Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

GENRE change to OTHER

DJ Guido 7:53 PM - 18 August, 2011
i copy a new mp3 file into serato music library. GENRE is for example "rock"
it looks all ok in itch, until i analyze this file.
if i analyze this file, "GENRE" change to "OTHER"

if i edit genre back to rock, then load file into player, genre change back to "other"
i tryed to edit "genre" in itunes, but without success.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:29 PM - 19 August, 2011
you might have to convert your files ID3 tag to ver 2.2 or 2.3

this can be done in itunes or other music management software
Nonnus 6:32 PM - 21 August, 2011
it would be wise to convert wav files to aiff as it has much better id3 tag support
DJ Guido 10:08 PM - 24 August, 2011
all the files are mp3 files, ID3, ver.2.3. i have changed the genres in itunes. but they change back to "other", if i load them in a player.
Nonnus 10:23 PM - 24 August, 2011
Quote:
it would be wise to convert wav files to aiff as it has much better id3 tag support

so sorry, not sure what got into me to mention wav files, you had mentioned mp3 right in your original post...
DJ Guido 5:47 AM - 26 August, 2011
no problem Nonnus ... :-))
but is is a idea, change files to wave and then back again to mp3. but in this way files louse audio-quality?
Nonnus 6:08 AM - 26 August, 2011
well, it does not make much sense to mess with the audio if your goal is to clean the id3 tags... it is better idea to try audio editors with tagging features or plain id3 tag editor to clean them up / fill them properly
DJ Guido 7:08 AM - 26 August, 2011
do you know a good id3 tag editor for mac ?... it should be possible change tag's at once
Nonnus 7:21 AM - 26 August, 2011
man, i am lousy in this stuff :(

i tried several different apps that allowed id3 tagging while i was researching for an app i developed for automatically tagging beatport wav files, beat tagger

in the end i could never decide on any of the several apps,
one of those that looks nice in the mac app store but i could not find really useful to work with was tagalicious as it is intended to work on itunes playlists

my advice: do a search on macupdate.com, get the demos from the top ones and try them out, some should fit, in the end, let us know what was your decision ;)
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:44 AM - 26 August, 2011
I used media rage for mac to get my library in order. Very powerful when it comes to tagging. You can use the demo for 30 days but it's well worth the $30 or so.

In Itunes you can change them all at once, but in media rage you can actually sort by tag type and just change the ones you need. Along with a ton of other features.
Dj Diamond Lee 2:24 PM - 26 March, 2013
Good morning I am having the same problem mostly when i donwload songs from the music internet sites. Like Songslover.com. Are there any other updates so the genere does not stay at other.
phatbob 4:43 PM - 26 March, 2013
Quote:
Good morning I am having the same problem mostly when i donwload songs from the music internet sites. Like Songslover.com. Are there any other updates so the genere does not stay at other.

Best thing to do is actually buy your music from legitimate sources.

The reason they show up with the genre as "Other" is to alert other DJs and licencing authorities that you're a thieving scumbag.
dj-nice 8:00 PM - 26 March, 2013
lol.....its a well known bug in itch. Emty genre tags are shown as "other" and are read only. You cant edit and save inside itch.
Dj Diamond Lee 8:24 PM - 26 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Best thing to do is actually buy your music from legitimate sources.

The reason they show up with the genre as "Other" is to alert other DJs and licencing authorities that you're a thieving scumbag.

Sticks and stones.. A. Hole
phatbob 9:26 PM - 26 March, 2013
Quote:

Don't publicly announce to the world that you pirate your music and then be surprised that somebody calls you out on it.

Hope you play all your gigs for free, as you apparently don't think people should get paid for their work.
Dj Diamond Lee 1:40 AM - 27 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Don't publicly announce to the world that you pirate your music and then be surprised that somebody calls you out on it.

Hope you play all your gigs for free, as you apparently don't think people should get paid for their work.

Next.
DJKentaa 4:20 PM - 28 October, 2013
Phatbob ... And the artist/record company is giving us DJ's promotion money to play outside to public so their music can be heard in a bigger scale?

i do buy most of my music from itunes and also tried several record pools such as digialdj.com or clubkillers.com and still getting music from them i get the same result in genre being saved as OTHER after editing.

sorry for bad english/grammar
reddark 1:54 PM - 6 March, 2015
Hello

I always have the same problem or i can say each time.
The problem happened when controler isn't connected
When i prepare, reedit my mp3. sometimes i play it and serato change Genre to "other" automaticaly.
dj-nice 7:05 AM - 20 March, 2015
bug is fixed in actual beta
reddark 10:04 PM - 27 March, 2015
Hello,
I'm a little disappointed.
Again and again. Serato continue to change genre to "other" after playing it.

Help me please, i have about hundred song to retag

sorry for my english

Using Win 8.1 serato 1.7.3
dj-nice 7:01 AM - 28 March, 2015
its fixed. Try actual beta 1.7.4
reddark 7:35 AM - 28 March, 2015
Quote:
its fixed. Try actual beta 1.7.4

thanks but i search everywhere to download, i found a zip file to download.
But i cannot, i don't have the rights to do it.
Can you send me a link please.
reddark 7:36 AM - 28 March, 2015
ohhhh good i found it !
I'll try it aas soon as