Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJT1 review @skratchworx

I1Kirm 9:17 AM - 18 March, 2011
skratchworx.com

Huge review but the bottom line is that DDJT1 is fine as long as it's used in a bedroom...
Rather disappointing isn't it? At this point I am just hoping that Pioneer put a lot more effort in the DDJS1 especially on the audio interface, which according to the review is just average on the DDJT1. I don't scratch so I don't really care for the crossfader but this also seems to be a weak point on the T1. Given the Serato's pedigree the cf on the S1 must be a solid one otherwise Pioneer will have a tough time convincing DJs to buy it....
Paco71 10:30 AM - 18 March, 2011
From What I saw in the Mixmove (a french Deejay Show), Pioneer, took more care on the S1 than the T1.
I tested both and the S1 seems to be more precise and have a very good sound quality.

But in my mind the two have the same sound Card, so...
djcerla 11:10 AM - 18 March, 2011
A very professional review.
casket hands 4:30 PM - 18 March, 2011
Slightly disappointing but perhaps the pioneer name is causing it to be held to a slightly higher standard.
laraway 5:35 PM - 18 March, 2011
still don't get why the s1 only has 2 channels. anyone know why? I had a play with the t1 and wasn't that impressed with it quality. I'm holding out for itch 2 and if it sucks will be buying an s4
zaguama 6:15 PM - 18 March, 2011
wow great review, so detailed in every aspect, love skratchworx, hopefully he will get a review unit of the NS6 ;)
kraal 4:35 PM - 19 March, 2011
The DDJ-S1 DJ controller is specifically designed for use with the popular Serato ITCHâ„¢ DJ software and for the next generation of DJ entertainers who leverage digital music files at home or on the go.

The DDJ-t1 This controller is designed for the next generation of home and casual DJs who leverage digital music files everywhere they go.

interesting how this is split and worded
djcerla 5:06 PM - 19 March, 2011
Quote:
leverage digital music files

is it just my impression of non-native English speaker or this expression is really plain ugly?
kraal 5:11 PM - 19 March, 2011
it's a bad term ... sounds insulting actually like and ipod player :)
casket hands 5:12 PM - 19 March, 2011
someone sitting with a thesaurus for a little too long
skratchworx 5:34 PM - 19 March, 2011
Quote:
wow great review, so detailed in every aspect, love skratchworx, hopefully he will get a review unit of the NS6 ;)

That is guaranteed.
DJ dVO 6:55 PM - 19 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

That is guaranteed.

Spill the beans, Mark. When will the review of the NS6 hit the street? Soon? Itch 2.0 soon or soon real soon? :)
skratchworx 9:53 PM - 19 March, 2011
I was offered one, but the software wasn't ready enough. Whatever version that was I don't know. I guess it'll be ready soon enough though as Hoska is out and about doing demos. Whether it's v2 is anyone's guess.
I1Kirm 1:29 AM - 20 March, 2011
If it is indeed v2 then this will be the more dissapointing update EVER!!! Let's hope it is 1.8 or 1.9
Kmxorbit 1:48 PM - 20 March, 2011
@Skratchworx: Very nice review... Honest and detailed. All I wanted to know...

Just 1 Question: In your perspective, what do you mean by and i quote:
"The DDJ-T1 isn't intended for use in night-clubs, bars or festivals, places where a catastrophic hardware failure would prove problematic. It's intended for use by hobbyists and bedroom DJs that are just starting out and honing their skills; people for whom a software crash would be an annoyance, but ultimately no big deal."

is it because it you don't have enough possibilities as a back up plan? if yes, but then the Vci nor the Ns7 offers that backup possibility either or do i miss the point here?
I1Kirm 2:05 PM - 20 March, 2011
Great point
skratchworx 2:45 PM - 20 March, 2011
You'd need to post your question to the reviewer Andrew Unsworth here: www.skratchworx.com
Lushzero 3:17 AM - 28 March, 2011
I can not believe that the ddj-t1 does not have an aux pass, it makes this unit useless for anything other then bedroom djing. Very disappointing Pioneer, I will be returning it for the s4. I was hoping that could get something that looks close to my cdj1000-djm800 rig I don't really like how the s4 looks and the jog wheels on the ddj-t1 are way better. Pioneer needs make a product like the numark mixdesk, cdj's aux and phono in's effects and the ability to use it as a stand alone mixer and have midi maps for traktor, serato and vdj. C' mon WTF make a good pro stuff and people will spend the extra $$$.
Paco71 6:14 AM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
C' mon WTF make a good pro stuff and people will spend the extra $$$

Don't worry for them, the DDJ serie is selling like hot cakes ;)
Lushzero 6:33 AM - 28 March, 2011
What I was trying to say is make a ddj with moble pro's in mind can't do big events without a backup input for my iPhone. I would spend $2500 for pro functionalty.
Paco71 9:17 AM - 28 March, 2011
You have an Aux input on the DDJs so what is the issue ?
skratchworx 12:18 PM - 28 March, 2011
Pioneer pretty much say that the DDJ-T1 is for beginners, so while it has the basics and then some, it's not really aimed at pros.
Lushzero 2:25 PM - 28 March, 2011
They missed the mark with is product, The ddj-s1 has an aux pass so I have no Idea why they would have not put that on ddj-t1. I would have kept it if had that one very basic and important feature. I am mostly mobie so i need a back-up becuse as we all know computers crash at some point!! The cheeper mixdesk has loads more for $700, but it feels plastic and it doesn't sound very good.
Lushzero 2:26 PM - 28 March, 2011
You can't use the aux without the computer running traktor... So stupid!!!
Paco71 2:53 PM - 28 March, 2011
Oh ok there's no Thru on the T1.

That make sense they said that all the mixing is done by Traktor.
The T1 does not have external circuit, that's why it's cheaper too.
Ragman 6:55 PM - 28 March, 2011
Quote:
Pioneer pretty much say that the DDJ-T1 is for beginners, so while it has the basics and then some, it's not really aimed at pros.

@Lushzero
Please see Gizmo's post above. Pio did not make the T1 controller for professional use and have stated this.
I1Kirm 7:15 PM - 28 March, 2011
They said more or less the same for the S1 but this hasn't stop pros from buying it. On the other hand the S1 is indeed more professional oriented despite Pio's words.
DjLaidback 8:06 PM - 13 April, 2014
A good Dj knows his crowd ahead of time. Both controllers fit their purpose. Of course it's not a powerful enough sound card to play at a big event. But spend some cash and get a powered PA system and they work just fine for company parties, weddings and a whole list of other events. Outside of that, get 2 turntables and a mixer like a real dj for entertaining real music heads.
Ragman 11:45 PM - 13 April, 2014
Quote:
A good Dj knows his crowd ahead of time. [...]

Sometimes you can get thrown into a last minute situation. That's when experience will hopefully see you through it.