DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Lightning Bolt beside file

Marella 5:12 AM - 30 September, 2005
Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the lightning bolt beside a file means and? Also how does one get rid of the "padlock" beside a file? and I have ONE file with a BLUE DOT beside it, I cannot figure these out. Please assist and advise

Marella
skinnyguy 8:18 AM - 30 September, 2005
i believe the lightning bolt means that the file is corrupt

never saw the others yet...
Revolutionary 1:56 PM - 30 September, 2005
Check the manual...It's all described there ;)
hogg 5:12 AM - 23 December, 2005
Quote:
Check the manual...It's all described there ;)

I have a PDF of the manual and I searched for "bolt" and "lightning" and nothing came up.

So, um...what does it mean?
DJMark 5:19 AM - 23 December, 2005
Blue dot means you selected that color for the track last time you played it. I think it's meant as a visual-association feature...it's one little detail that tells me this software was designed by people who actually understand DJ's.

It's not really a lightning bolt, it's a "broken" file. It means the software detected corruption in the soundfile.
soeasy 2:35 PM - 23 December, 2005
yeah, it's a corrupted file. one way to fix it is to delete it from your crate, re-encode the original file then import it into serato again.
skinnyguy 9:43 PM - 23 December, 2005
or it could mean that God will strike you down if you play that file =P
DJ Slade 8:45 PM - 27 December, 2005
Quote:
or it could mean that God will strike you down if you play that file =P

LOL, I'd pay in cash to see that!

I'm not sure if it means corrupt file, or a read/seek error on the file. I've had that problem when I accidentally powered off my external drive...and all my songs had that lighting bolt next to them....
daenyx 1:04 AM - 28 December, 2005
Serato techs advised me that yes the corrupted files should definately be deleted. Though, I keep several on there anyway for home use. But I sure as heck wouldn't trust it under fire.
DJ Fa2LA 9:57 PM - 2 August, 2015
Just because nobody else chimed in about the padlock.

To remove (on Mac) Hold Control and Click on the actual padlock icon to remove, or 'unlock' it. Assume it's a similar on windows.
DJ Reflex 11:51 PM - 2 August, 2015
^^ Only 10 years late. ^^
DJ Fa2LA 12:32 AM - 3 August, 2015
It's still top hit on Google as of today so figured i'd share.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:08 PM - 3 August, 2015
Lol. Way to respond to a 10 year old query. I wonder if the OP is still here.
Demonstr8 2:41 AM - 17 October, 2015
OP was struck down by God for playing a corrupt file...sorry to break it to you :(
OSCILL8R 3:06 AM - 14 April, 2017
😂😂😂😂
DJ Razz #79 11:57 PM - 23 January, 2019
Is there a way to pull up all tracks with "lightening bolt" as opposed to deleting them individually? I delete these tracks as I see them but Serato crashes every time I do this. I have 300k+ songs so it would be a little time consuming to scroll through music to find corrupt files.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:21 AM - 24 January, 2019
Quote:
Is there a way to pull up all tracks with "lightening bolt" as opposed to deleting them individually? I delete these tracks as I see them but Serato crashes every time I do this. I have 300k+ songs so it would be a little time consuming to scroll through music to find corrupt files.

With the sort column

Toggle the column that the lightening shows on ...should be the very first column. Shift and highlight all the tracks you wanna delete.

Delete

Or drag them all to a new crate ...go through them one buy to find out what the issue is...if you select one with the cursor...the lower Serato banner tells you what's wrong with track.

You can use an app like mp3repair to fix them.