DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer XDJ-Aero

phatbob 10:04 AM - 9 August, 2012
djworx.com

Discuss.

;-)
echa1945mf 12:30 PM - 9 August, 2012
toy
phatbob 12:40 PM - 9 August, 2012
Agreed... But a toy with some very interesting technology on board, no?

Some pointers towards the next generation of CDJs I reckon...
echa1945mf 12:44 PM - 9 August, 2012
i dont think relying on wifi to play for 4 hours straight is scary as hell , ill pass on this

but i really have my hands itching for the rmx-1000
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:47 PM - 9 August, 2012
What the frack....

Pioneer did good with the DDJ, that was a controller that I used for quite a while before it went to collecting dust.... All I asked from pionner was a "NS7" type of controller that used the CDJ 1000 style jog wheels....
BriChi 1:04 PM - 9 August, 2012
Quote:
i dont think relying on wifi to play for 4 hours straight is scary as hell , ill pass on this

exactly, 10000%... now, make that same thing with an ethernet port so I can take it to a place for a private event that doesnt have 2000's and I may pick it up so I dont have to pull my 2000's out of my case for that event in a club
HYDRO MATIC 3:00 PM - 9 August, 2012
Uhm...I don't like pioneer products but...Dope!

Wireless made by the device...load songs from anyone's phone or laptop (weddings are now half the work)...

BUT PC only ?

Wasn't gonna buy it most likely but def not now!

Think it's time I pic up an NS7 or VCI though...
BriChi 3:12 PM - 9 August, 2012
where do you see "pc only" it says it's mac/pc compatible
dj-freestyle 5:35 PM - 9 August, 2012
Ya its mac/pc
Johnnynights 5:39 PM - 9 August, 2012
It looks pretty cool but i wonder how much it will cost.
CMOS 5:42 PM - 9 August, 2012
The crowd can send you tracks from their phone? I cant wait till the MYREQUESTISNEXTGODDAMNNIT hack comes out.
dj-freestyle 5:47 PM - 9 August, 2012
crowd can send you songs sounds like a djs worst nightmare. holy christ
ced_so_thoed 5:58 PM - 9 August, 2012
ay
it's the devil
yep
BriChi 6:15 PM - 9 August, 2012
Quote:
It looks pretty cool but i wonder how much it will cost.

the suggested is around $1300
BriChi 6:15 PM - 9 August, 2012
sp street im guessing like 900-1000
phatbob 6:53 PM - 9 August, 2012
DJ Intro compatible apparently.

So at least they're clear about the target market. Another bedroom toy from Pioneer. Hurrah!

Where's the new pro gear? Are we all meant to be bedroom jocks now?
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:59 PM - 9 August, 2012
Quote:
DJ Intro compatible apparently.

So at least they're clear about the target market. Another bedroom toy from Pioneer. Hurrah!

Where's the new pro gear? Are we all meant to be bedroom jocks now?

They are still trying to sell the rest of there 900 and 2000 line ups
BriChi 8:24 PM - 9 August, 2012
Monday for new 2000 hopefully, they say there is an announcement for new stuff first day of DJExpo
DJChad72 4:25 AM - 10 August, 2012
Ya, this seems great for house party DJs and theme nights at frat parties. Not great for performing DJs.

The concept of arranging & editing a track on the fly via tablet or smartphone is great. Would be cool to set loops, cues, and grids on the go or comfortable in bed on couch vs hunched over laptop.
haze324 4:40 PM - 10 August, 2012
I think the bigger impact is not the wifi --- but what does this say about the direction of Pioneer and going with CD-less players. SSL will need to keep up with HID platter support if there's no timecode, or perhaps we'll need to bring USB disks.
DJChad72 1:01 AM - 11 August, 2012
Actually, I would say Pioneer is the last to join the party honestly. I am assuming because of the huge margins on their CDJ lineup and the market price ceiling for MIDI w/ audio interfaces controllers. Numark has been headed this way for a number of years now, as well as Denon. There is also a number of the manufacturers who have the entry level market cornered followed suit about the same time or shortly after. Additionally, this movement has made way for those production/studio manufacturers, like Novation, take interest in the DJ market. Which makes things even more interesting for us as consumers of the professional DJ industry.

In my opinion, the DJ controller market levels the playing field when it comes to who is who. Pioneer has long been considered *the* pro DJ choice for CD players. Numark and Denon can arguably also play that role for many faithful DJs. But in this space, its really who can produce the best audio sound card? Not exactly a huge feat of technology. It therefore is more about the integration, stability, and performance of the software using that hardware that makes the "sale."

If Pioneer made an all in 1 media and/or software controller with CDJ2000 like capabilities (much like the Numark MixDeck line), then that might be the game changer for those DJ true to the Pioneer banner. Thus far the S1 and T1 are the closest they have become. For now it seems they are trying to penetrate the entry level market so that when those DJs "grow up" they stay faithful to the Pioneer brand.
d:raf 3:24 AM - 11 August, 2012
Cool concept, but the prospect of people sending their 96kbps "I can't tell the difference between that and a 320" mp3 requests from their phones is kinda scary...
DJChad72 8:18 AM - 11 August, 2012
...from their favorite and illegal bit torrent, complete with a show stopping virus. :)
BriChi 2:34 PM - 11 August, 2012
again, I am sure there is security and people cant just connect their phones to the controller, and if you think people at clubs are going there and going to:

A: care what you are using to dj
B: know its the aero thats wirelesss
C: care enough to sit there in a club on their cell and hack into your dj controller

then thats pretty sad. Me personally, I would never use it just because I would be afraid of lost WiFi connection between the laptop and controller, the last thing I would be worried about is a clubhead hacking into my dj gear during a set. ;)
DJChad72 10:04 PM - 11 August, 2012
Ya - hacking is remote. But I have visions of people bugging you to figure out how it works... "what is the name of the app?" "what is the wireless name?" "what is the password" I guess you could put a sign up with that info, but then that is asking for it. LOL

Actually, this could be cool at a club the night there ISNT a DJ. If they could somehow set this up, and allow people to connect and play music from their smartphones. It would take away from the TouchTunes some bars/club have ... but sometimes those just dont have everything you want.
d:raf 2:50 PM - 12 August, 2012
Quote:
the last thing I would be worried about is a clubhead hacking into my dj gear during a set. ;)

Never underestimate the tenacity of an anti-digital-format DJ terrorist; I turn the infrared on my macbook off because someone on this board long ago bragged about how they liked to take their apple remote to gigs and randomly turn on the dj's "Frontrow" app just to futz with them...
d:raf 3:40 PM - 12 August, 2012
Hah... found it: serato.com

Quote:
one of my favorite tricks for people with macs no more than a couple years old is to take my frontrow remote with me to the club, and right when they are searching for a tune, hit the menu button. these little remotes are all the same and work on all macs with the frontrow infrared censor.

the look on a dude's face when his SSL screen fades to the background is priceless.
you usually have to be behind him to do this, as the censor is on the front. so the key is being getting behind him without him knowing you're back there.

few people who buy macs disable this feature, as its in the Security section of System Prefs (odd place for it), you'd be amazed how many DJs i've done this to early in the night (definitely not a peak hour prank, unless you hate the guy)

warning, this may cause a USB drop out.
BriChi 4:53 PM - 12 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
the last thing I would be worried about is a clubhead hacking into my dj gear during a set. ;)

Never underestimate the tenacity of an anti-digital-format DJ terrorist; I turn the infrared on my macbook off because someone on this board long ago bragged about how they liked to take their apple remote to gigs and randomly turn on the dj's "Frontrow" app just to futz with them...

LOL,awesome
DJChad72 3:06 AM - 13 August, 2012
I actually found this out by accident last week! My universal is programmed to control my AppleTV. Had my laptop living room as I was watching something on AppleTV. As soon as I went to navigate menus on the AppleTV, it started doing something to my AppleTV as well. LOL

I will have to disable this! Geeze!
Sam Alamé 1:26 PM - 13 August, 2012
Do you think or does anyone know the Pioneer Aero will be able to be used with Serato Itch as a controller. I know that the Pioneer Ergo can be used with Serato Intro. If only able to use with Serato Intro do you think you casn use this as a controller and record the sets to a USB stick?

Thinking about getting this as dont have the space for anything bigger. I also like the fact that it has some Pioneer DJM effects for example Roll, flanger etc.

Also does anyone know if the Pioneer Aero will be bundled with any controller software? E.G Virtual DJ or Traktor??
DJChad72 11:30 PM - 13 August, 2012
Here is a Pioneer Site that says it will come with Traktor LE and will also work with Serato Intro: forums.pioneerdj.com

Recording can not be done with in Serato Intro DJ: serato.com

However if you search on "record" in the Pioneer link I provided, you will see it supports recording directly onto the thumb drive. The file format will be a WAV file. So you will want a decent size thumb drive for longer recordings. A good rule of measure is 1GB of wav file for each hour recorded.

Lastly, you might check dimensions of the Aero and compare it to the likes of the VCI380, Twitch, or the Xone DX. If size is your main driver, the Aero really isnt smaller than those ITCH capable controllers. In fact the S1 and NS6 are not much bigger than the Aeros. I understand if the WiFi feature is a draw for you. But you obviously many more features and expandability from the ITCH controllers. Based on the anticipated street price of the Aero, you are paying for a DJ controller + Network router. Which puts at roughly the same price point as most of the ITCH controllers.

I hope that helps!
irieproductions 12:31 AM - 14 August, 2012
plus standalone mixer functionality, and i believe the FX are not software based but rather hardware based built into the mixer.
Culprit 3:37 AM - 14 August, 2012
ay
pretty dope if your running a wedding with separate systems and one source
yep
d:raf 4:46 AM - 14 August, 2012
I wonder when the Wi-Fi hate threads are going to start?

"Real DJ's use data cables".

"You just can't feel the data transfer that takes place between the hard drive and the laptop... with a physical cable there's a feeling there; a certain tangibility that's lost with Wi-Fi. This makes the entire DJ-ing experience less valid."

"Back in my day if you didn't have a backup USB cable on you and yours went bad you were screwed. These new jacks don't know nuthin 'bout that. Whatever happened to "paying your dues"?"
Sam Alamé 9:40 AM - 14 August, 2012
Quote:
Here is a Pioneer Site that says it will come with Traktor LE and will also work with Serato Intro: forums.pioneerdj.com

Recording can not be done with in Serato Intro DJ: serato.com

However if you search on "record" in the Pioneer link I provided, you will see it supports recording directly onto the thumb drive. The file format will be a WAV file. So you will want a decent size thumb drive for longer recordings. A good rule of measure is 1GB of wav file for each hour recorded.

Lastly, you might check dimensions of the Aero and compare it to the likes of the VCI380, Twitch, or the Xone DX. If size is your main driver, the Aero really isnt smaller than those ITCH capable controllers. In fact the S1 and NS6 are not much bigger than the Aeros. I understand if the WiFi feature is a draw for you. But you obviously many more features and expandability from the ITCH controllers. Based on the anticipated street price of the Aero, you are paying for a DJ controller + Network router. Which puts at roughly the same price point as most of the ITCH controllers.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply. I think the main reason I am going for this unit rather than anything else is because I am so used to using Pioneer products and used to have CDJ1000's and 800 mixer and the effects that come with this unit are similar to the effects that I used mostly on the Pioneer DJM800. The size of the unit is the other factor. Also the fact that the unit can be used as a stand alone mixer. The wireless side of it doesn't bother me and I probably would not use it. I have the Ergo at the moment and hate using Virtual DJ so use Serato Intro. Only down side to that it doesn't have a record function on Intro or on the Ergo, so the fact the the Aero has a direct record feature should mean that I can use Serato Intro to mix with and use the USB port on the top to record the set. Would you say that this is true?? Is there any other controller that would allow me to use it in this way?
DJChad72 11:58 AM - 14 August, 2012
It sounds like that is the correct assumption for the recording port. Just as an FYI, the VCI380 and NS6 allow for use as a standalone mixer. But dont have built in effects. But get ya if you're used to Pioneer and are faithful to their brand.

I was with Numark my entire DJ existence and when I came to Serato ITCH camp.... I went with the Xone DX. I am very pro A&H now. Basically of its a good product you're going to be loyal to the brand. All of the hardware OEMs for ITCH are among the best brands in the DJ business. So. Most likely you'll be happy as long as you have the functions you want to perform with.