Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

VCI-380 SSL Mapping

Product
ITCH
Version
2.2.1 (Vestax VCI-380)
Hardware
Vestax VCI-380
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Jason Slack 11:29 AM - 4 June, 2012
Does anyone know where I can find the VCI-380 SSL Mapping file which is mentioned in the video they created?

www.youtube.com
Qwall 5:05 AM - 5 June, 2012
THANX
Ron M 8:54 PM - 5 June, 2012
Hi Jason Slack,

The mapping mentioned in the video will be available shortly. Thank you for your patience and support.

Regards,

Ron
Serato, Support
Mak T 2:17 AM - 6 June, 2012
Hey Jason Slack,

We are in the process of completing this and will notify all our users once this has been completed and released.

Thank You for your patience.

Cheers.
MSF 3:02 AM - 6 June, 2012
awesome Thanks.
Jason Slack 2:25 PM - 6 June, 2012
:)
Jason Slack 6:47 PM - 15 July, 2012
Still waiting for this...
Serato, Support
Mak T 10:13 PM - 15 July, 2012
Hey Jason Slack,

Thank you for your patience. We are in the process of completing this along with some other fixes that have been brought to our attention by our users. We will notify all our users once everything has been completed.

Cheers.
Mr Wilks 5:50 PM - 16 July, 2012
Just a random question that kinda fits the same subject but do you do a Scratch Live map for the Twitch? It would make a perfect Serato Video and effect/cue point controller with sampler. Can this be done natively with Serato to get light output?
Serato, Support
Mak T 2:51 AM - 17 July, 2012
Hey Mr Wilks,

There is no set Scratch Live mapping for the Novation twitch, however you can you use it as a normal MIDI device and use it to map functions such as cue points, SP6 Sample Player and DJ-FX.

I'am not sure what you mean by 'light output'.

I hope I have answered your question.

Cheers.
serkan 8:03 AM - 17 July, 2012
Will the 380 mapping be usuall MIDI or some HID goodness with "light output"?
-> i.e. you engage a loop = LED on
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:52 AM - 17 July, 2012
From what's been said it's a MIDI mapping made by Vestax. What we really """"NEED"""" is HID support from serato, so everthing works perfect and tight and all the leds light when they should.

Or if scratchlive had midi out that would be a great start.
XRM5 4:01 PM - 17 July, 2012
Mak T:

Quote:
I'am not sure what you mean by 'light output'.

MIDI output of software control states in SL so that external hardware control feedback like lights can respond properly. Scratch Live's MIDI implementation at the moment is only halfway finished, because it only supports MIDI input.
spicaly 8:45 PM - 17 July, 2012
any updates to this? i would love to be able to use the 380 in ssl
Matt Hite 9:36 PM - 17 July, 2012
I am also eagerly awaiting!
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:30 PM - 17 July, 2012
Why don't you just map it yourself? After all thats all someone at vestax is doing then when they have done they will upload it. But the leds wont work. And for the platter controll the hack has been posted about on the forums.
wadup 10:48 PM - 17 July, 2012
^^^ except there's a problem mapping the pitch slider.....
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:07 PM - 17 July, 2012
Is there? What is the issue?
Matt Hite 11:19 PM - 17 July, 2012
Doesn't seem to work right. Just jumps all over the place.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:23 PM - 17 July, 2012
Ok cool, it does that in itch anyway. Pitch is abit dodgy.

So it could have to wait for an ssl update and/or vci firmware.
Mr Wilks 3:42 PM - 18 July, 2012
Also the shift modifiers would be tricky? That's the issue I had with the Twitch.

Serato need to up their game with MIDI as i need layers on my Twitch and light output for use with Serato Video.

When i'm back from Greece in September I'll be buying a VCI-380 to replace the Twitch.
4:00 PM, 1 Aug 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Jason Slack 5:27 PM - 1 August, 2012
BUMP...

Still waiting :(
Jason Slack 2:17 PM - 13 August, 2012
BUMP!
serkan 9:47 PM - 19 August, 2012
Another bump.
The issues must be huge!
Jason Slack 2:27 PM - 20 August, 2012
I brought the equipment 2 months ago but still can't use it for the reasons I brought it for which they advertised in the video. Watchwww.youtube.com
wadup 2:52 PM - 20 August, 2012
^^^ it could be that they are waiting for ssl 2.5 which some people rumor to have midi output
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:38 PM - 20 August, 2012
SSL 3.0 Jan 2013! ??? hmmmm
Markabre 7:47 PM - 20 August, 2012
Meanwhile... Itch 2.2.2.1 Public Beta January 2020
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:48 PM - 20 August, 2012
Quote:
Meanwhile... Itch 2.2.2.1 Public Beta January 2020

lol
prizo 3:34 AM - 21 August, 2012
bump it up, can't wait to start using this on gigs
ernie 3:54 PM - 21 August, 2012
What's next VCI 360? lol
Markabre 4:51 PM - 21 August, 2012
The "VCI-180"

The manoeuvre people do when they get the 380 home, realise how buggy Itch is, turn on the spot and return the bloody thing :P
Mattatya 8:29 AM - 24 August, 2012
+1
Jason Slack 9:17 PM - 4 September, 2012
BUMP
wadup 9:54 PM - 4 September, 2012
kind of disappointed with this.....no words or update about it.
Jason Slack 8:14 PM - 9 September, 2012
I am very disappointed! Surely they must have internal deadlines? Even tried emailing both Vestax and Serato which they respond saying it's under the works. Serato are very quickly falling behind in my eyes. DJ Rasp is currently touring and using it for the same purpose, SSL and using it as a mixer however it don't even look like he has the mapping as only uses the crossfader and filter.
prizo 7:56 AM - 12 September, 2012
Hello? Vestax you assured me that this was already in place, just testing... Please reassure us this is coming. Anyone else sick of the differences with itch when looping, roll, etc. Seems sort of like slip mode for new pioneer, whatever is done loop wise automatically jumps to part of song it would be at. Anyway to change this?
Jason Slack 12:00 PM - 17 September, 2012
Still waiting Vestax/Serato.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:44 PM - 17 September, 2012
There already is one some guy has made it. Its no official one but nor will vestax. Hopefully ssl will have a big midi update and also support midi out. Tgen we would see a good mapping for the vci 380.
Qoolee Kid 9:29 PM - 18 September, 2012
hmm still nothing? what's up with it? waiting to purchase my 380, but will only do so when this mapping is available.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:22 PM - 18 September, 2012
you do know serato does not support this vci-380 as a native scratchlive controller?? so all this mapping will be is that someone at vestax makes a midi map which any normal person can do and has done. But none of the lights in the buttons will work not even if vestax make it.

What we all want/need is Vestax/Serato to work together to make it a native controller for scratchlive yes we would still have to use our rane SL-box.

any reason why you do not want to use itch?
Qoolee Kid 4:08 PM - 19 September, 2012
itch has been really buggy as far as audio drop outs, midi drop outs, limiter etc with my NS7, but believe me, i've done most if not all i can in working out the kinks but still have issues and from reading/hearing reviews, it's not completely smooth sailing with the 380. but i don't know, maybe it's my laptop. although i am running more than the required minimum specs.
Qoolee Kid 4:09 PM - 19 September, 2012
^^ to piggy back... SSL runs just fine on the same laptop, so it cannot be my laptop if i'm not mistaken.
prizo 6:06 PM - 19 September, 2012
Believe it or not, the vci-380 version of itch is pretty stable, no issues as of yet. I had Ns6 and had crashes left and right.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:57 PM - 19 September, 2012
but you loose alot of the stuff on the vci-380 by using scratchlive.
prizo 1:52 PM - 21 September, 2012
I would still prefer ssl to itch. There are still some bugs (ex: turning on efx can cause an audio glitch popping sound)
Jason Slack 2:58 PM - 22 September, 2012
Email from Vestax UK
Sep 18 (4 days ago)

Hi,

We have the mapping in the final stages of checking so should be available very soon.
Jason Slack 3:05 PM - 22 September, 2012
Vestax has majorly annoyed me with this. Surely they shouldn't advertise it as it has lead to my misled purchase. They must also have internal deadlines to be able to provide dates of completion? I'm very tempted to try and swap or sell my VCI380 and get a VCI400 and use that with Traktor Scratch but really don't want to buy anything Vestax after this and I do love SSL.
XRM5 4:50 PM - 22 September, 2012
It's hard to fault Vestax for more than procrastinating and misleading people's expectations.

The 380 is amazing, seriously the most innovative DJ controller ever. It's better than the software it's paired with, and that's where the problems come in.

I don't mean to bash Itch, because they're obviously working hard on it right now, but all that work is undercut by the baaad audio fx, the limited UI, the lack of MIDI, and all the other things they reserve to make sure we're all still buying Rane hardware too. If Serato didn't intentionally keep Scratch Live features out of Itch, and more to the point if they kept up with their competition by doing away with the arbitrary separation between Itch & SL, then there wouldn't be a problem. Other software lets you mix controllers & vinyl, and Serato has no valid reason to still be forcing this limitation on everyone.

But even if you don't agree with that, the weak MIDI implementation in SL is certainly the main reason this has taken so long.
prizo 6:56 PM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:
It's hard to fault Vestax for more than procrastinating and misleading people's expectations.

The 380 is amazing, seriously the most innovative DJ controller ever. It's better than the software it's paired with, and that's where the problems come in.

I don't mean to bash Itch, because they're obviously working hard on it right now, but all that work is undercut by the baaad audio fx, the limited UI, the lack of MIDI, and all the other things they reserve to make sure we're all still buying Rane hardware too. If Serato didn't intentionally keep Scratch Live features out of Itch, and more to the point if they kept up with their competition by doing away with the arbitrary separation between Itch & SL, then there wouldn't be a problem. Other software lets you mix controllers & vinyl, and Serato has no valid reason to still be forcing this limitation on everyone.

But even if you don't agree with that, the weak MIDI implementation in SL is certainly the main reason this has taken so long.

Couldn't of said it better myself. Great piece of kit.
Jason Slack 12:32 AM - 25 September, 2012
I love it, no doubt in that! For the small setup it does the job.

Just I brought it to use as a controller for small parties and a mixer with midi for big parties. Vestax still shouldn't advertise stuff which don't exist. I trusted Vestax when they said a mapping file was available from their website only to bring the product home and find out there is no such thing.
Jason Slack 12:33 AM - 25 September, 2012
I also find it amazing that a company can't provide a date for release!
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:51 AM - 25 September, 2012
then map it your self!!! jesus how many times? this mapping will be nothing mazing unless itis done by serato as a native controller.

some one has already mapped it go play with that --> serato.com
Jason Slack 1:43 AM - 25 September, 2012
I'm currently using that mapping, plus some effects but if it's taken then 3 months to build a mapping, I some how expect more than just your bog standard mapping.
DJ SHY 6:19 PM - 25 September, 2012
quick question... when in "standalone mixer mode" and plugged in via USB, is the crossfader and channel faders midi mappable?.. reason I ask is b/c i want to use this as a midi controller for Mix Emergency...
Jason Slack 2:55 PM - 26 September, 2012
yup everything is mappable cept the master vol even in mixer mode
DJ SHY 4:02 PM - 26 September, 2012
cool thanks @jason
serkan 2:28 AM - 9 October, 2012
Today is October 9, in case you forgot...
Vestax
Jerome at Vestax 9:32 AM - 10 October, 2012
Hi everyone,

The VCI-380 mapping file is now available.
You can download the file and setup instructions here:
help.vestax.co.jp

This mapping file was designed and developed by Vestax. Serato do not provide official support for this mapping. For support questions, please contact csg@vestax.jp.

Thank you for having been very patient with the release of this mapping. As you may guess it was not an easy one, and for that reason we had to delay the release.

We hope you like it.

The Vestax HQ team.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:53 AM - 10 October, 2012
Nice
DJ SHY 4:27 PM - 10 October, 2012
excellent! thanks!
ntmoney 6:24 AM - 11 October, 2012
Finally some good news for the 380! Thanks Vestax!
DJ Kid Stretch 8:40 AM - 11 October, 2012
i only habe the vci-380 and a ttm-57, so i cannot try the mapping.
if i buy an SL2,3 or 4, what will this do?
have 2 turntables, use the vci-380 like a mixer? can i load a track and control it with vinyls, or the jogwheels, or both?
Markabre 2:39 PM - 11 October, 2012
Quote:
i only habe the vci-380 and a ttm-57, so i cannot try the mapping.
if i buy an SL2,3 or 4, what will this do?
have 2 turntables, use the vci-380 like a mixer? can i load a track and control it with vinyls, or the jogwheels, or both?

Same here. I'd love to see a video showcasing the practicality and advantages of this setup.
Napoleon Diamond 12:45 PM - 12 October, 2012
2 Turntables and the VCI as Mixer and Controller.

You can control the track with both.
Absolut and REL mode = Vinyl
Internal = Jogwheels

That´s pretty sweet in the club, if you have problems with the needle or the signal, just switch to internal mode. (the pitch work aswell)

Scroll and Load function is also working

Does anyone got a manual about the LED Feedback?
I have absolutely no idea how this will work!
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:29 PM - 12 October, 2012
ssl does not have midi out so none of the leds will light up.
Napoleon Diamond 1:32 PM - 12 October, 2012
That´s a quote from the official Vestax manual.

"If you want to get LED feedback, we recommend you to use the Midi Translator Pro or the Bome Player applications, together with a Midi Translator LED emulation program."
prizo 4:56 AM - 22 October, 2012
Will this not work with sl-1 box?