Off Topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Which Wireless Router is better - Linksys (Cisco) vs. Netgear?

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:42 PM - 22 April, 2012
Ok, I've got ol' reliable - Linksys - WRT54G - upload.wikimedia.org

Ready to upgrade...

Here are my needs

Able to cover House of 2266 square feet - Upstairs and down
Gigabit Speeds
3 or 4 wireless laptops
Wii
iPhone
USB Printer
Online Storage
Future - Media Center
Future - Internet Enabled TV's
Stickam :-D and other Internet Broadcast Feeds
Movement of Large Files across the network

I've got 2 Routers in Mind -

Linksys EA4500 - home.cisco.com
homestore-ca.cisco.com

or

Netgear WNDR 4500 -
www.computer-network.net
www.netgear.com

Honerable Mention -
Linksys - EA3500 - homestore.cisco.com
homestore-ca.cisco.com.

What wireless routers are YOU guys using?
CMOS 5:49 PM - 22 April, 2012
I generally stick to cisco. Have had lots of netgear products die over the years. You may have some coverage issues in that space. May want to buy a few of these as neither of those routers have ports to screw in a 5db antenna.

homestore.cisco.com

Im still running th wrt54g, have everything hard wired using Powerline connectors.

www.monoprice.com

Im in a small apart and i have my own circuit breaker so the powerline stuff works well for me. If i ever get approved for this condo im tryin to buy its gonna be cat6 errywhere.
popnwave 6:03 PM - 22 April, 2012
Powerline is great to get to spots the wifi just won't penetrate well. I did that for my dad's blu-ray player since the wifi just couldn't hang well with the his HD netflix stuff with where the modem/router were set up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:14 PM - 22 April, 2012
Are you serious? I didn't think those over the AC jawns worked...wow.

But you do bring up a good point regarding the Range Extenders...

Deez swears by the Netgear...

And I used to have problems with the Linksys, until it was found out that it was actually my CABLE MODEM that was causing the issues....and I haven't had a problem since....

Plus that Cisco Cloud thing might be interesting...
CMOS 8:22 PM - 22 April, 2012
Quote:
Powerline is great to get to spots the wifi just won't penetrate well. I did that for my dad's blu-ray player since the wifi just couldn't hang well with the his HD netflix stuff with where the modem/router were set up.

Pretty much the reason i did it too, streaming 1080p movies over wifi sucks. Didnt go N router as most of my devices dont have N cards and wouldve wound up being more expensive tobuy cards too.

Netgear works just as well, its just my personal preference as ive had a few die out over the years, most of my stuff for clients i run netgear switches with sonicwall routers as the cisco stuff can be over priced imo.
CMOS 8:26 PM - 22 April, 2012
It sucks that most home routers dont come with screw on antennas any more. Used to be able unscrew the default antennas and pop these badboys on, 2 of these on a WRT54 would cover your whole house, put that in the crawlspace and strecth the wiring to each side of the house, hell itd cover the yard too.

www.google.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:48 PM - 22 April, 2012
Check out
ASUS RT-N56U Wi-Fi Gigabit Router

benchmarkreviews.com

what i like about it: 2 types of wireless 2.4GHz and 5GHz
5gb i claim for myself :P 2.4ghz for guest
2 USB 2.0 ports I use these for hard drive and printer. Then watch movies via laptop ipads, iphones and appletv 2s.

I have comcast and bought myself a modem Motorola Surfboard SB120
So far so good.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:52 PM - 22 April, 2012
Quote:
It sucks that most home routers dont come with screw on antennas any more. Used to be able unscrew the default antennas and pop these badboys on, 2 of these on a WRT54 would cover your whole house, put that in the crawlspace and strecth the wiring to each side of the house, hell itd cover the yard too.

www.google.com

Dude, who's launch codes are YOU trying to intercept with those?
d:raf 12:21 AM - 23 April, 2012
I'm no expert on networking, but after owning a Netgear and having to re-input my ISP login info -every time- there was a power glitch/outage at my house I swore I'd never buy one again. It died, I bought a used WRT54G from a friend and never had that problem again.
ninos 4:09 AM - 23 April, 2012
i have that exact linksys. my house is 994 square feet, i have full bars were ever i go, its super fast. full bars in the garage too. i can go down 4 houses from my house and i still have fast connection.
Dj Nyce 4:22 AM - 23 April, 2012
Netgear WNDR 4500 is the best router out right now. three streams @ 150Mb/s for a total of 450mb/s.

it also usb storage/media server support, 450mb/s on both the 2.4 and 5Gh radios. guest network has isolation and can be separated from network, traffic meter, parental controls.

the range and speed is ridiculous especially with wireless devices with newer wifi chips. sold my linksys for this.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:07 AM - 23 April, 2012
Quote:
Netgear WNDR 4500 is the best router out right now. three streams @ 150Mb/s for a total of 450mb/s.

But isn't the Linksys EA4500 the EXACT same specs?

homestore-ca.cisco.com - minus 1 USB port?
Dj Knockout101 12:02 PM - 5 June, 2012
I am a Linksys guy, however I decided to give Asus routers a chance and it hasn't failed. Same specs as the both router, and gives you the option to install other powerful antenna. And it is all at around the same price as the Netgear and Linksys router.
Robert W 11:32 PM - 5 June, 2012
Just dont go with Belkin. Mine is 2 feet away from my laptop and keeps disconnecting me all the time.
Papa Midnight 9:16 PM - 6 June, 2012
Cisco-Linksys has been my go to for years. Netgear is ok... but that's on a product-by-product basis (i.e.: the WNR2000v2 was an excellent product). But I don't use stock firmware. I haven't used Stock firmware since.... 2007, lol - DD-WRT and Tomato all day. Do not touch Belkin and stay FAR away from D-Link. If you've got money to burn, get a Buffalo. I don't know much about ASUS consumer level routers so I'd defer to someone else's judgement on that.
Serenitysdad 12:09 AM - 6 May, 2013
Papa Midnight...always had Cisco-Linksys, but last 5 years, very unhappy. They have definely changed something. Today I bought a Buffalo AC1300/N900. You mentioned that you do not use stock firmware, haven't since 2007. What do use, and where do you get it? I am hoping to hear from others on the forum. Thank you.
DJ GaFFle 12:02 PM - 6 May, 2013
I have an Asus RT-AC66R. With that being said and if I were to get another wireless router, I'd get an Apple Airport Extreme.

I use to run one of those white, antennae-less Netgear N-routers... total garbage. That thing would choke every time I had to VPN into work. I had a weekly ritual of rebooting it.

(nm)