DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Numark NS6 & ScratchLIVE

blackavenger 2:50 PM - 29 March, 2011
So I have been checking every video & document I can find on the NS6. The more I read about it, the more I feel that Numark has absolutely nailed it as far as controllers are concerned. Being that the NS6 has Phono/Line Inputs, I was wondering, do Y'all think it would be possible to hook up a ScratchLIVE (SL1/SL3/SL4) interface to it? I don't see why not.......any thoughts?

Also, do Y'all think that Serato will eventually allow for Vinyl/CD TT control of ITCH?
Evon 3:19 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
So I have been checking every video & document I can find on the NS6. The more I read about it, the more I feel that Numark has absolutely nailed it as far as controllers are concerned. Being that the NS6 has Phono/Line Inputs, I was wondering, do Y'all think it would be possible to hook up a ScratchLIVE (SL1/SL3/SL4) interface to it? I don't see why not.......any thoughts?

Also, do Y'all think that Serato will eventually allow for Vinyl/CD TT control of ITCH?

Yes you should be able to use the sl4 with the numark ns6 since its also a mixer. But it cost the shirt off. First you have to buy sl4 and the ns6 in order to utilize all 4 channels. You can get a S4 with timecode license for half that money.
blackavenger 3:29 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:
You can get a S4 with timecode license for half that money.

True, but the S4 doesn't have Needle Search. I being a Vinyl ScratchLIVE user consider this functionality to be essential for quick mixing. Not until they've implemented Needle Search into the V7/NS7/S1/NS6 have I even considered getting an "ALL Digital" mixing solution.
He-Man 12:28 PM - 18 May, 2011
it almost looks like you can run two external decks for Sl1 and jump from itch to scratch... might take a little juggling but mac has the option for 2 parallel desktops at once, wondering if scratch can run on one- and itch on the other???

Anyone know if this will be a possibility?

Also is itch anything at all like scratch? i have been watching the vids but can't really tell if there are major similarities? Does it affect the way/style of Djing if you are used to scratch much?

Thanks in advance for any info
dj-freestyle 4:26 PM - 18 May, 2011
i was thinking since the ns6 in midi mapable, why couldnt you map it to scratch live and use video? Numark seemed to think this would be possible except for platters but im sure somebody could find code for that to. ive seen it done on denon and traktor s1 controller
dj-freestyle 4:30 PM - 18 May, 2011
blackavenger 6:28 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:
i was thinking since the ns6 in midi mapable, why couldnt you map it to scratch live and use video? Numark seemed to think this would be possible except for platters but im sure somebody could find code for that to. ive seen it done on denon and traktor s1 controller

No Dice.

serato.com
dj-freestyle 7:15 PM - 18 May, 2011
Why no dice? Its mapable.
Dj Shamann 7:29 PM - 18 May, 2011
I just bought a VCI-300 yesterday, was looking into the NS6 during that time as well. Now that i have the VCI there's a few things that i don't like about it that the NS6 has. The four channel capability not for extra decks, but for external gear. I don't like on the VCI that my mic goes through the ITCH software instead of being able to control it like a mixer would. It's also a little difficult for me at my size manuevering around the unit.

I know the NS6's don't come out for another 2 weeks, but has anybody who also owns a VCI had there hands on the NS6? My main concern is portability, would this thing weigh me down considerably more than the VCI which I can slip in a bag and walk to work with?
Dj Shamann 7:31 PM - 18 May, 2011
Sorry to hijack the thread, just that blackavenger was asking about using the SL4 as an external
DJWarrenKelly 7:34 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:
I just bought a VCI-300 yesterday, was looking into the NS6 during that time as well. Now that i have the VCI there's a few things that i don't like about it that the NS6 has. The four channel capability not for extra decks, but for external gear. I don't like on the VCI that my mic goes through the ITCH software instead of being able to control it like a mixer would. It's also a little difficult for me at my size manuevering around the unit.

I know the NS6's don't come out for another 2 weeks, but has anybody who also owns a VCI had there hands on the NS6? My main concern is portability, would this thing weigh me down considerably more than the VCI which I can slip in a bag and walk to work with?

Saw it,Touched it(NH) and its def. no VCI…But still really portable and built like a tank.
blackavenger 7:41 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:
Why no dice? Its mapable.

Cause the jogs won't work properly. Sure, you can map all the buttons, but if you can't use the jogs, it's kinda pointless, no?
Rebelguy 8:01 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:

Saw it,Touched it(NH) and its def. no VCI…But still really portable and built like a tank.

No VCI...I hope not. The NS6 will easily beat the Vestax in every function.
Rebelguy 8:01 PM - 18 May, 2011
I meant I hope it isn't like the VCI.
dj-freestyle 8:03 PM - 18 May, 2011
The vci and ns6 are on two different levels and i you can bet that after a few weeks of ns6 being out somebody will wrote code to map jog wheels for scratch live. I have no doubt and then its on till itch gets video.
dj-freestyle 8:03 PM - 18 May, 2011
The ns6 is totally different then ns6. Not one same level
Dj Bacik 8:12 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:

Doesn't that just blow your mind.
Dj Shamann 8:20 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that's a given, but for what I needed it for I don't need the mothership of all controllers (the NS6), just something that will do the job and can easily transport with me in no car situations (I live in the middle of the city, walking distance to the club district)

The VCI is very portable, just don't think it's going to do the job so it may have to go back.
Rebelguy 9:05 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that's a given, but for what I needed it for I don't need the mothership of all controllers (the NS6), just something that will do the job and can easily transport with me in no car situations (I live in the middle of the city, walking distance to the club district)

The VCI is very portable, just don't think it's going to do the job so it may have to go back.

Do you need platters? If not then the Novation Twitch might be the route to go.
haze324 9:29 PM - 18 May, 2011
The DX is also not as big.

The VCI Mk 2 - has the mic going thru the soundcard i believe.

The NS6 will be MUCH bigger and difficult transport. I believe the VCI is 17 inches and the NS6 is 23. There arent many bags that size. It's also 14 pounds.
Eric N 9:31 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:

Play with it a little more before you take it back. Kinda has a learning curve, but I'm glad I kept mine.
blackavenger 10:18 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:
I can bet that after a few weeks of ns6 being out somebody will wrote code to map jog wheels for scratch live. I have no doubt

Did you actually read that link I posted? Radikarl (the guy who spearheaded the hack to MIDI map the jogs of ScratchLIVE) was the person commenting on how he's tried to add platter control for the NS6, but was unable to get it working. It's good to be optimistic, but I wouldn't base my purchasing decision on assuming that it will happen.

Quote:
The NS6 will be MUCH bigger and difficult transport. I believe the VCI is 17 inches and the NS6 is 23. There arent many bags that size. It's also 14 pounds.

If Numark is smart they'll put out a shoulder bag for the NS6. Denon has done it....I could see Numark doing the same.

.......Regardless, I can't wait to get the NS6. I am selling my current mixer ;) (Korg Zero4) to help offset some of the cost. Since it's an integrated mixer as well, I simply won't need my standalone anymore....I'll just hook up ScratchLIVE (SL3) & my TechnicM5Gs to it.....It's going to simplify my whole setup. Dope!
Rebelguy 10:19 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:
The DX is also not as big.

The DX is still pretty big. It's not as wide but it's pretty deep [no homo or misquote].
Dj Shamann 12:25 AM - 19 May, 2011
Quote:
Do you need platters? If not then the Novation Twitch might be the route to go.

Yes, I scratch and me getting a controller was for an alternative for shitty booths i walk into.

Quote:
Play with it a little more before you take it back. Kinda has a learning curve, but I'm glad I kept mine.

Yeah I'm going to use it tomorrow and Friday and then decide on the weekend. It's not really the learning curve that's throwing me, I knew that was coming, it's certain functionality.

Quote:

Yeah the dimensions were what made me lean towards the VCI since the Zebra case I had planned to buy didn't come that big. 14 lbs could be doable, but swinging that by my side for a few city blocks every night might be tedious (I like to walk home especially during the summer, take a look at the eye candy, get a piece of pizza etc)

The mic doesn't go through the mixer as it's own seperate controllable signal, it has to be processed through ITCH first which set off a few Family Feud X's in my head, the latency is annoying and could pose a problem for certain gigs.

Quote:
If Numark is smart they'll put out a shoulder bag for the NS6. Denon has done it....I could see Numark doing the same.

You see, this is what i was thinking/hoping... finding a soft bag that could carry the unit properly, or even a few years back my boy had soft cases for his turntables, they were sturdy as hell but 1/4th the weight.

I dunno, I guess I have some decisions to make. TBH I wish the much fantasized RANE controller wasn't just wishful thinking, if we knew one was coming out (ever) I would just hang on to the VCI for now and wait it out until next major gear release, but I'm not banking on dreams right now, I need a controller.
dj-freestyle 1:07 AM - 19 May, 2011
@blackavenger, im sure your right but i can hope and i bought my ns6 already and i have a ttm57sl for video so no worries. Im sure itch will have it soon anyway. I cant wait to rock the ns6 for partys i dont do video. Gonna rock
dj-freestyle 1:22 AM - 19 May, 2011
I think the ns6 will be a good size even for smaller gigs. In all the unboxing videos it doesnt seem all that big.
Mista-V 10:08 PM - 4 August, 2011
I recently purchased an NS6 and I JUST LOVE IT! It's robust, everything feels rock solid, it's big enough to do your thing with the right gestures and moves, but still lets you carry it around.
Just noticed Itch 2.0 is out so can't wait to test that one out.

But now, as I'm video deejay'ing as well using scratch live, I'm looking for a good MIDI mapping for ScratchLive. Even though platters wouldn't work, does anyone know where I could find such a midi mapping for all the rest??? (I started to assign some basic functions myself but I'm not the master in).

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
radikarl 8:25 PM - 14 August, 2011
i am waiting for my NS6 to ship. ;-)

once i have it i will do a nice mapping for scratch live.

i had my hands on an NS6 for like 30 minutes and i was able to get platter touching and releasing to work with the well known hack quickly.
platter motion not though...

i can't promise anything, since i have to try it first. but i WILL try to get the platter to work.

and i will do a mapping - with or without platter, that's for shure. ;-)
OosoDJD 10:52 PM - 14 August, 2011
im confused where do you put the code?lol
blackavenger 3:00 AM - 15 August, 2011
Quote:
and i will do a mapping - with or without platter, that's for shure. ;-)

Nice! Please post, or link to it in this thread. Thanks.
wadup 5:27 AM - 30 August, 2011
Bump.... Radikarl any progress on ur ns6 mapper
radikarl 8:01 AM - 30 August, 2011
well. sort of.
nothing to upload yet though.

i think mapping the platters will be incredibly hard.
they numark NS6 platters send absolute data in 14 bit mode, using 3600 ticks per revolution

this means at every angle, a different message is sent.

ScratchLive expects relative data (one messagetype for forward, one type for backward motion)

so i am currently experimenting with Bomes Midi Translator to translate absolute to relative.
this means i have to wait for two messages to determine the direction.
which is ok in general, since the data rate is more than double of the original Denon DN HC 4500.
But i only have the freeware of bomes and also, i would really prefer a solution without intermediate software. maybe something can be done with Midi Pipe also.

it is in progress ;-)

you'll just have to wait a little longer
wadup 12:00 AM - 31 August, 2011
Thanks for the update ;)
DJ EZSMOOTH 12:02 AM - 31 August, 2011
we're counting on ya bro! (no pressure)
radikarl 8:47 PM - 3 September, 2011
brief update:

it is not possible to map the platters in scratch live at this state.
this is also true for every other hardware that sends absolute data on the platters.
what i have achieved to work was

- touch / release
- and predictable but false motion.

unfortunately, scratch live does not accept

data_type="Absolute 7"
or
data_type="Absolute 14"

in the midi mapping for platter motion

either one would make it possible, but unless something changes in SSL, no way.

i guess i'll still complete the rest of the mapping, but it just doesn't feel complete without the platters.
Glitchgo 10:00 PM - 4 September, 2011
maybee serato will do an update for scratch live (for platter mapping)???!
RAMPING 6:32 AM - 5 September, 2011
anybody want to tell me what "mapping is?"
radikarl 10:29 AM - 5 September, 2011
dj-freestyle 7:55 PM - 5 September, 2011
Midi mapping is basically making a controller work with a product. Thats the basic answer
RAMPING 11:38 PM - 6 September, 2011
thanks.
J.J. 2:53 AM - 8 September, 2011
Radikarl, using Bome's MIDI Translator, how do you convert Absolute 14 bit data to Relative? Any chance you are outputing MIDI for some buttons to light up using Bome's?

I'm mapping the NS6 to Traktor and I love it. More than the S4. Numark 5 layer TSI causes to much latency. I hate it that Traktor doesn't Break when Paused and doesn't have a true Censor (temp reverse). The FX don't always work.
dj-freestyle 4:52 PM - 7 December, 2011
hey guys to map the ns6 to other prgrams do you just plug serato box in and flip switches to line and you can midi map. im assuming it doesnt loose the map for itch by doign this. there isnt some other buttons i have to push to get to a midi mapable version?
Selecta Maddze 1:29 PM - 13 June, 2012
Any news from the NS6 mapping fraction?
If not i have to sell this midi controller :(
spliffstarz 4:25 AM - 14 August, 2012
any news in this....i have an ns6 but i feel held back with itch...i want to buy SSL and use my ns6...im awaiting this mapping......thanks for your work
dj-freestyle 2:14 AM - 27 August, 2012
FINALLY 2 DECK VIEW , YES IM YELLING
Robert W 5:22 AM - 27 August, 2012
Quote:

I know you posted that over a year ago, but dont you mean the NS6 is totally different from the NS7?
I thought the NS6 came out before the NS7s though.