DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Speakers

k2board2003 6:33 PM - 8 February, 2012
Recently I dj'd my first house party and I got a few compliments on my music selection but was frustrated by the sound system they had. So I've decided to invest in speakers and a sub and was curious about what was good to get and not so much. I would like 2 15" speakers on stands and 1 sub. Also should I go with active, passive, power, etc? I would like to use these for house parties, weddings and corporate event ranging from 200-400 people. Price is an issue but I can rent speakers from my school until I save up to get them but just keep that in mind.
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:04 PM - 8 February, 2012
What would be your max budget. having sound for up to 400 people can get VERY pricy to do correctly. What are you willing to spend?
k2board2003 8:48 PM - 8 February, 2012
2-3 grand for right now. Still in school so less if I can.
Free Man 10:11 PM - 8 February, 2012
dj_soo 2:12 AM - 9 February, 2012
personally, I'd go with 12" + a sub first... save a bit of money and it's easier to transport.

15" speakers are way too much for a house party and if you have a sub, 12" is fine for up to 200-300 depending on the size of you sub.
DJ_Hitman 6:15 AM - 9 February, 2012
K12's and a sub
Free Man 1:40 PM - 9 February, 2012
Quote:
K12's and a sub

I think those are over rated. Dont get me wrong, there are things that I like about them, like the standby mode. But they never made me say wow compared to anything else in their price point.
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:21 PM - 9 February, 2012
I would go with a pair of RCF Art312s. Can be had for about 800 a pair. Great sounding speakers and go very loud. That leaves you with over a grand for a sub. Best bang for your buck for about $1100 is the Yorkville 801p. Very loud and boomy. Not the best sounding sub for the money but by far the loudest in terms of spl. You can easily play 200ppl with that setup for only a 2 grand. The sub is big and heavy so make sure you can move it around.
Blackdevil77 3:11 PM - 9 February, 2012
RCF 312's are a great option, QSC K12's, JBL PRX612's or PRX615m's with a JBL PRX618s-XLF is also another fantastic set up. I'd opt for the 615's, you can use those without a sub in many cases. The bass they provide is incredible for the size/cost/weight, and 2 PRX615m's with one 618s-XLF can be had for 3 grand or less.
Free Man 3:59 PM - 9 February, 2012
Saw this and thought it was useful

$630 - JBL PRX 612M = 34.5 lbs
$720 - Yamaha DSR112 = 47 lbs
$740 - Yorkville NX 55P = 41 lbs
$765 - RCF ART412-A = 31 lbs
$800 - QSC K12 = 41 lbs
$800 - Peavey Impulse 12D = 39lbs
$800 - Mackie HD1221 = 50 lbs
DJ Pullout 4:40 PM - 9 February, 2012
Mackie. All day everyday.
djdalite 7:12 PM - 9 February, 2012
EV elx115p I've got two and there sweet
k2board2003 12:57 AM - 10 February, 2012
Thanks for your input everybody. I think I'll end up going with the jbl prx 612m or the EV elx115p. I was talking with the manager at the club I dj at and he said I could borrow one of The JBL srx 725s we have which would be a great sub substitute. We have 6 for 300 people and agree that it is just a little to much for the smaller capacity of the area....
HandsomeRobDJ 2:53 AM - 10 February, 2012
Quote:
Mackie. All day everyday.

+1
I already know this forum is like a fan-page for JBL-ow (pronounced J Blow) and Bose (pronounced blows) and I am THRILLED that somebody besides me has some good taste! I didn't decide I liked Mackie hanging out at GC like a groupie forming my own opinion. I learned it doing PRO SOUND for national acts and breaking my back setting stages and whatnot for a REAL production company. The company had like two or three million dollars in equipment of ALL kinds and we REALLY had to know the good stuff from the bad stuff. I rigged shows for DJ Skribble and Aphrodite on Mackie myself. It's solid and absolutely the most bang for the buck. Not that everything else is junk but I've run a ton of gear toe to toe and it's solid. And for a solid product the price is definitely right. I've been on the same pair of SRM 450 v2's for like two years and I've run them HARD without any problem ever.
Free Man 3:03 AM - 10 February, 2012
-1 on mackie... i wont touch another pair. A company that denies that their speakers had/have issues loses me as a customer for life. I owned 10 pairs and all of them had issues, take them in and they say everything is fine. talked to plenty of others who said they had the same problems... From what i can tell, Mackie is fading away.
djdalite 5:47 PM - 11 February, 2012
-2 Mackies back in the day were dope, a little bit tiny on the highs but pretty sick powered speakers, now really I'd probably only use one for a monitor or a backup to a monitor. They always seem to clip in the heat and always seem to run hot.
Joee 5:50 PM - 11 February, 2012
-3, mackie is not the same speaker it once was, years ago they were made buy rcf
DJBRIANM 7:14 PM - 11 February, 2012
I would check out the QSC K's for tops and maybe the QSC KW subs or Yorkville Subs

You could get 2 x K12's and a Yorkville LS801 sub for under $3,000

Personally I suggest you purchase 4 of the best top cabinets you can afford. Make a little cash and buy some decent subs down the road. You will eventually want a monitor speaker and/or some bride will want sound in another room for cocktails. You will thank me later.
Djd'alex 5:31 AM - 12 February, 2012
well i personally have a pair of ev els 115p they sound great amazing very nice i also have a jul 315 i don't like it i sold it and my uncle use a pair of k12 they sound good but for me not as the ev 115p but i need help now i need a good sub for those speaker please only one i played most in party from 50 people to 250 the max so for now i only need one sub to play sometimes what you guys recommend me note i purchased the ev 118p and i was not happy why simple it doesn't pouch to much bass especially with this speaker so i returnrf but the main resin for return this sub was it was liking a lot i almost didn't uses the bass because it link a lot so i think ev in the sub this time out don't like it sub i need a good sub what you guys recommend me qsc and jul elf i loved it but expensive i looking for sometime max 850 i don't know about jackie 1801 sub also portably mobility is important and the link for sure very important i need a sub that weight adequate maybe max 82 pound and great in bass what you guys recommend me thanks
Djd'alex 5:33 AM - 12 February, 2012
sorry about the grammar my keyboard i need to replace it lol
Djd'alex 5:36 AM - 12 February, 2012
well i personally have a pair of ev elx 115p they sound great amazing very nice i also have a jub 315 but i know the eon are to to much powerful don't like and it i sold it and my uncle use a pair of k12 they sound good but for me not as good as the ev 115p ...but i need help now i need a good subwoofer for those speaker ev 115p please only one i played most in party from 50 people to 250 the max so for now i only need one sub to play sometimes what you guys recommend me, note i purchased the ev 118p and i was not happy why simple it doesn't pouch to much bass especially with this speaker so i returnrf but the main resin for return this sub was it was liking a lot i almost didn't uses the bass because it link a lot so i think ev in the sub this time out don't like it sub i need a good sub what you guys recommend me qsc and jul xlf i loved it .but expensive I'm looking for sometime max 850 i don't know about mackie 1801 sub also portably mobility is important and the link limit that doesn't flash to easy for sure very important too so please i need a sub that weight adequate maybe max 82 pound and great in bass what you guys recommend me thanks i will appreciated
Blackdevil77 7:09 AM - 12 February, 2012
You can snag a used/demo PRX618s-XLF for that price I'm sure. Just make sure it has a warranty, test it out and you should be good. I'm pretty sure nothing you can buy for 850 brand new could compare to the XLF sub, unless it's a passive sub maybe.
Djd'alex 7:26 AM - 12 February, 2012
Thanks that's what I thinking to get or the qsc 181 sometimes is better to have something that at the end u will not have any problem
k2board2003 10:19 AM - 12 February, 2012
I just Dj'd a gig for a school even and rented a pair of yamaha s115v with a 500 watt amp and really liked the way they sounded with the amp. I am pretty sure all the speaker suggested here are active and was just curious if there were any draw backs other than convenience to getting a cheaper pair of passive speakers just until I save up and get a powered set?
Blackdevil77 4:22 PM - 12 February, 2012
You shouldn't have a problem with either of them. You can't go wrong either way, they are both fantastic, but I'd give the edge to the XLF based on comparing them, owning two of the XLF's, and being an owner of the older HPR181i's.

One isn't really better then the other, there just different designs. Active speakers are more simple, considering you don't have to match up an amp with a speaker (although i don't think that's a big deal). If an amp in a active speaker goes out, you still have another amp and another speaker going. If you have 2 passive speakers with an amp, and the amp goes, you have no sound at all unless you have another backup amp.

It's just really a matter of what you need/want. There are plenty of passive speakers and active speakers that are all great. The future tends to be leaning towards active for mobile DJ's due to their simplicity, but it's really a matter of what you like. Both will work. Some of the larger scale systems and higher end system will be all passive .
k2board2003 6:13 PM - 12 February, 2012
Thanks. I was just looking at what is out there for passive speakers and I could get a decent setup for my needs for the same price as 1 k12. I will eventually go to something more high end but drunk college students won't know the difference.
Free Man 2:19 PM - 13 February, 2012
Does anyone know of any new speakers coming out? With NAMM just last month I'm curious if there were any announcements.
DJ GaFFle 2:28 PM - 13 February, 2012
Quote:
Does anyone know of any new speakers coming out? With NAMM just last month I'm curious if there were any announcements.

JBL's PRX400 (passive) speakers as well as their new line of arrays (VTX, I think). Behringer has some new arrays as wells.
DJ GaFFle 2:28 PM - 13 February, 2012
wells = well.
Blackdevil77 2:33 PM - 13 February, 2012
I don't think the performance of the new PRX400 will match the performance of the PRX600's. Especially the sub. On paper, the 600 have far better specs. Higher SPL, greater frequency response and since the 600's come with 1000 watt amps, I'm assuming better power handling since the PRX400 top cabs have a program power rating of less then that. I forgot the exact number.
Djd'alex 2:36 PM - 13 February, 2012
With the ev 115p vs jbl prx 615p wich one you go I have 2 ev and and xlf sub I decide ev beacouse the sound for me was amazing also the prx but I got the ev for 488 each vs prx 658 so what you choice please thanks
Free Man 3:04 PM - 13 February, 2012
i'm having a hard time following some models... what is the diff between the PRX 615p and the 615m?

Gaffle, looks like the 400 series falls between SRX and MRX... any thoughts?

Also, price point... why would someone want to get something from the 400 series? Seems like it would make more $$$ sense to get the 600 series because there would not be a need to get an amp. Seems like 2 x400 series speakers and an amp would jump the price quite a bit over 2 of the 600 series speakers.
Djd'alex 3:50 PM - 13 February, 2012
People stay on the clue
Djd'alex 3:50 PM - 13 February, 2012
Ev elx 115 p or jbl prx 615 choose and why
Free Man 4:06 PM - 13 February, 2012
PRX easy choice. Sound is better, more clear.. or save around $400 and get the EV
Djd'alex 4:09 PM - 13 February, 2012
So u have the prx I hear both I dont see enay difference to be honest
lvmez 4:11 PM - 13 February, 2012
the prx 15" will have more bass without using a bass bottom.
Djd'alex 4:19 PM - 13 February, 2012
But I have the sub xlf for few occasion
DJ GaFFle 4:20 PM - 13 February, 2012
Quote:
So u have the prx I hear both I dont see enay difference to be honest

This is pretty close. I've heard both. I've A/B'd the PRX615 and the QSC KW115. THe KW sounded clearer at lower to medium volume levels but at LOUDEST volumes (just before clipping), the PRX's sounded much better. THe KW's limiters were squashing and sort of breaking up the music (not good).

When comparing the PRX615's to the EV ELX115P's, I thought the similarities were very close. I don't recall doing extensive listening. I think the EV's seemed to have a little more bass. It was close. I'd probably lean more towards the JBL PRX15's... as long as they don't have any thermal issues like the PRX635's have had. If it comes down to value, then the nod goes to the EV's. That $400 savings per pair is a lot.
Djd'alex 4:27 PM - 13 February, 2012
Yes I know the ev speaker for the price offer more than the prx 615 I think that jbl in the xlf wow worth the money but in the speaker no that much between ev and jbl I think I go with ev speaker with one jbl xlf sub
Free Man 6:36 PM - 13 February, 2012
I think when you play a speaker loud is where it will really shine... When i buy a speaker, i want it to sound great when it is loud. Nice and warm. if it sounds flat or not as clear. than it just pisses me off.
Djd'alex 6:49 PM - 13 February, 2012
The ev for me sounds good very loud as the jbl
Free Man 6:58 PM - 13 February, 2012
JBL says, "The PRX600 Series represent an evolutionary step in the efficient use of amplifier power, rugged durability and enhanced versatility in a self-powered loudspeaker. Designed from the ground up to perform in the real world of sound reinforcement where challenging audio environments, high ambient noise levels and loud volumes are the norm, the PRX600 Series are built to last a lifetime using our reliable and trustworthy, tour-tested technology. Knowing you can rely on your system to deliver everything you need gives you the freedom to deliver your best. That’s performance you can trust."

EV Says "Clear, powerful, and musical, the Live X series was born to command the stage for professional music performance. Available in both powered and passive versions, Live X loudspeakers offer top-quality components in remarkably affordable configurations that put the EV-quality experience within reach for artists, engineers, and live-sound businesses. Designed for a wide range of portable sound applications, Live X loudspeakers are housed in hardy stackable enclosures of solid wood, making them lighter than comparable-quality composite or plastic boxes and therefore easier to load, transport, and set up. With high output, extended frequency range, and high sensitivity, Live X loudspeakers are clean, flat, and hot, making music of all kinds sound its best. The Live X series is serious gear for serious sound."

I kind of like the part where JBL says "built to last a lifetime"
DJ GaFFle 8:34 PM - 13 February, 2012
^^^ Marketing fodder.
Djd'alex 8:38 PM - 13 February, 2012
Well I have jbl 315 and those speaker sucks I blow one without the link limit it es fine and then no sounds
Djd'alex 4:56 AM - 14 February, 2012
people be frank not that jbl or othe ev and for that you just talk this is my situation i have the ev speaker to be honest paid a fair price for those 115p i paid 200 less than the retail price for each one but now i buy the jbl sub xlf is amazing the sound especially the price also that i paid for the sub so i have 2 ev 115 p and one jbl 618s x l f ,now should i return the ev for a pair of prx 615 and the difference is like 400 dollars more or stay with ev tops that for me sounds amazing those speaker reply thanks
Djd'alex 4:59 AM - 14 February, 2012
sorry for the grammar i said the ev sound amazing for my ear i listen also to the jbl and amazing too both outstanding but the jbl is more expensive people i read a lot of review of the ev tops liv x series and they are very very good in the sub category the elf and qsc are top in quality and weight the ev for me on the sub is not good but in the tops high are amazing so i don't know if is intelligent to echange for the pro and pay the 400 dollars difference or stay like that 2 ev 115p and one jbl xlf
Joee 1:02 PM - 14 February, 2012
if your happy why change!
djdalite 12:16 AM - 16 February, 2012
Dood where are you from your grammars like trying to read Braille
Djd'alex 12:24 AM - 16 February, 2012
Hi people who can tell me what best monitor speaker brand you can buy today and music produce software like logic 9 For Mac
dj_soo 3:11 AM - 16 February, 2012
if money is not an issue then go for a set of genelecs with a sub.

www.genelec.com

or maybe a set of Unity's - www.unityaudioproducts.co.uk
k2board2003 1:26 AM - 20 March, 2012
I think I'll just go with this www.behringer.com
pdidy 3:36 AM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:

Lmao....somebody please help this man.
ancientyouth 2:24 PM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Lmao....somebody please help this man.

+1 LOL
Blackdevil77 2:29 AM - 21 March, 2012
ROFLMAO! That is hilarious
DouggyFresh 4:22 AM - 21 March, 2012
I like the EV LiveX 15" powered speaker. I did a outdoor patio at a restaurant and one was more than loud enough for what we were doing. In fact we used one as booth monitor and just for fun in the bar we were DJing at put it on a stand and cranked it up - it overpowered the whole sound system there in volume across the bar (Yorkville 8's and 10's plus some American Audio amps (ugh)).

As a dj group we are expanding to do more mobile and plan to stay with powered speakers, probably get 2 EV 115p tops as well as a decent sub (the Yorkville mentioned earlier I've personally listened to and thought it was great for mobile work as well as seeing it used in bars around here).
Free Man 12:49 PM - 21 March, 2012
Really? the few times that i have heard the live x's i thought they were lacking and didnt provide full range sound (ignoring bass response a sub would provide)
The last time I remember the vocals came through nice and clear, but the instruments were washed out and light.
HYDRO MATIC 1:12 PM - 21 March, 2012
Are you guys using your OWN reference tone tracks or just whatever, whoever and however they have it hooked up?
Free Man 8:15 PM - 21 March, 2012
I used my own, and unplugged the XLR and went to a PRX, same size, and Yamaha, same size. checked out the settings to see how it all compared too
DJ LDN 8:27 PM - 21 March, 2012
Buy second hand. You'll get a much better deal for your money.

forum.speakerplans.com
Free Man 2:23 PM - 22 March, 2012
I have some EON G2's that are in great condition... trying to decide if i should keep them as back ups or sell them and apply the $$$ to some new speakers.

If I sell them, what would be a good asking price?