Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Twitter quartz overlay for Mix Emergency

L2daGee 8:50 AM - 1 April, 2012
This is awesome. Used it the last two nights, and the crowd really enjoyed it. As did the owners of the venues I spin at. Just another reason why ME is the truth!

www.inklen.com
DJ'Que 5:14 AM - 2 April, 2012
I dont need no one to put comments on a screen. Dont need no bs twitter message on the tv like.

You sux
Lick my balls
Bitches aint shit
This club wack
The dj suck
Etc.

These twitter post will just turn in to a request tweet.

Play this play that.
L2daGee 5:42 AM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
I dont need no one to put comments on a screen. Dont need no bs twitter message on the tv like.

You sux
Lick my balls
Bitches aint shit
This club wack
The dj suck
Etc.

These twitter post will just turn in to a request tweet.

Play this play that.

You may not need to use this, but at the clubs I play at, they always want me to direct people to their Twitter and Facebook pages. I just used this for the past two days, and the club owners love it so much, that they bumped up my pay.

I have had a few request tweets, but it's mostly just people complimenting the DJs or the club itself. That sucks that where you play there are so many haters that you would have to worry about negative tweets. So far, for me, it's been a great success, and it keeps people from bugging me in the booth. Now they can just tweet whatever it is they want to request or comment about.

In fact, I do a 80s and 90s request night at one of my gigs, and this allows for another way for people to tell me their requests. So the Twitter posts turning into request tweets is exactly what I want.

If you don't like it, then don't use it. But one can't deny that it is a nice feature to have in your arsenal, if you want to use it.
L2daGee 5:48 AM - 2 April, 2012
^Also, if you do have a problem w/ what someone has tweeted. Most Twitter users know that a simple right click brings up the option to block the tweet. Boom.
djnak 6:12 AM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:

You sux
Lick my balls
Bitches aint shit
This club wack
The dj suck
Etc.

If thats happening, the dj probably is reading the crowd wrong....

Quote:

You may not need to use this, but at the clubs I play at, they always want me to direct people to their Twitter and Facebook pages. I just used this for the past two days, and the club owners love it so much, that they bumped up my pay.

Congrats on the raise!! Its always nice to be rewarded for trying to go that bit further
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:49 PM - 2 April, 2012
I used it this weekend and it turned out great!
phatbob 3:11 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quartz Composer continues to blow my mind on a regular basis.

I think it's going to be one of the key components in the future of the Video DJ artform.
Dj Nyce 3:14 PM - 2 April, 2012
+1 on the qtz overlay. qc is so powerful. this is a perfect example of a real-world usage scenario when it comes to DJ'ing.

i popped this up the other night at the club and the manager and owner came up to me and wanted to know how the hell i did that. i didn't get paid extra (would've been nice), but they loved it and it's just another thing that separates me from other people.

big ups to vj xplicitfor the original concept
twitter.com
Joshua Carl 7:36 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
You sux
Lick my balls
Bitches aint shit
This club wack
The dj suck
Etc.

If these are your primary concern when running an interactive txt program...
maybe its time to start worrying about more important things in your skill set.
simular technology has existed for some time (yes, you can do this via another computer with Serato video.... you just need a capture card on the 2nd computer....I wouldnt reccomend it on the same computer as SSL is running)
I ran fire text in plenty of rooms, wide open, no filter....people love it....
its a cool way to bring the crowd in closer for a pretty sweet vibe.
Dj_Nix 11:42 PM - 3 April, 2012
man I've been searching for moooonths for this... i even pm'd some people here. OUTFRIGGIN STADING!!! attempting customize now...
DJ Q-PiD 3:28 AM - 22 August, 2014
okay so, for the past 5 hours I've been trying to get this thing to work. Does it not work anymore?
bboysupafly 5:05 AM - 22 August, 2014
Nope. Twitter changed their methods so you will need to use their developer tools to get it to work.
L2daGee 5:11 AM - 22 August, 2014
Twitter changed their API. I'm not completely up-to-date on how most people have this working at the moment, something about hosting some sort of Twitter authorization code on your own website or a hosting site.
Code:E 7:28 AM - 22 August, 2014
If anyone feels like sharing in more detail on how and what you need to do to a website to make this work that would be awesome.
Dj Nyce 5:23 PM - 22 August, 2014
the twitter api used to return rss (xml) and it used to use basic auth. now it returns json and requires oauthorization. the qtz is expecting rss and authorization requires a secret and key. because of this the json needs to be converted to rss and the calling app (qtz) needs to be authenticated. this can only be done by hosting code to authenticate to twitter and convert json to rss.

you don't want someone else hosting the code to retrieve your statuses like it's been done before. because with your secret and key, they would have access to your account. so you need to host the code on your own server.

there are few twitter json to rss code snippets. the good ones are written in php.

here's a really good one with step by step instructions.
chrissimpkins.github.io

once you install, you would point the qtz to http://[yourdomain]/tweetledee/userrss.php or one of the other tweetledee queries.
ta2423 12:56 PM - 26 August, 2014
After a year I have never had a bad comment or picture posted up on the twitter feed. I actually use it more for song requests. Now I do not get bothered with people coming up to my gear with a drink in their hand requesting a song. 80% of the time its a track that will be played at some point and it gives everyone the feel that they can request what they want wether I play it or not. Flawless victory in my book.
popnwave 4:12 AM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
After a year I have never had a bad comment or picture posted up on the twitter feed. I actually use it more for song requests. Now I do not get bothered with people coming up to my gear with a drink in their hand requesting a song. 80% of the time its a track that will be played at some point and it gives everyone the feel that they can request what they want wether I play it or not. Flawless victory in my book.

I never had a problem with my feed either.. occasionally someone would call someone #ratchet but I usually laughed. And the song requests were flowing quite well, I think it kept some people from making super stupid ones.