DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What are the best speakers for a mobile dj?

Funsho 1:55 AM - 2 May, 2008
I am still debating between powered pa speakers or pa speakers w/ an amp setup. Which are more reliable and what works best and what are your suggestions? Thanx for the help
dj buterd hams 1:59 AM - 2 May, 2008
there a saying always keep your equipment separate . so speakers with amps if the amp blows your out a speaker and am. so maybe keep the separate
Julls 2:48 AM - 2 May, 2008
I prefer the B-52 Matrix series. Best bang for the buck! I also roll with some double 15's sometimes too. It all boils down to what type of events you want to do.
Rebelguy 2:53 AM - 2 May, 2008
Then again if you are at a gig and the amp goes out you have no sound. The chances of both powered speakers going out is slim. If one goes out you can still carry on.
Julls 2:55 AM - 2 May, 2008
I roll into every mobile gig with a complete backup! Failure is not an issue if you have a plan.
mle 3:42 AM - 2 May, 2008
Get powered speakers... Easy setup, no extra eq'ing to tune them just right. Find the lightest powered speakers to save your back. Good 15's are usually around 50lbs. If you want something that sounds good but really light look at the RCF 310A's. It all depends on the size of the venue and crowd. But a pair of PRX515's have been good enough for most of my gigs.
dj_elite 4:57 AM - 2 May, 2008
there's no had and fast rule on what's more reliable and what's not... and what's better.

i use both, and each has their advantages.

powered- amp is built in and matched but you have to run a power cord to each speaker. many are light weight due to plastic cabs, but sound, at least in those i've experienced, suffers.

unpowered- more flexibility to build a system, one main point for power. individual cabs probably weigh the same but sound better due to wood cabs... but then there's an amp

there's no winner really. just your preference.
Rebelguy 2:45 PM - 2 May, 2008
The only problems I see with your arguments are that you still have to run speaker cable to the cabinet from the amp rack so either way there is a cable. I actually had cables made that are power and XLR in one cable so there is less mess.

The other thing is that they do make powered cabinets that are wood. The QSC HPR-122 is a great example of a powered cabinet in a wooden box. It sounds way better than the Mackie SRM or JBL Eon/PRX offerings. Oh and the PRX is a wood cabinet as well.
DJDiablo 3:18 PM - 2 May, 2008
Depends on your needs. I personally would recommend powered speakers.

I sold my regular DJ speakers and picked up a set of Electro Voice SXA100+ powered speakers. In my opinion, they sound great and are easier to transport.

Like dj_elite said, both have advantages and disadvantages but both are excellent choices.
cesdogg13 3:40 PM - 2 May, 2008
Quote:
I prefer the B-52 Matrix series. Best bang for the buck! I also roll with some double 15's sometimes too. It all boils down to what type of events you want to do.

I second that! B-52 Matrix won't let you down. Plus its very easy to set up, a little bulky but what isn't in the mobile dj game?
MusicMeister 3:43 PM - 2 May, 2008
Here's the main difference....

Flexibility.

Powered speakers are more flexible than passives. Mobile DJ's often require this for unusual setups we're sometimes required to play.

And while some of the 'entry level' powered speaker offerings are 'ok' soundwise, if you get up to the higher end products like QSC and some of the Yorkville stuff the sound quality is significantly better.

The biggest advantage of powered speakers is the ability to send a signal to it wirelessly. With most, if you're doing cocktail hour music in a seperate room you can also hook up an iPod and walk away.

FLEXIBILITY and overall weight is the advantage of the powered speaker.

Passive speakers are going to require amps. And if you do it 'properly' you'll need crossovers. Personally I'd look at a Driverack PA (or better) or the Behringer DEQ2496/DEP2496 pairing for EQ/processing and multiple amp set ups.

People talk about loosing an amp and it killing the gig... but if you KNOW your set up you aren't down if you loose an amp. Besides, you can always throw a spare amp in the cabinet. Think of it like this. You set up w/ 2 amps and you loose one. You rewire to the working amp so you use one channel for 'highs' and the other for 'lows'.

If you go with an active (powered) speaker setup then I'd recommend having a spare amp with you - even if it's something cheap and heavy like the Behringer 2500 ($350).

With passive cabs you can get a MUCH bigger sound. You'll likely have to get away from powered speakers if you start playing to really big crowds of 1500+ - especially outdoors. But at that point you should probably be flying arrays.... Which is overkill for most mobiles... and if you're playing those types of gigs you probably have a production crew or will hire it done.

In short... what you go with should be determined by your budget and needs. I use a sound system that is flexible and works well for me. It's not perfect for everything, but it works for the types of gigs I do. Knowing the limitations of your equipment is another important part of sound reinforcement... but that's a topic for another thread.

In short....

The JBL Eon G2's, Mackie SRM 450 V2's, Yorkvile NX550P/NX750P, B-52 Matrix 1000/2000, and most basic passive set ups will work for most mobile gigs.

I recommend identifying:

1. How much can you spend?
2. What's important to you? Prioritize them (weight, SPL, ease of use, etc)
3. How much SPACE do you have to move this stuff. Passive often takes up significantly more room (amp rack, speakers, etc).
4. How much do you know about sound reinforcement? If you don't know much about EQ, crossovers, gain structure, etc - you should probably go powered.
5. What type of gig do you normally play? The equipmented needed for a back yard BBQ, a 150 person party, or a wedding is very different from what's needed for a school dance with 800 people. Not only in the amount of sound but also the TYPE of sound.

There are other things to consider as well but this should get you on the right direction....
MusicMeister 3:45 PM - 2 May, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I second that! B-52 Matrix won't let you down. Plus its very easy to set up, a little bulky but what isn't in the mobile dj game?

I do recommend the B-52 in bang for the buck. That sub is a beast though. You really need to make sure it will fit in your vehicle AND that you can load it in and out (it's over 100lbs).

As for what isn't bulky? Bose. ;-)
dj_elite 4:10 PM - 2 May, 2008
Quote:
The only problems I see with your arguments are that you still have to run speaker cable to the cabinet from the amp rack so either way there is a cable. I actually had cables made that are power and XLR in one cable so there is less mess.

The other thing is that they do make powered cabinets that are wood. The QSC HPR-122 is a great example of a powered cabinet in a wooden box. It sounds way better than the Mackie SRM or JBL Eon/PRX offerings. Oh and the PRX is a wood cabinet as well.

rebelguy,

it was late, i wanted to make a quick summary. you bring up a good point, BUT my point wasn't that you have to run the cable- since you have to do that either way, but with a lot of setups, it's easier to run a speaker cable to each speaker (and possibly daisy chain a few) than to run both a signal and a power cable to each speaker- carrying that much more AC cable and having to find outlets everywhere. not too bad with a pair of 15's on sticks- throw powered subs into the mix, it can be a big PITA.

also, i didn't say there aren't wooden powered cabs, but i was mentioning it in a discussion of weight. JBL eons (plastic cabs) are some 50-55 lbs, while QSC's powered 15 w/ a wood cab is close to 100lbs. this is obviously just one example, since i know there are lighter powered 15's and there are wooden 12" cabs that are about the same weight as plastic 15's, but its something worth considering.
dj_elite 4:13 PM - 2 May, 2008
anyway, ditto what MM said at the end of his first post. figure out what you'r elooking for first
Rebelguy 7:22 PM - 2 May, 2008
Depends what speakers you are running. I run one AC/XLR cable to my subs and then jump from there to the tops. It's very clean and a snap to set up. I don't think I would ever buy 15 inch tops. Besides the weight the vocals and mid-range are a lot cleaner on 12 inch cabinets.

I do get what you are saying though.
Rebelguy 7:22 PM - 2 May, 2008
+1 on what MM said also.
sixxx 8:59 PM - 2 May, 2008
Quote:
I roll into every mobile gig with a complete backup!

I still don't understand this and I think I never will. If you buy quality equipment, (especially amps/speakers) the chances of something failing are slim... almost NONE. So small that carrying a complete backup seems... well, stupid.

That's just my opinion.

-----

Quote:
if you're doing cocktail hour music in a seperate room you can also hook up an iPod and walk away.

Why am I not surprised to see a post from MM like this one? lol
MusicMeister 1:13 AM - 3 May, 2008
Because cocktail music typically last for an hour, there's no place to set up, and they want you to put music in there? Doing this is almost a MUST when it's out of wireless shot... which hasn't happened yet, but it's going to happen at 2 events I have booked in the future. When you play some of the venues I do you do what you got to do to make the client happy - even if it means doing what I described (although, to be honest, I don't own an iPod!).

As for backup, there is 'backup' and there is 'backup'.

A simple backup, just in case something goes wrong makes sense.

I have wireless lavalier mics for wedding ceremonies. I also have a wireless handheld. But I also have a wired mic just in case the wireless doesn't work.

For my 'main' setup I bring a backup hard drive, laptop, and enough CD's to 'get through' the night if all hell breaks loose. I have enough cables and adapters to open a small Radio Shack store.

But in short, it's a matter of risk analysis. If the likelihood of failure is great then you bring a full backup of that. If the likelihood of failure is minimal you might bring something as an alternative but not a full on replacement. We do the same thing in the IT world. Manage the risk or the risk will OWN you.
Funsho 1:58 AM - 3 May, 2008
Thnx for the advice pple. The speaker setup I was looking @ was the yamaha S115v and debating the mackie FRS1700 amp or the behringer EP2500. The mackie is alot lighter than all the others in its power/price range..only about 21 pounds
Julls 2:07 AM - 3 May, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
I roll into every mobile gig with a complete backup!

I still don't understand this and I think I never will. If you buy quality equipment, (especially amps/speakers) the chances of something failing are slim... almost NONE. So small that carrying a complete backup seems... well, stupid.

That's just my opinion.

If something takes a shit on me during a gig, I can be back up and running within 2-3 min. I carry 4 hard drives, 3 PA's, 2 laptop's, spare mixer, spare mic's, and all kinds of other stuff. Even if you have quality gear, you never know what can happen. Do you really wanna "be that guy" if something fucks up and the show can't go on?
sixxx 2:14 AM - 3 May, 2008
Overkill.

Mixer failing? Gotta be kidding me. I can see a power adapter dying (has happened to me on a vestax but I had a replacement). Amp? if you have a big enough set up... you probably have more than one or more than one powered speaker. And for big gigs, I'm sure you have more than 4.....

4 hard drives? Get the fuck outta here. You only need 2. A back up and the main one.

2 laptops? OK. I'll give you that one.

Quote:
Do you really wanna "be that guy" if something fucks up and the show can't go on?

I have never AND WILL NEVER be that guy... but it seems you're THAT GUY who just carries way too much. Like I said, a COMPLETE BACKUP suggest 2 of everything. Basically, you're carrying 2 complete set ups. Meaning, you're using one while the other sits there. A COMPLETE SETUP.

Get outta here.
sixxx 2:17 AM - 3 May, 2008
... and you KNOW if something is failing when you're at a gig... I've never seen an amp just go poof... and it's gone. Or a speaker for that matter. There are signs that tell you something is not right... which means, you replace it when that happens so you don't ever go dead at an actual gig.

How about this. How about checkin' your set up before you head to a gig.

That's just me though. I guess I don't like to do double work.
Julls 2:27 AM - 3 May, 2008
Quote:
... and you KNOW if something is failing when you're at a gig... I've never seen an amp just go poof... and it's gone.

I have! Ask Music Meister, he was there when it happened.
Julls 2:28 AM - 3 May, 2008
Quote:
Get outta here.

You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. I know what's in my trailer.
sixxx 2:33 AM - 3 May, 2008
Quote:

American DJ? Gemini? Wait.. let me guess... (insert any other cheap brand here). Were you driving the amp too hard? lol
sixxx 2:34 AM - 3 May, 2008
Quote:

Was he playing? lol

You DJ so bad, you killed the amp with your trainwrecks. lol
Julls 2:36 AM - 3 May, 2008
Actually yes, he was playing at the time. I think it was a Behringer EP 2500 and a Wharferdale (sp?) speaker.
Julls 2:39 AM - 3 May, 2008
When that shit happened it was hella funny! We just looked at each other and were like, "Fuck it". I think the vents on it were blocked, so it had no air flow going through it.
Rebelguy 2:54 AM - 3 May, 2008
Quote:
Overkill.

Mixer failing? Gotta be kidding me. I can see a power adapter dying (has happened to me on a vestax but I had a replacement).

I have seen some crazy shit happen with mixers. Things ranging from left channel going out to a whole channel strip dying to seeing a drunk guest spill a drink into one and the party ending early. Do I bring a backup mixer...no but shit does happen.
sixxx 2:58 AM - 3 May, 2008
Spilling stuff over ANY EQUIPMENT... well, duh. That's bound to break something down. lol

Behringer... figures...

And yeah, user error: blocked vents. lol

I visually inspect stuff before a gig especially if I had 'minor' problems the night before.
DJCalibur 3:31 AM - 3 May, 2008
I love my powered EON G2s. I have nothing but good things to say about them. The powered Mackies are good too!
DjRekTek 3:44 AM - 3 May, 2008
Sixxx....you do mobile or just clubs?
dj_elite 3:56 AM - 3 May, 2008
Quote:
Thnx for the advice pple. The speaker setup I was looking @ was the yamaha S115v and debating the mackie FRS1700 amp or the behringer EP2500. The mackie is alot lighter than all the others in its power/price range..only about 21 pounds

back on topic.... i would trust mackie over behringer ANY day. the yamahas are a decent choice. ive only used them once, but they were pretty solid when i used them. nothing wrong with your choices... just don't clip that amp. buy as much amp as you can afford... seriously. the biggest mistake people make is UNDERpowering speakers... when you UNDERPOWER you turn up the amp higher, clip it, and damage your speakers. beware.
sixxx 9:41 AM - 3 May, 2008
Quote:
Sixxx....you do mobile or just clubs?

I did mobile for many years. Now I do mostly clubs and a few select mobiles.
MusicMeister 3:32 PM - 4 May, 2008
On the night it happened, actually Julls and I had swapped off a couple times.

It was a new install and the owner of the mobile company had put that amp there. I told him it was a bad idea, but he insisted. Were were pushing that amp pretty hard and then all of a sudden we noticed that one side had died on the amp. I told Julls to spin, went over, looked at the amp, realized one channel was dead, pulled the banana plugs from one side, stacked it on the other (dropping that channel to 4 ohms), pulled the amp out from the area blocking it and we finished out the last 30 minutes of the night.

Julls carries a lot of stuff... but he also has a trailer that he keeps it all in. It's not that big a deal for him to bring that - because it stays in the trailer. I have backup, but again, I try to be reasonable in what I bring. I have a seperate ceremony rig. It has a mixer, Numark D2, 2 mics, compression, and a few other things. I often bring it with me to my gig because I'll be using it - AND it's also a small rig that's a nice backup. I can wire up to it a couple different ways with my 'main' setup if there is a problem and cover a lot of potential issues. I've never had to, but it's nice to know I have it.

And yes, sixxx, you can get overkill on backup. What's next? The power might go out so I bring a 20,000 watt generator? Puh-lease.... I'll stick to risk management... I know what 'might' fail on me and I bring a 100% backup for that and it's WITH ME in the venue. I have other equipment that I bring that I leave in the vehicle because it's possible for it to fail, but not 'likely'. And the failure isn't normally 'immediate'. Then there is stuff that isn't like to fail on me. I've never heard of it failing for anyone who owns it... and I don't think to bring backup for that equipment at all.

And yes, I test all my gear on a regular basis. My 'sound rig' is set up at home in a spare bedroom. My PA has never failed, nor do I know anyone that owns one to have one fail. But my PA is suitable for about 600 people, and I've yet to have a gig with even half that number. In other words, I could get by on half my PA system if I 'had' to.

As for the Behringer amps, they're old school and older technology. HEAVY and HOT (if you push them). But they're hard to kill unless you choke them off (like most amps). Julls has a 1500 that's rock solid. But again, HEAVY. As for the Mackie amps.... for not much more you can jump to a QSC. And I'd take a QSC over a Mackie any day and twice on Sunday.
djdale 9:12 PM - 4 May, 2008
I have 2 RCF 310A for my tops and 1 RCF 705AS for my sub. ALL ACTIVE
mle 9:27 PM - 4 May, 2008
Quote:

Yeah, those 310A's are nice and light :-) I should have gone for those instead of 15 inch tops...
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 6:47 AM - 5 May, 2008
Quote:
Depends what speakers you are running. I run one AC/XLR cable to my subs and then jump from there to the tops. It's very clean and a snap to set up.
raybull i likes them ideeas to fallows you thanks
djdale 9:36 PM - 6 May, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, those 310A's are nice and light :-) I should have gone for those instead of 15 inch tops...

I got the bags for them too. They are great, Just unzip the flap while it's on the tripod and velcro to the back. No need to take em out to play em.
DJ_JC 5:11 AM - 7 May, 2008
It all depends how much you want to spend...i started with some yamaha's 15" and a Mackie 1400i Amp it sounds really good...then after saving for a while i now own a EV SBa 760 powered sub, and a pair of EV SXa 360 powered speakers...these speakers are very expensive but awesome sound quality. I just DJ as a hobby some events here and there and mostly house parties..it all depends what you want to do and how much you want to spend/invest! good luck
DJ GaFFle 9:51 AM - 7 May, 2008
I just revamped my mobile rig. I used to run 2 Mackie SRM 450s and 2 Mackie SWA 1501s. I just traded the 1501s to Sam Ash and got a QSC HPR181i subwoofer. It's pretty big but I spent 2hrs. A/B'ing to the Mackie 1801, EV SBa 760, EV SBa 180 and Mackie 1501s.

Crushed the Mackie 1801. The 1801 series (at least the in-store models at both Sam Ash and GC here in Atlanta) have issues. They fart and pop sound like tin cans when pushed too hard. They also have a hellish vibration noise coming from the front. I had to put my knee against them to stop (loose screws I guess). I couldn't be dealing with this crap long-term so these were a no go. I will say they hit really hard, especially on upper-range lows.

EV SXa180. These sound good in comparison but have no caster wheels, they're too large, use a proprietary power cord and they pick up a little too much mid tones for my taste.

Mackie 1501. Sounds good but lacks the power I need for larger (350+) events. I will miss the smaller size though.

EV SBa760. These hit HARD in comparison to the Mackie 1501s. They still have that proprietary power cord and a stupid THREADED speaker pole mount (???) but I strongly considered these subs. The lows were slightly lower than the Mackie 1501s but they hit MUCH harder especially in the upper bass areas. They were making most everything in the area vibrate which could throw you off. They have a soft cloth lining on the inside of the grill which was also making some vibration noise that was irritating but I could tell these speakers were great especially for their size. Pricey at over $1400 each.

QSC HPR181i. Overall, none of the other speakers match this in sub SOUND QUALITY. These seem like the definition of what a sub should sound like. The built in crossover point/limiter is top notch and they hum nicely. No other speaker hit lower than these either. They can be described as smooth, full sounding and give you nothing but the lows...no funny vibrations, snaps, crackles or surprise pops (aka Mackie 1801s). They're big at 127lbs. and sort of awkward (being sort of wide) but have great caster wheels on the bottom. They manuever really well and I will get a tri-fold dog ramp for my SUV for one-man loading. The price, after trade-in, only ran me $160. I'll be saving up for the other 1801 down the road...

I'm debating if I'll ever switch from my Mackie 450s. I compared them to the QSC HPR121s. The HPR121s have a better tone and less harsh highs at higher volumes but seem like they are missing low-end bass. It seems these speaker would be great with a sub but don't gig with them solo unless you're not concerned with bass-heavy music (aka: carry a sub with you).

I also listened to the EV SXa360. These were cristal clear, even at high volume. What I didn't like was the fact they had that damn proprietary power cord and NO built-in crossover controls. In other words, they don't handle bass notes very well. I would never run these without a sub w/built-in crossover or an external crossover (they'd sound terrible solo).

Hope this helps ya'll...
Rebelguy 3:19 PM - 8 May, 2008
Quote:

I also listened to the EV SXa360. These were cristal clear, even at high volume. What I didn't like was the fact they had that damn proprietary power cord and NO built-in crossover controls. In other words, they don't handle bass notes very well. I would never run these without a sub w/built-in crossover or an external crossover (they'd sound terrible solo).

Hope this helps ya'll...

Great reviews. The QSCs do rock. As far as the EVs. Those actually aren't custom Power Cords. They use Neutrik Powercons which are the standard on higher end systems like Meyer, EAW, JBL, etc. It's really a great connector as they twist in and lock so they can't get pulled out during an event.
MusicMeister 5:38 PM - 8 May, 2008
They also handle higher current loads than IEC style connectors will.
Rebelguy 6:30 PM - 8 May, 2008
Yup...20 Amp
DJ GaFFle 6:57 PM - 8 May, 2008
Quote:
They also handle higher current loads than IEC style connectors will.

I feel dumb now but thanx for educating me. Well that's another PLUS for the EV's.
Funsho 6:05 PM - 14 May, 2008
Thnx for all the info guys.. I went w/ the yamaha S115V's and a QSC GX5 amp to start out with. Some point down the line I'll also look to get powered speakers
DJ GaFFle 8:19 PM - 14 May, 2008
Quote:
Thnx for all the info guys.. I went w/ the yamaha S115V's and a QSC GX5 amp to start out with. Some point down the line I'll also look to get powered speakers

Those Yam S115v's are cheap in $ but great on sound. If I was really budget conscious and looking for some passive's, I'd have chosen those too.

I'm not too sure about that QSC GX series for those speakers. I was looking at the specs and although they show 500w/channel at 8ohms, that value is spec'd at only 1khz. QSC purposely left off the 8ohm 20-20khz full musical spectrum power rating range (which will be a lesser wattage rating).

I'd be careful with driving that amp to the limits with those speakers. Underpowering kills drivers quicker than overpowering...
DJ Johnny G562 9:15 PM - 1 February, 2013
The best Sounding speakers I've used to do mobile gigs is JBL SRX 728s and 725s along with Crown ITECH 6000 and 8000 amps....GO BIG or GO HOME!
pdidy 4:59 AM - 2 February, 2013
Quote:
The best Sounding speakers I've used to do mobile gigs is JBL SRX 728s and 725s along with Crown ITECH 6000 and 8000 amps....GO BIG or GO HOME!

Great system but it gets failing grades for basic mobile use.
pdidy 5:04 AM - 2 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Great system but it gets failing grades for basic mobile use.

ACTUALLY THE JBL SRX 728 is the only issue, the srx718 is much more scalable for mobile use.
DJ Johnny G562 6:14 AM - 28 February, 2013
Not if you have a way to haul it around!
pdidy 7:07 AM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:

You have totally missed the point if you think having a way to haul it around qualifies it as good for mobile use. I would love to see that vehicle help you take a pair of jbl srx728 up a flight of stairs by yourself.....lol
DJ GaFFle 1:05 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

You have totally missed the point if you think having a way to haul it around qualifies it as good for mobile use. I would love to see that vehicle help you take a pair of jbl srx728 up a flight of stairs by yourself.....lol

People think a dolly is the do-all answer to an unwieldy speaker... it's not.
dj jamalot 2:16 PM - 28 February, 2013
I own a 728s and the mrx i forget the model i think its a 525 double 15 i bought it over the 725 because of cost the 725 is a beast but for mids / highs the 525 is perfect light weight i need it compared to that monster 728s pushed with a qsc 4050 bridged mono i went that way over the 5050 because it requires a dedicated 20 amp power source and not all venues have that...
dj jamalot 2:20 PM - 28 February, 2013
but that 728s knocks the socks off anything mentioned here as my man said go big or go home and have a dj mobile capable of moving concert grade speakers... the qsc 181 is a great speaker as well nice tight bass i owned one before the 728s but one i bought that 728s i never looked back.
pdidy 7:04 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
but that 728s knocks the socks off anything mentioned here as my man said go big or go home

Wrong, maybe you should read it again.

Quote:
and have a dj mobile capable of moving concert grade speakers...

you too have completely missed the point....
the_black_one 7:15 PM - 28 February, 2013
Mobile system.... Again
Dj R. Driver 7:20 PM - 28 February, 2013
free speakers are always the best
DJ GaFFle 10:55 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
but that 728s knocks the socks off anything mentioned here as my man said go big or go home and have a dj mobile capable of moving concert grade speakers...

I agree with the go big or go home thought but that's only when you're dealing with large crowds and you really want to pound them with sound. I disagree with your first statement though... I'd put my single TH-118 sub up against your SRX728 running full tilt + an extra SRX718 turned half way up. :-)

As far as mobile DJ, I think casters are a must. My sub is 160 lbs but it has handles, solid quality casters and it is sort of tallish which allows me to lean it against my SUV's tailgate and push it in by myself. (nm)
dj jamalot 11:22 PM - 28 February, 2013
Th 118 made by who... I know not cerwin vega! I got some earth quakes as well and they aren't in the same league...
dj jamalot 11:25 PM - 28 February, 2013
Cerwin vega is a joke I reloaded mine with jbl woofers just to make them more efficient ...
DJ DisGrace 11:41 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Th 118 made by who...

LOL

I'll let Gaffle field this one....
DJ GaFFle 11:42 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Th 118 made by who... I know not cerwin vega! I got some earth quakes as well and they aren't in the same league...

www.danleysoundlabs.com

These guys ^^^
... they know a little something about pro audio speakers.
DJ GaFFle 11:47 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Cerwin vega is a joke I reloaded mine with jbl woofers just to make them more efficient ...

THey've got some new stuff that may be pretty competitive for us Mobile DJs: cerwinvega.com

I saw them at GC but didn't get a chance to listen to them. They look a lot better than their older stuff IMO. A little more professional.
the_black_one 12:01 AM - 1 March, 2013
how in the heck can cerwin vega and danleys be in the same discussion is beyond me
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:22 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

I don't think I've ever owned my Cerwin Subs with Cerwin drivers....

I put JBL's in them WAYYYYYY back in the day...

The CABINETS for the Jr. Earthquakes were the prototype for subs tho....
DJ Dac 12:28 AM - 1 March, 2013
i need to get a couple of these guys for my mobile rig, they come with castors, i can move them myself - www.danleysoundlabs.com
the_black_one 12:34 AM - 1 March, 2013
^^^^ LOL
pdidy 12:42 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
i need to get a couple of these guys for my mobile rig, they come with castors, i can move them myself - www.danleysoundlabs.com

yea me too, those will fit nicely in the truck I haul my gear in for my mobile gigs. img.directindustry.com
the_black_one 12:47 AM - 1 March, 2013
I can use a pair for my next party.. It's a small intimate wedding of about 100 people. Do u think I will have enough bass??
pdidy 12:49 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

www.danleysoundlabs.com

These guys ^^^
... they know a little something about pro audio speakers.

*Ding Ding*......Schools in session......lol
pdidy 12:51 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
I can use a pair for my next party.. It's a small intimate wedding of about 100 people. Do u think I will have enough bass??

"It doesn't Matter what you think".....Go big or go home !
the_black_one 12:59 AM - 1 March, 2013
LOL
dj jamalot 1:08 AM - 1 March, 2013
Seriously bro??? I can move my 728 around in my gmc van u need a semi for that... I own my speakers do you really own those or are u just window shopping google LMFAO neeyah puhleeze!
dj jamalot 1:12 AM - 1 March, 2013
Sorry Vegas are garbage these days cheap Chinese crap don't bother... Now if you found some jr earth quakes and some v35's hmmmmm! That was my old speeks and they served me well.
pdidy 1:22 AM - 1 March, 2013
I see sarcasm is not one of his strong points.....
DJ Dac 2:52 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

"It doesn't Matter what you think".....Go big or go home !

well we all have tried to find the brown note, i think those would do it...
DJ Johnny G562 4:26 PM - 17 March, 2013
pdidy good point taking gear upstairs...thats when it helps knowing the venue...90% of what I do is at Large Hotels here in the LA Metro area...service elevators etc...Furniture movers everything is pushed in not carried..
djelia914 4:10 PM - 3 August, 2013
what do guys think about the ev zlx series? I am looking for something to start out with
Rebelguy 5:28 PM - 3 August, 2013
Quote:
what do guys think about the ev zlx series? I am looking for something to start out with

Use the search function and you will find a few very informative threads on the ZLX line.
djelia914 7:29 PM - 3 August, 2013
thank
DJ Johnny G562 1:40 AM - 11 September, 2013
Seriously bro??? I can move my 728 around in my gmc van u need a semi for that... I own my speakers do you really own those or are u just window shopping google LMFAO neeyah puhleeze!

FORD ECOLINE 2 728s 2 725s with crown ITECHS move by my self!
DJ Johnny G562 1:43 AM - 11 September, 2013
and my boy has the same set up....and we added the VRX.....we aint doing weddings step off
pdidy 2:36 AM - 11 September, 2013
DJ Johnny G562, how are you replying too ?
pdidy 2:37 AM - 11 September, 2013
who
Rick G 10:15 PM - 25 November, 2015
When it comes to value and "bang for the buck" i really think Peavey has the right idea.
Thier PV series is very affordable. At a little over $500 you get a pair of powered 15" speakers in a wood cabinet ( better sounding than plastic ) stands and cabling. in addition the speaker has a output to run the amp down to a 4ohm load giving you 2X the output. This works really well if you hook up a their passive sub that has a built in Lo-Pass Crossover. The 18"subs come in at under $300 each and can be added at a later time. So for a total of $1100 you could have stands , tops and subs. they are rated at 400 watts continous @ 4 ohm when utilizing the parrrel hookup ( sub) ( SPL is 121 solo & ~ 127 with sub ) . this will do gigs of up to 300 nicely, and in a pinch could do larger events as well, although i would not recommend as the norm..

Tops package - www.pssl.com
Subs - www.pssl.com
pdidy 10:20 PM - 25 November, 2015
Quote:
When it comes to value and "bang for the buck" i really think Peavey has the right idea.

Lol

I stopped reading after that.
Rick G 10:23 PM - 25 November, 2015
why?
Scully DJ Services 11:32 PM - 25 November, 2015
The PV series is complete garbage. I unfortunately own 2 of the 15s and they sound like complete trash. The highs have 0 clarity and the bass is virtually nonexistent. Also, the 'wood' enclosures aren't even legitimate wood; just particle board. Lastly, they are incredibly inefficient and can't handle barely any power before sounding worse than a bullhorn. They don't even get loud AT ALL. My advice to anyone is to NEVER EVER touch or even look at them. If you want a speaker that is a hundred times better, grab a Yamaha DBR15. It has WAY more bass, gets louder, and sounds astronomically better than these cabs, all while weighing less!
desmorider 1:09 AM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:
Thier PV series is very affordable. At a little over $500 you get a pair of powered 15" speakers in a wood cabinet ( better sounding than plastic ) stands and cabling. in addition the speaker has a output to run the amp down to a 4ohm load giving you 2X the output. This works really well if you hook up a their passive sub that has a built in Lo-Pass Crossover. The 18"subs come in at under $300 each and can be added at a later time. So for a total of $1100 you could have stands , tops and subs. they are rated at 400 watts continous @ 4 ohm when utilizing the parrrel hookup ( sub) ( SPL is 121 solo & ~ 127 with sub ) . this will do gigs of up to 300 nicely, and in a pinch could do larger events as well, although i would not recommend as the norm..

Subs - www.pssl.com

Owned.

Scully delivers fatal blow
pdidy 1:25 AM - 26 November, 2015
Well he did as why :)
desmorider 1:51 AM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:

Subs - www.pssl.com

Up to 300?

Would you happen to work for pssl? Sounds like a sales pitch......
pdidy 2:18 AM - 26 November, 2015
Quote:
Would you happen to work for pssl? Sounds like a sales pitch......

Yea I was thinking the same thing.........seriously who fuckin talks like that.....lol
DJErS 6:31 PM - 22 January, 2016
Yamaha DSR115 tops with Yamaha DSR118 Subs have great sound.
Cannot go wrong
beta one 11:48 PM - 27 February, 2016
A nice used set of Yorkville NX55p's have NEVER let me down for any gig up to 250 people or so, in over 6 years.
DJ Quartz 11:55 PM - 27 February, 2016
My setup consists of 4 x E10P's and 2 x LS720P's.
Dj Wunder 1:24 AM - 28 February, 2016
RCF Evox 12
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:15 AM - 28 February, 2016
Quote:
The PV series is complete garbage. I unfortunately own 2 of the 15s and they sound like complete trash. The highs have 0 clarity and the bass is virtually nonexistent. Also, the 'wood' enclosures aren't even legitimate wood; just particle board. Lastly, they are incredibly inefficient and can't handle barely any power before sounding worse than a bullhorn. They don't even get loud AT ALL. My advice to anyone is to NEVER EVER touch or even look at them. If you want a speaker that is a hundred times better, grab a Yamaha DBR15. It has WAY more bass, gets louder, and sounds astronomically better than these cabs, all while weighing less!

I literally laughed out loud with the bull horn comment.
Scully DJ Services 10:11 PM - 28 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I literally laughed out loud with the bull horn comment.

IMO it would be funnier if it wasn't true. About a year ago I managed to get my hands on a K10 for a few days thanks to my school, and I tested it against the 2 Peaveys. The dang K10 had at least double the amount of bass and at least triple the volume of the PVs without even limiting. No joke.
dj_soo 10:27 PM - 28 February, 2016
Quote:

I've got 2 DXR10s and 2 DXR8s and 2 NX720Ss

Those subs are pretty good for the size. I've set up 4 of them under K12s or DXR10s and it's a surprisingly powerful system for such a small footprint.
DJ Quartz 3:10 AM - 29 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I've got 2 DXR10s and 2 DXR8s and 2 NX720Ss

Those subs are pretty good for the size. I've set up 4 of them under K12s or DXR10s and it's a surprisingly powerful system for such a small footprint.

The Elite series speakers are deceivingly powerful. I always shock people.

Very easy to transport as well. I'm very happy with this configuration.

The E10P's are very versatile tops as well.
dj_soo 6:37 AM - 29 February, 2016
I'm not a huge fan of them - they definitely get loud, but I don't find them the most pleasing to the ear. Prefer the sound of the Yamahas.
TommyAtkinz 11:15 AM - 8 August, 2016
I still have no idea what speakers i should get...
Dj Wunder 3:45 AM - 9 August, 2016
Get the Yamahas
Rebelguy 1:44 PM - 9 August, 2016
You could look into these...

www.jblpro.com
dj_soo 2:03 AM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:

work out a budget, go to a shop and do some a/b comparisons of the speakers.

You really can't go wrong with QSC, Yamaha, JBL, EV, or RCF so long as you get some of their higher end gear.

Less reputable companies like Mackie, Alto, Turbosound, behringer, etc. is a bit of a crapshoot.
577er 5:03 AM - 12 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

work out a budget, go to a shop and do some a/b comparisons of the speakers.

You really can't go wrong with QSC, Yamaha, JBL, EV, or RCF so long as you get some of their higher end gear.

Less reputable companies like Mackie, Alto, Turbosound, behringer, etc. is a bit of a crapshoot.

Turbosound is not to be confused with less reputable! Less well know to Ameicans under the age of 30 maybe but they make quality gear. Mackie also makes ok stuff, not as good as they used to but it works.

Buy the best used gear you can. Make some money with it and then upgrade when you can that's the way to start.
dj_soo 8:35 PM - 14 August, 2016
Turbo sound is now owned and operated by behringer.

Yes, they used to be the shit and they led to the funktion one brand, but now... Behringer.
Rebelguy 6:18 AM - 15 August, 2016
Quote:
Turbo sound is now owned and operated by behringer.

Yes, they used to be the shit and they led to the funktion one brand, but now... Behringer.

They are owned by the Music Group who also owns Midas, Lab Gruppen, Klark Teknik, And Lake which are some of the biggest names in the professional sound reinforcement world.
petriejohn 5:19 PM - 1 September, 2016
I am new to the DJ equipment i am planning on doing weddings school dance, indoor and outdoor dances ect.. i am looking at using 2 mackie srm750 with 2 srm2850 they are all active speakers. my biggest question would be if i am set up outside is this enough speaker to get a great party going. quality as well as that chest bumping sound everyone loves out of dances,and such?? thanks
pdidy 5:31 PM - 1 September, 2016
chest bumping sound ? outside ? Only the people standing within 5 feet of the sub will feel the bass.
DJ Guayo 6:40 PM - 1 September, 2016
Quote:
chest bumping sound ? outside ? Only the people standing within 5 feet of the sub will feel the bass.

Truth!!!

I was at a concert outside of Houston (BoomBash) over the summer. It's an open air amphitheater and the cranked up that bass. I was like wtf are they running. I was finally able to peep the massive EV line array. There are no boundaries (other than the ground , if you don't fly your subs) to help you out.

www.woodlandscenter.org

www.woodlandscenter.org
DJ Reflex 12:19 AM - 2 September, 2016
Chest thumping bass... not more than 20 feet out, but I run 3 QSC HPR 181 subs for outdoor car shows periodically (mostly EDM music and hip-hop) and they at least have a full, rich sound over the whole grounds. They do a decent job for their size.
Bigger show required eight P-Audio 18" folded horn subs and 6 dual 15" tops. Much more serious bass.
DJ-MarkyMark-1988 11:30 AM - 2 November, 2016
I'm also fairly new to the whole purchasing of equipment as a lot of my previous equipment I've bought off friends. I've been looking into 2 different sets of speakers (2 tops and 2 subs)

my budget is £1000

I've looked at the Wharfdale Pro EVP-X12 & EVP-X15B

and

Alto Truesonic TS210A & TS212S
Smoothk 3:09 AM - 26 February, 2018
Can you dj with a craigs tower speaker?
fvckJuly 1:42 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
Can you dj with a craigs tower speaker?

you can barely even listen to AM radio on these things