Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

BPM Decimal Points (and lack thereof)

Andrei Matei 5:11 PM - 1 November, 2012
Hey Guys,

For those of you who are already using Serato DJ, could you tell me your thoughts on the lack of BPM granularity now vs. in Itch? As we know, offline mode is only whole BPM numbers and performance mode is now 1 decimal vs. 2.

Does this matter or make a difference?

Serato Team: Could you let us know the thinking behind changing this from how Itch was?(which I think was perfect!) Any plans to bring this back in?

The BPM handling is my one trepidation about keeping my V7s and waiting for Serato DJ vs. selling and exploring other options.

Thanks very much.

Andrei
elsupermang 5:53 PM - 1 November, 2012
I've think it's been this way for Serato Scratch users all the time. A bit jarring when you come from ITCH and have the extra decimal point. But if Serato doesn't bring it back we will just have to deal with it. If Scratch users can deal with it, I'm sure'll be fine too, although Scratch users tend to be club DJs who have to adapt to crappy equipment and different setups.
mr187 6:12 PM - 1 November, 2012
what is the big deal with it ?
I very seldom use bpm any way at least whe whole numbers is still there that is all that is needed.
BadBoyChubs 6:41 PM - 1 November, 2012
I understand cause i am itch user too. When i user SSL, my songs drift more easily where as when i use itch the drift takes a long time when u have the 2 decimals. To me itch is prefect when i beat match. when u use alot of instruments over songs, that 103.7 and 103.79 is a factor. but hey that what pitch bend is for but anyways i kno i work about any software!
ivan zilch 6:59 PM - 1 November, 2012
i actually care more about 2 decimals on the pitch range %

i use a lot of pio cdj's that shows +- 6% at 0.02 resolution so i wanna see where the pitch fader exactly at
DjTom-i 7:17 PM - 1 November, 2012
Omg. That cant be true that they again did it without 2 decimals.

:-(

Please fix.
Andrei Matei 7:29 PM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
what is the big deal with it ?
I very seldom use bpm any way at least whe whole numbers is still there that is all that is needed.

I think for scratch or quick cut DJs, that's no biggie, but when playing house/techo/etc. the longer, smoother mixes can be affected negatively. Sure you can nudge/adjust as you go (I play on CDJ-900s with no laptop and whole BPMs often, so I get it) but I always thought if you are going to have beat-grids, and go to the trouble of gridding tracks, ensuring you are as accurate as possible is beneficial for the quantization of loops, effects, etc.

Quote:
Omg. That cant be true that they again did it without 2 decimals. :-( Please fix.

I feel the lack of ANY decimal point in preparation mode is utterly mystifying. That's when its MOST important imo. Even Rekordbox has BPM readout to two decimal points in preparation mode, though many CDJs only show whole numbers when you are performing.

Quote:
I understand cause i am itch user too. When i user SSL, my songs drift more easily where as when i use itch the drift takes a long time when u have the 2 decimals. To me itch is prefect when i beat match. when u use alot of instruments over songs, that 103.7 and 103.79 is a factor. but hey that what pitch bend is for but anyways i kno i work about any software!

This. Agree completely.

If anyone from Serato is on this forum, please weigh in. We'd really appreciate the guidance/thoughts as to if our concerns are misplaced or not.
saNppa 7:41 PM - 1 November, 2012
I love to run with and 3 or 4 decks at the same time without sync. That's why I woulkd like to get both decimals back... asap!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:18 PM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
I think for scratch or quick cut DJs, that's no biggie, but when playing house/techo/etc. the longer, smoother mixes can be affected negatively. Sure you can nudge/adjust as you go (I play on CDJ-900s with no laptop and whole BPMs often, so I get it) but I always thought if you are going to have beat-grids, and go to the trouble of gridding tracks, ensuring you are as accurate as possible is beneficial for the quantization of loops, effects, etc.

Hey Andrei,

Is there any reason you don't just use Sync? If you are matching the BPM readout to two decimal places anyway, wouldn't it be easier?

Thanks for the feedback though, i'll make sure the team are aware of this.
BadBoyChubs 9:36 PM - 1 November, 2012
I would love to pitch in on this @samuel . For me Itch 2 decimals are easier and my tracks dont drift compare to SSL. I use the ns7 and it is easier with the ns7 pitch rather than on cdj pioneer. I dont kno why but it is.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:39 PM - 1 November, 2012
I guess my point is, if you are matching visually with a BPM readout to 2 decimal places, why not just use Sync?

I'm not saying that it's the right way to do things as everyone has a different approach. Just trying to understand the value of this level of detail.

Sam.
BadBoyChubs 9:57 PM - 1 November, 2012
i understand ur point but i dont like pressing sync takes the fun out of mixing. i dont mind the 1 decimal , so it not a big deal for me.

they have djs like me that dont like sync.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:03 PM - 1 November, 2012
Yeah, I guess my view is that if you are using a visual BPM value that is accurate to 2 decimal places to match your tracks it's not much different to using Sync.

Otherwise wouldn't you just mix with your ears? Sorry, that's a bit tongue and cheek I know :)

As i've mentioned, thanks for the feedback though everyone. The product team are well aware of this request.

Cheers,

Sam.
serkan 10:05 PM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
I guess my point is, if you are matching visually with a BPM readout to 2 decimal places, why not just use Sync?

+1
Andrei Matei 10:27 PM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
Hey Andrei,

Is there any reason you don't just use Sync? If you are matching the BPM readout to two decimal places anyway, wouldn't it be easier?

Thanks for the feedback though, i'll make sure the team are aware of this.

Hey Sam! Thanks so much for the quick reply. It's awesome that you guys interface so often with us here, esp. due to the large amount of forum posts every day. Much appreciated.

Just wanted to answer your questions, though I do know it looks like this thread is wrapping up and the dev. team will review our thoughts.

1.) I tend to play without sync just because the workflow is a bit more hands-on, enjoyable (for me), and traditional -- more is going on from a performance standpoint too. (You may ask why I don't use SSL in that case with 1200s...and I have that setup as well, but just love the integrated, responsive feel of my V7s with Itch, and Itch's superior (IMO) stretchable waveforms.)

2.) I have a rather unique situation in that I play along side two or three other DJs, all with their own Itch setups too. We beat match quickly back and front and sometimes a quick glance at the others' dead-on bpm is helpful, esp. in really echoy/noisey situations. A lot of times we just go track for track back and forth.

3.) I liked the multiple decimal points (or at least 1 please!) in offline mode because I always tend to grid my tracks there first, and it helps me set tighter, more accurate grids, I feel.

Hope this input is helpful. Thank you for lending an ear.

Andrei
BadBoyChubs 11:00 PM - 1 November, 2012
great Points!

U said beat match by ear. Which is cool, but i like when i do my beat matching. for my beat to stay on point for as long as possible.

Jus to give u all how nice it to mix without sync is! i was in an upcoming dj competition, and after i match the bpm, i scratch in my next on point and without using pitch bend and for 30secs, my track was on point with the instrumental riding the song. It i was on SSL, i can can guaurantee i would had to play with the bend every couple of seconds.
forty 12:13 AM - 2 November, 2012
Scratch Live's BPM readout on the virtual decks may only show one decimal BPM, but if you click on the BPM of the track in the library, you'll see it analyzes it to 2 decimal places.

I'm pretty sure it's working to 2 decimal places but only showing you 1 decimal place.

If you're using turntables or spinning platter controllers, the last thing you want to see is 2 decimal places as it's constantly jumping around due to wow & flutter. You can see this in Traktor when using turntables. Visually quite distracting.

I concur that if you need to beatmatch using the screen that you might as well use the sync button.
BadBoyChubs 2:10 AM - 2 November, 2012
if u all saying if u watch ur screen is best u , Press sync. I disgree. Well is best all djs who use a computer press sync. cause we alll use the screen to know bpm and match it. unless the bmp are identical or close. and if u kno to count bpm in ur head, it takes time. to know unless u have it by memory with a pc to help.

my spin platters on the ns7 holds a beat wayyy long than a cdj on ssl while mixing. without sync.

DJing might be similar to driving a car, some of us need automatic and some of us love manual , they both will get us from point A to point B. Sync is like On Star for those who dont like to read the map and figure how to get to point b.

I jus making a statement. for u all to understand.
forty 2:23 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
if u all saying if u watch ur screen is best u , Press sync. I disgree. Well is best all djs who use a computer press sync. cause we alll use the screen to know bpm and match it. unless the bmp are identical or close. and if u kno to count bpm in ur head, it takes time. to know unless u have it by memory with a pc to help.

A lot of people don't rely on visual aids at all.

Quote:
my spin platters on the ns7 holds a beat wayyy long than a cdj on ssl while mixing. without sync.

My V7 did NOT hold anywhere like a CD unless I turned the motor off. With the motor on, it acted like a turntable and suffered from the same wow & flutter issues.

Quote:
DJing might be similar to driving a car, some of us need automatic and some of us love manual , they both will get us from point A to point B. Sync is like On Star for those who dont like to read the map and figure how to get to point b.

I jus making a statement. for u all to understand.

Fair enough. Each to their own. But surely you can also see why people think it's bizarre that if you're going to the length of matching visually by 2 decimal place numbers, why not just hit sync?
forty 2:38 AM - 2 November, 2012
Just to clarify, I think decimal points is a good thing, just don't (personally) see the need for 2.

As a (primarily) SSL user, the visual read out has come in handy a couple of times when monitors have given way or placed so far away that the you might as well have mixed off the front of house. :(
BadBoyChubs 2:40 AM - 2 November, 2012
For a dj not to rely on visuals , he must not use a computer, must be using vynls.

I jus playing devils advocate here, I never got my bpm to match 97.78 to 97.78 but when i jus feel comfortable if i get to 97.74. that my beat wont drift as fast. that unknown of one being at 97.70 and the other at 97.78 may not seem big to u but it to others.

I use ssl in da club so i accustom to it. these keys are my best friends in SSL "T,Y , G, H" as long as those shortcut there i will survive, lol
[O/][iii][O/] 2:43 AM - 2 November, 2012
Longtime vinyl born n' bred DJ here who of course has beat matched for years by ear, resists sync, and has never understood need or desire for decimal point accuracy, that was until the digital age hit and found it to be an incredibly useful tool for dealing with live gig scenarios where the booth monitor situations where less than ideal, or even worse, non-existant (yeah it happens). A quick glance over at ITCH's XXX.XX has saved me a few times when room delays felt like I might as well be playing in the Grand Canyon. This is where I vote for hundredths to not only be added to SDJ but SSL as well.
forty 2:48 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
For a dj not to rely on visuals , he must not use a computer, must be using vynls.

Coming up to 20 years of mixing on 2 x turntables, I can close my laptop lid or turn it around and it's the same way of mixing as it always was.

You don't NEED to look at the screen.

Quote:
I jus playing devils advocate here, I never got my bpm to match 97.78 to 97.78 but when i jus feel comfortable if i get to 97.74. that my beat wont drift as fast. that unknown of one being at 97.70 and the other at 97.78 may not seem big to u but it to others.

I use ssl in da club so i accustom to it. these keys are my best friends in SSL "T,Y , G, H" as long as those shortcut there i will survive, lol

Manually adjusting for drift is a normal part of DJing for me so I'm quite used to it. Would I prefer no drift at all? Of course, but that's not gonna happen with turntables or spinning platters of any kind.

I agree on the pitch bend keys though. Great tool for very fine manual tempo adjustment when manipulating a spinning platter might bend it too much. For eg: fast tempo music.
forty 2:50 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
This is where I vote for hundredths to not only be added to SDJ but SSL as well.

Have you used Traktor with turntables before?

2 decimal places NEVER stay constant with turntables. 1 decimal place average is MUCH better in this case.

As I posted earlier, I totally agree with the visual aid being beneficial when monitor issues arise. :)
[O/][iii][O/] 2:59 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
This is where I vote for hundredths to not only be added to SDJ but SSL as well.

Have you used Traktor with turntables before?

2 decimal places NEVER stay constant with turntables. 1 decimal place average is MUCH better in this case.

Have used Traktor, but not with TTs. I'll take your word for it that .XX is not useful with vinyl, but .X is.

.XX with digital source has been nice in a pinch
BadBoyChubs 2:59 AM - 2 November, 2012
Respect @forty, 20yrs is a long time.
serkan 8:41 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
Respect @forty, 20yrs is a long time.

Not if your all old ;)

I still don't get it. If I mix by ears - like I had with Technics for the last decade - I don't need any decimal point. Full BPM's are more than enough. It actually works very well with the Vestax platters.

But if I don't want to mix by ear - I just push the damn sync button.

I think I know what's reall going on here...
You don't want the sync button to light up so no noob behind the booth will point at you calling you a looser ;) haha
pdidy 9:08 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
Yeah, I guess my view is that if you are using a visual BPM value that is accurate to 2 decimal places to match your tracks it's not much different to using Sync.

Otherwise wouldn't you just mix with your ears? Sorry, that's a bit tongue and cheek I know :)

As i've mentioned, thanks for the feedback though everyone. The product team are well aware of this request.

Cheers,

Sam.

Thank you SAM, Its sounds better when you say it....I was thinking the same dam thing....lol
Andrei Matei 7:01 PM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
I think I know what's reall going on here...
You don't want the sync button to light up so no noob behind the booth will point at you calling you a looser ;) haha

Quote:

Thank you SAM, Its sounds better when you say it....I was thinking the same dam thing....lol

Guys, I think you may be missing a point here. The interest in beat-grids, for a lot of us, is not as much for beat matching assistance (other than under unique circumstances) as they are for effects and sample quantization. (Assumption is Serato DJ now has this.) Rekordbox with CDJs (not the 2000 nexus) is a great example. You set really tight grids in prep mode so loops and such are perfectly quantized when you perform. You don't use it for beat matching or syncing in that case.

I (maybe incorrectly) understand that additional bpm accuracy aids in the proper setting of grids so these effects, samples are as tight as possible. Again, I'm assuming that effects are now quantized in Serato DJ. Clarification here? I know they were not in Itch.

If the added bpm accuracy is not important, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why it's in Traktor and Rekordbox. (I'm not trying to be argumentative..I'd genuinely like to be set straight as to if this matters.)

Of course we could just all use SSL and/or not worry about grids at all. I mean its not hard to have a perfectly fine EDM/house set in SSL...it's sometimes just not as tight sounding imo.
serkan 10:00 PM - 2 November, 2012
Now I don't understand anything?
Are you talking about accuracy or a 2nd decimal in the GUI. These are totally separately things. SSL and ITCH are using two decimals internally. At least since Scratch Live 1.7.4 (the first version I ever owned).
Andrei Matei 12:20 AM - 3 November, 2012
The way I understand it, the grid you set in a beat-gridded software program is what the program follows for quantized effects. So, what is in the GUI is what is set in something like Itch, but what is auto-analyzed is what is set internally in SSL since grids are not part of the system. Two very diff. things.

Does this make sense? Do I have any of this fundamentally wrong regarding how Serato works?

To summarize, in the above message, I was referencing the control of grids that you set, which effect quantization. In Rekordbox or Traktor, set the grids wrong, and your quantization is all off. Obviously this wouldn't apply for SSL.
Andrei Matei 1:59 AM - 3 November, 2012
...and, in re-reading my above message, I just gave myself a headache, lol. I'm bowing out on this thread. The good folks at Serato have noted our thoughts so that's good enough for me. Everyone, have a great weekend!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:02 AM - 5 November, 2012
Hey Andrei,

It's the BPM value that the FX uses for timing. Your BPM will determine how the Beatgrids are set but they might be off because of the natural swing in live drums or non-quantized beats. That's just the Beatgrid markers though. The FX timing will just use the BPM value though and not the Beatgrids.

Sam.
MoonDJ 3:22 AM - 5 November, 2012
I'm with Andrei on this one. I too come from using tech 12s and love them because they are so darn precise and accurate. The smallest little adjustment on those pitch faders can really lead to a very accurate beat match - I've always believed the high quality analog pitch faders were precise to the 100000th decimal place.

With serato DJ, I haven't had enough time on the ddj sx to really know how accurate the 10th adjustments are but I'm really disappointed this was overlooked. I used to bitch about the NS6 making +-0.04 bpm adjustments on plus minus 6% while the ddj s1 was on point with +-0.01 bpm adjustments. I hope this is a simple software tweak and we get the same precise pitch fader feel as the ddj s1

I am also a dj that won't use sync. I don't want to beatgrid all my tracks - I just wanna throw whatever on whenever
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:24 AM - 5 November, 2012
Let me move this over to Serato DJ Feature Suggestions area :)
3:24 AM, 5 Nov 2012
Discussion moved to Serato DJ Feature Suggestions
serkan 6:17 AM - 5 November, 2012
Am I really losing the point here?
The accuracy of the pitch fader or the effects have nothing to do with with the displayed value.
If the value is 127.81 or 127.84 it will show 127.8 so what?
Just stop looking at the display the software and hardware are already working just the way you want.
Mattatya 9:12 AM - 5 November, 2012
SSL user myself with TT's and don't mind riding the pitch. You kind of have to learn it when playing disco and live music as stated above. I do agree though for helping beatgrid and such there should be a simple fix/update to add it in. In the meantime If your using a 3rd party app to add a key couldn't you use it to write bpms in the comment area to get by?
djjoaop 10:32 AM - 5 November, 2012
2 decimals!! PLEASE!
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:10 PM - 5 November, 2012
+1 on the 100.00 BPM as with the VCI-380 the pitch controll is horrid and around 0% is a nightmare so when im round the 0% mixing by ear always drifts so i look at the bpm and see its not changing correct. So that really helps. But apart from that 100.0 is fine.
Andrei Matei 3:29 PM - 5 November, 2012
Quote:
Hey Andrei,

It's the BPM value that the FX uses for timing. Your BPM will determine how the Beatgrids are set but they might be off because of the natural swing in live drums or non-quantized beats. That's just the Beatgrid markers though. The FX timing will just use the BPM value though and not the Beatgrids.

Sam.

Hey Sam, thanks for this explanation. I see that the way I was thinking this through in my head was wrong. I knew SSL worked the way you mentioned but its good to understand the others work in the same manner too!
Qoolee Kid 4:39 PM - 5 November, 2012
i don't personally care for 1 vs 2 decimal points. looking at the BPM readout is basically using your SYNC button. so if you're worried about the readout, just push sync instead. i make it a habit not to look at the screen when mixing, i'll normally use the screen with no wave forms to help with that. just relying on my ears to get the right mix. of course there's quite a bit of pitch bending from time to time, but that's to be expected.
DjCity 2:09 PM - 6 November, 2012
Yes. This is needed!!!
Just Like It Is In Itch!!!

Include ALL itch features in serato DJ!!!!!
Pete Input 10:07 AM - 7 November, 2012
+ 1 (for 2 decimals).
DjCity 5:22 PM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
i don't personally care for 1 vs 2 decimal points. looking at the BPM readout is basically using your SYNC button. so if you're worried about the readout, just push sync instead. i make it a habit not to look at the screen when mixing, i'll normally use the screen with no wave forms to help with that. just relying on my ears to get the right mix. of course there's quite a bit of pitch bending from time to time, but that's to be expected.

That's cool. I can mix by ear. I don't NEED waveforms. I don't NEED bpm readout. I NEVER use sync.

That being said, I still would like the bpm readout to be 2 decimals. If your going to do something, do it right.

For those of us that need it, it's better that it's there than not. I only use two decks but if I used 4 decks, I just might be using that sync button from time to time and I would be using the bpm'a for sure.

It should be the same as it was in itch.
Alchemy 12:47 AM - 28 November, 2012
Just got my DDJ-SX. 00.1% on the pitch range display in Serato DJ is like a step back to the very first CDJs of the 1990s. (oK i know the adjustments are more accurate, but it would be nice for this to be represented visually).

It would also be nice on the overall bpm, but especially on the pitch range!
SH3PARD 10:17 PM - 23 December, 2012
i see this topic dose go pretty deep i hope this gets fixed soon as iv used just about all the equipment on the market and i expected the DDJ SX to play like the Pioneer i know.
saNppa 3:32 PM - 25 December, 2012
I just bought Twitch to back up DDJ-SX (along side NS6) and I have to admit the knob is far more smart and faster way to adjust pitch than old style fader. Itch has 1/100, while SDJ supports only 1/10. Just makes me conserned, if SDJ won't start using 1/100's it has a good change to fcuk up the excellent feature.
SH3PARD 7:48 PM - 26 December, 2012
im not shore how this forum is monitored by serato weather they look at the numbers of posts or what before they decide to make something happen..

so i will post this here to "could anyone from serato development team please let us know when we can expect this to be fixed ?" BPM Decimal Points (and lack thereof)
TheGreek 11:05 PM - 27 December, 2012
I agree, please put that back on! I bought this midi controller, cause i dont have enough money for a cdj 900 x4 + djm 900. Just cause we bought the midi, doesn't mean we don't beatmatch by ear. It would have been no issue for now, but many beatgrids are not accurate, as you can see from the plethora of posts on your forums.

SO PLEASE JUST BRING THE ORIGINAL ITCH FUNCTIONS BACK!

I been with serato since sl3, ddj s1, and now ddj sx. Please give us what we want, and we will keep buying your gear and software :)
saNppa 5:51 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
I been with serato since sl3, ddj s1, and now ddj sx. Please give us what we want, and we will keep buying your gear and software :)

I'm totally with you on this one. I tried Traktor few years ago, but Serato felt better for me and the result has been VCI-300, NS6, Novation Twitch and DDJ-SX (when the controllerism is out of control). My 1st S-software was Itch1.7. Itch2 was a major upgrade and really liked it, but Itch222 and SDJ have flopped so badly. Makes you wonder, what a hell is going on at Serato?
SH3PARD 7:34 AM - 28 December, 2012
this is what i wrote """when will SeratoDj give us 0.01% pitch rather than 0.1% pitch .. for radio shows or DJ sets this makes life feel like we are moving back in time rather than forwards

CDJ 1000-2000 0.02%
TRAKTOR SOFTWARE 0.01%
SERATO 0.1%

DDJ SX CAN DO 0.01% IN TRAKTOR BUT THATS NOT WHAT I WANT
Like · """

and this is the feedback i receved..

Serato """our software actually has variance at 0.0001 but for ease of use and screen real estate its been rounded visually to show 0.0. If you'd like to see this changed, i'd suggest starting a feature request on our public forum - serato.com

i hear what they say when they say it but then y is it that i have to keep adjusting and pitch bending to keep a mix together ?

tracks keep falling out .. im not new to controllers or djing iv been mixing since 1994 iv used many many many brands and many CDJ's ...
mr187 9:26 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
this is what i wrote """when will SeratoDj give us 0.01% pitch rather than 0.1% pitch .. for radio shows or DJ sets this makes life feel like we are moving back in time rather than forwards

CDJ 1000-2000 0.02%
TRAKTOR SOFTWARE 0.01%
SERATO 0.1%

Like · """

Serato """our software actually has variance at 0.0001 but for ease of use and screen real estate its been rounded visually to show 0.0. If you'd like to see this changed, i'd suggest starting a feature request on our public forum - serato.com

i hear what they say when they say it but then y is it that i have to keep adjusting and pitch bending to keep a mix together ?

tracks keep falling out .. im not new to controllers or djing iv been mixing since 1994 iv used many many many brands and many CDJ's ...

sorry to tell u this But us vinyl dj has been pitch adjustments. when we started djing. U may need to do some practicing with vinyl and this will come to you naturally. I use Itch in Browser mode most of the time and always constantly adjusting pitch out of habit. We didn't have pitch bend of the 1200 we had to pitch adjustments with pitch sliders. If you practice it You will be doing it without even thinking about it.
Always remember to Practice And Enjoy.
SH3PARD 9:42 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

CDJ 1000-2000 0.02%
TRAKTOR SOFTWARE 0.01%
SERATO 0.1%

Like · """

sorry to tell u this But us vinyl dj has been pitch adjustments. when we started djing. U may need to do some practicing with vinyl and this will come to you naturally. I use Itch in Browser mode most of the time and always constantly adjusting pitch out of habit. We didn't have pitch bend of the 1200 we had to pitch adjustments with pitch sliders. If you practice it You will be doing it without even thinking about it.
Always remember to Practice And Enjoy.

lol iv been there and done that my good man you are referring to riding the pitch slider (oldschool tricks)..times moved on since SL1200s and iv chosen to keep up

my cdj 2000s and 1000s never needed the babysitting that the serato software needs .. the ddj sx hardware is not at fault ether (Traktor works fine 2)
phatbob 11:47 PM - 30 December, 2012
Needing 2 decimal points to mix <= sync.

We have tools for this now. If you think using Simple or Smart Sync makes you less of a DJ, but needing 2 decimal points doesn't, you're kidding yourself.
Alchemy 11:50 PM - 30 December, 2012
We just want what a CDJ would give us. On the pitch range thats 2 decimal places.
SH3PARD 11:56 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
We just want what a CDJ would give us. On the pitch range thats 2 decimal places.

+1

Pioneer CDJ 1000 & up all use 0.02%

phatbob have you ever owned a pair of CDJ1000 or up ? if the answer is yes then u know what im thinking ...
phatbob 11:58 PM - 30 December, 2012
This thread is not about the pitch range. It is about displaying the pitch to 2 decimal points. Which none of the CDJ range does.
phatbob 11:59 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
This thread is not about the pitch range. It is about displaying the BPM to 2 decimal points. Which none of the CDJ range does.

Fixed.
SH3PARD 12:00 AM - 31 December, 2012
phatbob and the 2 subjects don't work hand in hand ????

;)
DjCity 12:01 AM - 31 December, 2012
Its not a need but a convince. I do not use sync. Never have and never will unless I start to use 4 decks. Being a hip hop r&b DJ, I doubt I will be using 4 decks.

That being said, I think aerator Dj should have everything itch had including the 2nd decimal point.

Serato Dj has been a backwards step instead of an upgrade.
Serato Dj needs to be at least on par with itch. Not behind itch like it is now.
DjCity 12:02 AM - 31 December, 2012
Damn spellcheck
That being said, I think SERATO...
phatbob 12:07 AM - 31 December, 2012
Quote:
phatbob and the 2 subjects don't work hand in hand ????

;)

No. They don't. Otherwise no CDJs would have a 0.02% pitch accuracy, because they only display 1 decimal point (or no decimals in the case of the 1000s).

It is difficult to mix by ear without a tight level of pitch accuracy, absolutely. But anyone relying on a 2 decimal point display isn't really mixing by ear at all.

And they are kidding themselves if they think that's 'cheating' any less than hitting sync.
SH3PARD 12:20 AM - 31 December, 2012
from CDJ1000mk1 - CDJ2000 pitch % move in 0.02 steps yes (if we could just get Serato to be that accurate it would be on its way)

Serato is not a new kid on the block so we expect what is to be expected and that's were the disappointment has come in and y there is a good few threads like this one
phatbob 12:22 AM - 31 December, 2012
Pitch accuracy is NOT related to the bpm display. Is this really that hard to grasp?
SH3PARD 12:27 AM - 31 December, 2012
no.. because the pitch dose not control your bpm ...?
phatbob 12:49 AM - 31 December, 2012
The CDJ-1000 only DISPLAYS the bpm in whole numbers.

And yet, the pitch CONTROL is accurate to 0.02%.

How are you not getting this?
Alchemy 12:59 PM - 31 December, 2012
Phatbob will you start the pitch range thread?
I will +1 it.
Alchemy 1:02 PM - 31 December, 2012
Its also important that unless the pitch slider is better caliberated than a CDJ's that it ONLY goes up in increments of 0.02%. We dont want another HID type disaster on our hands.
SH3PARD 1:07 PM - 31 December, 2012
Quote:
Its also important that unless the pitch slider is better caliberated than a CDJ's that it ONLY goes up in increments of 0.02%. We dont want another HID type disaster on our hands.

Alchemy i use SERATO&TRAKTOR with my DDJ SX .. TRAKTOR works in increments of 0.01 @ 8% pitch for me
Alchemy 1:10 PM - 31 December, 2012
taht might be ok too (better even). HID doesnt go up in exact increments which is what makes it so un-usable.
SH3PARD 1:19 PM - 31 December, 2012
Alchemy look if the SERATO DJ worked @ 0.01 increments then i would be more than happy just using SERATO DJ (the product i paid for)
Simon Love Carter 2:10 AM - 3 January, 2013
I need to be sure of my pitch level without using beat synch cause I mix song with different styles inside and I don't want to find a dubstep section of my song playing at 128bpm intead of 70 and then I want a 6% pitch resolution cause when you mix a genre like progressiv electro house you have to deal with songs around 126/130 bpm so I need to move my pitch just 2 centimeters. it's to less, I would need more accuracy using my pitch fader. 6% would be fine!
phatbob 2:15 AM - 3 January, 2013
Sync is clever. It will sync 70bpm with a 140bpm by playing at the original tempo. It won't double it.

Probably best to try a feature before you decide not to use it.
Kristian Valdini 5:59 AM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Needing 2 decimal points to mix <= sync.

We have tools for this now. If you think using Simple or Smart Sync makes you less of a DJ, but needing 2 decimal points doesn't, you're kidding yourself.

This.

I thought jog wheels generally came in handy when you needed to 'ride' a mix rather than an extra .01 display???

K
Simon Love Carter 12:38 PM - 3 January, 2013
C'mon guys. People can spend about 2000 dollars for a CDJ-2000 nexus and it has 2 decimal points and synch functions too and you are looking for any kind of excuse for this lack!!!
It has to be there and stop! No need to know if we mix manually, automatically, in back to back, music genres or samples......
Just agree with our request and then serato stuff will make sure to program it in the next release!!!! Don't forget the 6% resolution!!! we need less sensivity too on the pitch fader!!!
SH3PARD 12:50 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
C'mon guys. People can spend about 2000 dollars for a CDJ-2000 nexus and it has 2 decimal points and synch functions too and you are looking for any kind of excuse for this lack!!!
It has to be there and stop! No need to know if we mix manually, automatically, in back to back, music genres or samples......
Just agree with our request and then serato stuff will make sure to program it in the next release!!!! Don't forget the 6% resolution!!! we need less sensivity too on the pitch fader!!!

i plus 1 this ..some people I feel just like arguing for the sake of it on forums IV seen this on many forums over many subjects ... what we are asking for is INDUSTRY STANDARD .. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PIONEER AND SERATO NOT HOMEMIX GEMINI AND SOME ROOKIE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
Simon Love Carter 1:13 PM - 3 January, 2013
Thanks SH3PARD for understanding my reasons.....
I don't understand why serato forum stuff make so many questions about it!!! It's clear we need it, it's professional, useful and could take serato dj software to a new level agains competitors! If I were in that chair that would be so clear for me!!!
phatbob 1:32 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
People can spend about 2000 dollars for a CDJ-2000 nexus and it has 2 decimal points

Incorrect. CDJ-2000 NEXUS displays bpm to 1 decimal place.

Quote:
what we are asking for is INDUSTRY STANDARD

See above.
Simon Love Carter 1:43 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
People can spend about 2000 dollars for a CDJ-2000 nexus and it has 2 decimal points

Incorrect. CDJ-2000 NEXUS displays bpm to 1 decimal place.

Quote:
what we are asking for is INDUSTRY STANDARD

See above.

The correct answer is in the middle.
Serato doesn't show 2 decimal points even in pitch percentage
createdigitalmusic.com

Cdj2000NXS yes.
www.disco3000.it

check it out!
phatbob 2:11 PM - 3 January, 2013
And this thread is titled 'BPM decimal points (and lack thereof)'.

Not 'Pitch percentage decimal points'.

So if that is your concern, you should start THAT thread yourself.
Simon Love Carter 12:38 AM - 4 January, 2013
Ok point taken. In my case the real problem is that beatmatching with ddj-sx takes more time than I needed with my ddj-s1 two or not decimals!! It's like the song slips away so easily from the other!
SH3PARD 8:02 AM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Ok point taken. In my case the real problem is that beatmatching with ddj-sx takes more time than I needed with my ddj-s1 two or not decimals!! It's like the song slips away so easily from the other!

Simon Love Carter its not the DDJ-SX its the SERATO-DJ software
Kristian Valdini 8:48 AM - 5 January, 2013
Just to let you know... 0.1 is perfect when using Pioneer CDJ2000's and Rekordbox, tracks sit perfectly and loops are far tighter than with SSL/SDJ.

I think any 'drift' issues may be with the Serato software rather than the equipment display (coming from a house DJ who runs 'mixes' for more than 8bars).

Not sure how much you would gain in real terms from the additional 0.xx display - but if it keeps you happy, carry on.

K
Simon Love Carter 2:56 AM - 7 January, 2013
another issue could be the dead zone on center position of the pitch fader. it seems to be too big...
SH3PARD 2:16 AM - 12 January, 2013
Quote:
Just to let you know... 0.1 is perfect when using Pioneer CDJ2000's and Rekordbox, tracks sit perfectly and loops are far tighter than with SSL/SDJ.

I think any 'drift' issues may be with the Serato software rather than the equipment display (coming from a house DJ who runs 'mixes' for more than 8bars).

Not sure how much you would gain in real terms from the additional 0.xx display - but if it keeps you happy, carry on.

K
yes the beatgrid analysis needs to be updated its really bad .. i just used my brothers cdj2000's today and they sit tight in a mix .. SERATO get this rite & ill LOVE you forever <3
joseNG 9:11 PM - 20 March, 2013
I agree with that. With 0,01 the drifting issues wouldn't occurr, like in Traktor o VDJ.
Quote:
Quote:

K
yes the beatgrid analysis needs to be updated its really bad .. i just used my brothers cdj2000's today and they sit tight in a mix .. SERATO get this rite & ill LOVE you forever <3
djlethald 11:51 PM - 22 March, 2013
yes everybody has their preference and some people say "i used scratch live with only 1 decimal place. meh." so at least make it an option? 1 or 2? i think that will make everyone happy. step it up serato. there is 2 decimal places in itch and the new flagship software that you are now charging $100+ for doesn't have something so simple as that? not acceptable.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:05 AM - 1 May, 2013
+1
_jeri_ 2:45 PM - 1 May, 2013
+1
Dj Jamie Carter 6:16 PM - 1 May, 2013
+1
masc 4:04 PM - 11 May, 2013
+1 for 2 digits.

I used this for manually syncing speed to daw at times, which is now rather cumbersome.
mr187 3:33 PM - 13 May, 2013
just use your ears trust me it will help you in the long run. those things aren't 100 % accurate anyway.
Kristian Valdini 4:34 AM - 20 May, 2013
That.

K
Simon Love Carter 12:07 PM - 20 May, 2013
Quote:
just use your ears trust me it will help you in the long run. those things aren't 100 % accurate anyway.

With two decimal digits and a 6% range for pitch trust me. It'll be enough accurate to record a radio show really well and 100% professional! It isn't all about live performances and anyway using our ears would be the first thing that everyone has learned at the beginning!
TheOne Andre 5:28 PM - 2 June, 2013
+1 for 2 digits

It´s much better in ITCH with the 2 decimal!!!
So i´ll still use ITCH...

Greats Andre
quacka 8:47 AM - 3 August, 2013
Correct me if I am wrong since I am new to Serato.

In order to get the Slicer and Roll to work good. You need to get the beat grid to be accurate. I struggle to do this accurately without setting the BPM to two decimal places.

I know you can easily edit the beat grid and place markers everywhere. This is time consuming. Since I use mixed in key to detect the song key and BPM to two decimal places. It is so much easier to edit the beat grid, press x on the first down beat, and then press enter to achieve a perfect beat grid.

It comes to another question. I can see that we can enter two decimal places into the BPM field. Where does this get stored since in ID3 BPM is an integer value? The reason I am asking is that I store all my digital music on my NAS. I would much prefer to set the two decimal places for all my songs on a desktop PC and have it transfer over to my Mac afterwards. I tried doing this but it doesn't seem to work. When I load the songs into the library, it goes to whole integer on my Mac.
phatbob 11:01 AM - 3 August, 2013
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong since I am new to Serato.

In order to get the Slicer and Roll to work good. You need to get the beat grid to be accurate. I struggle to do this accurately without setting the BPM to two decimal places.

I know you can easily edit the beat grid and place markers everywhere. This is time consuming. Since I use mixed in key to detect the song key and BPM to two decimal places. It is so much easier to edit the beat grid, press x on the first down beat, and then press enter to achieve a perfect beat grid.

It comes to another question. I can see that we can enter two decimal places into the BPM field. Where does this get stored since in ID3 BPM is an integer value? The reason I am asking is that I store all my digital music on my NAS. I would much prefer to set the two decimal places for all my songs on a desktop PC and have it transfer over to my Mac afterwards. I tried doing this but it doesn't seem to work. When I load the songs into the library, it goes to whole integer on my Mac.

Serato DJ analyses bpm to 2 decimal places already. Double-click the bpm field of any track in your library to confirm. It just displays whole numbers.
Crazyraider 9:37 PM - 23 October, 2013
I'm just gonna throw in two links to two other threads I've participated in about this:
serato.com
serato.com

I find this useful because it's hard to tell if the minute movements I have to make to the pitch slider to keep beatmatched tracks from "slipping" are actually doing anything. It also helps me to determine quite how sensitive the software is to the movements. Some might see that as silly or ridiculous, but this just seems like way too easy a fix...
Andrei Matei 1:55 AM - 15 November, 2013
As the OP on this thread, you guys are going to hate me for this, but now that over a year has gone by, I have a change of heart on this topic. I abandoned Itch and went to SSL last November. After a full year on it, I can safely say that the two decimal point thing is not needed - not even in preparation mode. Having even 1 decimal point is nice in vertical view, as SSL ONLY has a whole number - and that's kind of a bummer. But, 1 decimal on SDJ is just fine in my opinion.

So after years of being babied with Traktor and then Itch, I thought I HAD to have it, and fact of the matter is, I personally don't and haven't missed it. Fine-tuning the mix isn't too bad and once I got over the fear of "not being perfect", I feel (and hope) I've become a better and more hands-on DJ.

Hope not to screw up this thread for everyone else, but just thought I'd chime in with my revised thoughts.

For what its worth, I'll be sticking with SSL for the foreseeable future vs. moving to SDJ, but that's a discussion for a different thread. :)
Adrianotic 8:10 PM - 9 December, 2013
+1 for two decimals
eSanto 8:55 PM - 27 December, 2013
+1 two decimals.
6% pitch range would be great too!
Rhadesh 9:57 AM - 10 January, 2014
+1
Menace 1:47 PM - 1 March, 2014
Quote:
i actually care more about 2 decimals on the pitch range %

i use a lot of pio cdj's that shows +- 6% at 0.02 resolution so i wanna see where the pitch fader exactly at

+1

Serato DJ should show the pitch value (= percentage difference of the current tempo in relation to the original track tempo) with 2 decimals so we can see the position of the pitch fader more accurate.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:17 AM - 26 August, 2014
Hey guys,

If we considered having a setup screen option to show two decimal places instead of one, do you think its also necessary for the additional digit to appear in the library AND the native BPM track display area as well as the current BPM on the virtual deck?

I have uploaded an image just to point out the areas I am talking about: serato.com

I understand that having two decimal places are important for precision beat matching, so having on the virtual deck is the main place. Will it just be distracting in the other two areas?
Kristian Valdini 3:57 AM - 26 August, 2014
No need to have two digits within the library view as well... main BPM on the virtual deck would be enough for most I'd say.

K
Alchemy 4:00 AM - 26 August, 2014
Would we be able to get 2d.p. in stack mode? No need in the library, just where the native bpm goes since there's no space on the virtual deck.
Adrianotic 11:51 AM - 26 August, 2014
Hi Martin,

In my opinion, having the 2 decimals on the virtual deck would be enough.

Cheers
Rhadesh 10:57 PM - 26 August, 2014
Quote:
No need to have two digits within the library view as well... main BPM on the virtual deck would be enough for most I'd say.

K

+++++1
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:06 AM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
Would we be able to get 2d.p. in stack mode?

Yes, we can make sure its in stack view mode too.

Thanks for your feedback guys. Interested to hear if anyone disagrees with you guys and thinks that two decimal places is absolutely necessary in the library or track info display. I am of the opinion that this is purely to provide purpose when beat matching, but not when selecting a track so much.
DickRockafella 2:47 PM - 27 August, 2014
Agree with most of the above - 2dp in pitch and bpm please. I'm surprised this hasn't been added as a feature already - the CDJs I've had before and even my XDJ aero displayed parts of a % of the pitch
BigThie 5:05 PM - 27 August, 2014
In the library it doesn't matter. I would like to have it in the other two places.
Andrei Matei 2:28 PM - 2 September, 2014
I agree with the above posters. Don't need it in the library! Thanks for the continued eyes on this, Serato team!
Adrianotic 2:35 PM - 2 September, 2014
I thought it was going to be included on the 1.7 update :(
Rhadesh 4:16 PM - 2 September, 2014
Quote:

me too...... :(
DickRockafella 9:29 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

me too...... :(

and me
Menace 9:46 AM - 18 September, 2014
Please update the Serato Remote Mini as well to show up two decimal places there.

And important:

If you make changes for adding two decimal places
please also do this for the pitch slider value in the track info display
within Serato DJ and Serato Remote Mini.
DJHessler 9:24 AM - 1 October, 2014
+1 for 3 decimals (Not good enough with 2 IMHO)
And on every place that it is displayed too. :-)
Richard van Looij 11:17 AM - 31 October, 2014
The same from me....

I changed from Allen & Heath Xone DX to Denon 6000 MK2 and also started to work with Serato DJ. As a DJ using progressive tracks I could relie on the software with the 2 decimal figures, so that mixing the tracks was very easy and kept very stable ( for an certain period of time). That changed with Serato DJ. It is not stable anymore (not as it was) and I don't want to use the Sync knob. After several miss mixing accidents I was fed up and went back to Itch.
So I am quite irritated. Cost me a lot of money and time.
How is it possible to make "better" software, from Itch to Serato DJ, but "forget" this simple but very handy feature?? I hoped that it was fixed in the latest update....but not....

This discussion is allready going on for 2 years. I think that a lot of users will be pleased (understatement) when Serato is willing to listen to this suggestion and fix this in the next update.
If not, I think that discussion will continue for maybe 2 years. So, Serato, please listen and help your users. I don't think that this is the biggest "software-adjustement" you have to fix.

Thanks!
Riko Roos 11:25 AM - 31 October, 2014
+1 for 2 decimal points.

But @ Richard: Whats the point on staring at the screen to get the tracks to the same bpm instead just hitting the sync button? Or using your ears (ok, that takes longer)? Going back to an old controller and software just because you are not willing to press a button, what you do anyways with a controller, or fixing the small drift after adjusting with 1 decimal point pre eye just sounds so damn stupid to me.... sorry...
DJ Compiler 4:42 PM - 31 October, 2014
Its in the beta guys. Official release is coming soon
Rhadesh 10:26 AM - 25 November, 2014
now just need 6% Pitch. and this will be the best dj software ever............
DJHexum 11:44 PM - 25 April, 2017
+ 1 on the ZERO decimal point option in SDJ similar to the "pure" form in SSL which never had decimal points. EASY code change.