DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

TV show - Bar Rescue

popnwave 5:41 PM - 13 August, 2012
Anyone been watching this? I've only VJ'd in clubs/bars so even though the issues are usually tied to crappy management, it's still an interesting show. I also like the fact they have done bro bars to more urban ones and show how places CAN pull legit clientele if you do it right.
Doug Skillmore 5:57 PM - 13 August, 2012
i saw an episode last night. they actually showed the dj in it. he was using serato i think his name was dj scoobz. maybe he is on this forum
popnwave 6:12 PM - 13 August, 2012
Yeah that club in West Palm Beach reminds me a lot of one here in Tampa called Empire that a guy was shot and killed in. It's now called Dream and waiting to reopen, I really wonder if they are going to ditch the dumb thugs and go "upscale" or not.

One thing I've learned as I got older and this show reminds me is the difference between GOOD drinks and just getting people destroyed with cheap booze. You can draw folks for a while with the cheap drinks but at some point the crowd is so sloppy the people you WANT to keep, who tip well and still spend decent money, move on.
Daktyl 7:32 PM - 13 August, 2012
sounds kind of interesting... might check it out...
www.spike.com
Mr. Goodkat 7:38 PM - 13 August, 2012
i love that show. ever time i see it, i think about all the problems ive seen in bar/club game.

watch murphy's mess, one of the more highly entertaining ones ive seen.
Daktyl 7:48 PM - 13 August, 2012
Quote:
watch murphy's mess, one of the more highly entertaining ones ive seen.

watching that one right now.... it's pretty damn funny already
popnwave 8:01 PM - 13 August, 2012
THE INCEPTION SHOT
Dj Shamann 9:06 PM - 13 August, 2012
Just watched it now, good stuff.
Daktyl 9:16 PM - 13 August, 2012
that inception shot i CRAZY! surefire way to get an unruly crowd lol... i'm not big on reality shows, but this one is pretty damn entertaining.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:58 PM - 13 August, 2012
Checked out Murphy's mess after I saw this post earlier... Kinda interesting. Wonder if they will ever do or have done a hood bar?

Gonna catch the other two viewable episodes later tonight
djsmuve415 12:40 AM - 14 August, 2012
Watched all of last seasons episodes & these lastest ones they had on.. been cool to learn certain facts I didn't know - but the format and all the fluff is getting tiresome. I get it - he's gonna yell at someone. alright already.. but i understand - they need to make a show out of it for all the morons out there who are watching it not interested in the actual details. like last nights episode in Palm Beach for instance - who leaves the lights on in a nightclub?!?!?
do like when they show him looking at Yelp reviews though, seems to be the most genuine part.
popnwave 12:53 AM - 14 August, 2012
Quote:
Watched all of last seasons episodes & these lastest ones they had on.. been cool to learn certain facts I didn't know - but the format and all the fluff is getting tiresome. I get it - he's gonna yell at someone. alright already.. but i understand - they need to make a show out of it for all the morons out there who are watching it not interested in the actual details. like last nights episode in Palm Beach for instance - who leaves the lights on in a nightclub?!?!?
do like when they show him looking at Yelp reviews though, seems to be the most genuine part.

I LOL'd at that as well... and yeah, it's a lot like Kitchen Nightmares where you can get bored with the format quick.
djsmuve415 12:38 AM - 15 August, 2012
Oh - & I forgot to mention Spike TV's 10 minute commercial breaks they always have... it's like 20 minutes of the show, & 40 minutes of commercials. such bullshit.
popnwave 12:55 AM - 15 August, 2012
I just download the damn things because of that.
HYDRO MATIC 4:29 PM - 16 August, 2012
Quote:
I just download the damn things because of that.

Yep I do seasons at a time normally
Aden 8:56 PM - 22 August, 2012
My Wednesday night residency is at a bar being featured on this show. The Power Plant (formerly The Rocks). I started here after the filming but they did a great job with the makeover. Green Lantern was the celebrity Dj along with their main resident, Tony. I think it's scheduled to air on 9/23.
DJ Tracktion 10:29 PM - 22 August, 2012
awesome show. watch it on the reg.
O.B.1 7:35 PM - 24 August, 2012
just heard that the reality shows "Storage Wars" and "American Pickers" turned out to be fake - as in paid actors, and planted merchandise... LOL
popnwave 8:01 PM - 24 August, 2012
A lot of those shows are, too hard to find good situations.. hell that's what most of Cheaters was too back in the 90s/00s
DJ Remy USA 9:26 PM - 24 August, 2012
yep one of my fav shows to watch
djsmuve415 10:31 PM - 24 August, 2012
Quote:
just heard that the reality shows "Storage Wars" and "American Pickers" turned out to be fake - as in paid actors, and planted merchandise... LOL

yeah tv is totally gone to shits... 2/3rds of the these damn shows are all fake & staged... like Pawn Stars - UGGGGHH!!! their phony staged little interlude bets. all choreographed & crap. but public still watches this shit.. bunch of sheep.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:36 AM - 28 August, 2012
I love Bar Rescue. Just found out about it a about a month and a half ago and I'm addicted. I find it pretty educational since I plan on one day opening my own venue
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:29 AM - 28 August, 2012
I keep forgetting to check back to catch the weekly back programs before they go away.....

Watching Bottomless Pit - Episode 205 now. Pretty good.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:34 PM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:

Seriously? I haven't watched the shows but hot dang if people down at the swap meet don't love those people.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:32 AM - 29 September, 2012
Quote:
My Wednesday night residency is at a bar being featured on this show. The Power Plant (formerly The Rocks). I started here after the filming but they did a great job with the makeover. Green Lantern was the celebrity Dj along with their main resident, Tony. I think it's scheduled to air on 9/23.

Just catching up on some episodes: www.spike.com

So, did DJ Green Lantern ever show how to properly "mix" a 80BPM track into a 120??

Also curious, where did the O Thirty Biker guys move to? Seems like they could have launched a "Rock night" on a Monday or Tuesday down the road at Power Plant and not piss them (and the 2 bartenders) off completely. Just make them "tone it down" a notch or three.
popnwave 5:42 PM - 29 September, 2012
Someone mentioned this in another thread.. I think that concept was highly stylized. They couldn't even use the music they were playing in the bar on the show so god knows how it actually turned out. I don't think the DJ was as much of as a noob as people think, the guy had a decent setup with 1200s and dicers..
alh61266 8:25 PM - 17 July, 2013
latest bar rescue had a dj named blue steele, i think i saw a behrinnger mixer and cdj900s, he was drunk as hell.
alh61266 8:27 PM - 17 July, 2013
here is that episode www.spike.com
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:13 PM - 17 July, 2013
I just saw that episode.
They change the concept of the bar to Dual (Duel). The whole thing is that they have 2 DJ's on each night as "Dueling" DJs.

I kind of got into the show after the last few episodes I saw. They have mini marathons of it every now and then and I got hooked. John Taffer really knows his stuff!
BIGG BEAR 12:59 AM - 18 July, 2013
ffs I'm in the uk and can't watch this due to restrictions,has anyone posted this to youtube?
These territorial restrictions are very frustrating!
dj jamalot 4:52 AM - 18 July, 2013
Yeah great show...
DJ Reflex 2:09 AM - 19 July, 2013
Maybe they should do a "DJ Rescue". We all know some one that could use it! lol
DJ DisGrace 2:19 AM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
ffs I'm in the uk and can't watch this due to restrictions,has anyone posted this to youtube?

this and Firefox addons.mozilla.org
jwagner 12:54 AM - 21 July, 2013
Quote:
Maybe they should do a "DJ Rescue". We all know some one that could use it! lol
jwagner 12:55 AM - 21 July, 2013
^ forgot i wasnt on twitter. Just retweeted on the serato forum
Manny C dot com 4:59 AM - 21 July, 2013
Quote:

There are several episodes available to watch here:
www.movie4k.to

Like any other "reality" show, after a few episodes, you can pretty much call what's going to happen next before it does. The plot line just repeats itself over and over with each episode:

1. Undercover surveillance reveals that the bar operation is a bloody train wreck.

2. Expert comes in, points out all the flaws including but not limited to:
a. Disgusting health code violations and/or inefficiencies in the kitchen.
b. Over-pouring, wasting money at the bar.
c. Shit falling apart, safety hazards, etc.
d. You idiots are doing everything wrong.

3. After telling the entire staff that they suck at life, expert puts them all through the wringer on a "test run" and the night is a complete disaster/epic fail.

4. Expert butts heads with everyone including manager and/or owner who is just about to say "fuck it" and kick the expert out. But they "hang in there" and...

5. Bar closes for a short period, Expert remodels and redesigns everything from the top down, renames the place, has grand re-opening and they all live happily ever after.

Nonetheless, there are some decent tips and tricks to be learned from watching the show, but the "reality" bit is an insult to everyone's intelligence.
DJ Matty Stiles 7:39 AM - 21 July, 2013
Bloody territorial restrictions. I can't even watch master of the mix
Dj R. Driver 3:26 AM - 22 July, 2013
Quote:
latest bar rescue had a dj named blue steele, i think i saw a behrinnger mixer and cdj900s, he was drunk as hell.

that was funny and he totally sucked ass
Joshua Carl 8:20 PM - 22 July, 2013
completely scripted.

they did one of our investors other ventures, where he got kicked out and bla bla bla.
told me the entire story.

and the DJ Blue STeel...
thats actually a friend of mine's old residency in NC, they brought me down to play there.
the kid is cool, hobbyist DJ.... but certainly "playing a role" For the show.
wasnt that out of control.
DJMark 9:16 PM - 22 July, 2013
I watched the episode...definitely seemed scripted, and a few details made little to no sense.

2500 square feet I think they said, and they're going to waste some of that space with a second DJ booth?

The "butt funnel" thing looks like it would be a major ongoing annoyance for customers, and probably wouldn't meet fire/safety codes in a lot of places.

Cerwin Vega speakers mounted sideways to ceilings, screwing up the tweeter horn's dispersion patters (will be very narrow horizontally the way they did it).

Mounting speakers on springs is nothing exotic, installers have been doing that sort of thing for many years for noise mitigation.

The new sign looked like a cheap relic from a 70's strip mall.

Maybe dueling DJ's would be a cute theme night (not sure how they're executing the concept), but ongoing it seems like a gimmick that would both wear out quickly and add considerable expenses to the operation of a rather small venue.
Dj R. Driver 10:41 PM - 22 July, 2013
Quote:
completely scripted.

they did one of our investors other ventures, where he got kicked out and bla bla bla.
told me the entire story.

and the DJ Blue STeel...
thats actually a friend of mine's old residency in NC, they brought me down to play there.
the kid is cool, hobbyist DJ.... but certainly "playing a role" For the show.
wasnt that out of control.

so he wasnt the manager/ dj. he seemed pretty drunk to me.
djsmuve415 11:24 PM - 22 July, 2013
Quote:
completely scripted.

ya think?

show is utterly unwatchable.
Mr. Goodkat 2:18 AM - 23 July, 2013
all reality shows are scripted to an extent. i still think there is some info on the bar business that is helpful to think about.

taffert is a long time bar guy, a friends pops worked with him over the years as a high profile exec at a major chain restaurant company.
DJ Dac 3:52 AM - 23 July, 2013
one of my co workers is a regular at one of the bars that was on the show out here in AZ, they said some of it was fake. The one biggest things fake things was a "Horrible" bartender that ended up quitting/ getting fired because she sucked and had no clue what she was doing. In reality none of the regulars have never seen the girl before that show, so that was fake, as well as the owners getting super wasted all the time. In the real world they were horrible managers but never got super wrecked at the bar. Oh and no one ever allows a horse into the bar...
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:54 AM - 23 July, 2013
there's no such thing as a "real" reality show. they all have some type of scripting. I watch the show for entertainment and some of the tips that Taffer gives are actually useful in the nightlife business
Manny C dot com 9:08 AM - 23 July, 2013
Which episode was this? Maybe I'll check it out.

Quote:
I watched the episode...definitely seemed scripted, and a few details made little to no sense.

2500 square feet I think they said, and they're going to waste some of that space with a second DJ booth?

The "butt funnel" thing looks like it would be a major ongoing annoyance for customers, and probably wouldn't meet fire/safety codes in a lot of places.

Cerwin Vega speakers mounted sideways to ceilings, screwing up the tweeter horn's dispersion patters (will be very narrow horizontally the way they did it).

Mounting speakers on springs is nothing exotic, installers have been doing that sort of thing for many years for noise mitigation.

The new sign looked like a cheap relic from a 70's strip mall.

Maybe dueling DJ's would be a cute theme night (not sure how they're executing the concept), but ongoing it seems like a gimmick that would both wear out quickly and add considerable expenses to the operation of a rather small venue.
DJ Reflex 1:53 PM - 23 July, 2013
^^ See link above ^^ About 4th post down.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:14 PM - 23 July, 2013
Lol, you know its fake when you have someone walk into a bar and order a drink and you have perfect audio, ya the employee your suprising isnt miced up at all
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:56 PM - 23 July, 2013
Quote:
there's no such thing as a "real" reality show. they all have some type of scripting. I watch the show for entertainment and some of the tips that Taffer gives are actually useful in the nightlife business
^^^THIS

I was watching Jon T, He Don't Like It - Episode 306 - where Taffer stopped the Hoodrat fight by throwing a Ice Cold towel on their necks.

Hoodrats don't like ice cold towels? Who knew?
DJ_Phenom 6:58 PM - 23 July, 2013
Quote:
one of my co workers is a regular at one of the bars that was on the show out here in AZ, they said some of it was fake. The one biggest things fake things was a "Horrible" bartender that ended up quitting/ getting fired because she sucked and had no clue what she was doing. In reality none of the regulars have never seen the girl before that show, so that was fake, as well as the owners getting super wasted all the time. In the real world they were horrible managers but never got super wrecked at the bar. Oh and no one ever allows a horse into the bar...

Yeah they did one at a local bar here in Austin called the Brixton in the hipster area. Turned it into something called Rocket 6 i think. I know people that are regulars and know the staff. They said it was pretty much all scripted and fake drama. I saw the episode and what changes they made and it seemed cool. Went to check it out a couple months later and they got rid of 99% of all renovations and changed the name back lol.
Mr. Goodkat 8:55 PM - 23 July, 2013
i figure they get some free bar stuff and a remodel.
DJ Reflex 11:22 PM - 23 July, 2013
My favorite was the Pirate Bar and subsequent youtube retaliation video!