DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Laptop placement – GET A CLUE

Manny C dot com 3:56 AM - 8 March, 2011
Having your laptop screen right in front of your face might be most comfortable for you, but it looks RETARDED AS HELL from the audience's perspective. Just sayin'.
Manny C dot com 4:00 AM - 8 March, 2011
To clarify: I'm referring to DJs that keep the screen at eye-level.
Dj Shamann 4:17 AM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Having your laptop screen right in front of your face might be most comfortable for you, but it looks RETARDED AS HELL from a watching Dj's perspective. Just sayin'.

Fixed.

Quote:

I'm tall so even if I have it jacked up as high as it can go, it's still barely chest level so it doesn't matter to me, but who cares?

No offense, but is this really what we should be worried about in 2011?
DJWarrenKelly 4:19 AM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Having your laptop screen right in front of your face might be most comfortable for you, but it looks RETARDED AS HELL from a watching Dj's perspective. Just sayin'.

Fixed.

Quote:

I'm tall so even if I have it jacked up as high as it can go, it's still barely chest level so it doesn't matter to me, but who cares?

I concur ;)
MelonHead 4:20 AM - 8 March, 2011
i guess I'm retarded :(
philldafunk 4:29 AM - 8 March, 2011
I normally place min to the side... Don't want people to think I'm just matching waveforms
Manny C dot com 6:17 AM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
...from a watching Dj's perspective.

I was actually basing my statement on pics that I have seen online.

Anyway, yeah, I knew that it would come off as "abrasive" and rub certain people the wrong way. I decided to throw it our there anyway just to see what the general consensus was (even if the entire forum turns on me - LOL).
ta2423 8:10 AM - 8 March, 2011
My ish fills the whole table. I would love to have it off to the side. Havent found what would fit in for it off to the side in my setup situation. A 17 mbp right in front of me in my thoughts is more beautiful than my face. Not to mention I stand more to my left than dead center.
Laz219 9:36 AM - 8 March, 2011
I always keep my laptop over the right turntable. Using regular vinyl/ABS mode it's a pain because it does block some tonearm access but in relative it's perfectly out of the way but still within easy reach.
DJ metaphor 9:46 AM - 8 March, 2011
I usually have my laptop over my mixer. But i'm tall, and my stand is short. It keeps it directly over the mixer... so its nice and out of the way..

Guys! if your constantly looking at your laptop. you'll miss the important action going on in the crowd! so keep that ish outta the way!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:01 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:

+1

At one spot the booth where I spin is small and cramped - only place is above the mixer on a stand. I have a short stage in front of the booth but the majority of the dancefloor is to my left so I spend most of my time looking to the left at the dancefloor (or looking at the chicks dancing in the mirror to the immediate left of the DJ booth).

At the other spot - I keep the laptop to the far left (it is about 6 ft+ away from the right turntable) and I miss having it in front of me to trigger loops and cue points - I have Dicers but too lazy to hook them up sometimes.

Important thing is read the crowd and watch the dancefloor.
bustamove 3:34 PM - 8 March, 2011
I guess all these guys are retahds...
Watchwww.youtube.com
www.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJWarrenKelly 4:03 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
I guess all these guys are retahds...
Watchwww.youtube.com
www.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

Hahahaha...before you call people RETARDS you should learn how to spell it..what are you?....from the east coast..lol

Love that Jazzy/AM vid ...so bad ass
DJ Benny B NYC 4:32 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
retahds...

hes obvi from boston
jwagner 4:38 PM - 8 March, 2011
Some booths are dark and elevated. If thats the case the only way people will be able to see your face is if the computer is in front of you and the light is illuminating your face...
DJ Benny B NYC 4:46 PM - 8 March, 2011
its also bad for your eyes prob
DJ Jonasty 6:07 PM - 8 March, 2011
Laptops in front = lame. Sorry guys but it is.
BERTO 7:09 PM - 8 March, 2011
Yea laptop on floor or behind you is cool! Also it has to be a Mac and on a milkcrate that you use to keep real records in, and it has to be technics ur spinning on and 400 dollar cvs u got on ebay that there are only limited amounts worlwide, and a gshock watch.
BERTO 7:11 PM - 8 March, 2011
Andit cant be any gshock it has to be the adult swim special edition of course,
StreetFighta 7:14 PM - 8 March, 2011
I've noticed on this forum that people are EXTREMELY concerned with the actions of others.
BERTO 7:19 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
I've noticed on this forum that people are EXTREMELY concerned with the actions of others.

+1 who cares where that shit is placed
bustamove 7:22 PM - 8 March, 2011
Would placing the laptop underneath the booth look less lame? I dunno I wanna look like a real cool DJ. Help me out guys...
BERTO 7:23 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Would placing the laptop underneath the booth look less lame? I dunno I wanna look like a real cool DJ. Help me out guys...

What u want to do is run real long usn cables for ur laptop in ur car locked of course that way u have less to carry when ur set is over
bustamove 7:29 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

What u want to do is run real long usn cables for ur laptop in ur car locked of course that way u have less to carry when ur set is over

F*ckin brilliant! See thats why I come here, you guys are awesome!

Wait a minute.. how will they see my super dope laptop stickers? Only real Djs have laptop stickers...
BERTO 7:36 PM - 8 March, 2011
Laptop stickers go on your 120 dollar christian Audigier shirt
BERTO 7:37 PM - 8 March, 2011
Usn=usb
Djaward 7:48 PM - 8 March, 2011
To me, having my laptop in front of me is comfortable. Im not tall at all but my laptop is at chest level also.
Crackpipe 8:03 PM - 8 March, 2011
I prefer my laptop to the side because I'm a believer in the energy connection between the DJ and the crowd and I feel the laptop breaks that connection. Laptop feng shui lol.

I also don't like having the laptop screen right in front of my face.
DJ Remy USA 8:09 PM - 8 March, 2011
It doesn't matter were it sits as long as if it's in arm reach. Still very lame and beat to death subject
Joshua Carl 8:12 PM - 8 March, 2011
esthetics aside heres something to think about.

connecting vs being disconnected with your crowd.
if your in a room with 3-5 floors, and maybe 75 of the 500 people that are in the
spot are gonna see you...than really; whats the difference right?
the only people on that level it would matter to is other djs calling "phoney"

but if your on stage, or are in a performance booth (IE the majority of the crowd is looking AT you, not just randomly facing any direction in the club)
I think you are potentially disconnecting yourself from enhancing your set with
crowd connection...
its all relative to who you are and what you are doing.

but I think back to pre dvs days and I know I felt watching guys like Carl COx, Donald Glaude ,Derrick Carter & James Zabiela was a "WATCH THE DJ" Event.
they were always center stage, always puttin on a show.
where as when some of the less enthusiatic, but just as talented guys came through
they put them up in the normal dj booth...IE: disconnected
being able to see ones face I think is a huge connect for your crowd if your in
"performance mode"....
and lets face it, you can (if need be) wavewatch with it on your side.
CMOS 8:16 PM - 8 March, 2011
Do you guys stand perfectly still behind them laptops, im constantly moving around from side to side so the laptop in front of me really doesnt block my view or anything.
Joshua Carl 8:23 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Do you guys stand perfectly still behind them laptops, im constantly moving around from side to side so the laptop in front of me really doesnt block my view or anything.

Ive certainly seen that plenty.

its hard to move around when ur eyes are concentrating for dear life on a 3x2 inch space on the laptop screen...facepalm
CMOS 8:26 PM - 8 March, 2011
LOLOL^^^^^^^
DJWALDO 8:38 PM - 8 March, 2011
once again proving dj's are just a whiny bunch of bitches.

you dj with a laptop not straight vinyl? wtf kinda shit is that.....

7 years later....

you dj with your laptop infront of you and not to the side? wtf kinda shit is that....

7 years from now....

you bought the mind controlled software instead of using a laptop? wtf kinda shit is that...

STOP FUCKING BITCHING START FUCKING PRACTICING
BERTO 8:40 PM - 8 March, 2011
Waldo u havent downloaded MindMidi yet? Ur old school and +1 to ^
Joshua Carl 8:40 PM - 8 March, 2011
DJWALDO 8:48 PM - 8 March, 2011
I don't mean to be "that guy" but damn.... is this really what this game is? I worry about what people sound like... could care less what they look like. Look at 80% of Enferno's "in the club" vids... all from traveling city to city country to country the set up is done by the house.... laptop in front. the house doesn't care because the crowd pretty much doesn't care. As long as the registers are ringing, the ladies are getting free drinks, and the dudes have ladies to look at... all is well in the club I promise. The Dj (while he or she SHOULD sound good) is an afterthought 7 of 10 times.
Dj Shamann 9:00 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Laptops in front = lame. Sorry guys but it is.

Sorry, guys, but the expert Jonasty has spoken. And you know it's the truth because when somebody says "sorry guys, but it is" it's the end all and be all. Accept it as law and move on with your lives.

I'd say If you don't see so well it's even more retah'ded to be bent over the left or right of the set squinting because you put your laptop 10 feet away where it's "cool" and not lame. I'd wear glasses but then someone would probably start a thread about that too. ;p
CMOS 9:02 PM - 8 March, 2011
I just moved my dayjob screen off to the side, fuck all this needing to type and read shit. IM KEEPIN IT REAL!
Joshua Carl 9:07 PM - 8 March, 2011
we are a different breed man, you know that. what we like, what we want is completetly different from that joe & jolene club-goer wants.
(thats what makes them moron's remember...we need to hold that music elitist
card high fellas!!!)

if it wasnt there would be about 5 female djs working rather than 500.
all these guys celebrity djs wouldnt exist.
all these quick to the top djs (due to their looks & reality shows) would not exist.
dj booths would be reverted back to the dark closets.

sad fact is, people DO care...(are they gonna walk out of the club becuase of
laptop placement? certainly not...)
dont like it. buts its true....the days of "music is the answer" only lies in OUR hearts.

the people who care MORE about the fine dealings of a set are such a minority
and a majority of that minority is made up of DJs.
Dj Shamann 9:09 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
I just moved my dayjob screen off to the side, fuck all this needing to type and read shit. IM KEEPIN IT REAL!

LOL!!!!

Quote:
Quote:

...from a watching Dj's perspective.

I was actually basing my statement on pics that I have seen online.

Anyway, yeah, I knew that it would come off as "abrasive" and rub certain people the wrong way. I decided to throw it our there anyway just to see what the general consensus was (even if the entire forum turns on me - LOL).

Meh, it's an opinion and everyone's got one, we're all just shooting the shit here. But I think the general consensus speaks for itself in this issue (regardless of what certain people think) the majority doesn't think it's very important. By design computers are usually placed directly in front of the user, a laptop isn't called an across-the-room-top for a reason, so people are naturally going to put it where they're used to it. If you're used to it being off to the side, so be it, but I'm not going to spend more than the glance I took to notice it, caring whether you do it or not.
Manny C dot com 12:30 AM - 9 March, 2011
To clarify YET AGAIN, I'm referring to the "hiding behind the screen" type of setup (where the laptop is directly in front of the DJ's face). I think it looks awful.

While I agree that what a DJ does, should be more about "sound", I also think that in this day and age, "presentation" is important (with exceptions for situations where the booth is tucked away somewhere out of the spotlight). I also believe in making certain sacrifices for the sake of aesthetics.

For the record, I wasn't trying to say that everybody should be playing with their laptop off to the side or out of sight.

While I used to always want mine set to the side, I now have it front and center. However, I ALWAYS HAVE IT SITTING LOW because I think it looks like shit when it's in front of the DJ's face.

But that's just my opinion. Granted, I stated it in such a way that would come off as offensive to those who don't agree. I'll have to work on that - LOL.
Joshua Carl 1:06 AM - 9 March, 2011
funny story.
one of the spots I play at has a 27inch Imac 1 foot from your face.
no lie.... sure its nice to walk in with a external HD only, boom plug and play.
but you can literally head but center-screen
DJWarrenKelly 1:14 AM - 9 March, 2011
Had a discussion about the screen thing with this guy because of his setup...I think its just to show how ballin he is....there is no real need for a 2 sided HUGE touchscreen to DJ with..just my opinion of course.

www.serato.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:15 AM - 9 March, 2011
i just wanna be part of this thread
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:15 AM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
Had a discussion about the screen thing with this guy because of his setup...I think its just to show how ballin he is....there is no real need for a 2 sided HUGE touchscreen to DJ with..just my opinion of course.

www.serato.com

that was cool actually
DJ_Phenom 1:26 AM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
Yea laptop on floor or behind you is cool! Also it has to be a Mac and on a milkcrate that you use to keep real records in, and it has to be technics ur spinning on and 400 dollar cvs u got on ebay that there are only limited amounts worlwide, and a gshock watch.

agreed, people need to step their game up.
sixxx 1:35 AM - 9 March, 2011
I have to agree that having the laptop right in front of your face (and I mean covering your face, like it has been clarified) kinda disconnects you from your crowd. I mean, as a DJ, you should be able to see your crowd SO YOU CAN READ THEM. If you have to be moving to the side to see your crowd one or a few things could be wrong here. 1. Maybe your laptop stand is too tall? 2. Maybe you're too short? 3. Maybe your laptop is way too big? Lots of possibilities.

When I started with ScratchLive in 2004, I had an iBook. I loved it because I could place it behind the mixer on top of the mixer case. No laptop stand. It doesn't cover my face and, most importantly, it doesn't block my view of the dancefloor.

I THINK THAT SHOULD BE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING... nothing blocking your view of the dancefloor. I don't care if it's a laptop or someone's fat head in front of the DJ set up

In 2007, I got a 13" macbook. Again, it still fits behind the mixer on top of the mixer case. Again, it doesn't block my view of the crowd.

Also, just cause I have this set up doesn't mean that I haven't DJ'ed with the laptop to the side. I have. I can do it either way. I prefer it in front of me because it's easy to search for songs. I use codes instead of crates, so it's a necessity for me to have quick access to the keyboard.

Anyway, it doesn't matter how most DJ's do it to me cause most DJ's suck anyway. It matters how it feels to me. It ain't about looks for me. It's about comfort and speed in selecting songs, etc. no misquote.
Dj Shamann 1:40 AM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
I
Anyway, it doesn't matter how most DJ's do it to me cause most DJ's suck anyway.

LOL
sixxx 1:48 AM - 9 March, 2011
hahaha. No need for a misquote on that one.... lmao

no misquote
FunkyRob 1:51 AM - 9 March, 2011
I keep my laptop in the bathroom so no one can accuse me of reading waveforms.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:51 AM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
While I used to always want mine set to the side, I now have it front and center. However, I ALWAYS HAVE IT SITTING LOW because I think it looks like shit when it's in front of the DJ's face.

WTF... original creator of the thread says now it's ok to have a laptop in front?????

We'll give a pass for the sitting low thing, I feel U on that one. Here's a facebook pic of the cramped DJ booth at the bar me and my buddy spin on Saturdays...

a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

Different angle (wall where we now project video): img291.imageshack.us

Crappy low res camera phone pic - laptop low: img198.imageshack.us - angle seen from dancefloor

Last mobile gig I did - laptop nice and low - img714.imageshack.us (we were tag teaming - I use Serato and he used Traktor and we shared a turntable)
DJ_Phenom 2:18 AM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
Last mobile gig I did - laptop nice and low - img714.imageshack.us (we were tag teaming - I use Serato and he used Traktor and we shared a turntable)

I hope you used protection...
DJ Renier 3:52 AM - 9 March, 2011
I think what Manny means is not to hide behind your laptop. I've seen this with many mobile DJs and some club DJs.

Even those who are not trying to hide because of stage fright or whatever, sometimes look as if they are or look as if they want nothing to do with the people dancing.
ZESH! 4:13 AM - 9 March, 2011
Seems to me that some people don't need to move their Laptop. They just need a Milk Crate to stand on so they can see in front of them.

Your puter is going to block some sort of view no matter where you place it. Left, Right, or directly in front of you. It's really not that big a deal. If your grill is stuck on the screen for most of the night, you don't need to move your laptop, you need to stop staring at the damn thing and look up every once in a while.
dj skraps 5:52 AM - 9 March, 2011
i dont see how a 13'' or even a 15'' screen is gonna block your view of the dancefloor
Hassle 9:53 AM - 9 March, 2011
I don't like the lappie in the dead center in front of me. preferably it's 90 degrees on the right of me, like I have it at home i56.tinypic.com
Since I got dicers I hardly touch the damn thing anymore, just track selection and that's it.

I don't need it whatsoever, but sometimes when I am gigging and there's only a laptop stand in front of me, I catch myself looking at the waveforms...
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:10 PM - 9 March, 2011
Hassle,
Your dog lost its head!

lol
What is that?
Hassle 1:17 PM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
Hassle,
Your dog lost its head!

lol
What is that?

www.sandermulder.com

they sound great!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:18 PM - 9 March, 2011
creapy! LOL
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:19 PM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
creapy! LOL

spelling fail!
thewevel 2:13 PM - 9 March, 2011
guys i am getting dressed, will the real djs tell me what to my gig tonight? i don't want to look RETARDED AS HELL from the audience's perspective
thewevel 2:13 PM - 9 March, 2011
guys i am getting dressed, will the real djs tell me what to wear my gig tonight? i don't want to look RETARDED AS HELL from the audience's perspective

can ssl 2.3 include an edit feature in the forums software
Joshua Carl 3:25 PM - 9 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Hassle,
Your dog lost its head!

lol
What is that?

www.sandermulder.com

they sound great!

damn...Id be def be playing creepy barking sounds when people are over to fuck with them.
howcome 3:49 PM - 9 March, 2011
Yep, my ginormous 13in Macbook blocks the whole dance floor from view, while I stand like a statue behind it never moving.

Super dope, Serato using, keeping it real dj: Pauly D and all hollywood dj's suck and people only want to see them play because of their looks or fame.

Super dope, Serato using, keeping it real dj: If your laptop blocks the crowd from staring at you, you suck.
SELECT 3:59 PM - 9 March, 2011
I think using cue points, loops, effects with serato is much easier/quicker when the laptop is in front. I do however prefer it off to the side. I feels more open, less constrained. Sometimes it feels like the laptop is the way even though its not.
DJ metaphor 4:35 AM - 10 March, 2011
When i get a kontrol X1 or a TTM57. Ill probably start putting it under the table.
jwagner 6:10 AM - 10 March, 2011
I like to set up 32 laptops around me in a circle.
ta2423 4:13 PM - 10 March, 2011
^nice was thinking about that. Great idea for backup.
DJ Teh 5:00 PM - 10 March, 2011
On my mobile rig its in front of me because thats the only place it can go, and this is the same situation in a club for me.

Some booths have flipping great shield in front of you anyway so why does it matter?
DJ Teh 5:01 PM - 10 March, 2011
**** In a club it goes where it fits and is useable.
Sureshot (PA) 8:42 PM - 10 March, 2011
i have a clear screen so i can read the crowd thru my waveforms. like the matrix.
SELECT 8:48 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:
i have a clear screen so i can read the crowd thru my waveforms. like the matrix.

You know what, that would actually be pretty dope.
Joshua Carl 9:01 PM - 10 March, 2011
this is where its going:
www.travelgadgets.org

no laptop anywhwere in site, mini-display port to video wifi card to ur glasses.
DJ DisGrace 9:33 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:
this is where its going:
www.travelgadgets.org

no laptop anywhwere in site, mini-display port to video wifi card to ur glasses.

crab = blink fast
Joshua Carl 9:45 PM - 10 March, 2011
man...Im just thinkin on how wild it would be to shut your laptop.
put it in a nice, safe, cold environment and have your interface on the corner
of your glasses so u can glance up whenever you need to to scroll your crates or whatever..
whether your a die hard wave rider, or someone who only looks to find tracks.
you would no longer have the leash in the booth...

that + Ipad controller you could totally spin from the shitter.
our judgement day has come!
BERTO 9:50 PM - 10 March, 2011
U can do touch screen ssl on ipad with remote desktop apps...
Temper Mental 1:57 PM - 26 May, 2013
I put my laptop WHEREVER it fits... and Its NOT impossible to involve the crowd while searching through your crates. I like to make faces like.."where is that song i know these folks are gonna love?....." Followed by pointing at the laptop, nodding and giving the face "there it is! this is the heater!" A quick nod then drop. Hell, throw a bandana over the LT and do that shit blind for a few tracks. Incorporate!
DJ Literal 1:00 AM - 27 May, 2013
Waste of a thread, do what's comfortable. Who cares what the crowd or other DJs think? That's like "why aren't you all playing Deep House all the time? I love it so if you don't you're stupid".

Yea, get a clue.
Dj R. Driver 1:47 AM - 27 May, 2013
im going to start djn without a laptop so i can tell ppl to fuck off for the cha cha slide request
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:14 AM - 27 May, 2013
Quote:
im going to start djn without a laptop so i can tell ppl to fuck off for the cha cha slide request

Those are the high paying gigs! Unless you are a superstar dj then F' em!

LOL
Dj R. Driver 3:04 AM - 27 May, 2013
as im playing the cha cha slide at a gig in my pic lol
DjHI 7:17 AM - 22 August, 2014
Really this is a topic? Tis tis
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:38 PM - 22 August, 2014
About a year or two ago it was
deejdave 1:53 AM - 26 August, 2014
HAHA!! Lotta resurrections lately. Mi tinks da people are bored!!
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:34 AM - 26 August, 2014
New age dj's think diggin in the crates means bringing back old threads
ta2423 12:50 PM - 26 August, 2014
Personally I just use the new hover board laptop stand. It kinda just floats around seamlessly as far as the usb's will allow it.
Manny C dot com 6:14 PM - 28 August, 2014
#ThingsMannyShouldn'tHaveSaid
phonze 6:17 PM - 28 August, 2014
Unless you're like 5'2" I don't see how the laptop in front of you is going to cover up your face and make it look stupid to the audience