Serato DJ General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ software and controllers

DDJ-SX Modifications

[O/][iii][O/] 11:39 PM - 11 November, 2012
If I wind up keeping the DDJ-SX, here's a few mods I'll be doing right away:

• Plastic rotary knobs (except browser selector) will all be replaced with high-quality, machined billet aluminum knobs for better feel and better visibility in dark environments

• Channels 1, 2, 3 and 4 fader caps will all be replaced with high-quality, matte white rubberized caps with black indicators for better feel and better visibility in dark environments

• Jog dials' top surfaces (except center sections) will be covered with matte black vinyl to eliminate reflective glare and fingerprints original shiny silver surfaces exhibit

• Crossfader will be completely removed and replaced with matching black anodized aluminum cover plate to get it out of the way since it will never be used

Quick mock up: i802.photobucket.com

Any other DDJ-SX owner have any mods planned?
DjFuentes82 1:40 AM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:

• Jog dials' top surfaces (except center sections) will be covered with matte black vinyl to eliminate reflective glare and fingerprints original shiny silver surfaces exhibit

Keep in mind the Jog Wheels are ecstatic sensitive like the iPhone which would mean the cover would defeat that purpose.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:21 AM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Keep in mind the Jog Wheels are ecstatic sensitive like the iPhone which would mean the cover would defeat that purpose.

I don't scratch so this is inconsequential to me.
Lightning 2:59 AM - 12 November, 2012
I'm going to try and figure out a way to tighten up the pitch faders. I'v bumped the right fader several times by pitch bending the jog. Still haven't figured out what needs to be done to the cross fader yet, something just doesn't feel 100% about it.
[O/][iii][O/] 3:44 AM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BTW, not sure if it's true or not, but I've been told that NS6's jogs use the same type of touch sensitive technology as the DDJ-SX's and that covering them wouldn't work either, but there was zero noticeable difference when I covered them with same matte vinyl. Will report back findings if/when I get the DDJ-SX jogs modded so those that do scratch will have info if considering same mod.
[O/][iii][O/] 3:44 AM - 12 November, 2012
Here's a pic of the NS6 jogs in matte black vinyl i802.photobucket.com
DjFuentes82 11:25 AM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BTW, not sure if it's true or not, but I've been told that NS6's jogs use the same type of touch sensitive technology as the DDJ-SX's and that covering them wouldn't work either, but there was zero noticeable difference when I covered them with same matte vinyl. Will report back findings if/when I get the DDJ-SX jogs modded so those that do scratch will have info if considering same mod.

NS6 are touch sensitive, not ecstatic sensitive, but either way if you don't scratch then it doesn't matter to you.
BTW I like the NS6 with the vinyl cover..
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:46 AM - 12 November, 2012
you can put a cover/screen protector on an iphone screen and it works 100% fine! just saying!
phatbob 11:49 AM - 12 November, 2012
Screw metal knobs... I'm gonna stick DJ Tech Tools Chroma Caps on mine, for even more rubbery goodness. The rubbery-er the better as far as I'm concerned.

Not the faders though, always hard plastic or metal for those.
DjFuentes82 1:59 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
you can put a cover/screen protector on an iphone screen and it works 100% fine! just saying!

As you're probably aware screen protectors for iPhones are not made of vinyl. All I'm saying is it might lose sensitivity by putting vinyl on top of the jog wheels if it works at all.
DJ Dynamight 7:12 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
I'm going to try and figure out a way to tighten up the pitch faders. I'v bumped the right fader several times by pitch bending the jog. Still haven't figured out what needs to be done to the cross fader yet, something just doesn't feel 100% about it.

same here with the right side pitch fader.
feelthemusic 6:24 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:

The pitch fader, to me, is the only fader on the thing that has a quality feel to it.
As for pitch bending with the platters: I am having a much easier time spinning the platter with my finger(s) on the plastic center, since that does not activate scratching. My modification plan would be to icrease that center area a little with some kind stick on film. I agree that pitch bend on the outer edge of the platter is very crowded, so I do it from the middle, and am quite happy with that. A better crossfader would be nice, any suggestions on what would be plug-and play?

Mark
involver 3:07 PM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:

As for pitch bending with the platters: I am having a much easier time spinning the platter with my finger(s) on the plastic center, since that does not activate scratching.

Can't you just turn off Vinyl mode and then use the whole platter for pitch bending?
Qoolee Kid 3:47 PM - 14 November, 2012
I would like to loosen up the line/sampler faders and tighten up the pitch faders.

The x-fader feels pretty good for a stock fader (especially when compared to the fader in the DJM-400). It clicks a little bit too loud for my liking, but I'm not about to spend another $175 for an Innofader Pro. The SX x-fader cuts pretty good as is.

I'm on the lookout for a vinyl skin for the SX (maybe 12inchskinz.com?) and maybe some replacement fader caps and rotary knobs.
DJMJChicago 4:01 PM - 21 November, 2012
For those interested in a skin...
Got confirmation from Jared at 12inchskinz that they will start offering the DDJ-SX skin the first week of December. I've ordered from them in the past and they are top notch. Service and product. I had skins for my CDJs and my Nexus mixer. Not vinyl... thin laminate. Excellent print and feel. I can go on....

Chroma Caps
DJTT is offering Black Friday deals now. Got an email this morning. 15% off many items but the caps are included in the deal too. Also, use promo code DJTTBlackFriday112612 to take off another 5% the total. I've heard the knobs are OK to use but the faders won't work. YMMV.
phatbob 8:10 PM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
For those interested in a skin...
Got confirmation from Jared at 12inchskinz that they will start offering the DDJ-SX skin the first week of December. I've ordered from them in the past and they are top notch. Service and product. I had skins for my CDJs and my Nexus mixer. Not vinyl... thin laminate. Excellent print and feel. I can go on....

+1

I'll be ordering the day he puts them on the site. A class act.

Quote:
Chroma Caps
DJTT is offering Black Friday deals now. Got an email this morning. 15% off many items but the caps are included in the deal too. Also, use promo code DJTTBlackFriday112612 to take off another 5% the total. I've heard the knobs are OK to use but the faders won't work. YMMV.

Already replaced my EQ knobs, just ordered more for the filters and FX. Love 'em.
DJMJChicago 8:16 PM - 21 November, 2012
phatbob,

Any chance of a pic? Curious to see them before I order.
DJCheLu 8:38 PM - 21 November, 2012
+1^^
Sparksta 1:03 PM - 9 December, 2012
do any of your knobs wiggle at all?

Some of my knobs wiggle pretty hard already after 3 weeks.

never moved it after setting up!

fx knob 1 is extreme...
CalVic 8:25 AM - 11 December, 2012
I'd like to see a picture of the knobs too!
DJMJChicago 2:47 PM - 11 December, 2012
Polanka 8:27 PM - 4 February, 2013
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:27 AM - 5 February, 2013

Neat.
DJ Baby Raj 5:43 AM - 7 February, 2013
I think it looks sexy stock.
ivan zilch 7:39 AM - 7 February, 2013
i want those BLOOD RED dj tech tools chroma caps (the fat one) on the filters

and only the filters

that would look SO SICKKKKKKK
DjBoozie 5:55 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:

• Plastic rotary knobs (except browser selector) will all be replaced with high-quality, machined billet aluminum knobs for better feel and better visibility in dark environments

• Channels 1, 2, 3 and 4 fader caps will all be replaced with high-quality, matte white rubberized caps with black indicators for better feel and better visibility in dark environments

• Crossfader will be completely removed and replaced with matching black anodized aluminum cover plate to get it out of the way since it will never be used

Where did you get these knobs from?
[O/][iii][O/] 2:40 PM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Where did you get these knobs from?

Rane. They are the same ones that come with Rotary Empath, MP2016 and XP2016.
LJBoogie 9:21 PM - 19 October, 2013
Do you or someone you know do custom hard faceplates (Not the Stick on but Hard plate) for the DDJ-sx?
deejdave 7:49 AM - 20 October, 2013
No they don't know anyone who does that..................
LJBoogie 4:03 PM - 20 October, 2013
fudge! I shipped my DDJ-sx from Afghanistan. I had a Skin cover on it I can only assume that the heat shank skin. and the weakest part of the metal was near the QUE pads because both side of the controller warped in the same spot. Just trying to fix it.
deejdave 7:13 PM - 20 October, 2013
You will be able to get the actual case/frame from Pioneer at a licensed Pioneer parts re-seller. Google for the crossfader and follow the breadcrumbs to the stores that sell all of the pioneer parts. They will have part lists and blown up (autopsy type) pictures labeling each and every part the DDJ-SX has and you can order accordingly. You'd be suprised at how quick it can add up but at also how cheap they are on an individual basis.

FOR INSTANCE - I have purchased a ruined CDJ-2000 bought the parts I needed for $65 total and sold the CDJ-2000 as near mint. BOOM!!