Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Reset FX on song load!

DJ Stoyvo 8:00 PM - 21 August, 2011
So a buddy and I were at a wedding last night and realized the most pain-in-the-ass problem with SSL... When you enable an effect and load a new song, you have to go back and disable that effect!

One good example: Echo Out. You echo out a track, load a new one, and you sit there trying to figure out why you have no audio! Oh yeah! I forgot that echo Out was still on. Why is it still on? It's a whole new track!

Case and point.

I dont see a single reason as to why the SAME effect has to be on for the next track you load....
radikarl 10:16 AM - 22 August, 2011
disagree.

if you had a hardware effect unit it would be the same
DJ Stoyvo 12:50 PM - 22 August, 2011
Quote:
disagree.

if you had a hardware effect unit it would be the same

Fail? If you have Echo Out on a track, load a new one, the echo out would either be re-applied or turned off. SSL does neither... This is on ANY fx hardware unit that recognizes a song/track change.

So you're telling me you rather have to keep turning Echo Off after echoing out a track? Obviously you don't mashup otherwise you'd know how much time it takes to click around and disable the effect
radikarl 1:05 PM - 22 August, 2011
Quote:
ANY fx hardware unit that recognizes a song/track change

name one ;-)
radikarl 1:08 PM - 22 August, 2011
plus echo out is kind of a negative example since it trys to simulate
a post fader - send,
master return effect
with an actual insert structure, for obvious hardware restrictions.

what i would like instead is, the abilty to route the return path to the aux channel, just like with the SP6
DJ Stoyvo 1:17 PM - 22 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
ANY fx hardware unit that recognizes a song/track change

name one ;-)

off the to of my head I can tell you that the FX within a CDJ-400 resets... May not be an fx unit, but it's essentially what ssl does :P
DJ Stoyvo 1:19 PM - 22 August, 2011
Quote:
plus echo out is kind of a negative example since it trys to simulate
a post fader - send,
master return effect
with an actual insert structure, for obvious hardware restrictions.

what i would like instead is, the abilty to route the return path to the aux channel, just like with the SP6

Why would you rather all that extra work?

Honestly, will you keep a filter on as you mix out of a track, and keep that SAME filter on as you mix in a different track?

I don't see one good reason to keep the FX on while switching track. Give me one solid reason vs the cons I have, i'm sure you agree
radikarl 2:26 PM - 22 August, 2011
one good reason:
there is no midi out in SSL, so i use my hardware controlled LED toggles.
this is synced to the software as long as i change it only there.
your suggestion would break that.

another good reason
i don't like the software deciding things for me.
might be a different story in itch, but in SSL i prefer to keep it close to the analog feeling.

a third good reason:
you can assign more than one deck to the effect unit, which i sometimes do.
now if the effect is turned off, because one track is ejected, that would turn the effect of for all decks.
this would require additional logic, potentially causing issues.

a fourth good reason:
the folks at serato are humans too. they have a limited amount of time for a nearly unlimited amount of feature requests. there are other things i would perfer them to develop.
DJ ROC HOUND 3:53 PM - 22 August, 2011
@Radikarl: 100%ly right!

You have to turn off the FX on any mixer as well. Same goes for EQs or you faders.
Its part of beeing a dj to overview and controll your Tracks and Devices.
DJ Stoyvo 6:11 PM - 22 August, 2011
Quote:
one good reason:

You're positive about this? My cue points and loops have LED control via software....

Quote:
another good reason
might be a different story in itch, but in SSL i prefer to keep it close to the analog feeling.

You'd enable/disable the functionality

Quote:
a third good reason:
now if the effect is turned off, because one track is ejected, that would turn the effect of for all decks.

Either remove the deck from that effect or have an enable/disable option for the auto-off functionality

Quote:
a fourth good reason:
the folks at serato are humans too. they have a limited amount of time for a nearly unlimited amount of feature requests. there are other things i would perfer them to develop.

There's no time limit for this feature, but honestly it wouldn't take that long to implement.

Now for the cons:

First:
What happened to the 1-click rule? Why the hell would i waste 5 valuable seconds to reach for my mouse/trackpad (away from my setup!) to click an on/off button? To avoid this I would need a midi controller.. that's next!

Second:
FXs are (currently) only considerable if you have a midi controller around for on and off quickness! And who has space to have one sitting around all the time? Unless I buy another stand for it, i have no room for the controller.

Third:
You rather a Highpass filter automatically start on your new track while mixing? What if you want to scratch a sample, it'll sound like shit. If you're playing acapella over instrumental and echo out the instrumental, you better hope to god you don't miss the "Off" button because if you do, you're whole mix is off if you don't make that drop.

Forth:
If you're so worried about your hardware, use a god damn external hardware effects unit, don't expect software (something with track information and intelligence) to be exactly what you already have in your hands.

Keep going or stop there?
DJ Stoyvo 6:12 PM - 22 August, 2011
Quote:

You have to turn off the FX on any mixer as well. Same goes for EQs or you faders.

Yeah EQs and Faders are right there at your hands with quick access, exactly what they are designed for. SSL internal fx? Not so much. Not even a hotkey.
radikarl 9:05 PM - 22 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
one good reason:

You're positive about this? My cue points and loops have LED control via software....

what i said is true for all not-native controllers.
your cue points and cues have software controlled LEDS? so you are using the Dicers or the Denon HC1000s or some other native controller.
but do you have a controller assigned to controlling the FX?
if so, does the corresponding button light when you engage the effect?
maybe you have the Vestax VFX-1 which is a native controller for SSL,
but i prefer the super-knob effects and i can't control them with that, so i use a third party controller with my own mapping. thus, no leds controlled by the software.

there are lots of threads about this, just search Kontrol X1 Leds or Akai LPD LEDs or something similar.

Quote:

Quote:
another good reason

You'd enable/disable the functionality
agree

Quote:

Quote:
a third good reason:

Either remove the deck from that effect
see? that would mean MORE mental work for me then. less for you, but more for me. which is why i disagree ;-)
i would have to think about removing the deck from the effect unit, right before the track ends, so it doesn't screw up my mix, instead of doing so in another moment when there is more time, since the new track is already running.

Quote:
or have an enable/disable option for the auto-off functionality
still agree on that - i would disable it.

Quote:

Quote:
a fourth good reason:

There's no time limit for this feature, but honestly it wouldn't take that long to implement.

i disagree on that. due to the additional logic which would be necessary and which i mentioned earlier, this could in fact mean a lot of work.
"it wouldn't take that long to implement" is a sentence i hear way to often at work, it is almost never true. an experienced developer wouldn't say that while talking about existing products. ever. even if it turns out to be true in the end. you'll never know, even if it is your own code. so how come you can predict that about some other persons code?

Quote:

Now for the cons:

First:
What happened to the 1-click rule? Why the hell would i waste 5 valuable seconds to reach for my mouse/trackpad (away from my setup!) to click an on/off button? To avoid this I would need a midi controller.. that's next!

yup, get one. its really worth it.

if you are using the mouse only to control the effects, then i can see why you request this, but really, you should get a midi controller.

you woulnd't click a cue point. you sholdn't have to click an effect toggle either.

Quote:

Second:
FXs are (currently) only considerable if you have a midi controller around for on and off quickness! And who has space to have one sitting around all the time? Unless I buy another stand for it, i have no room for the controller.
there is always space to cramp in a nano kontrol or an LPD8. there are even laptop stands that have an extendable surface: www.magma-bags.de

Quote:

Third:
You rather a Highpass filter automatically start on your new track while mixing? What if you want to scratch a sample, it'll sound like shit. If you're playing acapella over instrumental and echo out the instrumental, you better hope to god you don't miss the "Off" button because if you do, you're whole mix is off if you don't make that drop.

no. i'd turn it off. that is part of my job when i DJ
its really a matter of taste though.

Quote:

Forth:
If you're so worried about your hardware, use a god damn external hardware effects unit, don't expect software (something with track information and intelligence) to be exactly what you already have in your hands.

Keep going or stop there?

agree in general. the fourth point is really not too much a good point but a matter of personal taste.

also, i am in fact looking into buying a kaoss pad.

peace.
DJ ROC HOUND 12:17 AM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah EQs and Faders are right there at your hands with quick access, exactly what they are designed for. SSL internal fx? Not so much. Not even a hotkey.

Agree, Hotkeys really are missing for the FX.
Take a look at the Akai MPK mini, affordable quality and not that big. I always found a place close to the decks.
DJ Stoyvo 1:05 PM - 23 August, 2011
I think both sides have pros and cons, but i honestly really dont have the space for another midi controller, and my nanopad sucks major balls :P
DJGongshow 1:33 PM - 14 June, 2014
+1 for an option to automatically reset fx on track load

I get caught on this at least 2-3 times a night, between the fact that the indicator light on NS7II is only slightly brighter when enabled, and just plain neglect when you have people in your face making requests
AlesouL 5:47 PM - 5 July, 2014
+1 here . I d like my FXs reset when loading a new track.
DJGongshow 3:46 PM - 22 July, 2014
re-up my +1 on this...

in outdoor shows you can't see any of the lights on the controller... I'm freakishly shadowing the button between tracks to see if the fx is on or off

reset and forget already... please give an option, even global for all fx is fine
Mr Wilks 12:40 AM - 24 July, 2014
+1 to bring this over to DJ.

Only as an option though. I think Traktor resets FX on load if the option is checked in the setup.

Using echo outs are catching me out often after a few shandys!
DJGongshow 11:46 PM - 24 August, 2014
Another +1 re-up for this... occasionally with Numark NS7II a controller light will get out of sync with the software and be off when it should be on... last night it was the FX button and I was bewildered at why one of my decks was dead. Sure enough it was Echo Out and was not indicated as on at the controller

Please... give an option to reset FX on track load!
Mr Wilks 12:26 AM - 25 August, 2014
Quote:
Another +1 re-up for this... occasionally with Numark NS7II a controller light will get out of sync with the software and be off when it should be on... last night it was the FX button and I was bewildered at why one of my decks was dead. Sure enough it was Echo Out and was not indicated as on at the controller

Please... give an option to reset FX on track load!

Guilty of leaving 'echo out' on and having a dead deck on play.

I'm in a place where I don't pay much attention as it's a party venue in Zante so got drinks, girls and drinking girls all around me. I forget about three times a night and get a few seconds dead air.

It's totally my fault and would always put it down to user error but having a little safety net would be a pretty cool check box option.

Another +1 for the sake of it ;)
vjMeely 12:48 AM - 28 October, 2017
So painful to re-read through this thread. All I can say is that there are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

I have a fix for this in sDJ. Its almost ready. Its in testing now. Track the following thread if you want to know when I announce it.

serato.com
Jfont 10:01 PM - 16 August, 2018
Great ! Late reply on this post but it helps a lot. I got it working only SX2.
Is there a way to also add this when dropping a song into the deck ?
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:56 AM - 17 August, 2018
Pad FX will be a way around this feature.

I think some FX e.g. Echo Out should be developed into pad FX.

One tap echo out, swap tracks and it's back to dry.

With knobs it may be a bit confusing.
Jfont 12:09 PM - 17 August, 2018
That sounds too good to be true
djWormUp 1:22 PM - 28 August, 2018
+1