Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Several Problems. USB Drop Out. Mic Delay. Not loading wav forms, Can't edit

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Allen & Heath Xone:DX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
salsadj 8:11 AM - 11 April, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 1.7.1
Hardware: allen-heath-xonedx||no-fx-controller
Computer: mac
OS Version: dont-know
---

I'm running OSX 10.6.7 it is not listed in the drop down menu. Here's what's happened so far.
USB Drop out: I've played two gigs so far and at each gig something different has gone wrong. The first gig had some pretty bad usb dropouts. Initially I had the usb buffer size to 128. The usb drop out happened so I changed it to 256 and that solved it for the rest of the night. Last night I was playing a gig and the usb buffer size was set to 512 to be safe. I had a USB drop out and had to set the usb buffer size to 1024. I have a 2009 MBP 2.53GHZ with 4 gb of ram and I use a high end Kimber Kable USB cable. Everything is turned off,i.e. bluetooth, airport etc. The only things running are Itch and finder. Should I be having this kind of drop out?

Mic Delay: Last week I plugged in my Shure PGX2 with no problem. Last night I plugged in my Shure PG2 and had some noticeable mic delay. No idea why and was unable to fix it last night.

Not loading wav forms: While prepping my music yesterday, songs that were already analyzed and would open fine in Scratch Live, would just freeze up in itch. In some instances I would have to force quit itch. In other instances it would take about two minutes for the wav form to appear; note that the file was not being analyzed. This would happen with apparently random files and I was able to get them to load after re-encoding them. Also, at first I though it might be the ID3 tag as some of the ones not loading were version 2.3 and worked after converting the ID3 to version 2.4 without re-encoding the file. However, many other files with ID3 tag version 2.3 loaded fine. Again, these files had already been previously analyzed and opened fine in Scratch live but would not open in Itch nor itunes for that matter.

Can't edit: Again, yesterday while prepping music, all of a sudden when I would try to edit a song's properties in Itch, for some reason when I attempted to type in the fields, nothing would happen. If I double clicked, it would allow me to delete letters, but then I wouldn't be able to type anything. Exiting and relaunching itch did nothing. I was able to fix this by launching Scratch Live and editing in there. Upon relaunching itch I could once again edit.

This is some really buggy software and I hope you can provide me with any idea as to how to address these issues.

Thank you
Sv.DjDreamer 8:28 AM - 11 April, 2011
Mic Delay ir related to usb buffer size.Bigger buffer - bigger delay. Normal work with mic is possible on 128, maybe 256, but not on 512.
salsadj 8:56 AM - 11 April, 2011
Gotcha. So either I get no mic delay but suffer USB drop out. I should be able to have no mic delay and get no USB drop out no?

Also, I forgot to mention, I run my music from an external FireWire 800 hard drive.
salsadj 11:28 PM - 13 April, 2011
Nice to see that Serato is taking bugs seriously. NOT
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:25 AM - 15 April, 2011
Hi salsadj.

Sorry about the delay.

1) USB DROPOUTS
If you disconnect all other devices apart from the DX, do you get dropouts?

2) MIC ECHO
If you lower the USB Buffer and press Apply, do you get less latency (don't worry about the dropouts at the mo, we'll do each of these separately).

3) MP3 TAGS
If you don't use the external drive, do you get these tag issues?
salsadj 4:21 AM - 15 April, 2011
Sorry I sounded snippy.

USB drop out and MP3 tags: Here's what I've done so far. I ended up partitioning my Mac hard drive, installed osx 10.6.5 and moved my library internally. This partition will be dedicated to itch and scratch live exclusively. I will run tests and post the results ASAP.

Mic latency: it was when the buffer was lower that the mic was fine but I got drop outs. Once I changed the buffer, the drop outs stopped but I got mic delay.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:27 AM - 15 April, 2011
Not a prob, it's frustrating when things go wrong!

I'd suggest trying to get the dropouts gone, this will help getting the usb buffer lower, and then the mic delay should go too. Let me know your findings.
Mr. White 12:47 PM - 16 April, 2011
Hey salsadj,

Make sure you are plugging the Xone DX in the USB port closest to you(furthest from screen). The USB ports on Mac's are not equal......

DJJazzyJetta
salsadj 7:54 AM - 17 April, 2011
So I'm typing this as I DJ my gig. I just had a USB drop out. I did everything as described above. I'm running a partition on my Mac running osx 10.6.5. All songs are now internal. The USB cable is plugged into the port closest to me. I used to have my sub right below my Dj table but I have since moved it so as to avoid interference. The latency was set to 256 when I got the drop out. I have it set to 512 now and will report if this fixes it for the rest of the night.
Mr. White 10:15 AM - 17 April, 2011
Hey salsadj,

Do you have a mobile me account (idisk)? If so make sure its set to manual instead of automatically if you have one.

DJJazzyJetta
salsadj 11:38 AM - 17 April, 2011
Hey DJJazzyJetta, no mobile me account, but thanks for the tip in case I ever do get one. The drop out happened pretty early on in the night; about 40 minutes into my set. After changing the latency to 512 I had no more drop outs for the rest of the night, but I did have some mic delay. I'm going to try my other mic next time and see if it makes a difference. I'll leave the setting untouched for now as I had no more drop outs after the initial drop out tonight. I'll post results either way.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:10 AM - 21 April, 2011
Just checking that you have done everything here too: www.serato.com

Let me know how you get on.
4:00 AM, 5 May 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.