DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Which to get qsc k12 or k10

Johnnynights 7:02 AM - 26 July, 2011
I dont know which of those to get i have subs already i plan to use them with the subs

I want to know if these are loud enough for like 300 people?
JDforKing 12:21 PM - 26 July, 2011
I have the k10s and 2 subs (jbl prx 718s). I'm thinking you may want to go with the k12s for that many people. I usually use my jbl prx 615m with my jbl prx 718s for larger gigs. Never tried it with my k10s.
DJ GaFFle 1:23 PM - 26 July, 2011
I'd get the K12's.
Johnnynights 6:15 PM - 26 July, 2011
yeah i might go with the k12s,i hope there loud enough

@JDforKing i can get the k12s or the prx612m which one do you recommend me?
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:25 PM - 26 July, 2011
I'm going the other way on this one

if you are going to use subs, you are going to want to cut the bass from the tops or your will get phasing conflicts (read: more bass in the tops = less bass overall)

also, the K10s have a wider dispersion from the K12s so you can cover more people. K8s even wider.

I have K8s and K10s. I usually run the K10s over some Ksubs, but if I had to do it all over again I would just buy all K8s and better subs. The K8, 10, 12 all can pretty much reach the same volume but the larger speakers can get to lower bass frequencies. As soon as you add subs, you cancel all that out anyway.

Plus you save some money and have lighter speakers to carry.
JDforKing 7:15 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:

if you are going to use subs, you are going to want to cut the bass from the tops or your will get phasing conflicts (read: more bass in the tops = less bass overall)

also, the K10s have a wider dispersion from the K12s so you can cover more people. K8s even wider.

I have K8s and K10s. I usually run the K10s over some Ksubs, but if I had to do it all over again I would just buy all K8s and better subs. The K8, 10, 12 all can pretty much reach the same volume but the larger speakers can get to lower bass frequencies. As soon as you add subs, you cancel all that out anyway.

How is that possible when you put them in ext sub mode, that eliminates all the bass anyways. With that said it would all come down to which speakers gets the loudest without distorting. Im curious because i have 2 k10s myself, you think the k10s can keep up with 2 kw 181 when in external sub mode? Anything can keep up with the ksubs, i had it for 3 weeks and sold it and got a jbl prx 718s. Then bought another one of those when they were discontinued. Great subs for the weight and price.
JDforKing 7:18 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
yeah i might go with the k12s,i hope there loud enough

@JDforKing i can get the k12s or the prx612m which one do you recommend me?

I've heard the jbl prx 612 are louder than the k12s, but i must say that i like my k10s too, it all comes down to preference. I think you should also take a look at the rcf 312a and the ev ex 112p, these 2 speakers are the best bang for your buck.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:40 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

How is that possible when you put them in ext sub mode, that eliminates all the bass anyways. With that said it would all come down to which speakers gets the loudest without distorting. Im curious because i have 2 k10s myself, you think the k10s can keep up with 2 kw 181 when in external sub mode? Anything can keep up with the ksubs, i had it for 3 weeks and sold it and got a jbl prx 718s. Then bought another one of those when they were discontinued. Great subs for the weight and price.

k8 goes down to 61Hz
K10 to 56Hz
K12 to 48Hz

however, in external sub mode they all roll off at around 100Hz

given that they all have the same amp, all the energy is being put into the upper frequency range in external sub mode. They all have the same tweeter, but if what you seeking most is the mid-range, it seems that an 8" woofer will sound better than a 12" woofer for mid-range frequencies.

I could be full of shit, I guess. The max SPL levels are different for each one, but I assume they are measuring them in full range mode.

If I was using them without subs, I would definitely get the K12s as they sound the most full on their own.
JDforKing 7:49 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

k8 goes down to 61Hz
K10 to 56Hz
K12 to 48Hz

however, in external sub mode they all roll off at around 100Hz

given that they all have the same amp, all the energy is being put into the upper frequency range in external sub mode. They all have the same tweeter, but if what you seeking most is the mid-range, it seems that an 8" woofer will sound better than a 12" woofer for mid-range frequencies.

I could be full of shit, I guess. The max SPL levels are different for each one, but I assume they are measuring them in full range mode.

If I was using them without subs, I would definitely get the K12s as they sound the most full on their own.

Sounds good thanks for the info, how many people do you think your setup can handle? Is it indoor or outdoor?
StevenWayne 7:52 PM - 26 July, 2011
hey dub, i remember you saying you owned the k8s, 10s and 12s. do you hear a major difference between the k8s and the k10s? i just bought the k8s, they're awesome. i was just curious between those and the 10s if there was a major difference to the ear (without using a sub)
JDforKing 7:53 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
hey dub, i remember you saying you owned the k8s, 10s and 12s. do you hear a major difference between the k8s and the k10s? i just bought the k8s, they're awesome. i was just curious between those and the 10s if there was a major difference to the ear (without using a sub)

I have a 2 qsc k10 and had 1 qsc k8, yes there is a difference. IMO, the k10 is much louder and doesn't peak as fast in deep mode.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:14 PM - 26 July, 2011
I agree with ^ this

however, with subs my K10s peak faster than the K8s.
Johnnynights 8:40 PM - 26 July, 2011
thanks for the info,i plan on getting some k12 or prx615m i want to use them with the some passive vega subs thats why i wanted to know if some of these can keep up with them

@DJ Dub Cowboy do these qsc speakers sound good outside?

@JDforKING ima look at those ev speakers
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:43 PM - 26 July, 2011
yep, they sound good everywhere I take them

my ksubs gotta go though...
Johnnynights 9:08 PM - 26 July, 2011
Are they really that loud as they say?

I know im asking a lot of questions lol

Your not happy with the Ksubs?
JDforKing 9:14 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
Are they really that loud as they say?

I know im asking a lot of questions lol

Your not happy with the Ksubs?

Ksubs are cool for weddings or corporate events, but they aren't worth the money in my opinion. I had one for three weeks then sold it for my jbl prx 718s
dj_soo 9:15 PM - 26 July, 2011
what's nice about the k12s is that if you're doing smaller shows, you can show up just with them instead of having to lug your subs around...
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:58 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
what's nice about the k12s is that if you're doing smaller shows, you can show up just with them instead of having to lug your subs around...

true

If i couple my ksubs side to side I can get by.

The tops though are serious. They are loud and clear. I'm very happy with mine. I'll probably get some KW181s to replace my Ksubs. I may even head toward the KLA series.
dj_soo 10:09 PM - 26 July, 2011
Right now, I run a set of K12s and a Yorkville LS720P and it works for up to around 200 people... i want to get a pair of k8s or k10s to use as monitors as well as a 2nd 15" sub so I can do bigger wedding parties and just use all my own sound for the smaller underground dance events I throw.

I wish i had the storage and vehicle to transport a bigger sub, but right now, 15" subs is the only thing that will fit in my car...
StevenWayne 10:25 PM - 26 July, 2011
Speaking of subs, what subs are you guys finding to be the smallest and sound good. i'm limited in space in my tiny car. right now, i have a mackie 1501, its ok, not super loud, but does the job for most of my events. i'd love to go smaller and lighter
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:32 PM - 26 July, 2011
I went with the Ksub strictly based on size. It was the only thing that fit, now I have a bigger vehicle so I'm looking around for something better but still very portable.

The QSC KW181 has a nice low profile that might work for me. If you are looking for one box that will do the work of two, check out the KV2 EX2.2. I use one from time to time and I have to turn it down to get it to match my tops. They are beasts and not very big, but they run almost 2 grand.
Discobee 10:35 PM - 26 July, 2011
Between a QSC K-series (not the KW) 12" or a JBL PRX 12", I would definitely go with a PRX 12".

check this out: www.peachstateaudio.com

But if you're only debating between a K10 or a K12, go with a K12.
JDforKing 10:36 PM - 26 July, 2011
i've heard the Yorkville LS720P, sounds pretty good for its size, not too big either
DJ GaFFle 10:37 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
thanks for the info,i plan on getting some k12 or prx615m i want to use them with the some passive vega subs thats why i wanted to know if some of these can keep up with them

@DJ Dub Cowboy do these qsc speakers sound good outside?

@JDforKING ima look at those ev speakers

The K12's have a 75 degree dispersion so they are more focused than the 90 degree K10's. This may equate to what's perceived as a farther throw of sound. You can possible cluster a pair of K12's per side to w/o suffering comb filtering or sound overlap. That won't work well with the K10's. The K10s would cover a ballroom and side tables well due to their wider dispersion.
Dj K.Smith 10:38 PM - 26 July, 2011
QSC fanboy alert:

As you may or may not know I have the K8's, K12's, KW153's and KW181's... I just used the 12's this past Sunday after not using them for quite a while and they sounded great. The K-Sub and the 12's are good for a small to medium sized event (150 peeps or less)... I've used the 181's and 153's together and they sounded incredible... With the 12's you'll get a deeper bottom end but you wont lose either way... I'm of the thought that it's always better to have to turn it down that struggle to tuen it up...
Dj K.Smith 10:40 PM - 26 July, 2011
*tuen = turn
pdidy 10:40 PM - 26 July, 2011
Has anyone ever blown a pair of K12s ?
If so , what was your repair experience like ?
Do you have to ship the hole speaker to qsc?
whats the cost of recone or diaphragm replacement ?
Has anyone ever blown the amp ?

I ask because im getting a pair in 2 Days an i will use them for rentals which can lead to blown speakers at times.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:42 PM - 26 July, 2011
I had a woofer go out in a K10, QSC covered the repair. I did have to ship it to them which was about $25 from Northern to Southern Cali

They have a 6 year warranty
dj_soo 11:00 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
i've heard the Yorkville LS720P, sounds pretty good for its size, not too big either

Yea, it fits in the back seat of my camry no problem - I could easily fit two of them and still have a bit of space for a turntable case (probably just one tho).

As far as sound goes, I find using only one is alright, but I'd prefer to have 2 going...
Mm3 2:27 AM - 27 July, 2011
i love the k8's. i just did a wedding this past saturday with about 200 people(i think 2 banquet halls opened together, it was at a marriot hotel with dividers opened up to join two rooms together). i ran the 2 k8's with 2 yorkville ls720p and the sound was more than enough. it sounded great and speakers were not even maxed out. it was a young crowd, I ended up playing lots of bass heavy top 40. mixed for about 4 hours and sound was crystal clear.
DJJorel 5:47 PM - 28 July, 2011
I have 4 K8s and 2 JBL PRX718s subs. This setup gives me the most versatility, compared to what I had in the past.

I can basically do anything from a house party to a pretty good sized wedding. I used 4 K8s and the subs in the ballroom at Disneyland's Grand Californian Hotel, and that room is pretty damn big. That setup filled the room really well.

Then, on the other side of the spectrum, I've taken just 1 or 2 K8s and my VCI-300 to small backyard parties or smaller venues. This whole setup fit in the backseat of my car.

I was about to get K10s, but at the time I figured that getting 4 K8s would be a little more flexible for me. In my opinion, I would either pick up the K8s or K12s. But you really can't go wrong with any of the K-Series tops...
Dj K.Smith 8:15 PM - 28 July, 2011
Can't go wrong with the QSC brand fam... Sound investment...
Mm3 8:29 PM - 28 July, 2011
Quote:
I would either pick up the K8s or K12s.

I agree. i picked k8 out of the 3, and it had nothing to do with the price either.
dj_soo 8:37 PM - 28 July, 2011
the 6 year warranty is awesome too...
Dj K.Smith 8:38 PM - 28 July, 2011
Quote:
the 6 year warranty is awesome too...

Absolutely it is... Kinda protects the value of your equipment as well...
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:45 PM - 28 July, 2011
I figured out that with the 6 year warranty and the # of times I'll use my speakers in that time, that each use costs me a couple bucks.

not bad for owning a sound system that sounds really really good.
Johnnynights 1:29 AM - 29 July, 2011
I heard some k12s from a friend and decided i want to get them so i went to go check if they had the k12s in Downtown Los Angeles and guess what they dont any left no more the guy told me next week there going to get more and he said will give me 2 k12s for 1,200$ you guys think thats good since they are like 799$
dj_soo 1:44 AM - 29 July, 2011
good deal - i paid $1800 for mine (although that was 3 years ago)
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:26 AM - 29 July, 2011
Quote:
I heard some k12s from a friend and decided i want to get them so i went to go check if they had the k12s in Downtown Los Angeles and guess what they dont any left no more the guy told me next week there going to get more and he said will give me 2 k12s for 1,200$ you guys think thats good since they are like 799$

great deal
StevenWayne 4:32 AM - 29 July, 2011
i think i got a good deal on my k8s a few weeks ago. i ended up paying $530 out the door for each speaker.
Dj K.Smith 5:33 AM - 29 July, 2011
Quote:
i think i got a good deal on my k8s a few weeks ago. i ended up paying $530 out the door for each speaker.

I wonder who you asked about your K8's?!?!?!??!!? Hmmmmmmm..... LOL
Johnnynights 9:11 AM - 29 July, 2011
@StevenWayne yeah i think thats good deal

Some people are telling me to get the Jbl prx612m
StevenWayne 3:49 PM - 29 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder who you asked about your K8's?!?!?!??!!? Hmmmmmmm..... LOL

Yes sir, that be you
phaareal 4:50 PM - 29 July, 2011
Quote:
I dont know which of those to get i have subs already i plan to use them with the subs

def k12!!! i use 2 of these and the ksubs/DEF GREAT FOR 300 PEEPS.
JDforKing 5:47 PM - 29 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

def k12!!! i use 2 of these and the ksubs/DEF GREAT FOR 300 PEEPS.

You must be in a small room or the music is at wedding levels because i don't know if thats possible.
Dj K.Smith 6:27 PM - 29 July, 2011
That's a stretch for 300... I'd have the K12's and the KW 181's for 300... Not K-subs for that size... Not enough boom boom...
phaareal 6:29 PM - 29 July, 2011
thats tru but if u think not all 300 will be on the dance floor at same time/the boom is more closeby floordancing
phaareal 6:30 PM - 29 July, 2011
the 181's and the k12 would be good
StevenWayne 6:47 PM - 29 July, 2011
and since we're talking k8s and stuff, i bought those qsc bags for them.....really nice bags. i was hesitant to buy them cuz of the price, but they're well worth it.
pdidy 6:47 PM - 29 July, 2011
Quote:
thats tru but if u think not all 300 will be on the dance floor at same time/the boom is more closeby floordancing

So by your definition this system will even handle 1000 because all won't fit on the floor at the same time.......lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:11 PM - 29 July, 2011
Quote:
and since we're talking k8s and stuff, i bought those qsc bags for them.....really nice bags. i was hesitant to buy them cuz of the price, but they're well worth it.

hell yeah, I agree. I've gigged over 300 times on these and the only scratch I have on any of my speakers was from the ONE TIME I didn't use the bags.
DJ GaFFle 8:57 PM - 29 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

hell yeah, I agree. I've gigged over 300 times on these and the only scratch I have on any of my speakers was from the ONE TIME I didn't use the bags.

300x ??? Shouldn't you have enuff loot for some Danley's or Funktion One's at this point?
StevenWayne 9:46 PM - 29 July, 2011
he used all his money for serato pressings lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:16 AM - 30 July, 2011
you are both CORRECT!!!!

actually getting ready to upgrade here. Thinking about QSC KLA, JBL VRX, KV2, and maybe even Void. I want something small that packs a punch. I mostly just use my system for personal gigs.
Dj K.Smith 1:13 AM - 30 July, 2011
Quote:

But when it comes to hearing guests speak you need room coverage that extends past the dance floor...
4mydawgz 1:49 AM - 30 July, 2011
i have 2 Mack 10" SRM 350's. They are good for their size. Really surprised me. I'm in the market for another speaker something a lil bigger. Was thinking about going with the 12" SRM 450. Trying to pick something with some bass kuz right now I cant afford a sub.
phaareal 2:02 AM - 30 July, 2011
the alto pro speakers that just came out aren't a bad option neither with same wattage as k12 but at 15" for more bass and i believe its more affordable...
4mydawgz 2:13 PM - 1 August, 2011
thanks... i like the design. i wanna hear how those sounds
dmitch2000 5:48 PM - 6 November, 2013
Whats up forum just getting on.My 2 cents.........Just bought 2 K 12's and 2 kw 181 subs and I am very pleased !!!!!!! actually thinking about getting 2 more K12's ( I can get them for $600 apiece).But I'm really curious if the 122's sound that much better for the extra bread ...any thoughts
dj_soo 10:23 PM - 6 November, 2013
I think the KW122 sounds way better than the K12 - it's bigger and heavier tho and you'll probably want another 181 to round it out.
dmitch2000 2:38 PM - 7 November, 2013
Ok so you are saying either way if I get 2 more K12's or 2 more 122's still should get one more sub .I'm getting into rentals now so I want to be able put out several systems /options .I already have an Jbl MRX system 2-515's and 2-518s( I run those with crown 2000w amps/4000w amps) Then I have a bigger set up 2-722's/4-718's ran with itech 4000/8000w amps.
That being said can anyone give me any marketing tips on rentals and major do's/don'ts and any good advice. Thanks people!!!!!!!!!!!!!