Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio Dropouts/freeze

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7 + Numark NSFX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ SL1 6:20 AM - 30 August, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 2.0.1
Hardware: numark-ns7||numark-nsfx
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

audio dropouts and freezing

laptop info:
i7 740qm
nvidia 330m
8 gigs ram
640 gig hard drive 520gigs free space
6:20 AM, 30 Aug 2011
DJ SL1 attached a file: STEPHEN-PC-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 4:36 AM - 31 August, 2011
Hi DJ SL1,

From this trace report there seem to be a number of modules with high latency readings:

nvlddmkm.sys this is an nVIDIA Geforce Driver - Check that you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

USBPORT.SYS -USBPORT.SYS (USB port driver)

* Try connecting to a different USB port.
* Use a different USB cable.
* Go to your computer manufacturer's website and check if there you are using the most up-to-date drivers.
* Try using an external power supply for your hardware.

iaStor.sys -IASTOR.SYS looks like a driver used to control the SATA disks, usually for raid systems but still used in normal single disk setups as well.

* Maybe using any other storage device?

* Try to update this driver.

portcls.sys - This is the soundcrad. Try updating the soundcard drivers or disabling the soundcard.

dxgkrnl.sys - * Update the graphics card driver

ACPI.sys -ACPI.sys (Power management)

If you have USB dropouts and are having trouble finding a cause on a seemingly powerful machine, check if your computer is ACPI by opening the device manager:

1. Go to control panel
2. Click system
3. Click the hardware tab
4. Click device manager
5. Click the [+] next to Computer
6. If you see "ACPI uniprocessor PC" or similar, you have ACPI.

Quick method for disabling ACPI power management on some laptops

Try taking your battery out and just run off the power supply, this stops ACPI from trying to manage the battery on some model laptops.

You can disable ACPI if you think it might still be a problem:

HOWEVER IT CAN BE HARD TO REVERSE THIS, AND YOU MAY HAVE IRQ CONFLICT ERRORS, SO DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND CAN AFFORD SOME SYSTEM DOWN-TIME! AND MAKE A BACKUP!

BEFORE PROCEEDING Make a new system restore point by using the system restore wizard in help and support (start menu).

"If you right-click on the 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' description and select the Properties option, and then the Driver page on the window that appears, you can select 'Update Driver'. Choose the second 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)' option on the subsequent page, and then the 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install' option on the following page. This should come up with two options, namely ACPI PC and Standard PC."

I have listed the modules and possible tweaks and updates that you can check for your system.

Also have a read of this article on Troubleshooting USB Dropouts here: sera.to

Let me know if this helps or you have any further questions.
DJ SL1 2:10 PM - 31 August, 2011
I usually keep all my drivers up to date ill double check the usb drivers. As far as the additional storage is an external that i use rarely just to do a backup... as far as power supplies what other power supply could i use besides the one thats provided? the acpi thing sounds a little risky
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 11:47 PM - 31 August, 2011
Hi DJ SL1,

As I said this is a breakdown of what I could see in the Trace report. You don't need to do everything here as stated but a couple of the tweaks will definitely help peformance.
Yes, changing ACPI setting is something that could possibly be risky if you don't know what your doing.

Let me know how you get on. If your still having dropouts let me know and we'll try something else.

Anthony
DJ SL1 1:19 AM - 1 September, 2011
any other ideas besides acpi all ive seen was negative about that...and from reading other forums i agree with the others sayin that it seems a lil silly that i should even have to do that for it to work...i got another dropout today i was moving the pitch control then i changed my mind and decided to switch song and it did it and my cpu is so low that i even wonder why it freezes.
DJ SL1 6:06 PM - 2 September, 2011
i tried to take out the battery to make the acpi mode switch off and the ns7 froze once on the right side the platter worked but buttons did not.....the second time it all froze.... please some more help???
4:06 PM, 17 Sep 2011
DJ SL1 attached a file: ITCH.exe.4148.dmp
Download· Permalink
DJ SL1 4:06 PM - 17 September, 2011
another crash last night on exit
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 4:25 AM - 19 September, 2011
Hi DJ SL1,

I have downloaded the latest crash report and passed it on to the developers to have a look. Will keep you posted.

Thanks

Anthony
DJ SL1 4:36 AM - 19 September, 2011
Thanks
DJ SL1 6:30 PM - 26 September, 2011
its crashing everytime i exit now
dJ Jkey 10:57 PM - 26 September, 2011
same here after long session it will crash when u exit
DJ SL1 12:00 AM - 27 September, 2011
Yes sir sounds about right even when I'm not playing music all night I dj with 2 other djs and it happens.. I have the other dj on standby when i play and he had to save me the other night I had a four second dropout when hitting a hot cue
dJ Jkey 12:02 AM - 27 September, 2011
Are u on itch 2.0.1
only9balls 12:04 AM - 27 September, 2011
I also see this issue ever since I changed to 64bit version. I used to use an IBM Thinkpad T61 with 32bit Windows 7, and except for the occasional CPU max out, the software seemed to run very stable. Now I am using a Thinkpad T520 with i7 and 64 bit Windows, and the software crashes almost everytime I exit (but not always). It also seems to lose partial track information (part of the waveform dissapears), and only part of a song will load once in a while... not sure if tha tis related but sounds similar.
dJ Jkey 12:08 AM - 27 September, 2011
Might be bad mp3 I only have audio drop outs and freeze when I exit
DJ SL1 12:17 AM - 27 September, 2011
Same here none of that other stuff sometimes I think my crates lose songs but I might be a lil paranoid.... But I'm also running 64 bit
dJ Jkey 12:20 AM - 27 September, 2011
I use win 7 64bit I am running itch 2.0 just got itch 2.0.1 update so I will try that see if will work better
only9balls 12:26 AM - 27 September, 2011
Quote:
I also see this issue ever since I changed to 64bit version. I used to use an IBM Thinkpad T61 with 32bit Windows 7, and except for the occasional CPU max out, the software seemed to run very stable. Now I am using a Thinkpad T520 with i7 and 64 bit Windows, and the software crashes almost everytime I exit (but not always). It also seems to lose partial track information (part of the waveform dissapears), and only part of a song will load once in a while... not sure if tha tis related but sounds similar.

One (important) fact I did leave out here is that I ran 1.7 on the 32bit machine, but changed to 2.0 wne I got the new machine. The mp3's are ok, if I exit (crash) out of Itch and re-launch, I can load that same track and play with no issues, it is definately software related, just haven't narrowed down when it is happening, cause it seems so random. This new laptop is screaming fast though, i7, 8GB ram, 128GB SSD drive. I will try tuning it with the info Serato has for optimization, and report back on my findings... I am scared to use it for upcoming parties though... yikes.
DJ SL1 12:27 AM - 27 September, 2011
Does a bit but then the problems seem to come back
DJ SL1 12:30 AM - 27 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

One (important) fact I did leave out here is that I ran 1.7 on the 32bit machine, but changed to 2.0 wne I got the new machine. The mp3's are ok, if I exit (crash) out of Itch and re-launch, I can load that same track and play with no issues, it is definately software related, just haven't narrowed down when it is happening, cause it seems so random. This new laptop is screaming fast though, i7, 8GB
ram, 128GB SSD drive. I will try tuning it with the info Serato has for optimization, and report back on my findings... I am scared to use it for upcoming parties though... yikes.

Thanks let us know...n btw be afraid be very afraid lol
DJ SL1 12:33 AM - 27 September, 2011
I wonder if AnthonyS retired or something???
Serato
Glenn M 1:54 AM - 27 September, 2011
Hi, DJ SL1. I've looked at the crash log and know what is causing it to crash. Unfortunatlely, unless I can reproduce this issue, it will be incredibly difficult to fix.

How easily are you able to reproduce this?

Ideally, if you start ITCH, load one mp3, then crash on exit, that would be perfect. If that is the case, if would be helpful if you upload your _Serato_ folders (from your internal and external drivers), and a copy of the mp3 that you loaded to the deck. (Just zip them up before uploading them)

Cheers

Glenn
DJ SL1 4:20 AM - 27 September, 2011
Well what's causing it??? N it does it after a long set sometimes just sitting with no play for about 30mins to an hour since I'm not the last dj performing
dJ Jkey 10:04 PM - 28 September, 2011
2.0.1 sucks it freeze and did not close for me going back to 1.5 sad what the heck serato itch2.0.1 is only good for itching my butt
DJ SL1 1:43 AM - 29 September, 2011
can you please check this report i disabled my video card and some other things if you can let me know please
1:46 AM, 29 Sep 2011
DJ SL1 attached a file: STEPHEN-PC-dpcisr-report2.txt
Download· Permalink
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 1:47 AM - 29 September, 2011
Hi DJ SL1,

I will download the Crash Report and pass it on to the Devs to have a look.

Anthony
DJ SL1 1:52 AM - 29 September, 2011
thats not the crash report thats the latency one
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 2:27 AM - 29 September, 2011
Hi DJ SL1,

Yeah, I just had a look at the report and again it is the ACPI.sys file that has high latency values.
The other is nvlddmkm.sys which is related to nVIDIA graphics cards.
Could you tell me what you disabled from your set up when you retrieved this Trace report ?

Did you do a full clean install of Windows 7 when you updated ?

I have been trying to identify a fix for the nvlddmkm.sys reg file, apparently if Windows users upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 this file does not update. If you could replace this file manually from the install disc it may help ??
DJ SL1 2:41 AM - 29 September, 2011
my comp is a fresh windows seven comp and i disabled them im not sure if the report actually reported or not cuz when i run it now it shows like a red error talking about a kernal missing or what not
DJ SL1 2:42 AM - 29 September, 2011
Watchwww.youtube.com those are some of the things i did in that vid
DJ SL1 2:43 AM - 29 September, 2011
and downloaded dpclat and latencymon and the video card showed highest and after i disabled it it was gone off the list
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 2:54 AM - 29 September, 2011
Hi DJ SL1,

Yeah, its a good guide for Windows users. Did you disable ACPI as stated in the video ?
DJ SL1 3:27 AM - 29 September, 2011
Just the one on the battery not the ACPI from the whole system
DJ SL1 3:28 AM - 29 September, 2011
And I disabled nvidia audio drivers and left the realtek enabled bc when I disabled that serato started playing the computer sounds through it... Also is the ns7 drivers asio or no
pdidy 12:00 AM - 11 October, 2011
Glad to see game booster has been working for you......any other issues ?
DJ SL1 4:13 AM - 11 October, 2011
i let my friend help clean out my comp a lil better (supposedly) since he used to work at a computer store and it started again with the droppouts lol
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 2:22 AM - 12 October, 2011
Hi DJ SL1,

I have had one Windows user who noted that the USB drivers were a bit messy and this worked for him.

" I went to device manager and looked at all the USB drivers that were there, I noticed that there were intel drivers and the stand Generic USB drivers. When I saw both it was a little puzzling at first. I thought that this could be a potential issue. Uninstalled all USB devices, including the intel drivers. Restarted, let windows install the generic USB drivers again. Run serato and Video SL, plug in box. Play a video.... Im now 30 mins in and still going strong. I will leave it for another couple of hours just to make sure.

There is a known Microsoft issue with regards to USB drivers (not related to my Video SL), however this is fixed in a windows update. So make sure windows is fully up to date before uninstalling and restarting computer. "

Have a look at your USB drivers and check which are installed onyour machine.
DJ SL1 3:31 PM - 12 October, 2011
Ill check it out
Zhiming 3:21 PM - 8 November, 2011
I have an issue where the waveform/record skips at the same point in the track (60 secs) regardless of whether I swap in a new stylus and/or use a new control record. Has anyone else experienced this? Running a 64-Bit i7 Dell. Thanks.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 9:07 PM - 8 November, 2011
@Zhiming,

Could you please start your own help thread and someone from the support team will assist you there.

Thanks

Anthony
10:00 PM, 22 Nov 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.