Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Serato DJ & The bridge?

Jimmy Lawson 8:04 AM - 8 October, 2012
Just wondered if there are plans to incorporate Serato DJ and the bridge?
I'm currently a scratch Live and Ableton user but love the look and sound of the Pioneer Ddj-SX.
In an ideal world (in my humble and uneducated opinion) it would be great to have my APC40 alongside a DDJ-SX as everything I need would appear to be at my finger tips.
What news from the Serato camp?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 11:30 PM - 8 October, 2012
Hi Jimmy Lawson,

The Bridge isn't currently going to be available in Serato DJ. We are definitely aware of the requests there were for The Bridge in ITCH however, but I couldn't say if or when this will happen.

Mathew
Jimmy Lawson 10:03 AM - 17 October, 2012
Thanks for that Mathew. Do you know if the ddj-sx will work as effectively with scratch live as it will Serato DJ? If id did then clearly I wouldn't need to go down the Serato DJ route.
Brian J 4:04 AM - 18 October, 2012
Hi Jimmy,

don't hold your breath.. The bridge for Serato isn't going to happen anytime soon. Serato DJ is a 32bit app and will stay like that way for while.. On the other hand Live is a 64 bit app.. Unlike Serato, Ableton posted an official statement on their website that the bridge for SSL won't work for 8.3 onward.

Don't make the mistake i've made(and many other as well) to buy gear based on a promised feature that, sadly, never panned out..
Culprit 6:14 AM - 18 October, 2012
damn so were restricted to 32bit?
Brian J 1:33 PM - 18 October, 2012
I'm affraid so. A guy from Serato(Sam) stated that Serato DJ will be a 32bit application because they wanted to "get it out fast".. They weren't ready to commit to 64bit because they would have to rewrite the whole app from the ground up.. In other words, it would have take "too long".

Funny because the whole industry is headed toward 64bit.. But ehy, we can't have it all.. can we? Let's face it, the bridge IS dead.. What serato can do about it? Rework their sampler to make a clip launcher-style remix decks a la traktor..
Brian J 1:43 PM - 18 October, 2012
ETA winter 2014 lol :-D
Jimmy Lawson 11:12 AM - 19 October, 2012
Spent out on an APC 40 specifically to make the Bridge more manageable when working with Serato. This is a BIG disapointment. Having recently sold my decks (easiest bit of kit to replace) it's left me with my original SL1 and an APC40 to work with. The APC's a waste of time for Serato and the thought of being able to combine it with the new Pioneer DDJ-SX had somewhat excited to the point I was almost prepared to sell my soul to get one. Now knowing that I can't use the two bits of kit effectively in combination I will have to go away and give some real consideration as to the direction I will take from here.
So much for continued development and evolution!
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:11 PM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
Thanks for that Mathew. Do you know if the ddj-sx will work as effectively with scratch live as it will Serato DJ? If id did then clearly I wouldn't need to go down the Serato DJ route.

No it will only work with Serato DJ which apart from the bridge has more features than ssl anyway (Unless you want to you dvs timecode ect)
Brian J 3:46 AM - 20 October, 2012
Quote:
Spent out on an APC 40 specifically to make the Bridge more manageable when working with Serato. This is a BIG disapointment.

I feel you man.. I did exactly the same mistake! Based on Serato's promise that the bridge WILL be avaible to itch I bought the apc 40. Now, I happen to enjoy ableton live as it is.. But still.. I don't appreciate serato liying to my face! I understand, sh#t happens all the time! Live is 64 bit and serato DJ it isn't.. No big deal, but please Serato, don't give me the "not available at the moment" crap! Just be honest and more straight forward to your customers. Ableton clearly stated on their website that the bridge for SSL won't work with v8.3 because of the
64-32bit incompatibility. That means no bridge until serato update DJ to 64 bit. Maybe in a couple of years;-)
PoSiTiVeFloW 6:45 AM - 2 November, 2012
I have an APC40 and NuMark NS6.... Makes me so mad, I bought VDJ as a potential workaround, so I can Rewire slave Live to my DJ decks (not ideal, I'd like APC40 to be central, but ok).

Then I find out you can't use APC40 when Live is in Rewire Slave mode. Thought VDJ with Rewire would have given me a RANE FREE way of doing things? Anyone succeed in a workaround to get APC40 control when Live is Rewire Slave?

Also another workaround to get the "DJ into live" would be Deckadance 2.0 release (Image Line looking at you here) VST level DJ software, all they have to do is add NS6 support and update their controllers (or someone post a MIDI map). DJ Software & Live in lockstep.

Wonder what InMusic will do with Torq 2.03 from M-Audio now that Avid F'ed them up and sold them off? I'm hoping someone at Numark that supports NS6 will take up that torch as I could Rewire Torq 2 in Ableton all day long and APC40 was CENTER.
PoSiTiVeFloW 6:50 AM - 2 November, 2012
Serato, just step up and go 64-bit, add the Bridge to ITCH / DJ. Own up.

Be a leader before Native Instruments (I'm on there boards as well) adds Rewire and maybe even Traktor will be able to tempo synch Live + DJ Software. So far they have resisted Rewire integration sadly.
Brian J 3:53 PM - 2 November, 2012
You don't get it.. do you?! The bridge for serato DJ ain't coming! Recently Ableton announced that V9 is 32/64 bit app but serato showed NO interest whatsoever.. On fact they removed the infamous "not available at the moment" comment about the bridge in their FAQ.. Go figure..
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:49 PM - 2 November, 2012
When VDJ8 comes out you will be able to use your apc for live with out VDJ taking it over.
Brian J 5:54 PM - 2 November, 2012
In fact they removed the infamous "not available at the moment" comment about the bridge in their FAQ.. Go figure..

lol..My bad.. Apparently it's still there:-P Still.. It doesn't make ANY sense that such a MAJOR(at least in book) game changer feature get faded out like this..

SERATO TALK TO US ALREADY FOR G'DSAKE!!!!!!!!
PoSiTiVeFloW 12:37 AM - 3 November, 2012
@ SoundInsurgent - I am a VDJ Pro user as well, how long until the jump to v8? Do you have inside track over there? Really with NS6 + APC40 and VDJ with Live, is all one really needs...
Mallo 4:30 PM - 8 November, 2012
Hi Guys am ignorant to all what's going on here, am reading your discussion and am happy but sad to know what's going on in the Pro DJ/VJ world. First I'll like to say the hardware and Software from these two giant company's are what we've been wait for, this will take us for the next few years down the road. What's gonna be the story with Rane? why are they making such an expensive mixer comparable with Serato?? what's really gonna happen here?. I luv this Pioneer DDJ-SXcontroller, and I can still connect my Turntables that's cool.
The Bridge!!! I bought the ACP 40 and am connected, this is were am sad what should I do?. Am thinking Serato would rewrite the program for the bridge users; it's like a car company they introduce a new car, but the next year they got more features "on the same frame". I could be wrong but it's face it ; you can't give all in one shot, It's call continually improvement keep faith alive. I guess now I'll have to sell my Rane TTM57sl and CDJ's ): now.
Jimmy Lawson 10:32 AM - 26 December, 2012
I'm guessing what may happen is that in time to come this will be sorted, although I wouldn't be suprised if the bridge ends up as an add on that has to be paid for.
If I do decide to go for a ddjsx then I've already made my mind up that I'll be dropping ableton as I'll have more than enough tricks at my fingertips to play with.
Either way, my mixing and djing were always more successful back in the days of the leveled playing field of just 1210's and a mixer.
Anyone can dj these days with all this kit and the success of the online record shop makes tunes so easy to find by even the greenest djs that the need to travel across the country and keep your record shops sweet for the best tunes is no longer part of the djing scene.....(**record shops were those aladins caves for djs where you used to have to go to buy real record and use real knowledge to find good tunes rather than stack 200 tunes in a playlist and spend as long as you like to decide from the comfort of a computer. Sadly these are on the verge of extinction and as such should be considered a protected species....)
Phillipe Crouton 6:34 PM - 13 January, 2013
Hi all,
Let's all make a request at the proper threat.
Press link. serato.com
Tapperwar 2:52 PM - 2 March, 2013
+1
Cleancut 4:06 PM - 13 March, 2013
+1
danidangerz 9:10 AM - 24 May, 2013
I own a ddjsx and cdj's ... I use the cdj's and mixer with my serato sl3 and apc40:) works great:) now the fact that ou can't directly record into serato dj sux:( and no ABLETON bridge either??? Sux big time:( serato dj is awesome with the ddjsx loops rolls fx all sorts of creative mixing on the fly style stuff is possible:) now if I can't run ABLETON??? What about having serato dj sending midi clock out??? Then I could at least run some outboard gear with it:) like a drum machine or synth or whatever... Serato,,,, at least give me that!!!! You do that and there will be real dj/producers creating and performing real quality stuff:)
micksyt 10:32 PM - 12 June, 2013
+1.....hey if we all came up with 1000 fake emails each and plus +1 them all.....maybe then???
Hawkes 10:08 AM - 22 June, 2013
+1
HelloKatze 5:33 AM - 22 August, 2013
Deckadance + Ableton.
Mika75 10:13 PM - 30 August, 2013
Hi Guys, please develop Ableton bridge for Serato DJ / Ableton 9 64 :)
jindo 8:12 PM - 13 September, 2013
the bridge for serato dj would be so fukin awesome. I just purchased an ableton push, and also have a ddjsx. If i could find a way to sync them (aka ableton bridge for ddjsx) it would give me the most ridiculous opportunities during live performances to not only create transitions, fills, synths chords and all that good stuff on the fly, but work it with the cool versatility of the ddjsx. please make it! if not hire me(electrical engineer/ programming dual major) and i would love to work on it
polarpanda 8:00 PM - 14 November, 2013
Danidangerz is on point with his comment.

If you could just send the midi clock out (of Serato DJ) then you could still accomplish a Serato DJ + Ableton (with APC 40/PUSH/MPD/whatever) set. This would be HUGE. Please make this a thing Serato. PLEASE!
polarpanda 11:39 PM - 3 December, 2013
Is this thread dead?
Jimmy Lawson 9:07 AM - 4 December, 2013
Forums for products like Serato are great, but when there's bo input fron the Serato techies then it may as well be dead.
Has the Serato kit become too great for the company tobe as proactive in development as they used to?
ClippaJ 1:48 PM - 10 December, 2013
+111
Chulkilion 8:14 AM - 27 January, 2014
Serato you gotta listen to the users, I've been over the many threads about this and its a shame you guys aren't doing actively something about it. I have bought several of your products and this is a massive disappointment.
Dj-Fly 1:36 PM - 9 February, 2014
I feel sad to lost the bridge with serato dj, i don't understand why serato doesn't work in this way, the bridge is the most powerful configuration for live sets. I really hope a solution for this because today i don't change the serato live for serato dj only because i can't use the bridge :(((
Culprit 7:11 AM - 10 February, 2014
nothing will change until serato dj goes 64 bit. I believe once that happens we will see some more doors opening. For now, just use scratch live with your current hardware and once serato dj catches up, invest and upgrade.
ivan martinez 7:19 AM - 8 March, 2014
PLEASE BRING THE BRIDGE TO SERATO DJ OR AT LEAST A MIDI OUT TO SEND IT TO ABLETON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!! MAN NO BUENO!
DJ Jason A 7:56 AM - 8 March, 2014
Yer i totaly agree im just about to sell my ttm57sl andcdjs to get the ddjsz but ive been running the bridge with scratch live and to now spend £1750 on a new controller that wont now work with ableton and the bridge thats shocking
Brianred8 10:31 PM - 20 March, 2014
I can understand not supporting the bridge with DJ..... IF they weren't discontinuing SSL...... I hate to say this, but without the bridge, I would switch to traktor for all of the features that it has and allows!!!!! SSL and Ableton is about as good as it can get... but without ableton, traktor has MUCH more than just DJ!!!!! I hate to say it, but it's true
Culprit 12:10 AM - 21 March, 2014
There are alot of people in the same boat. If serato decides to go 64bit then suppport for abelton will possibly continue. We have to wait until then.
otrebor 6:51 AM - 3 April, 2014
I'll pay for Serato dj when it works with the bridge. Till then I'm sticking with Scratch Live
PMYSKO 6:01 PM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
I'll pay for Serato dj when it works with the bridge. Till then I'm sticking with Scratch Live

+1
JayLux 7:12 AM - 20 May, 2014
This present limitation of the new Serato DJ over the old Scratch Live is really disappointing.
I am going to downgrade to old Scratch Live to get this work again.
DJ RoachC 3:44 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
I'm affraid so. A guy from Serato(Sam) stated that Serato DJ will be a 32bit application because they wanted to "get it out fast".. They weren't ready to commit to 64bit because they would have to rewrite the whole app from the ground up.. In other words, it would have take "too long".

Funny because the whole industry is headed toward 64bit.. But ehy, we can't have it all.. can we? Let's face it, the bridge IS dead.. What serato can do about it? Rework their sampler to make a clip launcher-style remix decks a la traktor..

It would be great if the sampler could work like the remix decks like Traktor, especially if we could link the sampler to Ableton Live or use a APC-40 as a sampler to launch APC-40 clips. Even better if the clips could show video!!
DJ DURELLI 3:51 PM - 20 May, 2014
+ 1

Would like to see The Bridge working on Serato DJ as I have bought a DDJ-SX and Novation Launchpad and can't use the features like I could with Serato Live
DJ Stereoscopic 6:47 AM - 23 June, 2014
Reading this thread is saddening, knowing that we cant have great programs working hand in hand with each other. I as well am a DDJ-SX user as well as Ableton. I use ableton with a launchpad/launchcontrol for samples, drums, and effects but what I really need from it is to sync to serato -_-

Guess im just going to have to have absolutely no latency and be able to beatmatch my tracks on serato to the beat on ableton.

Luckily I have ableton audio outputted to ch.3 on my SX so that I can easily control the primary audio settings and cue it with headphones =)

Still a fun setup, just wish there was some way to have the synchronization between the programs.

Maybe theres a program that can be the "bridge" serato into ableton out there, reads the bpm from serato and gets read by ableton via plugin or something.
If anyone has any ideas or possible work arounds id love to hear them =)
DJ RoachC 9:31 AM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
Hi Jimmy,

don't hold your breath.. The bridge for Serato isn't going to happen anytime soon. Serato DJ is a 32bit app and will stay like that way for while.. On the other hand Live is a 64 bit app.. Unlike Serato, Ableton posted an official statement on their website that the bridge for SSL won't work for 8.3 onward.

Don't make the mistake i've made(and many other as well) to buy gear based on a promised feature that, sadly, never panned out..

Hmm, Ableton is both 32 bit and 64 bit. I have been using the 32 bit version since 2009 because there wasn't as many 64 bit VSTs in 2009 as there are today. Why don't Serato take the lock off of it so that we could output Serato to other DAWS. Curreently, Serato is enjoying restricting creativity.
djallstyle 3:45 AM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Jimmy,

Hmm, Ableton is both 32 bit and 64 bit. I have been using the 32 bit version since 2009 because there wasn't as many 64 bit VSTs in 2009 as there are today. Why don't Serato take the lock off of it so that we could output Serato to other DAWS. Curreently, Serato is enjoying restricting creativity.

Now This Is The Real BottomLine!!!! Serato Is BS'n!!!
Siana Gearz 10:26 PM - 2 July, 2014
The whole 32-bit vs. 64-bit thing is a mere excuse.

I am a professional software developer. At this time, i would not advise Serato to transition to 64-bit - this is simply unnecessary. It's not usually a huge change code-wise, but it is a QA nightmare, the likelihood to introduce severe but potentially rarely experienced and hard to reproduce issues is quite high. For a DJ software, 64-bit transition, if gone unlucky, could be a reputation killer.

It's possible to bridge 32-bit and 64-bit software through inter-process communication techniques, and since the times of singlecore processors and RAM scarcity are long gone, they work really well too. jBridge is a practical example of this technique applied (bridges 32-bit and 64-bit VST and hosts), and another one is Google Chrome, which was the first to go big on inter-process communication instead of embedding. It's a less resource-friendly but more stability-friendly technique, and a lot of work has been done recently by various parties to make it solid and practical.

It is however a significant development effort, they'll need to start from scratch on DAW integration for Serato DJ, if they want to bring it back to the Bridge feature level.

As to what you could do now, you could use JACK to bridge the audio between multiple applications, and if Serato had MIDI clock output, you could use Virtual MIDI Cable to route it to Live. People do this with Traktor. People embed Deckadence. Serato is falling behind even on highly desirable and easy to implement interoperability features. Appeal of software look-and-feel can only go so far, and maintaining semi-monopolistic lock on the market through hardware partnerships poses a risk for both Serato and its hardware partners, unless the software remains highly desirable.
Serato Money Pit 10:04 AM - 4 September, 2014
I'll just say it, I am disgusted that I ever got into the Serato camp! I've been a DJ for over a decade and when I finally decided to pick from the "big 2" (serato live/traktor) they were VERY similiar (so I thought). Traktor soon took an enormous leap, everything from display, effects, controllability, etc... while serato appeared to remain stagnant. Enter the Bridge! For all of Serato's faults/bonehead design/atrocious display; finally there was a tool to help solve the age old problem - creativity being hampered by limitations of equipment.

I was faced with 2 problems. 1st I didnt own ableton. 2nd I had no idea how to use it.
I've composed and produced tracks for some time but never used ableton. Since this was going to be my software that was going to integrate with serato, producing with it as well only made sense, so the lite version wasnt going to cut it and I purchased the studio version of ableton.

Since there is no multi function midi mapping in serato (that I'm aware of), it takes countless steps on a midi controller to do what should only take a couple of buttons. Most gig sized midi's arent practical to run serato in a fast paced setting (i.e. akai mpd 32). And I do not believe in messing with the computer while DJing. Also, needed a midi controller to run the bridge effectively.

My 12yr old battle mixer finally crapped out, and since I already went "all in" on serato (purchasing ableton and a handful of midi controllers) I spent the money on a VERY overpriced rane 62 mixer because of the built in soundcard and to combat the the rediculous midi mapping of serato.

And with the talk of serato dj, it looked like serato (aka "team slacker") was FINALLY going to give traktor a run for their money. WRONG!!! The one thing that serato could be applauded for doesnt integrate! Sure they are trying to close the enormous gap that traktor created years ago by FINALLY having a display that isnt laughable and a couple of decent effects yada yada... but I truly feel that if there werent so many ppl that spent large sums of money building there setup around serato (price of soundcards, overpriced rane equipment, and, most notably, ableton software and controllers) they would've left serato a long time ago.

I just assumed that there was a financial despute with ableton, causing the delay in the bridge development; but after reading some of the other opinions, who knows what the clowns at serato are doing.

All I know is I've spent a ridiculous amount of money building my setup around serato and the bridge (rane sound card, akai apc 40, ableton software, ableton push, akai lpd8, rane 62 mixer). All for what seems my best outlook is a couple more years of support being offered by serato on outdated software! So quit screwing around and give us the damn bridge already!!!
PMYSKO 2:21 PM - 4 September, 2014
+ 100000
Rasta Four-Eyes 10:58 PM - 6 October, 2014
+ 1
Chulkilion 1:54 AM - 7 October, 2014
@Serato Money Pit I feel your pain, same for me
DJ Shade Chylde 1:14 AM - 15 November, 2014
The bottom line is oh-so-simple.
I'll be mapping/utilizing maps for Ableton Live then. Serato can't get their shit together? Well I can without their help.
DJ Shade Chylde 1:19 AM - 15 November, 2014
They are purposefully dragging ass on their hardware-based partnerships with companies like pioneer, because if they do something else they may find their software irrelevant, and therefore they're biding the time on their agreement with said companies, because "Hey, we did what we AGREED to do..."
God forbid they stick a few guys in a room and in a matter of a week or two they put themselves up to par against anyone outshining them in the x64 markets...
DJ Shade Chylde 1:20 AM - 15 November, 2014
Remember, anything x64 can ALSO be used at x32 if you know your shizz...
DJ Shade Chylde 1:24 AM - 15 November, 2014
Audio from Ableton Live thru the DDJ-SX is not only possible, but works VERY well.
Yes you can control Live with the DDJ-SX... It is a midi controller...
Use an APC/MPC to control Ableton Live, and DDJ-SX to controls SeratoDJ. Audio from Live Will play over the master out of the DDJ-SX..
In Ableton live's preferences set things up according to common sense...
xy!o 7:55 AM - 17 November, 2014
i hope that serato will allow the bridge into "Dj" and or "dvs". That way I could keep my ableton set the way it is and invest in that Akai AMX. Super simple sweet set up that's cost effective and reliable, all while fully integrating ableton.
dj_foo 4:16 PM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
Audio from Ableton Live thru the DDJ-SX is not only possible, but works VERY well.
Use an APC/MPC to control Ableton Live, and DDJ-SX to controls SeratoDJ. Audio from Live Will play over the master out of the DDJ-SX..

I'm interested to hear how you have this set up? I have recently started using Ableton to do my own edits of songs, and it would be interesting to know whether you can sync the two applications?

Having a bunch of my own samples saved into Ableton, to launch as and when I want while I am mixing through Serato DJ sounds very interesting. Especially if it can be synced. It doesn't need to be quantized, as my ears still work! But having the bpm automatically lock together would be helpful. Especially as one or the other would have to run in the background on my Mac.

If you could elaborate?
DJ RoachC 2:36 PM - 10 January, 2015
Quote:

I considered that but how could you sync the Ableton Live to Serato?
shabbashizzle 6:05 PM - 14 February, 2015
Oh man... what a disappointment! The mix-tape function was probably the best thing Serato had going on over Traktor... I would have thought the bridge and it's various functions would only work better with Serato DJ. I was so excited about the Rane 57 Mk2, but If I can't use it with SL and the Bridge, that kinda (REALLY, REALLY) sucks. Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep using my 57 Mk1 and SL 2.5 for now. On the bright side I just saved about $2000! lol...
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:19 PM - 14 February, 2015
I'm sure Serato have said The MixTape feature will be in SDJ at somepoint. But not The Bridge as it is in SSL.

MixTape feature was the most used feature of The Bridge.
Culprit 11:45 PM - 15 February, 2015
its def in the works so hang tight
PMYSKO 12:34 PM - 26 February, 2015
It's on no babay www.ableton.com
shabbashizzle 3:36 AM - 20 January, 2016
BLAAAAAM!
wukawuka 8:12 PM - 21 July, 2016
Still no go? I want to get Live 9 today and dont want to be limited to scratch live only
Papa Midnight 8:35 PM - 14 September, 2016