DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

pdx 3000 or sl 1200 mk2

Wizzzard 11:35 PM - 1 December, 2007
Sorry,this topic was discussed million times but everybody talks about 2300 vestax,whats about pdx 3000?What turtable do you recommend for home?Mixing hip-hop and scratching.
smoothe 1:22 AM - 2 December, 2007
1200's. MK2's.
wakka 9:11 PM - 2 December, 2007
PDX-3000s if you really will be staying home. The PDX models will always, always skip far less than Technics and with less weight and wear on your records. But I'd get the 2000s or 2300s since MIDI is more for turntablist musicians than a DJ who mixes hip-hop.

Technics if you're playing out or strictly mixing.
Wizzzard 9:50 PM - 2 December, 2007
Thanks wakka!turtables for home only!
More opinions please!
poloi3eai2 5:30 AM - 3 December, 2007
Get Technics they're hands down the best. BUT if you dont go for Technics then definetly get Vestax PDX 2000's. They have been the only turntable to come close to Technics.
Wizzzard 6:16 AM - 3 December, 2007
but pdx 3000 are same at all as pdx 2000 only upgraded motor and design?do you know turtables of other brand that olso get close to technics?i heard something about koolsound.is it true?
EDM 10:43 AM - 3 December, 2007
Quote:
Get Technics they're hands down the best. BUT if you dont go for Technics then definetly get Vestax PDX 2000's. They have been the only turntable to come close to Technics.

I made the choice to go with PDX2000's when the first came out (my first pro decks and hadn't used technics expect in the shop) the min i got a few gigs and didn't use my own TT's i relised i made a big mistake not long after that i got me a set of MK5's! That and selling FS have been the best 2 descisions of my dj career
wakka 4:26 PM - 3 December, 2007
Quote:
but pdx 3000 are same at all as pdx 2000 only upgraded motor and design?do you know turtables of other brand that olso get close to technics?i heard something about koolsound.is it true?

The closest in terms of build quality is probably the Stanton 150 series.

In order of quality/durabilty:
1. Technics
2. Stanton 150s
3. Vestax PDXs

In order of skiplessness/features
1. Vestax PDX-3000
2. Stanton STR8-150s
3. Technics

If you're considering the 3000s though, you have to seriously ask yourself if you're going to use MIDI. That's the key difference between the 3000 and other decks.
poloi3eai2 4:44 PM - 3 December, 2007
Stanton? Are you serious? I haven't tried them though but I dont really trust anything from Stanton. I wouldn't put Technics and Stanton nowhere near each other. Stanton does have some good ideas but their products never stand the test of time. Technics have been around for over 20 years with a few minor changes here and there but pretty much the same.
wakka 4:52 PM - 3 December, 2007
Usually no, but I found their higher-end models pretty solid.. namely the 150 series. But there's some basic flaws in these decks, the torque isn't adjustable so you're going to have a hard time pitch bending your mix. They should have scrapped master tempo (which sounds bad anyway) and startup adjust (keep it at instant startup, slow startups are pointless) and replaced those with up/down pitchbend buttons.
Wizzzard 6:24 PM - 3 December, 2007
The reason why i want to buy vestax is the price 1226 $ pair of absolutly new even unpacked pdx 3000,whearas pair of new technics mk2 1717 $.What would you buy?
Diñolito 9:32 PM - 3 December, 2007
uhm, you could take a look at the pdx-3000 mix model. Especially created for the 1200 adepts. S-arm (should be same length as sl) and adjustable torque. From 1,5kg (like sl) to standard pdx torque. pdx meets sl. On the other hand, you lose the extreme stability from the straight arm.
StevenWayne 9:36 PM - 3 December, 2007
1200's if you wanna be a real dj, other turntables if you wanna be considered a newbie =)
Rebelguy 9:47 PM - 3 December, 2007
Quote:
1200's if you wanna be a real dj, other turntables if you wanna be considered a newbie =)

Wow I was wondering where Mixmaster Mike and Q-bert fit in the DJ equation since they both rock Vestax turntables. Now I know.
Wizzzard 9:55 PM - 3 December, 2007
pdx 3000 model goes with straight tonearm.
StevenWayne so many djs advertising vestax only because of money?i can`t manage the difrences between pdx 3000 and mk2.are they so different at all?i have never seriosly played on turtables so i am a newbie =) everybody recommends technics because this is a standard.standard=always best?mk2 good turntables?in russia it is hard to get for example mk3 or mk5,so mk2 they are not too old?
Wizzzard 9:56 PM - 3 December, 2007
sorry for my english =)
bourbonstmc 10:05 PM - 3 December, 2007
Quote:
Technics have been around for over 20 years with a few minor changes here and there but pretty much the same.

Hell, I used 1200's in the early 80's myself. They were introduced in 1972...

en.wikipedia.org
StevenWayne 10:14 PM - 3 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Wow I was wondering where Mixmaster Mike and Q-bert fit in the DJ equation since they both rock Vestax turntables. Now I know.

so when michael jordan wears Nike shoes, does that mean Nike is the best shoe out there since mj is the alltime best???
its called corporate america =)
young shiz 11:05 PM - 3 December, 2007
i would go with 1200's. if something happens, its extremely easy to find parts and or repair shops. If a shop fixes turntables, they definitely do techs (can't say the same for Vestax)
marcus70 11:02 AM - 27 November, 2009
Hello,

I used booth PDX & Tech....I have a pair of 1210 MK5

I think there are'nt difference between Pdx 3000 and Tech 1210 MK5 ..
Maybe is true that in a "extreme use" or on the "paper" the features of PDX are better..but Technics in my opinion are better because:

1) technics are everywhere in the world
2) If you have a skill there is not difference between this two turntables..really!!
3) More reliability
4) Technics are enought for "normal scratch..superscratch as well" ...no need more motor feature
5) technics have better solid design

Bye...
DJ.SOLO 9:16 AM - 22 February, 2013
I've owned Every Technics Decks 1200's, 1210's, MK3's and MK5's.

I have also owned Vestax PDX-2000's.

Each of these sets were used to gig at clubs all over L.A.

Technics is the only turntable that has their patented analog pitch control; Therefore, most all the others are digitally controlled. The Analog Pitch control on the 1200's does require adjustment from time to time. If you cant DIY then this is an expense you should consider.

Now, I need to address this "reliability" concern/issue. I used my Vestax-PDX's every weekend 5 hours a night for two years. One night I had an entire Drink accidentally spilled on one of my PDX-2000's while I had the club bouncing 200 people packed on the dance floor club at 400 person capacity. As fast as I could I cut over to my other deck, unplugged my wet turntable and flipped the it upside down to drain the liquid from the housing. Keep in mind this is Vinyl I have about 4 minutes to, drain, clean, dry and mix back to this wet turntable.

With help from my super waitress we got the deck dry after I shook out the last of the Vodka and put the deck back in the coffin. I plugged it in and had a moment of concern as i was about to hit the power I thought..."If this doesn't work...Im screwed" It powered right up, "will it work?!! " Perfect!! Three months later, while I was renting gear to the club, this deck would get thrown across the room in a fight. The tone arm broke...3$ crazy glue... it worked for another year like this till I sold it to a pawn shop. 3-4 years of solid hard Scratching and Mixing never one problem. I got new Black MK5's to replace the PDX the Blue on Black was too tempting and cool looking...I couldn't resist.

My big problem going back to the MK5's...they are heavy in a touring coffin. If you carry your own gear the weight will matter.

I'm going to try the PDX-3000's next because of the weight difference; plus, I miss some of the performance features like: brake adjust, ultra pitch and reverse. I only need one deck using Serato; so, where my other deck was, I'm putting a performance sampler/sequencer.

The only negative I found with the PDX-2000 was with the needle up, hand on the record and the volume gained up loud... the platter has a flutter (quiet low frequency purring). Im curious if the 3000 will have this same non-issue.

Both are great. Its not the deck you use...its what you do with it. If Hendrix Played a broomstick with a string you would hear some of the best broomstick solos in history!
Niro 10:48 AM - 22 February, 2013
I've scratched on a few Vestax and my main issue was the platter wobble. The two screws holding down the platter wasn't a good idea. They should triangulate it like the technics. Not that it doesn't happen on 1200's, but far less and easy/cheap part to replace.