Scratch Live Help

Need help with Serato Scratch Live? Ask here.

Quicktime and Serato not working correctly

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane TTM 57SL
Computer
PC
OS
Windows 7 (64 bit)
Platform
-
GH0 6:14 AM - 25 February, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: rane-ttm57sl
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

I have been having several issues, one of my bigger issues is that Serato won't import m4a or mp4 files because it can't find quicktime, but it is installed.

Quicktime version is 7.6.9 Build 1680.9

I originally thought that the issue was that it was because I didn't have it linked to the correct system, but, that was not the issue. Or, it might have been because the folder that it is searching for was located in the wrong spot, so I made a symlink between Program Files and Program Files (x86) which again did nothing.

Beyond this problem though, I do experience crashes to desktop quite often, usually when I am either in the process of going through crates, analyzing files, or unplugginig the TTM57SL from the laptop after I am done with it.

What files, or logs would you need for these crashes to be corrected and debugged?
GH0 9:14 PM - 27 February, 2011
I have attempted to reinstall, and uninstall all files (including my _serato_ folder, and it's backup, and the problem still exists.

This is quite annoying.
Michael R 4:01 AM - 28 February, 2011
Hi GH0,

If you open the Setup screen and go to the Library panel, do you have the "Import AAC files" option checked?

Quote:
Beyond this problem though, I do experience crashes to desktop quite often, usually when I am either in the process of going through crates, analyzing files, or unplugginig the TTM57SL from the laptop after I am done with it.

What files, or logs would you need for these crashes to be corrected and debugged?

If you're getting crashes, a crash dump file is what we'd need to look at. There's an article explaining how to do this here -> www.serato.com (click link). Once you have one, please attach it to this thread and let us know what you were doing at the time the crash happened.

Thanks!
GH0 7:57 AM - 1 March, 2011
I do have the "Import AAC Files" option checked, however, I am manually adding the quicktime-needed files that I want to play myself.

Next time I experience a crash, I will upload a log. The funny bit is, the software runs perfectly fine on my desktop. Though, obviously, I can't carry a desktop around with me every where I go. :D
GH0 8:16 AM - 1 March, 2011
I sorta wish there was an editing option here. :D

I am not aware if me adding the files manually has anything to do with them. I don't use iTunes to organize my music at all (though I probably should start, I just, well, hate it).

So, if that is what it is supposed to do (I didn't read that part of the manual as I didn't intend to use iTunes at all), then I guess I will need to re-read that.
Michael R 11:54 PM - 2 March, 2011
Hey GH0,

No, you don't need to use iTunes at all if you don't want to :) The "Import AAC Files" option just allows you to import QuickTime files into your library, which you can do manually.

Is Scratch Live giving you an error message when you try to import these files, or is it just not letting you do it?
GH0 3:23 AM - 3 March, 2011
It imports fine, however, it just won't play them. Usually with the message:
"[filenamehere] - Cannot be played because quicktime can't be found"
Michael R 4:58 AM - 4 March, 2011
I've heard of another using having this issue before, where somehow the Scratch Live database corrupts and won't let these files play. I'd suggest that you try making a new database and see if that helps, there's an article explaining how to do this here -> www.serato.com (click link).

Please let me know if this helps or not.
Culprit 6:45 AM - 4 March, 2011
Can I also recommend you uninstall quicktime 7.6.9 and use the one that comes with vsl 1.2 which is 7.6.2? I was having weird problems with ssl+vsl and that seem to fix it.
GH0 6:38 AM - 6 March, 2011
Quote:
Can I also recommend you uninstall quicktime 7.6.9 and use the one that comes with vsl 1.2 which is 7.6.2? I was having weird problems with ssl+vsl and that seem to fix it.

This is a solution to the problem, it does work.

However, I guess, the reason that I bring up the issue with the latest software, is that I don't like running outdated software packages.

I don't know of any differences that should keep the latest version from cooperating with Serato Scratch Live.
Michael R 3:41 AM - 24 March, 2011
Hi GH0,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I have been away from work.

I'm glad that you've found a workaround, it's interesting to hear that it's not working with QuickTime 7.6.9. If you now upgrade QuickTime, do you start having this error again?
4:00 AM, 7 Apr 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.