DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Most durable best sounding DJ headphones?

Devilboy4u247 7:02 AM - 21 March, 2011
What are the most durable best sounding DJ headphones?

I just broke my Pioneer HDJ1000 headphones because it cracked right after the hinge after less than 2 years this weekend and I am looking for a new pair that is durable and sounds great.

Until I get some replies I am just going to glue it back for now and hope it does not fall apart at my next gig this weekend.

Thanx
jwagner 7:23 AM - 21 March, 2011
cue bezzle
Laz219 7:29 AM - 21 March, 2011
HDJ1's always break there.

Sennheiser HD25s.
Billy18bm 1:44 PM - 22 March, 2011
Technics.. RDP-1200's will never die boiiii
terrible1fi 3:11 PM - 22 March, 2011
Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.
aj5000 5:10 PM - 22 March, 2011
That's why I'm done with headphones broke every pair i own after a year so I'm going with in ear monitor by Shure
Devilboy4u247 5:28 PM - 22 March, 2011
Quote:

i broke a pair of Technics already.
cracked right at the part part that slides
WestCoastAvenger 6:38 PM - 22 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

i use it for everyday (commute) listening and djing..
Corex 7:15 PM - 22 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

Sennheiser HD25s.
DJWALDO 8:33 PM - 22 March, 2011
the search function. bar none the best ever
Djaward 9:11 PM - 22 March, 2011
Another headphone thread..............
i225.photobucket.com
DJWALDO 10:05 PM - 22 March, 2011
5th one this week....
Devilboy4u247 2:07 AM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

Sennheiser HD25s.

What about the MONSTER BEATS PRO?
westell54 2:35 AM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

Quote:

Sennheiser HD25s.

Sennheiser HD25s.

Nice but very fragile as well. I've gone over to a pair of Shure in-ear monitors for a while to see how I like them. So far so good except for the microphonics. Not much of an issue but worth mentioning.
dj_soo 3:20 AM - 23 March, 2011
sennheiser hd25s - 5 years and running on the same pair
sl1200 5:19 AM - 23 March, 2011
Sennheiser HD25's
DJ Unique 5:25 AM - 23 March, 2011
Sennheiser HD25-II
AT^ 5:27 AM - 23 March, 2011
Ultrasone DJ1 PRO's
mikep 6:33 AM - 23 March, 2011
koss
MelonHead 6:48 AM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
Ultrasone DJ1 PRO's

+1
although i have the non Pro.. still great cans!
Devilboy4u247 1:54 AM - 25 March, 2011
looks like i make get the Beats Pro or the Sennheiser HD25 II
DJTommyP 5:40 PM - 3 May, 2011
Ultrasone DJ1 (non Pro) failed at head connection!! Gaffer Tape quickfix...lol

what about Pioneer HDJ-2000? Any probs with those?
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:50 PM - 3 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sennheiser HD25s.

Quote:
Sennheiser HD25s.

Sennheiser HD25s.

Nice but very fragile as well..

your crazy if you think the pros are fragile
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:53 PM - 3 May, 2011
Quote:
cue bezzle

its good to know my opinion is respected in this field......of course im sure you meant

serato.com

www.skratchworx.com
Mista Cham 8:11 PM - 3 May, 2011
SONY 7506.... Industry Standard!!!!!
HandsomeRobDJ 8:54 PM - 3 May, 2011
Quote:

+100

I've had mine for about 10 years and they're like brand new. Not cause i baby em either.
DJ Tecniq 1:32 AM - 4 May, 2011
So Shure needles are pretty much the standard for dj's. How about their headphones has anyone tried Shure headphones? I see them in pro sound mags all the time. Can someone comment on them?
HandsomeRobDJ 4:00 AM - 4 May, 2011
m447's fa sho
Warren T. 10:31 AM - 4 May, 2011
The Beats look flash and all, but trust me they will not withstand the harsh routines of DJing at gigs. The HD-25s are the Technics 1200s equivalent to headphones. They are bulletproof (friend had them for 10 over years..never broke), amazing sound quality, great isolation and every part is replaceable, so you don't have to throw them away if it breaks. Go with the Sennheisers. You are not just buying headphones, you are investing in a DJ & production tool that will last you for many years to come.
Dubplate10" 10:39 AM - 4 May, 2011
Technics still going after 10+ years for me also
jroc453 12:41 PM - 4 May, 2011
Quote:
Ultrasone DJ1 PRO's

+1000 LOVE MINE!!!
DJ Klyph 3:41 PM - 4 May, 2011
Quote:
So Shure needles are pretty much the standard for dj's. How about their headphones has anyone tried Shure headphones? I see them in pro sound mags all the time. Can someone comment on them?

Great sound, very comfortable, stupid fragile. I'm pretty careful with my gear - don't have mony to replace stuff. Broke right at the hinge. Now in the market as well.
philldafunk 5:28 PM - 4 May, 2011
C'mon guys he's looking for both durability and sound quality, not the proverbial "best headphones" available.

While the 700's will break, they're still my favorite cans. I haven't tried the 25s though
Warren T. 3:58 AM - 5 May, 2011
Luckily for him, the HD25s are unbeatable in terms of sound quality & durability. Worth the hype and the price? Most definitely.
Corex 4:29 AM - 5 May, 2011
Quote:
Luckily for him, the HD25s are unbeatable in terms of sound quality & durability. Worth the hype and the price? Most definitely.
DJ P Dot 7:48 AM - 5 May, 2011
Quote:
The Beats look flash and all, but trust me they will not withstand the harsh routines of DJing at gigs. The HD-25s are the Technics 1200s equivalent to headphones. They are bulletproof (friend had them for 10 over years..never broke), amazing sound quality, great isolation and every part is replaceable, so you don't have to throw them away if it breaks. Go with the Sennheisers. You are not just buying headphones, you are investing in a DJ & production tool that will last you for many years to come.

Just like in that other post they are talking about the newer BEATS PRO not the regular plastic Beats. the Pro's have all metal joints
DJ Pullout 1:21 PM - 5 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Ultrasone DJ1 PRO's

+1000 LOVE MINE!!!

Frequency Range is 10 - 22.000 Hz. Thats bogus! Why sacrifice?
Devilboy4u247 10:13 PM - 10 August, 2012
i got Beats Pros and they are rally durable and also V-Modas now are really durable
Alcane 1:14 PM - 10 October, 2012
Sennheiser HD25
mikep 4:05 PM - 10 October, 2012
Again, I still love my KOSS headphones and their lifetime warranty.
DJ Matty Stiles 4:54 PM - 10 October, 2012
i can only go by what ive owned

beats by dre pros are sturdy as hell - good sounding as well despite what the haters say

sennheiser hd-25s have lasted me over 5 years - less bass but more crisp sounding - good isolation

sony MDR-V700DJ are poorly built imo - broke after about a month - dont drop em. very good bass on these if thats what youre in to
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:59 PM - 10 October, 2012
AIAIAI TMA-1s are the most durable cans I've owned. I've broken a set of almost every kind listed in this thread.
Dj Nyce 12:44 AM - 13 October, 2012
Quote:
AIAIAI TMA-1s are the most durable cans I've owned. I've broken a set of almost every kind listed in this thread.

winner winner chicken dinner

i have the pio hdj 2000 blacks. time will tell how durable they are, but they sound and look great.
phatbob 1:50 AM - 13 October, 2012
HD25 till I die.

They'll probably last till I die, too.

My pair are almost 10 years old and still going strong. 1 set of pads and 2 cables in al that time.
Manny C dot com 8:54 AM - 13 October, 2012
If you're handy with JB-Weld, you fix those bad boys right up.

Translation:
Don't look at my headphone hinges when the lights come on at the end of the night.
jwagner 11:27 AM - 13 October, 2012
so what is the point of buying expensive headphones again?
Jairen 2:24 PM - 13 October, 2012
Quote:
so what is the point of buying expensive headphones again?

Durability
spirez 11:40 AM - 17 October, 2012
Another vote for AiAiAi TMA-1s. I don't even worry about just throwing these in my bag, whereas my HDJ-1000s always had to be handled cautiously. They're good for every day use too, although the iPhone cable that came with mine ended up dying and the cover for the buttons fell off.

But the headphones themselves and the DJ cord are solid
spirez 11:48 AM - 17 October, 2012
Oh, has anyone tried the studio version of the TMA-1? May pick up a pair when I pick up my producing skills, if it will make a difference?
dj-freestyle 3:39 PM - 17 October, 2012
ive used them all at least once and by far my denon 1000 have held up and sound the best over a 25 year career.
Auzy 11:10 PM - 9 November, 2013
Don't bother with Sony headphones similar to the MDR-V55. Easily broke within 1.5years (and I barely used them). Reviews were also flooded by people's breaking.

HD25's look ugly, but all parts are replacement, so judging by this thread, that's what my next pair will be (Thanks guys).
DJ GaFFle 11:29 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:

HD25's look ugly, but all parts are replacement, so judging by this thread, that's what my next pair will be (Thanks guys).

+1 but I'd say NO to them as an owner and user of both the HD25's and Pioneer HDJ-2000's. When at a gig and playing through the Rane TTM57 or Numark NS6, the Pioneers sound MUCH better in terms of sound quality and output and LOOK 20x better on my head. I caught my Pioneers for $139 on a massive liquidation at Best Buy. I'm not saying they're more durable overall, just saying for DJ'ing, the Pioneers are better for gigging. I have not yet done a sound quality comparison between the two in other listening scenarios.

(nm)
Niro 7:29 AM - 10 November, 2013
I prefer the look and sound of the HD25's over the pioneer.
Auzy 9:45 AM - 10 November, 2013
I actually changed my mind to the V-Moda Crossfire M100's. They seem like a much more durable unit for a cheaper price than the Pioneer's (at least here in Australia), and the custom printed shield seems like a really cool idea (not sure what I'd get printed on it yet).
Devilboy4u247 11:06 PM - 9 March, 2014
I ended up with beats pros and I do love them
eugguy 1:48 AM - 10 March, 2014
Quote:

lol
Auzy 5:23 AM - 10 May, 2014
Had my V-Moda's for a while now.. Still in perfect shape, still have no regrets. They aren't the most balanced headphones out there, but they are actually built better than I expected, and the custom shields I got for it worked out really well.
Taipanic 3:35 AM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

lol

Don't laugh, now that Apple has bought them everyone will want them as soon as they come out with a model with a lighted Apple Logo on each earpiece.
eugguy 5:55 AM - 11 May, 2014
Fml
DJ Irv 1:58 PM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol

Don't laugh, now that Apple has bought them everyone will want them as soon as they come out with a model with a lighted Apple Logo on each earpiece.

I believe that Beats are a trend . A long lived trend but, a trend nonetheless. Apple I think is lost without Jobs and made purchase out of desperation. Beats is not worth 3billion. No way no how.

No offense to people who have beats. I never used them but they're alright with me. My headphone of choice is ATH-PRO5MK2 camouflage because 60bucks gets me a decent pair of headphones I can beat up for a couple of years.
DJMark 8:37 PM - 11 May, 2014
I think the Beats purchase is still a "rumor" at this point, but if it's true it makes me think that the ghosts of Sculley/Spindler/Amelio have come back to haunt Apple.

It's a move one might have expected from a lost/clueless Microsoft under Steve Ballmer trying to score marketing "street cred", but seems to make little sense if Apple is actually doing this.
Taipanic 2:25 PM - 12 May, 2014
I think Apple bought Beats more for the streaming music service than the hardware sales but of course they will try to maximize profits from both.
DJ GaFFle 2:27 PM - 12 May, 2014
How much of Beats did Dr. Dre own?
Taipanic 2:45 PM - 12 May, 2014
I believe Dre & Jimmy Iovine owned up to 50% of the Company. HTC had owned 51% at one point but had sold off 25% of that stake, mostly to Carlyle group & Universal Music Group.
XCAKID 3:38 PM - 12 May, 2014
V-Moda Crossfade
DJ GaFFle 12:59 AM - 13 May, 2014
Quote:
V-Moda Crossfade

Your Yoda avatar disagrees.
Manny C dot com 4:44 AM - 13 May, 2014
V-MODA, or go home.
Manny C dot com 4:51 AM - 13 May, 2014
The DR 2:16 PM - 13 May, 2014
Aiaiai TMA-1s. Great design. Have had them for 2.5 years and haven't managed to find a fault.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 6:46 PM - 13 May, 2014
XCAKID 8:31 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
V-Moda Crossfade

Yoda is a great DJ, but know nothing about headphones. LOL
DJ GaFFle 4:20 PM - 17 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
V-Moda Crossfade

Yoda is a great DJ, but know nothing about headphones. LOL

If I were in the market for new cans, I'd choose either the VModa's or new Sennheiser HD8's.
jstarr 5:25 PM - 31 July, 2015
I posted this link on another thread in this forum, which is something I put together to source the best headphones for DJs. This post mentioned durability as a factor, which I can't believe I forgot, so I added 'Build Quality' into the mix. You can now set that priority and literally find the most durable cans. cheers.

www.acqurate.com
eugguy 12:35 AM - 1 August, 2015
Too much fluff. Sennheiser hd25. Pioneer hdj2000/mk2. Sennheiser hd8. Limit your choices to the best quality/flagships. Most dj headphones are pretty generic in the way they fit sound. These three are definetly different in each presentation of fit and sound.
dizzyrocks2001 3:21 PM - 1 August, 2015
I have owned a million different pairs of "ear goggles" over the years and the one thing I've always had a problem with is the swivel joint breaking. Most headphones would only last me about 6 months before the swivel joint broke. When looking for a new pair of headphones on online forums etc. other DJs would say it was my fault because I wasn't treating my headphones "gingerly" enough when taking them on and off - eff that! I did not accept that criticism! It's not like I was ripping them off my head and throwing them around, I was using my headphones normally, I just have a big head lol! So when the Pioneer HDJ 2000s first came out and I read they have a titanium alloy swivel joint I went out a bought a pair right away and they've been going strong ever since (I don't know how long the 2000s have been out for but I think it's been about 4 years). So I knew it wasn't neglect that was causing my headphones to break in the past, it was the weak-ass swivel joints. Plus the memory foam ear pads on the 2000s are super comfortable, and the headphones sound great and have good isolation. I've heard people complain they're too heavy. Too heavy??? How weak are the necks of these people lol?
DJ GaFFle 1:00 PM - 2 August, 2015
^^^ I like the HDJ2000's too. For big headed people, they look best because they don't stick out like other headphones. They have a snug fit.
DJ Reflex 12:00 AM - 3 August, 2015
I have the older 1000's and guess what??? The swivel joint broke. A bit of epoxy and a screw fixed it, but now I have a new problem. The foam is wearing off and leaving bits of black rubber all over my face on those hot sweaty gigs! Yikes, I look like I have dead gnats all over my ears! I ordered new pads off eBay - I can't wait to swap them out. I still like the headphones, but Pioneer should have done some more product testing on those models.
eugguy 2:38 AM - 3 August, 2015
Pioneer is ok. Tbh, never has really impressed me. Feels cheap. I recently picked up the newer model hdj2000's. They also broke on me. You figure for $350 plus, they would hold up. At this point I have tried many many many headphones as well as iems. For mixing in headphones, iems are way more preferable as they have a ton more headroom and allow you to hear more detail due to the power/isolation factor. A really great pair of headphones that pretty much blows away all other overpriced dj headphones is the ath pro 700 mk2. They win in durability, and sound. The bass and output on them is outstanding. For headphones in that price range, it's hard to beat.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 10:27 AM - 3 August, 2015
for $300 Beatz are still working after 1 1/2 years...
Taipanic 1:49 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
I have the older 1000's and guess what??? The swivel joint broke. A bit of epoxy and a screw fixed it, but now I have a new problem. The foam is wearing off and leaving bits of black rubber all over my face on those hot sweaty gigs! Yikes, I look like I have dead gnats all over my ears! I ordered new pads off eBay - I can't wait to swap them out. I still like the headphones, but Pioneer should have done some more product testing on those models.

Once all the black crap wears off you will have a nice soft gray fabric material for the pads. It's actually an improvement.
Dj_Roger 1:53 PM - 3 August, 2015
Philips A5-Pro...Great build and sound, hands down the best headphones i have used and i have used a few :-)
Try them, you will be surprised.

www.philips.com.hk
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:15 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:

Same with me. I bought replacement pads online for the hdj1000s. On the flip, I thought the pads shipped as a pair so I clicked buy only to realise that I bought only one. I haven't bought the second one as I will have to pay €15 for shipping. €50 spree qualifies for free shipping. So I'm waiting to need other stuff before I buy it. Using my aluminium Senheisers and they rock.
They get kinda entangled on my neck when using them to DJ though. I think they were designed to be worn at all time rather than the way I use them ie the one ear method
SpareChange 7:13 PM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:

Always had the same problem with the Technics headphones as well..been through a ton of headphones over the years. never can seem to get a pair to last me for more than 2 years
Dj Markus 2:57 AM - 7 March, 2016
Read all the hype about the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's. They are nice, don't get me wrong. Everything everyone is raving about, I would agree with. Something I found no one talking about was how low the volume is. IMO, they're just not load enough, for me anyway. They would be perfect for studio/home. Took them to the club and had to crank the volume. I've owned the Allen & Heath Xone XD53's for 7 years and have never put the levels that high. I understand loud doesn't always equal good, but this is the only flaw I found and was enough for me to send them back. Trying the Pioneer's HDJ 2000's next.
Laz219 5:27 AM - 7 March, 2016
Quote:
Read all the hype about the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's. They are nice, don't get me wrong. Everything everyone is raving about, I would agree with. Something I found no one talking about was how low the volume is. IMO, they're just not load enough, for me anyway. They would be perfect for studio/home. Took them to the club and had to crank the volume. I've owned the Allen & Heath Xone XD53's for 7 years and have never put the levels that high. I understand loud doesn't always equal good, but this is the only flaw I found and was enough for me to send them back. Trying the Pioneer's HDJ 2000's next.

Compared to the HDJ1000s I had before I switch to Senns, they definitely are quiet.
However I've never really found them not to be loud enough in any situation.