DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Theres a way to use serato without the box and theres a echo effect...

LightsOut06 9:32 PM - 31 August, 2007
IVE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. My boy showed me. He says theres a sequence of key presses you gotta do when serato opens. He didnt want to tell me how but I'm going to press him to see if I can get some more info. The echo effect kinda sucked to be honest but the trick to use serato without the box was cool and can be useful.
KaGeN 9:33 PM - 31 August, 2007
your mission : reveal this info!!
Konix 9:38 PM - 31 August, 2007
Oh lord here we go.
Raw 9:41 PM - 31 August, 2007
Serato needs some efx!
CMOS 9:41 PM - 31 August, 2007
I call Shenanigans. Why would they in their right minds program something like this into the program it would bankrupt them.
DjThis 9:43 PM - 31 August, 2007
No Sh$t...Serato needs EFX...
sixxx 9:45 PM - 31 August, 2007
I hear you can get the instructions for $100 if you pay it via Western Union.... off eBay.
LightsOut06 9:47 PM - 31 August, 2007
Quote:
I call Shenanigans. Why would they in their right minds program something like this into the program it would bankrupt them.

I work as a software engineer as my 9-5 and there's alot of reason why they would program something in the program to make it able to use without the dongle. Testing purposes, etc. That type of stuff usually makes it into the end product but is unapparent from the end user.
smoothe 9:48 PM - 31 August, 2007
That's bullshit and I don't believe you.
smoothe 9:50 PM - 31 August, 2007
There's no fucking way that's posible.
You gotta have the box.
Your friend is bullshiting you or he's just plane stupid.
They wouldn't do that.
allenbina 9:57 PM - 31 August, 2007
i dont believe him, but i believe its possible.
smoothe 10:01 PM - 31 August, 2007
Alen,.... its not posible.
smoothe 10:02 PM - 31 August, 2007
Possible
sixxx 10:04 PM - 31 August, 2007
Allen
Super Mario 10:05 PM - 31 August, 2007
Considering the SL1 or TTM57SL is the audio card and source, I highly doubt this is possible. If anything it may be possible to use the same interface as if the box were connected, but how would you connect your decks, not to mention where's the audio out? At best built in audio card and possibly internal mode only for just playback purposes of checking a song... No way can you get actual full Serato functionality though...
dj cubicle 10:05 PM - 31 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I work as a software engineer as my 9-5 and there's alot of reason why they would program something in the program to make it able to use without the dongle. Testing purposes, etc. That type of stuff usually makes it into the end product but is unapparent from the end user.

yeah, i wouldn't be entirely surprised either. we use a lot of "if file x exists, run the program differently by doing this". no magical keyboard combinations here.
djnvs 10:12 PM - 31 August, 2007
How would that even be possible?... without the box..what translates the signal to the mixer? I'm assuming he means internal mode also, if not.. What the hell is gonna translate the time coded signal?
dj cubicle 10:23 PM - 31 August, 2007
you could use that mode to test things like setting cue points, running loops for extended periods of time....interface things.

useful? no way.
a-swift 10:25 PM - 31 August, 2007
shenanigans
nik39 10:26 PM - 31 August, 2007
Yeah, probably relative mode with copying the track over, holding one track for a split of a second - there you have a simple 1 step echo/delay. Haha.
nik39 10:26 PM - 31 August, 2007
Maaagic. uhhhhh.
poloi3eai2 10:26 PM - 31 August, 2007
I've seen a video of someone do it with another program. He used a preamp for each turntable. But it was a shitload of rca cables he had to use. and He used final scratch records.
AdamJay 10:29 PM - 31 August, 2007
Quote:
Yeah, probably relative mode with copying the track over, holding one track for a split of a second - there you have a simple 1 step echo/delay. Haha.

yep, you can get a flanger that way too!!!
Maskrider 10:29 PM - 31 August, 2007
It's up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right
AdamJay 10:30 PM - 31 August, 2007
Quote:
I've seen a video of someone do it with another program. He used a preamp for each turntable. But it was a shitload of rca cables he had to use. and He used final scratch records.
dj decks?
DJ Evil One 11:46 PM - 31 August, 2007
DUDE IT WORKED!!!! I PLUGGED MY MIXER DIRECTLY INTO THE 1/8TH INCH IN ON MY LAPTOP DIRECTLY AND THEN PLUGGED A FOREMAN GRILL INTO THE SAME POWER STRIP! IT WORKED. I NOW SAVE MONEY ON THE SERATO BOX, AND I CAN MAKE A GRILLED PANINI SANDWICH NEXT TO ME WHILE I SPIN AND IMPRESS THE LADIES!
allenbina 11:57 PM - 31 August, 2007
they hid a pong game in it. its very likely imo, to the point where i honestly believe its somewhere in there, but deeeeeep inside.
a-swift 12:32 AM - 1 September, 2007
Quote:
DUDE IT WORKED!!!! I PLUGGED MY MIXER DIRECTLY INTO THE 1/8TH INCH IN ON MY LAPTOP DIRECTLY AND THEN PLUGGED A FOREMAN GRILL INTO THE SAME POWER STRIP! IT WORKED. I NOW SAVE MONEY ON THE SERATO BOX, AND I CAN MAKE A GRILLED PANINI SANDWICH NEXT TO ME WHILE I SPIN AND IMPRESS THE LADIES!

what's with the recent fascination with panini's anyway. i'm not gonna front, i like em. alot. but when i was a kid, we had a different name form em. "grilled ham n cheese"
bandoma 12:57 AM - 1 September, 2007
^^^its the oc panera bread and corner bakery thing.
LightsOut06 1:21 AM - 1 September, 2007
Quote:
Considering the SL1 or TTM57SL is the audio card and source, I highly doubt this is possible. If anything it may be possible to use the same interface as if the box were connected, but how would you connect your decks, not to mention where's the audio out? At best built in audio card and possibly internal mode only for just playback purposes of checking a song... No way can you get actual full Serato functionality though...

im not talking about using serato with your decks. But there's a way to use the SOFTWARE without the box without getting the interface disconnected message.
LightsOut06 1:22 AM - 1 September, 2007
basically using internal mode forgot to add that.
LightsOut06 1:35 AM - 1 September, 2007
Here's how to do the echo:

when you open up serato dont load any songs. Tap the bpm # box and hold the spacebar. A msg will come up in the box at the bottom of serato. try it.
vidoona 1:48 AM - 1 September, 2007
Quote:
There's no fucking way that's posible.
You gotta have the box.
Your friend is bullshiting you or he's just plane stupid.
They wouldn't do that.

Wow smoothe......chill out, pop a sedative, and take notes because last time I checked, they didn't teach programming theory to high schoolers.

Although improbable, it most certainly is possible that Serato (or any software) can be unlocked for partial (very partial) functionality without the box. This is a common practice amongst software developers. Now whether or not LightsOut06's friend is BS-ing is yet to be seen, but don't discount the possibility.

Here's how to do the echo:

Quote:
when you open up serato dont load any songs. Tap the bpm # box and hold the spacebar. A msg will come up in the box at the bottom of serato. try it.

Yeah, this is how you activate the easter eggs available.....old news. This still doesn't tell me how to get an echo out of my box.
KaGeN 1:51 AM - 1 September, 2007
you are also more than welcome to engage that egg, if you UNLOAD/EJECT a track and mouse over the bpm and depress the space bar till the congrats appears. thanks, that is all.
LightsOut06 1:56 AM - 1 September, 2007
oh my bad, alt 1-5 is deck 1, alt 6-0 is deck 2. try it out
vidoona 1:57 AM - 1 September, 2007
That's not echo........it's autoloop.
KaGeN 1:58 AM - 1 September, 2007
if I hit Escape 10X and click my heels twice, does that engage AutoMix?
nik39 2:09 AM - 1 September, 2007
Quote:
That's not echo........it's autoloop.

You DJ so bad, you dont know the difference between a loop and an echo.
Konix 2:15 AM - 1 September, 2007
lollerskates.
Maskrider 7:58 AM - 1 September, 2007
Quote:

My God what an Idiot!!!Hahahahahaha
a-swift 9:28 AM - 1 September, 2007
Quote:
^^^its the oc panera bread and corner bakery thing.

for real. i wish they would install a corner bakery in my house.
sixxx 4:32 PM - 1 September, 2007
A panini is nothing against the power of the punani.
AdamJay 8:50 PM - 1 September, 2007
so, considering this guy confused echo with auto-loop...
is there a chance he confused "using serato without the box" with having it open while "interface is disconnected" ?

yep... i know how to get it running without the "interface disconnected" message, and without the box plugged in.

just click "setup", and the message disappears!!!

ITS MAGIC!!!
AdamJay 8:50 PM - 1 September, 2007
erps... hit "cmd Q", not setup.
smutek 11:16 PM - 1 September, 2007
lol Adam....
AdamJay 11:25 PM - 1 September, 2007
cmd H works too!!!

whatup smuteyyy!
Smemtex (AoS) 10:08 AM - 2 September, 2007
Has anyone used a DN-S3500? They have an "Echo" effect that sounds just like "Auto-Loop", also loops on the EFX-500/1000 are done with "Echo", so I can see why LightsOut06 got it wrong...
AdamJay 11:44 AM - 2 September, 2007
yea.... except for the whole "loop in", :"loop out" icons on the SSL screen lighting up.
J_Static 5:32 PM - 2 September, 2007
I'd be super careful with releasing the info if u get it, IF THIS IS REAL, because Serato may send out ASSASSINS to take you out afterwords,

so watch yo back homey
D-Twizzle 2:22 PM - 3 September, 2007
I'm at the airport in Vegas right now. I had a great weekend spinning here with some of the Bay area guys on the forum. I can confirm that 1.8 will let you use Serato without the box to add cue points. The audio will go through your computer's internal sound.
a-swift 3:06 PM - 3 September, 2007
Quote:
I'm at the airport in Vegas right now. I had a great weekend spinning here with some of the Bay area guys on the forum. I can confirm that 1.8 will let you use Serato without the box to add cue points. The audio will go through your computer's internal sound.

Word?
Dj BuddyLove 3:13 PM - 3 September, 2007
Quote:
hey lightsout i bet you didnt know about the other efx easter egg serato has in it.

Open serato.
dont load any song in any deck.
tap the right or left tap button 180 times really fast.
and a new serato screen appears so you can mix videos
try it out really cool
D-Twizzle 10:53 PM - 3 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Word?

I don't really want to nAMe drop, but there's a DJ in Vegas that already has 1.8alpha and has shared about some of the features.
I've been wanting the feature to add cue points without the box connected for a very long time.
DJ Evil One 10:59 PM - 3 September, 2007
yay! they listened to me...

i made that feature suggestion a few months ago so that you could set cue points on a flight! yay.
D-Twizzle 1:49 AM - 4 September, 2007
Quote:
yay! they listened to me...
lol, you and hundreds of DJs before you.
J_Static 4:21 PM - 4 September, 2007
Quote:
I don't really want to nAMe drop, but there's a DJ in Vegas that already has 1.8alpha.

Now THATS what I call being discrete!
musiclee 8:37 PM - 4 September, 2007
i'll believe it when i see it, or when an actual Serato rep,, says so
a-swift 8:43 PM - 4 September, 2007
Quote:

pretty much every one of these unbelievable "rumours" has come true. the dj am mode, the looping, midi, video, cue points with no box, etc. most of these features get an skeptical greeting but then they end up being true.
J_Static 8:48 PM - 4 September, 2007
He gotta point people!
djmoneyd425 7:38 AM - 5 September, 2007
sooo...someone tell the new guy where to find 1.7.4
djmoneyd425 7:40 AM - 5 September, 2007
nevermind...
J0be 8:59 AM - 5 September, 2007
Evil Shenanigans!
djbriguy 2:33 PM - 5 September, 2007
Quote:
August 31, 2007, 5:41 PM
Serato needs some efx!

Quote:
August 31, 2007, 5:43 PM
No Sh$t...Serato needs EFX...

What the hell is wrong with you people.
J0be 2:48 PM - 5 September, 2007
Quote:

What the hell is wrong with you people...

....this is golf.

Name the film?
BriChi 2:51 PM - 5 September, 2007
happt gilmore?
BriChi 2:52 PM - 5 September, 2007
EDIT- Happy Gilmore
Rebelguy 2:53 PM - 5 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

What the hell is wrong with you people...

....this is golf.

Name the film?

Caddyshack 2?
concorde_pilot 3:11 PM - 5 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

pretty much every one of these unbelievable "rumours" has come true. the dj am mode, the looping, midi, video, cue points with no box, etc. most of these features get an skeptical greeting but then they end up being true.
the dj am mode is true? :D
The E Head 3:12 PM - 5 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the dj am mode is true? :D

beta 1.7.3 or newer type am in the tap box before loading any song
J0be 3:39 PM - 5 September, 2007
Quote:
EDIT- Happy Gilmore

we have a winner!
BriChi 3:44 PM - 5 September, 2007
winner winner chicken dinner
feniks 4:07 PM - 6 September, 2007
absolutely true! more confirmation --> scratchlive.net
J0be 4:44 PM - 6 September, 2007
lol

I'm getting better at not clicking!
KaGeN 5:00 PM - 6 September, 2007
Quote:
lol

can't see'em coming? you just jump on the land mines willingly? You'd be a good wingman in a bar wouldn't ya.. Take the fat chic every time and leave me with the horny hotty.
sixxx 5:06 PM - 6 September, 2007
Sometimes you gotta take one for the team. :P
J0be 5:54 PM - 6 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
lol

can't see'em coming? you just jump on the land mines willingly? You'd be a good wingman in a bar wouldn't ya.. Take the fat chic every time and leave me with the horny hotty.

Damn right. Gotta help the needy. If I didnt do that you'd go home alone!