Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Can someone please tell me... Mic question...

DJ_Noodles 6:35 PM - 5 November, 2012
Are you able to record your mic input into the Serato DJ recording? I have not been able to get it to work, though its a feature that works on Serato + 57, and itch + controllers and mic... Anyone?
djrockwell 3:22 AM - 6 November, 2012
i went ahead and did a test for you. the "mix" recording function does not include the signal from the microphone input.

i also tested the phono input, which is also negative so i would asume the same from the cd/line inputs

hopefully this will be implemented soon through a software update.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:26 AM - 6 November, 2012
Hey DJ_Noodles,

Unfortunately this functionality didn't quite make it in version 1.0, however it is planned to be in a future version of Serato DJ. This would also apply to analogue inputs as djrockwell mentioned.

Cheers.
djrockwell 4:34 AM - 6 November, 2012
phew *sigh of relief
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:41 AM - 6 November, 2012
Heh, yes, definitely not completely forgotten about!
DJ Dynamight 11:38 PM - 11 November, 2012
Thanks Martin, I was wondering the same thing.
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:56 AM - 13 November, 2012
Perhaps I will move this across to the feature suggestion area, although on our radar already, perhaps it will be good to gather other users looking for the same feature to gauge the priority/importantance.

Thanks!
7:57 AM, 13 Nov 2012
Discussion moved to Serato DJ Feature Suggestions
DJ Dynamight 3:31 AM - 14 November, 2012
I really hope this will be considered a priority. Being unable to record the mic and analogue inputs is a huge disappointment.
Young Lion 7:14 PM - 15 November, 2012
This needs to happen asap. Its the only reason I brought it. Will send back if no update
XRM5 5:20 PM - 3 January, 2013
But just to confirm, there are no problems using external mic/CD/turntable inputs while running Serato DJ on other channels, it's just that the software can't record those inputs yet?
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:53 AM - 8 January, 2013
Correct :)
spoof 10:11 PM - 14 January, 2013
I like the no mic recording feature. Please if this is upgraded to record the mic, can there be an option to turn this off :)
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:46 AM - 15 January, 2013
That would be handy actually ^ Good point, definitely should be an option.
DJ RJ 12:11 AM - 16 January, 2013
+1

It would be great to have the option to record with or without mic!!!
Nyquist Theory 12:44 AM - 23 January, 2013
I couldn't agree more! I upgraded to the full version of Serato DJ because mainly because of the ability to record straight to my laptop.

I think the user should be able to decide if they want the mic input to be included in their recording. The ability to record your sets should include the ability to record your voice when you're pumping up the crowd!
dpetree 6:02 PM - 23 January, 2013
Yea,i would not like that option, so as long as you can turn it off. its all good

I would rather record my mix with no mic overlays...This way i can make a mix while dj'n and the recorded mix doesnt have me hype'n the crowd and stuff.

I can put my DJ drops in the mix later
stoopjo 11:53 PM - 14 March, 2013
I was able to record all external sources in Itch when I owned the NS6. I sold the Numark after 3 months in anticipation of the DDJ SX. I consider the ability to record all external sources in DJ as an essential feature so I can use my vinyl collection in my mixes and start digitalizing it.

Please please please Serato, make this a priority...

Looking fwd!

PS: English is not my native speech so pardon my French
DJ RJ 4:28 AM - 18 March, 2013
+ 1
DJ GSOUND 11:34 PM - 13 November, 2013
+ inifinty
Nyquist Theory 11:44 PM - 13 November, 2013
Serato, do you have any update on this feature? The inability to record mic and other inputs through the software is a serious flaw. Just add the option of Mix + Mic. I have the Numark Mixtrack Pro, and it definitely doesn't feel like the full paid version without the option to record the mic input!
ChaseLivingston 11:45 PM - 11 December, 2013
I agree I just spent 20 mins trouble shooting why I couldn't record the mic, it was really the only time I have had recently to record this demo, shot.

Please fix in next update,..
Dj rick A 3:20 PM - 22 July, 2014
Any luck on this yet its been over a year still can't record mic input
Nyquist Theory 3:41 PM - 22 July, 2014
Ditto on that, Rick A.

I've gotten no response on this, despite seeing this in multiple threads. Got a new controller (Reloop Terminal Mix 8), and I see no option for "Mic + Mix".

I know it's available on certain controllers (DDJ-SZ, for example), but this should be standard across the board.

Here's a link to another thread I started on this topic: serato.com
spoof 3:50 PM - 22 July, 2014
Serato has soooooo many faults. I love it when it's working but that seems to be 50/50 and the issues don't seem to get resolved. The mic recording is just 1 of them.
Makes me sad, still at least you can have a thousand effects on every update :/ I'd personally like the issues fixed not more things to go wrong. Ooooh sorry rant over.

Stand at BPM this year so going to go there and confront the poor person who's on that
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:14 AM - 23 July, 2014
Hey guys,

You should see some improvements in this area with the next update. Its very dependent on what the hardware allows though, and what type of audio channels they provide to the software. What hardware you using?

Do you specifically want record just the mic or aux channel only? Or is it more about including those channels amongst the "mix" recording?

Quote:
Got a new controller (Reloop Terminal Mix 8), and I see no option for "Mic + Mix".

You should be able to record the mic/aux signal included in the mix for this controller in an update coming soon! :)

Quote:
Stand at BPM this year so going to go there and confront the poor person who's on that

Keen as to chat about the issues you want resolved. I won't be there, but whoever you talk to, tell them you spoke to Martin on the forum.
spoof 6:55 AM - 23 July, 2014
Will do Martin, nice to see someone is reading and answering some issues. The big one tho is 64bit support so we can hold our big library's please. Surely it's time for that
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:08 AM - 23 July, 2014
We still have a bit of work to do to get to 64 bit, but its on our roadmap. In the meantime, we made a considerable effort to reduce memory consumption of libraries in Serato DJ. Have you tried the beta available? Does it load your library?

serato.com
spoof 8:27 AM - 23 July, 2014
I've not tried the beta as I seem to have fixed it by downloading a free patch to fool the p.c. It takes a 32 bit programme and makes it act like a 64.
It's been working for me for about 3months now fine but I would like an official release as this is a work around and I dare not to update to any other version if iTunes or serato just incase. Does the beta do the same thing?
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:10 AM - 24 July, 2014
I understand and its cool if you are comfortable with running it with the patch as is.

The beta does not do the same thing, the difference is:

- The beta has includes development work which actually reduces the memory your library uses in the software, thus hopefully reducing the memory usage to sit safely under the limit that 32 bit applications have. Many users have had success with it so far.
- The patch almost does the complete opposite, by extending the amount of memory Serato DJ is allowed to access, so that its "ok" that Serato DJ uses that amount of memory for the library, and doesn't crash.

The whole purpose of the beta, is so that people can test it and provide feedback as to whether it works well or not, and then we can feel more confident about putting this into an official release and not introducing any horrible bugs that outweigh the benefits of the memory reduction that has been implemented.

Like I said though, if you don't feel comfortable trying the beta then thats cool - but any bit of participation does help us get closer to releasing it officially. At this point we do plan to include the work in the next release and we will be opening the next release to a wider public beta and include some new features etc, so you could participate then if you like :)
spoof 6:52 AM - 24 July, 2014
Great thanks for the info, lovely to have someone to speak to and get some info, even if it is perhaps on the incorrect thread.

I'd love to try the beta but to be honest I'm a little scared to use it just incase it was to crash mid set and destroy my everyone's evening.
Can the beta be run alongside the Version I am running so I have a backup to load quickly if the worst happened?
Do you think the beta and patch would work together for a a super programme lol

Thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:24 PM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
I'd love to try the beta but to be honest I'm a little scared to use it just incase it was to crash mid set and destroy my everyone's evening.

I totally understand, in fact I wouldn't recommend using any new software straight away on the job. Whether it be new DJ software, or even a brand new operating system.

Quote:
Can the beta be run alongside the Version I am running so I have a backup to load quickly if the worst happened?

Yes you can, heres a how-to: serato.com

But honestly as I said - don't use it out at a gig if you don't feel comfortable man, atleast jam with it a few times at home before even thinking about it. I am not saying this because its unstable, but because I think everyone should take their time to get familiar with the workflow and feel good about it.

Overall its a very similar experience to Scratch Live, but there are some subtle changes that I think you will need to pick up on in your own time rather than on stage or whatever! Just let me know if you need any tips or have questions as you try it out - I am happy to help, feel free to private message me if you like.

Quote:
Do you think the beta and patch would work together for a a super programme lol

Haha, I guess so. The beta will have lower memory usage with your library and the patch will allow you to use more memory if you still need it. But honestly, I would just disable the patch first and try the beta - only use the patch if you still need to after that. We put a lot of effort into getting that memory usage down, so we'd love for people to put it to the test without the patch. If there are still problems we'd like to know so we can continue improving the software :)
spoof 8:15 PM - 26 July, 2014
Thanks for all your help on this Martin. I'll try the beta and see how it goes, looking forward to using serato worry free one day
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:58 PM - 27 July, 2014
No problems dude, I hope so too :)
crono piano 5:17 AM - 12 January, 2017
Is the Roland Dj 808 able to record external input or the mic. If is yes, can you choose the channel you go throw ?
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:17 PM - 12 January, 2017
The mic does not route through the 4 DJ channels, it has its own separate channel. In Serato DJ you can record the following as separate sources:

Mix
Input 1
Input 2
Input 3
Input 4
Roland TR-S
Mic
Video Mix

I am fairly certain that the mic will also expose itself as a separate input to other audio software (e.g a DAW) if you wanted to record it outside of Serato DJ.

If I recall correctly I once set up Ableton Live where I recorded the mic input and master mix on two separate tracks, so I could treat them differently post the recording (I was making a radio podcast type thing).

Hope that answers your question!
smiDJit 2:05 PM - 18 January, 2017
Greetings. I'm trying to figure out how to record a set with MIC using my Pioneer DDJ SB2 and Serato DJ. I'm able to record the set with music only without issues but I can't seem to incorporate the MIC.
Can anyone assist me with this? Thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:29 PM - 18 January, 2017
Did reply to your personal message smiDJit, but unfortunately I believe that is not within the capability of the DDJ-SB2. The mic is externally mixed on the hardware only and does not get put through Serato DJ.

Let me know if that makes sense.