanks for replying to my help request.

I've attached the file as you requested. I think I may see a couple of potential problems.

1.My library file is named "iTunes Library.xml", not "iTunes Music Library.xml" as you requested. I do see a "Copy of iTunes Music Library.xml" in the same directory, but it has a created & modified date of 6/30/2011.

2. I just realized I have a "iTunes" folder AND a "iTunes1" folder. The "iTunes1" folder was created on 12/24/2012. That's around the time I rebuilt my Itunes Library following the directions on found on another Serato thread.

Some other observations:

A couple of years ago, I shifted my personal file management of my music and let iTunes copy and organize my music files/folders. It seems 99% of my music is under the 'iTunes' folder in the directory of [../Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music].

Meanwhile, music I've added to the Itunes library in the past two days is appearing under the 'iTunes1' folder in the directory of [..Music/iTunes1/iTunes Media/Music].

Not sure if any of these things is what's causing Serato DJ to not see my ITunes library, but Serato Intro and Scratch Live are still readying the library with all my music (old and new). Keep in mind, Serato DJ is crashing while reading the iTunes library.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
DJPhillyB 10:44 AM - 31 December, 2012
Not sure why my message was posted several times. Sorry about that.

-
DJPhillyB 10:56 AM - 31 December, 2012
Regarding external hard drives, I do have a 32GB flash drive that has a "_Serato_" folder and a subset of my musical library. I use it when I perform off another dj's laptop that's using Scratch Live.

But when I perform with my own laptop, I only use the music from the pc's local hard drive.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again.

-
DJPhillyB 12:26 AM - 5 January, 2013
Hi, Should I start a new thread?
DJPhillyB 9:28 PM - 5 January, 2013
Bump?
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:38 PM - 8 January, 2013
Sorry for the delayed response, we have been fairly busy with the support traffic coming through over the holiday period.

Please do not start another help request.

Thanks for providing the file, and the information about your setup.

The first thing that is unusual is the fact that the file is not correctly named. Serato DJ could not find your library also on my computer, however after I renamed this file to "iTunes Music Library.xml" it read it without problem.

Make sure you do this with BOTH Serato DJ and iTunes closed, as there may be some complications when having them open.

Let me know if this helps you, and thanks for your patience.
DJPhillyB 3:02 AM - 9 January, 2013
That seems to have done it! Thank you sooooo much!
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:24 AM - 9 January, 2013
Great news :)

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other assistance.
DJPhillyB 9:50 PM - 24 February, 2013
Hi,

It appears the rename of 'iTunes Library.xml' to 'iTunes Music Library.xml' was just a temporary fix.

As I mentioned before, my iTunes library/media is being stored in two different places:

* Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml --> 12/24/2012 date created/modified
* Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\ xxxxxx (music folders/files)

-- Serato DJ is reading the library from this iTunes folder

* Music\iTunes1\iTunes Library.xml --2/24/2013 date created/modified
* Music\iTunes1\iTunes Media\Music\ xxxxxx (music folders/files)

-- Scratch Live is using the library from iTunes1

The iTunes application is updating the library file under iTunes1, not iTunes.

I tried renaming the xml file under the iTunes1 folder however, when I re-opened the iTunes app, it recreated the xml file as 'iTunes Library.xml'.

So even though my media is split up between the 2 folders and the xml file is under the iTunes1 folder with a file name of 'iTunes Library.xml', ScratchLive seems to be able to read it fine.

Serato DJ seems to only work with a 'iTunes Music Library.xml' under the iTunes folder.

Any suggestions on how I can get both Scratch Live and Serato DJ to read the same iTunes xml library/file?
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:38 AM - 26 February, 2013
Hey DJPhillyB,

That seems awfully complicated. How did you end up with iTunes and iTunes one folders?

It seems pretty unusual that Scratch Live and Serato DJ are reading two different libraries, are you positive this is happening? It really shouldn't be happening.

Perhaps try this though:

1. Close all programs (be sure to close iTunes and Serato software)
2. Move both of your iTunes folders "iTunes" and "iTunes1" to your desktop.
3. Now open iTunes and it should be empty. Follow the instructions in this article: serato.com under the section "creating a new iTunes database"

You will need to select the iTunes Music Library.xml from one of your folders on the desktop (the one that works best) when you doing step 6.

4. I would then probably recommend going through "rescanning your id3 tags in iTunes" as well.

Let me know what happens :)
DJPhillyB 3:55 AM - 27 February, 2013
Hey Martin,

I think I ended up with two iTunes folders/databases by following those same instructions you directed me to (though I'm guessing I didn't follow them exactly).

Before I attempt this, can you recommend where my iTunes music should reside? You said to move both iTunes folders to my desktop, but wouldn't that move the music files in the sub-folders as well?

It seems all the new music I import into iTunes is being copied to the 2nd iTunes folder, so I have my music in two separate locations. That being said, iTunes seems to have no problem playing music from both locations.

Remember how I said Scratch Live and Serato DJ read two different libraries? Both libraries have music files in both iTunes folders.

For the record, Scratch Live is reading the current library that iTunes is using and resides in the iTunes1 folder.

Serato DJ will only read the xml file in the 'iTunes' folder and it has to be named 'iTunes Music Library'. Scratch Live is reading the xml file named just 'iTunes library' in the iTunes1 folder (which again is the current one).

I know this is a bit confusing. Before I start moving folders and recreating library files, I just want to understand exactly what will happen to my music files. Right now, iTunes and Scratch Live are working fine. I bought Serato DJ for my smaller gigs where I wouldn't be using turntables and just rock a controller. My first gig with the controller/Serato DJ is this Friday, so I'd love to get this figured out by then.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:15 AM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Before I attempt this, can you recommend where my iTunes music should reside? You said to move both iTunes folders to my desktop, but wouldn't that move the music files in the sub-folders as well?

Sorry, you are completely right, this is foolish of me to suggest!

Right, I think essentially we need to combine your two iTunes libraries.

If we got rid of the one that Scratch Live is currently reading, I think it will most likely then default to reading the same one that Serato DJ is reading ( I am still dumbfounded as to how this happening)

This looks like a nice walkthrough that might be worth trying? www.chriswrites.com

If I am honest, this is some territory with iTunes I havent explored before. I would recommend backing up both your iTunes folders and music to an external drive before we try anything.

I am thinking ultimately, if you consolidate the libraries, and have your whole music library firstly, successfully showing in iTunes, then we just want to get that library to create a new xml, or just make sure it is called "iTunes Music Library.xml"

What are your thoughts?
DJPhillyB 8:39 PM - 28 February, 2013
Success!!!!

Based on the info in the article you referenced and your latest recommendations, I've got everything working.

I consolidated my music files by changing my media folder location within iTunes to "...\Music\iTunes\ iTunes Media". (it was previously going to itunes1)

I was prompted with the following option " Would you like itunes to move and rename the files in your new itunes media folder to match the "Keep itunes media folder organized' preference". ---> I selected YES

I then went to 'File -> Organize Library' and selected 'Consolidate files'.

I now had ONE location where all my music was under the 'iTunes' folder.

When I opened iTunes however, I saw it didn't have the latest playlists I had created or the music files I had recently imported in the past 2 months.

Close, but not there yet...

I then copied over the 'itunes library.itl' & 'itunes library.xml' files from the iTunes1 folder (which is what iTunes and Scratch Live were using). The last step was to rename 'itunes library.xml' to 'iTunes Music library.xml'.

I checked and ran several tests and iTunes, Scratch Live and Serato DJ are all using my one and only itunes library!!!

Thank you again so much much for your help and patience. I can now make my final preparations for my gig tomorrow and be confident that everything will work as expected!

Serato customer service and support is the BEST!

Thanks Martin! I really appreciate your help!

-Phil
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:11 PM - 28 February, 2013
Oh man, im really stoked too! Thats a great result for what seemed like quite a sticky situation.

I really appreciate you letting me know the steps you took and how it ended up, I have definitely gained something from this too, so glad to be of service.

Don't hesitate to post back here if you ever need any other help.

Thanks again Phil!