DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mobile DJ's - Specs of your Speakers & Amps

KMXE 9:17 AM - 24 June, 2005
Just wondering what sort of gear you mobile DJ's have. Please specify specs (how many watts etc) and what was the largest room you have been able to cater for. Pros, cons, how much you paid, features etc
djHSL 10:27 AM - 24 June, 2005
I have two HK-Audio LUCAS 600 systems, and one pair of dbTechnologies Opera 215s. All are powered systems, which I drive directly from my sound card. The largest party I've ever played with this equipment was just under 800 people, and it wasn't enough sound. I went there expecting not more than 500. If I was doing another party of this size I would DEFINITELY hire in some extra subs. I also use a set of Behringer Truth 2031a monitors for classical and/or jazz music in small churches, etc., during weddings.

For parties, you should allow 5 watts of sound for each person on the dance floor. The LUCAS 600s are 600 watts, and recommended for parties of up to 150 people by the manufacturer. At 5 watts, 120 people is a better measure, and I think that is a more accurate reflection of their capability.

I like powered speakers because of the ease with which I can load/unload, set up, and move them around if necessary. I use AKG wireless transmitters for my systems, so all I need is access to power points close to each speaker. At receptions, I can use the Operas for cocktail music in one room, then quickly move them to the rear of the dining room as guests move in to dinner, spreading the sound more evenly during dinner, so that the guests next to the dance floor don't get blown away.

I'm now doing more weddings and corporate events than simply parties, and that might influence my choice if I was buying my equipment over again. The BOSE PAS is absolutely fantastic for this market, but damned expensive here in Australia. A couple of those systems with a small stack of their subs, with their fantastic sound dispersal, and I'd have the best wedding system in the State.

Cons ... hmmmm ... none, really. Perhaps the LUCAS system could look a little more "cool", but any system which uses tripods for speakers is going to look a little geeky, no matter what you do.

Unless you are in Australia, there is no point me posting prices. Compared to those advertised in America, we get bent over and anally raped without the benefit of lubricant when it comes to buying any sound equipment :(
djHSL 10:32 AM - 24 June, 2005
KMXE, I just noticed that you ARE in Australia ... I paid just on $3,000 for each LUCAS 600 system, and $1,600 for the pair of Opera 215s. The Truths were $600 the pair. I'm in Victoria, so I don't know much about suppliers and prices in Sydney.
DJ Shady 11:22 AM - 24 June, 2005
Personally I think if you are not doing frequent (read: 2 x mobile gig) a week, then it's not really worthwhile purchasing any gear as it's uneconomic to do so to get something good that's going to suit all gigs.

You're better off hiring *DECENT* rigs to auit each application from one of the hire/production companies here in Sydney.

I had a big gig @ Shark Hotel once (before they had Space Nightclub) which around 1200ppl turned upto and I had a very large Martin Audio Wavefront W8 rig (8 x subs, 6 x top boxes). This suited the gig perfectly and was *MUCH* better sounding than what Space Nightclub actually sounds like and had far more bass energy. This setup would cost around $140,000 thereabouts to buy, so you see my point.

If you want to get something for smallish type gigs, look at Turbosound's TXD series speakers.
www.turbosound.co.uk
I'd recommend 2 x TXD121's mounted on pole mounts to 2 x TXD118 subs. Beauty of this setup is you don't need separate amplifications or crossover/processing to run it. You can run it with a suitable 2 x channel stereo power amp that delivers 1200w RMS into 4ohms. Because it is for portable use, I would look at getting a switch-mode type power amplifier due to their lightness/portability. It's not uncommon to find switch-mode type power amps that can deliver up to 3000w per channel, yet weigh under 10KG!
DJ EmDeaZiL 1:17 PM - 24 June, 2005
If you're looking for a setup for a small venue, ie: bar, lounge, or need monitors, definately pick up the Mackie SRM450's... While they look similar to JBL's EON series, they literally blow them away. The best part is that the amp is built in to each speaker. Simple XLR cables from the mixer and you're up and running in seconds. Plus, less to carry at the end of the night. A tad pricey though at about $700 a speaker, but well worth it. I've had my pair for years and have used them hundreds of times without a hitch. And they CRANK.

<M>
Boogie Down Martin 3:36 PM - 24 June, 2005
I think DJ shady is right. If you have to do larger Gigs you simply cannot afford a decent System. If you want something for smaller Gigs you should definitely go to a store and listen to all systems you are potentially interested in. E.g., opposed to what DJ EmDeaZil says there are also lots of people who prefer the JBL EON 15 G2 over the Mackie SRM 450. Make up your own mind and don't buy anything you haven't heard yourself.

Many people like active speakers because you don't have to carry seperate amps and the amp is matched to the drivers, sometimes with digital frequency correction.

For about 150 People e.g. two 15" speakers with 400-500W each should be fine. But that all depends, if you play progressive house with strong basslines you might need more power for the same number of people. Or if you bring the speakers up very high and the acoustics of the room is good you might be able to play for more people.

Personally I think it is a good strategy to buy something that you can extend later. E.g. get two active 15" speakers and buy two more if you need more power later, or you add subs.
DJ EmDeaZiL 4:12 PM - 24 June, 2005
Boogie Down...
Don't hate on the Mackies because you own a set of JBLs... hahhaha... just messin with ya man.

PS.. JBL had to come out with the G2 (generation 2) to compete with Mackie who pioneered the self powered. JBLs product was originally intended for PA use.

Sorry, us NYC fools always have to get the last word!
<M>
yuri 4:17 PM - 24 June, 2005
I just got the Yorkville NX550P this week. I havent had a good chance to test them yet but some of the reviews I read said they were better than the Mackies... we'll see
LaJollaDJs 5:06 PM - 24 June, 2005
Small system: (good for weddings and small dances up to 300)

2X Mackie 450 Powered Tops
2X Mackie 1801 Powered Subs

Large System:
2 JBL SRX-4733 (Dual 15" & horn)
2 JBL SRX-4735 (3-way long-throw)
2 JBL SRX-4919 (Dual 18" subs)
3 Crown CE-4000
1 Aphex Aural Exicter Model 204
1 Rane Crossover
Mackie 450s (as monitors)

I've done about 1200 in a school gym with this large system and it wasn't strained at all. However, I havent figured out how to get rid of the echos yet..yet..yet
DJ MDX 5:11 PM - 24 June, 2005
I have a pair of Mackie SRM-450's...... and in the voice of the taxi driver on 'Bullet Proof Monk' "they are the bomb-diggity!"....lol
Niral 9:00 PM - 24 June, 2005
Damn..Mobile DJ's are mad serious!! Hmmm..maybe it's time to upgrade my system:

2x Yamaha S115V
2x JBL MP225 (Dual 15' Subs)
1 QSC PLX 3402
1 QSC RMX 2450
1 Behringer Crossover (which I dont use cause it's a bitch to setup!)
Dj KaGeN 9:31 PM - 24 June, 2005
1 vote for SRM1530's - Mackie. Simply the most powerful sound I've heard for 2 grand.
Boogie Down Martin 9:38 PM - 24 June, 2005
I think in terms of "lots of boom for the buck" this is a nice solution:

2x Mackie SA 1521 (active, 15")
2x SWA 1801 (active sub, 18")

You can also start with only two SA 1521, they also sound good alone (large and heavy compared to EONs or SRM-450s though).
DJ Shady 9:40 PM - 24 June, 2005
Quote:
there are also lots of people who prefer the JBL EON 15 G2 over the Mackie SRM 450.

Then there are people like myself (from personal experience) who think both are lame not to mention any other plastic box enclosure.

For ultimate portability, I agree with the first response about the HK Audio LUCAS systems. I played on a LUCAS 2000 system once and it was awesome for what they are and are really idiot proof to setup. Failing that, my Turbosound recommendation for bang-for-buck value.
Boogie Down Martin 9:45 PM - 24 June, 2005
Altough I must admit I haven't heard SRM-450s I can hardly imagine that they are loeder than EON 15s. 15"s move more than 1.5 times more air than the 12"s. Maybe at lower levels the sound of the Mackies is better. But the EON G2s sound good. I know that the Version before the EON 15 G2 had problems though.
DJ Shady 10:22 PM - 24 June, 2005
The G2's are better than the original EON15's but they still pop and fart when driven. I'm yet to find a plastic enclosure that doesn't.
BriChi 1:18 AM - 25 June, 2005
2 JBL srx4722 - 2 way 12" woofer
2 JBL srx4718 - 18"subs
2 Crest Audio CA12 amps
DBX driverack for Crossover, EQ and compressor
Rane 2016 mixer
denon 4000
AND of course the one ond only SSL

Do many party's a week such as Weddings, school stuff and bar/batmitzvahs with no issues at all. Love the setup and would highly recommend it. Though the Mackies do kick ass
RiceCube 4:02 AM - 25 June, 2005
I have a pair of the Mackie 450's and the JBL Eon G2's. Bought the Mackies first. Yes the woofers are smaller at 12" but they sound crisper as advertised. I mainly use the JBL's though. The reason why I switched over is because the JBL's are better at dispersing heat than the Mackies. I used to DJ a ton of frat parties and when the parties get packed, the Mackies used to overheat so I had to attach little fans to them.

So if you're doing gigs where sound quality is important, i.e. lots of vocals, etc., then go with the Mackies. If you want more bass (just a little bit more than Mackies) and if you're DJing in hot rooms, then go with the JBL. The JBL is also shaped in a more user friendly way. I have two lights (Quatros) that I place on top of the Eons which I can't do with the Mackies. For mobile DJing, these two speakers can't be beat for the price and convenience.
KMXE 9:54 AM - 25 June, 2005
ive been contemplaing getting a PA set which would double for a mobile DJ PA system. im part of a (still forming) band, and it would be dope if i could the same system (money restraints, you see!).

i never realised a number of mobile DJ's use the JBL systems.... for some reason i never thought they gave enough 'oomph' overall and not 'loud' enough for a mobile DJ..... i may have to revisit them.

anybody mess with yamaha systems & speakers?
djHSL 10:33 AM - 25 June, 2005
kmxe, what type of band are you forming, and what type of mobile event do you foresee? I mentioned the Bose PAS earlier, that gets rave reviews from a lot of live musicians. The distributor is in Sydney, and they might loan you a set for a trial.
DJ Shady 12:25 AM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
i never realised a number of mobile DJ's use the JBL systems
Inexpensive and common, it's inevitable

Quote:
for some reason i never thought they gave enough 'oomph' overall and not 'loud' enough for a mobile DJ..... i may have to revisit them.

I think you were right the first time. Have a look at a HK Audio LUCAS2000 and you won't touch the JBL plastic stuff with a barge pole.

Quote:

anybody mess with yamaha systems & speakers?

You're really going backwards now. They're speakers are bad and their power amps even worse. They love to clip easily and go DC to take out as many drivers in one go as they can.

Stick to good quality pro gear when it comes to speakers.. Turbosound, EAW, Martin Audio, Dynacord, L'Acoustic, Nexo, HK Audio, d&b Audiotechnik, Meyer Sound, Yorkville etc etc

Same goes for amplification..
Lab.Gruppen, Crown Audio, Camco, QSC, Crest Audio etc etc

And also for processing..
RANE, BSS Audio, RANE, XTA, RANE, Klark-Teknik, RANE, Symetrix etc etc. Did I mention RANE?

Somethings to think about with professional audio

* A system is going to sound as good as it's weakest link
* Remember, Shit in -> Shit out ->
* You can make roses smell like shit, but you will never make shit smell like roses

I'll leave you to ponder...
KMXE 1:05 AM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
kmxe, what type of band are you forming, and what type of mobile event do you foresee? I mentioned the Bose PAS earlier, that gets rave reviews from a lot of live musicians. The distributor is in Sydney, and they might loan you a set for a trial.

funk/hip-hop band.

mobile gigs? anything from house parties to decent sized hall parties. obviously if/when i do bigger ones, i would hire gear, but for the most part, im thinking a lot of smaller ones where a mobile rig would be good.

Quote:
* A system is going to sound as good as it's weakest link
* Remember, Shit in -> Shit out ->
* You can make roses smell like shit, but you will never make shit smell like roses

I'll leave you to ponder...

im aware of this, ive just never used half of systems that's been mentioned in this thread!!
DJ Shady 10:24 AM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
ive just never used half of systems that's been mentioned in this thread!!

Time to check out the real stuff then.
djHSL 11:20 AM - 26 June, 2005
KMXE, forget the Bose. It isn't suitable for Hip Hop.

If you want a good deal on HK Audio, I know that Mario Monaco, at Monaco Sound in Melbourne, has an AMAZINGLY low price on a LUCAS 1000 system. It is cheaper than I paid for my LUCAS 600s, as he wants to move it before the end of the financial year. Worth looking at - it would be perfect for house parties with bass-heavy music.
DJ Hondai 12:39 PM - 1 July, 2005
Has anyone already experienced the "Samson DB500 A"?

I didn't have the chance to test them yet, but the price tag is quite interesting for germany: just EUR 498,- instead of EUR 679,- for the "JBL 15 G2" or the "Mackie SRM 450".

Specs are:
15"+1" with 400+100 Watt, and they have a built in amp too.
DJ Hondai 12:49 PM - 1 July, 2005
Quote:
the price tag is quite interesting for germany: just EUR 498,- instead of EUR 679,- for the "JBL 15 G2" or the "Mackie SRM 450".

Correction, you can get them already for EUR 399,- (in Germany)
Ras Gonzo 3:50 AM - 18 September, 2005
My ex roommate left his Carvin 832 monitors in my garage. Well it's been 2 years now, so I consider them mine now(unless he comes lookin) Being a newb, I don't know much about DJ speakers, does anybody have any experience with Carvins? Thanks.
Spin Dr's 9:30 AM - 18 September, 2005
Here's my mobile rig:
Bose 802 (2)
Bose 302 (1)
Pioneer DJM 909
Rane T54 (used as a back up)
Crown Amp
1200 DZ's (2)
15" Powerbook G4
SSL of course!

Very compact and an excellent sounding system. I've done smalle weddings 150 people to large events (1200 people) with this system and it holds it's own very well.
djwaz 5:46 PM - 21 September, 2005
1200 people with a pair of 802's and 1 sub?? hahahaha.. anyway...
I'll ditto DJ Shady's post above :-)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:11 PM - 21 September, 2005
my compact setup

2 mackie srm450

choice of players
2 DNS5000
2 DNS1000
x1500 mixer
x100 mixer
and currently SSL

300 people
dont need much bass for wedding parties
people actually say its too loud! GASP!
FYI youre not trying to fill a room
you just want to focus on the dance floor
Dj Paperchase 8:45 AM - 28 September, 2005
Here's my setup...

4x Yamaha S115V
2x EV Dual double 15inch Full Range
2x 1200MK2's
1x Vestax Pro 05II
1x QVC RMX2450
2x Ortofons Pro S needles
1x Powerbook (Sexy as hell)
1x IBreeze with an additional USB power fan
And Runnig SSL

PS...I am currently looking for another AMP just to run the 4 yamaha's alone!!! I want to use the Yamaha's for highs and continue to run the EV's Full range!!! Those things pound!!! Any suggetions are welcomed!!!!
mixologist45 1:13 PM - 28 September, 2005
i got old school stuff....same like the music we play

2x cerwin vega dual 15" three way full range cabnets (ten years plus)
1x piece of krap monitor
1x QSC 2850 amp (800watts)
1x BBE sonic maximizer (a must)
1x hand me down no name amp (for monitor)
techs and 54i setup W/447s
1x beringer 6 chan. mixing board ($95 baby)haha
shure mic (never rock a cordless, nor stand applaud-less)
and 1,000,000,000 songs only me and my friends like.
but it does rock 5000 SF easy and nice. packed with people (for the first hour untill they figure out they aint gonna hear "my humps") hahaha
serious, this system has lots of hours on it and has never failed. jinx
s42000 4:21 PM - 8 August, 2006
Quote:
My ex roommate left his Carvin 832 monitors in my garage. Well it's been 2 years now, so I consider them mine now(unless he comes lookin) Being a newb, I don't know much about DJ speakers, does anybody have any experience with Carvins? Thanks.

^^^ What he asked ..
anyone familiar with CARVIN gear ? Mostly Speakers and Amps ?
www.carvin.com
hologram 8:12 PM - 8 August, 2006
I use to buy all Carvin back int he mid 80s. Was good stuff for the price. Just don;t push it too hard and get a good EQ, YOu'll need it.

Of all my junk the rig I'm happiest with is my QSC at the moment.

1 DBX drive rack PA with RTA Mic runnign full range.
2 HPR181W 18" Powered Subwoofer
www.qsc.com

2 HPR153F 15" 3-way Powered Loudspeaker
www.qsc.com

Biggest I've done so far is about 500 people with no problems.
I have the hipass 100hz filter turned on on the top most of the time. Letting the tops go down full range usually produces a bit too much bass for some of the stuff I do.
DjLeopard 6:44 AM - 9 February, 2011
Hey guys! I'm speaker retarded! Right now I have the B-52 Matrix 1000v2 setup and its awesome for 150-300 people, after that, it sucks. I'm starting to do more proms and dances in gyms with 600+ kids, (last year we had 900 at prom) What do you guys suggest for a mobile ( light) and easy set up!? I want to hear the set up builds you would have! Both cheap($1,500) and expensive($5,000) All of this has to fit in the back of a 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV. Oh and also, keep in mind, maybe I could use the sub I have as well and incorporate it with more speakers or something? Let me know! thanks guys!
latindj 7:08 AM - 9 February, 2011
^you don't do sound for 900 out of a cadillac escalade...IMO.
latindj 7:09 AM - 9 February, 2011
especially not for $1500-5000....
ta2423 8:49 AM - 9 February, 2011
Rent it, have it delivered and there you go. Hopefully youre getting paid good to entertain 900 peeps. Schools pay real good so tack on extra for that expense.
Discobee 7:27 PM - 9 February, 2011
IMO if you want big bass for that big of a crowd, farming out (sub-contract) to a sound company is probably best. Like latindj said, you don't do sound for that many out of a SUV. Even two hug subs and 4 tops will get drowned out by the size of the crowd.
DjLeopard 8:55 PM - 9 February, 2011
I've seen DJ's do it before, Some JBL Srx's did the job extremely well!!
DJ metaphor 9:21 PM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
I use AKG wireless transmitters for my systems, so all I need is access to power points close to each speaker.

Can you elaborate? I'd be interested in this.
Discobee 9:42 PM - 9 February, 2011
^^I think he means that the front of room (main) speakers are wired coming out of the mixer...but additional speakers on the side or back of the room are wirelessly transmitted with the AKG transmitter.

One of the mixer outs is connected to the transmitter...and each powered speaker has a receiver connected to them, therefore no XLRs going across the floor to the secondary speakers.
latindj 12:22 AM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
I've seen DJ's do it before, Some JBL Srx's did the job extremely well!!

perhaps, but not within his budget...
DjLeopard 2:01 AM - 10 February, 2011
Well thanks for all the help guys
DJ metaphor 3:05 AM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
^^I think he means that the front of room (main) speakers are wired coming out of the mixer...but additional speakers on the side or back of the room are wirelessly transmitted with the AKG transmitter.

One of the mixer outs is connected to the transmitter...and each powered speaker has a receiver connected to them, therefore no XLRs going across the floor to the secondary speakers.

that would be freakin awesome man! but I can't find any of the products discribed on their website.
Discobee 4:12 AM - 10 February, 2011
Since the recent FCC changes to UHF frequencies, alot of the 600-700MHZ wireless transmitters became discontinued, I think that is why you can't find one for AKG.

I use this myself at some gigs: compare.ebay.com*F%3F&GUID=2e2c6fab12b0a0814c71cda1ffcf608b&itemid=200569821128&ff4=263602_304662

It works great, but I've only used it for wedding gigs in a ballroom where there's about 200-250 people. One thing to remember about these wireless gadgets (at least with the Vocopro) is that you have to have the transmitter kind of high up, because of line-of-sight to the receivers. If you just set it on a table or rack, once the room fills with people, the audio will get all scratchy and interferes.
latindj 4:26 AM - 10 February, 2011
yeah but isn't vocopro the american audio equivalent as far as quality?
Discobee 4:47 AM - 10 February, 2011
Vocopro is definitely not top tier gear (except if you're into karaoke), but since the FCC rule changes, they were one of the few companies that still made wireless transmitters for powered speakers, so I didn't have much choice. So far so good though. All except for the one gig where I learned about the interference, it's never given me any problems.
latindj 7:00 AM - 10 February, 2011
cool. might have to check that out as an option for certain venues...
DJ metaphor 5:41 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
FCC changes to UHF frequencies, alot of the 600-700MHZ wireless transmitters became discontinued,

those bastards.... why did they change the regulations?
Discobee 6:10 PM - 10 February, 2011
^^Because that band of UHF frequencies went strictly to the digital TV conversion a couple of years ago. And I was mistaken, it's the 700MHZ range, specifically 698-806MHZ.

www.fcc.gov
DJ Dac 6:36 PM - 10 February, 2011
i think i remember seeing at GC a sign over the Mic cases saying that after a certain date,(some time in 2010) if your using the old frequency's and it causes interference that you can be fined by the fcc, I'm sure this would be more of a worry in a permanent install, since a mobile is in and out in a few hours....
Logisticalstyles 7:36 PM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
^^Because that band of UHF frequencies went strictly to the digital TV conversion a couple of years ago. And I was mistaken, it's the 700MHZ range, specifically 698-806MHZ.

www.fcc.gov

It went to emergency services. You really don't want an APB being broadcast during the exchanging of the vows.
Discobee 7:39 PM - 10 February, 2011
^^Yes you're right
DouggyFresh 9:45 PM - 10 February, 2011
Is that why the Audiotechnica mic I pulled out of my case I haven't used in a few months all of a sudden just plays loud static when the mic itself is turned off? It's just one of those single channel cheap ones..
DJGEL415 9:34 PM - 30 March, 2011
Here is my setup

2x Mackie SRM-450 (Made in Italy)
2x Mackie SA1521z
2x Mackie SWA 1501
2x JBL EON G2 (10inch)
1x Mackie8-Channel 802-VLZ3
2x Pioneer CDJ-800MKII
1x Pioneer DJM-909
1x MacBook Pro (13inch)
1x Crane Laptop Stand with Tray
1x SL3
Everything hooked up with Monster Cables
DJ GaFFle 10:23 PM - 30 March, 2011
Here's mine:

2x EV QRX 212/75
2x EV ZXa5
2x Danley Soundlabs TH-118
1x Crown MA12000i - 4500W /ch
1x EV CP3000s - 1200W /ch
1x EV DC-One - sound processor

I'm working on a 3rd sub and another MA12000i to drive it. With my current setup, minus the ZXa5's, I think I can comfortably do a 700 person event inside. I did a 700 person event w/only the ZXa5's and TH-118s but the tops were struggling to keep up with the subs and crowd.
JDforKing 11:40 PM - 30 March, 2011
Here's my setup

2x Qsc k10s
1x Qsc k8
2x Jbl prx 718s
2x cdj 350s
1 ttm 57sl
2x Numark v7
1 Numark X5
2 technic 1200s mk2
1x Macbook Pro 13in

Im looking into getting some tops to replace my k10s (my jbl prx 612, rcf 312a, or the new Electro-Voice ELX112P). Or maybe even get two more k10s. Chime in if you have any suggestions. I have some large gigs coming up and feel the need to upgrade.
JDforKing 11:41 PM - 30 March, 2011
Quote:
Here's my setup

2x Qsc k10s
1x Qsc k8
2x Jbl prx 718s
2x cdj 350s
1 ttm 57sl
2x Numark v7
1 Numark X5
2 technic 1200s mk2
1x Macbook Pro 13in

Im looking into getting some tops to replace my k10s (my jbl prx 612, rcf 312a, or the new Electro-Voice ELX112P). Or maybe even get two more k10s. Chime in if you have any suggestions. I have some large gigs coming up and feel the need to upgrade.

The qsc k8 is used as a monitor.
DJ Fez 1:11 AM - 31 March, 2011
I have a question.

without trying to be confusing. I am doing an event for 250 next month in a restaurant. the place has a huge bar in the middle of the first floor and then big staircases and a mezzanine level upstairs. very high ceilings. mezzanine is maybe 20-30 ft above ground level.

They said they want me set up on the second (mezzanine floor) and will clear it out for dance space. but i also want music downstairs as well obviously. Whats the best way to work this out? I am thinking 2 QSC K12s and a sub upstairs with me, and then two Mackie SRM450s and another sub downstairs...do I just run long XLR's from up to down? Are the wireless solutions possible? Do i run downstairs through master and upstairs through booth or can i daisy chain?

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm a bit lost myself with the random setup of this spot.
pdidy 2:01 AM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
I have a question.

without trying to be confusing. I am doing an event for 250 next month in a restaurant. the place has a huge bar in the middle of the first floor and then big staircases and a mezzanine level upstairs. very high ceilings. mezzanine is maybe 20-30 ft above ground level.

They said they want me set up on the second (mezzanine floor) and will clear it out for dance space. but i also want music downstairs as well obviously. Whats the best way to work this out? I am thinking 2 QSC K12s and a sub upstairs with me, and then two Mackie SRM450s and another sub downstairs...do I just run long XLR's from up to down? Are the wireless solutions possible? Do i run downstairs through master and upstairs through booth or can i daisy chain?

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm a bit lost myself with the random setup of this spot.

There are simply too many variables here for anyone that has not seen the place to give you an educated answer. That being said, run your floor on master an remote floor on booth.
Dj K.Smith 2:11 AM - 31 March, 2011
2) QSC K 8'S
2) QSC K 12'S
2) QSC KW 181'S

Working on trying to get some JBL 625's or the KW 153's... I want some 15's to round out my system then I'll know based on the majority of events I do I'll be well equipped for sound...
pdidy 2:32 AM - 31 March, 2011
6 yorkville NX-750s Powered tops , $800ea, 750wats program each
6 yorkville LS-801 powered subs , $1200ea, 1500wats program each
2 EV ZXA5 powered tops, $1300ea, 1250wats each
Crowd capacity approx. 800-900 indoors
Pros) 1.Will handle most any mobile gig at loud volumes.
2. System can be split up to do 3 or more gigs at same time.
3. easy setup
4. rental income
Cons) 1.Heavy, large speakers
2. need van
pdidy 2:41 AM - 31 March, 2011
Rane SL57
Rane SL1
Serato Itch VCI-300
2 Tech 1200
2 Pioneer 1000mk3
Macbook Pro
Macbook
Sennheiser HD 25 II
Korg Nano Pad
Denon HC 1000
sacrilicious 4:01 AM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
Rane SL57
Rane SL1
Serato Itch VCI-300
2 Tech 1200
2 Pioneer 1000mk3
Macbook Pro
Macbook
Sennheiser HD 25 II
Korg Nano Pad
Denon HC 1000

...so, no speakers or amps?
DJ GaFFle 9:20 AM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
6 yorkville NX-750s Powered tops , $800ea, 750wats program each
6 yorkville LS-801 powered subs , $1200ea, 1500wats program each
2 EV ZXA5 powered tops, $1300ea, 1250wats each
Crowd capacity approx. 800-900 indoors
Pros) 1.Will handle most any mobile gig at loud volumes.
2. System can be split up to do 3 or more gigs at same time.
3. easy setup
4. rental income
Cons) 1.Heavy, large speakers
2. need van

PDidy, you can get all this stuff in 1 van?

Lots of sound people know the power of an LS80xP so do you get people wanting to rent your speakers very often? How do you feel when renting them out from a 'they better not tear up my issh' perspective?
pdidy 3:56 PM - 31 March, 2011
Yes sir, a 12 ft cargo van but u need to no how to pack it an a lil more man power.

I no alot of djs an most of my rentals are to djs ive known a long time. Most no the system an can be trusted alone but some are careless an i will always go or send a lookout to there gig. Im not concerned about damage because i make it very clear to them that they will pay for it even if it costs me nothing. all my subs are under yorkvilles no fault warranty even if u brake it , its fixed for free.
DJ TOGTFO 4:22 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
Rent it, have it delivered and there you go. Hopefully youre getting paid good to entertain 900 peeps. Schools pay real good so tack on extra for that expense.
latindj 4:47 PM - 31 March, 2011
so now he's got a comprehensive list of where to start looting...lol!
DJ GaFFle 10:06 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
so now he's got a comprehensive list of where to start looting...lol!

If you must start looting, I must start shooting... :-)
JDforKing 11:56 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
2) QSC K 8'S
2) QSC K 12'S
2) QSC KW 181'S

Working on trying to get some JBL 625's or the KW 153's... I want some 15's to round out my system then I'll know based on the majority of events I do I'll be well equipped for sound...

Have you ever run all of this set up at once. If so , what size crowd do you think it would be able to work for.
DJ GaFFle 1:40 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

2) QSC K 8'S
2) QSC K 12'S
2) QSC KW 181'S

Have you ever run all of this set up at once. If so , what size crowd do you think it would be able to work for.

My thoughts would be he should invest in more subs if he's itching to step up crowd size... at least 1 more sub. Those 4 tops would provide all the coverage and the extra bass would handle the crowd size increase.
JDforKing 5:13 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

2) QSC K 8'S
2) QSC K 12'S
2) QSC KW 181'S

My thoughts would be he should invest in more subs if he's itching to step up crowd size... at least 1 more sub. Those 4 tops would provide all the coverage and the extra bass would handle the crowd size increase.

Would all the speaker be in ext sub mode if all were used at the same time, and would there be a difference in the k8 and k12 if they were run in ext sub mode. Im assuming the volume would all be the same for each.
Dj D-on-the-go 7:06 PM - 30 August, 2011
I'm just getting started in this Dj magic world. So far my set up consist of:

2x Sl1200 MK2 Black
1x DJM-400
1x Dell 8gb ram
2x Mackies Th-15a
1X SRM 1801
and of course SSL1

I did couple house parties and I didn't even need the sub...how big of a crowd this set up would be good for as is right now? I thought about picking up another pair of th-15a because they're light and portable and just getting a bigger sub for higher bass.

Thanks guys
jmlbrns45 12:52 AM - 25 October, 2011
Here's my specs of my DJ setup

2x Stanton STR8-150s
1x Behringer DDM4000
1x Sony VAIO Laptop 4GB RAM
1x 1TB External Hard Drive
1x SSL1 but am working on upgrading to SL3
2x QSC K12s (tops)
2x QSC KW181s (bottoms)

I don't really use the KW181s at house parties because the QSC K12s sound really good, especially in a nice sized basement.

DJ Mal J
jmlbrns45 12:53 AM - 25 October, 2011
only use the KW181 subs at medium-large sized venues
Dj Ace 5:07 AM - 25 October, 2011
for 500 to 600 kids i use 4 jbl srx 718's and two jbl 722's (...and its PLENTY loud!
DJ TopDawg 9:59 PM - 8 March, 2012
Would I be able to DJ a small dance of about 80-110 people? I have 2 Technical Pro Power-1001 speakers with a mixage IE Software Controller and a Dell Inspiron 15R with 3gb memory, 283gb hard drive, and an Intel i3 processor. And how big of a party would I be able to do with two 1400 watt speakers and my current ones?
DJ Reflex 11:57 PM - 8 March, 2012
Got 4 Mackie SRM-450s and a pair of QSC 18" powered subs. Good enough for about 500-700 kids in a gym. I usually only use half of this for weddings and such.

I see all kinds of set-ups listed. I do have to agree that sub woofers are essential. I used to use the BOSE 802 system with sub. Sounded nice, but lacked the bass punch that the younin's want these days. Also adds more dynamics to your music without having to tax your main drivers for the low end.
pdidy 1:53 AM - 9 March, 2012
Quote:
Would I be able to DJ a small dance of about 80-110 people? I have 2 Technical Pro Power-1001 speakers with a mixage IE Software Controller and a Dell Inspiron 15R with 3gb memory, 283gb hard drive, and an Intel i3 processor. And how big of a party would I be able to do with two 1400 watt speakers and my current ones?

So would you like the bad news first or the worst than bad new ?
LaDjkaoz 1:53 AM - 3 July, 2012
LOL
shoping for gear is alwyas a headache...
rememer is always better to have more and been short on power..
latindj 3:26 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

So would you like the bad news first or the worst than bad new ?

I think you should give him the inevitable horrible news...
dj_soo 3:57 AM - 3 July, 2012
2 qsc k12s, 2 yorkville NX720Ss, and a Yorkville CX80P as a monitor or satellite. Good for up to a 300 person wedding or about 150 for a small dance party. For bigger dance parties, i'll rent a ls801p or two and some more tops... And either use the qscs as tops or monitors...
Taipanic 7:33 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Here's mine:

2x EV QRX 212/75
2x EV ZXa5

I'm working on a 3rd sub and another MA12000i to drive it. With my current setup, minus the ZXa5's, I think I can comfortably do a 700 person event inside. I did a 700 person event w/only the ZXa5's and TH-118s but the tops were struggling to keep up with the subs and crowd.

Gaffle,

Do you have any power issues running the big amp? My biggest concern in getting the Danleys is having the power stay on while giving them the power they need...

Thx
Taipanic 7:45 PM - 3 July, 2012
Current Setup:
2 EV SX200
1 Yorkville LS801p
1 Crown XLS402
1 Korg Zero4
2 Denon HS5500
1 17" MacBook Pro
1 Rane SL3
1 Korg NanoKontrol
1 Denon HC1000s
1 Line 6 XDV70 Wireless Mic
1 Sure SM58 Beta Mic
1 Pioneer HDJ-2000 Headhones
2 Mackie MR8 monitors
sixxx 7:46 PM - 3 July, 2012
2 PRX512's
2 PRX515's
1 PRX518

I always contemplated getting another PRX518, PRX718 (or any of the newer PRX models available), but never really had the use for it.

No issues whatsoever with any of those speakers so I won't be upgrading anytime soon. Specially since they look brand new after years of use (I keep them covered all the time and an indoor air conditioned facility.)
MusicMeister 8:46 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Just wondering what sort of gear you mobile DJ's have. Please specify specs (how many watts etc) and what was the largest room you have been able to cater for. Pros, cons, how much you paid, features etc

For a wedding ceremony I figure 1-2 watts per person as a starting point. Standard events 4-5 watts per person. School dances and other 'club' style events (where I'm creating a mobile nightclub feel) I spec individually and ignore my 'starting point'.

My 'normal' wedding rig is 2 Bose L1's w/ 4 B1's. I supplement with a 10" sub until I cooked it on New Year's Eve last year. Let's just say it still hasn't come out of thermal protection. 0.o The Bose are 750 watts per side but because they're a cylindrical line array the physics provides better coverage and throw than a 'standard' speaker. It's physics, not magic. ;)

I also have 2 Behringer 212a's (400 watts each), 2 Behringer 212d's (550 watts each), 2 Behringer 208D's (200 Watts each), a Samson Expedition (40 watts), a Fender Passport PD250 (250 watts), and 2 Community 18" subs powered with a Mac Alto amp pushing about 1400 watts bridged into the pair.

As a general rule my pricing is based on my talent, not my gear. My clients don't care if I bring the Behringer's or the Bose - as long as it gets the job done.

With my current set up I would feel comfortable doing a 1000-1500 person school dance if I added a couple more subs - preferably folded horns.

For a typical wedding of up to 400-500 people I've been ok with just the 2 Bose rigs. For smaller events in the 200 person range I can do 2 Behringers, or even a single Bose rig.

But each person is different. I do mostly weddings... so my requirements are different than for a house party.
DJ GaFFle 12:29 AM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Here's mine:

2x EV QRX 212/75
2x EV ZXa5

Gaffle,

Do you have any power issues running the big amp? My biggest concern in getting the Danleys is having the power stay on while giving them the power they need...

Thx

I've sense added a 3td Danley sub and another EV CP3000S to drive it. I have to insure the Crown MA12000i is on its own 20amp circuit. If the venue has a 30+ amp distro, that's even better
DJ GaFFle 12:31 AM - 4 July, 2012
Sense = since
LaDjkaoz 2:41 AM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's mine:

2x EV QRX 212/75

2x EV ZXa5

Gaffle,

Thx

I've sense added a 3td Danley sub and another EV CP3000S to drive it. I have to insure the Crown MA12000i is on its own 20amp circuit. If the venue has a 30+ amp distro, that's even better

Some of us like to do it concert style uh...
I made distro with 4 20amp breaker my itech draws a bit more of 20amps but once is see the amp meter peak 20 I lower the gain a bit. but is awsome when you have crow jumping and those sub pounding... and shaking the entire place....
DJ Reflex 2:48 AM - 4 July, 2012
Nice, but I usually only get a single 15 amp breaker... that always has something else plugged n like a soda machine or a coffee maker. I never get the power I need - and I'm only running a pair of Mackie SRM450's and a QSC 18" sub. Oh yeah, and a couple LED lights.

I have another pair of tops and a second sub as well. I only use them at larger events and high school dances. Then I HAVE to have more power. I always have to bribe, swindle, or torture a janitor to tell me where the outlets are and what circuits they run. Takes more time to find power than it does to set up all my stuff sometimes!
LaDjkaoz 2:52 AM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

For a wedding ceremony I figure 1-2 watts per person as a starting point. Standard events 4-5 watts per person. School dances and other 'club' style events (where I'm creating a mobile nightclub feel) I spec individually and ignore my 'starting point'.

My 'normal' wedding rig is 2 Bose L1's w/ 4 B1's. I supplement with a 10" sub until I cooked it on New Year's Eve last year. Let's just say it still hasn't come out of thermal protection. 0.o The Bose are 750 watts per side but because they're a cylindrical line array the physics provides better coverage and throw than a 'standard' speaker. It's physics, not magic. ;)

I also have 2 Behringer 212a's (400 watts each), 2 Behringer 212d's (550 watts each), 2 Behringer 208D's (200 Watts each), a Samson Expedition (40 watts), a Fender Passport PD250 (250 watts), and 2 Community 18" subs powered with a Mac Alto amp pushing about 1400 watts bridged into the pair.

As a general rule my pricing is based on my talent, not my gear. My clients don't care if I bring the Behringer's or the Bose - as long as it gets the job done.

With my current set up I would feel comfortable doing a 1000-1500 person school dance if I added a couple more subs - preferably folded horns.

For a typical wedding of up to 400-500 people I've been ok with just the 2 Bose rigs. For smaller events in the 200 person range I can do 2 Behringers, or even a single Bose rig.

But each person is different. I do mostly weddings... so my requirements are different than for a house party.

lol i hear you
I had a pair of bose LT1s no sub modules... instead jbls srx4718x and crown K2. yes the sound and coverage is great but some crows are louder than others, i did a couple of wedding about 200-400 people, sometimes I woldnt have to drive them into clip.
then I did this sweet 15 about 120 people max those kids were so loud i drove the LT1 into clip all nigth. then I decide to give up bose and went with jbl VRXs
LaDjkaoz 3:01 AM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
2) QSC K 8'S

2) QSC K 12'S

2) QSC KW 181'S

dude those k12 aand subs kick rear end bad..... I been alternating with bands using a apair of k12 ans a pair of subs.. the sound is good... and system is super compact... yeat again wish QSC would make a 3 way k15... so no need to carry those dual12 subs...
Solidsnake 3:53 AM - 4 July, 2012
Took a chance with the EV powered speakers and loving them so far... Have a pair of Mackie SRM-350's paired with a Mackie SWA1801z sub for the longest time, decided to get more into the mobile market but came to find that Mackie is not producing the same quality they were a few years ago, went with 2 EV ELX115P tops and 2 EV ELX118P bottoms. Loving the EV's and the 2 tops alone can handle most mobile gigs.
Taipanic 9:45 PM - 4 July, 2012
Cool, thanks for the responses, Gaffle & Kaoz. I don't know much about using a distro, still have research to do on that. Luckily, with the system I am currently running, I haven't had any power issues - even running the full system on a single 15 amp circuit.
ancientyouth 3:11 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Here's mine:

2x EV QRX 212/75
2x EV ZXa5

Gaffle,

Thx

A common misconception is that when you have too many amps on one circuit, blowing the circuit is when you "overload" a circuit..... The reality is if you blow a circuit that has only amps on it, you are grossly underpowering your amps.......the amps will simply clip alot easier than normal when underpowered, blowing circuits is way beyond underpowered..
ancientyouth 3:31 AM - 5 July, 2012
12 Void Audio Stasys Psycho (18 folded horn) 3500 each. 6 Void Audio Stasys Prime (dual 15 - bandpass top) 6500 each. 2 powesoft k10 amp (10k) 6300 each. 2 qsc pl380 2400 each 2 qsc pl340 1400 each 2 xilica speaker processors 1100 each 3 dual 60 amp motion labs power distro 700 each
Monitors and small sytem: 2 VOID Stasys X (dual 18 folded horn) 5500 each 2 Void Airmotion tops 6700 each 2 Void Amps(4k) 4000 each

Downside need a large boxtruck/trailer (20 ft minimum), getting commercial insurance/passing DOT inspections sucks, motor carrier permit also sucks...... All the subs are around 40" tall (when on wheels) so options are very limited for smaller events ( i take a 20 ft freightliner for 2 subs and 2 tops seems like an overkill
pdidy 4:42 AM - 5 July, 2012
Umm pictures would be nice.
ancientyouth 6:08 PM - 5 July, 2012
Ill post some links soon
MusicMeister 2:33 AM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol i hear you
I had a pair of bose LT1s no sub modules... instead jbls srx4718x and crown K2. yes the sound and coverage is great but some crows are louder than others, i did a couple of wedding about 200-400 people, sometimes I woldnt have to drive them into clip.
then I did this sweet 15 about 120 people max those kids were so loud i drove the LT1 into clip all nigth. then I decide to give up bose and went with jbl VRXs

That's really strange.

I did an event on Bourbon Street in New Orleans on New Year's Eve. I was pushing 108dB+ (A weighted) for hours with 2 Bose L1's with a total of 4 B1's. BTW, those readings were taken from across the room. ;) And yes, I was wearing ear plugs all night. :)
DJ Reflex 3:27 AM - 6 July, 2012
I used to have the Bose 802 system (two 802 tops and a 502 BP sub). Was a great sounding system, but lacked the bass "punch" that is needed for club stuff. I added a second sub, but for the amount of gear I had to use, my powered speakers and QSC sub offer more power.
pdidy 4:02 PM - 6 July, 2012
bose=wedding dj
DJ EZSMOOTH 7:37 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
bose=wedding dj

Pretty much nailed it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bose but I would laugh in someones face if they tried to pull off a decent sized school event with it.
MusicMeister 8:58 PM - 6 July, 2012
They work well as tops for a school event if you put them on a stage. But you DEFINITELY need some bottom end. It's what we've done in the past - Bose L1's on stage for tops, then use 18" folded horn or conventional subs for all the bottom end. The Bose on a short stage 3'-4'gives better coverage for the highs/mids than anything else we've tried short of flying an array.
audiodepot101 10:06 PM - 6 July, 2012
Just started this summer, this is where Im at: Denon SC3900 X 2
Denon Dn X900
Mackie S408 X 2
JBL PRX618S-XLF
Adcom GFA 555II X 2 650watts@ 8ohm
ran mono one for ea S408
Sounds very nice for small Gigs, amazing SQ

This is where Im going: Rane Mp26
Denon SC3900 /X 2
Yorkville LS801P / X 2
JBL VRX 918SP One to replace the PRX for small gigs
QSC PL340 for the S408's to replace the Adcoms

That should be a rap for the things that I do.
DJ EZSMOOTH 2:13 AM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
The Bose on a short stage 3'-4'gives better coverage for the highs/mids than anything else we've tried short of flying an array.

I'd love to put it head to head with the rig we use for high school homecomings (3000+ kids)

6 QSC KW152's and 6 QSC KW181's on a 4 ft stage

Oh and this isn't a fly array system. Ground Stacked.
Papa Midnight 3:05 AM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
bose=wedding dj

Pretty much nailed it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bose but I would laugh in someones face if they tried to pull off a decent sized school event with it.

int.na.tl

Quote:
Quote:
The Bose on a short stage 3'-4'gives better coverage for the highs/mids than anything else we've tried short of flying an array.

I'd love to put it head to head with the rig we use for high school homecomings (3000+ kids)

int.na.tl
pdidy 4:08 AM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

you no what , ima go out on a limb and say that wont be necessary....I think we can take your word for it....lol
DJ Reflex 4:37 AM - 7 July, 2012
Been to Crobar in Chicago and A-5 in Germany with a wall of subs. The bass was intense, but the mids and highs were screechy. It hurt after a while.

Bose provides great sound quality without ear fatigue. There are no crossover points for the full range speakers and the subs are matched via the dedicated controller. I was at club in Cancun that used the Bose bass cannon (16 ft tube) and it thumped! One of the best sounding clubs I've heard.

BUT - it was a small venue and the tube was acoustically matched for the size and parameters of the club. You would never get that sound in a gym or in any other large area. There is no doubt that a small line array (DJ EZSmooth's system) will smack the Bose system out of the running, but you can't argue the quality sound coming from a properly tuned Bose system.
pdidy 10:45 AM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
Been to Crobar in Chicago and A-5 in Germany with a wall of subs. The bass was intense, but the mids and highs were screechy. It hurt after a while.

hey......eveybody does not no how to run a system.
Quote:
Bose provides great sound quality without ear fatigue.

that may be true but were im from its called.....FIRE THE SOUND GUY.
pdidy 11:13 AM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
but you can't argue the quality sound coming from a properly tuned Bose system.

not true because.......
when it comes to pro audio........by the standards of REAL PRO's . Bose is considered BULLSHIT.....

True story.....

That being said, I like bose because it has its purposes.
Papa Midnight 1:14 PM - 7 July, 2012
In the pro audio/visual industry, we have a saying about Bose: "No Highs, No Lows? Must be Bose."
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:53 PM - 7 July, 2012
Bose bashing again :( smh
Solidsnake 9:05 PM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
In the pro audio/visual industry, we have a saying about Bose: "No Highs, No Lows? Must be Bose."

Being a Home Theater guy, you see this all over the AV forums. Bose is more marketing than actual sound engineering and it is the honest truth. Movie theaters normally use Klipsch, because the horn style speakers are amazing for spoken word, among other brands to round out the system, but you would be hard pressed to ever see a full on BOSE Movie Theater.

If you are a Home Theater guy... take a look at SVS and what their subwoofers can do. Every time I do an install I go with SVS, and every time I speak to them I say they should get into the PA audio world, I would jump ship in a heartbeat if they ever did.
Papa Midnight 10:19 PM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
Bose bashing again :( smh

Quote:
Quote:

Being a Home Theater guy, you see this all over the AV forums. Bose is more marketing than actual sound engineering and it is the honest truth. Movie theaters normally use Klipsch, because the horn style speakers are amazing for spoken word, among other brands to round out the system, but you would be hard pressed to ever see a full on BOSE Movie Theater.

Indeed.
I, myself, drop by the AVS forums every once in a while as well.
Also, DJ_X_Trodinaire, I hate to tell you this but I'll start to give BOSE serious consideration when they stop using paper as material for speakers (Oh, I'm very serious on this one) and design a speaker system that I can't beat with a $200 HITB because it tops at a maximum frequency response of 14KHz and leaves a ~200Hz frequency gap between it's "Bass" unit and the the satellite speakers.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, their line-array systems only top out between 14KHz and 16KHz (can't recall which specific models). The guitar center's in my area do their best to PREVENT people from buying them.
DJ Reflex 10:32 PM - 7 July, 2012
Topping out at 14-16 kHz is what Bose is known for. The saying "No highs, no lows... must be Bose" stems from their frequency cut-offs much lower than 20,000 Hz. Truth be told, no one older than 25 can hear those tones anyway! I do a frequency test in my classroom with 8th graders and they all tell me that they can hear 19, 20, even 20.5 kHz frequencies. Hence those ring tones that only kids can hear, but not adults. I top out at about 14 kHz. Most of the adult teachers that have taken the test range from 11kHz up to about 15kHz. (Women typically higher than men.) Also, not much music out there is using the upper range of human hearing anyway. Bose's argument is - Why waste the effort producing sounds that are a) not contained within most music anyway and b) too high for the average adult to hear?
As far as the bass is concerned, true, Bose will not produce any chest-thumping sound waves with any of its subwoofers. It's the fullness, dynamics, and large coverage that they are after - not the concert level shockwaves that we need at large parties.
Stick with a folded horn or a front loaded sub and you'll beat the air down to 30 Hz. Bose won't do it.
DJ EZSMOOTH 10:59 PM - 7 July, 2012
I really wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was just arguing the statement that Bose is 'the true audio leader' and has the BEST high and mid coverage.

Let me guess. You use Beats by Dre?
Papa Midnight 12:42 AM - 8 July, 2012
Quote:
I really wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was just arguing the statement that Bose is 'the true audio leader' and has the BEST high and mid coverage.

Let me guess. You use Beats by Dre?

Another crappy product that's overrated beyond it's worth... and ironically happens to be manufactured and sold by Monster Cable.

Quote:
Topping out at 14-16 kHz is what Bose is known for. The saying "No highs, no lows... must be Bose" stems from their frequency cut-offs much lower than 20,000 Hz. Truth be told, no one older than 25 can hear those tones anyway! I do a frequency test in my classroom with 8th graders and they all tell me that they can hear 19, 20, even 20.5 kHz frequencies. Hence those ring tones that only kids can hear, but not adults. I top out at about 14 kHz. Most of the adult teachers that have taken the test range from 11kHz up to about 15kHz. (Women typically higher than men.) Also, not much music out there is using the upper range of human hearing anyway. Bose's argument is - Why waste the effort producing sounds that are a) not contained within most music anyway and b) too high for the average adult to hear?

I've been lucky enough to protect and retain most of my hearing. At last check, I was good up to 21KHz. I also listen, on my own time, to a lot of different genre's of music including much in the way of classical and orchestral which does commonly get into that range. Bose, to point, still cannot accurately reproduce that.

Also, it's funny you mention the special ring tones. A lot of places are employing the 17.4KHz, annoying as hell, so-called "Mosquito" tone to keep younger people away from certain areas after certain times of the day.

Since we're on the subject of hearing loss, I suggest every DJ here see's "It's All Gone Pete Tong". I don't care if you play mobile, clubs, basements, or your bedroom, any DJ - scratch that, any musician should see this mockumentary. Protect your hearing. Hell, I don't even go to clubs without in-ear headphones or ear plugs. When I dj, I wear them underneath my own cans. Protect your hearing.
Solidsnake 12:45 AM - 8 July, 2012
What ear plugs would you recommend under the cans the ones I use for concerts ad before/after my sets stick out too far to use with headphones
DJ Reflex 2:38 AM - 8 July, 2012
LOL DJ EZ SMooth - if you were referring to me... no, I don't have Beats headphones. :)

Papa Midnight - Impressive that you can still hear that well. Interesting concept with the high frequencies designed to keep kids OUT. I might have to look into this myself...

I'm no Bose representative. I do, however like their dedication to the science behind sound. They also supplied me with a curriculum program a few years back to teach in my science class. (Doesn't make their speakers sound any better, but I though it was classy of them.) I also enjoyed Tony Andrew's video from Funktion One. I try my best to get good sound no matter what system I have. I've designed and built several of my own speaker cabinets. Some worked well and sounded good - others sounded like crap. I've learned a lot in the last 20 years about sound reproduction. I just try to get a handle on everyone's perspective (Bose, Funktion One, Yamaha, Mackie, JBL, etc. heck... even Behringer). I've even built my own Ruben's Tube for dancing fire effects! Can't use it anywhere but home and my classroom demonstrations, but it's awesome.
dj_soo 3:10 AM - 8 July, 2012
Quote:
ironically happens to be manufactured and sold by Monster Cable.

how is that ironic? Monster is pretty much the same - overpriced and overrated yet popular because tons of suckers fall for the marketing.
MusicMeister 4:58 AM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
What ear plugs would you recommend under the cans the ones I use for concerts ad before/after my sets stick out too far to use with headphones

I use Westone in ear custom molded plugs with 9dB inserts. ;)

As far as Bose L1's - the Model 1 runs:

40Hz to 12KHz within -3dB.
32Hz - 14KHz within -10dB.

They don't move enough air for you to 'feel' the bass though.

The thing is that the only real instrument that actually plays that high is a pipe organ, but there are harmonics that high from other instruments and some voices.
LaDjkaoz 3:07 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
ironically happens to be manufactured and sold by Monster Cable.

how is that ironic? Monster is pretty much the same - overpriced and overrated yet popular because tons of suckers fall for the market
Not sure if u had used moster products, I have from RCAs to speakers cables and they are wort. I olso make my own cables from time to time trust me moster cables is quality all around.
Then again I belive those beats headsets are a bit over rated, i rather get pioneers headphones($360)
ancientyouth 7:29 PM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:

s1260.photobucket.com

s1260.photobucket.com

s1260.photobucket.com

will have void air motions/stasys x set up as monitors soon
pdidy 9:32 PM - 10 August, 2012
very nice system, you dont see those much in the u.s.
djvtyme85 10:19 PM - 10 August, 2012
i hear everyone on the Dr Beats thing but for us hip hop heads they are perfect. As most us bass addicted animals lol...But headphones are like sneakers to me...in a few months i'll be buying another brand. As far as that deciding if a DJ knows good sound i'd say thats a stretch bc we all spend our money the silliest things. Think about it Dre Beats as the SUV of the DJ world
Papa Midnight 11:34 PM - 10 August, 2012
Beats are overrated, overpriced, and sound like crap.
Wait a sec, they're made by Monster Cable? It all makes sense now... :P
DJ Reflex 12:19 AM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
As far as that deciding if a DJ knows good sound i'd say thats a stretch bc we all spend our money the silliest things.

AND... we're all half deaf!
ancientyouth 2:04 AM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
very nice system, you dont see those much in the u.s.

Yes currently there are only 3 this size in the US
DJ GaFFle 4:40 AM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

s1260.photobucket.com

s1260.photobucket.com

s1260.photobucket.com

will have void air motions/stasys x set up as monitors soon

Some black Krylon would do those justice. How many people can that system accommodate? Where there a lot for that particular event?
ancientyouth 5:55 AM - 11 August, 2012
Outdoors 4-6000 people (120+db).... It was decent turnout but the event was very spreadout with 5 stages, they had a funktion 1 dance stack as the "main stage" , which was about 1/2 a mile away....total festival attendance prob around 1000.....Typical first year festival......
DJ GaFFle 1:33 PM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
Outdoors 4-6000 people (120+db).... It was decent turnout but the event was very spreadout with 5 stages, they had a funktion 1 dance stack as the "main stage" , which was about 1/2 a mile away....total festival attendance prob around 1000.....Typical first year festival......

Not sure if those are your speakers or if you own a sound company but when you perform at such gigs with that massive system, does that net you additional business alone from other promoters or do you have to advertise your services as a sound provider?
ancientyouth 2:01 PM - 11 August, 2012
Before i got this system i considered myself a dj, now my business is a sound company...... Yes the performance of the system attracts promoters for sound hire business, certainly not enough to fill my calendar, i will have to advertise to stay booked solid.
LaDjkaoz 2:00 AM - 2 March, 2013
what bottoms are those..
Dj R. Driver 5:15 PM - 2 March, 2013
Quote:

id give my left nut to play a 2hr set on that system
ancientyouth 1:50 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
what bottoms are those..

Void Acoustics - Stasys Psyco subs
DJ D23W 7:24 AM - 17 September, 2014
You guys ever do a very small gig with less than 30 people? you think using one 15 inch JBL EON 315 outdoors is enough?
pdidy 10:09 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
You guys ever do a very small gig with less than 30 people? you think using one 15 inch JBL EON 315 outdoors is enough?

its more than enough as long as you and the other people dont really care about sound quality.
Benewah Beats 8:53 PM - 17 September, 2014
My starter mobile rig is a pair of EV ZLX 12" powered tops and a ZXA1 Sub. Nice for small venues, sounds clean, easily portable. I plan to add to this with either a second sub or my first larger sub, along with at least one more ZLX 12" top. Eventually I'd like to have ETX 12" tops and 15" subs, with a long term goal of 4 ETX subs, 2 tops, and 5 ZLX tops(2 for fill and 3 for stage wedges) but that will be for doing live sound. For Mobile gigs in large venues and outdoors I'm looking at 2-4 tops and 2-4 subs, but hope to have a chance to hear the ETX soon and have a better idea of what the lineup is capable of. I'm new so take my .02 with a grain of salt.
pdidy 9:05 PM - 17 September, 2014
^^^Seems you have a well planned long term goal that will work great.
djvtyme85 2:39 PM - 18 September, 2014
the thing i like about the etx series is db processing is built in. thats a big plus for a mobile dj who isnt the most tech savvy and wants protection without carry an addition amp rack. right now i'm rebuilding my sound. last year i sold my pair of eon g2 15 tops and bottoms. i kept my pair of g2 10 tops for monitors and have been renting my homeboys zlx 15 tops or jbl prx 715 with yorkville subs for gigs. i dont too big of shows. i plan on starting with the live x 15 tops and adding a 15 pair of subs. when i do larger cabrets or bike parties i will rent the jbls and yorkies. but my dream is to invest in the etx line one by one over time. if business grows ill be sure to get em but the jbl prx are more my preference just so its up in the air on whats the better deal when the time comes...
Benewah Beats 1:39 AM - 19 September, 2014
thanks pdidy......
I'm trying to decide if I should add a second ZXA1 Sub at all, or just go straight to the 15" ETX Subs.... I'll be keeping the little guy around, just wondering if two would be better than a single larger sub. Next purchase will likely be a third ZLX 12" top, for backup and such. I wish EV would make a 15" ZLX series sub. Just thoughts at this point, but I love the EV speakers I have and will likely stay with EV. It will be a while before the starter system pays for it's self and earns an upgrade. Keep shining folks!
rayjthedj 1:01 PM - 19 September, 2014
I am a big EV guy, own a bunch of their active and passive stuff (though passive stuff is going away rapidly and being replaced by ETX).

I have four of the ETX15SP subs and the ETX12P tops. You might find it funny but, when I only use one or two of the subs, I use the ZLX12P tops. I find they balance very well with the subs. They are much easier to handle than the ETX12P tops (weight).

I run the sub in the live mode and crossed at 100 hz as I find it much nicer to listen to on those settings. I run the ZLX12P tops in live mode and crossed at 100 hz.

I took the casters off the ETX15SP subs, and it dropped the weight to around 86 lbs and I found the casters on the 15" sub to be more trouble than help, plus they are butt ugly being blue and stainless against a very beautiful made sub.

Don't get me wrong the ETX12P tops sound great, but they easily outrun less than four of the subs. Plus when crossed the ZLX12P tops are extremely smooth and stay that way even in limiting.
djvtyme85 1:08 AM - 20 September, 2014
Quote:
I am a big EV guy, own a bunch of their active and passive stuff (though passive stuff is going away rapidly and being replaced by ETX).

I have four of the ETX15SP subs and the ETX12P tops. You might find it funny but, when I only use one or two of the subs, I use the ZLX12P tops. I find they balance very well with the subs. They are much easier to handle than the ETX12P tops (weight).

I run the sub in the live mode and crossed at 100 hz as I find it much nicer to listen to on those settings. I run the ZLX12P tops in live mode and crossed at 100 hz.

I took the casters off the ETX15SP subs, and it dropped the weight to around 86 lbs and I found the casters on the 15" sub to be more trouble than help, plus they are butt ugly being blue and stainless against a very beautiful made sub.

Don't get me wrong the ETX12P tops sound great, but they easily outrun less than four of the subs. Plus when crossed the ZLX12P tops are extremely smooth and stay that way even in limiting.

thats some good info to have. i was considering the elx 115 with the etx 15 sub (due to my small budget) and i'm hoping they match up well. i've used the zlx 12s (4) with 2 yorkville subs and they sounded beautiful (crowd 250) in a long hall (wanted the music concentrated on the dance floor). so i figure the elx 115 with one etx 15 to start will be good for most of my gigs.
DJ NoNseNse 1:47 AM - 20 September, 2014
Music mode sounds better then live mode to me. An EV rep said the same thing.
rayjthedj 4:14 AM - 20 September, 2014
Quote:
Music mode sounds better then live mode to me. An EV rep said the same thing.

On the sub or on the tops? In testing I have found that the sub has more headroom and has a much tighter/less boom boom base in the live mode. The tops have less of that smiley face DJ curve in the live mode, the tops seem much smoother and balanced. But I have 53 year old ears and I flew helicopters for 27 of those years and drove drag cars for 30 of them.

When I balance a system for a church or for friends, they rave about the improvement in the sound so I can't be to far off, however everyone has their own sound, if you are talking the new computer generated stuff, then I can't begin to figure out how to make it sound good, as it has the classic, your about to blow your speakers, distortion sound built into the music as part of the song.

I just got home from doing a wedding tonight. I did a very small church gym (just under 100 people) with a pair of ZLX12Ps and a single ETX15SP, crossed at 100 hz and in the live mode, I played everything from smooth jazz, classic rock, funk, disco, classic country, modern country and hip hop. Received many comments on quality of the sound and proper volume. Many of those complements came from a group of band members (friends of the groom), who said they wished they could get their Peavey stuff to sound that good. They freaked out when I told them I had the smallest rig I use for dance events set up.
rayjthedj 4:58 AM - 21 September, 2014
Second gig report for the weekend. I did a HS Homecoming for a small private school. I have done this dance the last three years in the same room. We had 121 kids, there are 128 in HS, of course there were around a dozen kids from other schools, but still over 95% of the HS kids at the dance.

I used two ETX15SP subs and a pair of ZLX12P tops. I tried the subs on music mode instead of live mode as recommended above. When playing the kids music you do get more boom boom boom out of the subs on music mode. The tops did not sound as good matched to the subs on music mode, they were much better on live mode.

Last two years I did this dance with three EV-TourX 18" subs and a pair of ZX1 tops, powered by a EV-CP4000 amp and processed with an EV-DCONE. The two ETX15SP subs easily outperformed the previous sub set up, yes two 15" subs kicked three 18" subs butts, and the kids loved the sound.

I still like the sound of the ZX1 tops over the sound of the ZLX12P tops, but the ZLX sounded good and never hit the limiters with +3bd gain, while the subs were on -3db reduction (and they tickled the limiters on and off all night).

I really love my ETX subs!!
Joee 6:17 PM - 21 September, 2014
@rayjthedj

i just bought myself another rcf system evox 8, hopefully it will be better than my ev zxa1/zxa1 sub set up i used to own ---> imageshack.com

& fyi if you look at the other pics you can see i was i ev man from mic to speakers ,you can even see the sxa100+ in the bottom left corner………lol
Taipanic 2:34 PM - 22 September, 2014
Quote:
thanks pdidy......
I'm trying to decide if I should add a second ZXA1 Sub at all, or just go straight to the 15" ETX Subs.... I'll be keeping the little guy around, just wondering if two would be better than a single larger sub. Next purchase will likely be a third ZLX 12" top, for backup and such. I wish EV would make a 15" ZLX series sub. Just thoughts at this point, but I love the EV speakers I have and will likely stay with EV. It will be a while before the starter system pays for it's self and earns an upgrade. Keep shining folks!

The ZX1 subs are good for real small events. They over perform for their size and fill out the bottom nicely but don't bring a lot of boom or project very far. Moving up to the ETX subs will bring you better overall sound with it's higher SPL and further throw. I'd keep the ZX1 and pick up another when you can for smaller gigs/home studio/etc...
Benewah Beats 3:04 AM - 13 October, 2014
I really like the ZLX12P tops, great info above on them working well with the ETX15 subs. I will definitely be getting more ZLX12Ps and I'll likely get a second ZXA1 Sub as well, for smaller to small/medium gigs. I fantasize about the ETX but after adding up the total cost of a system such as mentioned above, I start to think that's out of my realm... 2x 12" tops, 4x15" subs...
This will of course take a good while longer than going with another line of speakers. The others I'm currently looking at are JBLPRX712 tops and the 15" or 18" subs, the 715xlf being nice and compact/light, but that also has me wondering. Also considering the EV ELX112P tops and ELX118P subs, but don't particularly like the back panel features on the ELX, I almost think I'd be better off with another pair of ZLX12P tops and a single ETX15SP after reading the posts above. The last consideration would be Mackie SRM550 Tops and SRM1850 Subs. With either setup I would imagine the eventual setup being 2 Tops with 4 Subs, along with possible side/center fills as necessary, such as a decent sized outdoor event with stage say 20ft. or more wide.
What do you guys think, are the Mackie SRM550/1850 worth looking into? Anyone able to compare for me, or give me advice on whether the ELX are much better than ZLX. Or even maybe stop by a shop and check out the SRMs and compare to the EVs? I'm hours away from a city where that would be possible.
The things I liked about the EVs when I auditioned them all a while back, was the warm full tonal qualities, nothing over the top on the lows, mids, or highs. They're nicely balanced and the highs aren't uncomfortable at all right up to limit. The JBL and QSC speakers I looked into back then, K series, Eons and 600s if I remember right, were a little harsh or overdone on the highs when cranked up a bit. The only Mackies they had that day were Thumps, the old ones, and they sounded muddy for lack of a better term. Shure they had more thump, but I had in mind that these were eventually mid/high cabs and I'm wanting good intelligible sound right up to full tilt.
Are the ELX line pretty much obsolete,(I don't like that the subs have only one input/output) given the DSP, I/O, etc. on the ZLX and the ETX, and I should just collect ETX one at a time? ... not just one man's dream I see... should I collect a fleet of ZLX12P and 15SP until I eventually have too much sub and need the ETX tops? OR... look into the others such as the PRX712 and 715XLF, or the SRM550/1850 combo. These would be lighter than the ETX subs and much easier to move about myself(mostly I'll be running solo). I wonder if four 715XLF would be enough for 500 people. The only places likely to have a crowd that size near me will be outdoors mostly, which has me leaning toward ETX subs or the SRM1850(are these even comparable?). A few people have told me to forget 15" subs altogether and only look into 18" subs for my goals. Any more input would be most appreciated folks. I'll likely have to make my next speaker purchase or even two before I have any chances to do any good A/B comparisons. No planned trips to those cities anytime soon.
Last bit, are there any ZXA1 Sub users out there, that could tell me if a second one is worth picking up. I'm thinking that it's nice for small gigs, but for anything where I'd need bigger, a second might not really add much, and I may be better off with a single larger sub, or two,..... or.... four.... (by the time I'm doing gigs such as homecomings/proms/lots of live shows, I'd imagine I will be able to justify another pair of subs and tops to keep up. The mixers I'm planning on running this gear through will be either an X32 Compact or Soundcraft Expression. Are there any folks on Serato forums who do live sound or use such mixers for conferences, corporate events, weddings, etc.?
Sorry if my questions have been slightly off topic, but it applies to "specs of speakers/amps" and their appropriate applications. Thanks again for the input above guys. If you read this post, sincere thanks. My only source of info is you folks on the interwebs.
pdidy 5:17 AM - 13 October, 2014
Benewah Beats , youre all over the place with your multiple questions. Focus on one at a time so we can answer.
pdidy 5:20 AM - 13 October, 2014
Benewah Beats , youre all over the place with your multiple questions. Focus on one at a time so we can answer in an organized fashion.
Benewah Beats , youre all over the place with your multiple questions. Focus on one at a time so we can answer in an organized fashion.
pdidy 5:22 AM - 13 October, 2014
what the hell....^^^^
 6 5:23 AM - 13 October, 2014
DJ NoNseNse 6:07 AM - 13 October, 2014
I don't understand why you need a x32 or soundcraft expression for a Dj rig.
Benewah Beats 9:01 AM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:

Sorry, thanks pdidy for even reading that.... you as well DJ NoNseNse...

Quick and simple,
1) Can anyone give input on the SRM550/1850? Would they be an acceptable budget alternative to ETX speakers?
2) Should I even consider them, or anything else, besides the ETX?
3) Does anyone on here ever use a console type mixer and could give input?

I've read a bunch on this forum, and a couple others. Still can't find much on the SRM550 and SRM1850. Is anyone near enough a good gear store, or has already used/heard the SRMs, that they could check them out and/or give me input? For 4 subs and a pair of tops, the price difference is HUGE between these and the EV ETX line, about double. Are these two sets even comparable? I'm looking at tops and 4x subs, hoping to handle up to 500 folks outside in the long term.

I've ruled out the EV ELX series and JBL. I'll stick with EV ZLX tops and add ETX15SP one at a time until I NEED ETX tops. Unless someone tells me I really should make a day trip to hear anything other than the EVs.... I'm in the mountains of N. Idaho and it will take a fair amount of gas and a whole day to go audition speakers again.

Quote:
I don't understand why you need a x32 or soundcraft expression for a Dj rig.

Sorry if that was unclear, and too off topic. Just wondering if anyone on this forum used a mixing console ever? The mixing console will run my DJ rig through it, and into the PA setup. This will be used at events where I'll need multiple microphones and recording capabilities, such as wedding receptions/ceremonies , conferences and seminars, etc. I can't figure out how to get 4-or-6-or-10 microphones into my Terminal Mix 8... :)

It would also allow me to later, once I've added enough PA speakers, move into providing PA systems and lighting for live sound events. There are so many uses for something like this, I can see where some Mobile DJs might be like ... WTF?... but I'm sure there are some folks on here who could understand the need.

Thanks again to anyone who reads my posts and replies, folks like yourselves on these forums and YouTube are my only real source of info other than ads and salespeople.
DJ GaFFle 9:55 AM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
What do you guys think, are the Mackie SRM550/1850 worth looking into?

No... Mackie speakers are notoriously unreliable, lack good support and quality control. I wouldn't recommend ANY of them unless your 2nd skill is speaker repair.
DJ GaFFle 9:59 AM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
what the hell....^^^^

His dissertation's got you discombobulated.
rayjthedj 1:20 PM - 13 October, 2014
Get a pair of ZLX12P tops and a single ETX15SP sub, you will like the sound. You can then add another ETX15SP sub as funds allow.

Once you purchase more ETX subs (after the first two) you will need to get the ETX12P tops to keep up with four to six of the subs.
Benewah Beats 5:48 PM - 13 October, 2014
Ray, I already have 2 ZLX12P tops, and a ZXA1 sub for small stuff. But another 3 ZLX12P are on the list. This will be in stages, and at my rate will take probably 2-3years. Thanks so much to all of the folks who've posted their experience with the EV speakers, I'm going to stick to EVs. I think before I can "cut the check" so to speak on a $1400 speaker, a trip to CG is in order, to hear one in person. Now to call around and find out how many hours of driving I'm in for...LOL At least 4 hrs ...
djvtyme85 6:54 PM - 13 October, 2014
i work with the prx setup on the regular basis (2 715 tops & 1 715 bottom) sufficent for a wedding up to 150 with sound being focused on the dancefloor indoors. for larger receptions (4 715 tops & two yorkvilles) great sound up to 250
Papa Midnight 7:12 PM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
715 bottom

How is the output on that PRX715XLF? I sold my old EON515XTs and bought 2 PRX715s, but I'm looking for a sub right now (that won't destroy my back). I'm eyeing the QSC KW181.
rayjthedj 7:56 PM - 13 October, 2014
Give Sam Ash a call in Nashville, talk to Eric or Paul and tell them I sent you. Ask them for the best price shipped, you will pay a lot less than $1,400.00.

I only recommend, I don't make anything off the sale. I already buy at the lowest rate, which is a small mark up over cost, because I have spent over 50K with them over the past couple of years.

They drop ship out of their warehouse in Florida, gets to me in KY in two days, don't know where you are located, so it could be a little shorter or a little longer. Buy a cover when you get the sub, if you love it, it will love you back :)
Benewah Beats 10:56 PM - 13 October, 2014
Yup, got covers with the EV's I have, and plan to with any future speakers. Having covers available is a checkpoint on the list for sure. Just don't try a power cable and 25ft XLR in the pouch on the EV covers.... stuffing them they don't like... I'm in Idaho, but will still check VS my usual 2-3 go-to sources when the time comes. AGIPRODJ, PSSL, both out west, and I've dealt with AMS but depending on what you get it comes from like Jersey or something in the NE... My personal guy/rep/connection at the main shop I buy from can hopefully get me the same deal that anyone else can get, so I'll def. shop around and try and buy from my "local" store first, but I won't just hand 'em extra for quicker turnaround. Thanks again Ray and the others on this forum who post great, helpful info for us NOOBS... inevitably saving us some of those 50 Gs in the long term.... keep shining peeps...
DJ Savage916 6:42 AM - 14 October, 2014
Quote:

EV ETX speakers: 2 15P and 3 18SP I believe the tops are 2,000watt/subs 1,800watt
The setup is fairly new but I have a gig this saturday that should be around 350 indoors. I'm pretty confident is will be no problem.
s587.photobucket.com
DJ GaFFle 12:22 PM - 14 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

EV ETX speakers: 2 15P and 3 18SP I believe the tops are 2,000watt/subs 1,800watt
The setup is fairly new but I have a gig this saturday that should be around 350 indoors. I'm pretty confident is will be no problem.
s587.photobucket.com

That's what I'm talkin' bout... most mobile DJs want to run 4 tops with only 2 subs which makes no sense considering the type of music we generally play and crowds we play for. I'm sure this setup sounds sweet with plenty of low end.
rayjthedj 12:38 PM - 14 October, 2014
It's all about the bass, no treble. Seems I heard a song about that about a thousand times lately :)

I am with GaFFle on this one, most DJs I listen to don't have a balanced sound, they scrimp on subs or want to add extra tops to try and fill in their sound, rather than get the frequencies divided up in the right places.

I do not like a boom, thud, droning bass either, why I am not a big fan of the LS801P, even though for many it is a good option. Tight, deep, high impact bass will set your sound apart from others.
Papa Midnight 1:43 PM - 14 October, 2014
Quote:
It's all about the bass, no treble. Seems I heard a song about that about a thousand times lately :)

"ICE CUBE in effect, and I'm the posse leader. Love my woofer and hate my tweeter!"
djvtyme85 10:42 PM - 14 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
715 bottom

How is the output on that PRX715XLF? I sold my old EON515XTs and bought 2 PRX715s, but I'm looking for a sub right now (that won't destroy my back). I'm eyeing the QSC KW181.

the prx 715xlf are better watched with the prx 712 tops but ive used them with the 715s and it was ideal for the event i had. 150 ppl small room with low ceilings. ideally i'd go with 718 xlf but both arent back breakers at all. i can handle either with no help
julian T 4:17 AM - 24 December, 2014
Hey DJ GaFFle how are those EV ETX subs?
DJ GaFFle 7:57 PM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:
Hey DJ GaFFle how are those EV ETX subs?

They're great. I think they're the best ones you can buy at GC's compared to the JBL PRX's, QSC HPR's or any other GC < $1500 sub. They're heavier than the other mentioned subs but not by a ton. They make up for their extra weight with extra knock. I don't own them but I've compared them a few times in the store. Plenty of options these days though and your sub needs will be based on the type of gigs you'll be doing.
LaDjkaoz 12:59 AM - 18 June, 2019
I have 4 JBLs VRXs, 2 Yorkvile SL1804s sub powered by crown PB 1, K2 and ITech 6000. for back yard I have a pair of EVs ETX 10s and some passive dual 15s powered by crown PB2. I honestly like the active cabs but when the crow gets pump up there is nothing like passive powered by Crown... and those Yorkvile subs.. make the venues shake...

my friend has a QSCs tops and bottoms KWs 12s and KWs 18s they sound great... I got to admit... I was planning on buying the EVs subs but I could use that cash for something else... I bet EVs subs kick hard. too then again those QSCs are so efficient you can run tops and bottoms off a 15A breaker all night... and they go easy on you back too ..