Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

The Bridge

admiraljonesy 3:40 AM - 5 November, 2012
"The Bridge is currently not available in Serato DJ."

Ok then. I would like it to be a feature because this only line given by Serato gives us no idea that it is coming or planned.

What is the Missing Feature?:
serato.com

How would I like to see it implemented?:
Just like SSL.

Why I'd like the Feature?:
I want to merge live DJ playing with prepared sets.
I own Ableton and a APC40.
I own several .vst's and other hardware locked software I would like to play though my Serato DJ device's audio routing for playback and DJ hardware pre-cueing.
I'd like to haul less equipment around to achieve an Ableton/Serato setup.
I want to record my sets with Mixtape.
djjoefresh 4:25 AM - 5 November, 2012
I have a Novation Launchpad, it'd be awesome to be able to use it with Serato DJ and Ableton.
Dj Wunder 5:00 AM - 5 November, 2012
+1
serkan 6:20 AM - 5 November, 2012
+1
signs 9:31 AM - 5 November, 2012
+1
nfw 10:33 AM - 5 November, 2012
+1
DJ-Sven 12:58 PM - 5 November, 2012
I think, it is not so necessary to use the Bridge functions for playback, because the Sampler has enough possibilitys, but it would be nice, if Serato DJ could record in the .als Format with all functions (Fader, Filter, etc.)
admiraljonesy 3:48 PM - 5 November, 2012
Perhaps playback is the wrong word. In a simpler form, I want my Ableton sounds to be playable, controllable and pre-cueable through Serato DJ's mixer functionality.
DJ Sonny D 4:18 PM - 9 November, 2012
I was excited to buy the DDJ-SX with Serato DJ but I need The Bridge. Aside from the audio processing capabilities and the ability to use VSTs, I need the midi sequencing ability to control LightJockey and Resolume. I will buy it as soon as The Bridge becomes available.
XRM5 9:30 PM - 9 November, 2012
This was already promised for the now-dead Itch so I hope it can happen as soon as possible.
Ed Philips 12:27 PM - 17 November, 2012
+10 but I would mainly use it for audio clip playback
DJ-Sven 1:15 PM - 17 November, 2012
Why you all want Ableton for Playback? I think, the SP6 has enough possibilities for using Samples in your mix and the sync functions are more easy to use than in Ableton, because you don't have to warp the Samples a second time.
DJ Sonny D 2:23 PM - 17 November, 2012
There are a lot of playback features in Ableton that the SP6 simply can't process. Dummy clips, side chain compression, pitch decay, etc.
DJ-Sven 2:56 PM - 17 November, 2012
I know, that Ableton has a lot of features, but in a normal DJ-Set there are a lot of possibilitys with the DDJ-SX and Serato DJ... and if that's not enough, you can switch completly to Ableton without using Serato.
DJ Sonny D 3:07 PM - 17 November, 2012
Scratching is really hard to do in Ableton.
XRM5 3:29 PM - 17 November, 2012
There's also Max for Live. The Bridge lets Serato communicate w/Max, which has crazy potential. I've seen some great uses of it already.

The Bridge already exists, so we shouldn't have to justify why it needs to be in Serato DJ.

It just needs to be there.
DJ Sonny D 3:36 PM - 17 November, 2012
Quote:
The Bridge already exists, so we shouldn't have to justify why it needs to be in Serato DJ.

It just needs to be there.

+1
Ed Philips 5:00 PM - 17 November, 2012
Try putting an off beat vocal in the sp 6 that's 16 bars long or so while mixing 2 other records together without sync.

Good luck

That's why I need The Bridge
DJ Sonny D 5:41 PM - 19 November, 2012
Need now.
phatbob 6:05 PM - 19 November, 2012
Quote:
Try putting an off beat vocal in the sp 6 that's 16 bars long or so while mixing 2 other records together without sync.

Good luck

That's absolutely no easier to do in the Bridge than it is in the SP6. What are you talking about?
Ed Philips 7:40 PM - 19 November, 2012
You can warp it in Live, so it will always be in sync.
Putting it in the sp6 doesn't have the possibilities of Live.
phatbob 10:32 PM - 19 November, 2012
Quote:
You can beatgrid it in Serato DJ, so it will always be in sync.
XRM5 11:03 PM - 19 November, 2012
Not the same, Bob.

Don't tell Live users why they don't need Live. I don't tell you how to do whatever you do.
phatbob 12:38 AM - 20 November, 2012
I use Ableton every single day, I'm very familiar with how it works.

The guy said:

Quote:

Good luck

Please explain to me how THAT specifically, cannot be achieved in the SP6.
XRM5 2:30 AM - 20 November, 2012
I'm thinking more about being able to launch dummy clips w/video mixer and light automation (plus M4L interaction) that sync to Serato when I think about bringing back the Bridge.

And you know it's way easier to warp a Marvin Gaye accapella in Live than to beatgrid it in Serato. That kinda thing is what I thought of when he said "off beat vocal." Something with pauses, stretched-out drum fills & bars of 2/4 after every chorus that speeds up from beginning to end.
phatbob 9:12 AM - 20 November, 2012
Quote:
I'm thinking more about being able to launch dummy clips w/video mixer and light automation (plus M4L interaction) that sync to Serato when I think about bringing back the Bridge.

Very cool. But all that we need to achieve that is midi clock output. Not the Bridge.

Quote:
And you know it's way easier to warp a Marvin Gaye accapella in Live than to beatgrid it in Serato. That kinda thing is what I thought of when he said "off beat vocal." Something with pauses, stretched-out drum fills & bars of 2/4 after every chorus that speeds up from beginning to end.

A track with different time signatures and fills isn't going to warp to a 4/4 beat in Ableton without sounding shit either though. So an acapella like that would need re-editing anyway, at which point you might as well render it out and use in the SP6 anyway.

I'm sorry that some of you disagree, but having been all over the Bridge like a rash when it came out for SL, I just don't see how (for playback) it offers anything over a midi clock output.

If there was true bi-directional communication between the two programs then I can see the benefit, but there isn't.

The potential of the Bridge really only opens up when you set up Razy's 'Bridge 2.0', with a secondary audio interface, but as no Itch/SDJ controllers have aux sends, that option is redundant.

As it stands a midi clock output would be easier to implement, and would be much more flexible in that you could sync with Maschine, or even hardware, instead of just Ableton.
Quote:

Very cool. But all that we need to achieve that is midi clock output. Not the Bridge.

Quote:

A track with different time signatures and fills isn't going to warp to a 4/4 beat in Ableton without sounding shit either though. So an acapella like that would need re-editing anyway, at which point you might as well render it out and use in the SP6 anyway.

I'm sorry that some of you disagree, but having been all over the Bridge like a rash when it came out for SL, I just don't see how (for playback) it offers anything over a midi clock output.

If there was true bi-directional communication between the two programs then I can see the benefit, but there isn't.

The potential of the Bridge really only opens up when you set up Razy's 'Bridge 2.0', with a secondary audio interface, but as no Itch/SDJ controllers have aux sends, that option is redundant.

As it stands a midi clock output would be easier to implement, and would be much more flexible in that you could sync with Maschine, or even hardware, instead of just Ableton.
Quote:

Quote:

phatbob 9:16 AM - 20 November, 2012
Midi clock output would then also mean you could sync audio and video on a second machine, with no extra stress placed on the first one.

Then you're cooking.
XRM5 10:55 AM - 20 November, 2012
Second machines are so 2003, unless you have a collaborator.
phatbob 12:11 PM - 20 November, 2012
Nice 'bonus feature' though, and I think Hawtin, Dubfire & Liebing might disagree with you.
XRM5 3:12 PM - 20 November, 2012
Last time I checked those old bros weren't using Itch/SDJ because of all the features it was missing.

The Bridge is the hackable random element in Serato's universe. It needs to stay there.
MeltedX 10:35 PM - 20 November, 2012
+1
DJ Sonny D 10:51 PM - 20 November, 2012
From the Serato Facebook page:

Serato Hey guys, The Bridge will not be available in Serato DJ.

Serato: Yep, I just replied to your tweet. The Bridge will continue to be supported in Scratch Live but won't be available for Serato DJ.
MeltedX 11:56 PM - 20 November, 2012
I assume that Scratch Live will not be compatible with the DDJ-SX. May I suggest offering a version of Scratch Live that I could purchase which would be compatible with the DDJ-SX, that way I could have full Serato functionality and Rane could get their cut too.
DJ Sonny D 11:58 PM - 20 November, 2012
Or give us the bloody bridge already!
DJ-Sven 4:36 PM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:

I think, you don't own a DDJ-SX. If you want to have a Acapella in Sync, load the Original Track in Player1, the Acapella in Player 3, set a Cuepoint in both Tracks at the same Postion and start the tracks in Dual-Play mode. Now you can edit the Beatgrid in the Acapella so comfortable ... it ist MUCH more easyer than setting Beatgrids in Ableton.
XRM5 1:54 AM - 22 November, 2012
It's not about sync.

It's about the fact that Live is like a Lego set for audio and MIDI/OSC/DMX. You can make anything you want in there. Serato will never add anything that deep and modular on their own, so they had better keep the Bridge working.
djallstyle 5:15 PM - 24 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I think, you don't own a DDJ-SX. If you want to have a Acapella in Sync, load the Original Track in Player1, the Acapella in Player 3, set a Cuepoint in both Tracks at the same Postion and start the tracks in Dual-Play mode. Now you can edit the Beatgrid in the Acapella so comfortable ... it ist MUCH more easyer than setting Beatgrids in Ableton.

You should show a video of you doing this.. Thanks...
DJ-Sven 6:57 PM - 24 November, 2012
Sorry, I don't have a youtube account, but I uploaded a video to my webspace. Also sorry for my bad english but I hope you understand it :-)

www.dj-sven.net
XRM5 7:42 AM - 25 November, 2012
I don't think the reason to keep the Bridge is just because warping works better than beatgridding, but warping in Live is still obviously better, and no one can argue that.

The linked deck thing in Serato only gets you so far. In Ableton, you can master/slave tempos to get the unwarped acapella to match a warped version of the song's full mix, & it's pretty much the same thing.

And because in Serato you're only lining up downbeats while you can shift every single 16th note if you wanted in Live, the results will always be better. If you hit a bar of 2/4 for instance, you can just start lining up the 3's of every subsequent measure like they're downbeats.

And what if you hit a wack edit in the song that listeners don't notice, but the song straight up skips a bit of a beat? In Serato you're fucked, and whatever grids you already put down are useless. That song cannot be gridded until you pull it into an audio editor and fix the gap.

Whereas in Live you just drag the clip over to the Arrangement side where you can keep all the warping you already did, then you fix the skip or the edit or the odd-meter bar or whatever, consolidate, and you're done.

And what about having layers of Undo while warping/beatgridding? Live beats Serato there too.

Anyway, this is all a complicated way of showing a simple thing: Live is deep, seriously deep. Serato gains a lot by having that crazy set of possibilities in their universe. And they would lose a lot by letting it go.

And by keeping it I don't mean keeping it only on the DVS side with SSL. That's part of why it never took off. Your average Live user would be much more comfortable taking on Itch/Serato DJ than they would control vinyl w/no sync option. They are already controller people.

The fact that the Bridge hasn't happened for Itch/SDJ is the saddest missed opportunity for Serato. It should have happened there first.
DJ-Sven 9:06 AM - 25 November, 2012
You are right, with everything you have said about ableton, but what offers the bridge for SDJ, that you can't do using the both software simultaneous side by side? There are only 3 points in my mind:

1. Sync
2. A second Monitor
3. recording .als Files

For point 1 they can integrate a Midi-Clock Function in SDJ wich you can catch with other software, for point 3 it would be nice to have, but please with all functions (Fader, Filter, etc.)

Think about for how many users the brigde is interesting and what they will pay for it? I think, thats the reason for Serato. I think, 90% will buy SDJ and never use the bridge - ableton is not for free ;-) and 5% use the bridge with SSL because they are "real DJ's" ;-) So Serato (New Zealand) and Ableton (Germany) would work for only 5% of the the SDJ Users ... and thats for free!
admiraljonesy 10:33 PM - 25 November, 2012
Quote:
From the Serato Facebook page:

Serato Hey guys, The Bridge will not be available in Serato DJ.

Serato: Yep, I just replied to your tweet. The Bridge will continue to be supported in Scratch Live but won't be available for Serato DJ.

Yeah, that was me. I still don't think this is definitive. Why in the world they won't make an official cancellation statement for ITCH is beyond me.

And one last mention about Ableton Playback, if it doesn't kill me, I enjoy my samples and oneshots on a 4x4 like MPC or Maschine in the nice drumpad visual layout that Ableton provides for some nice and stylish finger drumming beyond sample dropping.
Ed Philips 3:15 PM - 26 November, 2012
Hey phatbob, do I need to send you a screenshot of our .als? There are at minumum 115 different accapella's in it. Show me how to do this with the SP6? Plus we have chopped up audio loops wich we play on the fly another no can do.

Another thing, I've been using Serato since the first SL1 and Ableton since Live 4. I pretty much know both their features. And let me tell you the SP6 can not do what Live does.

If Serato could implement The Bridge into Serato DJ, they could make it so that you could route different channels to different outputs on for example the DDJ SX. I can understand why you would not need this, but I can't understand that you could be against this as it offers a whole new level of functionality.
I totally understand XRM5 and what he wants to do with it, so why put a limit on Serato DJ?
Maybe it will not be superpopular, but hey some guys like us can definitely use it!
phatbob 5:00 PM - 26 November, 2012
Quote:
Hey phatbob, do I need to send you a screenshot of our .als? There are at minumum 115 different accapella's in it. Show me how to do this with the SP6? Plus we have chopped up audio loops wich we play on the fly another no can do.

Very nice.

Not why you said you need the Bridge before though, was it?

Perhaps if you'd explained that in the first place it would have been easier to understand your needs.
phatbob 5:11 PM - 26 November, 2012
Also, I'm still not understanding why the Bridge would be more useful here than a midi clock out?

My .ALS sounds quite similar to yours, I run 2 stereo channels from an Audio 6 into 2 channels of the SX, and sync manually using Ableton's tempo and nudge controls.

Would midi sync make life easier? Yes.

Would I like to feed channels from my SX into Ableton and put them through Traktor's 12 in Guitar Rig and Stutter Edit? Yes. But the Bridge won't do that anyway.

Nice idea, flawed execution. I don't want the Bridge; I want either something simpler, OR something better.
XRM5 7:24 PM - 26 November, 2012
I don't really trust Serato to do MIDI clock out correctly. When they add features, they usually do it in a bare-bones way and move on with no updates for years. Look at how they added MIDI mapping or the video plugin for example. MIDI sync between apps is not always straightforward & might need some supervision & troubleshooting from the developer. Ableton's sync didn't improve until version 8, & they said it was a difficult problem to solve. I don't see Serato staying on top of an issue like that until it's perfect.

I don't think the Bridge is the answer to Traktor's sample decks. Serato needs to solve that for themselves. I see the Bridge more like the expert-level Technic Legos that let you add solar panels and customized robotics to a basic kiddie Lego construction.

Right now there is no native Serato answer to Traktor's remix decks & customizable fx, but you can use the Bridge to kinda make one. Similarly, you can use the Bridge to put together a solution to anything about Serato that you feel is limited.
Jam-Master Jake 5:30 AM - 27 November, 2012
+1 This feature is LONG overdue!
Ed Philips 1:12 PM - 27 November, 2012
Nicely noticed of you, Bob.
I was giving some additional reasons to do it. The SP6 will never be able to warp anything like Ableton and I don't have any problems with warped samples sounding overly bad as long as I'm in complex pro mode.

And maybe you won't be able to create a signal chain in Live that gets its feed from Serato, but you would be able to do this on your Live tracks.
MIDI out would be cool if it's stable, but you wouldn't have all the extra's Live gives you.
2 friends of mine run their Live set full of MIDI clips to trigger the LED's on their costumes, the only limit they have is that they can't choose their tracks on the fly when they're playing with Ableton only, for them The Bridge would be an ideal solution too.

But hey, I'm still playing on SL's or CDJ's. But I sell these things for a living. Having the possibility to use The Bridge with Serato DJ would mean more SX's being sold. Altough I have to say that they sell themselves.
amit nurieli 5:33 PM - 27 November, 2012
+1
Dave The One 12:35 AM - 28 November, 2012
Bridge for Serato DJ, or a mixtape feature within Serato DJ.
djallstyle 2:19 AM - 28 November, 2012
Quote:
Bridge for Serato DJ, or a mixtape feature within Serato DJ.

Super +1
They should add this asap!!!!!! Really, just the make Serato a VST option would be great for me. It used to be in Pro Tools & I would pay for it the 1st day as i did the SX..
Serato step it up please, Alot of us bought controllers because YOU said Bridge was on the way to Itch..... Lets Work!!!!
fingas 2:28 PM - 29 November, 2012
This shouldn't even be a back n forth debate about whether it's needed.

Serato and Ableton already put the resources into building The Bridge. We, the user community have adopted it. It's not rocket science to integrate it.

It's strictly Politricks that The Bridge wouldn't be available in Serato DJ.

I respect serato's hustle in navigating the space of building hardware manufacturing relationships, but, they are cutting backroom deals to maximize distribution footprint knowing that they are going to be leaving a segment of their users hanging. That is the aspect about the current state of things that I do not dig.

Instead of holding their users down, they are getting $$$.

Grab your balls Serato, and give the users that support YOU the features we need / desire and stop visiting your dealmaking weakness on us.

Where my Peoples @@@@@?
DJ Oxygenn 3:47 PM - 2 December, 2012
Quote:
I have a Novation Launchpad, it'd be awesome to be able to use it with Serato DJ and Ableton.

+ 1
And with Serato Video
thephatbuddhist 7:15 AM - 3 December, 2012
+1
DJ Sonny D 8:37 PM - 5 December, 2012
Still hoping...
deejdave 2:41 AM - 7 December, 2012
+1
nikodb 3:43 AM - 9 December, 2012
+1
benn low kill 11:15 PM - 9 December, 2012
+1
Dave The One 12:36 AM - 10 December, 2012
+1
Dave The One 12:36 AM - 10 December, 2012
+1
serkan 9:22 PM - 11 December, 2012
There will be no Bridge in Serato DJ ever.
Ableton switches to 64-bit now and Serato isn't. So it's just a matter of time when even The Bridge for Scratch Live will be phased out due to incompatibility.
If Serato made a mistake in their history then it was the promise of The Bridge for ITCH. And even that one is history now as there will be no ITCH anymore.
XRM5 12:08 AM - 12 December, 2012
Ableton has the Bridge slated for Live 9, which isn't even out yet, so it's not going anywhere on their side, and that "compatibility" thing doesn't hold up.
admiraljonesy 12:31 AM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
Ableton switches to 64-bit now and Serato isn't. So it's just a matter of time when even The Bridge for Scratch Live will be phased out due to incompatibility.
If Serato made a mistake in their history then it was the promise of The Bridge for ITCH. And even that one is history now as there will be no ITCH anymore.

Oh, hey Serkan. I thought you were in this thread once.

www.serato.com

Guess I was wrong, do you know this?
From it:

www.ableton.com

"When is Live 9 coming out? Can I already upgrade to Live 9?"

"Live 9 will be released and downloadable in the first quarter of 2013. It will come with 32 bits and 64 bits installers."

I agree, its a damned shame that they made ZERO mention about cancelling it for Serato ITCH without a peep, but the future is still possible. Ableton knows it's still a thing and put it up as a feature for Ableton 9, so it has a year on its legs.
demoode 10:00 AM - 18 December, 2012
+1
I need that.
Futuretek 9:32 PM - 19 December, 2012
Quote:
I think, it is not so necessary to use the Bridge functions for playback, because the Sampler has enough possibilitys, but it would be nice, if Serato DJ could record in the .als Format with all functions (Fader, Filter, etc.)

+1
djelover 6:23 AM - 22 December, 2012
+1 need that yesterday.

quote:
Dave The One 6:38 AM - 22 December, 2012
Or Serato can break away from ableton and make/create a mixtape mode in Sereto dj where you can play back your recorded mix with all decks loaded and playing each track that is mixed and allow you to make corrections tweaks/add fx, overdub realtime with your controller or via software.....
ivan zilch 1:02 PM - 22 December, 2012
i think the bridge was a promised fantasy that never get fully executed

in the beginning people dreamt of scratching their ableton session files in scratch live just like audio files but in reality the implementation of the bridge is a bit awkward in LIVe 8 as it is

Plus running two programs at the same time (plus a bunch of third party plugins hosted within live) increases the likelihood of a crash with the thousands of different configurations of systems and plugins (ableton hosts both VST an AU in osx)

i think the chances of the bridge really launching off is rather thin
DeeJay Staas 10:33 AM - 24 December, 2012
+1
Phuture2 12:57 AM - 27 December, 2012
+100 i Would like to see this implemented
Dave The One 12:42 AM - 14 January, 2013
+1
controversial 6:21 PM - 14 January, 2013
+1
Phillipe Crouton 7:00 PM - 14 January, 2013
+1
deejdave 1:20 AM - 15 January, 2013
OMG I Just played with the Bridge a lil again for the first time since SDJ release. Implementing The Bridge into SDJ would satisfy a huge portion of talented existing customers as well as turn heads throughout the DJ world in the direction of Serato. Good for all parties both financially and creatively.
Bosky 1:02 PM - 15 January, 2013
+1 for Deejdave. I agree that the having the bridge for SeratoDJ would increase sales drastically. I know a lot of producers who use Ableton, but play out using Traktor. I think that creating a compatibility between the Ableton and SeratoDJ would get their attention and bring back a huge amount of the people who have drifted to Traktor over the years.
fnkone 9:46 PM - 16 January, 2013
+1 for the Bridge on Serato DJ
ktern 6:14 AM - 28 January, 2013
One more for the pile. Please make it happen!
ZakaL 12:12 PM - 5 February, 2013
+1
DEE JAY BASS 7:37 PM - 6 February, 2013
+1
Bozo 9:18 PM - 7 February, 2013
+1
djallstyle 10:30 PM - 7 February, 2013
+1
DJ Aqueous 8:41 AM - 8 February, 2013
+1

After the nightmare of an experience I had with the Itch and the NS7, even if there was an Itch bridge, I knew it wouldn't have been stable enough to run both programs successfully at the same time on my 64bit anyway. Itch/NS7FX hardly worked by itself for me.

Serato DJ with the DDJ-SX on the other hand feels a lot more reliable. I'd be even more pleased with the other way around, having the DDJ-SX work fully in Scratch Live. But I get the deal with Rane being the CB there.

As a DJ/Producer I am asking: 4 decks and these effects + the bridge ... Please?
Bozo 4:13 PM - 9 February, 2013
plus plug-in/vst for/in Serato Dj
joachimj 9:03 PM - 10 February, 2013
+1
KABZ 6:05 AM - 17 February, 2013
+1M
flocked 3:50 AM - 17 March, 2013
+1
Win 1:02 PM - 27 March, 2013
+1 for the bridge.
However, I would like for in-built VST capabilities rather than through the bridge. I used Torq ( RIP :D) earlier and I love what I could do with VSTs there. I will make a separate request for in-built VST capabilities, but the bridge, if not available, is something that will sorely be missed.
Pop-I 5:53 AM - 18 April, 2013
+1
museoa 10:13 PM - 24 April, 2013
+1
earnestdotcom 12:36 AM - 15 August, 2013
+ another one
grover2g 3:57 PM - 18 August, 2013
+1
Axelv 12:26 PM - 22 August, 2013
+1
nostromo13 3:06 AM - 23 August, 2013
Quote:
Perhaps playback is the wrong word. In a simpler form, I want my Ableton sounds to be playable, controllable and pre-cueable through Serato DJ's mixer functionality.

+1
Mr Wilks 12:44 PM - 26 August, 2013
Serato's post earlier today on their Facebook page regarding support said they was looking into ways of bringing it to Serato DJ.

I got a screen shot just as it's the first time they have at least acknowledged a discussion on The Bridge and DJ.

With Itch it was always "no". At least now with DJ it's a "maybe one day".

When Itch 2.0 dropped DJ was being developed and was considered the future. I think that's why the bridge didn't make it. DJ is the future of Serato and I feel now they'll push the bridge.
DJ Compiler 9:35 PM - 27 August, 2013
+1
djallstyle 12:31 PM - 28 August, 2013
@Mr. Wilks
Yeah right.... I bought Ableton(no regrets) because of bridge promises. However, I've learned & love Ableton now.... Oh well... I want bridge, but broken promises & for Serato to not acknowledge it is even worse.
Mr Wilks 2:57 PM - 28 August, 2013
True but Serato know nor to be sing twice with bad publicity.

As DJ is their future it seems logical they look after their flagship development. Itch was on its way out before we knew it so can now (retrospectively) look at why they didn't implement it it and look towards the future.

As N.I had gained ground with the remix decks and the only rival Serato had is the bridge.

I can see it coming. When is a another story but I can see it at some point.
Mr Wilks 2:58 PM - 28 August, 2013
Nor too be sing? Haha!

I think you know know how I intended it lol.
SiRocket 7:08 AM - 5 September, 2013
+1 DUE TO 1.5 and 1.6 ANNOUNCEMENTS!!!! PLEASE!
wasp 7:35 AM - 5 September, 2013
+ 100
Seriously!

I bought a Sixty Eight for the mixtape function. Now Scratch Live is switching over to Serato DJ it really needs to have the same functionality as before.
SiRocket 7:38 AM - 5 September, 2013
MIXTAPE IS HUGE!!!! would be a slap to all of us since it's been the devil child (messed up CF recording and more)... for the last 3 years :(
Mr Wilks 9:38 AM - 5 September, 2013
I noticed there is a cross next to the bridge for DJ when comparing SL to DJ in the comparison list. I just hope it's the current version of DJ is comparing to.

After all, they said they was talking on how to implement the bridge with DJ recently and now the announcement makes sense.
Ed Philips 1:18 PM - 10 September, 2013
If The Bridge would be implemented in Serato DJ it would be the most advanced DJ-system on the market HANDS DOWN!!
Win 8:25 AM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
If The Bridge would be implemented in Serato DJ it would be the most advanced DJ-system on the market HANDS DOWN!!

Agree with that. Support for Ableton Live is something that definitely changes the equation. However some features like saving Sampler sounds (entire set of samples loaded on a sample bank) and Snapshots (combination of multiple effects on a deck or mixer) to launch them with a single button and in-built VST support are what I am missing. I have created / supported threads for these features. The links are given below. Please support if you agree with them.

sera.to
sera.to

Thanks,
Vin!
Pop-I 8:43 AM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Support for Ableton Live is something that definitely changes the equation. However some features like saving Sampler sounds (entire set of samples loaded on a sample bank) and Snapshots (combination of multiple effects on a deck or mixer) to launch them with a single button and in-built VST support are what I am missing. I have created / supported threads for these features. The links are given below. Please support if you agree with them.

sera.to
sera.to

Thanks,
Vin!

+1

Having all this in one package would be a revolution in performing-software.
Jellybean 6:24 PM - 17 September, 2013
+1

If they could do just one thing it would be to have the mixtape feature of the Bridge. As earlier posts have said, it would be very easy for them to implement from a coding perspective. Regarding the performing side of the Bridge, they should expand the sp-6 sample player to do something similar to Remix decks found in Traktor Pro 2.6, where you can scratch the samples with controller jog wheels or DVS vinyl, but keeping everything firmly under the hood of Serato DJ and not have to have the Ableton Live application at the same time. This feature should also be recordable as a Ableton Live .als file. VST and AU support would also be nice, but I doubt Serato would implement it, because they are committed to stability.

Cheers,

Jellybean.
SiRocket 7:45 PM - 18 September, 2013
YES PLEASSSSE!
Jellybean 3:59 PM - 20 September, 2013
I would also like Serato to implement midi out on Serato DJ, both midi clock synced to the beatgrids and the tempo of the track playing and LED lights on your favourite additional controller. This way you could have Ableton Live playing alongside (if you don't want to use the Bridge) or other sequencers, hardware effects units, drum machines, etc..

Regarding the remix type deck functionality, they should give the option in the preferences to have the current sp-6 functionality or the sample player as an additional deck controlled by a controller, control vinyl or cdj. Or even better to enable both modes at the same time!!!!!

Cheers,

Jellybean.
Pop-I 4:14 PM - 20 September, 2013
Of course they might be waiting for BitWig to kick abletons ass and implement that instead
Ed Philips 2:56 PM - 21 September, 2013
And why on earth would BitWig kick Abletons ass?
funny stuff
Pop-I 3:27 PM - 21 September, 2013
He he Just sayin it looks interesting. Ableton has been the only real performance software out there for a long time now. It's about time they get some competition.
Mark Quest 6:32 AM - 24 September, 2013
Quote:

Really? Why does Ableton come in both 32-bit & 64-bit then?
Mr Wilks 12:34 PM - 24 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Really? Why does Ableton come in both 32-bit & 64-bit then?

...and that they recommend the 32-bit over the 64-bit?
deejdave 7:20 PM - 24 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

................. which would be the direct reason they did not include Ableton with Itch.
EricM 5:54 AM - 26 September, 2013
+1 I need the bridge to sync my Novation Launchpad S and Ableton Live intro with my NS7FX and Serato DJ. Thanks
Pop-I 7:06 AM - 26 September, 2013
It would really be a loss if they do not implement The Bridge in Serato DJ. You would have to run at double setup with two Macs and you would lose a lot of functionality
DP PEPITA 2:57 PM - 2 October, 2013
+1
Anything planned for 2014 ?
Thanks
Draven1327 4:45 PM - 3 October, 2013
+1

*crossing fingers*
dj_Getafix 10:36 PM - 14 October, 2013
+1
Code:E 9:33 PM - 24 October, 2013
More +1's

Mixtape and the bridge are wanted very badly.
Phuture2 4:01 AM - 26 October, 2013
I can't see how the bridge will work, when Serato is still working on the crashing issues with only Serato DJ open. So imagine if Serato DJ and Ableton is running. IMO
deejdave 4:56 AM - 26 October, 2013
Serato has confirmed that the 1.5 release had its specific flaws. They have also been working on it around the clock and I am not sure if you noticed but they have been having tremendous success. Not just saying it either check it out for yourself.

I was hoping that Serato worked in a very similar to a software developer (being they are software developers) in which they will have different teams working in different things. eg software development, customer service, tech support, sales, etc.

I also know this. Serato 1.5 gave me no issues so the ONLY thing I can imagine if they added it to SDJ is amazingness!!
Phuture2 12:42 AM - 27 October, 2013
Ask Serato this Question. "Why cant we still use a large library with Serato DJ"? until this fix is implemented it is useless for me and many other users. We NEED a 64bit version. SSL and Rekordbox works without any problems with the same hard drive that Serato DJ is having issues with. So wait until the changeover is here in 2014 any more people have crashing issues with Serato DJ. Right now i am finished with Serato DJ and am enjoying Rekordbox from Pioneer.
Phuture2 12:43 AM - 27 October, 2013
oh and BTW Serato DJ version 1.5.1-6 still crashes with the same library.
deejdave 6:17 AM - 27 October, 2013
I would ask them but I am able to use all 80,000 of my songs on SSL as well as SDJ so I don't see the need. My same library works with Rekordbox (which obviously works 100% being it is in no way similar) and Traktor. Neither of which are remotely close to as stable as SSL or SDJ for me. I respect your issues and I don't deny that they exist. I just don't feel restricting the users that don't have issues is the answer.

Lastly 1.5.1.6 is over. There has been a final release of 1.5.1 in the regular download section. This release will not fix the large database issue for those who have it though being we already know that the 1.5.1.6 beta's only purpose was to rectify the crash issue directly related to the 1.5 release correct?
Phuture2 10:59 PM - 27 October, 2013
I just don't feel restricting the users that don't have issues is the answer.

Serato knows there is a known issues with big libraries, and have and probably will fix this problem in time. Some of us do not have time to waste. When I made my purchase of the DDJ-SX it crashed the same day with my large library. I downsized like Serato told me to and it worked; however, that is not a so called "library." It is a band aid to a problem that needs to get fixed. I am sick and tired of hearing the same BS from Serato saying "downsize" > they know its a memory intensive program, they know its a 32/64 bit issue, they know there are users out there with this problem, they know that right now we have to down size to MAKE it work. Not ok in my eyes. They blame it on a 32 bit application that only uses a certain amount of ram so why add more features and effects when the base program that was issued never worked correctly from the start? Oh here's an idea add more effects yeah that will be better. Hell no. I am so done with Serato DJ. Hope it fails miserably and people jump ship to the competitors.
Phuture2 11:01 PM - 27 October, 2013
Oh and BTW, why does my DDJ-SX work with Rekordbox, Tractor and Mix Vibes with no issue with the same large hard drive loaded. The answer Serato DJ is the issue.
deejdave 1:26 AM - 28 October, 2013
I will say it again as you preach about YOUR problems. MANY don't have any issues at all 32 bit or not. I know this for a fact and I also know these users including me DO NOT have by any definition a small library or "ban aid" library. I DO KNOW certain things that lead to this large library issue. Most of the things that lead to it are things I would never do and rarely can it be blamed on quantity alone. I have done many "experiments" on over 180 different individuals libraries. Some had the "large library issue" and most had common factors that lead me to believe there are other issues at hand.

On a pure numbers alone I can tell you this. I had more files than ANY of them and I have no issues at all. I AM NOT saying there is no issue. I am also not making any excuses for Serato. They do what they can. The 1.5 issue was real and they fixed that in a VERY timely manner AND owned up to the issue. What more can be expected of the brand you trust? In my experience I will say the each & every of the individuals who had the large library issue fit the profile. I mean within 10 seconds of looking at their library I asked them if they can even make sense of their "collection". This may not apply to most but I do know not one of the people who had this issue (that I have dealt with) had any real organization system obviously otherwise they would have never come to me in the first place. To add to that the amount of crates & sub-crates were all off the wall.

In closing I simply can not listen to someone who claims Rekordbox to be more stable than Serato. TraKtor (as it is not farm equipment we are speaking of) will never have the same library management that Serato does PERIOD.
deejdave 1:29 AM - 28 October, 2013
Oh yeah.................. why are you here if you are done with Serato DJ? Also why do you care if they add Bridge to SDJ if it won't affect you either way?
Pop-I 9:42 PM - 28 October, 2013
I have absoluty no problems w 1.5 and a big library (about 325 gb of 320 kbs mp3s). running a DDJ-sx. I even manage to run reaper or ablton simultaneously w sdj

Anyway: this is a thread about The Bridge not someone whining about their trouble w running 1.5.

We want to have bridge now.
Pop-I 9:45 PM - 28 October, 2013
I run it on a macbookpro retina 15 16 gb ram i7
Phuture2 12:22 AM - 29 October, 2013
Why I care? Because I have paid for a working controller to work with a stable program. That's my interest. I would love to see this "Bridge" enabled just like SSL had it; however it seems like it is an empty promise just like Serato promised the "itch" users. Hmm Where is "itch" now........ You have your arguments and so Do I. Whatever! Preaching about my problems i don't think so. Do a search on this forum for crashing with Serato DJ and what comes up large library issues 80 % of the time. And what is the fix from Serato......"downsize". I have tried this on a Macbook Pro and a PC with the same controller and Same hard drive both situations do the same thing. Crash, Crash Crash. 325 gig library is not big. When i had my 800 Gig drive i Split it at 400 Gigs and it worked fine i Agree, but that is not my main library. I don't know about but other people,m when i hear library its all my music i have on me when i do weddings and large events. So far had everything that people asked for and it was played. That is a library.
SiRocket 9:12 PM - 30 November, 2013
mixtappppppppppppeeeeeeeā€¦. thanks ahead of time for implementing this so that you don't abandon people that bought serato enabled mixers just a year or so ago to use this featureā€¦. thanks!
deejdave 9:44 PM - 30 November, 2013
They will be forever able to use mixtape as well with SSL. This feature will never go away. It is supported by even the most current SSL & ableton (32 bit at least) versions so they will always have the option of using.
SiRocket 1:44 AM - 1 December, 2013
i just love buying a mixer for mixtape bridge and then it's just abandoned and this "professional" company's solution is to use discontinued softwareā€¦ lolā€¦ sounds rightā€¦ NOT!
Mike Czech 9:10 PM - 4 December, 2013
+1

I use Mixtape religiously. Best software invention in DJing since Serato came along. I have personally given step-by-step instruction on how to use it to at least 10 other DJs who now swear by it as well.
Al-Ski Love 9:50 PM - 4 December, 2013
+1 on the request for the Bridge being on Serato DJ. I have enjoyed using it with SSL.
Code:E 10:44 PM - 4 December, 2013
The Bridge is desperately needed for Serato DJ. I am getting a DJM900SRT and want mixtape bad.
Phuture2 9:30 PM - 5 December, 2013
Would love to see it as well. But can SDJ handle that and the bridge together. I doubt it with the large memory issue. But we can hope, just hope.
dev79 3:25 AM - 7 December, 2013
+100 !!! Was planning to upgrade to SDJ and really want to continue having access to the Bridge as I've become accustomed to in SSL.
G-rod 8:27 PM - 8 December, 2013
+1
Mutis Mayfield 6:28 PM - 9 December, 2013
I'm not (so) the hacker ninja (that I will) but I have some knowledge about the internals of the bridge (personal research) and Ms. pinky maxforlive (and midi/osc output) advicer/early requester. My expected idea for The Bridge was near to NI Remix Decks tha the Bridge or Ms. pinky approarches so...

With this knowledge (and IMHO) do the work for Serato Dj isn't not so difficult. The true complication is platter control (in controllers due to the every branch protocol, in DVS due to audio engine of Live which can't scratch audio clips) but...

Mixtape feature is easy to perform with remote scripts (even the default) and better with regular midi mixer than Rane (because Serato soft hijacks the midi signal and make it unavailiable to third app like Ableton). I know a way to make it work with ANY mixer (without midi) with curve control and high resolution (not 127 steps like midi cc which is poor accurate for chirps and flares) but again Ableton must to implement better automation (live 9 finally has curves but I'm not sure about resolution. Maybe I'm wrong and it is still more easy)
For the platter side, it could be A LOT of improve making possible to post-produce the whole routine (including scratching) but this trick will be at my pocket until some other wonders how or Serato drop me an email directly (too many years going in the opposite direction, sorry guys)

About beatgridding/warping: I don't know how Serato manage the marks and I'm not sure about if Ableton let "observe" these makers from the API/LOM side but it could be possible too (and even creating special tracks in Live like drum ones for Serato or updating a bit the clip object itself)

About scratching the clip content: it is a problem from Ableton side but...
There will some workarounds to bypass the limitations.
The most straightforward could br something like... "Audio buffering"; You could hit a button in Serato app/frontend then grab the whole audio (clips launched including midi synths andor efx) or audio from bus in live into a SP-6 or deck in Serato. It will be something similar like Remix Deck but with Ableton as generator/fx unit.

About integrating third generators in Serato (ie drummy channels): it could be easy to remap (parsing values) between Serato mappings (which the 90% is still closed and 1to1 values) to Ableton API/LOM again. Implement this step by step will be slow but solid, believe me.

Maybe I'm forgetting something but it was been "more long that I expect" post, sorry.

Why it isn't developed yet?
Well (IMHO again) as I stated before the release of The Bridge to the Support team in a funny mail conversations (over a month before of the release) "who will go to pay for something which is free?" (Pointing to the fact that Ms. pinky released a maxforlive device which could scratch audio content clips ( not warped I know...) A month before the first stage presentation at namm or messe (I couldn't remember at this moment)
Then the only way to monetarize this was "release free for ableton+serato (rane hardware) users.

I'm not trying to explain Serato how to rule their business but if they were listening/reading users (and powerusers) advices and demand maybe The Bridge could been another history...

Now maybe it is time to second chance and this post is my contribution but my motivation still is the same now and then: Users.

I didn't expect a mail hitting my mailbox (I hope serato keep this message online too...) but I'm trying to get ready my new/own blog and I will explain (and learn by the way) all about this and then when I purge all my research (and hate) I will forget about it and start living.

If anyone is interested (or a python coder) and want to collab, I will do all of this open (even the secret tricks of course)

My best wishes for all,
Mudo/Mutis Mayfield
Dj Wunder 10:38 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:
I'm not (so) the hacker ninja (that I will) but I have some knowledge about the internals of the bridge (personal research) and Ms. pinky maxforlive (and midi/osc output) advicer/early requester. My expected idea for The Bridge was near to NI Remix Decks tha the Bridge or Ms. pinky approarches so...

With this knowledge (and IMHO) do the work for Serato Dj isn't not so difficult. The true complication is platter control (in controllers due to the every branch protocol, in DVS due to audio engine of Live which can't scratch audio clips) but...

Mixtape feature is easy to perform with remote scripts (even the default) and better with regular midi mixer than Rane (because Serato soft hijacks the midi signal and make it unavailiable to third app like Ableton). I know a way to make it work with ANY mixer (without midi) with curve control and high resolution (not 127 steps like midi cc which is poor accurate for chirps and flares) but again Ableton must to implement better automation (live 9 finally has curves but I'm not sure about resolution. Maybe I'm wrong and it is still more easy)
For the platter side, it could be A LOT of improve making possible to post-produce the whole routine (including scratching) but this trick will be at my pocket until some other wonders how or Serato drop me an email directly (too many years going in the opposite direction, sorry guys)

About beatgridding/warping: I don't know how Serato manage the marks and I'm not sure about if Ableton let "observe" these makers from the API/LOM side but it could be possible too (and even creating special tracks in Live like drum ones for Serato or updating a bit the clip object itself)

About scratching the clip content: it is a problem from Ableton side but...
There will some workarounds to bypass the limitations.
The most straightforward could br something like... "Audio buffering"; You could hit a button in Serato app/frontend then grab the whole audio (clips launched including midi synths andor efx) or audio from bus in live into a SP-6 or deck in Serato. It will be something similar like Remix Deck but with Ableton as generator/fx unit.

About integrating third generators in Serato (ie drummy channels): it could be easy to remap (parsing values) between Serato mappings (which the 90% is still closed and 1to1 values) to Ableton API/LOM again. Implement this step by step will be slow but solid, believe me.

Maybe I'm forgetting something but it was been "more long that I expect" post, sorry.

Why it isn't developed yet?
Well (IMHO again) as I stated before the release of The Bridge to the Support team in a funny mail conversations (over a month before of the release) "who will go to pay for something which is free?" (Pointing to the fact that Ms. pinky released a maxforlive device which could scratch audio content clips ( not warped I know...) A month before the first stage presentation at namm or messe (I couldn't remember at this moment)
Then the only way to monetarize this was "release free for ableton+serato (rane hardware) users.

I'm not trying to explain Serato how to rule their business but if they were listening/reading users (and powerusers) advices and demand maybe The Bridge could been another history...

Now maybe it is time to second chance and this post is my contribution but my motivation still is the same now and then: Users.

I didn't expect a mail hitting my mailbox (I hope serato keep this message online too...) but I'm trying to get ready my new/own blog and I will explain (and learn by the way) all about this and then when I purge all my research (and hate) I will forget about it and start living.

If anyone is interested (or a python coder) and want to collab, I will do all of this open (even the secret tricks of course)

My best wishes for all,
Mudo/Mutis Mayfield

(...*scratches head, packs up 1200's, pmc-05, and vinyl crates and goes home)
DJ Aqueous 10:59 AM - 11 December, 2013
I am pretty sure I followed maybe 80% of that. The problem is I am not a coder and can't help with that kind of work, however I am certainly willing to volunteer as a lab rat for any future experiments conducted on this front.

I don't know what the "hate" is about, but let it go. There is no time for that now, you have important work to do.

I've run into a bunch of guys who use Ableton Live and everyone finds ways to use it differently from one another as is.
Ironically one of the selling points for me to even learn how to use Ableton originally was the 'promise of the bridge'.

Stay positive and focus on documenting the successful implementation of these work-a rounds. To properly Bridge these two applications together is extremely valuable stuff.
Mutis Mayfield 12:16 PM - 11 December, 2013
Hi Dj Aqueous,
I'm keeping myself positive, open and empathic that's why I wrote these info and I'm considering write it in my own blog with details.
I want to learn more max and python to implement these ideas by myself and share them, even the (not so) secret tricks which are floating over the net in other places where I contribute and learn some of them.

My problem is concerned to resources due I didn't have a daily job to pay my dues and coding all of this couldn't be a hobbie (or It will go another five years to show anything) and in addition to that, I'm not sure if x86 platforms are a real deal to develop... Let me explain this a bit.

Serato powerbase users were usually focus on "keeping it real" make few room for some kinds of "improvements" such sync. Most of them have a respectable background from 80' 90' and started or developed their techniques with true wax vinyl and turntables.
To implement some of the new features users should see sync and other improvements (sampler, fx...) and platforms as a part of the whole improvement (concept) not as a "enemy to combat"
Most of these users were "wax lovers" and make this process a bit complex (IMHO) so I think (it is only my, maybe wrong, appreciation) that's the ultimate reason behind drop SSL (it is solid like a rock but unflexible to add new features as controllers...?) and transform Itch 2 into Serato Dj (but dropping the Bridge support until it could be feasible or found a better solution).

Continuing to this argument, Serato has develop the control app for Serato Dj meanwhile NI has develop a reduced version of their software. The other player involved (Ableton) has rewrite most of their core software (with lots of internal fights like bitwig scission) and make The Bridge a little outdated...

So To me this is significant in how Serato views the whole ecosystem and I ask myself if it will be better to go with other solutions due to my personal tastes and time efforts.

I will write these blog post because I need to puke all and continue walking but if I have to choose who to expend my next 2 years related to learning code programming I will focus my efforts in mobile platforms most than x86 (or something multiplatform like ofx) because it is still a hobbie and doesn't pay my bills.

I think Serato was sleeping in their success and Traktor has the winner horse at this time. I'm not Traktor user but I'm not Itch user neither (I sold my vci300, my twitch and bought an ipad with behringr dock to perform my live looping sets. I drop turntables before started to study and advice even Ms. pinky... But, hehe I'm still "working" on it to help others and pass the knowledge before left djing itself. I'm getting older maybe...)

Again and to stop this uber offtopic, I will focus on write these blog entries and discuss over there.

I hope someone find this inspiring and make it happen soon or later.

Peace,
-m!
Mutis Mayfield 1:16 PM - 13 December, 2013
Meanwhile you could check the app from stagecraft who implement more of the things (even one of the tricks about mix tape feature) in their apps.

www.stagecraftsoftware.com

Probably Serato take this as scam/ad (like my Scratch decoder post) but I'm not related in business way with any of them (stagecraft was freeware and buggy when I send some of my thoughts time ago)

Enjoy.
Code:E 6:37 PM - 13 December, 2013
I'm a pretty advanced user and I have no fucking clue what your going on about Mutis. Anyone else care to translate.
Mutis Mayfield 7:03 PM - 13 December, 2013
Hi Code:e,
if you don't understand me due to my english, sorry. It is not my native language and I do my best.
If it is related to my suggested workarounds and how to implement them...
Ask and I will try to explain me better.

Asap I will start to write the full thoughts and research with some graphical support.

-m!
Code:E 8:35 PM - 13 December, 2013
That would make sense why. Your english is good. But its just a little hard to follow. But the same thing could be said about me and some of my long posts.
Mutis Mayfield 11:13 PM - 13 December, 2013
Thanks for your kind words.

I will try to do my homework and come back. ;)

Bridge/mixtape is possible in full features ( even the lost ones like clip scratching). Keep this in mind.

Peace.
-m!
studio111 9:32 PM - 18 December, 2013
+1 on bridge really miss being able to use Reason and Ableton loops in itch and DJ
DJ TooHypE 4:32 PM - 3 January, 2014
+ The Bridge & Mixtape feature needed Plz!
djwheatgrass 5:58 PM - 6 January, 2014
+11
Samuel Biti 7:25 PM - 9 January, 2014
+1
Lide 3:16 PM - 11 January, 2014
+1

I switched from Traktor to ssl years ago because the bridge was announced. Now I feel disapponted because bridge seems to be discontinued in sdj.

Want the bridge for sdj just like in ssl (mixtape + clip launching etc) + scratchability of bridge Audio stream

Thanks serato. U can do it!
Bornd Fono 3:39 AM - 13 January, 2014
+1
DJPhillyB 12:22 AM - 4 February, 2014
+1 on the Bridge within Serato DJ
Papa Midnight 3:54 AM - 4 February, 2014
I wonder what may have been of The Bridge support for SDJ if there had been this many people vocal about it when we were asking for it for Itch back in 2011...
deejdave 4:26 AM - 4 February, 2014
I would think there is such a difference in SDJ input due to the amount of actual users due to that actual state of the software. Itch DID NOT warrant such a crowd. I mean to each his own and I know there ARE people who got into it BUT I will never understand why and one thing is certain. It was not enough to drag the SSL guys away from what they were familiar with. I like how ALIVE the concept of bringing the Bridge to SDJ has been lately though. It may be a false one but there is certainly a feeling of hope.
Papa Midnight 3:47 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Itch DID NOT warrant such a crowd.

And why did it not? You think the numerous users with NS7s or V7s didn't want to take advantage of The Bridge? Perhaps the thousands of users with VCI-300's?
lazy soul 12:08 AM - 5 February, 2014
+1
deejdave 1:52 AM - 5 February, 2014
I had two VCI-300's. I am not saying it wasn't any good at all. I just didn't personally like it and don't get how people did. Not saying they didn't though. I am also just saying the amount (whatever it may be) was not comparable to the amount who use SDJ even prior to the new 1.6 release. The point of the whole post was strictly numbers and guessing as to why. Some will think itch paved the way for SDJ but I am just one of the one's who like how it's different. I am also one of the one's who push for it to be closer to SSL (in some ways) a opposed to itch. Just a preference. That's all. Not trying to speak for anyone else which is why I chose the word "think" as it's just my opinion.
studio111 3:35 AM - 5 February, 2014
I agree,
I chose the v7s for there closeness to real vinyl and was very disappointed in itch. So very happy sdj finally supports v7s hopefully with the move from itch and scratch live to sdj serato will be forced to address the desire for the bridge in a timely manner
mixjockey 10:55 PM - 14 February, 2014
I vote for this!!!

I have been Scratch Live User since the beginning, starting with SL1. Before that I was on Traktor Final Scratch shortly, before that on Stanton Final Scratch. So I know, why i stayed with Rane/Serato products. And I was amazed when The bridge came up, I canĀ“t tell you, IcouldnĀ“t believe it! But that time I had to do different stuff, and wasnĀ“t able to do DJing.

But now I am back, and I wonder where the future goes!
I am amazed with the possibilities of modern controllers (which most of them support Serato DJ only) and for sure as a producer I am amazed that Serato Pitch-N-Time is coming for Serato DJ! I sure understand that this was not possible with the software-architecture of Scratch Live (-which was great that times!). But now a different time has come with new possibilities. - Yet I wonder if I should just buy an older Rane Mixer with SSL, hook up the bridge and stuck with it.

The only thing what holds me from doing the step to Serato DJ and a modern Mixer/controller is the missing commitment from serato about its partnership with ableton.

I donĀ“t care if the new product is looking different or has different functionality...
What we need is syncronisation with ableton and something like the mixtape feature. The scratching of ableton sets didnĀ“t work well either, and the clip-launch from the serato screen isnĀ“t necessary since there are controllers like ableton push.

And: I donĀ“t care if it needs two or three years to develop this! But what I REALLY NEED NOW is a clear commitment from Serato as to where the future goes. DonĀ“t tell us details, but give us the opportunity to trust in an ongoing development regarding features like we have seen with the bridge.
I hope to hear from you, as I have to make a decision now (or at least in the near future).

Otherwise I have to start an own company, but I really hope this wonĀ“t happen ;-)

So thank you very much!
G-rod 2:09 PM - 15 February, 2014
Quote:
I vote for this!!!

The only thing what holds me from doing the step to Serato DJ and a modern Mixer/controller is the missing commitment from serato about its partnership with ableton.

I donĀ“t care if the new product is looking different or has different functionality...
What we need is syncronisation with ableton and something like the mixtape feature. The scratching of ableton sets didnĀ“t work well either, and the clip-launch from the serato screen isnĀ“t necessary since there are controllers like ableton push.

And: I donĀ“t care if it needs two or three years to develop this! But what I REALLY NEED NOW is a clear commitment from Serato as to where the future goes. DonĀ“t tell us details, but give us the opportunity to trust in an ongoing development regarding features like we have seen with the bridge.
I hope to hear from you, as I have to make a decision now (or at least in the near future).

Otherwise I have to start an own company, but I really hope this wonĀ“t happen ;-)

So thank you very much!

+1
Muzik Hunter 5:42 AM - 18 February, 2014
+1 on bringing THE BRIDGE into serato dj, but i think both companies should create a new platform that will enable us to see the waveform when u load it to a deck and to play a clip or track backwards
Mr Wilks 11:31 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
+1 on bringing THE BRIDGE into serato dj, but i think both companies should create a new platform that will enable us to see the waveform when u load it to a deck and to play a clip or track backwards

I think the waveform from Ableton on a deck in SDJ is almost certainly impossible as the waveforms we see in SDJ/SSL are not rendered live and are build when analysing IIRC.

You can't "look ahead" with Ableton as you don't know what you're going to do with the audio.

The scratching motion for both forwards and backwards should be explored though.
Mutis Mayfield 12:55 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
I think the waveform from Ableton on a deck in SDJ is almost certainly impossible as the waveforms we see in SDJ/SSL are not rendered live and are build when analysing IIRC.

Do you work for serato or ableton? ;)

It could be possible implement a "force rebuild waveform" realtime function. Maybe it will go against the "solid like a rock" serato stability ( getting some cpu cicles in this function) but impossible? Ms. Pinky maxforlive patch do it from original audiofile source which is not perfect but do the trick (and this is the reason why she couldn't to scratch warped audio due to warping is a function of the ableton clip object)

Quote:
You can't "look ahead" with Ableton as you don't know what you're going to do with the audio.

That's right but maybe you will want to "look backhead" for mixtape and even it could be possible to "consolidate a scene" and make it available for a deck like remix decks. The problem here is about pre-cueing the scene meanwhile you are playing the set. Maybe doing it possible only when you are playing a Serato Deck or freezing "part of Live session" meabwhile you are exploring/bouncing could make sense. I will love hear opinions about something like this...

The scratching motion for both forwards and backwards should be explored though.

It is all dependent from clip slot object in Ableton. If you develop your own (or outside app like the original Bridge) and manage it throught LiveApi to get the info (warp observers, master tempo, duration...) it could be done but one of the problemsto solve is audio soundcard managing. In the original Bridge the limitation about using SL soundcard with SSL make it a bit unflexible. If you have "freedom" to route audio, it is possible to play with buffers and make priority task manager... But in the Bridge it seems booth apps wanted to be the Master all the time... An example of this was the "Live plugin" in SSL side doubling the GUI of Live... Why not use Live only as a "runtime" without any GUI (and make the Serato plugin capable of editing and so on...)?

Partnershipping vs Internal developing. Pitch-n-time plugin/ ITCH&SSL integration / Serato Video with qc... These are the right steps (IMHO of course...)

Next step? Open Midi input/output, Improvements in SP-6 and SYNC (the taboo). About sync, it is not only useful for matching two songs or button pushing... It is useful for "automation" (mixtape), "integration" (in bigger setups like video djing/mashing) and of course for fx (realtime automation related to sound flow). This later is useful for recording and manage these buffers earlier described. Maybe it is not necessary to Sync everything everytime but some "improvements" need some "functions" rear/under them.

If you want to scratch warped audio you must need syncing data (tempo, pitch, duration, direction) between those applications or almost is the most straight-forward way to accomplish it. Relative (to timestamp) markers on the vinyl will be useful (from the point of developers view)

But I start to think is more fast to "bounce" and then play it in Serato Dj (or improve the SP-6 and forget about Live)

Clip scratching is possible (and it could be improved so far from many developers side) but it is still necessary/useful?

Why not talk about how do you (plural) wonder use it?
Mr Wilks 8:41 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, I don't or I'd wouldn't have said that "I think"... I'd have known ;).

There could only ever be a waveform from the playhead backwards if that's the case due to Abletons audio engine. That's not on the part of Serato. Why would we only ever want to see what we've already played in Live and not what's coming up in the future?
I don't think it would add anything new to SDJ to see the Ableton Live stream as a waveform as there is no colour master output waveform in Ableton so nothing to go into SDJ as an input to display.

Adding extra CPU/RAM usage (P'NT already needs 4GB) will be a stretch when the ultimate goal is to better manage CPU and RAM... and that's without running Ableton!

What I want to see it Ableton and Serato DJ sharing warp/beatgrid information.

I use the bridge (as I did from it's inception) with two Launchpads and an APC40 as a power sampler and live remix tool with a 'set' loaded for live use with loops and original track parts/loops/stems. It works albeit, no scratching, (I'm a mixer and don't scratch) and The bridge has done what it set out to do. Yes it needs improving but the only thing that really needs focusing on is the backwards transport and to end the cut out of audio (which is down to Ableton and not Serato).

The clips launch, the Mixtape records and the tracks sync. It works, just with a few quirks.

I run the bridge on the third AUX channel of the SL3 so use it like a Traktor remix deck.
Mutis Mayfield 9:45 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, I don't or I'd wouldn't have said that "I think"... I'd have known ;).

What a mesh! I will love to recap with a Serato fella! XP
Just kidding, I understand but "impossible is nothing" ;)

Quote:
There could only ever be a waveform from the playhead backwards if that's the case due to Abletons audio engine. That's not on the part of Serato. Why would we only ever want to see what we've already played in Live and not what's coming up in the future?

Possibilities vs wishes. I beleive most of us will love to see BOOTH options and let us choose but it is not a "easy-fix problem". As you pointed it concerns to Ableton improve the clip slot object/component if they want to make it possible to scratch clip content without "extra extern" object buffer. Meanwhile it could be performed but not the best solution for sure...

Quote:
I don't think it would add anything new to SDJ to see the Ableton Live stream as a waveform as there is no colour master output waveform in Ableton so nothing to go into SDJ as an input to display.

Well maybe I explain it wrong... Let me try again!
Imagine live stream consolidated into "file" and function "force to reload waveform (graphic)" automatized into SDJ. Just one click over the scene to give it inside SP-6 (or third deck) with full colour and full control. If you practice at your home every "scene/new clip/content" will keep the graphic waveform stored with your project/session. That's how works (without colour due to limitations inside the object/library of) Ms. Pinky.

Quote:
Adding extra CPU/RAM usage (P'NT already needs 4GB) will be a stretch when the ultimate goal is to better manage CPU and RAM... and that's without running Ableton!

Yes, we have a reason to find better/the best solution... I'm still thinking about it in addition to research. I hope post some detailed info for anyone interested ASAP (feel free to contact me if you can't wait but don't expect magic solutions, I'm only puking out my humble knowledge before let the game...)

Quote:
What I want to see it Ableton and Serato DJ sharing warp/beatgrid information.

I use the bridge (as I did from it's inception) with two Launchpads and an APC40 as a power sampler and live remix tool with a 'set' loaded for live use with loops and original track parts/loops/stems. It works albeit, no scratching, (I'm a mixer and don't scratch) and The bridge has done what it set out to do. Yes it needs improving but the only thing that really needs focusing on is the backwards transport and to end the cut out of audio (which is down to Ableton and not Serato).

Populate the warp makers info is doable with live observers, even the start/end points (touchable makes great use of this feature) but it is a lot of data flowing between the two apps... And you must to "set" a master sync for scene (warping could be similar if we work on 4/4 beat basis or completely kaos if you are making glitch so SDJ needs a reference to sync. In the Bridge it was transport leaving clips/scene as a block inside "master" block called "song"...

Why not focus on the "playing scene"? That's why I advice/point to "consolidate/freeze". If you need audio going backwards, you are in the same boat than turntablists. The only difference will be "priority process" but the technology involved (as far as I can imagine at this moment) is the same.

Quote:
The clips launch, the Mixtape records and the tracks sync. It works, just with a few quirks.

I run the bridge on the third AUX channel of the SL3 so use it like a Traktor remix deck.

Yes and it is for me the most intelligent way to use it. I expected it when I heard for the first time "Live feed".

The point is (more or less) to improve backward scratching you need to override the clip slot component object (or ask Ableton about this possibility in future releases) and if you get this work done... Improve the whole system (including mixtape) will be piece of cake (in comparision to achieve the first).

I believe it could be possible make a proof of concept with live 9 and maxforlive but (as I stated in other post) I'm not the code ninja, only a freak student which some knowledge of the DVS/Ableton Api internals trying to passing the info to the coders and trying to "teach" (and learn) others by the way...
Fl!ped 5:50 PM - 1 March, 2014
Brdge back plz
Wuttin 11:58 PM - 3 March, 2014
+1
DJCY 5:37 AM - 8 April, 2014
+1 we need the bridge and Mixtape
MannyD209 4:32 PM - 8 April, 2014
+1
djallstyle 8:07 PM - 8 April, 2014
+1million
skp 8:16 AM - 9 April, 2014
Want to keep this issue alive!!
Not upgrading my 57 without mixtape or bridge.

And really don't want to change to tractor .....
SiRocket 6:07 AM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Want to keep this issue alive!!
Not upgrading my 57 without mixtape or bridge.

And really don't want to change to tractor .....
Draven1327 5:07 PM - 14 April, 2014
.... patiently waiting
The Despicable Nyan Cat 7:40 PM - 14 April, 2014
This tell you Serato's/Ableton's opinion about SDJ...
deejdave 9:43 PM - 14 April, 2014
Or about The Bridge.......................... I am all for the Bridge and I love it BUT "This tell you Serato's/Ableton's opinion about SDJ... " is a flawed statement at best. Serato LOVES SDJ and Ableton Probably doesn't give a crap ........................ as they are no longer gaining from it.
SiRocket 10:48 PM - 14 April, 2014
it's not ableton that's lagging...... ;)
deejdave 12:05 AM - 15 April, 2014
Neither are. BOTH are prospering. They are just prospering on their own as opposed to together. I for one would rather see them together once again but for now we can only speculate as to why this has gone unanswered. There are other requests such as the Denon 4500 support where there are few participants & no answers yet we know why. This on the other hand has MANY participants but I am guessing the reasoning is very different. My guess is Serato has something in mind that they plan to bring to life in the near future. An answer to Traktor's Remix decks with the Ableton layout in mind. .................... THIS I would love to see.
Mutis Mayfield 7:59 AM - 15 April, 2014
+1
It makes sense and to keep the partnership route Serato should work with deeper integration which goes in opposite direction to keep booth software independent.
It should be more reliable (now that the sync is implemented) to develop a powerfull sample decks (integrating things like drumracks ie) and develop a new "timeline/arrangement/mixtape" view with some improvements over Ableton/vdj8/the one approarch... And, yes, there is still some room to become innovative, real and stable.

;)
A_Jack 9:37 AM - 15 April, 2014
Mixtape is a useful feature which should be continued to develop with Ableton. However, I think the evolution of SP6-sampler should be done inside Serato and not anymore by having to use 2 software at the same time.

Midi-capabilities and SP6-sampler are the things that need the most attention in SDJ after sorting out bugs and stability issues. I believe the SP6 can be developed and improved in several ways and here are some ideas that have come to my mind:

1. Loop launching decks similar to Ableton session view and The Bridge but developed by Serato itself for better fit and stability inside SDJ

2. Adding downloadable sample banks and a way to easily switch banks with having ability to load 8 samples instead of 6 - I'm thinking pre made drum kits or vocal packs etc.

3. Adding tone play possibilities by being able to load an instrument (piano/synth) to the sampler and then playing melodies with the pads
SiRocket 11:31 PM - 15 April, 2014
i'm with you a_jack! nicely said.
Muzik Hunter 2:35 PM - 16 April, 2014
+1 a_jack!!!!!
The Despicable Nyan Cat 5:20 PM - 16 April, 2014
If the bridge is not coming back, Serato should implement MIDI-out. If I'm using an external keyboard, I would want to use the arpeggiator on the keyboard in sync (now that would be one cool mashup!).
djcharles 7:00 PM - 25 April, 2014
Even though i didn't use the Bridge as much as i would like to I recognise how incredible that feature is. It takes creativity to an even higher level allowing us to actually produce on the fly. It definitely was an edge over Traktor IMO too
Part of the appeal in switching to SDJ after being a devout SL user for almost 10 years was the fact that:
1- all the features in SSL would be in SDJ (i'm looking at you chronological cue points, AM mode...)
2- would offer better, easier and more efficient software based improvements such as extra FX, extra cue points and loops, the ability to sync (even though I can't get myself to use it yet)...

To me it seemed like the Bridge would be easier to implement than in SSL and a perfect feature for SDJ which already has SP6 sync, etc...
Mutis Mayfield 11:35 PM - 25 April, 2014
@A_Jack
1 & 2 are NI Remix decks...
AdamWhite 5:47 PM - 20 May, 2014
+1 on return of bridge, so useful
DJ Aqueous 8:35 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Even though i didn't use the Bridge as much as i would like to I recognise how incredible that feature is. It takes creativity to an even higher level allowing us to actually produce on the fly.

Exactly. I've come to realize that this functionality, which specifically turned me on to ableton in the first place, may also be why it was so easily abandoned.

I saw Inferno do his live remix routine at the AC DJ Times Expo and when I ran into him on the floor he let me ask him a few questions about the performance.
Real cool dude, great positive energy coming off of him. Anyway, I asked how much prepwork had gone into the selection of sounds and kits used to perform in this fashion and he replied that it was a couple years worth of homemade prep that went into a set that lasted only a few minutes. I realized that at the time this conversation took place that was exactly where I was in the process. Building a solid foundation and library to execute it precisely the way I originally envisioned. Which takes a lot of time, a decent amount of work, and general knowledge about how to compose music.

The problem is: how many guys are willing to put in that kind of work? Most of the guys who are have already made their own work arounds by rewiring ableton as a stand alone or simply playing the keys to a looped back beat etc.

Mixtape is awesome of course. But you don't NEED it to record a good mix.

So other than the 100+ votes here, Serato & Ableton are looking at us like, "Who is really gonna pay for this?"

In my opinion it IS worth it because it will make Serato stand out as the Professional interface for the BiG BoYs who need the big toys as it once did. I think reputation can carry a product much further than the story lines that pure data projections will show.

Is my opinion biased, sure. But beats by Dre didn't sell for as much as it did because the actual head phones are that good. It has that value because it has the perception and image of being the best.

The over simplification:
90% of todays "DJs" are LAZY. If it was easy everyone would do it. If it was easy Serato &Ableton would have stayed the course.
I still want it. No longer expecting it tho.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 3:20 PM - 21 May, 2014
^ So true.
Eloy Garcia 4:37 PM - 21 May, 2014
+1 on The Bridge coming back I used it a lot for live and recorded. I am sad it was not in SDJ!
Code:E 8:56 PM - 21 May, 2014
Eloy you record you mixes with it dont you. Then re sync the video back up after correct?
Adrianphonic 8:00 AM - 23 May, 2014
+1
Wackozz 5:45 PM - 23 May, 2014
+1000000000
The Despicable Nyan Cat 1:53 PM - 11 June, 2014
Quote:

Good luck

Try mixing the #selfie acapella in the sp 6 while mixing 2 other records together without sync.

Good luck
deejdave 7:26 PM - 11 June, 2014
Lol that sounds like a horrible idea. Selfie alone is not something you should listen to at high heights or around sharp items.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 7:35 PM - 11 June, 2014
hahah
Frags 8:12 AM - 5 July, 2014
Bring the bridge back
The Despicable Nyan Cat 11:14 AM - 5 July, 2014
^Couldn't have said it better myself.
dj metut 10:57 AM - 6 July, 2014
i need the bridge for serato dj please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dj Ricky Redz 2:03 PM - 8 July, 2014
Neeeeeeeeeded!!!!!
polromeu 9:07 PM - 10 July, 2014
+1
Culprit 4:43 AM - 24 July, 2014
+1
Axelv 11:25 AM - 5 August, 2014
as Flip is comming out, the Bridge will not come back soon probably
Pop-I 11:45 AM - 5 August, 2014
Ok,

Flip looks pretty cool, but it will not make it possible to really do the live-bit with your own productions as you colud with the Bridge.

So losing the Brigde is still a great loss for Serato

Anyway, I have changed from Live to Bitwig now...
Draven1327 2:17 PM - 5 August, 2014
from the post that sam did on another thread i would say something along the lines of remix decks may be on deck somewhere. it gives me hope for something fun to use with live remixing.

Quote:
Hey guys,

In terms of The Bridge - we've not forgotten and we are working towards developing "The Bridge" like features to address both adding live elements to DJ sets and also recording editable mixtapes but it may not be The Bridge as it was exactly in Scratch Live .

Weā€™ve been doing lots of research with DJs and musicians around what was great about that product so we can make a solution that is even more user friendly and powerful. Thereā€™s no specific news but weā€™ve not forgotten and are doing tons of R & D to investigate what the future looks like for this.

That's the status as of now :)

Sam.
Mr Wilks 2:24 PM - 5 August, 2014
I seen a post from earlier this year that I screenshot that stated they was still exploring The Bridge and how best to implement it.

It may never come back in it's current form but think there will be something involving the Flips and the SP-1 (seeing as two or three days ago they said they have plans for it in another thread!).
deejdave 4:48 PM - 5 August, 2014
@ Mr Wilks. The post above you was just a few days ago confirming they are still working on it even further. It is DEFINITELY coming.
deejdave 4:49 PM - 5 August, 2014
Ahh nevermind. Jumped on the beginning of your sentence and assumed you didn't see that a few days ago LOL. Anyways....................... haha
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 7:02 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys,

In terms of The Bridge - we've not forgotten and we are working towards developing "The Bridge" like features to address both adding live elements to DJ sets and also recording editable mixtapes but it may not be The Bridge as it was exactly in Scratch Live .

Weā€™ve been doing lots of research with DJs and musicians around what was great about that product so we can make a solution that is even more user friendly and powerful. Thereā€™s no specific news but weā€™ve not forgotten and are doing tons of R & D to investigate what the future looks like for this.

Sam.

Just to add to this - we're hoping to develop something for next year.
Mr Wilks 7:40 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Sam.

But it will be better. A kind of Bridge 2.0 with the quirks ironed out.

Nice **smiles**
Mr Wilks 7:42 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Ahh nevermind. Jumped on the beginning of your sentence and assumed you didn't see that a few days ago LOL. Anyways....................... haha

Haha! Yeah, I read so much here and the recent news has come so fast with different products and many comments, I'm lost as to where I've originally read stuff!
deejdave 7:52 PM - 5 August, 2014
DUDE you are so right. The amount of announcements with all the new products combined with all the new features.............. I mean here we are like wow, Wow, WOW with every announcement then BOOOOM! Serato DJ 1.7 Beta. I can't say I am unhappy about this but any more new info ad I would literally have to take a breather. Great stuff.

Honestly THIS is why I chose Serato. I hopes this train of a developer doesn't stop either. I mean I have my use for Traktor & Rekordbox.................... hell even VDJ (with Karaoke when I HAVE to) but there is no denying Serato has got this down.
Culprit 8:04 PM - 5 August, 2014
Could we get the als mixtape support at least?
Will Love 11:47 PM - 8 August, 2014
I really don't see them pursuing the bridge or a partnership with Ableton any further. With their add-on type approach to their DJ software, they'll probably just expand the sample player and go more in the Flip direction.
With as much people as you think are into it, it's really not that large of a user base. Also the whole idea of the bridge was use with actual decks or turntables.
Serato is going firmly into the realm of controllers and I am betting they will not make any more soundcards like the SL4 going forward as they're just licensing DVS through the controller makers now.

I do not like where this software has gone. It tells me to buy it even though it's recognized my sound card forever. And again those in app purchases are such spam-like-ware... Looks like something you'd download on a PC for free from a pop up.

I use an SL4 with SSL when I have to.
Pioneer has more than stepped up with their CDJ line.
Empty promises, again, was all I read about the bridge.
This lost a customer, but what do they care.
Mr Wilks 12:17 AM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
I really don't see them pursuing the bridge or a partnership with Ableton any further. With their add-on type approach to their DJ software, they'll probably just expand the sample player and go more in the Flip direction.

This is more or less what they have hinted and planned.

Expect to see something next year along those lines.
Code:E 6:04 AM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This is more or less what they have hinted and planned.

Expect to see something next year along those lines.

Sounds like you are on a beta program that I wish i was part of.
Mr Wilks 6:09 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Sounds like you are on a beta program that I wish i was part of.

I wish! Closed betas are fun.

It was Sam that hinted it but I've seen references to it a few times dotted about.

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Sam.

Mr Wilks 6:16 PM - 9 August, 2014
And there was a Serato comment about plans to expand the SP-6 at some point which I read only last week (I think).
Culprit 8:17 PM - 9 August, 2014
yes, there are a few private beta's going on this is a fact. No i am not part of them, but i would like to be :(
Code:E 12:21 AM - 10 August, 2014
Quote:
yes, there are a few private beta's going on this is a fact. No i am not part of them, but i would like to be :(

I'm sure there are some beta's we wish we were part of.
Will Love 5:35 PM - 10 August, 2014
The slightly ironic part is this is when the bridge would of worked amazing.
The laptops have the juice to handle it running 64 bit.
Everything could be universally synced without anything occupying a deck.

I'll hold on to my SL4 for a
little while longer to see if they ignore DVS / Rane Sound card users with FLIP.
They're already lagging behind in this way on some features.

If it keeps going in this direction I'll probably get Traktor. That's not a burn, it's just IMO a more solid product from what I've seen for DJing in this way i.e Controllers, cue point juggling, etc.

I don't like this add on approach to features that should be built in.
It's not professional software if it's asking me to buy something every time it launches.
That's cheap.

Save the ads for your web page.

Or, make a real version of serato dj that has none of that fluff 'sell you stuff' GUI, all of the features natively built in (pitch in time, flip, effects, *whatever) nice and clean
SiRocket 8:01 PM - 10 August, 2014
Quote:

We can only dream...
Culprit 9:01 PM - 10 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

We can only dream...

This single handedly is one of the top 10 features of scratch live.
SiRocket 3:27 AM - 11 August, 2014
I don't want to say it's more valuable than sticker sync is to me because the guys and gals might put sticker sync on the back burner... But.....
The Despicable Nyan Cat 5:21 PM - 11 August, 2014
Oh SiRocket, wo' is sticker sync? I just hope you could inform me a little, because I have no idea.
Will Love 10:53 PM - 11 August, 2014
I'm pretty sure he meant Simple Sync and it corrected him... I guess?

It's shoddy at best with DVS. Not to mention the lack of the other sync option.

Beat matching is so easy I don't see the point but if you're going to have a feature it should work as advertised.

Sticking to SSL until I don't need it at all unless they change the app, but I'm not holding my breath.
Mr Wilks 11:50 PM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he meant Simple Sync and it corrected him... I guess?

It's shoddy at best with DVS. Not to mention the lack of the other sync option.

Beat matching is so easy I don't see the point but if you're going to have a feature it should work as advertised.

Sticking to SSL until I don't need it at all unless they change the app, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sticker Sync was a feature hidden from normal users via an 'easter egg' and was good for turntablists.

This video explains more than words Watchwww.youtube.com
deejdave 3:15 AM - 12 August, 2014
They confirmed during the Q&A at DJCity that they will be bringing back sticker SYNC so no worries there.
deejdave 3:16 AM - 12 August, 2014
Not to mention they already have simple Sync that wouldn't have made much sense right?
Mutis Mayfield 4:34 PM - 21 August, 2014
It was written.

In other hand "flip" is the right step in "mixtape" implementation because the fail in the Bridge approarch was the lack of "turntable vector" recording (uh oh automated scratching in Serato? Wait!) but it is not about "faketablism" (like the last Traktor dj app update) it is about right implementation of necessary technologies (like sync) to accomplish certain task. To make a comparisiĆ³n is like midi clock in DAW, someone coming from audio/cv sync machines could argue about "deshumanization" in record techique (or loop based music) profetizing "the end of music (once again)" and the artform... Mmmm, no. Period.

The thing is simple: if you record the turntable vector you could erase/edit mistakes (you could do it with "mixtape" feature but not the metadata related to vinyl spin/scratching) and you could make all syncable (remix decks are the audio clips of ableton inside Traktor).

You must to see (IMHO of course) Digital Software as a vinyl controlled groovebox where you mix the best of MPC/Step sequenced machines with the best of turntable control (playhead if you prefer).

The next step for Traktor will be realtime sequencing of remix decks and maschine projects (maybe early consolidated) into remix "deck". Later will be the reintegration of NML into Maschine software (or maybe a new one in between).

For the side of Serato you should expect improvements in Flip (NML more or less) going way to this kind of intelligent/usefull/not so violent automation. Improvements in Sp6 to be similar to remix decks (more than Ableton Integration which lacks of scratchable Audio engine) and midi/hid external control (like forggotten Torq) to DAW slave/control (due to Serato hasn't anything similar to maschine and maybe was the "point" to partner Ableton...

Another option will be somekind of NUKAI partnership to introduce mpc software (think in all the controllers with rgb pads like ns7mk2 or pioneer)

Who knows? :rolleyes:
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:44 PM - 21 August, 2014
+ .5

I'd just like to see mixtape return
Culprit 12:16 AM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
+ .5

agreed
SiRocket 3:17 AM - 22 August, 2014
yeah... mixtapes return would be amazing!!!

It's my next campaign after sticker sync drops :)
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:28 AM - 22 August, 2014
was it yourself Ricky that got sticker sync implimented in SSL in the first place?
i mean there is stumbling across a easter egg but no one is going to stumble accross naming crates in that way without looking at the coding
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:29 AM - 22 August, 2014
shit ment to pm that
Dj Ricky Redz 5:36 AM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
+ .5

i agree also!
zoomwire 2:21 PM - 22 August, 2014
+1
SiRocket 7:50 PM - 22 August, 2014
Mixtape is the new stickersync now! Time to cause some ruckus after 1.7.1 or can we just turn it on? I'll work with crossfader lag issues until it's fixed. I pinky promise :)
Eloy Garcia 8:26 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
Eloy you record you mixes with it dont you. Then re sync the video back up after correct?

You are 100% right!
Fl!ped 4:08 AM - 6 November, 2014
yep like SiRocket says, time for a new campaign, now stickersync is in the box,

i want mixtape and more bridge, don't like the sp6 too much

still on SSL for bridging, what made me buy 62 and SSL just b4 they stopped it to switch to DSJ...

what's the proposed action plan?
A_Jack 4:39 PM - 6 November, 2014
I wrote something about my ideas earlier in this thread but let's brainstorm a bit again:

How about a sampler with different modes?

One-shot mode
- Load any sounds to the 8 sampler slots
- Play them using the 8 pads for one shot air horns etc.
- Basically what SP6 is right now but utilizing all 8 pads

Drum-kit mode
- Load a 808 kit, 909 kit or whatever from a choice of drum kits to the sampler
- Different drum hits are automatically assigned to the 8 pads
- Bash the pads to get cool drum sounds

Tone-play mode
- Load a synth or piano preset from a choice of sounds to the sampler
- Pick a scale from the sampler menu
- Notes from the picked scale are automatically assigned to the 8 pads
- Bash the pads to get some cool tone play action

Loop mode
- Load rhythmic, melodic or vocal loops to the 8 different sampler slots
- Play and pause the loops using the 8 pads and sync automatically to master tempo
- Basically like Remix Decks or The Bridge

Thoughts?
Mr Wilks 6:12 PM - 6 November, 2014
Quote:
I wrote something about my ideas earlier in this thread but let's brainstorm a bit again:

One-shot mode

Drum-kit mode

Tone-play mode

Loop mode
- Play and pause the loops using the 8 pads and sync automatically to master tempo

Thoughts?

They sound fantastic ideas

Hopefully they'll be looked into by Serato as they confirmed that the Bridge won't be coming back in it's current form but next year when they get to work on something new they'll incorporate more of an "SP-6 on steroids" kinda incarnation.
DJ Compiler 6:37 PM - 6 November, 2014
Hopefully it'll be the beginning of next year.
Fl!ped 9:21 PM - 6 November, 2014
I read yr thoughts last night, among a zillion of other msgs in various discussios, without recallling who said what... sry

I definately want sync for the 62 in sp6 as adding loops on top of the decks

An option to kinda paste current loop from deck to sample slot could come in handy

And while brainstorming

why not add export or save to ableton session (as opposed to arrangement for mixtape)

Record mixtape with all rane 62 movements, icluding eq and filter and loops, must be possible, eventually fx and the like just as automation data with info about the effect so we can assign a plugin or abl effect to it when opening the mixtape rec...

My first 10cents
Wackozz 5:42 PM - 7 November, 2014
Quote:

One-shot mode

Drum-kit mode

Tone-play mode

Loop mode

Thoughts?

So Great!
DJ Compiler 5:58 PM - 7 November, 2014
I love everything you have written so far. I'd like to also add a step sequencer function as well so that we can program some patterns.
Fl!ped 3:13 AM - 3 March, 2015
The Serato bridge is now compatible with Live 9.2 (beta)... says the spex...
freshadon 12:16 AM - 10 March, 2015
+1 Need this to use with Mixtape mode.
Mike Czech 12:43 AM - 10 March, 2015
Quote:
The Serato bridge is now compatible with Live 9.2 (beta)... says the spex...

This is super weird that they would announce that compatibility. SSL has been long put to rest. Are they also working on SDJ things at the same time? Otherwise this seems like a waste of effort.
SiRocket 7:29 AM - 10 March, 2015
One could only dream of mixtape with sdj! :)
Djpushplay 1:28 PM - 15 March, 2015
Please bring this feature in. I just got it working with scratch live and it was amazing being able to finally play the way I want to mixing DJing and Live performance and remixing.
Then I bought my DDJ SZ replacing my 800 and SL1 and using Serato dj I have no bridge :( was looking forward to using mixtape too but no deal.
+1 for this please
Mutis Mayfield 5:42 AM - 14 April, 2015
Bingo!

i62.tinypic.com

It seems my diagnosis and maybe solutions are read by staff...
Djpushplay 5:50 AM - 14 April, 2015
I was about to post this, that was me!!!
Finally some clarity at least about what is happening!
Mutis Mayfield 5:54 AM - 14 April, 2015
;)
Mr Wilks 11:04 AM - 14 April, 2015
This has already been discussed openly by Serato in recent months (Possibly in this thread?).

The Bridge won't be coming back but a similar feature will be added at some point in the near future. It was discribed like a SP-6 enhancement.
Hope it gets here this year.
Mutis Mayfield 11:12 AM - 14 April, 2015
Yes this is one of the usual feature requet (improved sp6) and one of my suggestions (improve the software instead merge two).

Serato still could collab with ableton but keeping the features internally. I wrote it in other topics too: internal recorder xml export (suitable to be opened by Ableton for mixtape editing) or even timeline (advanced flip + improved sp-6)

It makes sense Imho.
Code:E 6:54 PM - 14 April, 2015
Quote:
I was about to post this, that was me!!!
Finally some clarity at least about what is happening!

They have said all of that before. Virtually exactly that before.

Something Bridge like is coming. It wont be the same as it was before, it will be for SDJ only. There is not time frame for it's release. Mix Tape is a different animal and might or might not be included
Mutis Mayfield 10:19 PM - 14 April, 2015
You miss the most important fact: they are aware of user feedback.

Maybe being constructive and informative about possible solutions will contribute to make it happen soon... Or maybe not but at last is funniest than hate :B

I'm getting ready my new blog and (if in this messe nothing awesome happens) I will try to get ready my promised disclosure (or prophecies muahahaha) ;)

Smile mate!
deejdave 10:27 PM - 14 April, 2015
I hope nobody in this thread truly thinks this was their idea and the only ones asking for it thus they must be the driving force behind it? LOL

Just teasing. Happy to see this may be happening but this is not news and we knew this for quite some time. As a matter of fact this was announced publicly via the DJ City/Serato Q&A quite some time ago.
Code:E 10:38 PM - 14 April, 2015
Quote:
You miss the most important fact: they are aware of user feedback.

I miss nothing.... They have said they are aware of user feedback all along. Even before they made hits to something bridge like coming.
Culprit 10:40 PM - 14 April, 2015
They did clarify that mixtape was definitly coming back via djcity.
deejdave 10:42 PM - 14 April, 2015
Many of Serato's decisions are based almost entirely on user feedback and comments from the Serato community. Again nothing new and is a great thing to be a part of.
Mutis Mayfield 7:43 AM - 18 April, 2015
Yesyesyes but wishlist is different from knowledge.

I'm not saying they are getting "my" ideas because there is none as "mine" I read the wishlist, put my own wishes and knowledge, then propse something and how to (internal solutions). It was my job in the past and I can do it today: Explain coders how to achieve user wishes in terms that coders understand and users don't give a f##k xD

Serato had changed until sdj (and Sam gone) so expect different (I notice better) results. SSL is gone, SDJ is growing.

Did you expect non Rane hardware dvs compliance when The Bridge was released? Times change.
Mutis Mayfield 7:56 AM - 18 April, 2015
The way used by the fb message pointing to integrating improvements instead reissuing the old Bridge is what makes me being positive about these statments (because these words were used in the topics related to Bridge, Flip, mixtape and midi clock).

Who wrote them only will be "remarkable" if it becomes reality.

The other point about "how to" is informative for those who want to try (hacks and) workarounds such remote scripting (or even maxforlive). If Serato coders (which has all the knowledge and skills) can take some of these "pointings" and catalize faster the implementation (because it seems the path scheduled) thumbs up!

Only for clarifiying, as enthusiastic student and endless (well sometimes I feel depressed but not lately) ttm implementation in scratch learning"
Mutis Mayfield 8:07 AM - 18 April, 2015
Sorry... Uncomplete post...

... As enthusiastic student and endless "ttm implementation in scratch learning/teaching" promoter I expent sometime (too much maybe) in the last 12 years understanding internals about timecode (from Ms. pinky to digital hardware such cdx) helping/advicing (when not directly designing) projects related to. Learning by the process and trying to teach whatever I learnt and could be useful for final user.

So, the point is: Of course this is a collaborative process, of course Serato claims the same "politically correct" statments but the "words" used seems point to what I explained (technically because as idea hasn't titularity) and (most important) if a non-skilled redneck as me could "see" it, it can't be so difficult to implement by corporation. At least some of the concepts explained were proved in other develops (ms. P maxforlive patch, stagecraft soft, cdx arduino hacking, scrat.ch project, scratchML and so on)

I hope get ready my blog soon and "puke" all the info (with nice graphics :rolleyes:) to make my contribution. Meanwhile I do it here.

That's was my "smile mate!" Statement. I feel new fresh blood under serato skin (and I like it)
Pop-I 12:54 PM - 21 May, 2015
This might be beside the point, but looking at what Traktor will be releasing this summer with the format "Stems" makes me curious on how Serato will answer. The Bridge gave you a really good way to do live permomanceses of your own productions that only Serato had. Now it seems to me that Traktor is posed to take over that part completly is Serato dont either start working on support for the Stems-format or get back on track with som sort of integration with Live or BitWig (Like The Bridge).
jprime 10:49 PM - 15 October, 2015
+1 to the Bridge, or Bridge like elements.
Culprit 2:21 AM - 16 October, 2015
mixtape.. mixtape.. mixtape..
The Despicable Nyan Cat 2:50 AM - 16 October, 2015
pre-mix ableton......
jprime 4:36 PM - 16 October, 2015
No mixtape for me though...if you botch a mix, re-record it from the start.
SiRocket 2:08 AM - 19 November, 2015
Since serato isn't listening... Add your thoughts, complaints, bugs, vents, etc here -> www.fixseratodj.com
TEC21 10:46 AM - 9 February, 2016
+1
DJ Sonny D 4:13 PM - 19 February, 2016
Maybe someone here can help me. I have the DN-HC1000S and I want to map the TAP buttons to the Ableton Sync buttons in Scratch Live. I am having trouble figuring out how "unmap" the TAP buttons from the tap tempo. Thanks.
deejdave 5:25 PM - 19 February, 2016
There is no sync button in scratch live and osa's are not remappable
DJ Sonny D 6:05 PM - 19 February, 2016
Thanks Dave. (There are sync buttons in the bridge btw)
Mr Wilks 8:12 PM - 19 February, 2016
Luckily you can remap the three other layers on the HC1000S (not layer one) but need to press SHIFT + one of the three above it.

You won't get any light feedback if I remember.
deejdave 10:34 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:

My bad bud didn't even put two and two together when u mentioned ableton but tbh I thought u were speaking on sdj anyways as this was an sdj related thread.

I am thinking this may get a bit cluttered and confusing. I am not sure if seratos intentions were for All users of all serato software to post here or not....... Who knows?
DJ Compiler 10:59 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

My bad bud didn't even put two and two together when u mentioned ableton but tbh I thought u were speaking on sdj anyways as this was an sdj related thread.

I am thinking this may get a bit cluttered and confusing. I am not sure if seratos intentions were for All users of all serato software to post here or not....... Who knows?

Well since Serato DJ is the only one being developed I would think its the only one that warrants a feature request section
deejdave 11:11 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
Well since Serato DJ is the only one being developed I would think its the only one that warrants a feature request section

I agree but even the title is a bit welcoming to all "Serato Software Feature Suggestions" should read "Serato DJ Feature Suggestions" etc.

Clearly we can tell in just one days time that this will welcome a plethora of non SDJ related discussion...............
BRUSS 12:42 PM - 20 June, 2016
+1