Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

I'm considering to buy a new pc for itch - having a dilema, please help..

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ Met 2:19 PM - 23 November, 2011
Hi,

I'm considering to buy the ASUS EP-121 12.1" Tablet / Slate PC - specificly fot ITCH / VCI-300 usage.

This PC has an Intel i-5 470UM cpu, 4GB of DDR3 and 64GB SSD (which will probably be replaced by a 128GB later on)

Over the time (years) I read some confusing warnings regarding the compatibilty of Intel's i3/5/7 with Itch 1.x and / or the VCI-300.

As the EP-121 is relatively expenssive - I decided to double-check with you that i'm not spending 1K$ on something that won't be 100% suitable for my need.

Do you have any known problems with the EP-121 tablet? does it specs are problematic in any way?

My planned concept was to enclose both controller and tablet inside a rugged "james-bond" case -which will allways be linked to an AC power source,
So, basically both the PC and VCI can get their power from their external DC adaptors.

I will also be very thanksfull to have your thoughts about the above concept.

Best Regards,

Tome Morag
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 10:01 PM - 24 November, 2011
Hey DJ Met,

Have you checked out our laptop buying guide? Click here for details>
serato.com

This covers most issues audio focussed people will encounter when buying a new laptop, and a 'known issues' section at the end there. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mathew
DJ Met 6:26 PM - 25 November, 2011
Hi Mathew,

Thanky you for your kind reply,

I have already read the mentioned guide, and most (if not all) other info regarding to my issue and available on the internet.

Like I said I got confuesed about the actual requirments, regarding to newer products.

the EP121 has an Intel i5 Type 470UM,
Its clock is 1.33Ghz, BUT, it has a Turbo mode feture that is 1.86Ghz.

--> The current written minimum cpu requirement is 1.6Ghz "Core Duo".
So, (in my understanding) As the "i" series is newer and probably functions better than the Core Duo cpu series, maybe 1.6 Ghz is not any relevant to the "i" cpu series?

I'm really interested in buying this Asus EP-121. it is said to be a relatvely strong tablet.
This is why I asked specifically about the compatabiliy of this model's specs (cpu..) to ITCH.

If possible, I will really appriciate your specific conclusion.

Best Regards,

Tomer Morag
DJ Met 3:27 PM - 27 November, 2011
?
DJ Met 2:24 AM - 28 November, 2011
Hi,

Unfortunately i'm closing this issue,

as i'm really in short of time i decided to go on a Lenovo (ewww...:) ) X220,
As it has An i7 2620 2.7Ghz "Sandy-Bridge" Edition.
Also has 8 Gigs of ram and a 320 Gigs HDD / inlike the 4, 64GB on the asus ep 121.

Thanks anyway,

Tomer Morag
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 3:01 AM - 28 November, 2011
Hi Tomer,

it was taking a bit longer to research your exact requirement, there's so many laptop's available thesedays (but that's why you asked, right? :-)) that it wasn't a quick and easy question to answer.

Those specs sound fine though.

Mathew