Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Free Quartz Composition: "Continuous Movie"

radikarl 8:38 PM - 19 June, 2011
Inspired by this thread: serato.com and because Draven1327 asked me for it, i decided to release another QTZ composition.
Its purpose is to let a long movie play constantly in the background out of Video-SL while DJ-ing with audio-only files.

Release Notes

Copyright
Released under CC BY SA 3.0 (creativecommons.org) by radikarl

Instructions:

- Download and unzip the file linked at the end of this post.

- Now put a movie in the folder next to the XML and the QTZ File.
NOTE: if there is more than one movie in the folder, the first one (in alphabetical order) is chosen.

- If not already done, open ScratchLive and VideoSL.

- Attatch the Compositions as Video in Serato Video SL for more than one audio track, e.g. tracks A and B by dragging and dropping it to the video button on your virtual deck.

- You might have to unload an reload each track after setting the composition to make it work as video, this is an SSL bug (seems to happen only in offline mode)

- Now everytime before you start to DJ, open the XML with a texteditor (rightclick -> open with), change the starting time to the time you want the movie to start, e.g 200000 (this is 8 PM).

- Make sure you use the "default" video transition, unless you want to see a visual effect when mixing two tracks.

Result:

Both track A and B will play the movie.

When you mix from track A to B, the movie will seamlessly continue playing and loop repeat once it reaches the end.

This can of course be expanded to tracks C, D, and so on, so you can have a movie play out of scratchlive while DJing

The good thing about this is - you can blend into it and ouf of it with music videos, and you can also use the VSL effects on it.

Notes / Advanded stuff:

- You can manually make the playhead of the movie jump to any desired position by editing the XML, but you have to do some math:
Just subtract the playhead time you want from the current time and enter that into the XML
Example:
* You want your movie to play at position 01:15:00 (75 minutes after start)
* It is 09:30 PM
-> So you have to enter 081500 into the XML and save it. The playhead will jump.

- You can swap the movie, by simply putting another movie into the folder and removing the first one.

- Remember that you should edit the XML then as well, to set the start time for the new movie. (otherwise it might start somewhere in the middle)

- The movie will ignore pitching, scratching and all other manipulations to the audio part.

Disclaimer:

Everything is provided "as is", no guarantee, no responsibility, use at your own risk

Please respect the Authors rights.
Released under CC BY SA 3.0 (creativecommons.org) by radikarl

Donations:

Donations (Paypal) are appreciated and motivate me to develop new stuff.
donate@toka-disco.de

download:
www.toka-disco.de
GRiNDBoX 9:14 PM - 19 June, 2011
ey can you make a customize quartz composition like my logo???
radikarl 7:24 AM - 20 June, 2011
hi GRiNDBoX, have a look at one of my other compositions:
serato.com
you can use the image slider to show your logos

or this one:
serato.com
which you can use to display your logo as the label of a spinning record.

if you want something more fancy, like the logo itself interacting with music, you'll have to wait until i find the time to do something generic which can then be not only used by you but by everyone ;-)

that will happen, i already have something prepared - i just don't know when to finish it yet.

if you want me to do something specifically for you, then we should talk this outside of the forums since it would violate the forum rules (i would then probably charge you for it and thus it is not an acceptable topic for this forum ;-) )

cheers
GRiNDBoX 3:11 PM - 20 June, 2011
thanks bro..just want to have a customized quartz composition for my ME...:) specifically my logo.
Draven1327 3:19 PM - 20 June, 2011
you sir are awesome!!! :-D Thanx again!!
radikarl 10:21 AM - 21 June, 2011
@GRiNDBoX : i don't have Mix Emergency, i would have to look into that first.

what i DO have is a version of the Image-Slider that works standalone and also in MixEmergency, since it does not require the Path which it reads from VideoSL.

You can use that to display images from a folder
if you want it, PM me your email adress.

Cheers.
radikarl 11:10 PM - 21 June, 2011
updated: fixed playhead jumping at midnight.

the link is still valid,
but you should download it again if you have it already,
and replace your files with the ones from the new download.
radikarl 4:23 PM - 22 June, 2011
@ Grindbox: maybe my new composition helps you: serato.com
GRiNDBoX 4:38 PM - 25 June, 2011
Quote:
@ Grindbox: maybe my new composition helps you: serato.com

i think it will not work on ME(Mix Emergency) and besides i need to try it in VSL..still busy right now..will let yah know...
thanks
Andy Cule 2:25 PM - 10 September, 2011
- Attatch the Compositions as Video in Serato Video SL for more than one audio track, e.g. tracks A and B by dragging and dropping it to the video button on your virtual deck.

hello there,

this sounds exactly what I am looking for but I am not under standing what you are asking me to do here, "maybe its just me being blonde" could somebody please break this down for me please??

Thank you
radikarl 8:03 AM - 12 September, 2011
Hi, what is it you don't get?
Tiger4life 9:16 PM - 29 December, 2011
@radikarl....Thanks for the help.It works fine for me in less than 5 minutes.However, we have a little problem over here that Andy Cule is probably struggling with.You forgot to mention two important things.The attachment of the compositions in VSL is possible only in offline mode because SSL doesn't allow video association to audio files while the interface is plugged in.The genius at Serato team doesn't allow us to do that along with analyzing files with the interface plugged in.I don't wanna call it a bug either.
@Andy Cule...Locate a chain+video sign right below the offline player on the far left.Click on the compositions files (continuousmovie.qtz;starttime.xml;logo video) while holding control or command for Mac users and drag and drop them to that sign with the audio track loaded in VSL offline player.Repeat the process for as many tracks you want.
Another big problem over here is the fact that SSL doesn't allow us to associate a single video to multiple audio files.Imagine that I want my logo video to play for a library of about 50.000 songs.I would be homeless by losing my job sitting home associating the compositions to each audio track.
radikarl 9:38 PM - 29 December, 2011
for the first one, i think there is a button in the online mode as well, right under the looping section / scopes.
you have to enable video SL first though.

for the second one you can use scratch tools (www.scratchtools.de)

Thank you for your feedback

Cheers
Tiger4life 10:06 PM - 29 December, 2011
Oh yeah! you're right on the first one it's there but only in vertical or horizontal display mode.I was working in stack display mode.For the second, I have no clue what it is but I'll check it out.Thanks again
djsaber 6:22 PM - 28 June, 2012
I am working with the new verion of serato video, no SL. Does this still work for us? If so can you help me get it to work using a MAC Os system. I already downloaded the zip.

Thanks
Culprit 11:23 PM - 19 April, 2014
scratchtools is by far the best tool I have ever used for serato period.