DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Losing files when you unplug your external hard drive without ejecting

Mezzy 5:31 PM - 22 December, 2007
So check this,i wanna know if it's just me or does every one believe that ANY time you unplug your external hard drive by accident without ejecting it first,you will ALWAYS and ABSOLUTELY corrupt,kill or lose random files?..Cause out of the blue,i will come across files that will be completely dead in iTunes..they just won't play..And it's usually various tracks in one particular album or ep..

In my mind i'll think,"Oh,it must have been that one time my hard drive got ejected or there was a power failure"(due to having a seperate power source for my external..arrrgh!)...I dunno..And whats even crazier than that is that these same files in SSL will read fine,have no crack through them and play just fine.

For eg: I just made cue points for about 7 of these mysterious tracks i jsut mentioned in my SSL player..I played them completely all the way through and they were totally cool..I brought this up recently in another discussion and a moderator said i could still have crashes and that i should delete them regardless..They were'nt crashing on me then..BUT again,why the hell are they dead in iTunes?..Could it be that one time my external got unplugged?..I know one thing,i can't wait til i upgrade my internal hard drive in my Macbook Pro to a 200 g..Incite and opinions anyone?..Peace, Mez
DJ Jinnai 6:38 PM - 22 December, 2007
Well, the chances of your drive losing files and possibly corrupting your entire external are very high if you do not eject first, wait for the 'ok' from the computer, then unplug.

Yes I have lost files due to not ejecting first because the computer was still reading those files while connected.
Mezzy 6:48 PM - 22 December, 2007
Quote:
Well, the chances of your drive losing files and possibly corrupting your entire external are very high if you do not eject first, wait for the 'ok' from the computer, then unplug.

Yes I have lost files due to not ejecting first because the computer was still reading those files while connected.

But don't these externals have a failsafe surge protector built in?..I'm using a Western Digital 250 g Mybook..I mean what if theres a random power surge in the house?..cause i've had that happen..You'd think these hard drives have some type of built in protector
DJ_Motion 7:24 PM - 22 December, 2007
I lost 300gigs by doing this. I was effing pissed!
Mezzy 7:36 PM - 22 December, 2007
Quote:
I lost 300gigs by doing this. I was effing pissed!

Wow..Nightmare scary..For the record,what model of external were you using?
FATTY FAT FAT 8:20 PM - 22 December, 2007
every time i eject externals from my laptop while running scratch live i lose a bunch of files. they all end up in the trash bin. i no longer allow anyone to plug their externals into my laptop when i play group sets
sixxx 8:29 PM - 22 December, 2007
Journaling

When Journaling is turned on for a drive or volume, a continuous record (a journal) is created by the Mac OS, of the work that you do, i.e., opening, saving , deleting files, etc. If your Mac crashes or goes down do to a power failure, upon reboot, Journaling will help the Mac OS to get back up and running.

You can turn Journaling on, at any time, for any drive or volume. In Disk Utility, select the drive in the left hand column, then, from the Disk Utility tool bar click on 'Enable Journaling' (below left). Once a drive or partition has Journaling turned on, the only way to turn it off would be to open up disk utility, select the drive you want to turn journalling off, then hold down the option key and click the file menu - now the 'disable journaling' option will be available (below right).

I have NEVER lost a single file due to a power failure or a dumbass disconnecting or unplugging my external while SSL was on. No corrupt files either.
DJ_Motion 9:35 PM - 22 December, 2007
Western digital 1TB harddrive... ^^^
DJ_Motion 9:35 PM - 22 December, 2007
^^^ was that a mac plug? Touche!
Mezzy 3:03 AM - 23 December, 2007
Quote:
Journaling

I have NEVER lost a single file due to a power failure or a dumbass disconnecting or unplugging my external while SSL was on. No corrupt files either.

Thanks man..I'll peep this out..So it does'nt make your Mac work harder or take up more space or memory doing this while rockin SSL?
sixxx 3:12 AM - 23 December, 2007
Not at all.
Mezzy 6:38 AM - 23 December, 2007
Quote:
Journaling

Hey Sixxx,so i checked two options. I turned on disk utility for both my internal and external..The journaling option is greyed out,i can't figure out what to do to enable it..Also do i wanna activate journaling for both my internal and external..First i gotta get there and be able to of coarse..hmmm
LightsOut06 5:16 AM - 24 December, 2007
ive been using ext hard drives for the past 6-7 years and i think i've properly ejected like twice. I never had an issue with this. But i dont use gayTunes either.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:46 AM - 24 December, 2007
On Macs, it usually messes up the volume headers (tells the OS where to find stuff - see Journaling by sixxx above ) but chances are your Data will be probably be safe and still there but the OS can't access it.

Worst case, you get major corruption (Keys out Of Order, etc) and have to reformat the drive and restore for Backup.

Run a disk utility (disk first aid, disc warrior) and make sure everything is good if that happens.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:57 AM - 24 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Journaling

Thanks man..I'll peep this out..So it does'nt make your Mac work harder or take up more space or memory doing this while rockin SSL?

Quote:
Not at all.

Be careful sixxx sometimes if something is wrong, Journaling writes a text file of what is wrong to a text file in console. On my iBook, something was wrong it it kept writing the errors to console in the background and one day I got a message that my drive was almost full. I had like a 8 GB text file, where it rewrote this error over and over and over again to console (i was testing some buggy new software for a review I had to write, didn't catch it for about a month).

That is EXTREME, but for the most part Journaling is a good thing, well worth using. It allows you to send Crash Reports to the software companies if something goes wrong.

Just remember to go to Console and clear the Log every once in a while.
prizo 5:44 AM - 13 January, 2008
yeh my drives have enable journaling unaccesable as well. How to u access this?
deepdjdanny 5:58 AM - 13 January, 2008
Oh... Journalling means just what it says... how quaint.
DJMark 6:36 AM - 13 January, 2008
FAT32 is much more "dangerous" for stuff like unexpected hard drive disconnections than either NTFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

This is one of several reasons why I've mentioned several times in the past that I think using FAT32 formatting on an external hard drive (usually done either just because many external drives come out of the box formatted that way, or because people want to use the drive on both Mac and PC) is a bad idea.
deepdjdanny 7:21 AM - 13 January, 2008
yes, boring.
djwillnyc 4:00 PM - 7 April, 2012
sometimes I will have my hard drive randomly eject itself and post an error message that my disk has been ejected imporoperly and ever since then my serato has been crashing, if it holds true that when you improperly eject, how do you find that corrupt file?