DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What gauge extension cord?

gzentertainment 11:12 AM - 6 November, 2007
I had a tough time finding black extension cords locally and I finally found some, but they're 16 gauge. Is this good enough to use to extend my speaker power cables? I'm running 2-JBL EON's. Thanks!
Julls 11:33 AM - 6 November, 2007
I would use 12 guage, but if you "had" to use 16 I guess you could.
gzentertainment 1:06 PM - 6 November, 2007
Any links to resources online that I could read on why/why not? 12 gauge is an extremely thick cable, and it doesn't make sense to me since even the power cords provided with the speakers aren't that thick.

Thanks for the help Julls!
sopranosupasta 2:06 PM - 6 November, 2007
rule of thumb in power is to go up a wire gauge every 25 ft, for 120 volt standard grounded outlets.

25 ft ext - 16 gauge
50 ft ext - 14 gauge
75 ft ext - 12 gauge
100 ft ext - 10 gauge

this is just for running amps and high amperage draws..... i wouldnt say you had to go this nuts with a lamp.
gzentertainment 4:16 PM - 6 November, 2007
So I should be good then, right? Because I bought 16-gauge, 25-foot extension cords. Again, these are being used to extend the power cords for my JBL EON's. Thanks again!
dj shadow from detroit 6:38 PM - 6 November, 2007
get a back up power supply!
so if something happens it dont blow your stuff homie!!
you can get one for $50-60 bucks @ staples or any computer store.
if the power goes out no shorts in your computer,hard drive.because the battery picks up after the power goes out!

trust i been using one for 3 yrs. and it has saved me.
gzentertainment 7:50 PM - 6 November, 2007
I'm just extending the speakers, nothing else.
sopranosupasta 7:51 PM - 6 November, 2007
^ your good bro. 16 gauge 25 ft. your fine.
dj shadow from detroit 8:24 PM - 6 November, 2007
my bad homie
gzentertainment 7:11 AM - 7 November, 2007
Thanks to all, fellas!
2FAST4U 8:17 AM - 8 November, 2007
ugly's pocketbook manual.
sizes used in USA inside wall
For a 20 amp circuit, use 12 gauge wire. For a 15 amp circuit, you can use 14 gauge wire (in most locales). For a long run, though, you should use the next larger size wire, to avoid voltage drops.

Here's a quick table for normal situations. Go up a size for more than 100 foot runs, when the cable is in conduit, or ganged with other wires in a place where they can't dissipate heat easily:

Gauge Amps
14 15
12 20
10 30
8 40
6 65

finewww.powerstream.com
sopranosupasta 1:49 PM - 8 November, 2007
Quote:
ugly's pocketbook manual.
sizes used in USA inside wall
For a 20 amp circuit, use 12 gauge wire. For a 15 amp circuit, you can use 14 gauge wire (in most locales). For a long run, though, you should use the next larger size wire, to avoid voltage drops.

Here's a quick table for normal situations. Go up a size for more than 100 foot runs, when the cable is in conduit, or ganged with other wires in a place where they can't dissipate heat easily:

Gauge Amps
14 15
12 20
10 30
8 40
6 65

finewww.powerstream.com

This is not correct for the application. this is spec for in wall wiring, there is no standard wall outlet that will handle a 65 amp draw......good info for wiring a house. but not for this application.......and yes. i have worked as an electrician.
gzentertainment 2:08 PM - 8 November, 2007
Quote:
i have worked as an electrician.

NOW THAT makes me feel better!
Dudley D 2:15 PM - 8 November, 2007
dude. your going to need a whole new system!

ha ha!
MusicMeister 6:47 PM - 9 November, 2007
There's a voltage drop calculator on this page based on wire size, current load, etc.

www.powerstream.com

Basically, you need to stay in the range of operating voltage for the equipment. If you already have a low voltage source then you'll need a lower guage cable (meaning BIGGER cable).

A 12AWG cable, 100 feet long, drawing 15 amps, made from Copper will give you roughly a 5 volt drop. However, let's put this in perspective. The JBL Eon G2, at maximum output is only 450 watts. Allowing for additional overhead of 25% is 562.5 watts. That's less than 5 amps on a 120 volt circuit. That calculates to less than a 2 volt drop over a 100 foot extension cord.

Even at 16AWG you're only looking at roughly a 4 volt drop. But wait a minute, what's the chance you'll actually be drawing 5 amps with those speakers? Almost nil. Chances are you'll be drawing less than half that 90%+ of the time. That means roughly a 2 volt drop over 100feet at 2.5 amps to those speakers when using a 16 AWG cable. In other words, negligible.

The 16AWG cables, 25 feet long, made from copper, drawing 15 amps only have a drop of just over 3 volts. Still negligible in modern applications. You'll blow the breaker before you over draw a cord that short.

I want to add this, I taught electronics for more than 2 years and have helped wire more than one house (always have the wiring verified by a licensed electrician!) and while the calculations and all the electrical code is great, you really need to use some common sense too. Using an extension cable that's a lower AWG isn't a bad thing (in other words, it's a bigger cable). And in those cases where you do draw more power then it's a good idea to have a cable that's too big rather than one that's just barely big enough or too small and you use it, trying to 'get by'.

For the 25 foot 16awg you're going to be just fine. Don't sweat it. Keep in mind this is for POWER only. If you want to talk speaker cable then we need to readdress this because wattage, speaker efficiency, loading, type of amps, and alot of other stuff can come into play with regards to that.
sopranosupasta 9:19 PM - 9 November, 2007
^^ very well put.......and thanks for backing me up.
djlayz 4:19 PM - 20 November, 2007
very helpful advice i just bought the eon 15's this week and have a gig saturday, on my way out to buy some 25 ft extension cords right now.

Thanks
Johnnynights 7:37 AM - 26 June, 2012
I know this is a old thread but im planning to buy some extension cords for my powered speakers.Im going to replace the short ones and im thinking of getting the 14 gauge cords is there any difference?
MusicMeister 1:52 PM - 26 June, 2012
Check out my post above... It explains it pretty clearly. :)

Will you notice any difference with a 14AWG vs. 16AWG vs. 12AWG? Not for short runs and not at the amount of current you're likely going to be pulling.
Johnnynights 1:25 AM - 27 June, 2012
Thanks i think im going to order some 25 ft 16 awg,was thinking 14 awg but i think ill be good with that.
Rodney murray 9:14 PM - 11 August, 2016
I have a pressure washer rated at 20 amps. Can I use a 12/3 extension cord, 100 feet?
JenniferT 5:45 AM - 19 September, 2018
It refers to the thickness of the wires, and therefore the current carrying capacity. Note that smaller numbers are thicker wires.