Scratch Live Help

Need help with Serato Scratch Live? Ask here.

HOW "EXACTLY" DO YOU USE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
iPad mini
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djdavidv 1:00 AM - 21 September, 2007
I read in an article from SCRATCH (Sept/Oct 2005 #7) that Dj Jazzy Jeff uses external hard drives with his music & the Serato program installed in them. There is nothing in his internal hard drive. In case something goes wrong, he could just jump over to another computer & just use it for its processing power. Does anybody else do this? If so, could you kindly break it down?
Josh 1:06 AM - 21 September, 2007
Hi davidv,

Which part of that is unclear?
djdavidv 6:03 AM - 21 September, 2007
Well, basically all of it. I tried to install the serato program into "My Book" external hard drive but cannot. Something about there is no Mac OsX installed. Even after I have formatted the external hard drive (or at least I think I did).
Josh 7:42 AM - 21 September, 2007
Ahh,

you're slightly misled by the article.

Jeff doesn't have the Scratch LIVE application installed on the external drive, he has all his music on the external. How Scratch LIVE works with externals is it puts a library file on them, and when a drive is mounted, the software checks for a library and if it finds one it merges the library with the internal one.

So Jeff can plug his external into another computer (which must already have SSL installed) and be up and running straight away.
djdavidv 8:01 PM - 21 September, 2007
So how do I get the external hard drive, serato & Itunes to all communicate with each other. I have all ready put my Itunes music into the external hard drive. Someone also told me to remove all music from my internal hard drive (ITunes). So when I open the Serato, I cannot read the music off the external hard drive.
djdavidv 8:04 PM - 21 September, 2007
By the way, the external hard drive is a Western Digital My Book 320GB. I have been using the firewire port. Don't know if that makes a difference. Just letting you know. Thanks.
Konix 8:07 PM - 21 September, 2007
Have you changed iTunes library preference to point to your external drive? Do songs play fine in iTunes from the external?
Josh 9:55 PM - 21 September, 2007
just import your files into Scratch LIVE as you would normally, but browse to them on the external.

Once you have files in your library from the external SSL will create a library file on your external.
djdavidv 2:55 AM - 22 September, 2007
When I import music, ITunes automatically opens up & goes straight to my ITunes library. How do I browse them to the external on a Mac Powerbook G4?
Mr. Supreme 9:13 PM - 22 September, 2007
I have all these same exact questions and issues. I have had ssl for 8 mos. and my internale drive is completely full and I still have literally 1000's of songs I need access to. I bought a western digital 250gb external a few days back and can not figure out what to do. Also, I hear so many different stories from dj's about why NOT to use an external or why I should STRICTLY use an external! At any rate, once it is up and running and reading the external files will the be in order and bpm'd etc. as they are in the internal itunes? I heard they aren't but yet once again another dj said they will be! I really need to handle this because I dj litereally every single day and I have no space left at all on my ibook and it is running a bit weird and I'm worried it's gonna shut down.
Mr. Supreme 9:19 PM - 22 September, 2007
One more thing is does it matter if my western digital external is run with a usb as opposed to firewire?
djdavidv 4:50 PM - 23 September, 2007
Ok. I think I got this. First, as Konix said, I set my preference to point to the external hard drive. After selecting (in ITunes,) preference, go to the Advanced section. Then select the General tab. In that section that is where you set your ITunes to the external hard drive, click ok, then it should send all of your ITunes music straight to the external. When in serato, click import. Your hard drive should appear. Follow the prompts towards your Itunes music.

So far this has been working for me. But before trying all of this I of course backed up all my music.

I can see the external hard drive doing its thing. When the external hard drive is shut down, no music can be found. That is until I power up the external & import the music.

Next, I'm going to try to get one on those smaller USB powered external hard drive. I was told they work just as well but with out the power cord. You can take it & just plug it in to another person's computer w/Serato. Import it & play.
Mr. Supreme 7:46 PM - 23 September, 2007
Sounds ez enough! I backed up my music then erased everything out of my laptop simply to just use it for power. I then hooked up the hard drive and set the preference in serato set up for it to read and it did and that is how I played at the club last night. It worked fine but all of my organization was totally gone as well as playlists and it was not good. I would prefer the original way using itunes and the internal. I tried to reload the files into the internal and it won't work now. It takes an hour transferring the files and then when it's done itunes says missing file and they are no where to be found on the laptop. This has been a nightmare for me and a very big headache. I guess you learn from experience though and that's what I'm doing by trial and mostly ERROR! I'm an old school head and all this digital stuff is still new to me and somewhat confusing.
Mr. Supreme 8:42 PM - 23 September, 2007
I tried that out and it worked perfect! That's all that needed to be done in the first place. I went through a bunch of nonsense and erasing my playlists I spent the last 10 mos. on etc. It could have been real easy. Obviously the djs I asked didn't know too much either.
Josh 10:11 PM - 23 September, 2007
Nice one guys, let us know if you have any more questions about this.
djmoneyd425 6:11 PM - 16 October, 2007
you can also just load several different play lists onto an ipod and just plug that directly into the opening dj's computer and it will automatically show up in your file listing on the left hand side and run from that. serato is a beautiful thing.
Josh 3:14 AM - 17 October, 2007
cool

*closed*