DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Using Serato without hardware

djbreezee 12:51 AM - 2 August, 2007
anyone know how to use serato software without using SSL hardware.????
BriChi 12:52 AM - 2 August, 2007
All you can do is organize the crates and music
Los Angeles Grooveworks. 1:30 AM - 2 August, 2007
^^and build overviews
AdamJay 5:57 AM - 2 August, 2007
and change (some) preferences
dj disturbed 6:11 AM - 2 August, 2007
or use on of these
home.triad.rr.com
DJOJ 7:20 AM - 2 August, 2007
mmmmmmmmm muffins....
J0be 9:47 AM - 2 August, 2007
lol
DJ-A 3:44 PM - 2 August, 2007
i guess in answer to his question... we use it all the time... anytime we want to build an overview...
Kheru 12:42 PM - 22 September, 2011
Can I use Serato with sound card mixers such as the DJ Tech DJM303, Behringer NOX 404 and American Audio DV2 without the use of Serato's SSL Hardware?
BriChi 12:47 PM - 22 September, 2011
nope
Joee 7:05 PM - 22 September, 2011
Quote:
All you can do is organize the crates and music

or you can do this, the poor mans serato
Watchwww.youtube.com
Kheru 9:45 PM - 22 September, 2011
Ha. Did that already... Love vinyl more. I was just curious to know if any other style sound card especially if integrated in a mixer other than the Rane TTm 57 could be used. I like that I can download Serato for free. The sound card is the issue. Zzounds.com has Play and Pay and that is my only other option.
BriChi 10:35 PM - 22 September, 2011
How do you expect serato to make money if you download their software for free and then use someone elses sound card, LOL

Hopefully they will one day just charge for the software so we can use it with decks like the cdj2000's without the need for a box
Kheru 12:39 AM - 23 September, 2011
I'm getting it regardless.
sacrilicious 1:37 AM - 23 September, 2011
Not that I recommend it, but I bet with enough cue points and good timing it'd be possible to keep a peak hour crowd dancing their asses off with just offline mode.
dj_soo 5:13 AM - 23 September, 2011
I've done gigs in internal mode, a 57, and a trigger finger...
Manny C dot com 9:39 AM - 23 September, 2011
Quote:

Maybe so, but that was still with TWO decks. Trying to pull that off in OFFLINE mode would kind of suck.
Jiggy Flipp L.O.T 6:35 PM - 23 September, 2011
Quote:

Why??
Jiggy Flipp L.O.T 6:37 PM - 23 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Why not**??

Ideal setup if the pay isnt ideal .

-100 on playing in offline mode .
Logisticalstyles 6:44 PM - 23 September, 2011
Quote:
Not that I recommend it, but I bet with enough cue points and good timing it'd be possible to keep a peak hour crowd dancing their asses off with just offline mode.

Just avoid playing whitelabel.net tracks. They still play at 32kps in Offline mode.
djchriscruz 7:11 PM - 23 September, 2011
I love to tell curious onlookers that Serato is completely FREE! I tell them just go on Serato.com and you can download it yourself. They get all excited like they're going home right now to try DJing. I forget to mention that the $400 hardware is required.
echa1945mf 8:05 PM - 23 September, 2011
Quote:
I love to tell curious onlookers that Serato is completely FREE! I tell them just go on Serato.com and you can download it yourself. They get all excited like they're going home right now to try DJing. I forget to mention that the $400 hardware is required.

LMAO
dj_soo 8:39 PM - 23 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why not**??

Ideal setup if the pay isnt ideal .

-100 on playing in offline mode .

before i got my VCI, I would use it for some gigs that didn't have decks and didn't want to pay the extra i would charge them to rent my decks. It came in handy for a lot of the restaurant and lounge gigs I did...
Sean G 10:14 PM - 4 September, 2014
I was wondering something...

I often sit with my laptop and listen to music through serato, then want to try and see if certain tracks blend well together (as I am sure most do). But because I use serato with vinyl I am not always in a situation where I can turn my decks on and have a mix, so I wondered... because serato will only use 2 virtual decks when my SL2 is plugged in, can I sit there with it plugged into my laptop but use the laptops headphone jack to hear the sound?

I understand I have no faders etc.. but i just want to be able to play 2 tracks at once and see if they work well before I plug my mac into my decks etc...
BriChi 10:40 PM - 4 September, 2014
sure, if your laptop has an in and out, plug one side of each deck into the IN of the laptop with a rica to 1/8", I used to use the 2 left channels (1 from each deck)
BriChi 10:41 PM - 4 September, 2014
there is also free software you can try this with if you wanted to test some tracks, just use it when testing and drag the tracks from serrate to the other program
pdidy 12:32 AM - 5 September, 2014
Sean G, ya thinkin too hard......theres hundreds of dj apps for ya phone, ipad and tablet this can be done on much better years ago.
eugguy 1:27 AM - 5 September, 2014
Quote:
... because serato will only use 2 virtual decks when my SL2 is plugged in, ...

It would be nice to see "two" virtual decks in offline mode to see if tracks blend together instead of one deck.
pdidy 3:39 AM - 5 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It would be nice to see "two" virtual decks in offline mode to see if tracks blend together instead of one deck.

AND then the bootleg laptop ONLY djs will emerge and never buy the hardware. I guessing that would not be a good business decision for serato.
Sean G 6:17 AM - 5 September, 2014
You all make good points and I understand the reason for only allowing the virtual decks to be used when rane hardware is plugged in.

I just didn't know if the was a setting somewhere that enabled you to divert the sound to the headphone jack when an SL unit was plugged into the USB rather than the auxiliary outputs.

Will let you know if I come up with anything
dj_soo 7:20 AM - 5 September, 2014
get one of these: www.akaipro.com
eugguy 7:59 AM - 5 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

AND then the bootleg laptop ONLY djs will emerge and never buy the hardware. I guessing that would not be a good business decision for serato.

Well...wasn't thinking that far ahead. Haha, shoot...I just want to do what I can do when I am setting up playlists w/SSL connected, off-line. I guess sort of like what traktor has...but I can understand what you mean.
eugguy 8:08 AM - 5 September, 2014
Quote:

This made my gochu stand up.
pdidy 5:14 PM - 5 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This made my gochu stand up.

the perfect solution.