Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Powered Speakers (active) Vs Non Powered (passive)

DJ.Tyme 4:11 PM - 27 March, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 1.7.1
Hardware: numark-ns7||no-fx-controller
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

Yamaha DSR115 Active Loudspeakers im thinking about buying these,but wanted to no if any of ya dj's have tried them out ? and if so is it better to get powered speakers ? i want to sell my current amp & speakers. i use the yamaha s115v's & yamaha amp p7000s
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:05 PM - 28 March, 2011
Hey DJ.Tyme.

I'll move this to the ITCH General Discussion area - I'm sure more users will see it there and be able to advise on their experience.

Personally, I always aim for powered speakers if you can find good ones, way less setup and moving hassles and the speakers should be matched with suitable amplification.
9:06 PM, 28 Mar 2011
Discussion moved to ITCH General Discussion
Paco71 9:24 PM - 28 March, 2011
For mobile use I prefer (and I have) powered speakers.
For a fixe use My choice go to passive speakers.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:03 PM - 28 March, 2011
^^ Yeah. Sorry - for install used, passive speakers are going to be your best bet.
soundbiter 12:00 AM - 29 March, 2011
I looked into using powered speakers, but found I had a bit more versatility (i.e. using smaller/bigger speakers since I have a decent selection at my disposal) if I just invested in a new amplifier. I like not having to find power for powered speakers at gigs in addition to running audio cables.
As far as weight/moving hassle, I'm using a Peavey IPR 1600 amplifier. 1600w total output (800/ch) and stable at 2 ohms, allows for versatility in your setups depending on sound needs. AND it's only SIX pounds, ridiculously light. So, in my case, I prefer passive.
DJ.Tyme 3:36 AM - 29 March, 2011
Yaeh Soundbiter check out my set up it work just fine. i dont have to search for power ns7 & dj coffin on my table & next to that i use the monster PRO 900 Rack Mountable PowerCenter.www.monstercable.com and then i use On Stage MPCOMBO25 25Ft Pwrd Speaker Connect Cable. www.pssl.com with this set up your power & xlr are at the dj set up table
soundbiter 6:53 AM - 29 March, 2011
That's a good way to set things up. Still, I enjoy having lighter passive speakers (plus the capability of fielding 4 speakers or 2 and a sub in a more cost effective way and easier way) and six pound amp versus the heavier speakers and limited sound design options.

With an amp that runs 2ohm stable you can chain speakers together for better coverage. In addition, you can run two passive speakers off one channel and a sub off the other. Overall passive works best for me, is easier, and costs less to boot. That said, I might use a setup like your own if I had no need for a sub or additional speakers from time to time.
DJ.Tyme 5:53 PM - 29 March, 2011
That's tru bro. I was using a sub but for the school dances & weddings I do I didn't feel they really cared for that much bass but ya I understand differnet dj's need different set ups
DJdaveZ 8:38 PM - 29 March, 2011
as light as powered speakers are made these days, its really not a weight issue anymore.

speaker choice is all about ease of hookup, portability, space, and budget.
ldc1129 10:58 PM - 29 March, 2011
As much as I would like to use powered speakers, I have found that you get more power per dollar with a passive setup...
elsupermang 11:43 PM - 29 March, 2011
If you want a no hassle setup def go with powered. Having a passive system just adds more variables to go wrong your setup. If your amp goes out, your done. If your speakers blow your sound is going to suck for the rest of the night. I find with all the different ways manufacturers rate their speaker power out and requirements its difficult to pair speakers and an amp. Good brand name powered speakers are perfectly matched to their built in amplifiers and will almost never blow out on you permanently.
soundbiter 12:38 AM - 30 March, 2011
For sure Tyme, different needs that both can suit well.

Quote:
If you want a no hassle setup def go with powered. Having a passive system just adds more variables to go wrong your setup. If your amp goes out, your done. If your speakers blow your sound is going to suck for the rest of the night. I find with all the different ways manufacturers rate their speaker power out and requirements its difficult to pair speakers and an amp. Good brand name powered speakers are perfectly matched to their built in amplifiers and will almost never blow out on you permanently.

I disagree with your "no hassle" perspective
If your amp goes out on one powered speaker you're pretty much done, let's be real. One speaker doesn't exactly throw a bangin party. In addition, that's assuming an entire amp would blow, rather than just one channel going off.

Also, if you push powered speakers too much they can blow as well, and modern amps for passive setups have protection features to prevent this. Either way, you can blow speakers.

Finally, I find that it's incredibly easy to pair speakers and amps together, and manufacturers of such equipment realize their products will be used in a wide variety of situations, so (at least for respected brands) power ratings/requirements are usually conservative. I have never encountered difficulty pairing speakers together just doing the math. Finally, believing that powered amps and speakers are truly that reliable is just buying into the mentality of the retailers. They want you believe there is a significant reliability gain, but based on quite a few years of using passive speakers and normal amps I have never encountered any complete failures that weren't user error/environment related.

In short, passive speakers/amps are not more difficult or less reliable, and they are also more cost effective.
Trumbot 4:46 PM - 30 March, 2011
Get yourself some QSC K-series Active speakers. They're amazingly clean and loud. I rock 2 K-12s and a K-Sub and it's been magnificent.

www.qscaudio.com
DJ.Tyme 4:52 PM - 30 March, 2011
The new yamaha's sound way better & have more power than the qsc's go to your local guitar center & check them out I did a side by side & went with the yamaha's
pdidy 1:00 AM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
yamaha

and would u be referring to the Yamaha DSR112 Powered Speaker ? www.guitarcenter.com
yes they are receiving very good reviews, many are saying better than the k12 an jbl 612.
JDforKing 1:17 AM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
The new yamaha's sound way better & have more power than the qsc's go to your local guitar center & check them out I did a side by side & went with the yamaha's

I think they are more in the class of the qsc kw, not the k 12s. Look at the specs
DJ.Tyme 3:00 AM - 31 March, 2011
Yeah I Bought A Pair Of Yamaha's DSR115's Man They Pound
lunizus 2:54 AM - 3 September, 2011
I am in need of advise as I am going thru the same dilemma.

I want Good sounding 15".

How is EV vs Eons

Or Harbinger?

Much appreciated.
Paco71 8:05 AM - 3 September, 2011
I prefer EV over the Eons...

Harbinger or berhinger ? anyway I prefer the two brand above over the las one ;)

By the way it depends of your budget...

My favorite brand is RCF that is over th Eons and the first EV Price... and on par with the most expensive Powered EV...

Go to see the ART 715 or ART 725, ART 415 or Art 425 ;)
DJ.Tyme 3:50 PM - 3 September, 2011
it depends of your budget,but are you looking @ Powered Speakers (active) Or Non Powered (passive) ? just my Lil story = 1st im a mobile dj and im always trying to lighten my load. here's my 1st set up = Qsc Rmx-2450 and two yamaha's s115v's. (that amp is way to heavy to be lugging around) 2nd set up = sold the Qsc amp and bought the yamaha P7000s power amp. (nice light weight amp) 3rd set up i have now = i sold the yamaha amp and speakers and got = Yamaha DSR 115's (they are the best sounding period) do what i did. i went to Guitar Center and checked out (and heard) these speakers for myself = Qsc Kw152 / Jbl Prx615m / Mackie Th-15A / Berhinger B215D. the guy was at 1st like damm this dude is a pain (BUT) i let him know i had cash in hand and was leaving the store with something :-) so he let me hear each one of them with my own cd that i brought with me, so i kould hear songs that i was gonna be playing and not the junk they show you in the stores. in the end the Yamaha DSR115's were the ticket. SORRY FOR THE BIG ASS LONG STORY,BUT HEY I HOPE IT GIVES YOU SOME IDEA OF A REAL DJ'S TEST.
lunizus 6:47 PM - 3 September, 2011
Thanks guys, Harbinger. it was at Guitar Center. I am really at a stump. I want powered, but want good clean sound for low price. I know if I want good sound I need to drop money, but is there a combination that balances out good sound and money?
DJ.Tyme 7:26 PM - 3 September, 2011
well like i said if you read my post in detail. i tried alot of them with my own cd. go listen to them for yourself,look @ the prices of each one and make a decision. thats the best advice i kan give
lunizus 8:47 PM - 3 September, 2011
Thanks Tyme. Will Do
DJ.Tyme 11:17 PM - 3 September, 2011
no prob. just make sure to take your own cd,even if you don't spin with cd's anymore. this way you know what they sound like with your type of music you dj with and not what ever the store guy has on hand Lil Jon - Get Low Is A Real Good Bass Test :-)