Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Using Serato ITCH on the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

thebman18 4:18 AM - 4 July, 2012
So this is an all-new issue and I don't expect Serato will solve this issue for a while. But I am asking.

Who out there has a Retina MacBook Pro and wants this update?

I sold my 17-inch MacBook Pro and got this new Retina MacBook Pro. Of course, the ITCH interface and SCRATCH LIVE interface looks quite pixelated. The text the is the same. It is usable but very pixelated. I would love an update for this problem.

Serato, when can we expect an update for this?

Thanks!
djemdub 5:31 AM - 4 July, 2012
Serato isn't good with giving dates or estimations. Let alone sticking to them.lol I'm sure they are going to say, "we will be looking to implement or resolve this issue on a future update." We have been waiting for an ETA for itch 2.3 basically since users found out 2.2 only added Serato video and a few bug fixes. So I don't think you will be getting a correct answer
Markabre 12:55 PM - 4 July, 2012
Yup, Serato's communication on things like this is really disappointing, which is a real shame for something that's an important misson critical work platform for many of us.

Keeping quiet on innovative features several months before they are ready to go to market due to competition is totally understandable. But the fact that Serato has been pretty poor communicating with the community on the small stuff (yet still influences our own purchasing plans) is pretty crap.
DJPrice_inMD 1:25 PM - 4 July, 2012
You could adjust your computer resolution settings down to a proper sizing when using Itch and this would solve the pixelation issues I think.
Markabre 1:27 PM - 4 July, 2012
It won't. Just in the same way looking at pixel doubled content on the new iPad looks worse than original content on the iPad2
Markabre 1:32 PM - 4 July, 2012
Also if I understand correctly Retina macs don't exactly do different resolutions anymore. It is always 2880-by-1800 you can now just choose the scale of the interface elements to equivalents of the real estate you'd have at 1440x900 or 1920x1200, so you can't just set the resolution back to 1440x900 if that's what you meant.
hologram 8:19 PM - 4 July, 2012
hmm guess it doesn't bother me.
Anton2079 1:54 PM - 6 July, 2012
Agreed, hoping the new 2.3 supports it =)
Markabre 10:33 PM - 8 July, 2012
Having now received my Retina MBP I can say that while Retina Itch would be appreciated, it's currently totally usable and acceptable considering the distance I am from the screen when performing.

While I expect updating it to retina wouldn't be a huge project I'd take updated FX, Midi for Video and bug fixes over it any day! Just sayin'
thebman18 10:58 PM - 8 July, 2012
Markabre,

Glad you got your new Retina MacBook Pro. I agree. ITCH is totally usable. But I'd love to see optimization for this screen and maybe some use of the 1:1 pixel ratio for video or something like that.

What screen resolution are you using ITCH with? (i.e. scaling resolution like 1680x1050)

I used to have the 17-inch MacBook Pro so I was used to 1920x1200.
Markabre 11:28 PM - 8 July, 2012
I'm using it at the standard "best for retina" resolution but I might experiment with the scaling in conjunction with itch's own text size preference to find the best balance of interface/waveform to text size.

I'm coming from a 13" Macbook Air and comparatively this thing is so silky smooth. It's incredible to have it set to the lowest latency and only see a thin sliver of green in the CPU meter. What's more after DJing for hours without a single hitch I realised I'd accidentally left Safari, Quicktime and a complex Final Cut project open in the background. Just try that with a MBA!

On a side note: I booted Mountain Lion Beta from an external drive out of curiosity and the good news is that it seems to improve the fluidity of the graphics on the Retina MBPs. Seems like refinement more than new features so hopefully itch will work fine on launch, not yet tested it.

Something really has to improve about the way Serato Video is implemented, without midi or a controller of it's own it's not really practical for me to use in every day use. Nice idea but it's too primitive. If we wanted to be clicking away on our laptops rather than using something tactile we probably wouldn't be using a platform primarily based around tactile physical hardware...right? Seems bizarre and half assed to me.

I'm more likely to use Vjay on iPad, far more immediate, even if it won't necessarily autosync to the music from itch.
thebman18 4:22 AM - 27 July, 2012
Mountain Lion and ITCH on the Retina MacBook Pro don't play well together. I installed last night and so far my Numark NS6 is not working with it. It says hardware not connected. But it shows up in the Numark NS6 Audio driver app. That says that it is connected. But ITCH doesn't want to read it.

This SUCKS.
Phono Jones 3:03 AM - 9 August, 2012
Got my new Retina Display also. Its a beast. 16gb ram 760 flash drive. I also hope that Serato updates soon to adapt with Retina display. Gonna look amazing when they do. Looks horrible right now!!
Scaling down resolution also changes everything else on your computer, not just Serato which i was hoping.
Osx Mountain Lion is not supported with Serato as yet. Gatekeeper is the villain here. wont recognize any program that is not signed with mac. Will be soon though. Thats why you should never DL the latest OSX.
Markabre 8:01 AM - 9 August, 2012
Gatekeeper is not the issue at all.

You can right click/ctrl click on the installer and hit open from there or, for example, change the Gatekeeper settings.

and just for the record: serato.com

VCI-380 works with ML apart from the offline player
NS6 not so much.
djsimonse 10:44 AM - 16 August, 2012
Quote:
Mountain Lion and ITCH on the Retina MacBook Pro don't play well together. I installed last night and so far my Numark NS6 is not working with it. It says hardware not connected. But it shows up in the Numark NS6 Audio driver app. That says that it is connected. But ITCH doesn't want to read it.

This SUCKS.

Hi, thebman18.

You can download the new driver for ns6 here www.numark.com and it will work as normal again. :)

Cheers!
thebman18 9:33 AM - 19 August, 2012
Quote:

Hi, thebman18.

You can download the new driver for ns6 here www.numark.com and it will work as normal again. :)

Cheers!

Right on top of that, thanks djsimonse. I downloaded it about a week ago and am up and running again, on Mountain Lion no less!

Glad to be back...
revancheX 7:27 PM - 22 August, 2012
Quote:

This SUCKS.

This sort of thing sometimes happens with the NS6 even on Snow Leopard. Sometimes the drivers get deregistered by ITCH. To fix it, download the drivers and install them manually:

numarkns6.com

or directly

numarkns6.com

This is not 100% guaranteed to work, but it might.
revancheX 7:27 PM - 22 August, 2012
oh sorry, didn't read to the bottom of the thread :D
djchad_123 8:48 PM - 16 November, 2014
i agree