Hardware
iPad mini
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djcharles 5:05 PM - 6 November, 2005
So I have my External Hard drive plugged in. I don't want to see the music that is on my iTunes because I just find it too cumbersome dealing with thousands of files which I know i won't play. So I removed the option read Itunes library but i can't see any music files.
(PS: before anybody jumps at me for not looking at other threads about that issue, i would like to say that i have).
DJing in a few hours, please help
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:57 PM - 6 November, 2005
you must import the files to SSL
djcharles 3:40 AM - 7 November, 2005
ok, thanks for that, but how do you import the tracks into SSL without putting them onto my laptop hard drive.
sorry if I sound so stupid but i'm new to SSL and not enough of a computer expert to know where my hidden folders are located and stuff.
I appreciate all the help i can get.
djcharles 4:15 AM - 7 November, 2005
Let me rephrase that. I press the import button, I can see the external hard drive as well as my laptop's hard drive and the music folder but i can't see the actual music files. Basically, it looks like all those folders are empty.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:22 AM - 7 November, 2005
import doesnt actually move the files to your laptop HD
it just tells Serato where the files are located

click on the folder again and your files should be there?
by the way what are your files? mp3? wav?

you might want to go to setup and click show all files
djcharles 6:11 AM - 7 November, 2005
Files are mp3. Doesn't matter how many times I click on the folder, even if I quit Serato and start over again, it's the same situation.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:44 PM - 7 November, 2005
that is weird...

can you verify that there are mp3 in your "folder(s)"?
go to your actual Ext HD (From explorer)(not sure if you have pc or mac) and open up the folders
and double check

I dont know how else to help ya
but it should be pretty easy to import songs.
nik39 4:23 PM - 7 November, 2005
I guess you suffer from this problem described here: scratchlive.net (Mac Only - Folder with >1900 files)
djcharles 4:40 PM - 7 November, 2005
Oh ok, Thanks you guys. Will try that out right now.
djcharles 5:30 PM - 7 November, 2005
Damn, still doesn't work. I put a dozen MP3s on the hard disk and it still couldn't read anything, even with the read all files ticked on.
Think I might have to start a new thread requesting follow up cause it seems like I cannot use an external hard drive.
If I was to import the songs directly by dragging them onto SSL, wouldn't that just copy them into the SSL folder (imported folder) or would it leave them on the ext. HD and create a path for SSL to find them.
I would hate to copy my music twice: in iTunes library and the SSL folder on my laptop when I have a dope firewire 80G ext HD.
djcharles 5:14 AM - 8 November, 2005
The thing is it works fine with my g5 at home. I can browse through all my folders in the computer and the external hard drive. But I still can't do it on my laptop (10.2.8 g4-1gHz).
Could I please get the help of a Serato moderator or something.
Thanks
Shaun W 7:45 PM - 8 November, 2005
Are you logged in as an administrator?

Do the files on your external HD have file extentions?
djcharles 8:04 PM - 8 November, 2005
yes, i'm logged in as admin (no other users).
files have mp3 extension. It cannot read any files/folders at all.
Shaun W 9:21 PM - 8 November, 2005
Can you drag and drop tracks into SSL using the finder window instead of the import function?
djcharles 9:04 AM - 9 November, 2005
Yes I can Import them directly by dragging them into SSl. However, The whole point for me to use my ext. HD is so that I don't clogg up my internal memory with more songs or doubles. I don't want to use iTunes. If I import the files directly into SSL from the ext. HD, would they not be imported onto the Music/ScratchLIVE/imported folder on my laptop's internal memory.
I'm going abroad tommorrow with SSL for the first time and really hope I can rely on it as I can't bring too many crates of vinyl.
Shaun W 6:00 PM - 9 November, 2005
Quote:
If I import the files directly into SSL from the ext. HD, would they not be imported onto the Music/ScratchLIVE/imported folder on my laptop's internal memory.

Files imported directly into Scratch LIVE aren't moved or copied anywhere. Scratch LIVE simply creates a shortcut/reference file pointing to the file location.
djcharles 7:39 PM - 9 November, 2005
ok wanted to make sure. So that's just the solution then, I should just import draging tracks directly into SSL.
I still wonder why I can do it from my G5 desktop but not my laptop. Anyway, I can live with that.
The other question which is obviously going to sound dumb is: Will SSl always recognize the shorcut/reference files like you said everytime my ext HD is plugged in, and also in that case I won't need to rebuild my overviews, right?
Shaun W 10:06 PM - 9 November, 2005
You are correct.
djcharles 11:38 PM - 9 November, 2005
Thanks for all your help guys.