Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

CPU at 100% on i7 using 64 bit windows 7

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
spenda 6:37 PM - 29 October, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 2.0.1
Hardware: novation-twitch
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

I have loaded itch 2.0.1 on two seperate computers both with i7 chipsets running windows 7 64 bit. Both immediately bring all cores of the CPU to 100% and stay there. Loaded itch on a i5 running windows 7 64 bit and had no such problem. Problem persists regardless of whether twitch is plugged in or not and persists regardless of the size of the library being loaded.

No problem running Traktor with Twitch and a whole on other CPU draws running. I have tried every solution that I have seen anywhere and nothing works. I think you have problem. Will there be a update soon? I am willing to test any beta solutions you may have as well.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:17 PM - 31 October, 2011
Hey spenda,

This seems like a strange issue. Can you let me know if ITCH is using up 100% of the CPU in the task manager?

Could you also run a DPC trace report and upload the results to the thread? You can find information on how to do this here:

serato.com

Let me know how you get on.

Sam.
5:41 AM, 1 Nov 2011
spenda attached a file: system.txt
Download· Permalink
5:42 AM, 1 Nov 2011
spenda attached a file: HOME-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
spenda 5:45 AM - 1 November, 2011
Sam,

I have attached the two relevant files. Itch is using 100% of CPU on all cores of my desktop even before I load any song.
jambo_jam 5:30 PM - 1 November, 2011
This sounds very similar to the problem I've just posted too.. Except I'm using i3.

serato.com

Cheers,
Jamie
spenda 8:20 PM - 1 November, 2011
Jamie,

I have the same problem on two i7 running 64 bit window but Itch 2.01 runs wonderfully on another i5 computer running at 64 bit windows.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:35 PM - 1 November, 2011
Your DPC report looks fine so there shouldn't be any problems there. Can you please open Task Manager/Processes tab while ITCH is open and take a screenshot?
5:02 AM, 2 Nov 2011
spenda attached a file: docs.pdf
Download· Permalink
spenda 5:03 AM - 2 November, 2011
Here is what you want.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:23 PM - 2 November, 2011
No sorry can you just open Task Manager and switch to the "Processes" tab and then upload a screenshot of that.

Sam.
5:28 AM, 3 Nov 2011
spenda attached a file: Presentation1.pdf
Download· Permalink
5:29 AM, 3 Nov 2011
spenda attached a file: Presentation1.pdf
Download· Permalink
spenda 5:31 AM - 3 November, 2011
Here you go.
ARTUROMMK 10:59 PM - 3 November, 2011
I have the same problem with core i7 i post in this forum but nothing help.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:34 AM - 4 November, 2011
Can you please try this as a test:

- Close ITCH and all other programs
- In your My Music folder, rename the _Serato_ folder to _Serato_old
- Restart ITCH with the hardware disconnected

Does the CPU still shoot up to 100%?

Sam.
spenda 3:58 AM - 4 November, 2011
yup.
spenda 7:59 PM - 5 November, 2011
Okay. I uninstalled Itch and any remenant of the program. I also unistalled all notivation drivers all all novation programs on my computer. I reinstalled Itch without plugging in the Twitch or allowing any driver that could relate to the Twitch to be installed. I opened Itch and while the CPU went to 100% when I loaded a song it dropped to about 20%. I then closed Itch plugged in the Twitch and started Itch, CPU went to 100% again and stayed there. I again attempted a complete uninstall everything again to recreate Itch operating at a reasonable CPU usage and could not.

Do not know if this helps but it seem that there might not be an issue with a clean Itch with a i7 chipset running Windows 7, but once Twitch gets involved there are problems.

Hope you guys find a solution.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:16 PM - 7 November, 2011
Do you have any other audio software applications installed or utilities which could be at all interfering? I have seen a similar issue from another user where re-installing the OS solved it. I would say that this would be the last thing to try though as it isn't an easy thing to do.
spenda 5:37 AM - 8 November, 2011
I disabled every audio driver on my system and opened Itch and CPU shot to 100%. I plugged in my Twitch and it dropped immediately to 2% and stuck there. I then reinabled my PreSonus Firebox with no change. I left disabled my AMD High Definition Audio Device and everything works great. CPU maxes out now at about 10% and typically runs at about 2%. Did not attempt to reinable the High Definition Audio Device because I do not need it.
spenda 6:05 AM - 8 November, 2011
Never mind. Shut Itch down and restarted and CPU run back up to 100% and stayed there.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:30 PM - 8 November, 2011
Did this device become enabled again after restarting? Are you able to try disabling it again?

Sam.
spenda 12:38 AM - 9 November, 2011
I only restarted Itch so I do not see how any audio driver that I had disabled could have re-enabled itself, but I did not check. It was late last night when I tried this and will try again after work to see if I can isolate the the driver that is causing the problem. At least I know that the problem is not Windows 7 64 bit or my i7 chipset. The problem seems, however, to be with an audio driver my laptop shares with my desktop, so that should rule out my presonus drivers.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:22 AM - 9 November, 2011
Sorry, I thought you had mentioned you restarted your computer, I read that wrong :(

It definitely sounds like there is a driver conflict though, can you disable these audio drivers and then run another DPC report and upload it to the thread?

Sam.
spenda 4:53 AM - 9 November, 2011
So long as I launch Itch without Twitch plugged in I am fine. I launch Itch. CPU goes to 100%. I then plug in Twitch and once it is recognized, CPU drops to 2%. If I launch Itch with Twitch plugged in CPU goes to 100% and stays there. Very strange.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:20 PM - 9 November, 2011
This does seem strange. I'll take a shot at reproducing this and let you know if I can get any more information.

Sam.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:51 PM - 9 November, 2011
I can't seem to reproduce this here on my end. Can you run a DPC report in both scenarios and upload to the thread?

Sam.
spenda 5:56 AM - 10 November, 2011
Sam.
Continued to work as discussed above. No problem when I launch Itch first and then plug Twitch in. 100% CPU is if I launch Itch after Twitch plugged in. I have at a DPC file when the system is working, but could not even create a report when system not working.

My bet is that my system is fixed for now with this strange work around.

John
5:59 AM, 10 Nov 2011
spenda attached a file: working.txt
Download· Permalink
spenda 6:04 AM - 10 November, 2011
Here is the file. I could not even attach the file when Itch was using 100% of my CPU.
spenda 4:18 PM - 10 November, 2011
Tried twice this morning to get you a DPC report when CPU running at 100% and it crashed twice with a blank report. I think I have isolated this problem and hopefully if others have this problem you can give them this temp fix. If you pursue an update that you believe fixes this issue I am happy to try it first to see if it works. Otherwise thanks for the help and we can close this discussion.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:25 AM - 11 November, 2011
I'm glad you are up and running at least now. Unfortunately I still can't reproduce your issue here on a machine with similar specs. It looks like it must be something specific to your set up or a specific driver that is causing this. I'll try get some more information from the development team as to why this could happen though.

Cheers,

Sam.
spenda 3:40 PM - 11 November, 2011
I would agree that this is an isolated event if I did not have the same problem on my laptop. The issue then is whether there is a common program or driver causing a conflict. I read somewhere the MidiYoke caused someone difficulty and I have that loaded on both systems. Since I use Midiyoke frequently, I have not installed it, and with my work around I do not have to. Other than that, the audio drivers on the two systems are different.

Thanks for the help.
animal_chin 10:18 AM - 20 November, 2011
I had the same frustrating problem and after a lot of research it turned out to be Windows Explorer crashing when it thinks it's seeing corrupt .wav files. I tried the hotfix, it doesn't work. This registry edit does the job perfectly:

Create a .reg file with content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Property
System\PropertyHandlers\.wav]
@="{#e46787a1-4629-4423-a693-be1f003b2742}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVers
ion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.wav]
@="{#e46787a1-4629-4423-a693-be1f003b2742}"

Then double click the file to edit the registry .

Undo:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Property
System\PropertyHandlers\.wav]
@="{e46787a1-4629-4423-a693-be1f003b2742}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVers
ion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.wav]
@="{e46787a1-4629-4423-a693-be1f003b2742}"

quoted from: superuser.com
spenda 8:17 PM - 20 November, 2011
Thanks but the regedit fix did not work for me. Problem remains unless I launch itch first before plugging in Twitch.
psylion 1:44 PM - 29 December, 2011
Hi all,

Don't know for you, but I had midi Yoke installed... just uninstalled it and no more % CPU at start of Itch 2.0